PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

RFF Champ
July 23rd, 2013, 6:22 PM
Apparently the bid was increased by £1 so why not bid it in the first place? Either they didn't make a bid near it in the first place or it's bollocks, probably both.

turdpower
July 23rd, 2013, 6:41 PM
Is it common knowledge what is in players contracts then?

Surely Arsenal shouldn't know this.

Bad Collin
July 23rd, 2013, 7:16 PM
Take the £40 million! He'll probably murder someone next year.

RFF Champ
July 23rd, 2013, 7:29 PM
Is it common knowledge what is in players contracts then?

Surely Arsenal shouldn't know this.

I doubt Arsenal would bother bidding such big money without sounding out Suarez/representatives first. Probably came from there.

The Rosk
July 24th, 2013, 3:31 AM
If they're chucking 40m bids out there SURELY Arsenal are going to land someone food before the season starts... Right?

Torn
July 24th, 2013, 4:08 AM
I imagine £40m should be enough for a few trips to Tesco mate aye.

Bad Collin
July 24th, 2013, 4:22 AM
With that kind of money they could even go to Waitrose.

Andy
July 24th, 2013, 4:58 AM
@John_W_Henry: What do you think they're smoking over there at Emirates?

Amazing. Why are we so bad at transfers.

Bad Collin
July 24th, 2013, 5:03 AM
Why on earth did your director come out and say you have a big pot of money to spend? Madness.

Mik
July 24th, 2013, 5:46 AM
...because they don't intend to spend any of it.

Andy
July 24th, 2013, 7:23 AM
So Sky reckons Higuain is having his medical with Napoli. I just can't see us getting Suarez so we're going to get to be end of July having spent £0 and still needing a keeper, centre back, two midfielders and two strikers.

I seriously wouldn't be surprised to see us start the season with no new signings and panic buying on the last day again. Szcz, Sagna, Mert, Arteta, Wilshere, Podolski and Walcott have all publicly said they hope to see new signings soon. Telling.

Bad Collin
July 24th, 2013, 11:40 AM
So Suarez is going to talk to Arsenal but we are not going to sell unless they bid £50m+

This is a very strange contract clause indeed.

son_of_foley
July 24th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Think the same happened with a Swansea player Newcastle were interested in. He had a release fee but it turned out to be a point that Swansea had to consider it or similar. Strange

son_of_foley
July 24th, 2013, 12:06 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2013846/Neil-Taylors-Newcastle-limbo.html

God, I'm pretty good.

Darkoke
July 24th, 2013, 12:31 PM
QPR have had a bid accepted for Gary Hooper.

turdpower
July 24th, 2013, 12:53 PM
So Suarez is going to talk to Arsenal but we are not going to sell unless they bid £50m+

This is a very strange contract clause indeed.

I think the scenario is very common, that clubs agree deals with players before finalising a transfer figure.

I find it odd that nobody else is showing an interest in him.

Andy
July 24th, 2013, 1:11 PM
Haha, Higuain is going to make his Napoli debut in the Emirates Cup. God the atmosphere is going to be toxic.

Ringo
July 24th, 2013, 1:48 PM
Actual release clauses aren't generally enforceable in England are they? I'm sure that's what used to be said.

I know Demba Ba's famous release clause appears to have been genuine. Can't think of many others.

Simon
July 24th, 2013, 2:02 PM
Absolutely nobody is currently suggesting that we might be approaching confirmation of a deal for Soldado.

Andy
July 24th, 2013, 2:26 PM
Levy paying £25m+ for a 28 year old?

Simon
July 24th, 2013, 2:47 PM
Yeah seems weird to me too, I imagine there's an element of spending the inevitable Bale windfall ahead of time. We know there's £50m (minimum) coming when he eventually leaves, so we can afford to loosen the strings a little bit in search of Champions League football, knowing that if it works then these signings pay for themselves, and if it doesn't then we aren't going to be financially fucked because we'll have to give Bale his move at some point anyway. That's the only explanation I can think of for it. There's a rumour going around that our money man Joe Lewis has said we can spend a bit more but I don't know much about it.

It's completely out of sync with everything we know about Levy, but then there is no doubt that we're trying to sign him and that in itself is unusual - even if we were trying to do it on the relatively cheap and get him for under £20m, that's still a shift away from his usual style...at 28, he isn't going to have much resale value. It would be the first time in forever that we've spent big on a top player with little resale value...the most recent I can remember is Robbie Keane who cost £12m as a 29 year old, but even then that was an unusual situation as we'd sold him for almost double that six months earlier.

Mik
July 24th, 2013, 2:47 PM
He's planning on selling him for upwards of £100m.

Simon
July 24th, 2013, 2:54 PM
Na that's a bunch of pie chat, I reckon it will top £50m but can't imagine it would go much over £60m. I suppose it depends how well he does this season, but with no CL to boost his reputation even more I can't see how he'll be elevated to the level where he would legitimately be seen as worth breaking Ronaldo's £80m record for.

Mik
July 24th, 2013, 3:02 PM
He's going to sell him for £500m.

Bad Collin
July 24th, 2013, 4:38 PM
Arsenal really need to give us £55m for Luis. Missing out on Higuan is going to be a big deal otherwise.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 24th, 2013, 4:44 PM
I think the scenario is very common, that clubs agree deals with players before finalising a transfer figure.

I find it odd that nobody else is showing an interest in him.

Once Higuian is sold it seems to make sense that Real Madrid will slap a big bid in. Probably less then Arsenal are offering knowing Liverpool would prefer him to go abroad. It would be terrible work if Wenger didn't get Suarez now after letting Higuain slip by in preference for a seemingly impossible transfer.

turdpower
July 24th, 2013, 5:08 PM
I still don't get the Higuain thing either. Clearly a quality player, I can only assume he's been told by Real that Benzema is the man, because otherwise it's strange. It's also strange that none of the "elite" teams have gone in for him, I know the bigger clubs in Italy don't really have the cash, but you'd think Chelsea or City would go for him (although, like many, I suspect he's not Mourinho's biggest fan). I've just seen the fee Napoli have paid for him, so no wonder Arsenal didn't do it :lol:

I hope Real bid for Zlatan, for several reasons, but also because he'll become another great trivia answer to "both Milan teams and Barca/Real" like Ronaldo

Lagom
July 24th, 2013, 7:01 PM
I'd like Liverpool to sign him, as it would virtually guarantee us winning the League.

turdpower
July 24th, 2013, 7:13 PM
Zlatan would score 4 goals a season in your team.

Chris Scott
July 24th, 2013, 7:27 PM
Next 24 hours will be big. Would be madness selling to Arsenal. Absolute madness.

If he was fighting tooth and nail for Madrid I would stand behind him and respect his decision. In my opinion, although hes still a Liverpool player, for now, he has lost my respect as a person. He's a high earning footballer who is adored by his fans like no other player in the league (imo) yet when the going gets tough he wants out, happy to use us a stepping stone and wipe his shoe (expensive boot) on it as he walks over us.

Yes, fair enough. Hes a footballer from Uruguay and like anyone he's out to be the best and play for the best but enough's enough as far as this club and his attitude goes. For me he either goes abroad and gets us a good return. 50mil+. Or he stays and continues to repay some of the loyalty we've shown him. thanks for the memories all the same and good luck to him! (Still can't fully hate the little rat)

son_of_foley
July 25th, 2013, 3:40 AM
Rodgers did well by talking about loyalty today. Thought that was very well handled

Peter Griffin
July 25th, 2013, 4:02 AM
he has lost my respect as a person.

How could he ever of had your respect as a person?

Hlebsfall
July 25th, 2013, 4:19 AM
Rodgers did well by talking about loyalty today. Thought that was very well handled

What did he say? Did he talk about when he signed a new contract at Swansea, then left them 3 months later?

Peter Griffin
July 25th, 2013, 4:24 AM
What did he say? Did he talk about when he signed a new contract at Swansea, then left them 3 months later?

Boom, there goes the dynamite.

son_of_foley
July 25th, 2013, 4:40 AM

Oh I'm not saying he wasn't being hypocritical but he and the club have managed to handle the Suarez thing quite well.

They've managed to make it all about Suarez and his decision rather than there being any question about a lack of advancement at the club or a lack of ambition.

By talking about hoping Suarez shows some loyalty to the club if he goes the fans will push him away but they managed to do that without causing much in the way of bad blood currently.

Comparing it with the Rooney situation basically

son_of_foley
July 25th, 2013, 4:42 AM
I would think getting 50m or whatever for Suarez is ludicrously good business for Liverpool because I don't see how Arsenal or anyone else would ever come close to recouping that. I'm suprised the 40m hasn't been accepted personally and I rate him as a striker.

Simon
July 25th, 2013, 4:50 AM
It all sounds like a bit of a mess, supposedly Suarez was led to believe that his contract has the stipulation that if they didn't get CL and a bid of £40m was made he would be allowed to go, but that isn't legally binding. Isn't this sort of thing what agents and lawyers are for? Surely it's standard practice that Suarez would have had someone go through the contract before signing it to check that all the stipulations are legally enforceable?

son_of_foley
July 25th, 2013, 4:52 AM
I would think getting 50m or whatever for Suarez is ludicrously good business for Liverpool because I don't see how Arsenal or anyone else would ever come close to recouping that. I'm suprised the 40m hasn't been accepted personally and I rate him as a striker.
Shouldn't even have to add this caveat like but

As long as they don't buy
Charlie Adam
Stewart Downing
Jordan Henderson

They cost about 50m right?

Bad Collin
July 25th, 2013, 5:05 AM
Supposedly they did but we only lost about £2m on Adam and I think Henderson will be worth his fee.

I think if we can get £50m for him (preferably from abroad) and buy a mobile center back and a technically gifted strike who can finish then we will come out of this well.

Beefy
July 25th, 2013, 5:18 AM
£50m is mental money for a player who gets suspended for one in every four games. £40m is a very good price, IMO.

Andy
July 25th, 2013, 8:00 AM
The whole thing is a complete mess. We've put all our eggs in one racist basket and let Higuain fuck off to Napoli. I don't know how much we have to spend but a centre back and a centre mid are just as important as getting a striker in. We spend all these years being frugal and paying off the debt then suddenly we're bidding £40m+ for a player who is a potential liability, not to mention a PR disaster. It's just baffling.

Still don't think we'll get him though. If we got Suarez and only Suarez and Liverpool invested the £40m+ back into the squad I'd probably make them favourites to finish above us.

turdpower
July 25th, 2013, 8:44 AM
£50m is mental money for a player who gets suspended for one in every four games. £40m is a very good price, IMO.

He'll be fine in Spain.

Chris Scott
July 25th, 2013, 8:54 AM
How could he ever of had your respect as a person?

By scoring goals and being our best player for the past 2 years. I pay my money to watch him play football on the pitch so as a person that way I respected him.

Peter Griffin
July 25th, 2013, 9:02 AM
But that is respecting him as a player no? Which I think you have to really (well in terms of ability)

El Capitano Gatisto
July 25th, 2013, 1:09 PM
The whole thing is a complete mess. We've put all our eggs in one racist basket and let Higuain fuck off to Napoli. I don't know how much we have to spend but a centre back and a centre mid are just as important as getting a striker in. We spend all these years being frugal and paying off the debt then suddenly we're bidding £40m+ for a player who is a potential liability, not to mention a PR disaster. It's just baffling.

Still don't think we'll get him though. If we got Suarez and only Suarez and Liverpool invested the £40m+ back into the squad I'd probably make them favourites to finish above us.

He's not a liability. He was arguably the best player in the league last season and his attitude on the pitch is generally superb when it comes to what he brings to a team. Adding 30-40 odd goals to the team, taking into account his scoring and support play, would easily be worth the outlay by today's prices. It's just hard to see Liverpool letting it happen.

The racism thing is a red herring, it happened and it was handled badly all round but it's basically irrelevant, it won't happen again. The issue over his disciplinary record is something to consider but he wouldn't be the first great player to have an anger problem, far from it.

Andy
July 25th, 2013, 1:15 PM
I don't remember many other players being banned for 1/5 of the games he's been available for or more though. He might not racially abuse anyone again but he's bitten someone on the pitch twice and he's guilty of cheating a lot more than most too.

Don't get me wrong, he's a wonderful player, but this seems very risky. If we continue our perennial push for fourth next season it's possible if not likely he'll want to move again. Plus we still need to budget for a further three players at least if we're to do better than challenging for fourth.

Red Dog
July 25th, 2013, 1:20 PM
The racism thing is a red herring, it happened and it was handled badly all round but it's basically irrelevant, it won't happen again. .

Racism is basically irrelevant. That's a good one. I imagine Liverpool thought the biting wouldn't happen again when they bought him either.

Ringo
July 25th, 2013, 1:25 PM
Obviously Arsenal seem to think they can get him and by the sound of it Suarez is interested but I thought him going to Madrid would be pretty nailed on once Higuain went. I can't see Real letting one of their two main strikers go without replacing him. I mean yeah they've got Ronaldo and Morata has come into the squad but Real aren't ones to make do. Suarez looks like their only real option now, right?

turdpower
July 25th, 2013, 1:35 PM
ZLATAN.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 25th, 2013, 4:09 PM
I don't remember many other players being banned for 1/5 of the games he's been available for or more though. He might not racially abuse anyone again but he's bitten someone on the pitch twice and he's guilty of cheating a lot more than most too.

Don't get me wrong, he's a wonderful player, but this seems very risky. If we continue our perennial push for fourth next season it's possible if not likely he'll want to move again. Plus we still need to budget for a further three players at least if we're to do better than challenging for fourth.

1/5th for Liverpool, not over his whole career. Both bans were pretty excessive really so the worry is the FA will just smack him any time there's any bother. Eric Cantona probably spent quite a bit of his United career suspended with his various acts of violence and his big ban for attacking a fan so he may have come close to that 1/5th ratio.

The whole point of signing a talent like Suarez is the idea that his ability means Arsenal will challenge higher. If you're always worried about them looking to move on for success then why by any player better than the ones you already have? You'd only want players happy to be also-rans.

Simon
July 26th, 2013, 5:12 AM
Kevin Gameiro has signed for Sevilla, so hopefully this Soldado move is getting closer [EDIT: What the fuck I am talking about. Sevilla are not Valencia. Repeat, Sevilla are not Valencia].

AVB reckons we are in talks to get Bale to sign a new contract as well.

Marca are extending themselves with their pushing for the Bale move to Madrid.

"You made me a promise. You promised me if we didn't qualify for the Champions League and a good offer turned up you'd listen to it. Well that offer has arrived and I want to play for Real Madrid. So keep your word and negotiate". Daniel Levy, who is famed for being a hard business man, discovered the hard way that 24 year-old Gareth Bale doesn't beat about the bush. Accustomed as he is to tough meetings, the one Levy had with the player last Wednesday in London was a real eye opener.

Bale was just as direct in his approach to the Chairman as he is when he plays on the pitch of White Hart Lane. The Welsh forward left little room for doubt: "I'm not interested in Manchester United or any other club. I only want to play for Real Madrid." Bale is under contract at Spurs until 2016 but his agent, Jonathan Barnett, struck up a deal with Florentino Pérez and José Angel Sánchez in a meeting held in Madrid on 25th June. Should the deal be accepted, Bale will spend the next six seasons at the Santiago Bernabéu, where he stands to earn between €9 and 10 million.

The clock is ticking and although there has been no official response to Real Madrid's initial offer as yet, which amounts to just over €60 million, at Tottenham an air of resignation is seeping in as they are beginning to accept the inevitable. It is clear that where Bale would really rather be next week, rather than in Hong Kong, is in LA...and dressed in white.

:lol: I love that they've actually gone for direct quotes from Bale himself. It's so transparent as to be laughable.

son_of_foley
July 26th, 2013, 5:14 AM
Kevin Gameiro has signed for Sevilla, so hopefully this Soldado move is getting closer. AVB reckons we are in talks to get Bale to sign a new contract as well.

Am I missing something? Why does Sevilla signing a player make Valencia selling theirs closer? Or is this a convoluted chain?

I thought he would be their replacement for Negredo

Simon
July 26th, 2013, 5:18 AM
Yeah sorry for some reason I read and wrote down Sevilla, but had them as Valencia in my head. In any case, Valencia are actively looking for a Soldado replacement according to Graham Hunter.

Peter Griffin
July 26th, 2013, 5:43 AM
In semi related news, Barcelona are at home to Sevilla when im over there in September, 60 euros for the cheapest ticket though :nono:

Simon
July 26th, 2013, 5:44 AM
Probably the strongest ITK around at the moment with regard to Spurs...

On Bale contract- we're a lot further down the line with this than you may be aware. terms are agreed- fine details to be agreed on. HWBTPFS.

Soldado- Daniel in HK, but is now negotiating directly with Valencia- Andre top target- belief we can agree fee.

Dzeko- Nonsense- we havent bid.

POTL

son_of_foley
July 26th, 2013, 5:57 AM
Brayford going to Cardiff. Gutted tbh. Great fullback for us over the past 3 years. Really important link in our attacking play but won't begrudge him a chance to play in the premiership. Handles himself with a lot of class and fingers cross we will see him again one day.

Simon
July 26th, 2013, 6:31 AM
Chadli officially signed now.

Ringo
July 26th, 2013, 6:38 AM
Cardiff also apparently had a £9m bid accepted for Etienne Capoue. A player I've often seen suggested for us.

Simon
July 26th, 2013, 6:49 AM
Ex-FT journalist Sam Rhodes is saying on Twitter that we've agreed a deal for Soldado now. Scoop for him if true.

Peter Griffin
July 26th, 2013, 6:52 AM
Brayford going to Cardiff. Gutted tbh. Great fullback for us over the past 3 years. Really important link in our attacking play but won't begrudge him a chance to play in the premiership. Handles himself with a lot of class and fingers cross we will see him again one day.

Who do we get in as replacement? Nobody springs to mind.

son_of_foley
July 26th, 2013, 7:19 AM
There's talk of Flanagan on loan from Liverpool or Cyrus Christie from Coventry.

Don't know much about either tbh. Hoping some of the cash will be used on another CB as I do worry Barker will never be back.

son_of_foley
July 26th, 2013, 7:21 AM
For the record I would love that CB to be Ben Turner from Cardiff but don't see it happening

Peter Griffin
July 26th, 2013, 7:36 AM
I think Flanagan would be a decent loan signing, but I know nothing about Christie. As for a cb Ian Evatt is available I think as he is training with Blackburn, wouldnt mind him coming back.

Bad Collin
July 26th, 2013, 9:25 AM
Flanaghan is terrible at defending. He is quick and keen but he often makes very basic mistakes and his technique is iffy. I am surpised he hasn't been let go yet.

Chris Scott
July 26th, 2013, 9:34 AM
Good points about Flanagan BC but he's only young and will get rid of the silly mistakes.

This season though I'm looking forward to Kelly getting back in the team and Andre Wisdom playing more games.

Bad Collin
July 26th, 2013, 9:47 AM
hmm, nothing about Flanghan makes me think he will make it but I hope he proves me wrong.

It is a massive season for Kelly, he needs to perform well and most importantly stay fit. Wisdom looks to have the talent to be a first team player before long, there are rumours about him going to Fulham or Bolton on loan.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Sterling and Ibe upfront and hopefully Robinson at left back.

son_of_foley
July 26th, 2013, 10:06 AM
hmm, nothing about Flanghan makes me think he will make it but I hope he proves me wrong.

It is a massive season for Kelly, he needs to perform well and most importantly stay fit. Wisdom looks to have the talent to be a first team player before long, there are rumours about him going to Fulham or Bolton on loan.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Sterling and Ibe upfront and hopefully Robinson at left back.

Surprised I've not heard you guys talk about McLaughlin. Overtaken Flanagan I believe

Bad Collin
July 26th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I've never seen him play.

son_of_foley
July 26th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Mainly seen highlights from the next gen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgr4V0KzGEk

Simon
July 26th, 2013, 10:54 AM
appaz as soon as we have our striker in, Adebayor is off to Besiktas.

Chris Scott
July 26th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Surprised I've not heard you guys talk about McLaughlin. Overtaken Flanagan I believe

Don't worry mate I know a few fans raving about out Northen Ireland friend.

Chris Scott
July 26th, 2013, 11:40 AM

Yeah Sterling and Ibe have looked very good per season. Wisdom is a beast who just stares everyone to death, I bet all the young lads are shit scared of him.

Wisdom and Kelly are our future CB pairing I think. It's a matter of transition between that pair and Agger/Kolo or Agger/Skrtel. The emergence of Wisdom and Kelly's versatility will probably mean that Coates is a goner, even more so if/when Suarez leaves.

Simon
July 26th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Marca are extending themselves with their pushing for the Bale move to Madrid.

"You made me a promise. You promised me if we didn't qualify for the Champions League and a good offer turned up you'd listen to it. Well that offer has arrived and I want to play for Real Madrid. So keep your word and negotiate". Daniel Levy, who is famed for being a hard business man, discovered the hard way that 24 year-old Gareth Bale doesn't beat about the bush. Accustomed as he is to tough meetings, the one Levy had with the player last Wednesday in London was a real eye opener.

Bale was just as direct in his approach to the Chairman as he is when he plays on the pitch of White Hart Lane. The Welsh forward left little room for doubt: "I'm not interested in Manchester United or any other club. I only want to play for Real Madrid." Bale is under contract at Spurs until 2016 but his agent, Jonathan Barnett, struck up a deal with Florentino Pérez and José Angel Sánchez in a meeting held in Madrid on 25th June. Should the deal be accepted, Bale will spend the next six seasons at the Santiago Bernabéu, where he stands to earn between €9 and 10 million.

The clock is ticking and although there has been no official response to Real Madrid's initial offer as yet, which amounts to just over €60 million, at Tottenham an air of resignation is seeping in as they are beginning to accept the inevitable. It is clear that where Bale would really rather be next week, rather than in Hong Kong, is in LA...and dressed in white."

:lol: I love that they've actually gone for direct quotes from Bale himself. It's so transparent as to be laughable.

So following on from this post earlier, someone has unearthed this article from Madrid's chase of Modric...

Luca Modric has accused Tottenham of breaking a promise to let him join Real Madrid, according to reports from Spain. Marca, which has close ties to Madrid, claim that Modric was told by Spurs chairman Daniel Levy that he could leave White Hart Lane if the club failed to qualify for the Champions League and a significant bid came in.

Madrid are believed to have made an opening bid of £25 million for Modric with Tottenham yet to respond. Chelsea are also said to be in the hunt for the Croat but Modric is said to have his heart set on the Spanish capital.

Marca report that Modric met Levy for showdown talks last Wednesday in London, telling him: "You made me a promise. You promised me if we didn't qualify for the Champions League and a good offer turned up you'd listen to it. Well that offer has arrived and I want to play for Real Madrid. So keep your word and negotiate. I'm not interested in Manchester United or any other club. I only want to play for Real Madrid."

You almost have to admire how brazen it is. Clearly on their Outlook this template is in their Building Blocks as "Tapping up 1"

Chris Scott
July 26th, 2013, 11:58 AM
You not think you might ask for Modric back as part of the Bale deal?

Simon
July 26th, 2013, 12:01 PM
No chance, he'd improve what we have even with our quality in midfield but A) that money would be better spent improving weaker areas of the pitch and B) he wouldn't sign for us anyway - United and Chelsea would be all over him and we wouldn't get a sniff.

Chris Scott
July 26th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I can see United bidding for him now Barca have told them where to go over Cesc.

Chris Scott
July 26th, 2013, 12:10 PM
For all the rumours about Arsenal being willing to increase their bid, I'd be surprised if they did without seeing if Luis is willing to take any further action to put pressure on us to sell, until he does that we would pretty much turn down anything they offered anyway.

Equally for those and for me but I've come around to the idea now people continually saying we can't sell to them as he'll improve their team. Unfortunately if they miss out on Suarez their cash doesn't magically disappear they're likely to go and spend 40-50m elsewhere that is likely to have a positive impact on them for next season anyway.

Even in this inflated market it is hard to imagine them going to 50m+ for a player with the baggage Suarez has in this country, more fool them if they do.

son_of_foley
July 26th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I cant find the Modric story with those quotes? Are you sure the guy on the spurs forum isnt just pulling your leg?

Simon
July 26th, 2013, 12:13 PM
The Guardian reckon Arsenal/Suarez are going to ask the FA to go over his contract to confirm whether he can force through a sale at that £40m figure.

Chris Scott
July 26th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I hope Arsenal have also got money lined up for defenders.

turdpower
July 26th, 2013, 12:25 PM
http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/can-you-trust-marca-a-list-of-the-spanish-newspapers-biggest-fails/

Chris Scott
July 26th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Going on from my point before, thinking about it that 50m they've got they might not go out and get another Suarez. Also the problem is that even if we get £50 million in the coffers, everyone we express an interest in gets an extra £10 million whacked on their price. Big sales of important players are usually false economy unless you hold on a year.

I actually think he's be perfect for Arsenal. He would give them a bit of menace and fight.

Ultimately though he needs to be honest. Arsenal and Tottenham will be fighting for that CL place, perhaps Everton will be involved in the scrap as well next season. 4 clubs for 1 position as I also think there's enough in our squad to have a real crack at that goal next season.

However, and this is the key point, Wenger will know United probably won't be as strong. Chelsea and City both have new managers and some transition and he is prepared to put all his eggs in one basket to smash and grab another league title. I think it's risky but very viable. I actually don't think Suarez would lift Arsenal that much but I'll concede it's a definite possibility.

Andy
July 26th, 2013, 12:57 PM
It's only a possibility if we invest a lot more in the squad. And I mean a lot. We need at least one centre back, at least one midfielder, a winger if Gervinho goes to Roma, and in my mind two strikers. I'd say we need three first teamers at an absolute minimum, plus a few more squad players. Now I have doubts over whether we could do that with the £40m we're looking at spending on Suarez alone. In fact I'd say it's impossible.

Right now our squad is nowhere near CL standard and if we suffer injuries to a striker or centre back we're basically fucked and wouldn't be getting in the CL again. Plus when you consider Man City have already spent £100m and Chelsea have spent a shitload too, I just don't know what we can expect to achieve this season, especially if we don't address the holes in the squad and spunk all our money on a striker.

Ringo
July 26th, 2013, 2:08 PM
Chelsea have spent a shitload too

Only £26m! :squint: Fuck all by our standards.

Sure, we have players coming back from loans who are worth a lot more but that is besides the point.

I don't see Arsenal challenging if they get Suarez, as brilliant as he is. You really think you need another two strikers? What do you reckon your starting front 3 will be if you were to sign Suarez?

Andy
July 26th, 2013, 3:09 PM
I guess Podolski, Suarez, Walcott.

I don't think Wenger fancies Podolski up top and Walcott isn't a regular option. So for depth and flexibility I think we need Giroud plus two others. We do have Bendtner, Chamakh and Park on the books of course so maybe we have enough.

We bid for Bender at the start of the month and haven't heard anything since. So we've accepted we need a midfielder but have put it one bid and that's it. Most people credit us with serious interest in Bernard and Cesar but we are seemingly nowhere near signing either. I don't know what to make of any of it. If we have the money we should've been out in he market early to wrap up our most pressing targets. As it is, I'd be genuinely surprised to see us sign more than two players, if that this summer.

Ringo
July 26th, 2013, 3:17 PM
And won't Yaya Sanogo and Joel Campbell be sticking around or are they both bound for loans? I'd have thought Wenger would deem Sanogo ready to feature.

Gary J
July 26th, 2013, 3:27 PM
Campbell is off on loan to Olympiakos I think.

Andy
July 26th, 2013, 3:30 PM
Yeah Campbell is off on loan and I don't see Sanogo as a regular. Plus he's supposedly quite injury prone surprise surprise.

El Capitano Gatisto
July 26th, 2013, 10:13 PM
This Fabregas stuff is weird, several times now Barca have said he's not for sale but United are surprisingly open with still being after him. They must be getting encouragement from somewhere. Fabregas said earlier in the summer he didn't want to leave. Why be so public about bidding when it appears hopeless? It's not a good PR strategy and doesn't make people feel better about not having other signings, in fact, it makes it worse.

Fanny
July 26th, 2013, 10:59 PM
having pulled in £18m in transfer fees in the last fortnight, Lennon's out saying he's not going to change the scouting, wage or 'spirit' culture of the club to strengthen out attacking options. He's clarified that that means no 5 to 7 million pound 'marquee' signings and implied that the strategy of buying cheap unknown blokes and selling them on a few years later at a profit is to be the continued operating system for the club. I can absolutely see his and the boards point, but for a CL last 16 club who have NO DEBT, I don't think it would bring the entire operation crumbling down around him if he spraffed a good few mil on a proven striker if it was available/possible.

Hlebsfall
July 27th, 2013, 4:20 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/07/27/4145905/arsenal-boss-wenger-prepared-to-wait-for-suarez

'With or without additions we can be title challengers next season.'

I'd just like to say that I called Arsenal not signing anyone weeks ago. The fucking wankers.

turdpower
July 27th, 2013, 6:20 AM
This Fabregas stuff is weird, several times now Barca have said he's not for sale but United are surprisingly open with still being after him. They must be getting encouragement from somewhere. Fabregas said earlier in the summer he didn't want to leave. Why be so public about bidding when it appears hopeless? It's not a good PR strategy and doesn't make people feel better about not having other signings, in fact, it makes it worse.

I can only assume that some sort of feedback was given after the first bid that made it seem it was possible.

The Rosk
July 27th, 2013, 1:20 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2013/07/27/4145905/arsenal-boss-wenger-prepared-to-wait-for-suarez

'With or without additions we can be title challengers next season.'

I'd just like to say that I called Arsenal not signing anyone weeks ago. The fucking wankers.

I'm positive you will get someone big. There is no chance they will do all this bluster and then not actually go ahead with fucking Chamakh being third choice.

Andy
July 27th, 2013, 7:21 PM
I had to check I was reading The Guardian and not Marca here. Pretty strongly worded to say the least. :eek:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/27/gareth-bale-real-madrid-tottenham-hotspur

The Rosk
July 27th, 2013, 7:24 PM
£86m? Fucking hell rip their cunting hands off ffs. You could get three world class players for that. Or two Bentekes. Bale is shit a third of the time anyway. That is mental if anywhere near the truth.

The Rosk
July 27th, 2013, 7:34 PM
Zlatan, Soldado and loads of change for Gareth Bale lads.

turdpower
July 27th, 2013, 8:09 PM
God I hope they are funding it from us buying Ronaldo.

Simon
July 28th, 2013, 4:40 AM
£86m? Fucking hell rip their cunting hands off ffs. You could get three world class players for that. Or two Bentekes. Bale is shit a third of the time anyway. That is mental if anywhere near the truth.
We wouldn't get any world class players for that money because we can't attract world class players.

If that article was from anywhere other than the Guardian I would be laughing at it - it is the exact opposite of more or less everything we have heard ie. he hasn't pushed for a transfer at all, Madrid haven't bid (yet) anyway. Seems out of character for him to react in the way that article implies...we'll have to see I guess. First time I've had even the slightest worry that he will go this summer.

The Rosk
July 28th, 2013, 5:16 AM
Out of character meh. He's given a long innings for you and one of the three biggest clubs in the world want him and are willing to pay him superstar wages. Why would he stay and fight for 5th place again. Looks like his head is gone now. Time to start looking for replacements.

Simon
July 28th, 2013, 5:24 AM
We'll see. More worried than I was but still not tearing my hair out. You're right that he has given us a good shift and has already outgrown us so there would be no ill will against him if he does ask to move...if he tries to force it like Modric then its a different story though. No way he will stay beyond this season though

Andy
July 28th, 2013, 5:25 AM
£86m is absolute insanity. More than Ronaldo went for isn't it? And Bale isn't as good as Ronakdo was then. I'd rip their hand off and drive him there myself.

RFF Champ
July 28th, 2013, 5:40 AM
What difference does the money make? They won't reinvest it all & the bar is already set for what he'll cost next year. If he's willing to stay then keep him as long as you can. The fans won't see any benefit from 80million.

StevieV
July 28th, 2013, 5:43 AM
What difference does the money make? They won't reinvest it all & the bar is already set for what he'll cost next year. If he's willing to stay then keep him as long as you can. The fans won't see any benefit from 80million.

Alex talks sense.

Andy
July 28th, 2013, 5:59 AM
What difference does £80m+ make to a football club? With that amount of money it shouldn't be a problem at all to replace Bale. Obviously not with one player, and probably not this summer, but you can't turn down that sort of money. If the article is genuine and Bale does want out, if you turn it down it's hard to see him performing as well this season. Then you'd arrive at the transfer window next summer with some of his value lost, a year less on his contract and a slimmer chance of being able to bring in enough replacements.

RFF Champ
July 28th, 2013, 7:01 AM
Of course it's a big problem to replace Bale. That 80million soon gets swallowed up. Clubs & agents would know that Spurs are gagging to spend money on players and at this point money is the real attraction for those players cos Spurs aren't in the CL. Also can you see Levy breaking a habit of a lifetime of lowballing just because he has 80million coming in installments? It pays for two quality players & wages for Spurs, so why not just keep Bale and add a top striker as they're trying to do.

There's no real indication that Bale wants to leave and he is on a lengthy contract which Spurs would be right to tie him to for another year to achieve 4th & have a better chance of replacing him.

Rip
July 28th, 2013, 7:06 AM
Gomis deal done for £6.9m according to Telegraph, nice start with offer for Remy on loan for a season then buying next summer on the table and Kinnear chasing Bardsley(?) looks like we're finally moving.

Simon
July 28th, 2013, 7:41 AM
The ITK going around is that the rumours that Bale is interested in a move are true, but that he isn't kicking up a fuss or anything, and is still in talks over signing a new contract.

Oh and Levy has apparently set the price for Bale. It's high :eek:

Alf
July 28th, 2013, 7:46 AM
It's such a maelstron of bullshit. Thing last night was they'd offered us two players plus 60m for Bale. Crazy money.

Is it the 150m figure that's being bandied about?

Real still owe us on the Modric deal APPAZ, so do they even have money?

MMH
July 28th, 2013, 10:58 AM
It's such a maelstron of bullshit. Thing last night was they'd offered us two players plus 60m for Bale. Crazy money.

Is it the 150m figure that's being bandied about?

Real still owe us on the Modric deal APPAZ, so do they even have money?

51M plus Di Maria and Contraeo I have heard. I would be all over that to be homest, assuming they wanted to move of course.

turdpower
July 28th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Didn't Coentrao cost like 30m? He seems oddly out of favour with them.

Simon
July 28th, 2013, 1:55 PM
It's all well and good them offering those players and they are better than anyone else we could sign...but why would they come? If they were to leave they would have offers from better sides than us. So in all likelihood the offer would have to be cash, and it would have to be a mad amount that Madrid don't have anyway. Bale might want to leave but as things stand I'm not convinced it is feasible without Madrid selling a few big names first.

Simon
July 28th, 2013, 1:56 PM
Didn't Coentrao cost like 30m? He seems oddly out of favour with them.

Pretty simple, Marcelo is better. I love Marcelo, pure skill and a fat little face. He always looks like hes having a right laugh on the pitch, you dont get many like that any more.

turdpower
July 28th, 2013, 1:59 PM
I know, and he was even before they bought him. Why buy him?

The Rosk
July 28th, 2013, 2:01 PM
Bale has apparently said, according to a Spurs ITK on Sportsmole, that he is refusing to play unless Spurs accept the offer. Ludicrous.

Simon
July 28th, 2013, 2:02 PM
False.

The Rosk
July 28th, 2013, 2:05 PM
Http://www.sportsmole.com/tottinghambollcoksbacktoyourownthreadyoucuntshasht agtwat

If you don't believe me...

Simon
July 28th, 2013, 2:08 PM
Potentially the biggest transfer deal of all time, probably alright in here I reckon.

MikeHunt
July 28th, 2013, 2:09 PM
Http://www.sportsmole.com/tottinghambollcoksbacktoyourownthreadyoucuntshasht agtwat

If you don't believe me...

Bahahahahahahahahahaha!

Andy
July 28th, 2013, 2:28 PM
If Real don't have the money the could just sell the stadium toilets to the King for £63b.

son_of_foley
July 29th, 2013, 4:05 AM
Isn't RB a real problem position for Arsenal. All their eggs in 1 basket at the minute. If I was writing for the Sun I would have said basket(CASE lol).

Simon
July 29th, 2013, 5:48 AM
On this day 19 years ago we signed a top class striker we really had no right getting.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01112/jurgen-klinsmann_1112047c.jpg

Come on Soldado you bastard, hurry up and sign. We already have a nickname for you, BOBBY SOLDIER.

Andy
July 29th, 2013, 5:55 AM
Isn't RB a real problem position for Arsenal. All their eggs in 1 basket at the minute. If I was writing for the Sun I would have said basket(CASE lol).

It's not the biggest problem. We only have two fit centre backs, one left back and one striker. Sagna has been poor for a year but at least he's experienced and has a promising youngster behind him.

son_of_foley
July 29th, 2013, 6:23 AM
Surely you have

Monreal, Gibbs + Vermalen for LB and
Sagna, Jenkinson + ? for RB?

I don't see why its less of a priority than LB.

Striker wise surely at a minimum you have Walcott, Giroud and Podolski. Not to mention Park Chu-Young lolz

Arsenals squad is a fucking disgrace though. How it can have been that mismanaged god only knows. The amount of wages you are spending on absolute shite as well. Outrageous. At least a few left this summer. When do you give up on Djourou?

Andy
July 29th, 2013, 6:30 AM
Vermaelen and Monreal are both out for two months minimum. I don't think Wenger fancies Podolski up to and Walcott isn't a regular option. Yep Park, Chamakh and Bendtner in reserve of course. Guess we gave up on Djourou a couple of years ago when he was absolutely shit.

As it stands I think we'd be lucky to make top 6.

son_of_foley
July 29th, 2013, 6:41 AM
Djourou out on loan then 1 more year on his deal. Don't really understand why he's not been sold.
Chamakh I guess will be off at the end of the year as well.
Bendtner away as well
Park may be getting released this summer.

The thing is though if they go, and I know they've been fuck all use anyway, the squad is paper thin. Is there a particularly strong crop of youth players at the minute? Or is Wenger clearing the decks for a successor?

Simon
July 29th, 2013, 6:53 AM
Are we close enough to the start of the season to start a predictions thread and a "how do you think you will do this season?" thread? I think so. BRB

Rip
July 29th, 2013, 6:53 AM
Remy at Newcastle this morning to discuss a move, we're looking at 12 months loan with buy option due to his legal issues, QPR would rather sell.

Simon
July 29th, 2013, 6:55 AM
Goalkeeper Pepe Reina claims Liverpool didn't inform him of his loan move to Napoli until after the deal was completed.

In an open letter on his website, the Spain international claims he wasn't informed of the season-long loan to the Serie A side until after the deal was completed.

Reina was linked with a move to Barcelona last season and Reds boss Brendan Rodgers explained that speculation led to him swooping for Sunderland goalkeeper Simon Mignolet.

However, Reina says he told the club that he would be interested in extending his contract at Anfield if an offer from Barcelona wasn't forthcoming.

"If I have one regret, it is the way that I am leaving," said the 30-year-old. "It is only natural that I would be disappointed that the Liverpool management agreed to loan me to Napoli without telling me first.

"I thought that I deserved better than that even though I understand that difficult decisions have to be taken in football.

"A lot has been made about me informing the club that if an offer came in from Barcelona that I would have liked them to consider it. But I had also spoken to the club about the possibility of extending my contract if the offer was not made.

"I told the manager that I wanted to play for Liverpool and that Barcelona would only become an option for me if the opportunity arrived, like the rumours said it would, as it would be a chance for me to go back home.

"When it didn't come I was happy to fight for my place so I was surprised that Liverpool decided it was in the club's interests to send me to Napoli instead."

Reina says that it will be a "strange feeling" to not be a Liverpool player next season but hopes he can return to the club once his loan deal with Napoli expires.

"My children consider Liverpool to be their home and hopefully their love for the city and also for the club will only grow while we are away," he said.

"I would have liked to have been able to say goodbye in a different way but because of the way the move came about this was not possible.

"Maybe in the near future I can do it properly so that I can show my appreciation to you but all I would ask now is that you keep on inspiring the manager and the players just like you always have done and help Liverpool to become the club that you deserve once again.

"I would like nothing better than to come back at the end of my year away and for Liverpool to be back where they belong."

Reina also thanked the Liverpool fans and believes the club can challenge for major honours this season.

He said: "The supporters deserve the best of times and it would give me so much pleasure to see Liverpool back where they belong, challenging for trophies and getting back into the top four.

"That was where the club was when I first arrived and although I am leaving a different club, one with new owners, a new manager, new players and new challenges, I honestly believe that Liverpool can reach those levels again."

And less than a week after Rodgers came out demanding more loyalty from Suarez :lol:

Bad Collin
July 29th, 2013, 6:58 AM
It is terrible double standards, people forget that clubs have no loyalty to players when it suits them.

son_of_foley
July 29th, 2013, 7:03 AM
I don't understand. They accepted a loan offer from Napoli without telling him that they had the offer? Is that not the standard?

Simon
July 29th, 2013, 7:03 AM
It is terrible double standards, people forget that clubs have no loyalty to players when it suits them.

Yeah I've always said that. We can't complain about Bale or whoever looking to break a contract when we're happy to force people into moves whenever they're no longer good enough. Poor David Bentley freezing his bollocks off in Russia, all he ever wanted was enough money to open a few more bars in Spain.

Simon
July 29th, 2013, 7:04 AM
I don't understand. They accepted a loan offer from Napoli without telling him that they had the offer? Is that not the standard?

Seems like they organised the whole thing without telling him, then put him on the spot.

son_of_foley
July 29th, 2013, 7:05 AM
I thought that was the normal process if the initial offer was good enough. Accepted permitting the player has interest in it then it's up to them.

Thought the whole we'll see if the player has any interest thing only happened when extending negotiations were expected

Simon
July 29th, 2013, 7:08 AM
I thought that was the normal process if the initial offer was good enough. Accepted permitting the player has interest in it then it's up to them.

Thought the whole we'll see if the player has any interest thing only happened when extending negotiations were expected

Dunno, but presumably not if Reina felt strongly enough to write an open letter about it. Clearly he feels he's been treated badly, and he's never come across like the type to kick up a fuss without due reason.

son_of_foley
July 29th, 2013, 7:10 AM
I think a lot of players like to pander to fans they are leaving to try and stay in the good graces.

Simon
July 29th, 2013, 7:16 AM
Bums, looks like Bale is off after all :(

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BQTDSnzCIAACMjM.jpg:large

Simon
July 29th, 2013, 7:20 AM
This one is actually genuine :lol:

http://gyazo.com/c333dd26f098e561b3290f10544dea3e.png

Hlebsfall
July 29th, 2013, 7:56 AM
I see Shefki Kuqi on an Easyjet flight to Koln once. He was wearing snakeskin boots. He also stumped up for speedy boarding.

Simon
July 29th, 2013, 7:59 AM
That wartorn motherfucker probably just looked at the pilot and he automatically upgraded him. Terrifying looking dude.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2011/2/20/1298208018481/Shefki-Kuqi-007.jpg

If there's ever a live action movie of GTA IV, he'll play the lead.

The Rosk
July 29th, 2013, 8:45 AM
I'm with Lord Sugar on this one. That sheer amount of money overrides what it "means" to sell such a player. £80m + is ludicrous money which could mean a lot to tight old Spurs. Noone laughed at United for getting rid of Ronaldo to Madrid after he put in a fair stint with them and wanted a move.

I would suggest Spurs cash in now just in case he goes back to the like of previous seasons when he was getting 7-9 goals as supposed to 20+. Add in the fact that his head is now clearly turned and there is also the injury potential - last year was only the second season in his Spurs career that he had managed more than 30 League starts. Don't get me wrong, Bale is pure class... but if you are bringing in any striker worth his salt, Chadli is no loon, and you've got plenty to go out there and attract class. Surely.

Get Berbatov back. I am a genius.

Peter Griffin
July 29th, 2013, 8:50 AM
Anyone have any Idea what Southampton would be owed on any potential deal?

Alf
July 29th, 2013, 9:13 AM
Zilcho I think. I'm pretty sure I remember we went back and restructured the deal a year or two after he joined.

Peter Griffin
July 29th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Spurs people, tell me good things about Adam Smith, we have signed him on a seasons loan.

Slare
July 29th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Well, he's white, so that's a smashing start for you.

Sorry.

son_of_foley
July 29th, 2013, 10:33 AM
What the fuck are Newcastle at btw? Has the money run out?

Simon
July 29th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Spurs people, tell me good things about Adam Smith, we have signed him on a seasons loan.

Quick, good energy, decent footballer...there are some people who think we should have cashed in on Naughton and had Smith as our back-up to Walker at right back this season. Should do well at Championship level again, although at this point it must be worrying for his Tottenham career that he hasn't gone to a Premier League club. He'll be 23 by the end of the season, so he'll have to be brilliant if he wants to end up joining our first team squad. He's running out of time.

RFF Champ
July 29th, 2013, 10:46 AM

My personal opinion is that we don't need a great deal more. Obviously we require at least one striker but the squad is good when you look at it and probably as good as it was when we came back up.

Last season was criminal in that we didn't strengthen until January and didn't acknowledge the impact of the Europa League. Only three players (Cisse, Jonas and Santon) played more than 25 games in the PL last season which won't be the case this season. I think the focus will be on getting some consistency from the French signings and we'll be better prepared for the league games. I think the squad (strikers aside) is good enough to be competing for 8th-12th which is realistically the target because I don't think the extra signings to challenge above that will be forthcoming.

Peter Griffin
July 29th, 2013, 10:47 AM
As longs as hes a competent defender and not a clown then im happy enough :D

Peter Griffin
July 29th, 2013, 10:48 AM

Maybe clubs are finding it hard to negotiate with big fat Joe Kinnear.

Mik
July 29th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Apparently they are after Phil Bardsley.

Andy
July 29th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Anyone have any Idea what Southampton would be owed on any potential deal?

If I remember correctly Spurs paid off the sell on clause (25% apparently) when they nearly went out of business.

Darkoke
July 29th, 2013, 2:22 PM
I think if Newcastle get Remy they'll be fine.

Simon
July 29th, 2013, 4:32 PM
Bale to be offered captaincy as part of new deal :banghead:

Mik
July 29th, 2013, 4:33 PM
To be honest, I think the fact that they arent in Europe anymore will be a bigger factor. That seemed to have a big impact on their subsequent results.

Dreyski
July 29th, 2013, 6:32 PM
Barry Bannan possibly on his way to Blackburn Rovers...if his agent doesn't scupper the deal.

The Rosk
July 29th, 2013, 6:36 PM
What a waste. Topping will love him.

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 5:13 AM
Looks fairly sure now that Bale does want to go. Madrid haven't even bid yet though. Now that the possibility of convincing him to stay looks to be out, Levy's in his element. If you'd have told me two weeks we'd be looking at nothing less than a world record fee, and would probably reject their first offer even if it reached that level, I'd have laughed at you. I still hope that he stays, even if it's only for another year.

Alf
July 30th, 2013, 5:22 AM
I just don't care. This has such a familiar pattern to it, I just don't give a shit.

If we don't sell him now he'll go next summer like Mod did.

Lagom
July 30th, 2013, 5:42 AM
He'll end up going for about £60m. I still think the only reason they're after him instead of Suarez is because of the 6 games Suarez still has to sit out. If it weren't for that, the only thing that would tip the balance in Bale's favour for me would be longevity.

1_Pablo_Angel
July 30th, 2013, 5:55 AM
What a waste. Topping will love him.

Hold me :(

son_of_foley
July 30th, 2013, 6:03 AM
There were unfounded rumours going round our boards that he's got a coke problem?

RFF Champ
July 30th, 2013, 6:05 AM
Seems like the exact type of signing Blackburn don't need right now. Disruptive underachiever rejected by a Premier League club.

1_Pablo_Angel
July 30th, 2013, 6:12 AM
So good though.

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 6:17 AM
I just don't care. This has such a familiar pattern to it, I just don't give a shit.

If we don't sell him now he'll go next summer like Mod did.

I'd actually reached quite a nice, relaxed state of mind where I was accepting of the reality that he would definitely go next summer, and was looking forward to just enjoying a year of him without worrying about whether we could keep him or not. I was looking forward to it. But it's been taken away from me.

As long as he doesn't kick up a stink I won't hate him though. The Inter hat trick will go down as one of my most memorable Spurs moments.

Mad to think that less than four years ago Redknapp tried to bin him off to the Championship for £3m :lol:

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 6:19 AM
He'll end up going for about £60m. I still think the only reason they're after him instead of Suarez is because of the 6 games Suarez still has to sit out. If it weren't for that, the only thing that would tip the balance in Bale's favour for me would be longevity.

Don't forget it's all commercial with Madrid, and Bale is a much better commercial prospect than Suarez. In any case I think they need a player like Bale more than they need a player like Suarez.

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 6:21 AM
Florentino Perez subsequently met Daniel Levy, with the latter expressing his unhappiness with how the Luka Modric deal was carried out. As a result, (according to Torres), Levy told Perez that he would only accept €120m for Bale, a premium applied specifically to Madrid, as a consequence of the damage done by the way they carried out the Modric deal.

From a Spanish journalist. Love it.

Darkoke
July 30th, 2013, 8:18 AM

:yes:

This is just a saga now

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/18/TheLeagueOfGentlemen-PapaLazarou.jpg/300px-TheLeagueOfGentlemen-PapaLazarou.jpg

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 8:36 AM
I hope he kicks up a fuss and starts being a big cunt and pisses off ASAP. It's all very boring now. Spurs transfer sagas every summer cause levy is a tight cunt, blah blah blah, boring!

Fanny
July 30th, 2013, 9:09 AM
I think Levy has always been pretty savvy with his transfers out and, despite perhaps not completely mirroring that with moves into the club, keeping Spurs on a fairly even keel in the league and keeping the finances balanced

Alf
July 30th, 2013, 10:22 AM
We'd win the league if you got extra points for how good you are at excel.

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Will you still love Bale a bit Alf? I think I will. I've even softened on that little rat faced shitpig Modric now that the hurt has diminished. Campbell can still fuck off and die though.

Alf
July 30th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I'm indifferent. I enjoy watching them play but I don't have any real emotional attachment to them anymore. I was well pissed off when Carrick went, and then Berba, and now it's just the game so I don't take it to heart.

Meh

Red Dog
July 30th, 2013, 10:39 AM
We are having Kelvin Wilson back from Celtic. He hates Scotland that much he would rather swap CL football for the Championship.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Any centre half that lets the ball bounce in front of them instead of trying to control it is shite, Wilson 100% falls into this category.

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 10:59 AM
I'm indifferent. I enjoy watching them play but I don't have any real emotional attachment to them anymore. I was well pissed off when Carrick went, and then Berba, and now it's just the game so I don't take it to heart.

Meh

While I disagree and I will always remember Bale fondly for last year and the Inter games, there's something not quite 'Spurs' about the recent success that makes me have less of an affinity for them. Maybe that's just because I've become less naive/more cynical over time and I don't get attached to players as much any more, I dunno. But I was thinking the other day, and all my favourite recent players have been ones that are more in the spirit of the Tottenham I grew up with - players who gave their best but had notable limitations. Ledley, Dawson and Robinson are the players I've liked most, and Jol is my favourite manager...all loyal clubmen with fatal flaws.

Peter Griffin
July 30th, 2013, 11:01 AM
We are having Kelvin Wilson back from Celtic. He hates Scotland that much he would rather swap CL football for the Championship.

He's a Nottingham lad though right? He must be homesick bless him.

Slare
July 30th, 2013, 11:07 AM

Wilson is incredibly quick for a guy his size but is a bit of a bomb scare with a ball in the air and isn't amazing at attacking set pieces. Seem's to be decent in a tackle and with the ball at his feet though.

Darkoke
July 30th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I think the fact that after signing Wilson and seeing him play Lennon signed a further 4 central defenders gives an idea of how well he played for Celtic. Maybe the move to a smaller club will suit him.
Speaking of Celtic they've signed a left winger from Ajax today - Boerrigter - for a couple of million and there's a rumour doing the rounds that they're about to break their transfer record with another signing but that's just Twitter chatter.

Peter Griffin
July 30th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Maybe the move to a smaller club will suit him.

:D

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Lennon need to do something pretty sharp or it's going to look like panic buying. Poaching striker and 2 centre halfs are definitely required. I think any signings he's going to make undoubtably rely on Celtic advancing to the group stage of the CL. Other wise the squad that he has now is more than adequate for SPL and Europa leauge.

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Apparently there has finally been an official bid made for Bale.

From PSG.

This is blatantly going to run and run.

Slare
July 30th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Lennon need to do something pretty sharp or it's going to look like panic buying. Poaching striker and 2 centre halfs are definitely required. I think any signings he's going to make undoubtably rely on Celtic advancing to the group stage of the CL. Other wise the squad that he has now is more than adequate for SPL and Europa leauge.

We've just bought two centre halfs and apparently we're in for a stirker. I'm hearing 7 million and the names I'm hearing are Charlie Austin and Kevin Doyle.

Slare
July 30th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Just got a text saying Shane Long is being thrown about too. Kevin Doyle would be baffling for 7m but that's the strongest rumour right now.

Beefy
July 30th, 2013, 11:47 AM
£7m?! No chance. I saw a report earlier suggesting a bid of £500,000 for Doyle. That's closer to the mark.

Red Dog
July 30th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Any centre half that lets the ball bounce in front of them instead of trying to control it is shite, Wilson 100% falls into this category.He is probably the best CB we have had since Michael Dawson. Which probably says more about us than you.

He's a Nottingham lad though right? He must be homesick bless him.Yes

Wilson is incredibly quick for a guy his size but is a bit of a bomb scare with a ball in the air and isn't amazing at attacking set pieces. Seem's to be decent in a tackle and with the ball at his feet though.I watched him for 3 years you don't need to tell me about his pros and cons, thanks though.

I think the fact that after signing Wilson and seeing him play Lennon signed a further 4 central defenders gives an idea of how well he played for Celtic. Maybe the move to a smaller club will suit him.
My understanding from a Celtic mate is that is was crap in his first season but pretty good last season and he would be disappointed to lose him.

Red Dog
July 30th, 2013, 11:50 AM
We've just bought two centre halfs and apparently we're in for a stirker. I'm hearing 7 million and the names I'm hearing are Charlie Austin and Kevin Doyle.

We are in for Austin too. If we got Austin and Wilson we will get promoted. I'd bet your life on it.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 11:53 AM

One constantly injured and the other is 21. If I was yous I'd be wanting a bit more than that reinvested.

Red dog I'm not a tim and I can promise you wilson is pure crap.

Red Dog
July 30th, 2013, 11:56 AM
One constantly injured and the other is 21. If I was yous I'd be wanting a bit more than that reinvested.

Red dog I'm not a tim and I can promise you wilson is pure crap.He isn't pure crap at all! Well, he wasn't for us anyway.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Different quality of football I suppose. Genuinely everytime I've seen him play I have been underwhelmed and almost all my Celtic supporting mates will be happy to see the back of him with profit.

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Long is a class act, would be a shame if he dropped down to the SPL. Weird how Doyle has fell away, there was a point where we were heavily linked with him. Probably fucking still will get him come to think of it.

Slare
July 30th, 2013, 12:01 PM
£7m?! No chance. I saw a report earlier suggesting a bid of £500,000 for Doyle. That's closer to the mark.

Well yeah that's the strange thing. I heard half a million, then 2.5m, then what I hear is we're about to break our transfer record. Could be completely unrelated obviously but it's all happening at the same time.

Darkoke
July 30th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Wilson was better in his 2nd season than his first but like I said Celtic have 4 other CBs at least - doubt he'll be missed that much and £7million for Doyle would be awful business but Beefy's right the paper's have said the bid for him was much lower if there was one at all.

Slare
July 30th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Long is a class act, would be a shame if he dropped down to the SPL.

Poor guy getting to play in front of 50,000 and play European football (I know the league is fucking shit btw, but it has its pros)

Darkoke
July 30th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Celtic's attendance would only approach 50,000 if they got a big team in Europe - let's not kid ourselves.

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 12:05 PM
It's a bollocks league but I suppose it does have its perks. From a striker's POV it's probably the dream move actually - hat tricks every week in the league and the odd big match in Europe.

Slare
July 30th, 2013, 12:08 PM
It's a bollocks league but I suppose it does have its perks. From a striker's POV it's probably the dream move actually - hat tricks every week in the league and the odd big match in Europe.

That's the thing. Look at guys like Hooper and Goodwillie and the like. I don't rate them very highly as players but if you play in the SPL, especially for Celtic, you're guarenteed as a striker at least 5 or 6 chances a game, so chances are you're gonna score a few, end up with a decent record and get a move somewhere bigger. I reckon Hooper will flop big time at Norwich.

I remember Hooper scored 5 goals in one match and he was fucking shit.

Peter Griffin
July 30th, 2013, 12:12 PM
We have signed Jonny Russell from Dundee United, hope he turns out better than Chris McGuire :squint:

Slare
July 30th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Russell has actually looked quality in the last year or so. Absolutely baffled that Celtic didn't go in for him considering how cheap he ended up going for. Decent looking player, should do well for you.

Peter Griffin
July 30th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Yeh he has got a few in pre season, but cant really judge him based on that, but looks promising.

Darkoke
July 30th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I think when Chris Maguire went to Derby it was met pretty much with bemusement - he never looked much better than an average SPL player.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 1:16 PM
That's the thing. Look at guys like Hooper and Goodwillie and the like. I don't rate them very highly as players but if you play in the SPL, especially for Celtic, you're guarenteed as a striker at least 5 or 6 chances a game, so chances are you're gonna score a few, end up with a decent record and get a move somewhere bigger. I reckon Hooper will flop big time at Norwich.

I remember Hooper scored 5 goals in one match and he was fucking shit.

Hooper is a lazy footballer. I piss myself with a little bit of excitement everytime he gets linked with an England call up.

The words of a man who doesn't watch scottish football. Back to worrying about Bale and fretting if he's staying or going and remember and post everything you read on twitter in here cause it's properly worth your time and really interesting!

We have signed Jonny Russell from Dundee United, hope he turns out better than Chris McGuire :squint:

I still don't understand why Celtic didn't sign him. Russell should be quality and a bargin at the price he went for.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 1:17 PM
If Russell was English or played in england he'd be worth about £15million.

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 1:20 PM
Hooper is a lazy footballer. I piss myself with a little bit of excitement everytime he gets linked with an England call up.

The words of a man who doesn't watch scottish football. Back to worrying about Bale and fretting if he's staying or going and remember and post everything you read on twitter in here cause it's properly worth your time and really interesting!

I still don't understand why Celtic didn't sign him. Russell should be quality and a bargin at the price he went for.

So the SPL is good then yeah?

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 1:22 PM
I've said it plenty of times that it is no where near as bad quality as people on here make out. It may not be the most competitive leauge in the world but neither is the EPL or Spain.

Red Dog
July 30th, 2013, 1:23 PM
If Russell was English or played in england he'd be worth about £15million.

Get your mate Peter to give you a report card for the upcoming season.

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 1:26 PM
SPL is so good that one of the European qualifiers got beat 7-0 at home to fucking Malmo. Yeah quality league.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 1:28 PM
One of your European qualifiers got relegated, now plays in the championship and Gary Caldwell is their captain! FUCKING UNBELIEVABLE!

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 1:29 PM
But they won the FA cup! The most prestigious club competition due to its history in the world!!!

Beefy
July 30th, 2013, 1:38 PM

He's not wrong though. Calvin Zola and James Collins are now top flight strikers in Scotland.

Calvin Zola FFS.

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 1:40 PM
7-0 to Malmo come on. You can't honestly think the standard is high...beyond Celtic, Scottish teams never do anything in Europe which is the only real barometer of the strength of the league. We put a reserve team out against Hearts last year and smashed them to bits. How many 'top' SPL players fflopwhen then move to bigger leagues? How many mediocre or lower league players come from England and flourish? Kelvin Wilson and Anthony Stokes?

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 1:43 PM
He's not wrong though. Calvin Zola and James Collins are now top flight strikers in Scotland.

Calvin Zola FFS.

Hardly.

BBF
July 30th, 2013, 1:45 PM
What? Zola plays for Aberdeen and Collins for Hibs. They are literally top flight strikers in Scotland.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 1:47 PM
7-0 to Malmo come on. You can't honestly think the standard is high...beyond Celtic, Scottish teams never do anything in Europe which is the only real barometer of the strength of the league. We put a reserve team out against Hearts last year and smashed them to bits. How many 'top' SPL players fflopwhen then move to bigger leagues? How many mediocre or lower league players come from England and flourish? Kelvin Wilson and Anthony Stokes?

In the last 10 years we have had two uefa cup/Europa leauge finalists. For a country of 5/6mil population that's really not bad. Celtic made it through the group stages of the CL last year which is an incredible achievement. I'm not saying the SPL is the top leauge in the world all I have said it is no where near as bad as made out.

Maybe try fucking watching the leauge which I know for a fact you don't do.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 1:48 PM
What? Zola plays for Aberdeen and Collins for Hibs. They are literally top flight strikers in Scotland.

If either play regularly or last more than their contracts I'll eat your fat.

BBF
July 30th, 2013, 1:49 PM
I imagine both will be regular starters. Please don't eat my fat.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 1:49 PM
Collins possibly, Zola no.

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 1:50 PM
In the last 10 years we have had two uefa cup/Europa leauge finalists. For a country of 5/6mil population that's really not bad. Celtic made it through the group stages of the CL last year which is an incredible achievement. I'm not saying the SPL is the top leauge in the world all I have said it is no where near as bad as made out.

Maybe try fucking watching the leauge which I know for a fact you don't do.
1. You don't know for a fact I don't watch it.

2. Of course I don't watch it, it's shite.

Beefy
July 30th, 2013, 1:50 PM

Alongside Paul Heffernan, Scott Vernon and no doubt another bunch of other players who failed in the bottom two divisions in England. Zola and Collins will both score goals too.

It's what I didn't get about the Celtic fans whining about why Gary Hooper may have traded Champions League for Championship as if one game every five years against a Barcelona or Milan makes up for four games a season vs Inverness.

Celtic and Rangers are huge clubs and would obviously be massive attractions for a player but their opposition is as pathetic as it is made out to be in the English media. I honestly believe that Bilel Mohsni will score 30 goals if Rangers put him up front this season instead of wasting him in defence.

BBF
July 30th, 2013, 1:51 PM
Collins possibly, Zola no.

SCOTT VERNON THEN FFS

Peter Griffin
July 30th, 2013, 1:55 PM
Dont forget ROWAN VINE.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 1:57 PM
1. You don't know for a fact I don't watch it.

2. Of course I don't watch it, it's shite.

You really are an idiot.

Torn
July 30th, 2013, 2:11 PM
Alongside Paul Heffernan, Scott Vernon and no doubt another bunch of other players who failed in the bottom two divisions in England. Zola and Collins will both score goals too.

Niall McGinn with his 20 goals for Aberdeen after being a waste of space for Brentford

Simon
July 30th, 2013, 2:12 PM
Well what are you comparing it to MikeHunt? When saying its better than people think.

Darkoke
July 30th, 2013, 2:14 PM
I watch it and they're right Mike - it is shite.

Slare
July 30th, 2013, 2:17 PM
Mike I appreciate your attempts at defending the national game and patriotism and everything like that, but outwith Celtic when they're playing well and any European adventures (St. Johnstone beat Rosenberg over two legs last week btw), the standard is absolutley, absurdly shit.

I had to cover a lot of SPL games for various media outlets so I was watching a lot of games I wouldn't normally watch and jesus christ, how they ask people to pay £20 a pop to watch this nonsense while there's so much quality football on T.V is insane.

Obviously it has its bright moments with us overachieving in Europe now and again and some tremendous players come through, but I've come to terms with the fact that fans of big clubs in the EPL will look down their noses at us and call us laughing stocks while there genuinely isn't much in the way of arguing back.

Beefy
July 30th, 2013, 2:25 PM
M but I've come to terms with the fact that fans of big clubs in the EPL will look down their noses at us and call us laughing stocks while there genuinely isn't much in the way of arguing back.

You've had Southend, Barnet and Brentford fans do the same thing here...!

You're right though. If there's one thing more cringe-worthy than reading English fans who never watch Scottish football blindly criticise it it's watching Scottlish fans who actually do watch it blindly defend it.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 2:29 PM
I completely disagree. Maybe I just like a different style of football? Maybe because I watched Stirling Albion bounce around lower leauges as a season ticket holder I bew scottish football in a different light. I have absolutely not one shred of interest in the hype machine that is the english premier leauge with quality matches like stoke vs hull. I would honestly rather watch east Stirling vs Annan.

I unlike Simon at least can speak from the pov of having watched both leagues. So how he can comment on the quality baffles me.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 2:30 PM
You've had Southend, Barnet and Brentford fans do the same thing here...!

You're right though. If there's one thing more cringe-worthy than reading English fans who never watch Scottish football blindly criticise it it's watching Scottlish fans who actually do watch it blindly defend it.

Stoke vs hull is going to be a game in the "best leauge in the world" this year! Awesome!

MMH
July 30th, 2013, 2:32 PM
Football is what you make of it. Of course a league will be more or less interesting if you have an active interest in it.

Who cares if people think the Scottish or English leagues are shit? If your team plays in those leagues it doesnt matter anyway.

Slare
July 30th, 2013, 2:33 PM
Right, I get where you're coming from with that. But there's a difference between getting emotionally invested in a game and the actual quality of the football on offer.
I watch a lot of local football and probably enjoy it more than watching top league stuff because it's gritty, theres passion, theres fight and a bit more goes on, however the quality is dreadful.
Scottish football is becoming pub football. Decent entertainment, a bit of passion in the lower leagues, local connections but a terrible terrible level of the game.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 2:34 PM
Niall McGinn with his 20 goals for Aberdeen after being a waste of space for Brentford

Owen didn't really score many goals for Real Madrid. Spanish leauge must be pile better than the English. What a foolish argument. So many different factors come into how and why goal scoring records change for better or worse.

MikeHunt
July 30th, 2013, 2:35 PM
I would also like to highlight at no point have I said its top class football up here but it's miles better than people like Simon think.

Gary J
July 30th, 2013, 2:36 PM
I have absolutely not one shred of interest in the hype machine that is the english premier leauge with quality matches like stoke vs hull. I would honestly rather watch east Stirling vs Annan.

Hey leave Hull out of this despite the fact us being amongst the best 20 teams in the country shows the standard over here in England isn't that great. Use Cardiff vs Crystal Palace next time.

Slare
July 30th, 2013, 2:39 PM
Every league has its big games and shit games.
Every league has its good players and bad players.
Every league has its detractors.
Every league has its defenders (and midfielders and strikers lolz)
Every league has people that enjoy it better than every other league.

There we go. Sorted :)

Andy
July 30th, 2013, 3:15 PM
I seriously can't wait for the Scottish Second Division to start. Or Scottish First Division as it's now arbitrarily called. As I was saying to MikeHunt on Twitter earlier, I'm more interested in Dunfermline than Arsenal this season. Out of financial trouble, four games against Rangers, new grounds, upbeat fans, Jim Jeffries and a couple of good players are staying. Really looking forward to getting to a lot of games this season, starting at East Stirling on Saturday.

Peter Griffin
July 30th, 2013, 3:30 PM
Stoke vs hull is going to be a game in the "best leauge in the world" this year! Awesome!

Right, because there arent 'smaller' teams in any top flight across Europe? Stoke play a style people dont like but I dont get what is Wrong with Hull exactly? Your just being a knob. There are a hell of a lot of great games in the premiership and football league every week. Now im not suggesting the premiership is the best league, but your argument is borderline pathetic. Enjoy your trip to Stranraer next season you dashing young gentleman.

Beefy
July 30th, 2013, 3:33 PM
It's a nonsense argument anyway as we're talking about players and not teams. Pretty much every one of Stoke and Hull's first team would be a star in Scotland.

Gary J
July 30th, 2013, 3:35 PM
Alex Bruce wouldn't.

RFF Champ
July 30th, 2013, 3:44 PM
Mohsni can't stay on the pitch enough to score 30 goals.

Beefy
July 30th, 2013, 3:52 PM
Mohsni can't stay on the pitch enough to score 30 goals.

He'd get sent off loads up front definitely. I just don't see how defenders at that level would be able to deal with him. They won't have seen anyone like him.

Red Dog
July 30th, 2013, 4:05 PM
I seriously can't wait for the Scottish Second Division to start. Or Scottish First Division as it's now arbitrarily called. As I was saying to MikeHunt on Twitter earlier, I'm more interested in Dunfermline than Arsenal this season. Out of financial trouble, four games against Rangers, new grounds, upbeat fans, Jim Jeffries and a couple of good players are staying. Really looking forward to getting to a lot of games this season, starting at East Stirling on Saturday.

You can't have two teams!!

Andy
July 30th, 2013, 4:07 PM
Already do. Deal with it. :cool:

Red Dog
July 30th, 2013, 4:13 PM
Football doesn't work that way. Having a second team who's result you 'look out for' is still a bit weird but acceptable. But to have two teams who you attend matches and actively give a fuck about the result is wrong. Especially as you give a shit about you local club more now that Arsenal are slipping further and further away from the PL title. Some 'fan'.

Beefy
July 30th, 2013, 4:13 PM
Three with Rangers isn't it?

Andy
July 30th, 2013, 4:25 PM
I'M NOT A RANGERS FAN :panic:

:cry::cry::cry:

It's not that I don't give a shit about Arsenal anymore, it's more that I became a lot more attached to Dunfermline last season than I was before. It was pretty eye opening going through a season supporting a club in financial turmoil. A hell of a lot of uncertainty and emotion. We've come out the other side today with the CVA being approved and the fan group taking over which is brilliant. Puts things into perspective too.

And I've explained before why I genuinely support two teams. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

MMH
July 30th, 2013, 4:35 PM
Right, because there arent 'smaller' teams in any top flight across Europe? Stoke play a style people dont like but I dont get what is Wrong with Hull exactly? Your just being a knob. There are a hell of a lot of great games in the premiership and football league every week. Now im not suggesting the premiership is the best league, but your argument is borderline pathetic. Enjoy your trip to Stranraer next season you cunt.

I know the rules are quite slack in here but there really is no need to call him a cunt just because you disagree with him so lets have less of that.

Peter Griffin
July 30th, 2013, 4:39 PM
Fair enough, Though im pretty sure I see the word in here (football forum) daily, just saying.

turdpower
July 30th, 2013, 4:43 PM
I know the rules are quite slack in here but there really is no need to call him a cunt just because you disagree with him so lets have less of that.

Bit odd to pick him up on this. People do it everyday in here.

Mik
July 30th, 2013, 4:56 PM
Nah, they dont.

Beefy
July 30th, 2013, 4:57 PM
There's a massive difference between someone calling someone else a cunt affectionately or semi-affectionately and Peter Griffin calling Mikehunt a cunt or vice versa.