PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

son_of_foley
August 14th, 2014, 1:20 AM
Ward is great. I said that to sof years ago while he was saying how Steve McLaren was a fraud at Boro and is rubbish in the transfer market.

I think McLaren did make some huge fuckups with transfers at Boro and probably forest (not sure if the panel was still there tho as if so hard to blame him)

Ringo
August 16th, 2014, 6:11 PM
United close to signing Benatia from Roma appaz. Presumably close to 30m as that was the fee being touted earlier in the Summer.

Also, CAMBIASSO to Leicester! :eek:

Ringo
August 17th, 2014, 11:59 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/eliaquim-mangala-joins-manchester-city-agent-reportedly-scoops-142m-as-mangala-becomes-most-expensive-premier-league-defender-9662216.html

Independent article suggesting Mangala actually cost City 43m with his agent Jorge Mendes getting 14.2m!

RuneEdge
August 19th, 2014, 2:59 PM
Marcos Rojo wrapped up. Di Maria apparantly on the way. :yes:

El Capitano Gatisto
August 19th, 2014, 3:08 PM
He was on the way last month as well when he had "agreed terms." Didn't happen then, won't happen now. Di Maria won't go from Real Madrid to a team outside the Champions League. If he doesn't leave, Ancelotti will happily use him.

Beefy
August 19th, 2014, 3:17 PM
Surely no player would turn Manchester United down because they're not in the Champions League? They're still Manchester United.

Another year or two then maybe. It isn't like he'd be moving to Leicester.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 19th, 2014, 3:27 PM
He's 26 years old. It's not the time for him to be dropping from the champions of Europe to a team in complete disarray.

Ringo
August 19th, 2014, 3:37 PM
Rojo will presumably play on the left side of the three then, as well as filling in for Shaw when necessary. Evans in there. Still think they need one more properly class centre back.

MMH
August 19th, 2014, 3:43 PM
Rojo will presumably play on the left side of the three then, as well as filling in for Shaw when necessary. Evans in there. Still think they need one more properly class centre back.

I saw Manolos was linked with a 6M move to Arsenal today. They could do a lot worse than getting a piece of that.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 19th, 2014, 4:47 PM
Juventus are supposedly in for Manolas as well. He does seem a good option for any team at a reasonable price.

Andy
August 19th, 2014, 6:18 PM
Big rumours that City are willing to let Nastasic go. I'd love us to try for him.

MMH
August 19th, 2014, 6:42 PM
Big rumours that City are willing to let Nastasic go. I'd love us to try for him.

Been linked with us on loan today. Cant see it myself though i suppose it makes sense if they want to keep him.

We are fairly well covered at CB though.

Red Dog
August 20th, 2014, 6:29 AM
I think McLaren did make some huge fuckups with transfers at Boro and probably forest (not sure if the panel was still there tho as if so hard to blame him)

He had free reign at Forest.

Ishmael Miller
Matt Derbyshire
Jonathan Greening
George Boateng

To be fair he also brought Andy Reid back so that bumps his success rate up to 20%.

Ringo
August 21st, 2014, 6:23 AM
Liverpool fans' thoughts on this Balotelli deal? 16m apparently. He's apparently just told reporters today is his last with Milan.

Chris Scott
August 21st, 2014, 6:26 AM
Ain't going to lie, I would love us to sign him. Nutter yes but quality. Rodgers loves playing dad to the mad ones, I'm sure he will look after him.

Bad Collin
August 21st, 2014, 7:32 AM
I'm with Chris. This is very exciting.

Beefy
August 21st, 2014, 7:41 AM
It won't happen lads. I picked him up in RFF. Might as well move onto other targets now.

Gary J
August 21st, 2014, 7:50 AM
Oh great Balotelli is coming back. So we'll get to hear about all his wacky antics off the field every fucking day. The man is a cunt and i can never understand the love he gets on here.

Still another reason to hate Liverpool is not a bad thing.

Andy
August 21st, 2014, 8:07 AM
Can't see this ending well.

Chris Scott
August 21st, 2014, 8:36 AM
Oh great Balotelli is coming back. So we'll get to hear about all his wacky antics off the field every fucking day. The man is a cunt and i can never understand the love he gets on here.

Still another reason to hate Liverpool is not a bad thing.

Now now Gary.

Romford Pele
August 21st, 2014, 8:53 AM
Balotelli will be hilarious if he tries to a drag back when through on goal like he did at City :lol:

Nastasic would be great but cant see City selling to a rival. He'll go abroad.

Gary J
August 21st, 2014, 12:05 PM
Ringo is Lewis Baker any good?

We are supposedly going to be getting someone from Chelsea on loan and while Van Ginkel and Salah are the names being thrown about. We had a Chelsea fan claim it was Lewis Baker.

Peter Griffin
August 21st, 2014, 12:34 PM
Lewis Baker made his debut against us in the F.A. cup ... cant say how good he is though, only played 90 seconds :happysad:

Ringo
August 21st, 2014, 2:23 PM
He was supposed to be off to Boro to join Bamford and Omeruo.

He was our young player of the year last season, and understandably so. He captained the Under 21 side that won the league and seemed to be involved in all the big moments towards the end of the season - scoring many important goals or setting them up. Many described him as the league's outstanding player.

Here's a rather good one against Arsenal, won the club's goal of the season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-U-ayMx_XI

It seems like his stock generally rose a lot and people have started to really take him seriously as a genuine prospect. He was one of the three young English players Mourinho picked out this Summer, saying he'll blame himself if they don't all go on to play for England. He's good at a lot of things really - his only obvious flaws seem to be physically rather than technically. He's comfortable on the ball, has an eye for a pass, his delivery is good, he scores when it matters (different types of goals too - scores a lot of free kicks and 30 yard screamers but gets into the box at the right time as well), he's a leader on the pitch, he's versatile etc. Concerns have been expressed that the transition into men's football could take some time though (on the pitch and in the gym) and he hasn't had a loan yet so while I wouldn't be surprised if a Premier League club are in for him already, I do wonder if it would be the right move at this point.

As for Salah and van Ginkel, I haven't been too impressed with either (although most of that has been in preseason). They look all potential. However, letting one go could leave us thin in those areas. I guess one foreign player has to go - and if it's not going to be Cech it'll have to be one of them. If Salah goes out on loan, letting Moses go to Stoke will look particularly stupid.

Bad Collin
August 22nd, 2014, 9:28 AM
It seems that Mario is having his medical and we have 'asked for assurances on his behaviour'. I have no idea what we could get him to sign to that effect.

Beefy
August 22nd, 2014, 9:41 AM
I don't think it will happen. Why on Earth would Liverpool make public these 'good behaviour' clauses?

Bad Collin
August 22nd, 2014, 9:48 AM
I know. We don't have a great track record with keeping people in line and a worse record with dealing with them once they happen. You'd think the club would just play his behaviour issues down.

Romford Pele
August 22nd, 2014, 9:52 AM
This will either be a masterstroke or it will ruin Liverpools season.

Bad Collin
August 22nd, 2014, 10:00 AM
Neither of those is likely

Slare
August 22nd, 2014, 11:11 AM
I don't think it will happen. Why on Earth would Liverpool make public these 'good behaviour' clauses?

Surely a bit of face-saving for Rodgers more than anything. Him saying last month thats no way that he would be coming to Liverpool due to beaviour and work ethic and whatnot to this makes him seem like he's desperate/not making the decisions. Now he can say - well look, we comprimised, he's coming in but its my rules kind of thing.

Ringo
August 23rd, 2014, 2:03 PM
According to BALLAGUE, Di Maria has chosen United.

Shit.

Class as he is though, I will laugh if they spend 60m on him and don't buy another CB/CM.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 23rd, 2014, 2:19 PM
Balague talks shite a lot of the time but he's really went balls out with this one, no fucking about. I really didn't think he'd go there but I can't see this sort of report going up on the Sky Sports website if there's not something behind it given all the detail involved.

Fantastic player and great signing. Anywhere on the pitch that he is asked to play he does a job. He was Real Madrid's engine last season and Ancelotti is probably pretty fed up he's going.

BBF
August 23rd, 2014, 2:21 PM
So Man United are going for 'you score 4, we'll score 5'?

Bad Collin
August 23rd, 2014, 2:21 PM
So United could have Rooney/RVP/Mata/DiMaria in attack and Rojo/Smalling/Evans/Jones at the back. Very strange.

Ringo
August 23rd, 2014, 2:23 PM
Lots of people asking how Rooney/RVP/Mata/Di Maria fit into a 3-5-2 - but I really can't imagine he's still set on that (if he ever truly was). Just does not have the personnel for it.

BBF
August 23rd, 2014, 2:27 PM
Do they only have Rafael, Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rojo and Shaw as proper first team defenders? Surely people like Varela and Keane won't be serious contenders to start?

El Capitano Gatisto
August 23rd, 2014, 2:31 PM
Di Maria has played left-sided central midfield for Argentina and Real Madrid, and been superb at it. It depends what way Van Gaal wants to go, but he could either use him wide in a 3-5-2 or tuck him in a bit with another midfielder and Mata ahead. United still severely need a proper defensive midfielder, possibly two of them. I'm not sure how good Daley Blind really is and he doesn't really seem physically powerful enough, the limited number of times I've seen Ajax I was always more impressed with Siem de Jong in their midfield, but he would at least be available and would fit there.

It does seem more likely he would go back to the Dutch style 4-3-3 he normally plays and played qualifying for the World Cup, with Mata playing the Sneijder role from midfield. Where it leaves Rooney is the question, he's definitely best used as a striker now.

I don't think the defensive personnel is a huge problem, defending can be as much about shape and organisation as it is about the ability of the players involved. Evans is a very good defender, Jones looked like being one at one point or another and Blackett looks useful. Smalling has regressed terribly from a not exactly high starting point, so he is a bit of a problem. None of the Dutch defenders at the World Cup were great players but Van Gaal's system made them look great at times.

RuneEdge
August 23rd, 2014, 3:55 PM
Do they only have Rafael, Smalling, Jones, Evans, Rojo and Shaw as proper first team defenders? Surely people like Varela and Keane won't be serious contenders to start?
LvG likes Blackett, more so than Smalling and Jones. He prefers younger players who more receptive to the changes he's bringing to the club, and Blackett seems decent from the little we've seen so far.

As for Di Maria, LvG has already stated that he's playing 3-5-2 because of the players he has available to him, not necessarily because he thinks its the best formation. I think there's a quote somewhere saying he isnt using 4-3-3 because he doesnt have wingers like Ronaldo or Robben. With Di Maria in the team, he has the 4-3-3 option available to him again.
Having said that, Di Maria played centrally for Madrid during the end of the season, with Ronaldo and Bale on the flanks. Di Maria's comfortable there and if I'm guessing, I imagine he could play as the attacking midfielder just behind the two strikers in 3-5-2. With Herrera, Carrick, etc all out, I'd like to think Mata can fit into the two man midfield alongside Fletcher.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 23rd, 2014, 4:15 PM
I think he'd sooner play Di Maria deeper than Mata. Di Maria's pace, work rate, pressing and ability to win the ball are all important parts of his game. Picturing him solely as a tricky winger really misses a lot of what his game has been about for club and country over the past 3-4 years. Further, it was Van Gaal who converted Schweinsteiger from an attacking winger to a central midfielder. Van Gaal's interview with Gary Neville was interesting, in that his reasoning behind 3-5-2 is letting the wide players bomb on constantly, so perhaps he even sees Di Maria as taking either left or right wide position in a 3-5-2. I can see why there is talk of letting Welbeck go, as Januzaj will probably be used as a central forward if 3-5-2 is the formation, or will be taking up more time on the pitch in a 4-3-3. Hernandez will probably go too, as he offers little when he isn't scoring.

RuneEdge
August 23rd, 2014, 4:43 PM
Reason I'm saying he could player further up is because Mata doesnt get around the pitch like Di Maria does. Mata could potentially sit in the middle of the park and just play the ball around and try to pick out passes from deeper positions. Di Maria behind the strikers would be perfect since LvG shifts the shape of his front three during the match. He sometimes starts with two strikers and one man sitting behind, then switches to two wider forwards with one striker in the middle. Di Maria could make that work better than Mata could.

BBF
August 25th, 2014, 4:18 PM
Eto'o to Everton on a 2 year deal. MMH?

Bad Collin
August 25th, 2014, 6:14 PM
United to pay 59.7m for Di Maria. I hope he flops.

son_of_foley
August 26th, 2014, 3:40 AM
It's kind of mental really isn't it. The amount Di Maria, Mata and Feilani have cost.

Simon
August 26th, 2014, 4:11 AM
Di Maria is absolute top class and will improve their side greatly. Whether he will improve it to the extent that 60m spent on the areas of the side that most needed improving is another matter - SURELY if you have 60m to spend then looking at that squad you go straight out and buy a top centre back and a top defensive mid.

RuneEdge
August 26th, 2014, 4:14 AM
Fellaini - 27.5m
Mata - 37.1m
Shaw - 30m
Herrera - 28.9m
Rojo - 16m
Di Maria - 58.7m

So we've spent 198.2m within the last 12 months and so far have fuck all to show for it.

McBain
August 26th, 2014, 4:16 AM
The more you look at it the more it looks like Ferguson did what O'Neill did at Villa. Got out before the wheels fell off.

RuneEdge
August 26th, 2014, 4:25 AM
The league is a whole lot tougher now too IMO. Fergie's used to dealing with a "top four" battle. Seems like now there's a top six or seven, with the sort of players Everton and Spurs are gradually starting to attract to the club.

Beefy
August 26th, 2014, 6:07 AM
Fellaini - 27.5m
Mata - 37.1m
Shaw - 30m
Herrera - 28.9m
Rojo - 16m
Di Maria - 58.7m

So we've spent 198.2m within the last 12 months and so far have fuck all to show for it.

At the same time I've seen people moaning at the Glaziers and suggesting they wouldn't be in this mess had they not been there.

The makeup of the squad is horrifically lop-sided and there seems like there was no long-term plan for the last three or four years. Ferguson was a genius to win that last title with that squad and to then get out when he did.

turdpower
August 26th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Di Maria is absolute top class and will improve their side greatly. Whether he will improve it to the extent that 60m spent on the areas of the side that most needed improving is another matter - SURELY if you have 60m to spend then looking at that squad you go straight out and buy a top centre back and a top defensive mid.

5 days of the window to go :hyper:

turdpower
August 26th, 2014, 12:34 PM
REVEALED: How Angel Di Maria will help Man Utd land Arturo Vidal from the Express.

This is based on:

Man United buy Angel Di Maria from Real Madrid
This money allows Real Madrid to buy Falcao
This means Juventus won't get Falcao on loan (it's not explained why)
This means United can offer Hernandez to Juventus as bait to get Vidal.

He's definitely coming lads.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 26th, 2014, 6:25 PM

People keep saying stuff like this, but it's about opportunity. Di Maria is available, so you buy him. They need pace in attack and he's a superb player. It's a no-brainer. There's no sense in passing up one opportunity just because you also have other targets.

I would love to know who these top defenders are who are available. Benatia has gone to Bayern, United would struggle to attract a player over them. Apart from that, there are very few brilliant defenders around right now, less again available. Hummels was talked about but I think he's quite overrated and extremely susceptible to pace and Dortmund just don't want to sell him. What other defensive talent is there really going about? Again people mention guys like Vlaar, but I don't think he's better than what United have.

They need midfielders and have for years. I think they'll still bring in one of each and I think Van Gaal will want strong, confident players because the squad is on the floor at the moment. Di Maria will help because he works his balls off, is a tremendous talent and he is a winner.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 26th, 2014, 6:32 PM
Manolas would definitely be worth a bid for Man United in saying that. Looks a good defender, should be reasonably priced.

RuneEdge
August 26th, 2014, 7:06 PM
Van Der Sar was seen at Carrington today. Which sparked rumours that he was there to discuss the sale of Daley Blind. He seems like another left sided defender, similar to Marcos Rojo. I havent seen much of him but from the little I have, he doesnt seem like the kind of signing that's instantly going to improve our defence, and we need a quick fix right now.

We've been linked with Vermaelen, Benatia, Garay, and they've all moved onto other clubs. From what I could think of, that just leaves Miranda from Atletico as the last remaining centre back who hasnt been snapped up yet. I don't really know anything about him, but his name gets thrown around a lot lately.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 26th, 2014, 7:53 PM
Miranda is 29 years old and Atletico don't want to sell. Barcelona apparently tried to sign him and he didn't go, and Barca paid big dough for a 31 year old defender in Mathieu and for Vermaelan (who is already injured) because they are desperate too. He's a guy who has been around a while and played well under Simeone, he's not a great player, just one playing in a team who have been organised extremely well. This is really the point about defending, it's less about individuals and more about the system and organisation within it. Great players help, obviously, but there are very few great defenders about right now. Diego Godin is a top class defender, but Chelsea had a bid upwards of 30 million turned down for him several years ago and he's worth more to Atletico now.

Daley Blind is a defensive midfielder who has been used at left-back previously by Ajax and by Van Gaal for the national team during the World Cup. Not a central defender.

Grimario
August 26th, 2014, 8:05 PM
Manolas would definitely be worth a bid for Man United in saying that. Looks a good defender, should be reasonably priced.

His signing with Roma was done a few hours ago.

The Rosk
August 27th, 2014, 2:43 AM
I can see United bidding silly money for Vlaar on his last year now. That would hurt us, just need to hope Okore comes back incredibly strongly if so.

Gary J
August 27th, 2014, 5:34 AM
Abel Hernandez supposedly having a medical with us today as we've given up on Jordan Rhodes.

Excited about this even though I can't remember ever actually seeing him play apart from the confederations cup the other year. Still he seems highly rated and he gets in the Uruguay squad a fair bit so he must be fairly decent.

Simon
August 27th, 2014, 5:37 AM
Look after Daws for us Gary...I love that man.

Gary J
August 27th, 2014, 5:43 AM
We'll look after him he's already loved by most of our fans just because of his family connection.

Simon
August 27th, 2014, 5:50 AM
I just want him to be happy :(

Red Dog
August 27th, 2014, 8:02 AM
I love him too. Shame to see his career go downhill.

Apparently we get a sell on % but only of any profit you made. Which I presume isn't very much or anything at all.

Simon
August 27th, 2014, 8:10 AM
Some places are saying 3.5m and some are saying 6m, we signed him for 5m so if your info is right then it would need to be at the higher end, tbh I would be surprised if we got more than 5m as he's 30 now and hasn't had the best couple of years.

FWIW I think he will do well at Hull where he'll be able to do more 'proper' defending and won't be exposed by a high line (I don't think?), he's still very good at what he does but hasn't really suited our style since Redknapp left. He's a great leader, a good organiser and is better than you'd think at building back from the back with a good range of passing. His only issues are his frightening lack of pace both in full flight and especially on the turn, both of which should be less of an issue at Hull.

Winkle van Tinkle
August 27th, 2014, 8:41 AM
Will we just hurry up and sign Zigic please.

Hlebsfall
August 27th, 2014, 8:44 AM
What the fuck is going on. How is this happening.

The Rosk
August 27th, 2014, 8:56 AM
Heskey's available. http://www1.skysports.com/watch/tv-shows/goals-on-sunday/news/9440115/soccer-extra-emile-heskey-is-looking-for-a-new-club-and-is-open-to-offers

Peter Griffin
August 27th, 2014, 10:53 AM
We were heavily linked with a loan for Jordan Ibe a couple of days ago, but no developments since :(

Peter Griffin
August 28th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Zaha to palace on loan is a done deal.

Simon
August 28th, 2014, 11:12 AM
Seems to have gone under the radar a bit but Xabi Alonso has gone to Bayern for 8m. Quite an odd signing IMO, Madrid needed him and Bayern don't.

Also Manolas has gone to Roma, Benatia has gone to Bayern and Sao Paulo's Douglas has gone to Barca.

Chris Scott
August 28th, 2014, 11:54 AM
We should have snapped him up at that price.

Chris Scott
August 28th, 2014, 11:55 AM
We were heavily linked with a loan for Jordan Ibe a couple of days ago, but no developments since :(

Reports our end it's happening.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 28th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Seems to have gone under the radar a bit but Xabi Alonso has gone to Bayern for 8m. Quite an odd signing IMO, Madrid needed him and Bayern don't.

Also Manolas has gone to Roma, Benatia has gone to Bayern and Sao Paulo's Douglas has gone to Barca.

Real don't need him and Bayern do. They have serious injury problems in midfield, Javi Martinez has wrecked his knee and Thiago is out for a while again too. Schweinsteiger is injured too I think, plus they lost Kroos. Perfect signing for them, he's 100% reliable and he'll cover for all their absentees probably without expecting to first choice long term.

Ringo
August 28th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Bayern started the season with 17 year old Gaudino in midfield.

RFF Champ
August 28th, 2014, 3:14 PM
Bayern started the season with 17 year old Gaudino in midfield.

Very unlucky to have that goal disallowed as well.

Peter Griffin
August 28th, 2014, 5:08 PM
Cambiasso has joined Leicester and Del Piero has joined the Delhi team in the Indian league.

Simon
August 28th, 2014, 5:32 PM
Ah didn't realise Martinez was knacked, makes more sense now.

RuneEdge
August 28th, 2014, 5:35 PM
Cleverley gone to Villa

Romford Pele
August 29th, 2014, 4:50 AM
Source?

Still very quiet on Arsenal transfers...not sure whether thats good or bad

Andy
August 29th, 2014, 9:15 AM
Very bad. Window closes on Monday and we need two or three to maintain the status quo of fourth or four or five to push higher than that.

Romford Pele
August 29th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Not 4 or 5. 3 would be fine (CB, DMC & Striker).

We are ok at keeper, full back, attacking mid and on the flanks so where would the other 2 signings go?

Ringo
August 29th, 2014, 2:54 PM
Farewell Fernando :sadwave: / :wave:

Lovely guy but this had to end. Remy looking like the most likely replacement.

Ringo
August 29th, 2014, 2:54 PM
Also Telegraph saying Agger to Brondby and Saphir Taider who Southampton got on loan in exchange for Osvaldo has gone back to Inter already. Off the pace in training apparently.

RuneEdge
August 30th, 2014, 5:36 AM
Source?
Nothing credible. At this stage its probably bullshit since its been a few days since the news leaked, yet we've not had any official follow up on the story. At the time of reading, apparantly there were two offers for him, Villa and Valencia, and that he had chosen Villa. I think Sky had reported the Valencia bid.

BBF
August 30th, 2014, 5:42 AM
Admittedly I don't know for sure so I could be talking out of my arse but aren't both Blind and Rojo very left sided?

Be interesting to see how United line up when everyone is in.

turdpower
August 30th, 2014, 5:53 AM
Well once this Rojo deal falls on it's arse - it won't matter.

LVG needs to do that FM thing of offering Rojo another contract so his WP logo will disappear.

Romford Pele
August 30th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Chelsea have triggered Remys release clause now thar Torres has gone to Milan.

Good signing for Chelsea, fitness permitting, but why did Arsenal not get him?!'

Peter Griffin
August 30th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Because Wenger is a senile buffoon?

Peter Griffin
August 30th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Well once this Rojo deal falls on it's arse - it won't matter.

LVG needs to do that FM thing of offering Rojo another contract so his WP logo will disappear.

When did you last play FM? Because you cant do that these days to my knowledge.

Andy
August 30th, 2014, 5:18 PM
Not 4 or 5. 3 would be fine (CB, DMC & Striker).

We are ok at keeper, full back, attacking mid and on the flanks so where would the other 2 signings go?

We need at least one defender because we only have one right back and are short at centre back. We need a deep lying midfielder and two strikers. We needed one before Giroud got injured. Ornstein of the BBC reports we're not in for a striker and he's usually spot on. Another battle for fourth then.

Ringo
August 30th, 2014, 5:51 PM
Chambers can play right back though. I know Wenger apparently prefers him in the middle but he is still versatile - I don't see how that's any different to Ivanovic and Azpilicueta who, as you said, can also play in two positions.

Bad Collin
August 30th, 2014, 5:53 PM
If Falcao comes you'll be sorted. If Wenger can't challenge for the title with Ozil, Ramsey, Sanchez and Falcao then he never will.

Andy
August 30th, 2014, 5:56 PM
Can't see Falcao happening at all.

And Ringo Chambers is still an unknown quantity. Massive risk to have him as first reserve at right back and centre back with no alternative.

Mik
August 30th, 2014, 5:57 PM
When did you last play FM? Because you cant do that these days to my knowledge.

Does it matter?

Bad Collin
August 30th, 2014, 5:57 PM
You must have some youth players who can step up.

Andy
August 30th, 2014, 6:10 PM
You must have some youth players who can step up.

None at the level required I don't think.

Ringo
August 30th, 2014, 6:37 PM
"Sky sources" say Arsenal have also triggered Remy's release clause by the way...

Andy
August 30th, 2014, 6:46 PM
I'd be happy with that.

Peter Griffin
August 30th, 2014, 7:29 PM
Arsenal fan happy?

RFF Champ
August 31st, 2014, 2:23 AM
Remy will go to whoever offers him most money.

Mik
August 31st, 2014, 4:08 AM
Chelsea then.

Peter Griffin
August 31st, 2014, 5:45 AM
Does it matter?

Fuck me Mik calm yourself. I was only asking, work permits have been pretty stringent for a good few years as far as I know, hence the question.

Ringo
August 31st, 2014, 9:53 AM
Apparently Arsenal have "ended their interest" in Remy. Presumably because he's coming to us. Worth noting that his release clause is apparently only 8.5m for Champions League clubs, which explains why Arsenal only came in after their qualifier.

Andy
August 31st, 2014, 9:56 AM
Ornstein claims we only enquired because there was a chance of one of our forwards leaving which is no longer the case. So there we go, Joel Campbell and Yaya Sanogo are our strikers until January. :nono:

son_of_foley
August 31st, 2014, 9:59 AM
And Podolski and Sanchez and Walcott

Andy
August 31st, 2014, 10:02 AM
When have they ever looked like CL strikers? Wenger has only ever played Walcott there a couple of times - he clearly doesn't trust him there. And when he tried Podolski there he was crap. Sanchez will probably be used there but it's well documented he's at his best coming in from the wing. He was completely ineffectual up front against Everton.

Mik
August 31st, 2014, 10:07 AM
That was only one game though Andy, hard to rule him out completely based on that.

Fuck me Mik calm yourself. I was only asking, work permits have been pretty stringent for a good few years as far as I know, hence the question.

What gave you the impression that I was not calm?

Peter Griffin
August 31st, 2014, 10:08 AM
The 'tude.

Andy
August 31st, 2014, 10:19 AM
I'm not ruling him out but I don't think he'll become first choice. Sanogo starts today.

Ringo
August 31st, 2014, 12:14 PM
Remy official. I like how the release clause was 8.5m when Liverpool were signing him but is now 10.5m (it's 10.5m EUROS by all accounts). Typical.

van Ginkel going to Milan on loan as well by the sound of it.

Costa, Remy, Drogba, Fabregas & Luis (+ Courtois & Zouma joining) in this summer for a net spend of about -1m. Rather good really.

turdpower
August 31st, 2014, 1:22 PM
I assume because Chelsea and Arsenal only needed to meet the release clause that therefore the decision was purely Remy's.

No really sure why he would choose Chelsea, as he's never being going into their first XI. He'd probably get in Arsenal's.

Mik
August 31st, 2014, 1:25 PM
For the next 4 months certainly.

Ringo
August 31st, 2014, 1:26 PM
He's got more of a chance of pushing Giroud out of the side than Costa probably but most Arsenal fans seem to think he'd have been the number two striker like he'll be for us.

RuneEdge
August 31st, 2014, 2:07 PM
Shinji, you break my heart. :(

Ringo
August 31st, 2014, 2:53 PM
Hernandez off to Real on loan apparently. I wonder where Falcao is going then. BALLAGUE says if Negredo goes on loan to Valencia he might go to City.

edit: Which is terrifying.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 31st, 2014, 3:23 PM
Sounds like he might end up at City late tomorrow night if they pull a few tricks. In on loan with a permanent move next year perhaps. I'd love to see him out of the shite French league and in the Premier League to be honest. He's spent too much of his career in backwaters.

RFF Champ
August 31st, 2014, 3:26 PM
Remy moved to QPR for money. This is no surprise at all.

turdpower
August 31st, 2014, 4:05 PM
Moving for money when you get in the starting XI is a no brainer compared to what he has chosen.

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 4:47 AM
Everyone's saying Falcao off to United now...

RuneEdge
September 1st, 2014, 5:01 AM
:panic:

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2014, 5:04 AM
If Falcao goes to Man Utd then Wenger would have to bid for RVP, right?

RuneEdge
September 1st, 2014, 5:08 AM
According to all those "ITK" accounts and stories online, apparently RVP needs surgery and could be out for 4 months. Plus Rooney's told LvG that he's willing to play in midfield to make way for Falcao if needed.

4 different Colombian sources and L'equipe claimed this morning that the deal to United was done. Now ITV and Eurosports are reporting the news.

Is this actually gonna happen? :eek:

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 5:10 AM
De Gea

Rojo

Blind - Shaw

Herrera - Young

Mata - Di Maria

Rooney - Falcao

van Persie

:yes:

RuneEdge
September 1st, 2014, 5:12 AM
Ah, the ol' 1-2-2-2-2-1. :yes:

RFF Champ
Being realistic there's no way Man Utd pay the money, is there?

Ringo
Collymore said United have confirmed they're speaking to him. BALLAGUE says it's a done deal. 65m€!

"Falcao has played as a defender at youth level, apparently #mufc"

:D

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2014, 5:13 AM
De Gea

Rojo

Blind - Shaw

Herrera - Young

Mata - Di Maria

Rooney - Falcao

van Persie

UK Blue will come and tell us about the time Alain Perrin payed that formation at Pompey in a minute.

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 5:17 AM
Ok now it's a 12m loan deal.

RuneEdge
September 1st, 2014, 5:17 AM
https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ

Sky have "confirmed" it. :eek:

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2014, 5:18 AM
Allardyce must be the only person not to rate Diame. Played him at left wing all last season and now selling him to Hull.

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 5:19 AM
I'm not ready for United to be great again :(

Apparently Arsenal enquired.

Toby Alderweireld going to Southampton on loan apparently. Good signing.

Beefy
September 1st, 2014, 5:22 AM
They won't be great until they get another two defenders and a midfelder. They must be the most top-heavy side since Spurs under Ardiles.

Happy to see Falcao in the Premier League though and even happier to see him anywhere other than City #RFF

RuneEdge
September 1st, 2014, 5:23 AM
The Mail just said that its a 1 year loan that's gonna cost us 12m plus 200k a week.
Unless there's an option to buy at the end, I dunno what to make of that.

Either way, its going to be kind of surreal seeing him, Di Maria, RVP, etc all playing this season.

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 5:24 AM
Don't forget Galacticos Real Madrid. Zidane, Figo, Raul, Ronaldo, Beckham etc. in front of Raul Bravo, Francisco Pavon and Salgado.

Rip
September 1st, 2014, 5:27 AM
De Gea

Rojo

Blind - Shaw

Herrera - Young

Mata - Di Maria

Rooney - Falcao

van Persie

Van Gaal gone by January, unbelievable array of talent, but you know it just won't work.

RuneEdge
September 1st, 2014, 5:27 AM
How did a team without CL football sign Di Maria and Falcao? I still can't believe this.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2014, 5:29 AM
How did a team without CL football sign Di Maria and Falcao? I still can't believe this.

$$$$$

Beefy
September 1st, 2014, 5:31 AM
I've said for years that the desire for Champions League football is a huge load of bollocks. Players want to go to Champions League clubs because those are the clubs who tend to pay big money.

Who wouldn't want to join Manchester United? They're one of the biggest clubs in the World and pay ridiculous wages. Why should any player give a shit if they don't have to play an extra dozen games a season?

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 5:32 AM
Falcao has already shown he's not that arsed by going to play for Monaco in front of about 8 people for 400m pw.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2014, 5:37 AM
If they sign a defender then they're looking pretty good. All these players won't play at the same time and they still have Carrick, Herrera and Fletcher to play centrally as well as Nick Powell and Ben Pearson capable of stepping up from the youth team.

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 5:39 AM
"Falcao loan deal would make United's summer the second biggest transfer window spend in history (after Real Madrid 09/10)."

Someone wrote into football weekly saying their squad was already the most expensive in PL history.

RuneEdge
September 1st, 2014, 5:53 AM
I was hoping Shinji was sold to sweeten any potential deal for Hummels. But that was before all the Falcao madness this morning.

As for the midfield, I think if you play Daley Blind as a defensive midfielder, him along with Herrera, Carrick, Fletcher, Di Maria, Mata, and maybe Rooney, we're probably covered.

I'm thinking we might try going back to a flat back four and playing Marcos Rojo in there, before we decide on whether we need to sign another centreback. So surely Falcao's the last signing for now.

Rip
September 1st, 2014, 5:54 AM
It's going to be great to watch, bit like us in the 95/96 and 96/97 seasons, but more talent.

But you can't honestly look at that side and say it'll really work, it's like LVG just decided to buy his FIFA side.

RuneEdge
September 1st, 2014, 5:58 AM
The array of attacking talent (especially strikers) in the EPL will be great to watch this season. Shame that Suarez couldnt stick around for this.

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 6:01 AM
Jorge Mendes has made so much money this Summer. 6 of his top 11 clients have moved this window.

http://i.imgur.com/oV7Y5wZ.png

RuneEdge
September 1st, 2014, 6:05 AM
Carvalho could still move too.

Alf
September 1st, 2014, 7:34 AM
Is it deadline day?

RuneEdge
September 1st, 2014, 7:38 AM
Falcao's agent says the deal is a permanent one but FFP rules meant that the first year would have to be a loan. So the previously reported 4 year deal might be true. :yes:

Is it deadline day?
http://i.imgur.com/V1i2y51.gif

Peter Griffin
September 1st, 2014, 7:42 AM
UK Blue will come and tell us about the time Alain Perrin payed that formation at Pompey in a minute.

Does he even post anymore?

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 7:57 AM
But presumably they could still pull out of paying 50m if they don't want to, right? So it essentially option to buy.

The Torres deal is a loan for FFP purposes as well. Means we can continue to pay off his transfer fee over the next two years rather than all at once.

Beefy
September 1st, 2014, 8:17 AM
Has anyone seen anything to suggest that wages have been agreed for Falcao? He's on serious money in Monaco and with tax on top he'd be on a huge amount more than Rooney unless he's taking a big paycut or Monaco are paying a chunk.

Peter Griffin
September 1st, 2014, 8:55 AM
Defoe to Arsenal?

Alf
September 1st, 2014, 10:57 AM
Latest rumour is Mane to southampton for 12m, Schneiderlin to us for 22m, Townsend +11m for Rodriguez.

Alf
September 1st, 2014, 10:57 AM
Sandro to QPR for 10m too. Which would be a big shame. I'd rather us get rid of Dembele if we had to.

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 11:07 AM
Chalobah's gone to Burnley on loan until January initially. Good test for him, a chance to impress in the Premier League after disappointing loan spells in the Championship last season.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2014, 11:57 AM
Chalobah's gone to Burnley on loan until January initially. Good test for him, a chance to impress in the Premier League after disappointing loan spells in the Championship last season.

Why were they disappointing? Really good player, he won't have any trouble in that league. It also frees up David Jones to play higher up the pitch.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2014, 11:58 AM
Latest rumour is Mane to southampton for 12m, Schneiderlin to us for 22m, Townsend +11m for Rodriguez.

They seem pretty set on the fact that Schneiderlin and Rodriguez are going nowhere.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2014, 11:58 AM
I really can't believe we'd let Yanga Mbiwa go yet alone not have a replacement lined up. This is going to be like the deadline day we signed Sibierski at 1130pm.

Peter Griffin
September 1st, 2014, 12:02 PM
Why were they disappointing? Really good player, he won't have any trouble in that league. It also frees up David Jones to play higher up the pitch.

From what I hear he wasn't very good at Forest, but then again thats coming from Forest fans so who knows.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2014, 12:06 PM
He didn't start many there did he? He seemed to have a good spell at Boro though.

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 12:13 PM

Got sent off in his first game with Forest, clashed with Billy Davies and his form generally wasn't as consistent. It all turned a bit sour I think. He did okay at Middlesbrough by all accounts but didn't really push on considering he had had a fantastic season at Watford the year before and was expected to go to a Prem club (with Watford if they'd won that play-off final) for the season - he got injured over the summer which apparently put clubs off. Mourinho even suggested he would integrate him into the first team squad in 2014/15 at one point.

Anyway, back on track hopefully.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2014, 12:38 PM
Got sent off in his first game with Forest, clashed with Billy Davies and his form generally wasn't as consistent. It all turned a bit sour I think. He did okay at Middlesbrough by all accounts but didn't really push on considering he had had a fantastic season at Watford the year before and was expected to go to a Prem club (with Watford if they'd won that play-off final) for the season - he got injured over the summer which apparently put clubs off. Mourinho even suggested he would integrate him into the first team squad in 2014/15 at one point.

Anyway, back on track hopefully.

He wasn't used much in the Toulon tournament, but in the couple of games he started he looked much better than the rest. Ward-Prowse had a good tournament but I still think Chalobah was more impressive.

turdpower
September 1st, 2014, 12:38 PM
I don't know what to make of all this.

I just...

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 12:51 PM
Saido Mane and Alderweireld apparently having medicals at Southampton. Seen Mane talked up a lot. Could be a real force.

Bluemoon
September 1st, 2014, 1:21 PM
Sandro to QPR for 10m too. Which would be a big shame. I'd rather us get rid of Dembele if we had to.

Really? I don't understand why he hasn't done that well for you I think he's a brilliant player.

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 1:37 PM
Danny Welbeck having a medical at... Arsenal!?

Andy
September 1st, 2014, 1:37 PM
Is it 11 yet? :zzz:

Peter Griffin
September 1st, 2014, 1:42 PM
https://vine.co/v/OBFdgwMbV0F

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 1:45 PM
Zenit Saint Petersburg have signed Bart Simpson.

https://twitter.com/fczenit_en/status/506428123416498176

Zenit signs one of the biggest stars in the world just before the transfer window closes!!

http://i.imgur.com/pWosM7r.png

Good work AVB :yes:

Gary J
September 1st, 2014, 1:47 PM
Danny Welbeck having a medical at... Arsenal!?

That medical could be for anyone aren't England using Arsenals training ground? Pretty sure sky sports news said that this morning and that any medicals involving England players would be held there.

MMH
September 1st, 2014, 2:03 PM
Lads, Falcao is finished. You heard it here first.

I was right about Torres, I will be right about this. Mark my words.

Jay
September 1st, 2014, 2:08 PM
Shush MMH :squint:

MMH
September 1st, 2014, 2:10 PM
Allardyce must be the only person not to rate Diame. Played him at left wing all last season and now selling him to Hull.

Obviously not many rate him if Hull is the best he can do.

No offence to Hull of course.

Gary J
September 1st, 2014, 2:48 PM
I don't rate him that much either I think he got a bit overrated because Liverpool wanted hima while back and he had a few decent games. I know which West Ham midfielder I'd rather we had signed.

Mik
September 1st, 2014, 2:52 PM
Fuck Fabio Borini.

Chris Scott
September 1st, 2014, 2:55 PM
Wonder why he doesn't want to go to you after doing well last season and fitted in.

Gary J
September 1st, 2014, 2:56 PM
I don't understand why Sunderland kept waiting for him to sign when it was obvious he wasn't going to a few weeks back.

Chris Scott
September 1st, 2014, 2:58 PM
Yeah true the fee was agreed 6 weeks ago.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2014, 3:10 PM
I'm surprised City are selling Emyr Huws, he's a homegrown player and looks talented. It wouldn't have hurt to watch him develop on loan for another year.

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2014, 3:10 PM
Wonder why he doesn't want to go to you after doing well last season and fitted in.

He joined Liverpool after doing well at Roma, maybe he thinks he can do better than Sunderland. Which is fair enough, it would be a big step down in his career. Possibly he wants to see if he can make it as Liverpool since he hasn't been given much of a chance.

Bad Collin
September 1st, 2014, 3:18 PM
United's wage bill must be insane now, at what point is champions league football not worth it?

I think Blind is a great bit of business for 13.8m

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2014, 3:29 PM
That Falcao signing is unreal by the way. I was hoping he'd end up in a decent league again but this is probably the most interesting move he realistically could have made, besides maybe going to Arsenal. Wenger is a mug for not at least trying the same sort of deal, it could have turned his side into title challengers.

For Man Utd it's going to be interesting how they play it if everyone is fit. I think their squad is more balanced now than people think, especially bearing in mind di Maria is not the out and out winger that the press keeps describing him as. Blind is a good addition for midfield and defensive cover (di Maria provides drive and strength from there), while Herrera should improve things as he settles. The defence maybe doesn't have as big name personnel as the forward line but then defending is as much about organisation. I think they'll look better with more natural wing-backs and more dynamic players in midfield, in turn the centre-backs will be more comfortable playing out from the back with width to seek out and protection in front of them in terms of players who can get about and will keep the ball. I just don't think there are enormous improvements on the players they have realistically available, there is a real dearth of quality central defenders across world football and it is a better idea to try to build the organisation and confidence of the players they already have. There is a lot of versatility in the United squad now so van Gaal has scope for altering things as he sees fit.

Rooney and Van Persie both need a boot up the arse, Falcao arriving should do that.

Pablo Diablo
September 1st, 2014, 3:33 PM
As for the point about when champions league football is worth it, I think for United it's a case of not allowing their brand to become a joke. Which it still could, but they have to compete to keep their global presence, even if it's just competing in the market.

Mik
September 1st, 2014, 3:40 PM
He joined Liverpool after doing well at Roma, maybe he thinks he can do better than Sunderland. Which is fair enough, it would be a big step down in his career. Possibly he wants to see if he can make it as Liverpool since he hasn't been given much of a chance.

Liverpool seem to have made it pretty clear that they dont see him in their plans. I have no problem in him wanting to stay at Liverpool as it happens, but its the discussions with QPR that are a little grating, a team in a position to do nothing more than us other than pay more money...but then it sounds like he didnt want to go to them either.

turdpower
September 1st, 2014, 3:48 PM
Well he can be in with talks with QPR if they want him and make an offer to Liverpool - even if he has no intention of going.

Andy
September 1st, 2014, 3:49 PM
It's incredible that Wenger is in Italy reffing a charity match, it really is staggering.

While Man United show their intent, Chelsea strengthen, Liverpool sign in the areas they need to and even Spurs improve their squad.

As it stands our squad is weaker than last season.

Fabianski = Ospina
Sagna > Debuchy
Vermaelen > Chambers

Sanchez has been brought in but Jenkinson has left without being replaced and Giroud and Walcott have been long term injured without being replaced. Calum Chambers, a 19 year old with fewer than 30 career league appearances in being expected to cover for Debuchy, Koscielny AND Debuchy over the course of a season. UGH.

son_of_foley
September 1st, 2014, 3:52 PM
Fabianski is not the equal of ospina.
Vermalen is a long term injury risk.

I question if you get ANY enjoyment out of supporting arsenal

Rip
September 1st, 2014, 3:52 PM
HBA to Hull on a free is latest from our place.

Andy
September 1st, 2014, 3:57 PM
Fabianski is not the equal of ospina.
Vermalen is a long term injury risk.

I question if you get ANY enjoyment out of supporting arsenal

I admit I don't know much about Ospina but Fabianski is a very capable back up and seemingly a good first choice PL keeper.

Well maybe Chambers is of equal value to us as Vermaelen. Ormaybe he's better. But we're still well well short.

I support Arsenal and I'm not going to stop supporting them but it's the same mistakes season after season after season.

turdpower
September 1st, 2014, 4:00 PM
It's incredible that Wenger is in Italy reffing a charity match, it really is staggering.

While Man United show their intent, Chelsea strengthen, Liverpool sign in the areas they need to and even Spurs improve their squad.

As it stands our squad is weaker than last season.

Fabianski = Ospina
Sagna > Debuchy
Vermaelen > Chambers

Sanchez has been brought in but Jenkinson has left without being replaced and Giroud and Walcott have been long term injured without being replaced. Calum Chambers, a 19 year old with fewer than 30 career league appearances in being expected to cover for Debuchy, Koscielny AND Debuchy over the course of a season. UGH.

Wenger probably has no direct negotiations with players to be fair, him being in Rome is probably no issue.

I find it odd than SSN went from reporting Welbeck was having a medical to that he was not (like they are making their own news).

Andy
September 1st, 2014, 4:01 PM
It's reported that personal conversations with both Ozil and Sanchez is what clinched their transfers.

RFF Champ
HBA to Hull on a free is latest from our place.

On loan, I think.

son_of_foley
who would you have signed who moved and who of them would want to come be 4th choice cb?
Who in midfield and again who upfront?

Seemingly you couldn't compete with Chelsea on Remy or fabregas

Andy
September 1st, 2014, 4:08 PM
who would you have signed who moved and who of them would want to come be 4th choice cb?
Who in midfield and again who upfront?

Seemingly you couldn't compete with Chelsea on Remy or fabregas

Seemingly? We absolutely could've done. We had first refusal on Fabregas and if we wanted Remy we could've had him weeks ago. In fact, we probably could've had him for 8m the minute Giroud got injured.

It depends on the hypothetical ambition. Genuine attempts to get Subotic or Hummels early on. Rojo was obviously available for a reasonable price. Less ambition - someone like Ashley Williams to be third/fourth choice. Even less ambition - just don't let Jenkinson go without any replacement lined up.

Midfielders - Carvalho is highly rated as one example.

Forwards - Remy would've been easy. Why couldn't we rival the Man United bid for Falcao? Makes absolute perfect sense - one year deal = less commitment and eases the injury worries.

I'm not a scout but I cannot believe it hasn't been possible to strengthen the squad in the last couple of weeks.

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 4:12 PM
A one year loan deal that is apparently costing them something like 25-30m€ overall. That's a reasonable commitment.

son_of_foley
September 1st, 2014, 4:15 PM
It was reported you met Remy clause but then pulled out. Clearly you couldn't compete with the package at Chelsea.

Why would Rojo want to be 3rd choice or who are you dropping?

If you had bought Williams you would be complaining now too so what's the point?

Carvalho didn't want to move

son_of_foley
September 1st, 2014, 4:16 PM
A one year loan deal that is apparently costing them something like 25-30m€ overall. That's a reasonable commitment.

I'm almost certain they've committed to buying. Can't see what's in it for Monaco otherwise. Doesn't cover depreciation of his contract

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 4:18 PM
BBC says Welbeck to Arsenal done - permanent for 16m.

son_of_foley
September 1st, 2014, 4:18 PM
Plus he's rumoured to be earning 300k that won't unsettle the squad like

son_of_foley
September 1st, 2014, 4:19 PM

< Afobe obviously

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 4:19 PM
Probably, although the Monaco owner has pretty much given up on football by the sound of it. Lost 4bn in a divorce settlement and can't afford it any more.

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 4:22 PM
Diame, Hernandez, Ramirez & Ben Arfa - pretty good day for Hull I'd say.

turdpower
September 1st, 2014, 4:23 PM

Sky denying that.

Gary J
September 1st, 2014, 4:23 PM
Diame , Ben Arfa and Gaston Ramirez we are buying all the players liverpool couldn't get two seasons ago.

turdpower
September 1st, 2014, 4:27 PM
Also BBC are just saying a fee is agreed, they are not saying done deal.

Andy
September 1st, 2014, 4:29 PM
16m. Lord above. Double what we could've had Remy for and paid two thirds or more of Man United's move for Falcao.

sof - I don't think we ever bid for Remy. We enquired when we thought someone might leave which then fell through. That's according to Ornstein anyway who is by far the most reliable Arsenal journalist.

I wouldn't be complaining about Williams. Would probably rather someone who improves the first team but at least it would improve the squad. As for who a signing would replace in the team, who gives a fuck? It would be competition for places instead if running players into the ground like Giroud, Kos and Mert last season.

son_of_foley
September 1st, 2014, 4:34 PM
Players want to know their standing Andy. Not many high profile players want to sit on the bench so hence the signing of chambers who won't get too itchy. Rojo at this stage of his career. I don't think you're being realistic.

Now you're complaining about wellbeck so yeah I find it hard to believe you wouldn't have been annoyed with Williams

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 4:37 PM
Signing a 29 year old Falcao, who has had repeated knee issues, in the most expensive loan deal ever is so unWengerlike.

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 4:42 PM
https://vine.co/v/OBUpV5MYZbA

Yep.

Rip
September 1st, 2014, 4:46 PM
Diame , Ben Arfa and Gaston Ramirez we are buying all the players liverpool couldn't get two seasons ago.

HBA can be breath-taking but some of the stories about how much the other players hate him is worrying.

If history repeats though he tends to behave for one season so he should be a fantastic signing for you, year long loan seems to be the deal now.

Gary J
September 1st, 2014, 4:50 PM
Yeah I was worried about this and his supposed weight gain. Alex has reassured me on Twitter though and I'm quiet excited by him joining us now.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2014, 4:58 PM
Loads of players are cunts but the situation gets managed. He's an unbelievably talented player, who cares if he doesn't track back? There's enough athletic midfielders in the squad to pick up the slack. With HBA and Yanga Mbiwa going Pardew obviously has strong backing from the chairman still. The transfer policy I think is pretty brilliant and it should mean Ben Arfa isn't that big a miss but the manager needs to start using these players properly and getting the best players playing in their right position. I think Yanga Mbiwa was the best defender at the club and am very surprised he's been allowed to leave with no replacement.

Rip
September 1st, 2014, 4:59 PM
The weight gain was a piss take, he's looked sharp for the reserves so far, he is a nasty little shit by all accounts but he tends to keep his head down for a season or so.

Rip
September 1st, 2014, 5:02 PM
I think Yanga Mbiwa was the best defender at the club and am very surprised he's been allowed to leave with no replacement.

His only problem was the physicality, he is as skillful a centre-half I can remember seeing, but he is quite physically weak.

The fact we don't have a replacement worries me since he doesn't seem to rate the two kids coming up.

Gary J
September 1st, 2014, 5:02 PM
Yeah when I actually saw the pics I didn't see this huge gain that was being reported.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2014, 5:03 PM
It was one picture at a bad angle and it was blown out of proportion.

Rip
September 1st, 2014, 5:05 PM
He's put on weight, but it's muscle mass, the lad is fit as a butchers dog.

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2014, 5:21 PM
Loads of players are cunts but the situation gets managed. He's an unbelievably talented player, who cares if he doesn't track back? There's enough athletic midfielders in the squad to pick up the slack. With HBA and Yanga Mbiwa going Pardew obviously has strong backing from the chairman still. The transfer policy I think is pretty brilliant and it should mean Ben Arfa isn't that big a miss but the manager needs to start using these players properly and getting the best players playing in their right position. I think Yanga Mbiwa was the best defender at the club and am very surprised he's been allowed to leave with no replacement.

Pardew's failure to use or manage Hatem Ben Arfa probably stems from the same attitude that had him picking Hayden Mullins over Mascherano at West Ham. He definitely seems the sort to play Bill Big Balls with a talented but arrogant foreigner. Ben Arfa is obviously tough to manage, which is why he was at Newcastle and not a major European club, but I think there was room to indulge him a bit. He is a match-winner.

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2014, 5:39 PM
There's a lot of balls coming out from a few big journos right now about United getting rid of Cleverly and Welbeck, ignoring the fact they've also shifted out Kagawa, Nani and Hernandez as an all round effort to trim the squad of inadequate performers. There is no obligation to hang on to mediocre players just because they are locals. At the same time they're saying Man Utd need to spend on defenders, instewd of giving Jones, Smalling, Blackett etc. a chance to establish themselves, while James Wilson is now effectively United's 4th striker.

I can see Welbeck doing ok at Arsenal, his movement makes space for other players. He's poor on the ball and a terrible finisher, but he makes smart runs and stretches defences so should allow space for Arsenal's legion of attacking midfielders to work off him.

Andy
September 1st, 2014, 5:55 PM
Enjoying the chaos being caused by these kids swearing all over the place on SSN.

Simon
September 1st, 2014, 5:55 PM
FUCK HER RIGHT IN THE PUSSY

Andy
September 1st, 2014, 5:57 PM
https://vine.co/v/OBPtMBh9YiH

For fucks sake :lol:

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 5:57 PM
Oh good lord we do apologise for what you may have heard or seen.

The guy who got the dildo in the cheek's reaction was rather good I thought.

turdpower
September 1st, 2014, 5:59 PM
I love how that is a thing now.

Pablo Diablo
September 1st, 2014, 6:11 PM
Negredo leaving seems an odd one to me for City. FFP reasons?

turdpower
September 1st, 2014, 6:12 PM
Finally the rise of Nastasic too.

Mik
September 1st, 2014, 6:16 PM
No fans allowed at the training ground for next deadline day I'm guessing.

Andy
September 1st, 2014, 6:18 PM
Serves Sky right for taking themselves too seriously.

turdpower
September 1st, 2014, 6:23 PM
Nar, bad language happens every year.

Although this is the first year I've seen a dildo.

Andy
September 1st, 2014, 6:38 PM
Redknapp: "I think he's on a third of the wages he was on at there, he just wants to come here and play football"

http://i.imgur.com/hDlfZVU.gif

Beefy
September 1st, 2014, 6:40 PM
Welbeck isn't a terrible finisher. He's an instinctive finisher. His problem is when he has more than a second to think about what to do.

Beefy
September 1st, 2014, 6:41 PM
Negredo leaving seems an odd one to me for City. FFP reasons?

His wife wants to move back to Spain. Shame as he was a natural for the Premier League.

Beefy
September 1st, 2014, 6:42 PM
Also fucking hell Andy.

Andy
September 1st, 2014, 6:45 PM
Also fucking hell Andy.

?

Andy
September 1st, 2014, 6:45 PM
http://i.imgur.com/o8zwlLf.jpg

:lol:

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2014, 6:46 PM
I'm going to maintain that Welbeck is a terrible finisher. Most great finishers are instinctive, they know where the net is without looking. Welbeck couldn't find the net with a sat nav. Even times where he hasn't got time to think he'll miss sitters. No way a top team could rely on him for goals.

He's basically an English version of Shane Long in a way. 16 million is a ludicrous fee for an unwanted striker with such an awful scoring record for a big team.

Ringo
September 1st, 2014, 6:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/o8zwlLf.jpg

:lol:

That's amazing. Worth posting the preceding tweets:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwetPNQIUAAyPsg.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwetPJdIEAA2Vj8.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwetPPdIMAISrQr.jpg:large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwetPNBIQAAGYKW.jpg:large

turdpower
September 1st, 2014, 6:53 PM
That's the one thing I suddenly noticed about Transfer Deadline Day, probably what makes it even more appealing. Nobody on these shows ever says anything bad about these players, it's always massively positive that these players have signed.

RuneEdge
September 2nd, 2014, 1:36 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwfOUl3IcAA-HoX.jpg

Holy shit, it happened. :eek:

Andy
September 2nd, 2014, 3:53 AM
Arseblog talks a load of absolute shit these days but this sums up my feelings pretty well.

That we are going into the fullness of a season with just six first team defenders is absolutely staggering to me. We have only two established central defenders. Think about that for a second. I’ve expressed my happiness with Calum Chambers above but let’s be realistic here: before joining us he played his entire 25 appearance career at right back and only circumstance dictated he play centrally for us in the opening part of the season.

That he’s done well there is fantastic and great and very, very convenient, but it’s a lot to ask of a lad of 19 years of age to maintain that in a position where experience is absolutely vital. It’s the base of the team and we’re asking him, Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny to get us through the entire Premier League campaign, the Capital One Cup, the FA Cup and the Champions League.

The fact that Nacho Monreal is now our fourth choice centre-half shouldn’t be a reflection on him, but it’s not good enough for a team with the ambitions we claim to have. At the end of last season Arsene Wenger and Thomas Vermaelen came to an agreement that the Belgian could leave the club; that we haven’t been able to bring in a replacement in all that time is terrible.

For all the praise and plaudits – merited I might add – for what we did this summer, I’m just baffled by what we didn’t do at centre-half. Arguably, it’s an area that needed more attention than up front. There the issue was quality, not numbers. Whatever you might think of the individuals involved we do have plenty of options and with Campbell and Podolski both still staying, along with Sanogo, Alexis and the soon-to-be-back Walcott it wasn’t ever a question of who the hell can play up there.

But at the back we’re a sprained ankle or a flare-up of Koscielny’s Achilles away from being woefully short. Imagine going to Chelsea or Man City away with a pairing of Chambers and Monreal. How confident would you be? Exactly.

I was never expecting the fabled DM to come in, even if it would have been a signing that made some sense given the profiles of the Flamini and Arteta, but I never thought for one second that we’d go beyond the close of the window without signing a central-defender.

It’s negligent, frankly, and although I’m looking at this through the prism of disaster, I think Amy Lawrence gets it bang on in this piece when she says of our methods, “Why gamble on the best-case scenario instead of preparing a contingency plan for the worst that might hit in terms of injuries or suspensions or dips in form?”

It’s easy to see how we might get exposed at centre-half. We’ve let the most obvious youngster, Ignasi Miquel, leave because we don’t think he’s good enough but at least he’d have provided some cover. Now, if things get bad back there, what are our options? Move Debuchy inside where he’s never played? Go further down the youth pecking order to the likes of Isaac Hayden?

I just don’t understand it one bit and my fear is that this, more than any other area of the pitch, is our weak link. And when you’re weak at centre-half we know how costly it might be. Thank goodness that Per decided to retire from internationals.

Maybe he and Kos can do what they did last year and play almost every game, but already we’ve seen signs that Koscielny’s fitness might be an issue. All it’d take is for Per to do his ankle on a boggy pitch like he did at Sunderland in his first season and we’re heading right up shit creek.

I don’t believe for one second that there isn’t a central defender out there who couldn’t have added depth and quality to our line-up, and that’s a collective failure. Not just the manager or the coaching staff or the negotiators because I’m sure we had targets. We had all summer to find that player but failed to do so, and as such we’ve left ourselves, unnecessarily, walking a tightrope when there was, at least, a rickety old bridge we could have used instead.

Overall, while I’m happy with the Welbeck signing yesterday, the second part of our transfer widow has been distinctly underwhelming. After what we did earlier in the summer, it feels like qualifying in pole position for a Grand Prix then driving the race in a Honda Civic.

On such decisions will the manager be judged. I hope that this isn’t something that comes back to bite us on the arse, but nor can I make any sense of what we’ve failed to do defensively. I suspect we’ll promote Bellerin to the first team squad so at least it doesn’t look so empty on the website but even then it’s window dressing rather than addressing our needs.

son_of_foley
September 2nd, 2014, 4:07 AM
How do you imagine players like Bellerin will come through if you spend money on Right Backs? Honest question.

Andy
September 2nd, 2014, 4:09 AM
They'll come through if they're good enough. Is there any other team in the league that only has six senior defenders?

Simon
September 2nd, 2014, 4:11 AM
If you'd told me a while ago that two direct rivals had signed one of the world's best strikers in Falcao and a much-needed addition in Welbeck I'd have been worried, but the fact that United and Arsenal both failed to strengthen in the areas they most needed it is completely mad. I just don't get it.

QPR signing Sandro for only 6m makes me sad.

son_of_foley
September 2nd, 2014, 4:13 AM
How many do you consider United to have? Just interested in what you're considering senior. Is Blackett counted?

Grimario
September 2nd, 2014, 4:23 AM
They'll come through if they're good enough. Is there any other team in the league that only has six senior defenders?

Terry, Cahill, Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Filipe Luis... ?

Good point, Chelsea only appear to have 5.

Rip
September 2nd, 2014, 4:26 AM

I think we have seven.

Colo (who looks knacked), Taylor (who is shit), Williamson (who grafts but isn't good enough), Santon (who is injured), Janmaat (who looks class), Haidara (who looks canny, but raw) and Dummett (who is ok).

Three centre-halves ffs, and one is Taylor who is injured half the time, and banned the rest. We have three young lads in Good, Satka and Streete who are pretty decent (Satka could be very useful) but considering everyone has been saying we need to strengthen the centre of our defence for ages letting an international centre-half go with no replacement seems insanity.

RFF Champ
September 2nd, 2014, 4:31 AM
And Ryan Taylor 'like a new signing'.

RFF Champ
September 2nd, 2014, 4:32 AM
Arsenal blocked a move for Coquelin didn't they so there's your right back cover.

son_of_foley
September 2nd, 2014, 4:50 AM
I dont get the Falcao thing.

Is RVP getting dropped soon?

Are they moving to 4-3-3? Seems weird.

Fletcher was an absolute mess at the weekend as well. If Blind is playing CDM where does that leave Herrera/Feilani.

Seems like a mess of a squad

Ringo
September 2nd, 2014, 4:55 AM
Rumours flying about yesterday that RVP needs surgery.

Alf
September 2nd, 2014, 5:06 AM
Not a terrible window for us, but not a stormer either.

We trimmed a lot of fat (a heck of a lot really), and added some good depth.

It'll be interesting to see Fazio and the sexily named Stamouli in action.

I like Dier a lot, he's young and has a lot to learn, but he looks quality. Vorm adds competition and quality depth. Ben Davies looks good and has already given rose a kick up the arse.

It's a shame not to have gotten Schneiderlin and to have not gotten rid of crap like Dembele and Townsend, but meh, let's see what Poch can do with them.

Simon
September 2nd, 2014, 5:33 AM
I hope Sandro is happy at QPR. I bet he's going to always get out of training early and then drive up to the Lodge to wait for his Spurs pals to finish.