PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Ringo
January 6th, 2012, 6:42 PM
The bloke who wrote the story is on 5 live now btw.

Bad Collin
January 8th, 2012, 8:42 AM
Big rumour that Ba has a £10 mil release clause and we are leading the chase :hyper:

RFF Champ
January 8th, 2012, 8:44 AM
The latest rumour is that it's only for Champions League clubs. Unlucky.

turdpower
January 8th, 2012, 8:52 AM
Or for clubs that like black players.

Andy
January 8th, 2012, 9:02 AM
We'll sign him and his dodgy knees will instantly shatter.

Alf
January 8th, 2012, 7:35 PM
Big rumour that Ba has a £10 mil release clause and we are leading the chase :hyper:

And Harry apparently then blurted out that it was a lot less than 10m, and when asked if it was 7m he said 'lower than that...'.

Big gob harry...

Ba always looks like whatever he is doing is by accident when I see him play. At that price you might as well though.

Andy
January 8th, 2012, 9:07 PM
Apparently we've bid £3m for Kalou. Lord.

son_of_foley
January 9th, 2012, 5:01 AM
And Harry apparently then blurted out that it was a lot less than 10m, and when asked if it was 7m he said 'lower than that...'.

Big gob harry...

Ba always looks like whatever he is doing is by accident when I see him play. At that price you might as well though.

I think it shows a real lack of class from him to be talking about that in public.

Hlebsfall
January 9th, 2012, 5:57 AM
Apparently we've bid £3m for Kalou. Lord.

Paupers. Million seater stadium, and the only shit they ever get seriously linked with are dickheads like this twat, and Wayne Bridge.

Bennedy
January 9th, 2012, 6:02 AM
Kalou and Wayne Bridge? Christ why do you want our shit rejects?

RFF Champ
January 9th, 2012, 6:33 AM

Big gob harry...

I've not seen any quotes to suggest Harry said it's lower. Link? We paid a huge amount of money in agent fees for Ba. We aren't so stupid that we would have a really low release clause.

He is the real deal. I've said before that he'd be ideal for Spurs if signing Adebayor is unrealistic. Course, his knees are a huge worry.

RFF Champ
January 9th, 2012, 6:47 AM
Just dug the quotes out. Hopefully just Harry talking nonsense. I think we all knew he'd be gone after a year if it worked out and it's unlikely we'd ever see a big fee reinvested so it's not that gutting given the context. I just hope we can push towards Europe somehow while we still have these quality players.

Rip
January 9th, 2012, 7:48 AM
Nah Harry stirring again, pretty sure he'll be off in the summer for a 'big opportunity he couldn't turn down' but can't see it happening till then.

Anyway, Pards and Carr will have someone no-one else has heard of lined up as a replacement... Or Andy Carroll of course.

Alf
January 9th, 2012, 8:02 AM
I've not seen any quotes to suggest Harry said it's lower. Link? We paid a huge amount of money in agent fees for Ba. We aren't so stupid that we would have a really low release clause.

He is the real deal. I've said before that he'd be ideal for Spurs if signing Adebayor is unrealistic. Course, his knees are a huge worry.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Newcastle-striker-Demba-Ba-could-be-available-for-less-than-7m-claims-Tottenham-Hotspur-boss-Harry-Redknapp-sparking-Liverpool-Everton-Sunderland-and-QPR-interest-article851318.html

So are King's...

And yes, Ba looks alright at the moment. But so did Carol.

Gary J
January 9th, 2012, 8:57 AM
Newcastle should sell Ba this month and bring back Shearer for the rest of the season it's what the rest of the league seems to be doing.

Arsenal bring back Henry , Man Utd bring back Scholes , Everton bring back Donovan and Liverpool brought back Racism.

turdpower
January 9th, 2012, 4:43 PM
Kalou and Wayne Bridge? Christ why do you want our shit rejects?

I don't think they do.

I think they might be resigned to getting Bridge just because he's the only one who's basically free to get without paying alot.

If that Kalou one is true then fair enough, it sounds baffling.

Simon
January 10th, 2012, 10:26 AM
We're going balls out for Remy and Samba apparently. Seems unlikely to go for Remy as he'd cost £20m-odd, but I suppose this could be the best chance we'll ever get to win the league so why not go for it?

Beefy
January 10th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I like Samba but is he any better than what you've got? Or is properly dead this time?

Simon
January 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I don't think it's a case of him being better or worse than what we've got, it's more about us having a strong group. Our central defence setup is pretty much unique because of the Ledley situation - as of right now I would say we have Ledley as an automatic pick and then three potentially "first choice" centre backs ie players who are on a relatively even level to play alongside him (Kaboul, Dawson, Gallas).

King's situation means we essentially have 3.5 centre backs when, for a 55-60 game season like we would usually expect to have, you'd probably ideally want four - so we have to choose between having slightly too few (King plus three) or slightly too many (King plus four), and Redknapp being Redknapp we will always try to have the latter.

If Bassong goes then Samba would come in - and just to clarify I am working on the theory that this move does go through, when there's no reason to think it's nailed on by any means - and we would have four players expecting regular football, plus King. But in the short-term we know that King is out for at least two months with both Dawson and Gallas are making their way back from medium/long-term injuries, and in the long-term it's likely that Gallas will move on in the summer when his contract (I think) expires. Then next year we would have King, Kaboul, Samba and Dawson, plus young Steven Caulker who is expected to join the first-team squad getting experience and presumably paving the way for Ledley's retirement. So it's not unreasonable to think that Samba could be signed and play semi-regularly this season, and more consistently next year when Gallas goes.

Sorry I've gone on a bit there, but the crux of the point is that with King around we're always going to be an awkward proposition in terms of convincing prospective first-choice centre backs to come. "You'll be first choice whenever Ledley hits the skids" is a tough sell I would have thought.

UK Blue
January 10th, 2012, 11:23 AM
With Corluka likely to go as well, that'd make Kaboul second choice right-back as well as a centre-back option.

Also, Gallas is getting on and could easily turn into a liability pretty much anytime (although he's played well when I've seen him recently). Gallas is 34 (35 in August), Samba is 27.

So in short, the move makes sense. Samba is a beast.

Simon
January 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Naughton will be back from Norwich next season and if he stays would be a natural replacement for Walker in terms of his pace and attacking ambition, although he's not as direct or strong. I wouldn't be surprise if he fucks us off though, considering Walker is not only better but younger than him as well - it'd take a hell of an effort from Naughton to displace him long-term. He's done well at Norwich I think (TraXX?) so would presumably have no trouble finding a Premier League buyer, notwithstanding any attempts by Levy to demand £50m for him.

Kaboul has been a revelation this season. He's got it all really - strong, quick, good on the ball...he doesn't always get himself in the right position (he's yet another centre back who looks twice as good when alongside King) but he's still relatively young. He's a bit of an unsung hero with the credit for the defensive side of things mainly going to King, but he has been class this season and IMO is our best non-Ledley centre back now.

RFF Champ
January 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I was about to mention Naughton. He and Tierney cut through Newcastle like butter and I've been impressed by him in other games. I don't think he's that good defensively (by no means bad) but he does get exposed by the narrow system which Norwich play at times and if they play 3 CBs then he has the cover anyway. Supporting the attack he looks excellent.

The fact that Naughton wasn't allowed to play FA Cup suggests that Spurs have a recall option should you need an extra body?

Simon
January 10th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Yeah both he and Caulker have recall options (unlikely to be implemented) which mean they can't play in the FA Cup until the window shuts.

Alf
January 10th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Kaboul has still had the odd concentration lapse but he does seem to be getting better and better.

I think the idea behind Samba is that King is crocked, Gallas is crocked and old, Bassong is out of favour... that leaves us with Dawson and Kaboul. We need to think about getting a solid not-broken, able-to-start defender in now to replace those three and compete with Daws and Kaboul. We've also been linked with Vertohogen.

That Remy link seems recycled to me. I can't see us paying 20m either.

I'd welcome Samba, every time I've seen him play he's been good. Maybe not spectacular, but good and solid and a beast in the air. I like that.

Ringo
January 10th, 2012, 5:04 PM
Gary Cahill has signed or is about to sign apparently. Rumblings of him taking the number 25 shirt which has caused many fans to completely lose it.

Winkle van Tinkle
January 10th, 2012, 5:11 PM
why?

edit: ah zola

TraXX
January 10th, 2012, 5:15 PM
Naughton will be back from Norwich next season and if he stays would be a natural replacement for Walker in terms of his pace and attacking ambition, although he's not as direct or strong. I wouldn't be surprise if he fucks us off though, considering Walker is not only better but younger than him as well - it'd take a hell of an effort from Naughton to displace him long-term. He's done well at Norwich I think (TraXX?) so would presumably have no trouble finding a Premier League buyer, notwithstanding any attempts by Levy to demand £50m for him.

Kaboul has been a revelation this season. He's got it all really - strong, quick, good on the ball...he doesn't always get himself in the right position (he's yet another centre back who looks twice as good when alongside King) but he's still relatively young. He's a bit of an unsung hero with the credit for the defensive side of things mainly going to King, but he has been class this season and IMO is our best non-Ledley centre back now.

Yeah, Naughton has been impressive for us so far this season. He's keeping Martin out of the team (well, his prefered position anyway) which shows how well he's playing considering the Norfolk Cafu was a mainstay of the team since joining. The rumourmill over here has it that Naughton might be wrapped up for around 2.5M during this window, which would leave us another loan slot open for an attacking midfielder/winger. Who that is, only Lambert knows. :p

Alf
January 10th, 2012, 6:05 PM
Nah, pretty sure we want to keep him.

Ringo
January 10th, 2012, 6:12 PM

Big gob harry...

Gary Al-Smith (I don't understand the name either), who knows his shit when it comes to African footballers (and I believe knows a fair few personally), reckons it's a £5m clause so Newcastle would have to negotiate improved terms in order to get rid of the clause. He's looked class this season, £5m would be such a steal.

Also Cahill is taking #13 appaz. Silly rumours.

Simon
January 11th, 2012, 5:21 AM
Why would your fans care if he took 25? Jesus some fans are idiots.

Ringo
January 11th, 2012, 5:42 AM
Yeah...

MACE
January 11th, 2012, 5:45 AM
Some shirts are seen as sacred aren't they, and you have to 'earn' it. The number 7 at United for example. Obviously the 25 (because of Zola) is seen by the Chelsea fans as so, so to 'give it' it to Cahill is deemed as an outrage I'm guessing :\

Simon
January 11th, 2012, 6:12 AM
Stupid. Wenger's outlook is much better - give a sacred number to someone who cannot be compared to the legend in question, to relieve pressure. Gallas getting number 10 after Bergkamp left for example.

RFF Champ
January 11th, 2012, 6:35 AM
Yeah, Naughton has been impressive for us so far this season. He's keeping Martin out of the team (well, his prefered position anyway) which shows how well he's playing considering the Norfolk Cafu was a mainstay of the team since joining. The rumourmill over here has it that Naughton might be wrapped up for around 2.5M during this window, which would leave us another loan slot open for an attacking midfielder/winger. Who that is, only Lambert knows. :p

Didn't Leicester have a 3mil bid turned down in the summer? Adam Smith is apparently doing well at MK Dons and I like the look of him from the U21s. It'd be good to see him get a chance at Spurs if Naughton leaves.

TraXX
January 11th, 2012, 6:44 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/dani37pacheco/status/156786126768701442/photo/1

It seems Dani Pacheco enjoyed himself during last seasons stay in Norfolk. :chin:

Get Naughton signed up (he's staying with us Alf, suck it up son), then we can get Dani back. Good bit of business there. :yes:

Rip
January 11th, 2012, 7:27 AM
Carroll coming back seems to be starting to build momentum, swap for Ba latest I heard, oh and Bassong is the latest centre half linked although I think there's more chance of Keegan coming back!

And we've been offered Erdinc(g) by PSG after he knocked us back in the summer after we'd agreed £7m for him with the club, he's only started and scored once and Ancelotti wants rid of him.

Oh and one of my mates was at the reserves game yesterday and said Prior (the non-league lad) looked a bit out of it but finished his goal off well, no better than the kids we have on this showing though, although Sammy Ameobi left on crutches so he might get a chance as cover since he'll cost £50 and a set of strips.

Simon
January 11th, 2012, 8:14 AM
You sure he left on crutches and they weren't just his legs?

Winkle van Tinkle
January 11th, 2012, 9:28 AM
Samba to Spurs has been somewhat fucked by Warnock getting sacked.

Warnock wanted Bassong, and knew Spurs wanted Samba, so tried to force their hand by bidding for Samba. Now he's gone the bid is off the table as Hughes wants Alex from Chelsea.

turdpower
January 11th, 2012, 2:45 PM
Some shirts are seen as sacred aren't they, and you have to 'earn' it. The number 7 at United for example. Obviously the 25 (because of Zola) is seen by the Chelsea fans as so, so to 'give it' it to Cahill is deemed as an outrage I'm guessing :\

Michael Owen sort of throws a spanner in the works.

MACE
January 11th, 2012, 3:12 PM
He was clearly given it based on reputation and that he could 'handle it'. A lot of United fans, much like myself, were shocked he got given that number. Still don't think he should wear it. But then again, it's only a number.
I was expecting Nani to take it after Ronaldo left to be honest.

Alf
January 11th, 2012, 4:33 PM
Samba to Spurs has been somewhat fucked by Warnock getting sacked.

Warnock wanted Bassong, and knew Spurs wanted Samba, so tried to force their hand by bidding for Samba. Now he's gone the bid is off the table as Hughes wants Alex from Chelsea.

Is that from your source?

RFF Champ
January 11th, 2012, 4:42 PM
Hughes pretty much confirmed the Alex interest in his presser today.

Simon
January 12th, 2012, 10:31 AM
There's a rumour going around that Disco Benny and his lovely odd boots have a release fee in their contract, which Arsenal have matched :eek:

Alf
January 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Ridiculous rumour.

a) Who in England does release clauses?
b) Do you think Danny does release clauses?
c) It'd have to be a big clause
d) FUCK OFF DON'T STEAL MY BENNY

Andy
January 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I think you need to resurrect the Spurs thread for that sort of nonsense.

It looks like Pato is going to PSG too, just to kill another one of those rumours.

Beefy
January 12th, 2012, 1:08 PM
It'll be interesting to see how McEachran gets on at Swansea as he doesn't seem to have kicked on as people thought he would.

It'll also be interesting to see where Ravel Morison ends up now United have listed him.

MACE
January 12th, 2012, 1:47 PM
I think you need to resurrect the Spurs thread for that sort of nonsense.

It looks like Pato is going to PSG too, just to kill another one of those rumours.

Tevez to Milan deal has collapsed because Pato has snubbed PSG.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11679/7425429/Milan-fail-to-agree-Tevez-deal

Bennedy
January 12th, 2012, 2:12 PM
It'll be interesting to see how McEachran gets on at Swansea as he doesn't seem to have kicked on as people thought he would.

It'll also be interesting to see where Ravel Morison ends up now United have listed him.

McEachran has played about 20 minutes of Premier League football for us this season. I thought he would have got an opportunity under AVB. Obviously not, but I can see him doing a good job for Swansea.

Matthew
January 12th, 2012, 2:18 PM
why does no one have interest in luke rodgers? he is the man, i score with him all the time in fifa. :(

Beefy
January 12th, 2012, 2:28 PM
Luke Rodgers scored one of the best goals I've ever seen live, for Shrewsbury against Southend. He looked quality that day.

However he's also a massive cunt who let off fireworks in the face of a young girl and scarred her for life.

Matthew
January 12th, 2012, 4:20 PM
my type of guy

Second City Saint
January 12th, 2012, 4:45 PM
Well you are from Buffalo

Rip
January 12th, 2012, 5:09 PM
Confirmed bid in for Alex from Premier League club, I'm assuming it's QPR.

Everyone seems to be just waiting to see who moves first in this window, busy last day again?

Rip
January 13th, 2012, 5:27 AM
Ravel Morrison from ManU seems to be edging closer to our first signing, offer turned down on monday with second in yesterday, anyone seen this kid play, the websites seem to think he's bloody wonderful but if that's right why is Fergie getting rid?

Beefy
January 13th, 2012, 5:31 AM
Because he's a mental.

Read through this thread for lots of Morrison discussion:

http://forums.rajah.com/showthread.php?t=141469

RFF Champ
January 13th, 2012, 5:31 AM
Go and look at KMH's posts in one of the young player threads, it'll say it all in there. I think it's called 'Scouting'.

Beefy
January 13th, 2012, 5:34 AM
That's bloody helpful, Alex.

Rip
January 13th, 2012, 5:40 AM
Hells teeth he looks the part, can't imagine many sides would fancy him and HBA playing against them.

Being mental isn't a problem, we'll only keep him till he looks the part then sell him on before he implodes and everyone works out how to play against him (Andy *cough* Carroll)

*edit, just repped you out of habit Beef mate, cheers though :D

Alf
January 13th, 2012, 7:03 AM
He stole from the first team dressing room didn't he?

Maybe getting out of manchester would do him good but we've seen it time and time again. Wasted talent.

MMH
January 13th, 2012, 7:38 AM
Seems we are signing Darron Gibson for anywhere between 500k-2M.

Why we are signing another midfielder I have no clue.

Someone please tell me hes not as average as I think he is? He strikes me as a player hwho does bugger all but scores a few blinders. A bit like Bilyaletadinov.

McBain
January 13th, 2012, 8:44 AM
The next Nicky Butt.

As in...leaves United and becomes (even more) irrelevant.

Players like him rise to the occasion when surrounded by quality in my opinion. Really don't see him being the sort of player that will succeed out of that environment.

Winkle van Tinkle
January 13th, 2012, 9:02 AM
Likes to shoot more than Kolarov.

Rip
January 13th, 2012, 9:24 AM
He stole from the first team dressing room didn't he?

Maybe getting out of manchester would do him good but we've seen it time and time again. Wasted talent.

We have the same problem with Ranger, he looks the part but he can't stop being a dick, everytime he gets to the first team he blows it by getting pissed, fighting or calling his club captain a c*nt, we've just got him back from Barnsley but honestly now everyone seems to have reached the opinion he's ruined himself.

The Rosk
January 13th, 2012, 9:47 AM
Darron Gibson will always be dogshit.

Winkle van Tinkle
January 13th, 2012, 10:00 AM
DARRONNNNNNNNNN

RFF Champ
January 13th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I like Gibson and at that price it's a good signing. His shots aren't that good but you know Moyes will stop him doing that straight away, too much attacking intent. Newcastle were linked with him on deadline day in the summer and I thought we missed a trick by not signing him but we were lucky in that Guthrie showed some good form.

Gibson has a few CL performances to point to where he impressed, for example he looked very assured vs. Shalke last season. I think he has a good eye for a pass and plays some nice through balls. He's unfairly criticised at times.

turdpower
January 13th, 2012, 2:37 PM
Seems we are signing Darron Gibson for anywhere between 500k-2M.

Why we are signing another midfielder I have no clue.

Someone please tell me hes not as average as I think he is? He strikes me as a player hwho does bugger all but scores a few blinders. A bit like Bilyaletadinov.

His shooting is probably the best part of his game and he isn't even any good at that. Woefully inaccurate he shoots at least 10 times a game and will probably hit the target once.

Decent sideways passer, but is that really what you need?

RFF Champ
January 13th, 2012, 5:46 PM
Whenever I've seen him I've been impressed by his ambition to play balls for others to run onto, particularly wingers. His understanding with Valencia seemed good, for example.

turdpower
January 13th, 2012, 5:49 PM
He's basically Diet Michael Carrick, he's OK. he probably gets slagged off because he's clearly one of the worst United players but could probably do well for another team. Everton must be paying him a decent wage though because he turned down Sunderland for that reason and I didn't think Everton had any money.

RFF Champ
January 13th, 2012, 6:06 PM
Fergie said that Gibson's agent had let him down in the Sunderland negotiations which suggests that perhaps the Everton deal isn't so lucrative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDHLd2YFWQY&feature=player_embedded

This video supports my post about through balls quite nicely. It certainly wasn't the only one like that he did in that match.

Bennedy
January 13th, 2012, 6:10 PM
I love the way the commentator pronounces the team names.

da_man
January 13th, 2012, 6:32 PM
Darron Gibson might do okay for Everton. You don't get much for just over a million these days. Good move for both club and player.

Would have had him at Rovers in a heartbeat. We paid £2m for that donkey Petrified in the summer.

BBF
January 15th, 2012, 8:13 AM
Rumours that Eden Hazard is at the Newcastle Training Ground.

LOL

Alf
January 16th, 2012, 9:34 AM
We're being linked to Fletcher now. I'd take that.

RFF Champ
January 16th, 2012, 9:56 AM
Sources attached to news pleeeasse.

Simon
January 16th, 2012, 10:07 AM
We're being linked to Fletcher now. I'd take that.

Oh come off it Alf. He's not a bad striker but not good enough for what we need by any means. Then again we'd gain four points a season just on the goals the cunt scores against us.

Simon
January 16th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Steven fucking Fletcher.

RFF Champ
January 16th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Harry was discussing Crouch on Football Focus the other day and he said 'I larrvv Crouchy' but that he didn't fit into the way that Arry wanted to play anymore. He said with Crouch you have to get balls in the box either from wide or up high and they were trying to diversify.

Fletcher is more rounded than Crouch but operates on the same principles. For that reason it won't happen and the fact that it would cost a lot of money as it would practically condemn Wolves to relegation.

He's a good striker though and guarantees any team goals so it's a bit unfair to be so pompous about him particularly as he'd only be backup to Adebayor for the time being.

Rip
January 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Erdinc(g) and Cissokho seem to be the two we're linked with over and again right now, latest from a few seem to be that Cissokho is over here for a medical having missed the weekends game with 'a thigh injury' good enough player and I'm assuming it would mean Santon to right back and Simpson to who the f*ck cares...

Erdinc back on again, which is odd since he knocked us back in the summer and Pards keeps saying he only wants players who want to play for us (unless he's not involved in the deal as he claims with Morrison)

RFF Champ
January 16th, 2012, 10:34 AM
No chance we'll sign Cissokho. Why would we spend £8mil or whatever it will be on a left back? We don't need him and we wouldn't see much return on that. I'm sure we'll renew Simpson's contract, hope he gets a couple of England caps somehow and then see if we can mug someone off in the same fashion Boro did to Villa over Luke Young.

Rip
January 16th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Cahill completed, Alex off to QPR by the end of the day then?

I thought that with regards to Cissokho but he's only 24, french, and available for less than he's worth, all of which pretty much add up to a signing for us. Plus Santon has played right back for the under 21's and stated he is happy on either side (when Pards signed him I'm sure he comented on it as well) and with Simpson not being up to scratch it does sort of make sense.

Edit... We've extended Priors trial for this week but by the comments from Willie Donachie (Development Coach) he'll not be getting signed for us at the end.

Simon
January 16th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Harry was discussing Crouch on Football Focus the other day and he said 'I larrvv Crouchy' but that he didn't fit into the way that Arry wanted to play anymore. He said with Crouch you have to get balls in the box either from wide or up high and they were trying to diversify.

Fletcher is more rounded than Crouch but operates on the same principles. For that reason it won't happen and the fact that it would cost a lot of money as it would practically condemn Wolves to relegation.

He's a good striker though and guarantees any team goals so it's a bit unfair to be so pompous about him particularly as he'd only be backup to Adebayor for the time being.

He is not good enough.

Rip, what's wrong with Simpson? Very decent player IMO, rarely has a bad game. Cissokho's career has taken a hell of a nosedive since his breakthrough season, he was on the verge of a move to Milan until their medical staff decided that his teeth would lead to back problems later in his career :dunno:

I was posting on Twitter the other day during MOTD and thought I would mention two things on here that I said there, touts for worst and most underrated players in the Prem?

Warnock has to be one of the worst players around now. Every week he seems to get ripped apart. I mentioned this on Twitter and literally 10 seconds later he nearly fucked one into his own net under no pressure at all, Robinson had to bail him out with a great save.

Most underrated - James Morrison. He's such a tidy player, very economical with the ball but seems to create a lot for them as well. Even by the standards of accepted underrated players like Chris Brunt he seems to fly under the radar, I think he's class. If I was a wanker or had ever heard of his namesake pop songster, I'd say he was UNDISCOVERED.

Alf
January 16th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Oh come off it Alf. He's not a bad striker but not good enough for what we need by any means. Then again we'd gain four points a season just on the goals the cunt scores against us.

I think he'd be a cracking signing. His goal record is excellent for someone who has only really played in relegation teams. With the kind of service he'd get for spurs he could be brilliant.

For Burnley he played more with the ball coming to his feet than as the target man he is for Wolves. I think he's more versatile and more technically competent than Crouch. He's better than Pav.

He can hold it up, he can pass, he brings his team mates into the play, he can poach, he can head. His movement is good and his control is good. He can obviously score too.

He's an unfashionable name but as part of a team I think he'd be great. Much like how Brad and Scotty were unfashionable but have worked wonders. It's not all about the marquee signings (but I would like some of those too please).

RFF Champ
January 16th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Cahill completed, Alex off to QPR by the end of the day then?

I thought that with regards to Cissokho but he's only 24, french, and available for less than he's worth, all of which pretty much add up to a signing for us. Plus Santon has played right back for the under 21's and stated he is happy on either side (when Pards signed him I'm sure he comented on it as well) and with Simpson not being up to scratch it does sort of make sense.

Simpson is alright, I'm happy to have him in the side. He's made some decent goal saving clearances this season. I don't think it's worth 8mil to replace him though. Santon has looked really good at left back lately.

RFF Champ
January 16th, 2012, 10:50 AM
He is not good enough.

Care to elaborate?

He's got excellent technique, just look at some of his volleys. The disallowed goal he scored vs. Norwich was a beauty.

He's excellent in the air. His first touch is solid and the ball sticks to him. His goal record is outstanding.

I don't think he's ideal for Spurs at the moment because of the way that Bale seeks to come inside, I don't think Fletcher has the movement to cope with filling different spaces but he'd score goals undoubtedly.

I think that there's a real problem with perceiving good Premier League players as incapable of making the step up and the fans reaction is probably what puts more managers off. I notice Brendon Rogers has been taking similar potshots in a lot of his interviews this season.

Rip
January 16th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Simpson is alright, I'm happy to have him in the side. He's made some decent goal saving clearances this season. I don't think it's worth 8mil to replace him though. Santon has looked really good at left back lately.

Simpson scares me, whever someone runs at him he looks like he's about to snap and spear them into row Z, he's good chasing and he's decent enough on the ball but his attitude is terrible and he jumps on every chance to knock the club, although he has shut up in the last few months tbf.

Alf
January 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Care to elaborate?

He's got excellent technique, just look at some of his volleys. The disallowed goal he scored vs. Norwich was a beauty.

He's excellent in the air. His first touch is solid and the ball sticks to him. His goal record is outstanding.

I don't think he's ideal for Spurs at the moment because of the way that Bale seeks to come inside, I don't think Fletcher has the movement to cope with filling different spaces but he'd score goals undoubtedly.

I think that there's a real problem with perceiving good Premier League players as incapable of making the step up and the fans reaction is probably what puts more managers off. I notice Brendon Rogers has been taking similar potshots in a lot of his interviews this season.

Totally agree with the last part.

And Bale needs to stop coming inside and pretending to be a striker. He's been shit since he started doing it, and I think at the weekend he spent exactly 0 minutes as a left winger. Which, as one of the most promising left wingers in europe, is a bit fucking silly.

I think Fletcher would fit in our system really well to be fair. We can get the ball in and around the box no problem, the problem is finishing the moves off.

RFF Champ
January 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Totally agree with the last part.

And Bale needs to stop coming inside and pretending to be a striker. He's been shit since he started doing it, and I think at the weekend he spent exactly 0 minutes as a left winger. Which, as one of the most promising left wingers in europe, is a bit fucking silly.

I think Fletcher would fit in our system really well to be fair. We can get the ball in and around the box no problem, the problem is finishing the moves off.

Yeah, the Bale thing is a bit strange. The class goal he scored against Norwich suggested that it might but a good idea but it clutters the play and while BAE is good I don't think he is good enough to provide the extra ttacking impetus. It gives Modric and VDV less room too.

It's almost as if he's trying to play a Ronaldo-esque role but the beauty of much of Spurs play has been the pace at which they play at, made easier by the fact that the game is so stretched by having two wingers.

Alf
January 16th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I think part of it too is that everyone has sussed out Bale's game so they are trying to change it up a bit.

Simon
January 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Care to elaborate?

Not especially, I just don't see what he offers that isn't already well covered by the varying qualities of Adebayor, Van Der Vaart and Defoe.

This idea that anyone who doesn't rate players at lower level teams are armchair Sky simpletons is nonsense - he just isn't THAT good. There are plenty of good strikers at smaller clubs - Long and Odemwingie at West Brom for example, both of whom I would be happy enough with adding to the squad. I have long touted Moses at Wigan as being a real class act as well. It's nothing to do with being fashionable, we're not a bunch of dickheads who only get into football during the World Cup.

His record is hardly 'outstanding', at Premier League level he has 27 goals in 80 games, or 1 in 3 - good for a player at a lower division side, very respectable in general at Premier League level, but not outstanding.

We are in a position now where we are good bets to be playing in the CL next year, and outside bets to actually win the league (we won't, but we COULD). Where we fall short compared to the real elite is our lack of real depth up front - VDV and Adebayor are quality, Defoe is a good alternative, Pav is not up to the job. Compare that to City (Balotelli/Aguero/Dzeko/Silva/Nasri/Johnson vying for three spots) or United (Rooney/Welbeck/Berbatov/Hernandez vying for two spots) and we don't quite measure up. I don't see what the addition of Fletcher would change about that - if we have the money to go all out for a Remy or a Ba, why settle for Fletcher? We have the money to buy better.

Simon
January 16th, 2012, 11:17 AM
As for Bale, I think the idea is to get him involved more but as has been mentioned it doesn't really work as we already have VDV and Modric operating in similar spaces - with Bale coming inside as well it just gets too cramped. Saying Ekotto doesn't offer enough in attack is a bit harsh - a goal and an assist against Everton, and regularly involved in our build up down the left. Best left back in the Prem for my money now with Cole and Evra well and truly on the skids.

RFF Champ
January 16th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Not especially, I just don't see what he offers that isn't already well covered by the varying qualities of Adebayor, Van Der Vaart and Defoe.

This idea that anyone who doesn't rate players at lower level teams are armchair Sky simpletons is nonsense - he just isn't THAT good. There are plenty of good strikers at smaller clubs - Long and Odemwingie at West Brom for example, both of whom I would be happy enough with adding to the squad. I have long touted Moses at Wigan as being a real class act as well. It's nothing to do with being fashionable, we're not a bunch of dickheads who only get into football during the World Cup.

His record is hardly 'outstanding', at Premier League level he has 27 goals in 80 games, or 1 in 3 - good for a player at a lower division side, very respectable in general at Premier League level, but not outstanding.

We are in a position now where we are good bets to be playing in the CL next year, and outside bets to actually win the league (we won't, but we COULD). Where we fall short compared to the real elite is our lack of real depth up front - VDV and Adebayor are quality, Defoe is a good alternative, Pav is not up to the job. Compare that to City (Balotelli/Aguero/Dzeko/Silva/Nasri/Johnson vying for three spots) or United (Rooney/Welbeck/Berbatov/Hernandez vying for two spots) and we don't quite measure up. I don't see what the addition of Fletcher would change about that - if we have the money to go all out for a Remy or a Ba, why settle for Fletcher? We have the money to buy better.

Noone mentioned armchair fans or anything like that. It is a pattern though that players like Fletcher are disregarded as being able to make the step up when they are capable. Take Danny Guthrie, he was completely written off (by me, our fans, everyone) as ever being a Prem player but he has really shone this season.

We discussed it in the Zamora thread where an English striker was taking the piss in Europa League, defenders didn't have a chance. In that season he and Dzeko's goalscoring record and style of play were similar and one transferred for £30mil and the other is still a laughing stock. It's a sign of the problem. I didn't direct it at you though so I'm not sure why you've taken it as though I did.

A quick check of the stats says Fletcher has 9 goals in 13 starts and 3 sub appearances this year. That's an outstanding goalscoring record.

In his first season at Wolves he only started 15 games and at least 5 of those were at right wing and he still managed double figures and more crucially scored goals in big games that ultimately kept them in the division.

Alf
January 16th, 2012, 11:33 AM
You think Fletcher isn't good enough but then go on to mentione Ba? Remy is an unknown having not played in the prem, and would cost twice as much.

Ba doesn't look as comfortable as Fletcher, and yes, he's scoring lots in that Newcastle team, but I don't think he'd do as well with us... or anyone else for that matter (in a similar way Carroll could score loads for Newcastle but is gutter for Liverpool). Plus, after a few games the crowd would eat him alive.

If Adebayor gets injured we have no one that can do his job. Pav certainly can't. Again, not every signing needs to be about massively improving an area, signing Fletcher would give us another option up top. And improve our squad massively. Again, we don't have anyone to cover Ade should he break in too. No one.

Beefy
January 16th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I think you're being harsh on Ba who scored goals for West Ham as well. That's two different Clubs playing two different styles and he's done well in both.

RFF Champ
As for Bale, I think the idea is to get him involved more but as has been mentioned it doesn't really work as we already have VDV and Modric operating in similar spaces - with Bale coming inside as well it just gets too cramped. Saying Ekotto doesn't offer enough in attack is a bit harsh - a goal and an assist against Everton, and regularly involved in our build up down the left. Best left back in the Prem for my money now with Cole and Evra well and truly on the skids.

Take the context surrounding my point about BAE though, he's not exactly a motoring fullback. Do you think he would offer the same threat filling the space left by Bale as Bale himself would on a consistent basis? We've agreed the point about midfield crowding as a result of Bale going inside.

Simon
Ba scored loads for West Ham too, and was by all accounts very good in Germany - the only issue is over his knee, which seems to be manageable if not fixable. I don't think you're giving him enough credit as a footballer either, he's about more than goals - he's good technically, is obviously very strong and not as slow as he looks either. He's quite similar to Adebayor in a lot of ways, albeit maybe not as good technically.

RFF Champ
January 16th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Ba has gone around failing medicals but he's never actually had a bad knee that has stopped him playing for long. Ba is pure class, on another level to even Fletcher. His awareness and skill is something else.

Alf
January 16th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I think you're being harsh on Ba who scored goals for West Ham as well. That's two different Clubs playing two different styles and he's done well in both.

Oh, similar to how Fletcher has played differing styles for Burnley and Wolves and still scored goals?

Oh, what?!??! Booooom.

To be honest, the Ba thing is just personal. I've said it before, but whenever I've seen him play it's like everything he does is by accident.

If Fletcher was called Flemy or Stemba Fla or Fleetchinho then Si would be wanking over him the armchair wanker.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 16th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I remember Demba Ba getting rave reviews when Hoffenheim were amazing everyone in Germany a couple of years back. I don't know where Alf gets this "by accident" thing from, even besides his goals Ba is made for the English game in terms of his hold-up play and strength. His agent must be a fucking genius too to negotiate yet another superb get-out clause.

Alf
January 16th, 2012, 11:42 AM
He looks clumsy. He looks like Bamby on ice.

Andy
January 16th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Steven Fletcher needs to shave his head the baldy bastard.

Alf
January 16th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Samba has handed in a transfer request appaz.

Simon
January 16th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Nicky Bamby

Alf
January 17th, 2012, 7:47 AM
QPR have agreed a fee for Henrique... odd...

Ahh, wrong Henrique.

Simon
January 17th, 2012, 8:00 AM
That's definitely what you need in a relegation struggle, some South American kid with no experience.

Bennedy
January 17th, 2012, 8:05 AM
Probably a better option than Andy Johnson though.

Although you are right, they really do need an experienced face in there. This kid and Macheda won't be enough to save them.

MikeHunt
January 17th, 2012, 8:18 AM
spurs could do a lot worse than steven fletcher. the bloke has improved so much since leaving hibs and he was pretty quality then. infact outside of Addy there is no striker in the spurs squad that can match him at the moment.

i desperate for him and sfa/whoever to sort out the problems and get him back in the scotland squad.

RFF Champ
January 17th, 2012, 8:57 AM
Fuck knows why Levein hasn't just eaten some humble pie and contacted him. You can see how important Robbie Keane is to Ireland and Fletcher is similar in that he's a proven Premier League goalscorer. McCarthy said quite recently that Fletcher really wanted to play for Scotland soon.

Simon
January 17th, 2012, 10:01 AM
What is the story there then?

Lagom
January 17th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Fletcher was having some bench time under Levein, when he probably shouldn't have been, and was dropped from the squad after criticising Levein's tactics, so decided he didn't want to play under him again. One of them needs to tighten their grapefruits and make the first move, because he's the best all round striker Scotland have at the moment, and nobody wants to not play international football.

On another note, out-of-context or not, Moussa Sow has described scoring in front of the Kop 'the highlight of a career' and that Liverpool are a 'dream club'. I had thought all the rumours of Joe Cole being used as a sweetener for a deal to get Sow were baseless, but if he's interested in the club, and we need a goalscorer, it makes some sense that we try and use it.

RFF Champ
January 17th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Around the time that Fletcher was playing rightwing/on the bench for Wolves he was left out of the Scotland squad and he had a pop at Levein for not contacting him to explain the decision.

I think he was called up to the next squad but rejected it via text and the two haven't spoken since even though, as I say, Fletcher has expressed a willingness to return but he and Levein are both too stubborn to make the first move.

MikeHunt can probably say more but I know it was at a time where a few players were taking a pop at Levein, I think James Morrison did it too and Levein was quite dismissive of it. The problem has only arisen for him now that Fletcher has proven himself to be quite the goalscorer.

Simon
January 17th, 2012, 10:16 AM
We were looking at Sow the other day.

Lagom
January 17th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Do you think that Arry casting his eye pretty much everywhere is off-putting for your potential signings? It seems hardly a week goes by where you don't hear about him mentioning another clubs player in an interview, and it's like he's putting feelers out there to gauge these players' interest.

Simon
January 17th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Doubt it. On the list of priorities for a top footballer considering a transfer I think it would be pretty low down the list.

RFF Champ
January 17th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I think Lagom is onto something. SOF hammered those points about how unattractive Spurs will seem to some clubs at the moment a while ago but he was right. Even big money signings have been underutilised (Bentley and Kranjcar) and others seeking a payday are forced to stay.

'Arry tapping up everyone's strikers isn't going to do Spurs any favours if one is in negotiations with Spurs and A.Nother.

RFF Champ
January 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Ian Mcgarry is saying Chelsea are close to an agreement with Hazard.

And apparently Newcastle are in negotiations with Papiss Demba Cisse. You can't beat a big money attacking signing.

Simon
January 17th, 2012, 10:40 AM
SOF proved nothing, it was just a hypothesis. We miss out on players for numerous reasons - because we're not in the CL, because we don't offer enough money, because we're not as big as other clubs bidding. I don't see much of a rationale for assuming loads of players would turn us down because the manager talks about players he likes. Nor do I think many players would have the foresight or the necessary lack of self-esteem to already start worrying about not being allowed to leave when they flop before they've even signed for the club.

Scott Parker got well and truly burned at Chelsea, limiting what should have been a consistently successful career to a late twilight of a few years, and we were a club that already had three excellent central midfielders - if anyone was to worry about getting regular football and being allowed to leave if they weren't, wouldn't it be him? He was DESPERATE to join us.

Redknapp's bleating to the press is irritating for opposition fans and occasionally his own fans. I highly doubt his comments have any impact on a player's mindset when considering a transfer.

RFF Champ
January 17th, 2012, 10:52 AM
SOF proved nothing, it was just a hypothesis. We miss out on players for numerous reasons - because we're not in the CL, because we don't offer enough money, because we're not as big as other clubs bidding. I don't see much of a rationale for assuming loads of players would turn us down because the manager talks about players he likes. Nor do I think many players would have the foresight or the necessary lack of self-esteem to already start worrying about not being allowed to leave when they flop before they've even signed for the club.

Scott Parker got well and truly burned at Chelsea, limiting what should have been a consistently successful career to a late twilight of a few years, and we were a club that already had three excellent central midfielders - if anyone was to worry about getting regular football and being allowed to leave if they weren't, wouldn't it be him? He was DESPERATE to join us.

Redknapp's bleating to the press is irritating for opposition fans and occasionally his own fans. I highly doubt his comments have any impact on a player's mindset when considering a transfer.

It remains a hypothesis as much as yours remains a hypothesis?

I don't doubt that Spurs are a decent draw for players, Spurs are third in the Premier League, are well run, recently in the Champions League etc. but this 'hypothesis' exists and it could be significant.

Those players flopped but that doesn't consider that fact that they flopped because they don't get many opportunities. Any new striker (and his representatives) has to consider how many opportunities the player will get and with VDV, Defoe and Adebayor all playing regularly it's a concern. Then the fact that in the event they do they aren't going to be let go easily. The money you'd offer wouldn't be enough to turn a blind eye to that as it would with other clubs.

Parker's career was set back an awful lot by that one bad move to Chelsea. He didn't get recognition from his national side for a long time. Spurs offered the opportunity to stay in London on good money and with a familiar manager so the story can be manipulated both ways.

These things mentioned are off-putting for potential signings, noone said they would be entirely put off by it but it just goes to show that there are possibly more question marks about signing for Spurs than some of your rivals.

MMH
January 17th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I remember Demba Ba getting rave reviews when Hoffenheim were amazing everyone in Germany a couple of years back. I don't know where Alf gets this "by accident" thing from, even besides his goals Ba is made for the English game in terms of his hold-up play and strength. His agent must be a fucking genius too to negotiate yet another superb get-out clause.

He has a tremendous partnership with Vedad Ibsevic. Really potent.

Im surprised a team like Newcastle hasnt come in for him to reunite the strike force as Hoffenheim always seems eager to ship him out so probably wouldnt even cost much. He has injury issues to of course but he is worth a punt.

MMH
January 17th, 2012, 10:55 AM

And apparently Newcastle are in negotiations with Papiss Demba Cisse. You can't beat a big money attacking signing.

I wouldnt know.

We are trialing Edson Buddle.

Yay.

Simon
January 17th, 2012, 11:06 AM
It remains a hypothesis as much as yours remains a hypothesis?
Not really, it's common knowledge that players have not come to Spurs because we didn't bid enough, we didn't offer enough in wages or we just weren't a big enough draw. As far as I'm aware no one has ever confirmed that they didn't join us because Redknapp has a wandering eye or Levy might ask for some money if they ever want to leave.

I don't doubt that Spurs are a decent draw for players, Spurs are third in the Premier League, are well run, recently in the Champions League etc. but this 'hypothesis' exists and it could be significant.
I highly doubt it is significant. If a player had the choice between us and an exactly comparable team offering the same wages, the same opportunity for trophies, the same everything, then maybe it would come into play as a decider. But the list of more important variables makes it an irrelevance. Off the top of my head I would say wages, opportunity for trophies, the reputation of the club, the reputation of the league, the language/culture of the club's country, the location of the club, the reputation of the club's players, the possibility of playing alongside friends/countrymen, the history of the club...I could go on. All more important than these little theories.

Those players flopped but that doesn't consider that fact that they flopped because they don't get many opportunities. Any new striker (and his representatives) has to consider how many opportunities the player will get and with VDV, Defoe and Adebayor all playing regularly it's a concern. Then the fact that in the event they do they aren't going to be let go easily. The money you'd offer wouldn't be enough to turn a blind eye to that as it would with other clubs.
Why would that be different at any other club? Any potential signing will look at the club and wonder if he'll get regular football, it's not a mark against Spurs any more than it is a mark against any other club.

Parker's career was set back an awful lot by that one bad move to Chelsea. He didn't get recognition from his national side for a long time. Spurs offered the opportunity to stay in London on good money and with a familiar manager so the story can be manipulated both ways.
He is the most obvious and accurate example of a player who would have issues with joining us if the theories you mentioned held water.

These things mentioned are off-putting for potential signings, noone said they would be entirely put off by it but it just goes to show that there are possibly more question marks about signing for Spurs than some of your rivals.
Redknapp is incredibly well respected in the game and of course in the media. He would be a huge draw for a lot of players, especially English players, rather than a hindrance. Foreign players perhaps less so, but then they would be unlikely to know of his record for chatting to SSN through his car window. For all his faults, all things considered I would suggest that Redknapp is a draw for potential signings rather than a reason not to come.

Simon
January 17th, 2012, 11:07 AM
In any case, you only have to look at the players we have brought in since Redknapp took over and how well we have done to see how little value the theory has.

Lagom
January 17th, 2012, 11:18 AM
And what do you say to those who say Arry has a face like a melted welly?

Alf
January 17th, 2012, 11:19 AM
We were looking at Sow the other day.

At the Marseille vs Lille game?

We'd have trouble seeing as he didn't play due to ACN.

Simon
January 17th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Dunno, just remember hearing we were looking at a bunch of players and he was one of them. That said I do think it was that game so maybe I've just put two and two together and come up with five ridiculous reasons why no one would ever want to sign for Spurs.

Ringo
January 17th, 2012, 11:23 AM

Yeah, Ian McGarry is famous for consistently getting things wrong about Chelsea to the point that it has become rather amusing. Giovanni dos Santos signing a 5 year contract and AVB having "no interest" in joining Chelsea a couple of days before being unveiled come to mind. He also got fired from his newspaper job for writing blatant lies about Spurs.

RFF Champ
January 17th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Yeah, Ian McGarry is famous for consistently getting things wrong about Chelsea to the point that it has become rather amusing. Giovanni dos Santos signing a 5 year contract and AVB having "no interest" in joining Chelsea a couple of days before being unveiled come to mind. He also got fired from his newspaper job for writing blatant lies about Spurs.

Didn't know about the firing but it doesn't surprise. On the Monday Night Club he's got a Ballague-esque tendency to present his rumours as facts. He also said Van Basten was going to be Chelsea manager and Hughes would be Villa manager.

Still though, Hazard at Chelsea would be cool.

son_of_foley
January 17th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I think my point wasn't about players failing and wanting to leave but more about looking at modric ans thinking thats a bit shite of them. I don't think Scott parker dissproves anf that in the slightest. Certainly no more than demba ba signing for Newcastle who were very flexible with a prospective big move.

I think thats been dulled by the success and wont be as much of q concern. Harry's wandering eye wont have an impact

RFF Champ
January 17th, 2012, 12:20 PM
West Brom have bid for Ridgewell according to the Birmingham Express and Star.

Mik
January 17th, 2012, 5:12 PM
Alex, annoyed that you guys look set to sign Cisse as I knew we were interested in him the last transfer window. Had our fortunes been reversed I wouldve thought he'd be looking like signing for us this month. At the moment we seem so desperate to have someone who can regularly finish chances off. Shame Bruce let Gyan go out on loan really.

Im guessing him going means that you're going to be losing Ba...I fucking hope so anyway, with two goalscorers your lot could be on fire.

RFF Champ
January 17th, 2012, 5:47 PM
Alex, annoyed that you guys look set to sign Cisse as I knew we were interested in him the last transfer window. Had our fortunes been reversed I wouldve thought he'd be looking like signing for us this month. At the moment we seem so desperate to have someone who can regularly finish chances off. Shame Bruce let Gyan go out on loan really.

Im guessing him going means that you're going to be losing Ba...I fucking hope so anyway, with two goalscorers your lot could be on fire.

It's a really great signing, I don't think anyone expected a new expensive striker this month so for it all to be wrapped up in a day with no real rumours before that is wonderful.

I hope it doesn't mean we sell Ba. I hope that the ACN means we hold onto him and he and Cisse can stay together at least long enough to get us Europe next season, even if t will be a stretch.

turdpower
January 17th, 2012, 6:45 PM
Shame Bruce let Gyan go out on loan really.

Did he even have a say in the matter?

turdpower
January 17th, 2012, 8:06 PM
Alex to QPR seems mental to me. Alex looks a much better player that David Luiz, who cost 20m, yet Alex is affordable for QPR and NOBODY else comes in?

Beefy
January 17th, 2012, 8:09 PM
I agree. Alex is a great player.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 17th, 2012, 8:40 PM
I don't think Alex has been much better than Luiz this season when he has played to be honest. Although it is likely that if Chelsea sort out their defence, Alex would still have been useful whereas Luiz will still be a wanker for probably his entire life.

Bennedy
January 18th, 2012, 4:29 AM
Yeah, Alex is a good player. Not sure if he is good enough to be first team for us, but I am really surprised that other clubs have not come in for him. I think he and AVB must have had a bust up and it doesn't help that Villas Boas seems like the kind of guy that holds a grudge. He is a very cocky bastard.

RFF Champ
January 18th, 2012, 5:14 AM
Ned Boulting said before the game last night that negotiations between Alex and QPR aren't going smoothly.

Rip
January 18th, 2012, 5:37 AM
It's a really great signing, I don't think anyone expected a new expensive striker this month so for it all to be wrapped up in a day with no real rumours before that is wonderful.

I hope it doesn't mean we sell Ba. I hope that the ACN means we hold onto him and he and Cisse can stay together at least long enough to get us Europe next season, even if t will be a stretch.

Latest on the 'sell on clause' seems to be that it only comes into play in the summer, and then if we don't qualify for Europe, quotes for Ba at the ANC seem to suggest it's not a replacement but they're going to be in tandem at least till the summer :hyper: if we can get a good centre half now and not lose anyone this could be a bloody marvelous season for us...

RFF Champ
January 18th, 2012, 5:41 AM
I'll be sure to watch Senegal in the ACN now.

Rip
January 18th, 2012, 5:55 AM
Through your fingers, I was going to watch but now I don't think the nerves will take it!

RFF Champ
January 18th, 2012, 6:15 AM
Norwich have had a bid accepted for Jonny Howson. I love how Norwich are picking off the best players from the lower leagues and showing they can succeed at the top level.

Howson is a tidy player, it's a big setback for Leeds' promotion effort.

EDIT: Leeds also have Newcastle's old midfielder Matty Pattison on trial.

Alf
January 18th, 2012, 6:27 AM
Ah man. I'm getting jealous. Can I have a signing please lads?

Simon
January 18th, 2012, 6:34 AM
We don't really need one do we Alf? Obviously if the right player becomes available then we should go for it but I'm not desperate for a signing the way I have been previously - we're unlikely to be able to sign anyone who will significantly improve the side during January.

I'd be happy if we could sign a winger who can add some pace out wide as when Lennon/Bale are out we are stuck with Kranjcar or Rafa who, good as they are, aren't the quickest to say the least - so someone like Hoilett would be nice, but it's not an essential at this point. Same with a new centre back, great if we can get one in (Samba is nailed on for QPR as they are offering him mad wages apparently) but if not we aren't exactly short. The big thing is getting in another class striker, but that's unlikely to happen so it's more likely that we will need to be signing two in the summer instead.

Alf
January 18th, 2012, 6:41 AM
Yes, we need a striker. Can't really wait till the summer. We need to capitalise now.

Simon
January 18th, 2012, 6:46 AM
Who?

The Rosk
January 18th, 2012, 6:52 AM
You should buy Albrighton off us. Id love to see him do well in a positive club.

Alf
January 18th, 2012, 6:54 AM
Who?

You and Cunch apparently.

MikeHunt
January 18th, 2012, 8:18 AM
fletcher.

RFF Champ
January 18th, 2012, 10:49 AM
There's no chance of Spurs getting Fletcher this month. That'd be Wolves signing their own death warrant.

Simon
January 18th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Steven fucking Fletcher.

RFF Champ
January 18th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Steven more goals than Adebayor Fletcher

RFF Champ
January 18th, 2012, 4:29 PM
Moussa Sow has gone to Fenerbahce.

Bad Collin
January 18th, 2012, 4:35 PM
What about your dream Moussa :(

BBF
January 18th, 2012, 4:37 PM
Strange transfer.

TraXX
January 18th, 2012, 4:51 PM
Howson looks a tidy player. He's only 23 and captained Leeds before his injury. Our medical guys will run the rule over him, but if Lambert decides he's for us then the board will back him. £2M is the apparant fee, which could prove good business. Johnson will convince him to come too.

Next; we need another keeper to provide competition/cover for Ruddy whilst Rudd is injured. De Laet has gone back to Utd (perma crocked and, despite showing potential, is a bomb-scare at the back) which means a loan spot is open.

If Onouha is available for the £2.5M that's been rumoured then I'd love to have him at Carrow Road. Always thought he was a decent player. :yes:

RFF Champ
January 18th, 2012, 4:54 PM
I don't think anyone will get Onuoha this month as he's on City's bench. West Brom have pursued him for a while, I could see him going there in the summer.

TraXX
January 18th, 2012, 4:59 PM
Which is a shame (sitting on the bench). He needs to play football to develop. He's shown flashes of brilliance, and then he's out of the side. He hasn't been given any continuity which ends up putting too much preasure on him when he does play that 1 in 5/6/7. Get him to Norwich, and then he'll get in the England team! :wired:

Bluemoon
January 18th, 2012, 5:02 PM
I would love Onuoha to go to Norwich. I don't understand why Sunderland didn't get him.

RFF Champ
January 18th, 2012, 5:03 PM
It's his own fault really for publicly insulting Mancini a year or so back. Anyway, we have a dedicated Nedum Onuoha thread for all this chitchat.

Mik
January 18th, 2012, 5:03 PM
I can only imagine it was wages, cos I thought he did pretty well for us.

Ringo
January 19th, 2012, 4:19 PM
QPR have agreed a deal to sign Taye Taiwo from Milan appaz. Interesting. He'll be good fun I'm sure.

EDIT: Oh and it's a loan and Kia is his agent as well as Mark Hughes' and Onuoha's and Taiwo didn't want to leave Milan appaz.

Simon
January 20th, 2012, 12:07 PM
:lol: at Liverpool offering £10m for Defoe.

Alf
January 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM
QPR have agreed a deal to sign Taye Taiwo from Milan appaz. Interesting. He'll be good fun I'm sure.

EDIT: Oh and it's a loan and Kia is his agent as well as Mark Hughes' and Onuoha's and Taiwo didn't want to leave Milan appaz.

Is he the one who used to play for Marsielle? He was always quite good I seem to remember. What happened to him?

Lagom
January 20th, 2012, 12:14 PM
:lol: at Liverpool offering £10m for Defoe.

I don't know why they're even bothering, Levy will clearly want £100m+ for him, and then ask for him back 6 months later for forty quid.

Simon
January 20th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Yep exactly. Plus taking the Levy effect out he's still probably worth a fair bit more than that IMO. Under a normal chairman I reckon he'd still cost £15m-odd, under Levy a £10m bid would literally not even be noticed. I don't think Levy can physically see or comprehend figures of less than £15m. He wants £15m for Pavlyuchenko for fuck's sake. And £8m each for Bassong and Giovani. Mental.

Lagom
January 20th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Give him his Jew though Si, he'll get that, even if it is in a million installments, paid directly into his socks.

Beefy
January 20th, 2012, 12:30 PM
How much did he sell a younger, better Defoe for last time?

BBF
January 20th, 2012, 12:31 PM
£6m

Lagom
January 20th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I think it was around £6m, oddly enough

BBF
January 20th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Its alright, Tony, I've got this.

Lagom
January 20th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Its alright, Tony, I've got this.

turdpower
January 20th, 2012, 1:50 PM
It's*

turdpower
January 20th, 2012, 1:52 PM
It's*.

Lagom
January 20th, 2012, 1:54 PM
*It is.

Andy
January 20th, 2012, 2:00 PM
£10m seems fair enough to me as an opening bid. Nearly 30, not first choice. :dunno:

Fanny
January 20th, 2012, 2:03 PM
yeah I don't get the laugh-track from Simon on that to be honest.

turdpower
January 20th, 2012, 2:09 PM
I thought he was laughing at Liverpool bidding on any old dross.

Fanny
January 20th, 2012, 2:14 PM
ah, well, that's fair enough

Simon
January 20th, 2012, 6:26 PM
I was laughing at the idea of us letting him go for £10m. Beefy is right enough in mentioning how much we let him go for before, but 1) he wasn't better, he was comfortably worse than he is now, and 2) he was fourth choice at the time. He's third choice now, but with the acknowledgment that he will get more game time than most third choices because VDV can't play 90 minutes and is often injured, and the greater number of games that come with being in Europe and good enough to go further in the cups - when we sold him, we were poop IIRC.

Just to clarify I wasn't laughing at Liverpool's valuation, which is probably fair enough if he was at another club, but Levy just won't let him go for anything like that. Which as we've said before is good on the one hand, we never get stiffed on deals, but can also be shit when he insists on keeping deadwood like Gio, Pav etc unless we get a mad offer, and refuses to replace them until they've gone.

MMH
January 20th, 2012, 7:55 PM
Also why would spurs want to weaken their own squad to strengthen a team who could easily be considered as their rivals?

Bluemoon
January 22nd, 2012, 3:27 PM
Good move for both me thinks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16645060.stm

Bluemoon
January 22nd, 2012, 3:29 PM
Once again nothing will happen until 36 hours before the window closes, at which point 50% of the managers/clubs in the league will shit their collective pants, and attempt to panic buy. We might even be one of them. Redknapp is guaranteed to be linked with a few strikers on the last day too, including (but not limited to) Soldado, Negredo, etc.

Whilst sat in his Range Rover

Ringo
January 23rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
Bilyaletdinov off to Spartak Moscow appaz. I'm sure MMH won't be too upset.

Simon
January 23rd, 2012, 12:48 PM
It's been a weirdly quiet window so far, it doesn't even feel like it will particularly hot up on deadline day. Maybe lowered expectations are what we need, then we can all get excited when Fabrice Muamba moves to West Brom or Wigan manage to sign Stephen Kelly on loan.

Ringo
January 23rd, 2012, 12:55 PM
All this talk about Willian at the moment. Appaz we asked if €20m would be enough and were told ABSOLUTELY NOT. Seen a bit of him in the CL, but not been overly impressed. He looks GAS and can finish, but not as potentially brilliant as Hazard and the like.

Still, it's clear we need a winger/player who can comfortably feature on the flank so this is a good sign at least. Hazard, Götze and Neymar can't all go to Real and Barca, can they? :(

Simon
January 23rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
I'd Hazard a guess that they've all Gotze end up at top clubs, and loads of kids will end up with their Neymar-n the back of their shirt

Fuck the only bit that really worked there was the Hazard bit, didn't think it through

Ringo
January 23rd, 2012, 1:00 PM
I'm Willian to let that one go, Simon.

Slare
January 23rd, 2012, 1:04 PM
THAT WAS THE DROGS BOLLOCKS THERE SIMON

Slare
January 23rd, 2012, 1:04 PM
What are you talking about Simon?

Well i was tr.....IT DOESNT MATA WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT SIMON.

Lagom
January 23rd, 2012, 1:05 PM
Andy Carroll is shit.

Lagom
January 23rd, 2012, 1:05 PM
Oh, that's not really worked, has it?

Slare
January 23rd, 2012, 1:06 PM
Its LUCAS like it

Slare
You should be feeling suicidal after that one KUYT KUYT COLLAPSE.

Slare
That one was fucking brilliant.

MMH
January 23rd, 2012, 1:58 PM
Bily to Spartak Moscow for 2.5M

Fuck off Everton (Again)

The Rosk
January 23rd, 2012, 2:10 PM
Good return on that investment there.

turdpower
January 23rd, 2012, 2:16 PM
How much did you sign him for? 10?

MMH
January 23rd, 2012, 2:19 PM
Yeah 9-10M.

Now the figure seems to be anywhere up to 7M (which is madness as he is awful).

Either way the bank will be chuffed im sure.

RFF Champ
January 23rd, 2012, 2:31 PM
I'll always remember his time in England for the screamer he scored against Wolves last season.

UK Blue
January 23rd, 2012, 2:44 PM
He smashed in a screamer against us once, too.

StevieV
January 23rd, 2012, 6:30 PM
Once again nothing will happen until 36 hours before the window closes, at which point 50% of the managers/clubs in the league will shit their collective pants, and attempt to panic buy. We might even be one of them. Redknapp is guaranteed to be linked with a few strikers on the last day too, including (but not limited to) Soldado, Negredo, etc.

Whilst sat in his cell

Ringo
January 23rd, 2012, 6:41 PM
YUS, regular chats with 'Arry over the course of deadline day through the bars in his cell!

turdpower
January 23rd, 2012, 6:45 PM
Gruel is a great little meal, I'd love a bit of gruel for breakfast, sure. But I don't want to be talking about gruel while it's still on someone else's plate.

MACE
January 24th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Owen to Brighton? Lol

BRIGHTON are preparing an audacious bid to land Michael Owen.
The Championship club want to bring the Manchester United striker to the Amex Stadium to help their quest for the play-offs.

United would demand only a nominal fee for the striker, 32, who they signed for free from Newcastle in 2009.

Owen has always said he would not be prepared to slip down the leagues.

But the chance of regular football with Gus Poyet's ambitious side might appeal.

Owen's chances at Old Trafford are limited even when he is fit. Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck, Javier Hernandez and Dimi Berbatov are all ahead of him in the pecking order.

He has started just 18 games for United and come on as a sub a further 34 times, scoring 17 goals.

Simon
January 24th, 2012, 10:39 AM
The same rumour came up during the summer. Brighton are minted now so they could afford him, if Owen had any actual interest in playing football it wouldn't be a bad move.

UK Blue
January 24th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Whether Owen has any interest anymore is irrelevant since he's now physically unable to play football. They would just be paying him to sit in the treatment room. He's broken, for good.

Simon
January 24th, 2012, 12:18 PM
They would just be paying him to sit in the treatment room.

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/javaImages/f6/11/0,,10433~9966070,00.gif

RFF Champ
January 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM
The same rumour came up during the summer. Brighton are minted now so they could afford him, if Owen had any actual interest in playing football it wouldn't be a bad move.

Why are they minted? Did they get taken over or something?

Simon
January 24th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Yeah this local dwarf poker player called Tony 'The Lizard' Bloom took them over, put up £93m for the new stadium and has since ploughed some serious money in for a club of that size.

They broke their transfer record twice in a month during the summer, first signing Will Buckley for £1m, thenCraig Mackail-Smith for over £3m, which doesn't sound much by Prem standards but for a club that were really at a low ebb over the past 10 years it's mad money. I think their previous record signing was £250k for Colin Kazim-Richards, and they only afforded that because one of their fans won that Coca-Cola competition where a random draw would win a punter a quarter of a million towards a transfer for his/her club.

Forgot to mention, I'm going to Brighton/Newcastle on Saturday, skeet skeet nigga!

Simon
January 24th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I was about to edit that post and clarify that he isn't actually a dwarf, but looking at photos I'm not sure now:

http://media.cardplayer.com/image/t/TonyBloom_Large_-2.JPG

http://newsfrombrighton.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Tony_Bloom.jpg

http://junglemagazine.com/img/people/short-people/short-people01.jpg

Beefy
January 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Wasn't there some sort of cap on the investment he was putting in beyond the stadium though? As in he offered £3.5m for the Club to spend how they wanted and they used it to buy CMS. I'm sure I remember reading that. I don't think the Club itself is minted.

Simon
January 24th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Possibly, I don't know much beyond the basics tbh - he paid for the stadium and they've spent some serious short-term money on transfers and long-term investments on quite high wages. Funnily enough their best player is Liam Bridcutt who they got on a free, proper class act - surprised he hasn't been linked with a move back to the Prem. Maybe he just loves playing alongside Mauricio Taricco.

Alf
January 24th, 2012, 1:23 PM
Taricco still plays?

Simon
January 24th, 2012, 1:25 PM
Yep, he was assistant to Poyet for a while, came out of retirement and now he's a squad regular I think but doesn't play all that often.

Taricco made a return to professional football while Assistant Manager at Brighton and Hove Albion. After not playing for six years he started at left back for an FA Cup clash between Brighton and Woking.[2] Taricco was sent off for a second bookable offence after 105 minutes.[2] Brighton went on to win the game on penalties.[2] Taricco once again retired from professional football on 3 October, 2011. [3] He came back out of retirement when he played against Birmingham City on 29 October.[4] Taricco was sent off again, this time receiving a straight red card, during the 3-0 away defeat to Championship League leaders Southampton on 19 November.[5] [6]

Beefy
January 24th, 2012, 1:26 PM
Are you aware that there are more than 20 teams who play football in England, Alf?

Simon
January 24th, 2012, 1:29 PM
Bit harsh, he was retired for six years.

turdpower
January 24th, 2012, 5:56 PM
Are you aware that there are more than 20 teams who play football in England, Alf?

Obviously, there's the teams that used to be in the Prem.

Palace, Forest, Southampton etc.

Simon
January 25th, 2012, 8:25 AM
Giovani's gone to Villarreal apparently, permanent deal. Shame it never worked out for him.

Alf
January 25th, 2012, 8:27 AM

He retired years and years ago. Sorry I'm not a statto cunt who keeps track of who plays for every team.

And lower league football is fucking shit.

Beefy
January 25th, 2012, 8:30 AM
Brighton have been on TV loads . I've paid no attention to them and don't keep track of them or anyone other than Southend and I knew he was back playing. He's pretty high profile.

Alf
January 25th, 2012, 8:40 AM
Obviously not.

UK Blue
January 25th, 2012, 8:51 AM
I have a poster of Mauricio Taricco on my bedroom wall. Next to Britney Spears.

turdpower
January 25th, 2012, 2:07 PM
Did your eye ever slip to Britney when you were wanking?

StevieV
January 25th, 2012, 2:25 PM
hahahahahaha.

Also how did you get a ticket to the newcastle game you cunt simon?

Simon
January 26th, 2012, 5:37 AM
I can get tickets for any Brighton home game through three different contacts :D

Rip
January 27th, 2012, 7:39 AM
All gone a bit quiet on the transfer front really, we look to be trying for Mariappa agin but could be a busy last day again at this rate...

Alf
January 27th, 2012, 7:49 AM
There's a swap in the offing with Villareal appaz. They are skint, they really want Gio.

No idea what player their end we'd be after... or who they'd be willing to let go in exchange for gio.

Simon
January 27th, 2012, 8:01 AM
I thought that was referring to Nilmar? Can't imagine we would get a straight swap though, I thought Gio was being paid for partly by a dodgy South American group like Tevez at West Ham.

Alf
January 27th, 2012, 8:03 AM
Can't imagine it'd be Nilmar. Maybe a down-payment on Rossi?

Fuck knows.

RFF Champ
January 27th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Woy has confirmed the baggies are in talks over a loan move for Szabolcs Huszti from Zenit. MMH?

He also discussed that they've been pursuing Pavel Pogrebnyak but won't be signing him this month however he is out of contract in the summer.

Simon
January 27th, 2012, 12:07 PM
A few big-ish moves on the continent - Moussa Sow has gone from Lille to Fenerbahce, Lazio are on the verge of signing Keisuke Honda from CSKA, Erdinc (who Newcastle were chasing for ages) has gone from PSG to Rennes and Vedad Ibisevic has moved to Stuttgart from Hoffenheim. Other than that there's been fuck all really and it doesn't seem like there is going to be much more to come - I'm sure there will be a few moves on deadline day but there doesn't seem to be a major deal on the horizon that would kick things on, and even if there was you'd wonder if there would be enough time left to really see a lot of action.

I would be stunned if we signed anyone at this point. Gio leaving is about as busy as we look likely to be - even Pav, Jenas, Bentley and the rest look likely to stay for now, and incoming deals look even less likely.

Andy
January 27th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Surprised no one else is in for Honda.

Alf
January 27th, 2012, 12:23 PM
How much did Sow and Honda go for?

Surprised we didn't at least have a punt.

Rip
January 27th, 2012, 1:28 PM
Alex to PSG for £4.2m

MMH
January 27th, 2012, 2:23 PM
Woy has confirmed the baggies are in talks over a loan move for Szabolcs Huszti from Zenit. MMH?

He also discussed that they've been pursuing Pavel Pogrebnyak but won't be signing him this month however he is out of contract in the summer.

Huszti is a good player, very talented but very lightweight as well so I dunno how he would fare over here. He reminds me slightly of someone like Yossi Benayoun.

He retired from internationals when he was 26 or something mad though. Decent goalscorer though.

I would love us to sign Pogrebnyak. He would be ideal for how we play but we wont sign him of course.

Gary J
January 27th, 2012, 4:25 PM
I wonder if anyone will try to bring in Shaqiri now his move to Galatasaray has collapsed.

Gary J
January 27th, 2012, 4:31 PM
How much did Sow and Honda go for?

Surprised we didn't at least have a punt.

Sow went for £8.4m i'm surprised a few more teams didn't come in for him at that price. Honda is supposedly off for around £14m

Ringo
January 27th, 2012, 5:30 PM
Keisuke Honda is class! I WANT HIM.

turdpower
January 27th, 2012, 5:54 PM
I smell a series of footballer/car puns.

Ford Kaka

Don CLUTCHinson

Bad Collin
January 27th, 2012, 8:23 PM
Jason McAGEAR

Winkle van Tinkle
January 27th, 2012, 8:39 PM
tim brake-er

Winkle van Tinkle
January 27th, 2012, 8:40 PM
paul parker

Bad Collin
January 27th, 2012, 8:41 PM
Steve McManavan

Winkle van Tinkle
January 27th, 2012, 8:42 PM
Kieron Tyre

Pablo Diablo
January 27th, 2012, 8:44 PM
Park Ji-Sung, although that's too easy.

Winkle van Tinkle
January 27th, 2012, 8:48 PM
Gear-on Dyer

Grimario
January 27th, 2012, 8:54 PM
Surprised SCS hasn't chimed in with STUART HOLDEN or something.

Bad Collin
January 28th, 2012, 6:24 AM
Windscreen Bogarde

Grimario
January 28th, 2012, 6:31 AM
Mi-car Richards

Peter Griffin
January 28th, 2012, 6:34 AM
kia Joorabchian