PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

MMH
July 28th, 2014, 1:55 PM
Southampton need to unplug the phone.

I think they are doing great business personally. Everyone of them has gone for ridiculous money. They did alright last season but no reason why they cant invest the money well instead of hanging around with a bunch of players who obviously couldnt wait to jump ship at the first opportunity.

RFF Champ
July 28th, 2014, 1:59 PM
I think they are doing great business personally. Everyone of them has gone for ridiculous money. They did alright last season but no reason why they cant invest the money well instead of hanging around with a bunch of players who obviously couldnt wait to jump ship at the first opportunity.

In isolation they're good deals but ultimately they don't need this money and it's going to be very hard to integrate enough players to do anywhere near as well as they did last year.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 28th, 2014, 2:08 PM
Yep, I think they've done well in fees simply because they didn't want to lose the players. They'll struggle to put a new team together in 3 weeks.

Andy
July 28th, 2014, 2:24 PM
Southampton have literally lost seven first eleven players if Schneiderlin and Rodriguez go, it's mental. They'll be relegation favourites unless they do a lot of work in the next couple of weeks.

At for Arsenal, I like the business we've done but as ECG says it's quite depressing to think it will likely result in us just finishing fourth again. I still think we need at least one centre back, a top midfielder and a second forward option. Don't know if it's worth taking a punt on Remy but it doesn't seem like we're interested anyway.

MMH
July 28th, 2014, 3:34 PM
Southampton have literally lost seven first eleven players if Schneiderlin and Rodriguez go, it's mental. They'll be relegation favourites unless they do a lot of work in the next couple of weeks.

At for Arsenal, I like the business we've done but as ECG says it's quite depressing to think it will likely result in us just finishing fourth again. I still think we need at least one centre back, a top midfielder and a second forward option. Don't know if it's worth taking a punt on Remy but it doesn't seem like we're interested anyway.

They are obviously all a bunch of rats though.

Its superstar money for decent players. Im not sure why everybody is going mad for Southampton players all of a sudden. As mentioned above they finished 8th. Decent players.

Pelle and Tadic are decent signings I reckon. A couple more like that and they will be OK. Saw they were linked with Forster today too which is another step in the right direction. Be interesting to see what happens anyway, they still have decent youngsters like Ward Prowse and Cork there too.

For now anyway.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 28th, 2014, 3:38 PM
Pelle is rubbish.

Ringo
July 28th, 2014, 3:40 PM
Cork is 25, agree he could really cement himself this season though. Wonder if that Matt Targett will come straight in to replace Shaw. If you want some decent Prem quality players Southampton, we've got plenty we won't need.

RuneEdge
July 28th, 2014, 4:55 PM
I just said they used him as a striker in his first season and part of his second. You are still talking about last season, I'm not sure why. Sanchez played 3 seasons at Barcelona. Neymar was only there for one of them.

Sorry, didnt catch that

turdpower
July 28th, 2014, 5:38 PM
He said they used him as a striker in his first season and part of his second. You were talking about last season, he's not sure why. Sanchez played 3 seasons at Barcelona. Neymar was only there for one of them.

Simon
July 28th, 2014, 6:05 PM
Looking forward to seeing all the kids I mentioned a while back in the Southampton team come through now - Targett, Ward-Prowse, Reed, Gallagher, McQueen, Seager and Turnbull are all supposed to be real talents - Targett and Ward-Prowse especially.

According to someone on the World Football Phone-In, in their most recent friendly Southampton were playing a weird lop-sided formation with Clyne given the freedom to run the entire right wing while Targett tucked in as almost a third centre back on the other side, supposedly it was like they were planning to build the team around Clyne :dunno:

RuneEdge
July 28th, 2014, 7:05 PM
He said they used him as a striker in his first season and part of his second. You were talking about last season, he's not sure why. Sanchez played 3 seasons at Barcelona. Neymar was only there for one of them.

:squint:

Mik
July 28th, 2014, 7:42 PM
If Southampton can stay up while bleeding some of this youth through then the money they have made off one 'good' season can establish them as a premier league team for the foreseeable future (they wouldn't be the first team to come up, have a good couple of seasons and then go down a couple of seasons later...trust me, I support a team that finished 7th twice before getting relegated two years later with the lowest ever premiership points tally) if they invest it in building the club. They have made a LOT of money with these sales.

Slare
July 29th, 2014, 4:12 AM
Wanyama will see them through.

RFF Champ
July 29th, 2014, 5:18 AM
Looking forward to seeing all the kids I mentioned a while back in the Southampton team come through now - Targett, Ward-Prowse, Reed, Gallagher, McQueen, Seager and Turnbull are all supposed to be real talents - Targett and Ward-Prowse especially.

According to someone on the World Football Phone-In, in their most recent friendly Southampton were playing a weird lop-sided formation with Clyne given the freedom to run the entire right wing while Targett tucked in as almost a third centre back on the other side, supposedly it was like they were planning to build the team around Clyne :dunno:

It never works out. We heard the same of Bannan, Albrighton, Gardner, Clark, Weimann and Baker. I thought Naughton, Townsend, Livermore, Smith, Walker and Carroll would make up a lot of England's future but are seemingly a group of Jenas'. Their academy has produced three first teamers quite successfully but it's a big ask to get even 3 more from the same crop that would get them anything other than a relegation battle.

Simon
July 29th, 2014, 5:31 AM
Their academy hasn't produced three first teamers, it's produced Shaw, Chambers, Ward-Prowse, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Bale, Walcott, Dyer and Lallana (technically they bought him from Bournemouth but he was very young) in the past eight years.

Obviously there's no guarantee that any of the new lot will make it just because those players all did, but clearly there is a strong history of bringing through very good players and, as I said, this latest crop (especially Shaw, Chambers, Targett and Ward-Prowse) were touted very strongly in a couple of scouting articles and books by people whose opinions are worth paying attention to, the implication being that they were almost certain to make it as Premier League players. Shaw has already shown that was true in his case, Chambers has shown enough to get a huge move, now we just have to wait and see what happens to the others.

I'm not saying for a second that they can do it on their own - Villa and Middlesbrough tried to rely heavily on kids and both suffered for it. But Southampton should in theory have £100m to spend assuming the chairman isn't just asset-stripping before pissing off into the sunset, easily enough to strengthen the side considerably without hampering the progress of the latest batch of youngsters.

RFF Champ
July 29th, 2014, 5:45 AM
8 players in 8 years by your parameters. Players like Best, Baird, Blackstock, Bridge, Cranie and Surman all came with reputations like these lot in that period and only two of them became good Premier League regulars. All of a sudden they've put themselves in the position where they need probably 5 to step up and perform straight away. The money they've received won't stretch that far and they probably won't spend it well. This won't end well for them, they don't need tjis money and the fans won't see any benefit from it.

RFF Champ
July 29th, 2014, 5:56 AM
2 years ago Ben Reeves was playing for Southampton's first team and being talked up. He's floating about the fpotball league now. It's just so difficult to get a player to develop right into the team and it's even harder when the players you've got left were proven to struggle at the top level themselves.

Simon
July 29th, 2014, 6:02 AM
8 players in 8 years by your parameters. Players like Best, Baird, Blackstock, Bridge, Cranie and Surman all came with reputations like these lot in that period and only two of them became good Premier League regulars. All of a sudden they've put themselves in the position where they need probably 5 to step up and perform straight away. The money they've received won't stretch that far and they probably won't spend it well. This won't end well for them, they don't need tjis money and the fans won't see any benefit from it.

As of right now they have brought in £90m and need to replace four first team regulars (Chambers was an alternative to Clyne). Assuming Schneiderlin and Rodriguez go, that will be around £130m to replace six first team regulars. Southampton are not in the market for £20-30m players, if the money is made available to Koeman it will easily stretch far enough to re-vamp the side - they won't have the individual quality of Shaw or Lallana but they might have a more balanced side that won't rely on shite like Yoshida or Davis either. In theory that could allow them to buy ten or more players that are broadly in the £10m bracket, which would leave them with a decent squad, lacking any top-class players but with greater strength in depth and more quality across the pitch.

Assuming the owners haven't stitched them up and do re-invest the money, they should be able to form a competitive side for the upcoming season; the bigger issue is whether the upheaval and bedding-in period causes problems. There's no reason whatsoever to think they will go down unless the owners fuck them over.

Beefy
July 29th, 2014, 6:25 AM
2 years ago Ben Reeves was playing for Southampton's first team and being talked up. He's floating about the fpotball league now. It's just so difficult to get a player to develop right into the team and it's even harder when the players you've got left were proven to struggle at the top level themselves.

Reeves is a midget though. Southampton held onto him for a long time in the hope that he'd have a growth spurt but it was always unlikely.

Still, he'll always be the guy who scored the goal to take Southend to Wembley.

RFF Champ
July 29th, 2014, 6:34 AM
Reeves is a midget though. Southampton held onto him for a long time in the hope that he'd have a growth spurt but it was always unlikely.

Still, he'll always be the guy who scored the goal to take Southend to Wembley.

That just further highlights the tricky nature of developing youth players, you can predict how they'll develop but there's no guarantees. If Southampton expect to rely on more than a couple of kids then they will be found out.

Simon
July 29th, 2014, 6:37 AM
Just for fun, what do you lot think is the most mental transfer of all time? Whether it be because of the price, the lack of necessity for the buying club or whatever. The most shocking deal I've ever seen was Madrid spending £34m on Asier Illaramendi last season, purely because I had literally never heard of him. I'm not saying I've heard of every good player going but I did not expect to see such a huge figure being spent on someone I had never heard of.

Mik
July 29th, 2014, 6:50 AM
I think Southampton would be daft to spunk all the money they've got for players on more players.

Darkoke
July 29th, 2014, 7:21 AM
Just for fun, what do you lot think is the most mental transfer of all time? Whether it be because of the price, the lack of necessity for the buying club or whatever. The most shocking deal I've ever seen was Madrid spending £34m on Asier Illaramendi last season, purely because I had literally never heard of him. I'm not saying I've heard of every good player going but I did not expect to see such a huge figure being spent on someone I had never heard of.

Faubert to Madrid

Romford Pele
July 29th, 2014, 8:18 AM

Andy Carroll to Liverpool. £35m for a player who had had one half decent season. Totally unbelievable and ridicolous.

Gary J
July 29th, 2014, 8:56 AM
Ravanelli to Middlesborough I think he 'd just won the champions league with Juventus as well.

I'd put Tevez and Mascherano to West Ham up there as well.

Romford Pele
July 29th, 2014, 9:07 AM
Ronaldinho now being linked with QPR...that would be up there

Simon
July 29th, 2014, 9:40 AM
I'd put Tevez and Mascherano to West Ham up there as well.

Great shout. I knew nothing about Mascherano but Tevez was just starting to be touted as a true superstar (I remember around the time he was at Corinthians, Gab Marcotti was claiming he was the best player in the world and just needed a big European move to prove it)...then suddenly he was at West Ham, on a free. Obviously it turned out to be way more complicated than that but it was a real what the fuck moment.

Peter Griffin
July 29th, 2014, 9:45 AM
here's one Si Rasiak from Derby to Spurs, fucked us up half way through the season and he barely got a sniff at Spurs.

Simon
July 29th, 2014, 9:47 AM
here's one Si Rasiak from Derby to Spurs, fucked us up half way through the season and he barely got a sniff at Spurs.

Yeah that was more of an underwhelming deal than a "fucking hell what is going on?" one. I think Gary might have nailed it with Tevez and Mascherano.

Clive Plasma
July 29th, 2014, 9:49 AM
Robbie Keane went to Liverpool from Spurs, then right back to Spurs, for an £8m loss. Even by Liverpool's standards that was a bit bizarre.

Peter Griffin
July 29th, 2014, 9:51 AM
Yeah that was more of an underwhelming deal than a "fucking hell what is going on?" one. I think Gary might have nailed it with Tevez and Mascherano.

For sure Tevez and Mascherano probably does nail it, I was just trying to think of a example involving Derby :happysad:

Romford Pele
July 29th, 2014, 9:55 AM
Dugarry at Birmingham was another one.

Clive Plasma
July 29th, 2014, 9:57 AM
I mean, if you're looking at shocks, aside from the Tevez/Mascherano debacle, I don't think anyone really expected Torres to go to Chelsea.

In the same way, when Tevez went to Man City from United, and when Figo went to Real Madrid from Barcelona. Any transfers that involve high profile players switching between rival clubs is bound to cause a stir.

Also, Robinho to Man City was viewed as obscene at the time. 32 million on the final day of the transfer window.

Simon
July 29th, 2014, 10:01 AM
I mean, if you're looking at shocks, aside from the Tevez/Mascherano debacle, I don't think anyone really expected Torres to go to Chelsea.
That was hyped up for ages wasn't it?

Also, Robinho to Man City was viewed as obscene at the time. 32 million on the final day of the transfer window.

Poor old Sweep...left Chelsea to go to City because he was about to be bumped out of the first team by Robinho, then the day after he signed City got taken over and signed Robinho :lol:

Clive Plasma
July 29th, 2014, 10:24 AM
That was hyped up for ages wasn't it?

Not to my memory, but then again that's hardly reliable. I remember it as being "I'm very loyal to the club", and then a £40m offer and a statement of "I'm staying at the club", then £50m offer and then he went. People thought he might go, but never actually thought he would go.

Another shock club to rival move was Andy Cole from Newcastle to Man Utd halfway through the season, when they were both challenging for the title. I was only 8 at the time, so my shock was fairly limited...

Simon
July 29th, 2014, 10:27 AM
I distinctly remember thinking United had been done there, I was only 10 or so but I really rated Gillespie and thought he was more valuable than Cole. After that move the only thing I remember him doing in his entire career was coming on as sub and getting sent off before the ball came back into play.

Beefy
July 29th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Klinsmann to Spurs might be the biggest 'WTF?' transfer I can remember although might not seem like that 20 years down the line. Tevez & Mascherano is a good second pick though.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 29th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Gillespie had played about 3 games for United then so your 10 year old self must have been pissed. He scored one decent goal but he hadn't figured really. It was a shock move though, it seemed back then United would never sign a proper striker after missing out on Hirst, Shearer and Collymore. Tevez and Mascherano has to be the biggest weird transfer, it was just nuts at the time as they were being linked with all the top clubs in Europe. Ravanelli and Juninho to Middlesbrough were both pretty mad too, a newly promoted Premier League team signing one of Europe's top strikers and a player being rated as Brazil's best young talent at that time. Klinsmann to Spurs was a shocker too as he was one of the best strikers in the world going to a mid-table Premier League team.

Simon
July 29th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Gillespie had played about 3 games for United then so your 10 year old self must have been pissed.
No idea where I got the idea he was so good from but it's one of the earliest times I can remember having a real opinion about football rather than just passively enjoying it.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 29th, 2014, 11:04 AM
In the same way as Klinsmann going to Spurs was a shocker, Gullitt going to Chelsea was pretty mad as well even though he was getting on a bit. It was weird seeing big stars from abroad, particularly Serie A, coming to the Premier League. Asprilla and Zola were eye-openers as well at the time. I also remember being pretty shocked by Bergkamp going to Arsenal, although he'd had a terrible season at Inter.

United selling Kanchelskis, Hughes and Ince all in one summer was also pretty mad.

Romford Pele
July 29th, 2014, 11:24 AM
As an Arsenal fan, Bergkamp was definitely a suprise as we went to a different level once he signed.

Sol Campbell and Ozil were also shock transfers - I genuinely couldnt believe Sol would walk out of Spurs and come to us. Thought United were a lock.

Also, Shearer in 1996. He had every big side in the world come in for him and I was convinced he would join United alongside Cantona and they would dominate for the next decade. I was shocked he went to Newcasle, even though it was his boyhood team.

Clive Plasma
July 29th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Simon, were you shocked when you got David Bentley? £15 million? He was class at Blackburn, then did nothing at spurs...

Simon
July 29th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Not really, ever since the internet became big business you know about most deals ahead of time so the shock is limited. That's why I was so surprised about Illaramendi as I mentioned earlier - it's so rare that a deal truly comes out of nowhere, never mind a player that I genuinely did not know existed. At the time I was more annoyed at doing £17m on Darren Bent who had just got relegated with Charlton. Bentley was overpriced but not enormously for his standing at the time, and there wasn't an expectation that he would flop the way he did. I didn't want us to sign him though because it was big money and I didn't think he was any better than Lennon.

Romford Pele
July 29th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Soldado has to be your worst transfer for the money paid.

Simon
July 29th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Soldado has to be your worst transfer for the money paid.

Not really, seeing as we spent the same on Lamela who did literally nothing other than score against some no-marks in the Europa League. Both could still come good. Soldado had a crap season but he scored 11 in 36 games - below-par for sure but not disgraceful or anything. A lot of people dismissed him further by saying half his goals were penalties, which is true and would be valid if it wasn't for the fact that in the five years or so prior to him joining we were scoring less than 50% of our penalties, making his ability to score them an irritatingly important asset.

Romford Pele
July 29th, 2014, 11:43 AM
yeah, but for the money paid you do expect more from a striker. Lamela has had a lot of injuries hasnt he? So not really the same

Where did you sell Pavlychenko to? I always thought he was a bit pricey for what he contributed.

Simon
July 29th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Back to Russia, we did ok out of him really...not amazing but not terrible. Rebrov was worse, sort of like Soldado but it went on for a few years and then we released him on a free - with Soldado we still have the hope he will come good, and even if he doesn't his stock is still high enough in Spain that we'd get a few quid for him.

Romford Pele
July 29th, 2014, 11:50 AM
I thought Rebrov was an incredible signing when you got him, his reputation was really high.

What happened with him, was it injuries? That was another transfer I couldnt believe.

Alf
July 29th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Yeah we bought him so he could 'stretch the play'.

He just didn't click. And a lot of his reputation was based around his relationship with Shevchenko

The Rosk
July 29th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Villa breaking their club record transfer fee to sign Savo Milosevic on the basis of a video Brian Little saw was a bit mental.

RFF Champ
July 29th, 2014, 1:06 PM

Sinawatra and Sven came up with a few like that. Spending big money on Benjani after 10 good games for Pompey.

Peter Griffin
July 29th, 2014, 1:11 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/3-chelsea-kids-dont-play-3927033

Jose talking about bleeding through young English players into the first team squad and not one mention of Golden boy and best player ever Bamford, hmmmm. But Alex knows better than actual managers as we all know.

Mik
July 29th, 2014, 1:17 PM
I remember being amazed that Cantona scored a hat-trick at Wembley for Leeds and then another hat-trick against Spurs...then went to Man Utd for a £1.2m move. I literally couldnt believe that Leeds would take such a small amount of money for someone who was so obviously a superstar.

RFF Champ
July 29th, 2014, 1:22 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/3-chelsea-kids-dont-play-3927033

Jose talking about bleeding through young English players into the first team squad and not one mention of Golden boy and best player ever Bamford, hmmmm. But Alex knows better than actual managers as we all know.

Okay Peter let's just post quotes from managers at each other and abandon individual thought.

Ringo
July 29th, 2014, 1:22 PM
The quotes on the official site show he was just using those three as examples:

‘My conscience tells me that if, for example, [Lewis] Baker, [Izzy] Brown, and [Dominic] Solanke are not national team players in a few years, I should blame myself,’ Mourinho admitted.

I'm also pretty sure he was talking about those three because he'd just said they (along with Boga) would be training with the first team squad while featuring for the Under 21s (while Ake and Christensen will train and regularly travel with the first team squad). He was saying how at their age it's best for them to be training and learning. He then brought up Chalobah, Swift and Bamford separately because they are older and will likely be going out on loan this season.

“The other ones who are a bit older, 20 or 21, we feel they need to compete against men in a different league, people like Bamford, Swift, Chalobah. They are ready to go to other clubs and have a good loan.

“What we are trying to do, and we believe we are going to be successful, is in a few years’ time, when they are between 20 and 23, we will have them back at the right moment and in the first team squad.”

Peter Griffin
July 29th, 2014, 1:31 PM
Okay Peter let's just post quotes from managers at each other and abandon individual thought.

Well its pretty clear what your thoughts on Bamford are and how hideously Derby treated him. Bamford himself said he loved his time at Derby and hope we go up so he obviously has no grudges or issues with how he was utilized.

Peter Griffin
July 29th, 2014, 1:32 PM
The quotes on the official site show he was just using those three as examples:

I'm also pretty sure he was talking about those three because he'd just said they (along with Boga) would be training with the first team squad while featuring for the Under 21s (while Ake and Christensen will train and regularly travel with the first team squad). He was saying how at their age it's best for them to be training and learning. He then brought up Chalobah, Swift and Bamford separately because they are older and will likely be going out on loan this season.

Shhhh I am trying to wind Alex up because he believes Bamford is the best player in the world.

RFF Champ
July 29th, 2014, 1:42 PM
Well its pretty clear what your thoughts on Bamford are and how hideously Derby treated him. Bamford himself said he loved his time at Derby and hope we go up so he obviously has no grudges or issues with how he was utilized.

It's nice that you rate whether the loan players had a good time at the club over promotion. 0-0 against ten men!

Peter Griffin
July 29th, 2014, 1:54 PM
Who says he would of made any difference? Why you even care so much is absurd. We all wanted promotion, but it was thanks to Steve coming on and frankly working wonders we even got to the final, as I have already stated he made decisions based around what he had seen day in and day out, and why you think you know better than him just because you read the opta index and watch the foobtall league show is pathetic.

Peter Griffin
July 29th, 2014, 2:02 PM
Predicted reply. 0-0 blah ten men blah, Bamford is great blah, he would of scored blah, I know everything blah. i think I have pretty much covered Alex's whole stance there.

Beefy
July 29th, 2014, 2:07 PM
Klinsmann to Spurs might be the biggest 'WTF?' transfer I can remember although might not seem like that 20 years down the line. Tevez & Mascherano is a good second pick though.

Well there's a coincidence - just seen that that deal was exactly 20 years ago today.

Andy
July 29th, 2014, 2:20 PM
Sinawatra and Sven came up with a few like that. Spending big money on Benjani after 10 good games for Pompey.

Don't let sof hear you say that

Ringo
July 29th, 2014, 2:38 PM
Schneiderlin tweeted this and then unfollowed Southampton's account :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/vLL7Rp9.jpg

Hlebsfall
July 29th, 2014, 3:11 PM
waaaaa, I don't want to play for the team that want to keep me and that I have a contract with. What a fucking knob.

MMH
July 29th, 2014, 3:25 PM
Yup another complete cunt of a player.

Hope he breaks his leg.

_me
July 29th, 2014, 3:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vbI-P6mFbg
so he should just take Homer's advice? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vbI-P6mFbg

Bad Collin
July 29th, 2014, 3:34 PM
Origi confirmed, he said 'big club' about 20 times in his first interview. He'll fit in well.

MMH
July 29th, 2014, 3:46 PM
Origi confirmed, he said 'big club' about 20 times in his first interview. He'll fit in well.

Or he has limited use of English...

Gary J
July 29th, 2014, 4:26 PM
Fernando Torres still used the phrase "big club" best after moving to Chelsea and saying it was great to finally be at a big club.

RFF Champ
July 29th, 2014, 5:17 PM
Who says he would of made any difference? Why you even care so much is absurd. We all wanted promotion, but it was thanks to Steve coming on and frankly working wonders we even got to the final, as I have already stated he made decisions based around what he had seen day in and day out, and why you think you know better than him just because you read the opta index and watch the foobtall league show is pathetic.

Strikers off the bench don't make a difference at 0-0

http://www.qpr.co.uk/cms_images/bobby-zamora-play-off-final-64064-1572642_613x460.jpg

Romford Pele
July 29th, 2014, 5:21 PM
Schneiderlin tweeted this and then unfollowed Southampton's account :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/vLL7Rp9.jpg

Ahahaha

Ringo
July 30th, 2014, 6:20 AM
Appaz Atletico are going to sign Bakkali from PSV now. Never seen him play but he's meant to be the shit.

Also Valbuena turning down QPR and West Ham to go to Russia.

Alf
July 30th, 2014, 6:28 AM
We were linked with Bakkali but I think we went with the known quantity that is J-Rod. It'll be interesting to see if we now change tack.

Grimario
July 30th, 2014, 6:51 AM
We were linked with Bakkali but I think we went with the known quantity that is J-Rod. It'll be interesting to see if we now change tack.

If it's any consolation, he signed with you in my FM game :yes:

Alf
July 30th, 2014, 7:16 AM
Thank you Grim, that soothes my soul.

So Schneiderlin has handed in a transfer request.

Simon
July 30th, 2014, 7:25 AM
Sums up moderrn footballers that handing in a transfer request was a last resort AFTER bitching on social media about not being allowed his move and trying to force it through without an official request. Here's a thought you cunt, how about respecting the contract you signed by either staying at the club for the agreed duration, or accept that in wanting to break your contract, you lose the right to the agreed bonuses? Does my fucking head in that players think they should be able to demand a move unofficially and still retain their loyalty bonuses. The FA should implement some sort of law that treats behaviour tantamount to handing in a request the same as handing in a request. If you're in the papers saying that you want to be allowed to move, that should be treated as a transfer request. This stupid loophole gives players all the power.

Darkoke
July 30th, 2014, 7:37 AM
You'd think there'd be a worry from the club that's trying to sign the player that after a season or 2 he'll just do the same again to force a move elsewhere.

Simon
July 30th, 2014, 7:40 AM
Yeah exactly, it's like getting with a girl who has a boyfriend...all well and good, but when she cheats on you a year down the line, you lose the right to any sympathy.

Beefy
July 30th, 2014, 7:41 AM
To be fair, he was told he wouldn't be sold yesterday and then has handed in a transfer request this morning.

I've seen worse.

Simon
July 30th, 2014, 7:47 AM
To be fair, he was told he wouldn't be sold yesterday and then has handed in a transfer request this morning.

I've seen worse.
It's just the greed that does my head in. Have some self-respect - he can't honestly feel like he's entitled to that loyalty bonus because he technically didn't put in a transfer request. Just money-grabbing cuntiness, presumably spurred on by the agents but that's no excuse.

son_of_foley
July 30th, 2014, 8:01 AM
It's just the greed that does my head in. Have some self-respect - he can't honestly feel like he's entitled to that loyalty bonus because he technically didn't put in a transfer request. Just money-grabbing cuntiness, presumably spurred on by the agents but that's no excuse.

Isn't the loyalty bonus actually your signing on fee rather than another pot of gold?

Beefy
July 30th, 2014, 8:09 AM
Yeah it's the signing-on fee split over the various years of the contract.

I may have missed something but surely he doesn't think he should entitled to it or else he wouldn't have put in the transfer request. Is there any suggestion that he has been trying to force his way out of the Club? It seems like Southampton were negotiating his sale - as with the others - and then decided to draw a line in the sand and keep the rest of the players.

Schneiderlin has been there six years, is one of their best players and has seen the team decimated and his former teammates secure dream moves despite having contributed less in most cases to Southampton's success. He's annoyed at this and has handed in a transfer request as he is contractually entitled to do.

Wanky thing to do of course, but in the context of general footballer's skullduggery it's probably no more than four out of ten.

son_of_foley
July 30th, 2014, 8:13 AM
Yeah 6 years there including league 1. I think he's been a decent servant to the club. He vented on twitter frustration then has handed in a transfer request. It's clear cut

Mik
July 30th, 2014, 8:24 AM
Just put your request in and strike a deal. There's no need for the social networking posturing and the butthurtedness.

Romford Pele
July 30th, 2014, 8:34 AM

I've seen worse.

Yeah but going on twitter and posting that? An exercise in gimpery

Thats when an agent has to tell him to keep it shut.

Romford Pele
July 30th, 2014, 8:40 AM
Read on football365 that Chelsea want £30m for Lukaku. Silly money, if Everton are prepared to go to £20m+ then they should take it.

Jose doesnt rate him anyway.

Simon
July 30th, 2014, 9:21 AM
Isn't the loyalty bonus actually your signing on fee rather than another pot of gold?

[color=dodgerblue]Yeah it's the signing-on fee split over the various years of the contract.

...which is payable in full in the event that a player is sold before the end of his contract. If he puts in a request he forfeits those payments. It's possible that in Schneiderlin's case he has gone about things the right way other than the Twitter outburst, but the point stands - players regularly try to force through moves by making blatant, unofficial transfer requests, making their position at the club untenable but without forfeiting their bonuses. Gareth Barry was a famous case when looking to get out of Villa IIRC.

Ringo
July 30th, 2014, 9:56 AM
Is £30m for Lukaku really that silly considering the prices we're seeing? Two good seasons in the Prem and he's only 21. Personally I think he's got a hell of a lot to learn and I don't know if he'll ever improve certain areas of his game but I'd like to see him given a chance this season because I'm not sure Drogba and Torres are great alternatives to Costa. Then again if the reports are true and he doesn't want to stay and fight for his place then whatever - more money to spend.

Hmmm, reports from Belgium saying it's done. £25m potentially rising to £30m.

Beefy
July 30th, 2014, 10:12 AM
...which is payable in full in the event that a player is sold before the end of his contract. If he puts in a request he forfeits those payments. It's possible that in Schneiderlin's case he has gone about things the right way other than the Twitter outburst, but the point stands - players regularly try to force through moves by making blatant, unofficial transfer requests, making their position at the club untenable but without forfeiting their bonuses. Gareth Barry was a famous case when looking to get out of Villa IIRC.

I'm sure that everyone agrees with that. This just seems a weird case to jump on about it as he has quickly put in the transfer request.

Simon
July 30th, 2014, 10:12 AM
I panicked.

Peter Griffin
July 30th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Apparently Derby want to sign Tom Carroll on loan to cover Thorne's injury. IIRC he did well last time we had him.

Romford Pele
July 30th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Lukaku going then - fair play to Everton, even if it is £25m thats a huge amount to spend on one player.

What was their previous transfer record?

Gary J
July 30th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Fellaini I think about £15m

MMH
July 30th, 2014, 1:03 PM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtzGmOgIEAABQSZ.jpg

Romford Pele
July 30th, 2014, 4:45 PM
Haha so that's £10m accounted for...

Bad Collin
July 30th, 2014, 5:30 PM
Great business by Everton. It seems strange that Lukaku would go to a team where he is unlikely to get CL football but perhaps he wants a bit of stability.

Ringo
July 30th, 2014, 5:40 PM
£28m then. We signed him for 10-12m+ add ons which I can't imagine have been activated given he barely played for us and didn't score a goal so should be a good profit. Also means we've actually made a profit this Summer which feels weird, especially given we've signed three instant starters and sold our third choice centre back and third/fourth choice strikers.

There's two sides to the story on Lukaku - some think he talked too much, overrates himself and expects to be starting for us already when he's still got a lot to learn. He could have stayed and fought for his place at a club that will challenge for honours every season but apparently didn't want to. Others take the view that Mourinho just doesn't rate him at all (but should). Personally I think it's somewhere in between. I'd have liked to see him stay and at least have a go - learning off Costa and Drogba, can't get much better than that.

Happy that he went to Everton over other clubs though. They've done some good business (new contract for Barkley, picking up Barry on a free etc) and must be nice for their fans that they've actually gone and spent big on a player who fit in so well.

Bluemoon
July 30th, 2014, 6:00 PM
Everton spend big on one player :eek:

Must be one of those Football Managers deals then, pay over 4 years.

MMH
July 30th, 2014, 6:08 PM
We didnt spend the Fellaini money from last season so thats where most of it has come from along with increased TV money of course.

Gary J
July 30th, 2014, 6:16 PM
It's all the Fellaini money isn't it didn't he go for £28m.

It is a bit mental to think Everton have basically spend around £30m to have basically the same squad as last season.

Bluemoon
July 30th, 2014, 6:40 PM
We didnt spend the Fellaini money from last season so thats where most of it has come from along with increased TV money of course.

Hopefully it turns out great business for you. Good point what Gary says below, you think you can push top 4 with the squad you have?

MMH
July 30th, 2014, 6:48 PM
Hopefully it turns out great business for you. Good point what Gary says below, you think you can push top 4 with the squad you have?

I dont see any reason why not. We came very close last season.

Romford Pele
July 31st, 2014, 3:07 AM
That's a game changer of a transfer though. Shows that Everton are serious about a top 4 place. Interesting season ahead

Simon
July 31st, 2014, 4:17 AM
Don't think he's overpriced at all - already a proven PL goalscorer and likely to continue improving, plus because he's so young Everton can expect a decent fee for him even in the unlikely event that he doesn't hit the same heights he's already reached.

Alf
July 31st, 2014, 4:57 AM
Eric Dier flying in for a medical APPAZ

Bluemoon
July 31st, 2014, 5:37 AM
That's a game changer of a transfer though. Shows that Everton are serious about a top 4 place. Interesting season ahead

Does kinda put a marker down saying Everton mean business.

Simon
July 31st, 2014, 6:00 AM
Stefan de Vrij has gone to Lazio, was linked with a few English teams.

Romford Pele
July 31st, 2014, 6:03 AM
What is happening with Ron Vlaar, is he staying at Villa?

Gary J
July 31st, 2014, 6:05 AM
Don't think he's overpriced at all - already a proven PL goalscorer and likely to continue improving, plus because he's so young Everton can expect a decent fee for him even in the unlikely event that he doesn't hit the same heights he's already reached.

It's not that likely he'll continue improving he could just as easily fill out more and become a muscular version of Emile Heskey.

Simon
July 31st, 2014, 6:15 AM
Yeah but the point is that even at the level he's already at, he's a good Premier League player. Given his age and the level he's already reached, barring an absolute calamity Everton are highly unlikely to make a huge loss on him - even if he underperformed for a couple of years, you'd still expect teams to be willing to pay £20m+ for him simply because he's shown potential and even then will still be a young player. It seems far more likely to me that he'll continue improving - possibly at a slower rate - and will end up at a bigger side for even more money.

Ringo
July 31st, 2014, 6:27 AM
Bertrand on loan to Southampton. Possibly with an option to buy for up to £10m. Obviously wants to be playing regularly and Azpilicueta did so well at left back last year that we don't really need him.

RFF Champ
July 31st, 2014, 7:05 AM
Lukaku and Bertrand leaving has got to leave Chelsea short of whatever homegrown quotas the Champions League impose.

Ringo
July 31st, 2014, 7:44 AM
It's 8 I think. I don't really get how it works but we will obviously fill the 17 foreign spots (a couple will miss out like Essien last year), + Terry, Cahill and Fabregas HG and then we can use unlimited under 21s (so the likes of Zouma, Ake, Baker, Blackman as third goalkeeper probably). Not sure.

Also just thought maybe Moses will stay for that reason. :dunno:

Romford Pele
July 31st, 2014, 7:57 AM
MMH - did you write into football365 today? The first letter in the mailbox really sounds similar to your posting style.

Mik
July 31st, 2014, 7:57 AM
Man, everyone seems to be rejecting us (understandably), it's looking likely that we are going to go into this season with a weaker squad than last season.

Romford Pele
July 31st, 2014, 10:03 AM
Is Borini going to happen or not, do you think?

Mik
July 31st, 2014, 1:12 PM
On loan possibly. To be honest I wouldn't pay £14m for him, so I'd kind of be happy with a loan. Liverpool should be happy enough to get their money back for him.

MMH
July 31st, 2014, 1:54 PM
MMH - did you write into football365 today? The first letter in the mailbox really sounds similar to your posting style.

Nah wasnt me im afraid. Why, what was this intelligent and obviously rather dashing young man saying?

Romford Pele
August 1st, 2014, 3:16 AM
Basically, that he was pleased that Lukaku signed, but didn't like the fact that Everton are contributing to the madness of money in football.

Sounded like you

Beefy
August 1st, 2014, 4:18 AM
What does "the madness of money in football" even mean?

son_of_foley
August 1st, 2014, 4:25 AM
I think it means allowing things to get to the point of 60 quid for a ticket mate

Romford Pele
August 1st, 2014, 4:34 AM
What does "the madness of money in football" even mean?

Sorry I was paraphrasing while typing on my phone.

Basically the fact that Everton are now paying high transfer fees (and presumably wages) in line with the top clubs. The money has got out of control, but at the same time do you want your club to be left behind? That is the dilemma isnt it.

Romford Pele
August 1st, 2014, 4:35 AM
I think it means allowing things to get to the point of 60 quid for a ticket mate

Thats a consequence of trying to compete at the top, sure. I don't know what Evertons ticket prices are, but you can be sure they will start rising if they continue paying £20m+ for players.

I just got my ticket for opening day of the season v Palace. £52. :eek:

Bluemoon
August 1st, 2014, 5:06 AM
City's adult ticket for Liverpool game is between £57, joke. We used to be cheap for match day tickets in category A games.

Romford Pele
August 1st, 2014, 5:25 AM
I refuse to go to category A games at Arsenal now, you are looking at the thick end of £70 minimum now, just too much.

Torn
August 1st, 2014, 5:59 AM
£17 a game for Championship football on my Brentford season ticket!

Beefy
August 1st, 2014, 6:14 AM

Every Premier League club can easily afford to cut ticket prices to a tenner. That they don't isn't because they need the cash to puy £27m strikers, it is because they can charge those prices and still sell out.

I was chatting to a Canadian ciouple last week in Dublin. They live in London and he loves watching Arsenal but he said that in two years he hasn't been able to get a ticket to a league game so he has started going to QPR instead. That's why Arsenal can charge £70 for a Category A game.

Romford Pele
August 1st, 2014, 6:33 AM
£17 a game for Championship football on my Brentford season ticket!

Wow, so you are looking at what £400+ per season?

BBF
August 1st, 2014, 6:35 AM
Season ticket is free at Potters Bar FC :yes:

Romford Pele
August 1st, 2014, 6:40 AM
Every Premier League club can easily afford to cut ticket prices to a tenner. That they don't isn't because they need the cash to puy £27m strikers, it is because they can charge those prices and still sell out.

I was chatting to a Canadian ciouple last week in Dublin. They live in London and he loves watching Arsenal but he said that in two years he hasn't been able to get a ticket to a league game so he has started going to QPR instead. That's why Arsenal can charge £70 for a Category A game.

I'm not sure about that. Clubs have to have certain revenue streams for FFP. I know the tv and sponsorship deals are now higher, but match day revenue is still an important factor.

Bluemoon
August 1st, 2014, 7:52 AM
You going the community shield? I'm giving it a miss.

Torn
August 1st, 2014, 8:26 AM
Wow, so you are looking at what £400+ per season?

Yeah £411. 23 home games so works out at just under £18 a game. Pretty good when they've raised pay on the day tickets to like £27.

son_of_foley
August 1st, 2014, 8:38 AM

Beefy that makes no sense. Of course they charge what they can to sell out but that money doesnt dissapear. They dont make masses of profits because the increase in ticket prices is met with an increase in costs which are players wages and fees.

Beefy
August 1st, 2014, 9:01 AM
Maybe but the importance of ticket prices to overall revenue for these clubs is greatly reduced now, especially with the new TV deal. You only need to look at Germany to see how huge clubs can be run without huge TV deals and with low ticket prices.

Everton signing Lukaku shouldn't necessarily lead to prices going up. Everton could sign him, slash ticket prices and still run at a profit.

£27m for a young, proven goalscorer with a good sell-on value is good business. It isn't "the madness of money in football". If anything that is huge transfer fees and wages for mediocre players.

son_of_foley
August 1st, 2014, 9:02 AM
Maybe but the importance of ticket prices to overall revenue for these clubs is greatly reduced now, especially with the new TV deal. You only need to look at Germany to see how huge clubs can be run without huge TV deals and with low ticket prices.

Everton signing Lukaku shouldn't necessarily lead to prices going up. Everton could sign him, slash ticket prices and still run at a profit.

£27m for a young, proven goalscorer with a good sell-on value is good business. It isn't "the madness of money in football". If anything that is huge transfer fees and wages for mediocre players.

You only need to look at Germany and see how their transfer fees compare to the Premier League

Grimario
August 1st, 2014, 9:32 AM
Yeah £411. 23 home games so works out at just under £18 a game. Pretty good when they've raised pay on the day tickets to like £27.

That's the daft thing that clubs here don't realise... they price memberships so that if you miss one or two games, you are better off just paying on the day.

Romford Pele
August 1st, 2014, 10:24 AM
You going the community shield? I'm giving it a miss.

No, I'm busy that weekend, even if I wasn't though lets be honest it is a glorified friendly.

Romford Pele
August 1st, 2014, 10:26 AM

Cannot believe a championship club can charge nearly £30 per game.

Beefy
August 1st, 2014, 11:03 AM
You only need to look at Germany and see how their transfer fees compare to the Premier League

Because they don't have the same TV deal.

Bad Collin
August 1st, 2014, 11:09 AM
We are supposedly closing in two Spanish left backs

Mignolet

Johnson Lovren Sahko Moreno

Gerrard Can Henderson

Coutinho Sturridge Sterling

Not bad, still a creative striker away from being a top four team though.

Torn
August 1st, 2014, 11:24 AM
Cannot believe a championship club can charge nearly £30 per game.

Are you serious? Presumably you are outraged at it being £24 a game in League One too? Well, £22 when bought in advance.

MikeHunt
August 1st, 2014, 11:37 AM
When did Natureboy become Romford pele and why?

Romford Pele
August 1st, 2014, 11:40 AM
Are you serious? Presumably you are outraged at it being £24 a game in League One too? Well, £22 when bought in advance.

Yeah both. Sutton United are charging £16 - I see that at the station sometimes, not even a league team.

I am not picking on Brentford by the way, just a general point that prices have got silly across the board.

Romford Pele
August 1st, 2014, 11:40 AM
When did Natureboy become Romford pele and why?

Why, does it bother you?

Bluemoon
August 1st, 2014, 1:09 PM
No, I'm busy that weekend, even if I wasn't though lets be honest it is a glorified friendly.

Correct, it's ok for your fans it's basically a home game anyway.

Gary J
August 1st, 2014, 1:32 PM
Yeah both. Sutton United are charging £16 - I see that at the station sometimes, not even a league team.

I am not picking on Brentford by the way, just a general point that prices have got silly across the board.

We charge £16 for Category C games. if anything the categorisation of premiership games shows premiership clubs are being greedy and could easily slash prices if they charge £16 for games against Stoke , Crystal Palace and West Brom they can do the same for the games against Man City , Liverpool , Chelsea.

StevieV
August 1st, 2014, 3:35 PM
Lampard to city?

Judas Iscariot
August 1st, 2014, 5:59 PM
Yup, Lampard on loan to City.

Bluemoon
August 1st, 2014, 6:41 PM
Think its strange move for us but understandable because of the connection. He'll play in the Carling and FA cup and get a few sub appearances in the prem.

MikeHunt
August 1st, 2014, 7:11 PM
Why, does it bother you?

It doesn't I'm just asking

Romford Pele
August 2nd, 2014, 7:49 AM
Just fancied a change.

Lampard to city is an interesting one. Not sure how much of a game he will get?

Bluemoon
August 2nd, 2014, 7:50 AM
Well better username.

As for Lampard not much, the usual carling and fa cup games mostly.

Darkoke
August 2nd, 2014, 7:53 AM
The only logic I can see behind it is it fills one of the home grown slots for the Champions League.

Bluemoon
August 2nd, 2014, 8:23 AM
Could well be. We need 5 for this season and with Lescott and Barry gone and Richards more than likely going, it does leave us short.

MikeHunt
August 2nd, 2014, 8:33 AM
Just fancied a change.

Lampard to city is an interesting one. Not sure how much of a game he will get?

new brain included with the name change?

Peter Griffin
August 2nd, 2014, 9:55 AM
Its pretty clear that he and Blue Moon share a brain cell between them on a bi-monthly basis.

Bad Collin
August 2nd, 2014, 10:03 AM
Shame you never get a go with one.

Grimario
August 3rd, 2014, 8:57 AM
Gary J, you should get behind Robert Koren's new team and support an A-League club, Melbourne City.

Bad Collin
August 3rd, 2014, 4:38 PM
Loads of sources saying we are in talks with Ballotelli. He is a great player but there is a reason why he gets moved on every few seasons.

Bluemoon
August 3rd, 2014, 4:46 PM
I think he'll be a very good player at Liverpool. In fact he would have been for us but Mancini wasn't the right manager for him.

Andy
August 3rd, 2014, 4:56 PM
Could go either way. Massive risk, especially with a young and seemingly close and developing squad. Not worth the risk I wouldn't think.

Bad Collin
August 3rd, 2014, 5:38 PM
Rodgers has just ruled it out.

Here he is getting owned by Emre Can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63fUFG89AQg

Bluemoon
August 4th, 2014, 4:20 AM
He did that to Richards too, looks like he will be up for the physical part.

Ringo
August 4th, 2014, 6:07 AM
Romeu's gone to Stuttgart on loan. Schwarzer won't be registered for the Champions League so that's our foreign quota sorted.

Rip
August 4th, 2014, 8:12 AM
Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew is swooping for Nottingham Forest’s young centre half Jamaal Lascelles and keeper Karl Darlow in a £5 million double deal.
Lascelles and Darlow are on Tyneside to finalise the shock switch.
It is a remarkable investment by the Toon Army, but they are also open to loaning Lascelles and Darlow back to Stuart Pearce’s club in the deal.
The Toon Army - better known for foreign recruits - are desperate to land Lascelles who has been linked with Tottenham and QPR.
And Darlow - also fancied by top clubs - is seen as a potential long-term replacement for Tim Krul if the Dutchman moves in the next year or so.
Promising defender Lascelles is being sold by Forest to give Pearce funds for his own signings.
Darlow also has a long time to run on his contract but the offer is considered enough to tempt Forest into the unexpected deal

Nice, bit shocked since Pards was reported as saying we were still after two (Wickham and a first choice centre-half) but good investment for next season I guess.

Bluemoon
August 4th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Rodwell apparently having medical at Sunderland.

MMH
August 4th, 2014, 2:08 PM
Rodwell apparently having medical at Sunderland.

Well thats him staying at City then...

Bluemoon
August 4th, 2014, 7:06 PM
Strange move for him, timing was off when he came to us as he was never going to start more than 10 games.

Red Dog
August 5th, 2014, 2:52 AM
Nice, bit shocked since Pards was reported as saying we were still after two (Wickham and a first choice centre-half) but good investment for next season I guess.

More is emerging on this story now and Pearce was doing a Q&A on local radio last night and he was furious. Said he was asked if they should be sold, he said "categorically no" and then they were sold anyway.

Our chairman has got away with this a few times because he has employed unlikeable managers so he keeps his support when there is friction.

If he goes head to head with Pearce I fear his days are numbered. Fans wont have it.

On the players, they are both pretty good. Darlow is our established no.1. Lascelles probably isn't first choice when all are fit but he is a great prospect and potential England player I would say. I'm glad they have gone to a club I quite like rather than an alternative.

Simon
August 5th, 2014, 5:44 AM
Just got back from hols to find we've signed that Eric Dier - MMH wasn't he on loan at Everton for a while? Don't think he played but did you hear anything about him? Seems like he played pretty regularly for Sporting last year so there's obviously some pedigree there, the deal does have a hint of Levy about it though, signing a decent player for a knockdown fee (release clause of only £4m) with an eye towards making a profit on him as much as getting him into the team.

Simon
August 5th, 2014, 5:47 AM
Strange move for him, timing was off when he came to us as he was never going to start more than 10 games.

Idiotic move. I suppose that kind of self-belief is what got him to the top of the game in the first place, but anyone could have told him he would struggle for games at City, he hadn't done enough to establish himself as a top player. Two years later he's missed out on a crucial part of his development and is going to end up at a significantly poorer team than he was already at with Everton.

I propose that from now on the FA should make all transfer fees go to an advisory panel who have to ratify the deal based on whether or not the player is being an idiot. Call it the "Don't Be A Dickhead" ruling, or the Scott Parker law.

Bluemoon
August 5th, 2014, 5:56 AM
That's why I'm happy for Ross Barkley to stay at Everton.

Mik
August 5th, 2014, 9:30 AM
Okay...good start, now I'm starting to get a little more motivated.

Rip
August 5th, 2014, 9:46 AM
Good signing Mik, I honestly hope he does well for you lot and gets a chance to finally develop.

Ringo
August 5th, 2014, 3:23 PM
Reina off to Bayern for £2m appaz.

Bad Collin
August 5th, 2014, 4:18 PM
Yeah, we must be keen to move his wages on. I would have preferred him to stay to keep the pressure on Mignolet but hopefully he wins shitloads over there.

Gary J
August 5th, 2014, 4:27 PM
Bad move for him i reckon if he couldn't get past Mignolet he won't get picked unless Neuer gets injured. I thought he'd go to Atletico Madrid once Courtois got recalled.

Ringo
August 5th, 2014, 5:07 PM
Yeah, they've just ended up replacing the world's best young goalkeeper with the second best by the sound of it. Weird summer for goalkeepers. Quite a few big clubs, including Barca and Real, going into the season with the fans not being sure who their number one will be. Also Valdes still doesn't have a club does he? Looks like Monaco are going for Rui Patricio (£13m!) instead now. Ochoa ended up going to Malaga by the way.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 5th, 2014, 5:56 PM
Rui Patricio is turd.

Ringo
August 5th, 2014, 6:19 PM
Don't think I've really seen enough of him to say a lot but considering that would make him one of the most expensive goalkeepers ever (third? Buffon, Neuer...) it does look an odd choice.

edit: De Gea as well

Simon
August 6th, 2014, 4:30 AM
Craig Gordon was £13m wasn't he?

EDIT: Chatting shit, he was £9m.

RuneEdge
August 6th, 2014, 4:54 AM
Liverpool going in for Lavezzi. £18m according to today's rumours.

Simon
August 6th, 2014, 5:59 AM
The more I see of Liverpool's moves the more it reminds me of us last year. They had so much success with the diamond formation last year, why are they spunking so much money on wide players? If anything they've actually (on paper at least) bought worse than we did, signing players that they could have got regardless of whether or not they were in the CL. Hope it all goes wrong :fingersx:

RuneEdge
August 6th, 2014, 6:19 AM
After seeing those leaked pictures of Lavezzi on twitter today, it seems like he plays down the middle now. :yes:

Lagom
August 6th, 2014, 6:24 AM
Wheeeeyeyyyyyy!

Lavezzi is a decent player, but I'm not sure how thrilled I'd be paying that sort of price for a 29 year old. There are surely options around that figure who would give us more longevity, and similar skillsets.

Bad Collin
August 6th, 2014, 8:33 AM
The more I see of Liverpool's moves the more it reminds me of us last year. They had so much success with the diamond formation last year, why are they spunking so much money on wide players? If anything they've actually (on paper at least) bought worse than we did, signing players that they could have got regardless of whether or not they were in the CL. Hope it all goes wrong :fingersx:

If we (like Spurs) end up with only three points fewer than last season I will be delighted.

I don't see Rodgers buying players he isn't going to use. I imagine we will use the diamond, a 4-3-3 and a 4-2-3-1 at various times so it is good to have a variety of players.

Having said that it is nice to see us bringing in a fourth right back when we only have Enrique at LB. Kelly and Flanaghan must be delighted...

This season is going to be so annoying. We overachieved last season so we would probably would have slipped back even with Suarez but he is going to be the focus.

Romford Pele
August 6th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Liverpool still need to sign a world class winger/attacker.

Ringo
August 6th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Is the deal for Hector Moreno not still on? Also, is Jack Robinson not considered good enough then (considering Rodgers isn't afraid to give young players a real go)?

Red Dog
August 6th, 2014, 4:12 PM
We have just signed Britt Assombalonga for £5m allegedly. Anyone know anything about him?

Rip
August 6th, 2014, 4:15 PM
Very useful, good goalscorer but he's making another step up.

Red Dog
August 6th, 2014, 4:19 PM
It is all rather confusing that we sold you Darlow and Lascelles to "comply with FFP" then make our record signing the next day! I think our chairman is a bit slow in the head.

The Rosk
August 6th, 2014, 4:20 PM
We have just signed Britt Assombalonga for £5m allegedly. Anyone know anything about him?

I suggest you ask Beefy.

Rip
August 6th, 2014, 4:20 PM
:dunno:

I think you were resigned to losing them and we offered the loan back so you jumped at it.

Bad Collin
August 6th, 2014, 4:39 PM
Is the deal for Hector Moreno not still on? Also, is Jack Robinson not considered good enough then (considering Rodgers isn't afraid to give young players a real go)?

Apparently it is. Robinson is way off being ready for the first team.

MMH
August 6th, 2014, 4:39 PM
Just got back from hols to find we've signed that Eric Dier - MMH wasn't he on loan at Everton for a while? Don't think he played but did you hear anything about him? Seems like he played pretty regularly for Sporting last year so there's obviously some pedigree there, the deal does have a hint of Levy about it though, signing a decent player for a knockdown fee (release clause of only £4m) with an eye towards making a profit on him as much as getting him into the team.

Yeah didnt play for us in the first team. Played some for the reserves though. We basically had him so he could finish off his education over here whilst he trained with us.

From the little I have seen of him hes a good prospect. Played at all levels for England so far and supposedly decent on the ball.

The other young defender who Moyes never played has just won the World Cup so there is hope for Dier still. You may recognize him from when England brought out the all white kit the first time and they had players of various levels modelling it? He was one of the young lads.

Romford Pele
August 8th, 2014, 10:17 AM
£15m bid accepted from Barca for TV. Good deal for us.

Chris Scott
August 8th, 2014, 1:58 PM
We should have went for him instead of Lovren.

Ringo
August 8th, 2014, 1:58 PM
Sounds like Atsu is going on loan to Everton after all. Were rumours that the move had broken down for one reason or another. Keen to see how he gets on, he was quite impressive at the world cup imo, gliding past players like they weren't there. Always been seen as one of our FFP signings though. Unlikely he'll make it at Chelsea but bought for a small fee with the chance of making a profit a couple of seasons down the line.

Andy
August 8th, 2014, 2:10 PM
I might be thinking of someone else but was he the winger who skinned every player in the world cup but had absolutely no end product?

Beefy
August 8th, 2014, 2:43 PM

I suggest you ask Beefy.

Not as good as Collymore, better than Jason Lee.

He's pure goals. Not much more to his game than that. He is very quick so stretches teams, he is pretty strong and decent technically but he won't be contributing much to build up play.

He dropped off badly second half of the season with us but it was his first year of first team football and didn't happen last year at Posh.

As I've said in RFF he has taken each step up in his stride and I expect him to do the same this time. He won't score the 30+ he got last year but I'd be confident he'll get 15 league goals so long as he starts.

Chris Scott
August 8th, 2014, 4:10 PM
It is all rather confusing that we sold you Darlow and Lascelles to "comply with FFP" then make our record signing the next day! I think our chairman is a bit slow in the head.

I heard Pearce in his interview saying no way they are getting sold and than next day they was. Like you said the fans will back him up all day, chairman better be careful.

Simon
August 11th, 2014, 9:47 AM
City have done £32m on Mangala. Just mental.

Romford Pele
August 11th, 2014, 10:46 AM
How are they spending this money, I thought they had been sanctioned?

son_of_foley
August 11th, 2014, 11:22 AM
How are they spending this money, I thought they had been sanctioned?

But you know there was no transfer ban right?

Canuck
August 11th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Didn't Barcelona have one, though?

Bluemoon
August 11th, 2014, 1:27 PM
Yeah Barca ban got scrapped I think.

thegoat
August 11th, 2014, 4:16 PM
Suspended for a season, not scrapped.

Ringo
August 11th, 2014, 4:57 PM
No idea how good he is really. I know Deschamps prefers Koscielny and Varane (and even Sakho?) for France but that doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. Will surely improve them greatly in the centre of defence though - which was probably their weakest area by some distance.

Bluemoon
August 11th, 2014, 7:36 PM
Those three are probably better. Not seen much of him but we will soon see how good he is.

Romford Pele
August 12th, 2014, 5:14 AM
But you know there was no transfer ban right?

Yes, but they still have to comply with FFP...

RFF Champ
August 12th, 2014, 5:22 AM

Jack Robinson is rubbish. I reckon he'll eventually settle in his level around League One or Two.

son_of_foley
August 12th, 2014, 6:08 AM
Yes, but they still have to comply with FFP...

Or get fined yeah. They are selling Rodwell and probably Javi Garcia. With a decent CL run they might be closer this year than last

Romford Pele
August 12th, 2014, 8:06 AM
Liverpool in for Etoo apparently - happy with that Liverpool fans?

Bad Collin
August 13th, 2014, 2:19 AM
He'll do for a season. I would rather he came in for free than we waste the Suarez money. Sounds like bollocks though.

Moreno fee of £12m agreed with Kelly off to Palace. I'm glad we finally got our left back.

Ringo
August 13th, 2014, 4:15 AM
According to Jim White, Southampton have agreed a £12m fee with Hull for Shane Long. Price almost doubled in 8 months.

Romford Pele
August 13th, 2014, 4:36 AM
Shane Long £12m?! madness.

Arsenal in for Tiote now is the chat today. Not sure he is what we want, seems indisciplined and maybe not good enough. £8m fee mooted.

Mik
August 13th, 2014, 5:08 AM
Remember when I said that cattermole would do a job for arsenal and got laughed out the building? Well tiote is a black cattermole from the Ivory Coast.

Gary J
August 13th, 2014, 5:11 AM
Shane Long £12m?! madness.

Arsenal in for Tiote now is the chat today. Not sure he is what we want, seems indisciplined and maybe not good enough. £8m fee mooted.

Yeah while I'm a little gutted about him leaving you can't turn down that money for him.

Going by our buy british policy I'm expecting one of Rhodes , Deeney ,Ings or Wickham to be his replacement.

son_of_foley
August 13th, 2014, 5:21 AM
Wickham with profit I think. Bruce signed him at Sunderland right?

Gary J
August 13th, 2014, 5:24 AM
Yeah he signed him for Sunderland and think he's the most likely of the 4 I mentioned.

Simon
August 13th, 2014, 5:38 AM
Just me that doesn't think it's a particularly excessive fee then? Proven PL goalscorer who offers a lot even when he's not scoring, in the prime of his career...£12m might be a little steep but not massively by any means.

Gary J
August 13th, 2014, 6:01 AM
He only scored 4 in 17 games for us yes he offers a lot even when not scoring but so do a lot of strikers who are probably cheaper.

I'd have only expected us to get our money back for him or maybe £8m at best but we've doubled our money can't grumble with that.

Romford Pele
August 13th, 2014, 6:05 AM
Remember when I said that cattermole would do a job for arsenal and got laughed out the building? Well tiote is a black cattermole from the Ivory Coast.

I'm still hoping this is bollocks and we present Khedira or Carvalho but I'm a bit concerned about this....Check Tiote won't be the missing piece that wins us titles

Romford Pele
August 13th, 2014, 6:06 AM
Just me that doesn't think it's a particularly excessive fee then? Proven PL goalscorer who offers a lot even when he's not scoring, in the prime of his career...£12m might be a little steep but not massively by any means.

Is he that proven?

I'm not sure he has ever hit 20+ goals in a season has he? He probably hasn't even done 10+ that many times.

Southampton have been done here.

Grimario
August 13th, 2014, 6:16 AM
Is he that proven?

I'm not sure he has ever hit 20+ goals in a season has he? He probably hasn't even done 10+ that many times.

Southampton have been done here.

He did 20+ back in 10/11. In the Championship.

Hasn't broken 10 in the league since.

Romford Pele
August 13th, 2014, 6:21 AM
Cheers.

So thats what £12m buys these days. No wonder teams look abroad.

Grimario
August 13th, 2014, 6:26 AM
A few rumours going around about our two wingers from the World Cup, Mathew Leckie and Tommy Oar.

Leckie (right wing) has been linked with Stoke (plus a few others) and Oar (left wing) is apparently off to Palace.

Simon
August 13th, 2014, 6:30 AM
For the teams he plays at, he has a decent record - usually at lower-half clubs where 10 is a reasonable return. Like I said though the important thing is he offers more than goals, his work rate is phenomenal - I agree that his goal record alone isn't worth £12m.

Grimario
August 13th, 2014, 6:39 AM
For the teams he plays at, he has a decent record - usually at lower-half clubs where 10 is a reasonable return. Like I said though the important thing is he offers more than goals, his work rate is phenomenal - I agree that his goal record alone isn't worth £12m.

I was going to dispute that but thought I would have a look... Bony, Benteke and Remy are the only strikers outside the TOP EIGHT sides that scored >10 goals last season. Maybe 10 goals for a lower mid table side is a pretty big ask... given that Southampton were inside the top 8 last year and had TWO players over 10 goals, he's got a lot of work to fill those boots.

Mik
August 13th, 2014, 9:22 AM
O'Brien, Buckley, talk to me.

Ringo
August 13th, 2014, 9:40 AM
Lots of teams spent big money on strikers last season who mostly flopped. Cornelius, van Wolfswinkel, Mitroglou, Altidore, Carroll, Soldado to an extent. Bony is the only big one I can think of who definitely didn't (probably forgetting a couple). This summer West Ham have done £12m on Valencia and West Brom £10m on Brown. £12m for Long does seem a lot but I'd be fairly confident he'll do better than most of those. He's given our defence a really hard time the last few times we've been up against him.

Simon
August 13th, 2014, 10:19 AM
O'Brien, Buckley, talk to me.

The Brighton fans bumlick him but he's not that good. He's very, very quick and has a decent scoring record for a winger, that's about it. He's always injured too (less than a hundred games in four years at Brighton), so I wouldn't get excited about him.

Peter Griffin
August 13th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Been linked with Steve Quinn and Chris Wood today, Im not sure why those guys would drop to the championship to sit on the bench but whatever.

RFF Champ
August 13th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Wood has been linked with so many clubs that it must be wages putting teams off. I think I'm right in saying Derby are midtable in terms of wages so can't see him going there. I rate him as a player though.

Peter Griffin
August 13th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Well we are paying about 16k towards Best's wages, I think Woods is a good player, but there is no justification whatsoever for dropping Chris Martin.

StevieV
August 13th, 2014, 3:20 PM
The Brighton fans bumlick him but he's not that good. He's very, very quick and has a decent scoring record for a winger, that's about it. He's always injured too (less than a hundred games in four years at Brighton), so I wouldn't get excited about him.

If he was always fit he would be a great championship winger.

Andy
August 13th, 2014, 3:33 PM
Loads of keepers moving in this window. Diego Lopez is off to Milan now.

Gary J
August 13th, 2014, 4:10 PM
Been linked with Steve Quinn and Chris Wood today, Im not sure why those guys would drop to the championship to sit on the bench but whatever.

Quinn would actually get games at Deby rather then just the odd run out he gets for us. Don't know why you'd think he would be on the bench as his competition would be Jamie Ward and Johnny Russell and I would say he is better then both of those. He is quiet versatile and would be decent in central midfield. He'd be a very good signing for you.

RuneEdge
August 13th, 2014, 4:41 PM
Loads of keepers moving in this window. Diego Lopez is off to Milan now.

That came out of the blue. So they're sticking with Casillas then?

Torn
August 13th, 2014, 4:45 PM
It didn't really come out the blue? Someone was always going to be moving on as soon as they signed Keylor Navas.

RuneEdge
August 13th, 2014, 4:58 PM
Oh right. Didn't even know they had signed someone else.

Peter Griffin
August 13th, 2014, 5:23 PM
Quinn would actually get games at Deby rather then just the odd run out he gets for us. Don't know why you'd think he would be on the bench as his competition would be Jamie Ward and Johnny Russell and I would say he is better then both of those. He is quiet versatile and would be decent in central midfield. He'd be a very good signing for you.

I just dont see Steve breaking up a sucessful formula, I cant comment on Quinn really, but I can say, despite what Alex thinks, that I rate Both of our wide players highly. As for cm we have Coutts, Mascarell, Bryson, Hendrick, Eustace, and Hughes.

Having said all that he certainly could be used out wide when the first choice players arent fit or off the bench, and if he impresses who knows.

RFF Champ
August 13th, 2014, 5:24 PM
You don't know what I think, man.

Peter Griffin
August 13th, 2014, 5:26 PM
Im not going into this again mate but I think you made your views on Russell more than clear. So lets just leave it at that.

RFF Champ
August 13th, 2014, 5:30 PM
Ward is great. I said that to sof years ago while he was saying how Steve McLaren was a fraud at Boro and is rubbish in the transfer market.

RFF Champ
August 13th, 2014, 5:34 PM
Cwyka, Bailey, Ward, Robinson are all good players, so really the squad just needs padding out because it is very thin. I bet you could get David Jones back, he'd fit in well.

April 2011

Peter Griffin
August 13th, 2014, 5:36 PM
I love Wardy, even if he is a midget. I said we should of signed him when he was at Chesterfield, and when we did eventually sign him from Sheff Utd my brother was outraged that we signed a 'Micky Adams' reject, he was made to look a twat soon enough.

Torn
August 13th, 2014, 5:42 PM
April 2011

Shame about the rest of them.

Quinn is a fantastic player for a Championship side.

Peter Griffin
August 13th, 2014, 5:46 PM
Bailey is a odd one, not a bad player by any means.

RFF Champ
August 13th, 2014, 6:07 PM
Bailey looked a really good ball playing midfielder for a while. It helped to have Green and Savage around him to a) protect him and b) make him look a technical wizard. I think the injuries and the rumoured dispute with Clough set him back quite a bit. I would have kept him at Derby as he would have been a good backup in Thorne's role but it's better for him that he's playing regularly for Barnsley.