PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Romford Pele
July 18th, 2014, 6:17 AM
Oh, does it? Does it look like that? Wow. What insight.

Oh jealous Spurs fans ;)

Alf
July 18th, 2014, 6:19 AM
Nope, that was just a moronic statement.

Peter Griffin
July 18th, 2014, 6:22 AM
What else would you expect from Naitch?

Grimario
July 18th, 2014, 6:27 AM
Nope, that was just a moronic statement.

How was a statement that clearly translates to "I like the fact we are getting our transfer business done before deadline day" come across as moronic? It's one of the more normal things NB has ever said. Have you somehow read a "Looks" in there somewhere and gone off on a mentalf attack without justification?

Simon
July 18th, 2014, 6:30 AM
Yeah Grim you're spot on I'm pretty sure Alf misread it. However I fully support his attack on NB anyway.

Grimario
July 18th, 2014, 6:31 AM
Yeah Grim you're spot on I'm pretty sure Alf misread it. However I fully support his attack on NB anyway.

Me too. I just hate Alf (this week, at least)

Beefy
July 18th, 2014, 6:56 AM
Alf's had a shocker.

Mik
July 18th, 2014, 6:59 AM
Yeah, I figured that was the mistake Alf made too. Be interesting to see how he comes back from this.

Grimario
July 18th, 2014, 6:59 AM
So, Arsenal fans... do any of you know anything about Jon Toral?

http://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/jon-toral

He is apparently being linked to my (now) local club on a season loan... to link back up with one of his former Barcelona Academy coaches, now managing here in Australia.

Simon
July 18th, 2014, 7:16 AM
Yeah, I figured that was the mistake Alf made too. Be interesting to see how he comes back from this.

I'm not sure he can.

Andy
July 18th, 2014, 7:22 AM
Andy - do you really think we still need a striker?

Giroud, Walcott, Sanchez, Podolski, Sanago and Campbell can all play there.

I'm more worried about defence

Yeah I do. Walcott won't play there, Sanchez probably won't either, Podolski hasn't played well there, Sanogo isn't ready and Campbell is unproven. I think we'll be relying too heavily on Giroud again if we don't sign another striker. I'd like Remy.

I think we need a keeper, centre back, midfielder and striker to be competitive.

So, Arsenal fans... do any of you know anything about Jon Toral?

http://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/jon-toral

He is apparently being linked to my (now) local club on a season loan... to link back up with one of his former Barcelona Academy coaches, now managing here in Australia.

Not seen much of him but he's a very highly rated midfielder. New Fabregas supposedly. I'd be surprised if he went on loan to Australia at the age of 19.

Mik
July 18th, 2014, 7:26 AM
I think the only thing he can do is either humbly admit his mistake and apologise or style it out and go more on the attack.

Simon
July 18th, 2014, 7:29 AM
:fingersx:

Grimario
July 18th, 2014, 7:31 AM
Not seen much of him but he's a very highly rated midfielder. New Fabregas supposedly. I'd be surprised if he went on loan to Australia at the age of 19.

That's pretty much the response I had to the Adelaide fan that posted it...

Surely that is completely made up bollocks over on the Reds forum? He trained with the first team a bit last season and surely he would be going to a more local club for a half year before re-assessing in the January window?

Seems a bit far fetched that the wonderkid touted as the next Cesc would come on loan to Australia, even with the Gombau connection.

MikeHunt
July 18th, 2014, 7:59 AM
Are both players playing for free then?

Over a five year contract Kroos will cost Madrid somewhere between 20m and 30m more than Lallana will cost Liverpool.

sure about that? wheres the wage figures.

there was a pundit on talksport stating that lallana will be a future england captain.

laughable

Simon
July 18th, 2014, 8:02 AM
sure about that? wheres the wage figures.

there was a pundit on talksport stating that lallana will be a future england captain.

laughable
Lallana will be on 100k max at Liverpool, Kroos will be on 200k minimum at Madrid, that's a bare minimum of 5m a year more in wages alone - signing-on fees and image rights will bump him up too.

Romford Pele
July 18th, 2014, 9:10 AM
Good player, better going forward than coming back as a straight right back and can get over excited sometimes, couple of years at your place and he could easily be one of the best right backs around.

Very happy with his replacement mind.

Can he play centre back as well?

Rip
July 18th, 2014, 9:16 AM
No, not that I've seen plus he is under 6 foot and not that great in the air so wouldn't think so.

Romford Pele
July 18th, 2014, 9:20 AM
So we will definitely need another defender then.

Andy - Sanchez can easily play in the middle, I think if we sign another we would have to sell.

MikeHunt
July 18th, 2014, 9:25 AM
Lallana will be on 100k max at Liverpool, Kroos will be on 200k minimum at Madrid, that's a bare minimum of 5m a year more in wages alone - signing-on fees and image rights will bump him up too.

100,000 a week is madness. adam fucking lallana for the love of god.

son_of_foley
July 18th, 2014, 9:32 AM
100,000 a week is madness. adam fucking lallana for the love of god.

Adam Lallana is a very tidy footballer. This is a bizarre rant from you

son_of_foley
July 18th, 2014, 9:33 AM
Leicester are rumoured to be spending SEVEN MILLION POUNDS on Ulloa from Brighton. I mean in that marketplace Lallana is a bargain

MikeHunt
July 18th, 2014, 9:33 AM
is tidy worth 26 million and 100,000 per week wages.

MikeHunt
July 18th, 2014, 9:35 AM
Alexis sanchez only cost 9 million more than adam lallana.

Romford Pele
July 18th, 2014, 9:37 AM
That is the english premium though isnt it. If you look at the kind of players and prices Newcastle are getting it is much more sensible I would say.

MikeHunt
July 18th, 2014, 9:41 AM
the english premium is the most ridiculous thing in the whole of football.

alexis sanchez is a year younger than lallana as well. fucking hell. absolute madness.

Romford Pele
July 18th, 2014, 9:42 AM
I agree there are some silly fees. Though clubs are hamstrung to a degree as you need a number of 'home grown' players in your squad don't you?

MikeHunt
July 18th, 2014, 9:44 AM
play youth instead of spunking stupid money on average players or as they are now know future england captains.

Romford Pele
July 18th, 2014, 9:51 AM
Though, if you are a manager and dependant on short term results, would you risk your job on kids from the academy?

I am not disagreeing with you, but this is probably one of the reasons there is such a shallow talent pool of english players as managers are too fearful to risk unproven players and when one does get on the market they are double/treble the price of a foreign player.

Difficult problem to solve. When there is so much money in the game, Leeds can ask for 11m for a Championship level player and get it.

Rip
July 18th, 2014, 10:58 AM
When you look at the fees we have paid for the players we've bought so far you have to admit anyone playing in this country seems to automatically get 5m added to their price.

Beefy
July 18th, 2014, 11:08 AM
It is nothing about nationality it is the league that they're playing in. Southampton have no need to sell Adam Lallana for less than 26m therefore they received 26m. It's basic supply and demand.

It doesn't really apply in other countries where TV rights are lower, or at top clubs trying to shift 250k a week footballers off of the wage bill and trying to make some effort to look like they're compling with FFP.

Red Dog
July 18th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Michael Mancienne lads - any good?

Peter Griffin
July 18th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Good enough for a mid table championship side.

RFF Champ
July 18th, 2014, 11:32 AM

He had loads of potential. Really composed defender, good on the ball and alert to danger. He was excellent in the Championship for Wolves and Capello called him up to an England squad off the back of that and some top performances for the U21s. He never really kicked on. Mick McCarthy started playing him in midfield and his opportunities dwindled. He made a really bad backpass that led to a goal which meant he rarely got played and was scapegoated.

Bit ropey in the air and quite slight but like I say he had a real air of class about him. I think it's quite a good signing although Ringo should know more about how he got on in Germany.

_me
July 18th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Mike Hunt's seemingly random hatred of Lallana has got me thinking about fandom -
so my question to everyone is: are there any footballers that you dislike for no obvious reason? So nothing to do will diving or biting or playing for your rivals, etc. Those are perfectly valid reasons. I was more thinking the way someone looks or the way the press covers them - things completely unrelated to the sport.

I can't think of anyone in football I hate like that b/c I am in America so I don't get 24/7 coverage like most of you. But there are plenty of American athletes I can't stand to look at (our media's obsession w/ Peyton Manning, LeBron James and Derek Jeter has made all of them annoying to me through no fault of their own.)

Simon
July 18th, 2014, 11:36 AM

Not sure what happened to him out in Germany but when he left I had really high hopes for him - thought he was a really good prospect. Quick, intelligent, decent technically - possibly lacked a bit of height to be a centre back at the highest level but could also play full back and midfield. As I say I've no idea what happened at Hamburg, according to Wikipedia he only played 49 times in three years there, but I'd be surprised if he didn't turn out to be a very decent signing at Championship level at least.

Any news on Lascelles from your end? We keep being linked with him, how good do you think he'll be?

Simon
July 18th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Mike Hunt's seemingly random hatred of Lallana has got me thinking about fandom -
so my question to everyone is: are there any footballers that you dislike for no obvious reason? So nothing to do will diving or biting or playing for your rivals, etc. Those are perfectly valid reasons. I was more thinking the way someone looks or the way the press covers them - things completely unrelated to the sport.

Quite a lot of Arsenal players I can't really justify hating but still do. I'm not sure what the criteria is though - I'm comfortable with the idea that Wilshere, Giroud, Flamini and others are just not likeable people regardless of rivalry, but the likes of Ozil, Koscielny, Cazorla...I can't justify it any better than simply hating their fucking annoying faces. But at the same time, I would feel righteous in disliking Chesney, yet something about his willingness to embrace the rivalry and wind us up makes me like him. Then there are a handful - Mertesacker, Ramsey, Jenkinson - that just seem like decent lads.

I meant to bring this up a while ago actually, so why not do it now (as with your question it might be better in the football thread rather than the transfers thread but fuck it):

Ignoring rivalries, which teams do you dislike the most?

I ask this because I've increasingly come to the realisation that, despite definitely hating Arsenal the most, a non-negotiatable and unalienable truth that will last forever, take out the fact that I'm obliged to do so and I don't think they would feature especially highly on my list of disliked teams.

Chelsea and Liverpool would be the top two by a mile, with nothing to choose between them - Chelsea because the team itself is stacked with cunts and a lot of their fans are real nasty scumbags, a minority of course but in my experience a far larger minority than you get with other teams. With Liverpool it's entirely the fans, and their deluded, self-victimising idiocy, which entertains and annoys in equal measure. West Ham would probably be third simply because as with Chelsea a lot of their fans are cunts. But yeah...take away the obligation and I find it hard to really dislike Arsenal's team. The fans are of course arrogance and irritating, but not to the same extent as Chelsea's or Liverpool's

MikeHunt
July 18th, 2014, 11:56 AM
It is nothing about nationality it is the league that they're playing in. Southampton have no need to sell Adam Lallana for less than 26m therefore they received 26m. It's basic supply and demand.

It doesn't really apply in other countries where TV rights are lower, or at top clubs trying to shift 250k a week footballers off of the wage bill and trying to make some effort to look like they're compling with FFP.

no need to sell except why would you want an unhappy player poisoning your squad just cause he want's to leave.

i don't hate lallana i just think hes massively overrated.

Red Dog
July 18th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Not sure what happened to him out in Germany but when he left I had really high hopes for him - thought he was a really good prospect. Quick, intelligent, decent technically - possibly lacked a bit of height to be a centre back at the highest level but could also play full back and midfield. As I say I've no idea what happened at Hamburg, according to Wikipedia he only played 49 times in three years there, but I'd be surprised if he didn't turn out to be a very decent signing at Championship level at least.

Any news on Lascelles from your end? We keep being linked with him, how good do you think he'll be?
I think the fact we have signed Mancienne and this youth from Barca suggests if we get a top bid then Lascelles may be off.

I'd be quite disappointed as I rate him a lot and he would suffer by sitting on your bench. Although personally I thought Dawson looked better when they were the same age, so if that is the frame of reference then I guess that wont fill you with confidence. Great header, reasonably quick, I think he will make it in the Prem absolutely. Whether it is a top 6 side though I would need to see more to make a judgement.

MikeHunt
July 18th, 2014, 11:58 AM

I ask this because I've increasingly come to the realisation that, despite definitely hating Arsenal the most, a non-negotiatable and unalienable truth that will last forever, take out the fact that I'm obliged to do so and I don't think they would feature especially highly on my list of disliked teams.

Chelsea and Liverpool would be the top two by a mile, with nothing to choose between them - Chelsea because the team itself is stacked with cunts and a lot of their fans are real nasty scumbags, a minority of course but in my experience a far larger minority than you get with other teams. With Liverpool it's entirely the fans, and their deluded, self-victimising idiocy, which entertains and annoys in equal measure. West Ham would probably be third simply because as with Chelsea a lot of their fans are cunts. But yeah...take away the obligation and I find it hard to really dislike Arsenal's team. The fans are of course arrogance and irritating, but not to the same extent as Chelsea's or Liverpool's

Celtic, Falkirk, Aberdeen and Liverpool.

i only actually hate liverpool out of that lot. which tbh says a lot about them.

Beefy
July 18th, 2014, 11:59 AM
no need to sell except why would you want an unhappy player poisoning your squad just cause he want's to leave.

Is there any suggestion he was going to play up if he didn't get a move then?

He obviously did want to move and Liverpool wanted to buy him but there was no imminent need for them to sell him below his market price which clearly is 26m (or else he'd have gone for less).

The point was more that with there being so much money in the Premier League now that the old idea of smaller clubs having to sell their better players to bigger clubs in order to keep moving forward no longer applies so a Southampton can hold out for that sort of money when an equivilent mid-table team in Spain or Italy would sell for much less.

Beefy
July 18th, 2014, 12:07 PM

This is in the wrong thread I guess but there's no team I particularly dislike beyond ones to do with local rivalries (Colchester, Orient) or past wrongs (Birmingham City, whoever Jermain Defoe plays for).

I was raised as a West Ham fan like my Grandad so it pains me to see some of the most odious characters in football (Alladyce, Gold, Sullivan, Brady) all with their feet under the table at Upton Park and I do like to see them lose now.

There's no one I really dislike beyond that though. Liverpool for a while but it was difficult to dislike them last season. Fulham for a few years but Martin Jol's side won me over there.

MikeHunt
July 18th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Is there any suggestion he was going to play up if he didn't get a move then?

He obviously did want to move and Liverpool wanted to buy him but there was no imminent need for them to sell him below his market price which clearly is 26m (or else he'd have gone for less).

The point was more that with there being so much money in the Premier League now that the old idea of smaller clubs having to sell their better players to bigger clubs in order to keep moving forward no longer applies so a Southampton can hold out for that sort of money when an equivilent mid-table team in Spain or Italy would sell for much less.

when has a english footballer not played up when he has been linked with a bigger club and more money. never beefy.

if adam lallana is worth 26 million how much is a player like barkley or sterling worth?

who are both younger and look better than an average/tidy player.

i can only assume priceless.

Beefy
July 18th, 2014, 12:09 PM
They're worth whatever another club will pay for them and whatever their clubs won't sell them below. 40m+ I assume.

Worth isn't arbitrary. It's economics.

MikeHunt
July 18th, 2014, 12:20 PM
no it's apparently whether you are english or not.

automatically adds 15million regardless of; age, quality, experience, league ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect ect

Gary J
July 18th, 2014, 12:25 PM
The only teams I hate are Leeds and Bradford. I dislike Liverpool in the same way people hate Man United now because growing up they won everything and it was just sickening. Getting taunted at school by the gloryhunting fucks that supported them after they beat us in 89 didn't help either. I also used to hate Southampton because I could never beat the fuckers on champ manager they would always fuck me over no matter what great team I assembled.

Peter Griffin
July 18th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Millwall, absolute scum of the earth.

I hated the cunts even before this:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/429983/Nigel-Clough-fears-for-Derby-safety-after-Millwall-fan-attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R2-Rn_FFyQ

Now obviously that is their latest incident that I am aware of, but their rap sheet is that long I could spend all night typing it up.

Rip
July 18th, 2014, 12:44 PM
I dis-like Liverpool as most of their fans are blinkered opinionated arses, the defence of Suarez capped it all for me.

Oh, and Sunderland for similar reasons.

Peter Griffin
July 18th, 2014, 12:48 PM
http://i4.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article3249637.ece/alternates/s2197/luis-suarez-tshirt-620-260467072.jpg

_me
July 18th, 2014, 1:24 PM
it is funny you mentioned teams, I still don't feel right calling myself a Spurs fans since I am so recent and have no history with them, but the reason I started liking them in the first place was my DISLIKE of Arsenal. I had a boss that was an Arsenal fan and I was constantly getting annoyed by little things that the Arsenal players and fans were doing and took that as a sign that maybe I belong with Spurs.

I also used to hate Southampton because I could never beat the fuckers on champ manager they would always fuck me over no matter what great team I assembled.
I like that you hold grudges from video games into real life. I do that too. I have never forgiven NC St for ruining my perfect season in NCAA Football 2005!

son_of_foley
July 18th, 2014, 1:33 PM
I think the fact we have signed Mancienne and this youth from Barca suggests if we get a top bid then Lascelles may be off.

I'd be quite disappointed as I rate him a lot and he would suffer by sitting on your bench. Although personally I thought Dawson looked better when they were the same age, so if that is the frame of reference then I guess that wont fill you with confidence. Great header, reasonably quick, I think he will make it in the Prem absolutely. Whether it is a top 6 side though I would need to see more to make a judgement.

Is Mancienne not yet another CB with knee problems?

Heard Lacelles has some pretty bad tendonitis in his knee. Bit of a worry for his future with that. You boys must have a metric fuck ton of centre backs these days. Wilson, Hobbs, Collins and others?

Red Dog
July 18th, 2014, 1:41 PM

Heard Lacelles has some pretty bad tendonitis in his knee. Bit of a worry for his future with that. You boys must have a metric fuck ton of centre backs these days. Wilson, Hobbs, Collins and others?

Davies broke them all.

Lichaj, Wilson, Hobbs and Cohen were injured last season (all before Jan) and still haven't started playing yet.

I am keen to see how they progress under a normal, sane manager who doesn't run them into the ground.

Collins is garbage.

son_of_foley
July 18th, 2014, 1:43 PM
Wilson was broke a long time ago. Weird that you paid 2.5m for someone who left on a free.

How the fuck you guys keep spending money is beyond me

Red Dog
July 18th, 2014, 2:12 PM
Wilson played 50 games for Celtic the season before we bought him? On his day he is the best defender in the league but also I don't think his head is screwed on correctly.

Peter Griffin
July 18th, 2014, 4:00 PM

They recently signed Lang, who I think is a cb also?

Bad Collin
July 19th, 2014, 7:26 AM
We are selling Borini for 14m. Hopefully we have two strikers on the way.

MMH
July 19th, 2014, 7:36 AM
How the fuck are you getting 14M? You paid 10M for him and dont want him!

Fuck football!

RFF Champ
July 19th, 2014, 8:21 AM
Borini for Remy and change. What are Sunderland playing at?

Mik
July 19th, 2014, 10:11 AM
We are selling Borini for 14m. Hopefully we have two strikers on the way.

How the fuck are you getting 14M? You paid 10M for him and dont want him!

Fuck football!

Borini for Remy and change. What are Sunderland playing at?

Unfortunately it's way too much for my liking. I would've been happy with around 7m. I think he's a good player but he only just got to 19 goals this season and half of them were through penalties. I like him a lot, but the simple fact is that remy wouldn't come to us and not would most of the players we would be likely to get for a better value. Who wants to come to the north east? Especially the Sunderland side of it.

MMH
July 19th, 2014, 11:00 AM
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/489904/Man-Utd-Arsenal-and-Spurs-set-for-epic-three-way-battle-to-land-Everton-s-James-McCarthy

I dont know how these papers stay in business.

Ignoring the fact he has signed two new deals since he has been here, one of which in the last fortnight why on earth would we sell him?

Such lazy journalism. The World Cup had made me forget how much football annoys me these days. Every year its the same thing.

Romford Pele
July 19th, 2014, 4:05 PM
14m for Borini. Mental

Good business by Liverpool today, that's for sure

Bluemoon
July 19th, 2014, 4:17 PM
Apparently now he's turned down Sunderland and wants to stay at Liverpool.

Andy
July 20th, 2014, 1:03 PM
Disappointed we're not in for Remy.

Rip
July 20th, 2014, 1:30 PM
14m for Remy to clubs QPR consider rivals for next season and his attitude over the last few weeks of the season didn't help.

I think with our new signings he'd be lethal, but I sort of get why we aren't.

Bad Collin
July 20th, 2014, 2:03 PM
Disappointed we're not in for Remy.

Wages is the issue which is not a surprise since you brought in Sanchez. Your wage bill must be massive now.

Rip
July 20th, 2014, 2:37 PM
I am shocked at least another couple of sides didn't come in for him though, he is a genuine threat and has proven ability.

Bad Collin
July 20th, 2014, 2:38 PM
They did but he wants Champions league football.

Gary J
July 20th, 2014, 3:04 PM
So he is only staying at Liverpool for a season?

Bad Collin
July 20th, 2014, 3:05 PM
Probably. We'll be able to sell him for 14-15m if he has a good season though.

Rip
July 20th, 2014, 3:07 PM
He'll get around 20 goals, miss your last few games with an 'injury' and sign for Arsenal in the close season after you finish sixth...

Bad Collin
July 20th, 2014, 3:17 PM
I think we'll get fifth. Also, I don't see us selling to Arsenal.

Bad Collin
July 21st, 2014, 3:58 AM
Looks like Southampton have caved with Lovren so we should get him for about 20m

With Rodriguez set to sign for Madrid we are heavily linked with a loan for Isco

Borini seems to have rejected the move to Sunderland in order to fight for his place which is annoying

MikeHunt
July 21st, 2014, 4:02 AM
VDV to QPR?

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2014, 4:16 AM
I think we'll get fifth. Also, I don't see us selling to Arsenal.

I love the fact you correct him to finishing 5th. THATS CONFIDENCE FOR YOU LADS

Simon
July 21st, 2014, 4:18 AM
VDV to QPR?

Redknapp really is a caricature of himself these days, 90% of his signings come from a pool of about 20 players.

Guardian are saying Chelsea are going to re-sign Drogba. Not the player he once was but will be good to see him in the league again. Interesting to see whether this is the end of Torres or Lukaku.

Mik
July 21st, 2014, 5:07 AM
Borini seems to have rejected the move to Sunderland in order to fight for his place which is annoying

Apparently he's getting a lot of abuse for it on twitter, which your lot need to be careful about. You've got a young lad who has experience of English football and did well on loan and he wants a chance at the club instead of being sold without being given a chance. Surely that's the exact type of player you'd want?

Simon
July 21st, 2014, 5:12 AM
Yeah that's some bullshit. Hard-working talented players who are willing to accept a squad role and work hard to prove themselves are exactly what Liverpool should be looking for. The money on offer was big, but it's not as if Liverpool are short of cash now Suarez has gone.

Simon
July 21st, 2014, 5:13 AM
Morata has signed for Juve, opening up the possibility that Tevez or Llorente might go.

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2014, 5:48 AM
Llorente is a gorgeous hunk of a man

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2014, 5:49 AM
Though he shouldnt have cut his hair

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2014, 6:14 AM
Wages is the issue which is not a surprise since you brought in Sanchez. Your wage bill must be massive now.

We did get rid of '52k a week' Bentdner and I think Chammakh was on 60k, so we have removed some big earners.

Not fussed we didnt get Remy, we don't need him. Out priority should be at the back now.

Simon
July 21st, 2014, 6:17 AM
I'm not sure you need Remy specifically, especially if he's going to cost a bomb in wages, but Giroud is neither good enough for a title-challenging side nor capable of playing 60 games a season (not a criticism, hardly anyone is)...I don't think you have anyone other than Giroud up front now do you? Walcott and Podolski aren't natural strikers and don't convince there, and there's no one else.

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2014, 6:21 AM
Centre Back or Where?

Simon
July 21st, 2014, 6:23 AM
Definitely not left back anyway, as Andy has explained Gibbs is the best left back in the history of football.

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2014, 6:26 AM
And you both agree Jenkinson is amazing so who knows :)

Simon
July 21st, 2014, 6:29 AM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/21/shakhtar-donetsk-players-missing-douglas-costa

Shakhtar Donetsk’s owner has confirmed six players have refused to return to Ukraine for the new season as conflict rages around the club’s home city.

Brazilians Douglas Costa, Fred, Dentinho, Alex Teixiera and Ismaily plus Argentine striker Facundo Ferreyra remained in France following a friendly against Lyon on Saturday.

In a statement on the club’s website, the owner, Rinat Akhmetov, warned the players that “in the first instance they will suffer” if they do not return, because their actions could activate compensation clauses forcing them to pay “tens of millions of euros” to Shakhtar.

“It is true, six team players have not come,” said Akhmetov.

“I don’t rule out that these players will return to the team quickly, and some of them tomorrow. Players have contracts that they have to abide by. If they do not come, I think, they will be the first to suffer. Each of them has a minimum release clause, which is tens of millions of euros. If someone wants to reduce this amount by a million, then such a decision is our right. There won’t be a clearance sale.

“Hopefully, the mind and heart will prevail over misunderstanding, and the players will not follow temptation and fear. Especially since there is nothing to fear. We are ready to provide security. We will not take risks and in any case we won’t bring players to dangerous places.

“We want to play in Donetsk very much, but, unfortunately, at the moment we cannot do it. We will play where we will be allowed to: we would like to do it in Kharkiv. The decision regarding the championship is taken by the Ukrainian Football Federation. Through our game, we will call for peace and try to bring joy to our fans.”

Awkward one for UEFA to deal with.

Simon
July 21st, 2014, 6:31 AM
And you both agree Jenkinson is amazing so who knows :)

I maintain that Jenkinson's improvement was one of the most sudden and massive I can remember. He still wasn't great or anything, but he went from being literally about a 2/10 player to a 6 or a 7, a perfectly decent back-up. Fair play to him for coming back after Bale just tore him apart a couple of years ago, the same thing happened to Maicon and it basically ended his career as a top class player.

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2014, 6:33 AM
So are they talking about a 3rd and 4th choice CB? This is assuming vermalen goes right?

Beefy
July 21st, 2014, 6:36 AM
I'm not sure you need Remy specifically, especially if he's going to cost a bomb in wages, but Giroud is neither good enough for a title-challenging side nor capable of playing 60 games a season (not a criticism, hardly anyone is)...I don't think you have anyone other than Giroud up front now do you? Walcott and Podolski aren't natural strikers and don't convince there, and there's no one else.

Surely Sanchez starts up top in the no.9 position? He's made for that role, IMO.

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2014, 7:24 AM

Sanchez can easily play there, Sanogo is young but raw and Theo did alright there last time, so I think we have enough there to be honest.

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2014, 7:25 AM
Centre Back or Where?

Centre back and goalie.

If Tommy V leaves we definitely need one, and then it is dependent on whether Wenger decides to trust Miguel or Bellerin.

Simon
July 21st, 2014, 7:26 AM
Sanchez can easily play there, Sanogo is young but raw and Theo did alright there last time, so I think we have enough there to be honest.

Sanogo is terrible. I don't remember Sanchez ever playing right up top, could be wrong though.

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2014, 7:27 AM
I maintain that Jenkinson's improvement was one of the most sudden and massive I can remember. He still wasn't great or anything, but he went from being literally about a 2/10 player to a 6 or a 7, a perfectly decent back-up. Fair play to him for coming back after Bale just tore him apart a couple of years ago, the same thing happened to Maicon and it basically ended his career as a top class player.

You have been listening to ol Arry too much. Maicon has just had a solid season at Roma in Serie A. Any claims of Bale ending his career are just rubbish.

Simon
July 21st, 2014, 7:28 AM
Surely Sanchez starts up top in the no.9 position? He's made for that role, IMO.
I've only ever seen him play in the attacking mid roles off a striker - certainly for Barca and Chile, not sure about when he was at Udinese. I wouldn't have said he was made for the position either...probably could play it, in the way Aguero and Tevez can, as he's small but stocky and strong...but he certainly isn't someone I would immediately think of as playing up front.

Simon
July 21st, 2014, 7:29 AM
You have been listening to ol Arry too much. Maicon has just had a solid season at Roma in Serie A. Any claims of Bale ending his career are just rubbish.

I'm sure there isn't a direct link, but around that time he was still considered one of the best right backs in Europe. A year later he was allowed to leave and went to City where he barely played.

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2014, 7:29 AM
Sanogo is terrible. I don't remember Sanchez ever playing right up top, could be wrong though.

Hang on, the kid is what, 19, and you are writing him off after half a dozen games?

Great work rate and can head a ball very well. He needs to work on his finishing of course but I think that is more snatching at chance rather than a lack of quality. As a third choice I think he is ok.

Simon
July 21st, 2014, 7:32 AM
Hang on, the kid is what, 19, and you are writing him off after half a dozen games?

Great work rate and can head a ball very well. He needs to work on his finishing of course but I think that is more snatching at chance rather than a lack of quality. As a third choice I think he is ok.
His touch is terrible, he's basically just a lump that can run around a bit. He doesn't look anywhere near the level required IMO. Technically he isn't a patch on Harry Kane, and Kane is crap.

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2014, 7:47 AM
I'm sure there isn't a direct link, but around that time he was still considered one of the best right backs in Europe. A year later he was allowed to leave and went to City where he barely played.

And from City, he went to Roma where he is current first choice right back. Not bad for someone whos career is apparently over.

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2014, 7:49 AM
His touch is terrible, he's basically just a lump that can run around a bit. He doesn't look anywhere near the level required IMO. Technically he isn't a patch on Harry Kane, and Kane is crap.

So, the fact that he was injured for most of last season, and then made his debut V Liverpool in the cup and set up the first goal means he is crap?

At least judge him over a season. I remember gimps like Tony Gale slagging off Henry in his first half dozen games - I'm not comparing the two but things can change very quickly.

Simon
July 21st, 2014, 7:53 AM
The comparison means nothing. Never mind a full season or twelve games, you could tell after 10 minutes that Sanogo wasn't much good. He is technically awful. You can improve parts of his game but you cannot make a crap technical footballer good, certainly not at this late stage of his youth development.

Beefy
July 21st, 2014, 7:57 AM
Sanchez looks made for the centre-forward role to me - especially in away matches. At home you probably want someone who can put himself about a bit more and hold the ball up but away or when chasing the game I think he could do fantastically well there.

Arsenal don't tend to go long anyway. The likes of Cazorla, Ozil, Rosicky, etc can hold onto the ball allowing Walcott, Ox, Sanchez, etc to get into attacking positions.

Grimario
July 21st, 2014, 8:09 AM
The comparison means nothing. Never mind a full season or twelve games, you could tell after 10 minutes that Sanogo wasn't much good. He is technically awful. You can improve parts of his game but you cannot make a crap technical footballer good, certainly not at this late stage of his youth development.

I'm with Simon on this. Yaya's A no go.

Almost criminal that he's there getting game time and Campbell keeps getting shipped off on loan.

Romford Pele
July 21st, 2014, 9:23 AM
I would like to give him a full season. If he's still shite then, I will agree.

I think Campbell was on loan for work permit purposes by the way.

RFF Champ
July 21st, 2014, 5:09 PM
Leicester are losing it a bit trying to sign these Championship strikers. Ulloa is good enough I think but Deeney at 6.5mil seems a massive waste.

Bluemoon
July 21st, 2014, 5:27 PM
Wouldn't say a massive waste, there's a lot worst forwards out there.

Peter Griffin
July 21st, 2014, 5:30 PM
Fuck sake even my English is better than that.

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2014, 5:32 PM
Leicester are losing it a bit trying to sign these Championship strikers. Ulloa is good enough I think but Deeney at 6.5mil seems a massive waste.

I like Ulloa but not at that price. Deeney has more of an upside

Gary J
July 21st, 2014, 5:37 PM
I think Deeney is the best striker outside the prem. I reckon he could do better then Leicester to be honest. Saying that he'll be first choice I suppose.

Peter Griffin
July 21st, 2014, 5:39 PM
Chris Martin is clearly the best striker outside the prem :panic:

Gary J
July 21st, 2014, 5:42 PM
I certainly thought so at times last season as he helped me claim 3rd in RFF. Still can't believe SOF dropped him.

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2014, 5:44 PM
I worried I was mincing him. I always do this. sign derbys players then freak out I've jinxed them and drop them

Peter Griffin
July 21st, 2014, 5:44 PM
For shame SOF for shame :mad:

son_of_foley
July 21st, 2014, 5:46 PM
If I hadn't dropped him he would've flopped

Gary J
July 21st, 2014, 5:48 PM
I worried I was mincing him. I always do this. sign derbys players then freak out I've jinxed them and drop them

Same I think I jinxed Matty Fryatt he seemed to just stop scoring for Hull once I got him. Shane Long did ok for me though. Luckily we have never have any prolific scorers so it's not been a problem I've faced (got promoted with no-one reaching double figures , stayed up with no-one reaching double figures)

Grimario
July 21st, 2014, 6:11 PM
I would like to give him a full season. If he's still shite then, I will agree.

I think Campbell was on loan for work permit purposes by the way.

Not last season.

sauce: arseblog

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/07/campbell-finally-receives-work-permit/

RFF Champ
July 22nd, 2014, 5:57 AM
Deeney just strikes me as an athletic goal hanger. I don't see much more to his game. Nugent will score goals next season, they need someone to partner him, Vardy is still unknown but did well last season and is capable backup. I don't think Deeney is much better than Danny Graham whose relatively poor movement got found out quickly.

son_of_foley
July 22nd, 2014, 6:00 AM
Deeney just strikes me as an athletic goal hanger. I don't see much more to his game. Nugent will score goals next season, they need someone to partner him, Vardy is still unknown but did well last season and is capable backup. I don't think Deeney is much better than Danny Graham whose relatively poor movement got found out quickly.

Deeney's hold up play was pretty brilliant at Watford I thought.

Romford Pele
July 22nd, 2014, 6:08 AM
Not last season.

sauce: arseblog

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/07/campbell-finally-receives-work-permit/

Fair play. Well that is confusing, why he would loan him out but keep Ryo Myachi.

Simon
July 22nd, 2014, 6:52 AM
Ulloa to Leicester confirmed. Think he'll do alright in the Prem - he won't score a shitload but he's physical, good in the air, works hard and brings people into play. My only worry is that he was perfect for Brighton's system and I'm not sure he suits Leicester's style quite as well...AFAIK Leicester play with inside out wingers in Dyer and the French lad, without much emphasis on crossing, is that right? A lot of Ulloa's goals came from crosses last year.

Simon
July 22nd, 2014, 8:10 AM
Rodriguez to Madrid confirmed. Ronaldo, Bale, Di Maria, Benzema, Isco, Jese, Rodriguez. Fucking mental.

BBF
July 22nd, 2014, 8:17 AM
Higuain. Kroos.Illarramendi.

Ringo
July 22nd, 2014, 8:22 AM
Higuain has been at Napoli for a year BBF. And Illaramendi is more of a defensive midfielder no?

Rumours of Isco and Di Maria being on their way of course, but that is a fairly mental array of talent.

BBF
July 22nd, 2014, 8:24 AM
I've had an absolute nightmare there. What a fucking time for this.

These are the dark days, lads.

The Rosk
July 22nd, 2014, 8:31 AM
higuain?

Peter Griffin
July 22nd, 2014, 8:40 AM
the French lad, .

Knockaert

Alf
July 22nd, 2014, 8:43 AM
So there's photos of Davies training with the team but no announcement?

Ringo
July 22nd, 2014, 8:47 AM
Ulloa to Leicester confirmed. Think he'll do alright in the Prem - he won't score a shitload but he's physical, good in the air, works hard and brings people into play. My only worry is that he was perfect for Brighton's system and I'm not sure he suits Leicester's style quite as well...AFAIK Leicester play with inside out wingers in Dyer and the French lad, without much emphasis on crossing, is that right? A lot of Ulloa's goals came from crosses last year.

Dyer was released and went to Watford apparently.

Peter Griffin
July 22nd, 2014, 8:51 AM
Well thats some BS he was one of their best players any time I watched them.

Romford Pele
July 22nd, 2014, 10:27 AM
Rodriguez to Madrid confirmed. Ronaldo, Bale, Di Maria, Benzema, Isco, Jese, Rodriguez. Fucking mental.

Surely two of those will be on the way out to balance the books. maybe Di Maria and Benzema.

RFF Champ
July 22nd, 2014, 11:03 AM
Well thats some BS he was one of their best players any time I watched them.

They replaced him with Mahrez who is a better player.

Peter Griffin
July 22nd, 2014, 11:06 AM
Are you a scout or something? You seem to 'know' how good every single player in the world is opposed to others.

Simon
July 22nd, 2014, 11:26 AM
Assuming Mahrez is the French lad I mentioned earlier, it took me ten minutes watching him in one game to think that he was a better player than Dyer, it's hardly impossible that Alex could have seen enough to be confident in that assessment. The Championship isn't some backwater league in Eastern Europe that only interests quick-draw gambling crooks.

Peter Griffin
July 22nd, 2014, 11:34 AM
Knockaert as I said is the french lad, Mahrez is Algerian. I get what you are saying but Alex seemingly knows how good every player someone brings up is, he must be watching football 24/7.

Simon
July 22nd, 2014, 11:45 AM
I was definitely on about Mahrez rather than Knockaert, as I already knew him. Again, these are not difficult players to find...being a fan of a Championship team I find it stranger that you don't know much about these players than that Alex does. I have only a passing interest in the Championship and still picked out Knockaert in particular as a class act and Mahrez as looking very handy when I first saw him play. I'm the first to assume it's received information when someone starts gobbing off about how good some kid in the Slovenian league is, but these are not unknown players at all.

RFF Champ
July 22nd, 2014, 12:20 PM
Are you a scout or something? You seem to 'know' how good every single player in the world is opposed to others.

I've not long left this job: http://www.bcfc.com/news/article/20140718-first-team-performance-analyst-vacancy-1768816.aspx

turdpower
July 22nd, 2014, 3:50 PM
Surely two of those will be on the way out to balance the books. maybe Di Maria and Benzema.

Benzema is the only proper first team striker left at the club. They've just sold Morata to Juve and have nobody else to play the role.

Khedira will probably go and if they get a decent offer for Di Maria, he will probably be allowed to leave.

Peter Griffin
July 22nd, 2014, 8:05 PM
I was definitely on about Mahrez rather than Knockaert, as I already knew him. Again, these are not difficult players to find...being a fan of a Championship team I find it stranger that you don't know much about these players than that Alex does. I have only a passing interest in the Championship and still picked out Knockaert in particular as a class act and Mahrez as looking very handy when I first saw him play. I'm the first to assume it's received information when someone starts gobbing off about how good some kid in the Slovenian league is, but these are not unknown players at all.

Well I have seen Dyer play on numerous occasions and always thought he was good but that was my only point really.

Bojan Krkjic (sp?) Signing for Stoke is a eyebrow raiser for me.

Simon
July 23rd, 2014, 4:10 AM
He was the new Messi about six new Messis ago.

Simon
July 23rd, 2014, 4:54 AM
Can someone please explain why United's chief exec has come out and said they have shitloads of money to spend and are willing to break the transfer record if necessary? Every other chief exec in the country is gonna be licking his lips if he sees Woodward come up on his phone now.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 23rd, 2014, 6:00 AM
He didn't say that, he just said they had money and would pay what is needed to get the right player and that whether it was a transfer record or not was besides the point if the deal is right. It was reported as "we can break transfer fee records" but the words he actually used were completely different. He also said his job was to get the best deal possible, nothing about being taken to the cleaners for the sake of it.

Simon
July 23rd, 2014, 6:04 AM
He made a point of saying they had no set budget. That is as clear a "take me to the cleaners" message as any other chief exec could want to hear. I'm sure they won't be paying stupidly over the odds for anyone, but it wouldn't surprise me if they missed out on a player or two because the selling team set the price high knowing that United have money to spend. Like I say it probably won't make much difference but it seems like an extraordinarily stupid thing to come out and say.

Romford Pele
July 23rd, 2014, 6:05 AM
Cannot believe Stoke have signed Bojan, what has football come to?!

El Capitano Gatisto
July 23rd, 2014, 6:25 AM
He made a point of saying they had no set budget. That is as clear a "take me to the cleaners" message as any other chief exec could want to hear. I'm sure they won't be paying stupidly over the odds for anyone, but it wouldn't surprise me if they missed out on a player or two because the selling team set the price high knowing that United have money to spend. Like I say it probably won't make much difference but it seems like an extraordinarily stupid thing to come out and say.

Teams demand high prices for players they don't want to lose regardless, the budget of the spending team has no bearing on it other than the effect it has on how much they are willing to spend. This is a classic fallacy touted around, I feel, as the transfer fee is always a compromise. Just because United have more to spend doesn't mean a team will want a bigger transfer fee than if they sell to Leicester City, the value of the player to them is the same. What the statement really means is that failing to sign players will not be a matter of budget but of value and whether the deal can be done.

If a team wants to sell a player, they may ask for more money from a rich team to extract the best deal, but they also run the risk of not selling the player. So really that balances out too.

Alf
July 23rd, 2014, 6:27 AM
So we've allegedly signed Vorm. He told the dutch press APPAZ

Simon
July 23rd, 2014, 6:28 AM
All that is true enough, but a chief exec shooting his mouth off about having no budget just seems brainlessly braggadocio to me. It cannot help things.

Apparently Barcelona have just done €17m on Jeremy Mathieu. Seems incredibly high for a 30 year old. Don't know much about him though.

Simon
July 23rd, 2014, 6:31 AM
So we've allegedly signed Vorm. He told the dutch press APPAZ

Yeah seems like the Vorm/Davies/Sigurdsson deal is about to be confirmed officially (Vorm talking to press, Davies at training, Sigurdsson shown at Swansea for medical), a total outlay of 2.5m for us...I'll take that, Sigurdsson is probably underpriced at the same value as Davies but he doesn't suit our system (only really does the business in the hole behind a striker and we don't play that way), and we desperately needed a left back and a backup goalkeeper so it works out well for both teams.

Grimario
July 23rd, 2014, 6:47 AM
Robert Koren has just signed with the Man City owner funded Melbourne City to join David Villa (on loan) and Damien Duff.

Darkoke
July 23rd, 2014, 8:29 AM
Re: Bojan, read this in the Guardian a month or so ago and thought it was interesting - "Where did it all go wrong for wonderkid Bojan Krkic?" http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/02/bojan-krkic-barcelona-ajax-milan-roma-whatever-happened

Peter Griffin
July 23rd, 2014, 9:43 AM
He was the new Messi about six new Messis ago.

regardless, the guy has played over 100 times for Barca and has then gone on to Roma, Milan, Ajax and now fucking Stoke City.

Grimario
July 23rd, 2014, 9:51 AM
regardless, the guy has played over 100 times for Barca and has then gone on to Roma, Milan, Ajax and now fucking Stoke City.

He started what... 30? 40? 1 goal every 4 games, not exactly world beating for a striker and when you consider that almost half of them came in his first season when he exploded onto the scene...

Then Roma. Started less than half of his games there. Almost down to 1 in 5 goals.
Milan, started around a quarter of games. 1 goal in 6.
Ajax, down another level compared to Serie A and starting more games... but just as unproductive. 1 in 6 again.

I don't think it's really that surprising. Wouldn't be surprised if in 2-3 years he ends up as a Designated Player in the MLS or marquee in Australia.

Peter Griffin
July 23rd, 2014, 9:52 AM
I guess you are right, but still STOKE FUCKING CITY :panic:

Grimario
July 23rd, 2014, 9:53 AM
I guess you are right, but still STOKE FUCKING CITY :panic:

Be thankful. He might be at Derby next year :yes:

Peter Griffin
July 23rd, 2014, 9:57 AM
I doubt it, if his career declines at its current rate, he will be in the championship next season, and we are clearly going up :yes:

Simon
July 25th, 2014, 5:34 AM
Davide Astori who United were chasing has gone to Roma. Also Serge Aurier has gone to PSG, quite a few teams were after him. In turn Jallet has gone from PSG to Lyon.

Romford Pele
July 25th, 2014, 5:36 AM
Just how are PSG getting around FFP?!

Ringo
July 25th, 2014, 5:42 AM
They're not are they? They got in trouble at the same time as City and proceeded to spunk 40-50m on David Luiz a matter of weeks later. Read they'll have to close two stands in their stadium for their next european game and have (unsuccessfully?) appealed.

Torn
July 25th, 2014, 5:43 AM
Yeah they've been punished already. And from BBC about the Aurier deal:

Ivory Coast international Serge Aurier has joined French champions Paris St-Germain on loan from Toulouse.
With sanctions looming over PSG after they failed Uefa's financial fair play (FFP) rules, (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27198306) the club has negotiated an option to buy Aurier at a later date.

Romford Pele
July 25th, 2014, 5:59 AM
Oh, I didn't realise he signed on loan.

Still very lenient punishment, they shoulnt be allowed to sign anyone on loan or buying once they have breached. UEFA being weak/corrupt again

Ringo
July 25th, 2014, 6:01 AM
Swansea have signed Jefferson Montero. He looked pretty handy in Ecuador's first game at the World Cup if I remember correctly. And Pozuelo, who I remember getting some praise last season, has left for Rayo Vallecano.

son_of_foley
July 25th, 2014, 6:02 AM

Still very lenient punishment, they shoulnt be allowed to sign anyone on loan or buying once they have breached. UEFA being weak/corrupt again

It's not that lenient. It's their first strike. Their squad for the CL has been reduced amongst other things and a monster fine. Where you have spotted corruption here god alone knows?

Simon
July 25th, 2014, 6:04 AM
Swansea have signed Jefferson Montero. He looked pretty handy in Ecuador's first game at the World Cup if I remember correctly. And Pozuelo, who I remember getting some praise last season, has left for Rayo Vallecano.
I'm really surprised Pozuelo has gone, especially for such a low fee (under 2m apparently?), thought he looked a real technician when I saw him last year.

Ringo
July 25th, 2014, 6:04 AM
The punishments can get more and more severe the more a team violates it.

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/resources/9%20sanctions.jpg.opt880x498o0%2C0s880x498.jpg

son_of_foley
July 25th, 2014, 6:06 AM
If UEFA went absolute balls to wall on this for the first offense, I think the CAS would be more likely to get involved.

Beefy
July 25th, 2014, 6:42 AM

Of course they should. What right does UEFA have to tell a Private company how to spend its money? It is outrageous. UEFA are very lucky they've not been taken to Court on this yet but it is only a matter of time if they keep pushing.

Simon
July 25th, 2014, 7:01 AM
Of course they should. What right does UEFA have to tell a Private company how to spend its money? It is outrageous. UEFA are very lucky they've not been taken to Court on this yet but it is only a matter of time if they keep pushing.
They can't tell them what to do with their money. They can presumably withdraw PSG's membership from their organisation if they don't comply with their rules though.

RFF Champ
July 25th, 2014, 7:11 AM
I'm really surprised Pozuelo has gone, especially for such a low fee (under 2m apparently?), thought he looked a real technician when I saw him last year.

That's all they signed him for wasn't it? Think he looked good in Europe but plays schoolboy football trying to dribble it all the way himself rather than pass. That could have been coached out of him though and he'd probably be more useful than Emnes.

Beefy
July 25th, 2014, 7:32 AM
They can't tell them what to do with their money. They can presumably withdraw PSG's membership from their organisation if they don't comply with their rules though.

No way it stacks up in Court.

Simon
July 25th, 2014, 7:40 AM
No way it stacks up in Court.

Would it need to? Are UEFA legally obliged to retain member clubs? Those are not rhetorical questions, I don't know the answers. I don't see how they could be obliged to keep a club that broke rules, regardless of whether those rules are applicable in law, in which case they can just say accept our rules or fuck off.

The bigger issue is whether or not they would actually do this with regard to a top club, or more specifically the fact that they definitely wouldn't - Malaga broke the rules and got binned, City and PSG broke them and got respectfully asked to try a bit harder. I know Malaga's issue was slightly different but there's no way UEFA would bin off a money-maker like City or PSG, far easier to do it with a small and potless club like Malaga.

I'm sure UEFA are perfectly happy to keep on putting their hands in PSG/City's pockets with record fines that mean nothing to the owners, allow them to stay in the competition and everyone who they give a shit about is kept happy.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 25th, 2014, 7:47 AM
Football competitions have always had financial rules in place to compete, to an extent. It's not telling companies how to spend their money, since sport is recognised as being different from "business" anyway. The problem for UEFA is that they are probably shit-scared of the various UAE members pulling their money out of teams and sponsorship.

Romford Pele
July 25th, 2014, 7:56 AM
It's not that lenient. It's their first strike. Their squad for the CL has been reduced amongst other things and a monster fine. Where you have spotted corruption here god alone knows?

But they are clearly bending the rules by signing players on loan.

Romford Pele
July 25th, 2014, 7:58 AM

As many have said, they arent telling them how to spend their money. However, they do have the right to refuse them entry to their competitions (ie - Champions league) should a club not their rules of entry.

Beefy
July 25th, 2014, 8:46 AM
They don't have the right.

They know they don't have the right either which is why they made all clubs sign an agreement not to take UEFA to court over this a couple of years (an agreement itself which wouldn't stand up in Court).

UEFA thinks it is above the law. It isn't. You'd have thought that Bosman would have taught them that. If any Club challenged FFP legally they'd win. It would be a long, expensive and painful win, but it would be a win.

son_of_foley
July 25th, 2014, 8:58 AM
So what laws are they breaking Beefy?

Beefy
July 25th, 2014, 9:17 AM
PSG and Manchester City are privately owned companies whose owners are putting their own money into their own business and then capitalising it.

In any other sector other than football that activity would be encouraged. In football's perverse logic it needs to be clamped down upon and yet leveraged buy-outs like that at Manchester United are fine despite United being saddled with debts resulting in tens of millions of pounds having to be paid out of the Club in interest repayments every year. Of course Manchester United are part of the existing establishment whose interests FFP is designed to protect.

FFP locks clubs into a set position in the footballing hierarchy and makes it impossible for them to climb above that level in the long term. As such the principle behind it is contrary to competition law. Any company owner is entitled to put whatever money they want to into that company.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 25th, 2014, 9:24 AM
They don't have the right.

They know they don't have the right either which is why they made all clubs sign an agreement not to take UEFA to court over this a couple of years (an agreement itself which wouldn't stand up in Court).

UEFA thinks it is above the law. It isn't. You'd have thought that Bosman would have taught them that. If any Club challenged FFP legally they'd win. It would be a long, expensive and painful win, but it would be a win.

They do have the right, just as they have the right to tell Manchester United they can't compete in the Champion's League if they don't finish in the top 4. Whether they have the balls to tell a big club that they can't compete because they've broken rules on financial fair play is a different matter, quite obviously they don't but there's no law that says a football club has to be allowed to compete in European football. Further, domestic leagues have been setting financial rules on clubs for years. Italy and France, to name two, have relegated clubs in the past for failing to meet financial targets. There's no more argument for saying they cannot put financial qualification targets on clubs than for sporting ones. Also, as I said, the EU recognises sport is different from business.

The Bosman ruling is a different thing entirely because it concerned staff vs. employer and the ability of the club to control the player's right to work i.e. they could retain a player's registration even after his contract expired.

Romford Pele
July 25th, 2014, 9:30 AM
There is even a precedent

Remember that ALL English clubs were banned from Europe for 5 years from 1985-1990.

Football has changed, but ultimately UEFA can do this. Beefy, FPP is not about 'keeping the established order'. It is encouraging clubs to invest in infrastructure, develop young players and live within their means.

If a club is managed well then there is no reason they cannot move up the ranks. Look at Arsenal, they had a plan by moving stadiums, keeping funds tight for 5+ years and then once they could renew sponsership deals, do it on better terms.

Spurs are another example, they are further behind than us but they are doing it the right way (expanding the stadium etc). No-one can seriously defend what the like of PSG, City and Chelsea (until recently) have been doing.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 25th, 2014, 9:41 AM
PSG and Manchester City are privately owned companies whose owners are putting their own money into their own business and then capitalising it.

In any other sector other than football that activity would be encouraged. In football's perverse logic it needs to be clamped down upon and yet leveraged buy-outs like that at Manchester United are fine despite United being saddled with debts resulting in tens of millions of pounds having to be paid out of the Club in interest repayments every year. Of course Manchester United are part of the existing establishment whose interests FFP is designed to protect.

FFP locks clubs into a set position in the footballing hierarchy and makes it impossible for them to climb above that level in the long term. As such the principle behind it is contrary to competition law. Any company owner is entitled to put whatever money they want to into that company.

I don't think it has been designed to do that, but you never know with UEFA. There has to be a certain amount of oversight in football club investment. Malaga were brought up as an example of a team excluded from Europe for not paying transfer fees and they are a good example: supposedly rich Sheikh invests a lot of money in the team then just disappears, leaving a club saddled with players they can't afford to pay based on their turnover. We all know that the Glazers could sell Manchester United tomorrow and it would survive because they can service their debts through the club's own income, the same clearly cannot be said of Man City or PSG, who are both operating well beyond their means.

Simon
July 25th, 2014, 9:58 AM
I mentioned this in the media thread the other day but David Conn's book Searching for the Soul of Football examines in great depth the problems with that kind of ownership - one of the main ones being that the rich owner generally buys the club outright, but then funds transfers etc using interest-free loans. Which is fine if the owner is in it for the long haul, but if either through lack of enthusiasm or lack of money he withdraws his funding, the club is still liable to pay all that money back, so all the risk is with the club - and as a football creditor, in the event of administration the have to be paid in full where non-football creditors - this can be anything from the tea lady to, notoriously, St. John's Ambulance who are left in the lurch to the tune of something like 60k a year if a club goes under because the club only have to pay a maximum of 10p in the pound of any debts owed to non-football creditors, despite the importance of their job.

In theory this rule is laudible as it's in the spirit of fair competition - it prevents clubs from bringing in players they can't afford, not paying them and then just releasing them on 10% of their wages when the authorities step in. But in practise obviously it sticks in the craw that if United go under their multi-millionaire players are guaranteed to be pain in full whereas the local bloke that fixes the photocopiers will only get 10% of what he's owed.

Beefy you didn't answer my question - yes you are correct that UEFA cannot force a privately owned company to comply with their rules by law. But as far as I'm aware they ARE allowed to simply withdraw membership for any reason they see fit, one of which can be refusal to abide by the sporting rules they implement. And as ECG has mentioned, sport is treated differently to other business anyway, I believe this is written in law although I forget the precise details. Massively recommend that book to anyone interested in this sort of thing, it's not as dry as you'd think and throws up plenty of mad stories about the insane way football works financially.

Beefy
July 25th, 2014, 11:02 AM
There is even a precedent

Remember that ALL English clubs were banned from Europe for 5 years from 1985-1990.

Football has changed, but ultimately UEFA can do this. Beefy, FPP is not about 'keeping the established order'. It is encouraging clubs to invest in infrastructure, develop young players and live within their means.

If a club is managed well then there is no reason they cannot move up the ranks. Look at Arsenal, they had a plan by moving stadiums, keeping funds tight for 5+ years and then once they could renew sponsership deals, do it on better terms.

Spurs are another example, they are further behind than us but they are doing it the right way (expanding the stadium etc). No-one can seriously defend what the like of PSG, City and Chelsea (until recently) have been doing.

You are completely wrong. I'd like to find a way to sugar coat it but you're just wrong.

FFP is designed to protect the interests of the elite clubs, as was increasing the Champions League qualifications and parachuting teams into the Europa League after they crashed out of the CL.

If it wasn't then they'd concentrate on things which are actually harming the game such as clubs being saddled with huge debts. The idea that clubs spending money that they can afford is what needs to be stopped and not clubs spending money that they can't afford only makes sense if this project was never about safeguarding finances in football.

Beefy
July 25th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I don't think it has been designed to do that, but you never know with UEFA. There has to be a certain amount of oversight in football club investment. Malaga were brought up as an example of a team excluded from Europe for not paying transfer fees and they are a good example: supposedly rich Sheikh invests a lot of money in the team then just disappears, leaving a club saddled with players they can't afford to pay based on their turnover. We all know that the Glazers could sell Manchester United tomorrow and it would survive because they can service their debts through the club's own income, the same clearly cannot be said of Man City or PSG, who are both operating well beyond their means.

That is a fair point but there are ways to resolve that issue which also allow football clubs to challenge the elite clubs for silverwear, such as ensuring that a year's worth of wages are ring-fenced in a protected account at all times.

UEFA spent years engineering a situation whereby a small cartel of clubs could dominate all of the domestic leagues through earning revenues that no other clubs could match. They created a situation where the only way to win a big league was to spend hundreds of millions of Pounds/Euros and without Champions League money that was never going to happen. Then a handful of clubs find a way to break through and suddenly here we are with Financial Fair Play.

Beefy
July 25th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I mentioned this in the media thread the other day but David Conn's book Searching for the Soul of Football examines in great depth the problems with that kind of ownership - one of the main ones being that the rich owner generally buys the club outright, but then funds transfers etc using interest-free loans. Which is fine if the owner is in it for the long haul, but if either through lack of enthusiasm or lack of money he withdraws his funding, the club is still liable to pay all that money back, so all the risk is with the club - and as a football creditor, in the event of administration the have to be paid in full where non-football creditors - this can be anything from the tea lady to, notoriously, St. John's Ambulance who are left in the lurch to the tune of something like 60k a year if a club goes under because the club only have to pay a maximum of 10p in the pound of any debts owed to non-football creditors, despite the importance of their job.

That's what happened at Portsmouth and Leeds.

I don't know enough about PSG but at City all loans end up calitalised. That's what happened at Chelsea as well.

Ringo
July 25th, 2014, 1:32 PM
Not quite sure what to make of Drogba's return. I really liked the story of his last touch for us winning the Champions League. Sounds as though he'll be moving towards coaching and playing a bit - he'll probably offer more off the pitch than on. Also hoping he'll be our fourth striker to use in emergencies and that this does not mean Lukaku is going.

That said, seeing him holding up the shirt on the official site makes me smile so much that I don't really care about any of that.

Bad Collin
July 25th, 2014, 1:34 PM
Lovren fee agreed. I'm really hoping he can strike up a good partnership with Sahko or Agger.

son_of_foley
July 25th, 2014, 1:35 PM
Agger is overrated

Ringo
July 25th, 2014, 1:37 PM
Also, sounds like Sunderland are signing Patrick van Aanholt off us. He's done very well at Vitesse, almost forcing himself into the Dutch squad for the World Cup but I guess Mourinho (and other managers before him) just don't consider him strong enough defensively to play for us. Keen to see how he gets on in the Prem though.

Bad Collin
July 25th, 2014, 1:41 PM
Agger is overrated

So is Sahko and Skrtel so Lovren better perform.

It was interesting to see Coates play well the other night, I thought his ship had sailed.

son_of_foley
July 25th, 2014, 1:43 PM
Sakho is underrated

son_of_foley
July 25th, 2014, 1:44 PM
I might just do one line appraisals of all footballers now

son_of_foley
July 25th, 2014, 1:45 PM
Not quite sure what to make of Drogba's return. I really liked the story of his last touch for us winning the Champions League. Sounds as though he'll be moving towards coaching and playing a bit - he'll probably offer more off the pitch than on. Also hoping he'll be our fourth striker to use in emergencies and that this does not mean Lukaku is going.

That said, seeing him holding up the shirt on the official site makes me smile so much that I don't really care about any of that.

They should let him play against Senderos. That was always funny

Andy
July 25th, 2014, 2:16 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_8mt1t7hmtw/UZVTz7Q_QuI/AAAAAAAAL1g/kMEEBiDebcg/s1600/Philippe-Senderos.gif

Mik
July 25th, 2014, 3:05 PM
Also, sounds like Sunderland are signing Patrick van Aanholt off us. He's done very well at Vitesse, almost forcing himself into the Dutch squad for the World Cup but I guess Mourinho (and other managers before him) just don't consider him strong enough defensively to play for us. Keen to see how he gets on in the Prem though.

Any idea of what he is like?

Rip
July 25th, 2014, 3:11 PM

We had him on loan a couple of years ago and he looked like he would be good when he got a bit older, we were told they didn't want to sell at the time.

Mik
July 25th, 2014, 3:13 PM
Looks like we're getting him instead of Alonso, who was statistically the best left back in the league last season. So even good news brings bad news at the moment.

Ringo
July 25th, 2014, 3:54 PM

He's always been a handful going forward, gets into good advanced areas and scores a bit too (5 for Vitesse last season). At Vitesse he had started to really get to grips with the defensive side of his game but apparently towards the end of this season that wasn't really the case...

Here's what someone who watches our loan and youth players closely said in his season review:

Van Aanholt himself went from strength to strength in those months, rampaging his way through teams from left back and weighing in with a few goals whilst finally making his full international debut in the same week as he became a father for the first time. Both he and Piazon scored away to Bosz’s former club in the final game of the first half of the season to secure a 2-2 draw that earned the Arnhem outfit a share of the ‘winter champions’ title.

Van Aanholt’s game still lacks something defensively and in a struggling team (and with an out-of-sorts Piazon ahead of him on the pitch) his flaws are more easily exposed, and whilst Atsu and Traore had more plusses than minuses, they couldn’t compensate for the inconsistencies elsewhere, especially at the back.

Patrick van Aanholt enjoyed a strong eighteen months at Vitesse prior to this season and continued that momentum into the first half of this campaign; scoring five goals in all competitions before Christmas and finally earning a maiden international cap for the Netherlands in November, albeit only for a minute of action. However, since then his form has tailed off and he lost his left-back job at Vitesse to Rochdi Achenteh for a month before winning it back against the wishes of many supporters.

and a tweet:

Good luck to Patrick van Aanholt as he departs Chelsea. A good player still with plenty of promise, expect him to have a good season.

_me
July 25th, 2014, 4:03 PM
20M for Lovren seems like a lot but all defenders have been pricey this summer. I supposed if he is a fixture for the next 6-8 years he is worth every penny.

Andy
July 25th, 2014, 7:38 PM
BBC are reporting we have almost signed Callum Chambers from Southampton and have also enquired about Schneiderlin. Also that Spurs have enquired about Rodriguez.

Have to feel for Southampton, potentially losing Lambert, Rodriguez, Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Chambers and Schneiderlin in one window.

Bad Collin
July 26th, 2014, 5:50 AM
16m for Chambers! They must really rate him.

Ringo
July 26th, 2014, 6:13 AM
Yeah, fucking hell. That'd be not far off 100m for five of those players plus whatever Schneiderlin and Rodriguez went for. They've spent about 18m apparently but it'll be interesting to see how much of the rest they use.

Bluemoon
July 26th, 2014, 7:30 AM
So is Sahko and Skrtel so Lovren better perform.

It was interesting to see Coates play well the other night, I thought his ship had sailed.

Sahko is not I don't think, he's a better defender all round, and passer than Skrtel. I'd say he's on par with Agger but will get better than him.

Bluemoon
July 26th, 2014, 7:32 AM
Lovren fee agreed. I'm really hoping he can strike up a good partnership with Sahko or Agger.

Isn't Lovren left footed too?

Bad Collin
July 26th, 2014, 7:32 AM
But he often has really bad off days. He has all the tools to be incredible but needs consistency. On paper Sahko and Lovren should be a beastly partnership and with Can around (if he can stay fit) our defence looks much better.

Bad Collin
July 26th, 2014, 7:33 AM
Isn't Lovren left footed too?

Is he? I assumed he was right footed because why the fuck would we buy another left footed CB?

Just checked a Youtube vid, he's right footed.

Bluemoon
July 26th, 2014, 7:37 AM
That's what I was thinking, must be getting him mixed up with the other Southampton centre back.

Bluemoon
July 26th, 2014, 7:41 AM
But he often has really bad off days. He has all the tools to be incredible but needs consistency. On paper Sahko and Lovren should be a beastly partnership and with Can around (if he can stay fit) our defence looks much better.

Like it's been documented about your CB's you need someone to step up and be a leader. I remember we was in the same situation until we moved Kompany to defence.

Bad Collin
July 26th, 2014, 7:43 AM
Mignolet needs to be more authoritative too.

McBain
July 26th, 2014, 8:05 AM
Summers just get more depressing down the Villa.

I wish he'd fucking sell up already.

Bad Collin
July 26th, 2014, 8:40 AM
Lucky for you that there are some shit teams in the PL this season. Sunderland look weaker, Southampton have sold most of their team and Leicester and Burnley will probably go straight back down.

Ringo
July 27th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Liverpool have pulled out of the Remy deal apparently. Wonder what that's all about. 8.5m for him looked an absolute steal.

MMH
July 27th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Failed medical. Hes got a heart problem so tends to fail medicals anyway. The deal will still go through I reckon.

Ringo
July 27th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Ah, I see :yes:

RFF Champ
July 27th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I think Kanu had the same condition. 4th time he's failed a medical in his career.

Bad Collin
July 27th, 2014, 12:00 PM
The BBC are sure we have pulled out.

Gary J
July 27th, 2014, 2:35 PM
Probably pulled out when they realised Remy wasn't a Southampton player.

RFF Champ
July 27th, 2014, 2:48 PM
If they go in for Jay Rodriguez there's going to be a full scale meltdown amongst Liverpool fans.

Ringo
July 27th, 2014, 7:14 PM
A highly rated international keeper like Ospina going to Arsenal to presumably sit on the bench will be a shame but it seems like that's been a bit of a trend this summer. The top clubs want a back up goalkeeper who could genuinely compete for the number one spot. Both Cech and Courtois apparently staying at Chelsea, Mignolet & Reina at Liverpool, Caballero joining City, Vorm joining Spurs. Then there's Bravo and Navas who also did well in the world cup going to Barca and Real to probably do the same...

Simon
July 28th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Griezmann has gone to Atletico, 26m apparently. Not convinced he's worth that much tbh, we were linked with him but at that price I'm happy enough to have missed out.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 28th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Are there better players available for that sort of money? Good signing for Atletico I think, quality young replacement for David Villa.

Simon
July 28th, 2014, 10:16 AM
He may be better than I realise, I've only seen a couple of Sociedad games and he didn't stand out massively even though I was watching specifically for him, didn't think he was great in the World Cup either. I would say there are better choices available, or at least (going back to the point that has been mashed into the ground recently) players who might seem overpriced but are unlikely to be the same risk. I hesitate to name Jay Rodriguez as his injury might make him a risk, but even though he is not the same class of player, he would be much cheaper and has already shown he can do it in the league.

Having said that, this summer seems to be another of those that comes every few years (possibly in line with new TV deals?) where we enter a new era where prices suddenly go crazy high - Shaw going for 30m, Chambers going for 16m, us and Liverpool quoted 27m for Schneiderlin, James Rodriguez going for 70m+, Roma demanding near 80m for an injured Strootman (probably a negotiating tactic but still)...so maybe 26m won't seem so much in a year's time when we're used to such high figures.

Mad to think that Roy Keane breaking the 100k barrier for United as the world's best midfielder was seen as a new dawn in wages, Shaw is on that now at 19.

MMH
July 28th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Yeah 26m really doesnt seem to be that much money these days.

_me
July 28th, 2014, 10:36 AM
anyone know how is TV money distributed? does every team get the same amount or is that dependent on league table too?

El Capitano Gatisto
July 28th, 2014, 10:37 AM
What games did you watch him in for Sociedad exactly? He's been superb for them the past two seasons. I also thought France looked a much better team when he was on because of the width and pace he gave them. Unfortunately he wasn't really used enough. I think he's a better option than Ribery for France at the moment if they look to use him more.

16 league goals last season from the wing according to Wikipedia, aged 23. 26 million, in comparison to other deals this summer, seems about right given his age, ability and what he has produced in terms of performances and goals.

Simon
July 28th, 2014, 10:39 AM
What games did you watch him in for Sociedad exactly? He's been superb for them the past two seasons. I also thought France looked a much better team when he was on because of the width and pace he gave them. Unfortunately he wasn't really used enough. I think he's a better option than Ribery for France at the moment if they look to use him more.
Fuck knows, I don't think any of them were against Barca or Madrid though so the list of games it could have been in must have been small seeing as Sky's coverage of games outside of those two is limited to a few games a year. The only time I was mpressed with him during the World Cup was the Nigeria game when I think he came on and gave them something different.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 28th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Atletico have done pretty well in replacing Villa and Costa with Griezmann and Mandzukic. Mandzukic is highly unlikely to get as many goals but he will offer a similar work rate and probably better ability on the ball, Griezmann will offer genuine pace. Courtois is a huge loss however. Filipe Luis I think isn't that great a full-back and is a player Simeone had playing at his maximum, I think Chelsea may have been fleeced a bit there despite Mourinho talking about Shaw being too expensive.

Simon
July 28th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Mourinho's comments about Shaw made sense in that he was talking about his wages in the context of the rest of the side, asking how he can give a 19-year old with two years' professional football 100k a week without agreeing to give the same or more to the players who have been there for years...we had a similar problem when we were trying to keep Bale - we could have afforded to pay him wages way in excess of what anyone else was getting, but then the rest of the club would have the hump.

All the journos seem to think Atletico will still go for Torres, which seems weird seeing as they've signed Mandzukic and this young Argentinian kid Correa who is supposed to be the biscuits.

Ringo
July 28th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I liked the idea of signing Shaw and potentially being sorted at left back for the next 10-15 years where as Luis will only give us maybe 5. But he does look like the finished article and for half the transfer fee and apparently a lot less per week. Perhaps more of a Mourinho player too.

I'd love it if we could offload Torres for a fee but I can't see it. I do understand why Atletico might be looking for another striker though. This Correa chap is rather short apparently and they also sold Adrian Lopez so they probably want someone to replace him.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 28th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Atletico's supporters want Torres back, I'm not sure the club necessarily does. He would be an enormous waste of money as he is effectively semi-retired and has been for going on 2 years now.

Ringo
July 28th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I think we'd accepted there was little chance of getting rid of him now given his wages and that he'll stay until his contract expires in 2016. Some paper reckoned Atletico were willing to pay about 10m but we were holding out for more which I'm certainly hoping is bollocks because I'd bite their hand off if they offered that.

Costa looked good in his debut yesterday (yes against a mid-table Slovenian side but shut up) but I'm not sure about our alternatives. Looking more and more like we'll let Lukaku go if the right offer comes in. That'll leave Torres and a 36 year old Drogba. I'm also not sure about Kurt Zouma who is going to be our third or fourth choice centre back (because Ivanovic might play there more now). Looks a beast in the air but also lumbering, clumsy and I think a bit mental.

Fabregas looked magnificent by the way. Spraying perfect passes all over the place - something we haven't had in a long time.

Gary J
July 28th, 2014, 11:17 AM
I thought they cancelled the Correa transfer because he needed heart surgery?

Ringo
July 28th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Still went through apparently. Just out for 6 months.

Also not sure if posted but Chambers to Arsenal official. Is Jenkinson going to leave now?

RFF Champ
July 28th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Atletico's supporters want Torres back, I'm not sure the club necessarily does. He would be an enormous waste of money as he is effectively semi-retired and has been for going on 2 years now.

He's still shown his talent in patches. He was far and away the best player on the pitch at home to City last season. Scored the winner and put the other on a plate for Schurrle.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 28th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Doesn't really mean anything does it? He's done. One good game here and there is no good to anyone.

Romford Pele
July 28th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Still went through apparently. Just out for 6 months.

Also not sure if posted but Chambers to Arsenal official. Is Jenkinson going to leave now?

I would have thought so, on loan at least. Would be a shame to lose him, a proper Arsenal fan who has improved a lot in the 3 years we have had him.

It's still July and we have signed 4 first team players - must be first summer since 2001 where we have really gone for it transfer wise.

If and it's a big if, we sign Khedira, then I might have to revise my 3rd place Arsenal prediction. First time in years it has felt we might challenge properly.

BBF
July 28th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Jenkinson to Hull, no?

Romford Pele
July 28th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Or West Ham. They are after him as well.

Certainly be a solid signing for a mid table side

El Capitano Gatisto
July 28th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I don't think they will do any better this season based on the current squad, to be honest, because it's still far too concentrated in the attacking midfield area. Sanchez is a brilliant player but he's going to be operating in the same areas as Ozil. The defensive midfield is still a problem (I don't think Khedira would be the solution), the central defence is still soft, the full-back positions are probably weaker given only Debuchy has come in for Sagna and Chambers is one for the future and the central defence retains all the same weaknesses. I don't see any reason why teams like Chelsea and Man City couldn't just go out and steamroller Arsenal's side again this season, they have an incredibly soft underbelly.

Romford Pele
July 28th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Sanchez will be much further forward than Ozil and will make a difference in the big games by stretching defences.

On the defence, Debuchy looks decent and I maintain that Gibbs is underrated. The reason the defence was exposed so badly was because of a lack of holding player. Khedira has played that role and would make a difference.

Look at our squad summer 2011, wasters like Denilson, Bendtner, Chammakh, Park, Santos and Arshavin. Our squad now is light years ahead of that.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 28th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Have you ever watched Sanchez play? What would make you think he'll "stretch defences" given he really struggled with that role when Barca tried to use him as a striker? His best work has always been done from wide or coming deep to run at defenders and he only really settled at Barcelona this season with Messi moved centrally. He is a pure dribbler and needs to be on the ball in front of defenders. In no way is he a player who looks to go in behind to finish moves and it would limit his effectiveness to expect him to do that. His greatest strength is that he can skin anyone and is almost impossible to get the ball off in a one-on-one situation. I think he's a great signing just because he's a superb player, but he's not a striker. He will get goals, but he'll also be playing in areas that Arsenal already have much of the quality in their squad.

Romford Pele
July 28th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Yeah I've seen him play plenty of times

He was inhibited playing with messi but I think Wenger will be using him like he did with Henry.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 28th, 2014, 12:35 PM
You think Wenger will play 4-4-2?

MMH
July 28th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Everton have finally completed the signing of Muhamed Besic.

Im made up with this signing, cheap (4M) and young. Looked good at the World Cup as he closed down well and sprung attacks quickly. Seems to have a bit of nastiness inside him too.

http://d25yla7xp697oa.cloudfront.net/assets/_files/cached/jul_14/590x330/efc__1406198693_besic-ff.jpg

Romford Pele
July 28th, 2014, 12:50 PM
You think Wenger will play 4-4-2?

No 4-3-3. But I think he will put him in for Giroud up top on some of the bigger games

El Capitano Gatisto
July 28th, 2014, 1:05 PM
Then he won't be using Sanchez as he did Henry in that case. Henry was used in a 4-4-2. Henry was a striker, also, and Sanchez isn't. Juventus misused Henry as a winger and Wenger brought him back to his natural position. Sanchez was misused by Barcelona as a striker and he was pretty terrible at it.

BBF
July 28th, 2014, 1:11 PM
Schneiderlin and Rodriguez to Spurs is APPAZ a done deal now.

What the fuck.

Peter Griffin
July 28th, 2014, 1:14 PM
Agaasagda Southampton have as many players as Blackpool.

turdpower
July 28th, 2014, 1:21 PM
I swear Alf plays football manager like this.

RFF Champ
July 28th, 2014, 1:28 PM
Southampton need to unplug the phone.

RuneEdge
July 28th, 2014, 1:39 PM
Sanchez was misused by Barcelona as a striker and he was pretty terrible at it.
Barca used him as a right winger. Their best front trio were Neymar/Messi/Sanchez.
But yeah, Iike you said, that's where he needs to playing and not up front.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 28th, 2014, 1:42 PM
He was used as a striker in his first season and part of his second season and he was useless at it. That is why Barcelona were so disappointed in him and willing ultimately to let him go.

RuneEdge
July 28th, 2014, 1:49 PM
I admit I don't watch many Barca games but from what I saw, Neymar was the center forward they went with everytime Messi wasn't available. In which case Iniesta would go to the left flank, with Sanchez on the right, who was rotated with Pedro. Out of about 10 games I watched, Sanchez played once in the center.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 28th, 2014, 1:52 PM
I just said they used him as a striker in his first season and part of his second. You are still talking about last season, I'm not sure why. Sanchez played 3 seasons at Barcelona. Neymar was only there for one of them.

Have you ever watched Sanchez play? What would make you think he'll "stretch defences" given he really struggled with that role when Barca tried to use him as a striker? His best work has always been done from wide or coming deep to run at defenders and he only really settled at Barcelona this season with Messi moved centrally.

This past season is the only one where Sanchez has been considered to have generally played well for Barcelona. He's a quality player so he has got goals for them, but he really didn't fit into the side until this past year which did coincide with him being used as a right-winger rather than a striker.