PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Christopherson
September 1st, 2011, 6:27 AM
Well I didn't know any of that stuff about Redknapp but feck me that is big gamble Levy is taking. Could easily go tits up.

MACE
September 1st, 2011, 6:33 AM
Keeping Modric was a terrible decision, especially rejecting 40m!
His head is clearly up his arse and he doesn't want to play for Spurs anymore. I bet he's a shadow of the player he is this season.

I'd have taken that 40m and reinvested in January.

If I was a Spurs fan I'd be really disappointed in general with the lack of quality signings.

I think you'll struggle to 6th this year.

Alf
September 1st, 2011, 6:41 AM
I don't see how Chelsea singing Mirelessesessrehhshhshhshsh impacts them wanting Modric. They still need midfielders. And I don't buy this 'if he doesn't play well for 6 months they won't want him', if anything that drives our asking price down and Modric gets his move anyway.

However, Modric might just knuckle down and work hard. You never know. He's been in a war for fuck sake.

Ringo
September 1st, 2011, 6:49 AM
Yeah, Meireles comes in to take Benayoun's spot. We still need a midfielder.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2011, 6:49 AM
Can you explain this Alf? All the forums seem to be saying the same thing and I just don't really understand it. Obviously we haven't had the excitement of the mad dash at the finish or a sudden unexpected signing like VDV, but I think we've had a really good window.

We've signed the top class striker we needed, a more reliable goalkeeper to genuinely compete for a first-team spot and last year's player of the year...in a perfect world we'd have got another top striker in and maybe signed Gary Cahill but neither of them were essential signings. We also managed to keep all of our best players despite having no Champions League football to offer.

All things considered I think we've markedly improved our squad:

Crouch out --> Adebayor in
Palacios out --> Parker in
Pletikosa out --> Friedel in
Hutton out --> Walker in
Jenas out --> Livermore in

The first three are obvious improvements who will be good enough to go straight into the team, the latter two remain to prove themselves but neither have too much pressure on them to be regular first-teamers with Corluka still here and numerous midfielders ahead of Livermore.

The other players we've got rid of - Keane, Bentley, Woodgate, O'Hara - were not part of the squad anyway. I can understand a touch of disappointment that, having got those wages off the bill and brought in a fair bit of money, we haven't gone and splashed on another top player, but who was available?

Keeping Modric and Bale and signing Parker and Adebayor will do me just fine. I said this on the Spurs forum and got slated but I think it's true - if we'd waited until 10.58pm last night to sign Adebayor, everyone would be delighted with our window.

I completely agree with this. It's overdramatic to say it's a disaster.

All you guys have been talking about for last season was how much you needed a top class striker and you've got one. Your backup strikers in Defoe and Pav are as good as anyone else has got and you've held onto your key players.

Kaboul, Gallas and Dawson have shown they are all good enough to be competing for where you want to be, so there isn't much need for Cahill. Kyle Walker offers an entirely new attacking dimension, Sandro is another year settled and Bale has had a full pre-season.

Alf
September 1st, 2011, 6:56 AM
I didn't say it was a complete disaster did I? I said I was disappointed.

Adebayor can be class. He can also be a lazy bastard. If he has a dip in form we have to rely on Defoe and Pav. And like I said, with VdV out we'll likely go to a 442, leaving us a bit limited up front.

King is crocked, Gallas is crocked. Dawson only performs well when paired with one of those two. Kaboul can be brilliant, he can also lose concentration (see the City game). I see Kaboul as more of a mega solid right back. Walker is defensively awkward. I'd have brought in a new, solid, immense, unbroken CB to pair with Daws, then have Kaboul and Walker sharing the RB spot.

Sandro is injured. When he comes back I hope he starts because he is lovely. I love him. Modric, as people have said... might not have the heart for this season.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. But for me, after the last load of windows where we've failed to capitalise on our momentum, it has been another disappointing window where we could have made signings to give us a push. Last summer was pretty criminal, last Jan was also pretty awful, this summer has been more of the same.

eldanielfire
September 1st, 2011, 6:56 AM
Man U - Indians
Arsenal - Africans
Liverpool - Scandinavians
Spurs - Eastern Europeans and Jews

Eh? Eastern europeans always have an Arsenal shirt on, they love that shit.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2011, 7:07 AM
I didn't say it was a complete disaster did I? I said I was disappointed.

Adebayor can be class. He can also be a lazy bastard. If he has a dip in form we have to rely on Defoe and Pav. And like I said, with VdV out we'll likely go to a 442, leaving us a bit limited up front.

King is crocked, Gallas is crocked. Dawson only performs well when paired with one of those two. Kaboul can be brilliant, he can also lose concentration (see the City game). I see Kaboul as more of a mega solid right back. Walker is defensively awkward. I'd have brought in a new, solid, immense, unbroken CB to pair with Daws, then have Kaboul and Walker sharing the RB spot.

Sandro is injured. When he comes back I hope he starts because he is lovely. I love him. Modric, as people have said... might not have the heart for this season.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. But for me, after the last load of windows where we've failed to capitalise on our momentum, it has been another disappointing window where we could have made signings to give us a push. Last summer was pretty criminal, last Jan was also pretty awful, this summer has been more of the same.

Just got that vibe from the way you've been posting.

There's plenty of goals in the team. Pav and VDV both got double figures last season, I think Ade should get double figures this season. Bale is good for a few goals and I doubt Defoe will have as poor a season as last year.

One or both of Gallas and King will be back for Wolves.

It's always been about a striker and they've delivered. You have a very good squad.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2011, 7:14 AM
I think it's also worth mentioning that the teams who look like challenging the top 6 or 7 such as Everton, Fulham, Villa etc. haven't had very good summers and those who probably have done the best business like Bolton and Stoke still haven't got squads close to Spurs.

Your squad is streets ahead many others and will be in the top 6 which is the level Spurs are challenging at currently. Top 4 is possible but not a definite which is about all that can be expected next to the other clubs' spending power.

Alf
September 1st, 2011, 7:17 AM
Pav is fucking terrible. He scores despite himself.

He scored 9 league goals last season.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2011, 7:19 AM
Gignac went nowhere? wassupwidat?

MMH
September 1st, 2011, 7:35 AM
Pav is fucking terrible. He scores despite himself.

He scored 9 league goals last season.

9 league goals is bad?

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2011, 7:52 AM
If Chelsea had banged in that supposed £40 million offer at the start of the summer, maybe they'd have Modric. Waiting until the last minute to offer that was moronic on their behalf and would have been fucking stupid of Spurs to accept it. Chelsea low-balled Spurs at the start of the window and unsettled the player first before coming in with an offer that makes some sort of sense in today's market. Of course it's the standard way of doing things, to a certain extent, but Modric has let himself down badly because, for all his talk of an agreement with Spurs, it took a long time for Chelsea to come up with a bid that was approaching an acceptable valuation. I'm glad Spurs have hung on to him now, instead of being bullied in to accepting a fee lower than they want. If a club doesn't want or need to lose a player, they should at least get an extra large fee representing that fact.

Andy
September 1st, 2011, 8:26 AM
I don't see how Chelsea singing Mirelessesessrehhshhshhshsh impacts them wanting Modric. They still need midfielders. And I don't buy this 'if he doesn't play well for 6 months they won't want him', if anything that drives our asking price down and Modric gets his move anyway.

Exactly. Like the big clubs are suddenly going to lose interest if he doesn't bother for the next four months.

I think Arsenal and Spurs have both had pretty poor windows.

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 8:43 AM
We have fairly obviously not had a poor window. How can keeping your best players, losing only one player of real consequence (Crouch) and signing a proven top class striker as a replacement for him along with a proven Premier League goalkeeper and last year's player of the year be considered a bad window? Madness. If that's a poor window, what would you say would have been a good window for us?

Comparing us to Arsenal is especially crazy, they have lost their two best players, replaced them with inferior versions and are relying on two defenders with no Premier League experience to come good straight away. I actually think Mertesacker and Santos will be good signings but the side is undeniably weaker, ours is improved.

Andy
September 1st, 2011, 8:52 AM
Well ours is worse than yours yeah, I just don't find your signings particularly impressive. Adebayor is 50/50. Might be class, might be complete shit. Might do well for a few months, might fall out with Harry, might fall out with the fans, might fall out with Pavlyuchenko if he is too shit for his liking a la Bendtner.

I rate Parker but I'm not sure what he brings to your squad. I think he would've been a much better fit for us. Sandro was starting to look really good last season and I've always rated Huddlestone. He's a good player but I'm just not convinced that he improves your first XI. Great squad player regardless though.

Yes you kept yur best players, but at what cost? I think you're kidding yourself if you think Modric will suddenly hit the heights of last season now that the window is shut. If he does, it'll take a while. You said yourself that VDV was overrated last year, and I don't think Bale had a particularly impressive league campaign last season. If those three hit the ground running (though there seemed no sign of that in the first two games) then your squad looks quite strong.

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 9:05 AM
All this talk of Adebayor being inconsistent and the like - it's true, but only in the context of him going from being unbelievable to being alright. Even if he's not interested he's still a greater goalscoring threat than Crouch or Defoe.

Since he joined Arsenal he's scored 88 goals in 157 starts (plus 48 sub appearances) - the guy scores goals wherever he's gone. Seven in seven starts at Madrid last season, important goals as well. I agree that he is a frustrating player, which is why City got shot of him - but he is a huge improvement on what we had, and that's the key. All through last season I said that a top striker (and he is one) would make a huge difference as we have so many creative players but no one to put the chances away. Now we've got that player.

Andy
September 1st, 2011, 9:20 AM
Through all the madness, two qualities Wenger has added in this window are experience and pace. I guess that puts us in a similar position to you in the sense that, people may turn their nose up at the signings, but they are exactly what people have been crying out for. We've signed a club captain with 70+ caps for Germany, the South Korea captain and a Brazilian international defender with a load of experience. Plus in Benayoun and Arteta we've signed players with huge experience in the Premier League. In addition to that we've added Gervinho, Chamberlain, Miyaichi and Santos where before we really relied on Walcott to provide the width and pace.

Our signings have not been bad by any stretch of the imagination but had we got things done a bit earlier I feel we could've been in a much better position. I would've preferred Jose Enrique at left back for the same price for example. I think we should've really gone for Gary Cahill in addition to Mertesacker, we should've just gone the extra mile to get Juan Mata done. If we'd got these deals done quickly we could've spent the last few days of the window going for a real marquee signing or another player up front where we're still short. Even if we'd done all that we would've come some way short of spending our entire budget.

So overall, no bad signings, but this window could've been a lot more productive. I thnk all it's done is ensured we'll be in the mix for fourth. We're by no means certain to get it. There's a theory doing the rounds (similar to the Spurs one mentioned) that Wenger will be off at the end of the season and wants to leave as much money as possible to his successor. Not sure that I buy that one. Who knows. Really not sure what to make of any of it at the moment.

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 9:24 AM
Your signings haven't been bad, but they aren't up to scratch compared to who you've lost. That's not entirely your fault as you're not in a position to replace Fabs with someone of similar class, but the money that's come in should have meant you could make massive improvements elsewhere. Gervinho looks like he MIGHT be a good replacement for Nasri given time, but Arteta is by no means an adequate replacement for Fabregas.

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2011, 9:28 AM
Arsenal already have Ramsay, he looks like he could be a more than adequate replacement for Fabregas in time. Arteta and Benayoun simply offer a bit of class, experience and strength in Arsenal's midfield. Both good signings, Arsenal's midfield now looks pretty strong.

Canuck
September 1st, 2011, 9:46 AM

What's the deal here. Are loan moves over now with the transfer deadline as well? Not quite sure how it works.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2011, 9:48 AM
What's the deal here. Are loan moves over now with the transfer deadline as well? Not quite sure how it works.

No more transfers or loans for Premier League clubs so it's fair to say he won't be coming to England.

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 10:08 AM
Just want to point out that I said Modric would stay, Fabs and Nasri would go and Tevez would stay weeks ago.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ERpU9U_SoTs/TWAqpcrU1VI/AAAAAAAACLU/4dQ9TEpbyKM/s1600/olmeg.jpg

Beefy
September 1st, 2011, 10:18 AM
Where did you predict Tevez?

You've ruined that run now though by predicting Spurs finishing above Arsenal.

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 10:30 AM
I believe I said that I didn't have a clue about Tevez but if I had to guess, he would stay.

I do think we will finish above Arsenal. Looking at it as objectively as I can, I think we have a better first team and squad than them now. Whether that translates to results, who knows...put it this way, I'm more worried about Liverpool than Arsenal right now, by a long way.

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2011, 10:34 AM
If the players were all fit I'd rather have Arsenal's squad. That is a pretty massive 'if'. It's just a pity for Arsenal that Arshavin and Chamakh don't seem to be in the slightest bit arse because they both have the ability.

Beefy
September 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM
Spurs have a great squad but they underperformed last season and I don't see anything to suggest that they won't underperform again this year (although they'll benefit from being out of the Champions League). I can't see them finishing above Arsenal.

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2011, 10:44 AM
I'd also much rather have Arsenal's manager.

MMH
September 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM
Im in the Spurs will finish above Arsenal camp.

And I dont even think Spurs will have a particularily good season.

Alf
September 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM
Surely if we underperformed last season and underperform this season then it is just our 'perform'.

We under performed season before last too. We had some right shit results.

Andy
September 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM
I still wonder what those comments from Redknapp must have done to the likes of Modric, VDV and Bale. What was it he said, the fans should be grateful because this is the best we can do? Something like that.

Alf
September 1st, 2011, 10:48 AM
We'll just play this lad and do all the winning.

Taken from Skysports.com

Latest under our scout's gaze is Tottenham starlet Souleymane Coulibaly - recommended by Sky Sports reader Simon McHale.
The scout reports...

Souleymane Coulibaly is the latest hot young African striker, like so many before him labelled the new Didier Drogba.

Some labels on young players are tough for them to handle, the label of the new Drogba on Coulibaly is pretty much just wrong.

That is not to say that he could not emulate the Chelsea striker's success - he quite possibly could - it is just that he is not really a similar sort of player.

Drogba is all about power, pace and finishing - and whilst those are attributes Coulibaly possesses, he has more to his game.

Coulibaly is brilliantly skilful and could even play as an out-and-out winger if his finishing skills were not so pronounced.

Born in Ivory Coast, as a young teenager Coulibaly fled the war-hit country with his father to Italy.

Not long after his arrival in Italy, Coulibaly was spotted by Siena and snapped up. He progressed with speed through their youth system and was part of the Under-19 system last season.

But the real trigger for the interest in Coulibaly has come from his performances with Ivory Coast's youth side as he excelled at the Under-17 World Cup where he scored a remarkable nine goals.

After picking up the golden boot in Mexico, that led to a host of clubs from around the world taking a keen interest with Manchester United and Real Madrid both said to be leading the chase.

But Tottenham moved quickly to agree terms with Siena and they paid around £2million for the youngster.

The scout says...

Looks a remarkable talent, full of energy and skill and it was no surprise most of Europe was chasing him.

He is now settled at Tottenham at a young age, and they are very good at looking after young talent - Coulibaly is one to watch very closely in the coming few seasons.

The Scout rating...

Shooting: 9 out of 10

Passing: 7 out of 10

Tackling: 6 out of 10

Heading: 7 out of 10

Pace: 9 out of 10

Vision: 7 out of 10

Current ability: 7 out of 10

Potential ability: 10 out of 10

OVERALL SCOUT RATING: 62/80

Current value: £2million

Potential value: £30million

Andy
September 1st, 2011, 10:52 AM
Just seen Arteta's missus :drool:

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 10:55 AM
Is he still with Kim Bauer?

http://24.neoseeker.com/w/i/24/thumb/1/16/Kim_and_rick_day1.jpg/200px-Kim_and_rick_day1.jpg

Can't see it all that great there but the guy who kidnapped her at the start of season one of 24 is a fucking ringer for him.

Andy
September 1st, 2011, 11:02 AM
You think everyone looks like everyone though.

Andy
September 1st, 2011, 11:04 AM
Did Stoke really spend over £20m on Crouch, Palacios and Jerome by the way? Unbelievable.

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 11:05 AM
You think everyone looks like everyone though.

You look like a ballbag covered in shit.

Andy
September 1st, 2011, 11:07 AM
A dead ringer for your mum too.

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM
Your mum thinks a dead ringer is when her arsehole goes numb from the pummeling I give it.

Alf
September 1st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Ahaha, lovely stuff.

Beefy
September 1st, 2011, 11:17 AM
Is he still with Kim Bauer?

http://24.neoseeker.com/w/i/24/thumb/1/16/Kim_and_rick_day1.jpg/200px-Kim_and_rick_day1.jpg

Can't see it all that great there but the guy who kidnapped her at the start of season one of 24 is a fucking ringer for him.

Speaking of look-a-likes, has anyone else noticed that Wojciech Szczesny looks like a slightly younger version of The Miz?

RuneEdge
September 1st, 2011, 11:19 AM
Luka Modric kinda looks like David Guetta.

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 11:21 AM
I've always thought he looks like Cruyff. Went on Google to find a photo of Cruyff to show it, and handily there is a ready made comparison:

http://sp2.fotolog.com/photo/18/25/52/futbol_humano/1245696711708_f.jpg

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2011, 11:25 AM
Surely if we underperformed last season and underperform this season then it is just our 'perform'.

We under performed season before last too. We had some right shit results.

I think it's a bit unfair on the players to say that finishing fourth and then getting to the knockout rounds of the Champions League is underperforming. You beat both Milans! that'd make my season right there.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2011, 11:29 AM
The scout Tor-Kristian Karlsen has done a small evaluation of the English teams business on twitter and the only positive thing he had to say was about Parker to Spurs. He says Ruiz was shite last season and has only performed under McClaren and he also laid the boot into that scary looking guy that Everton have signed.

Alf
September 1st, 2011, 11:29 AM
I think it's a bit unfair on the players to say that finishing fourth and then getting to the knockout rounds of the Champions League is underperforming. You beat both Milans! that'd make my season right there.

I think you'll have to stop doing this very broad sweepy, sound-bitey, snap-shot view thing.

We played some horrfic football last season and got some really shit results. We also had some incredible results. But a handful of decent results doesn't make up for generally poor performances.

Alf
September 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM
I've always thought he looks like Cruyff. Went on Google to find a photo of Cruyff to show it, and handily there is a ready made comparison:

http://sp2.fotolog.com/photo/18/25/52/futbol_humano/1245696711708_f.jpg

Cruyff looks like Russel Howard there too.

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 11:33 AM

Broadly speaking it was a successful season, but we were more than capable of finishing at LEAST fourth again. The results we picked up against the bottom five over the course of the season were scandalous. Even a mediocre set of results against those teams would have seen us comfortably into fourth and possibly even fighting for second.

Wigan (H) 0-1
West Ham (A) 0-1
Birmingham (A) 1-1
Wolves (A) 3-3
West Ham (H) 0-0
Wigan (A) 0-0
Blackpool (H) 1-1

Winning those three home games alone would have put us back in the CL.

Beefy
September 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM
But all teams can say that. That's football.

RFF Champ
September 1st, 2011, 11:39 AM
Broadly speaking it was a successful season, but we were more than capable of finishing at LEAST fourth again. The results we picked up against the bottom five over the course of the season were scandalous. Even a mediocre set of results against those teams would have seen us comfortably into fourth and possibly even fighting for second.

Wigan (H) 0-1
West Ham (A) 0-1
Birmingham (A) 1-1
Wolves (A) 3-3
West Ham (H) 0-0
Wigan (A) 0-0
Blackpool (H) 1-1

Winning those three home games alone would have put us back in the CL.

Oh absolutely, I agree but it's a shame that here we are a season after talking about how the team underperformed when you've had two of the best seasons Spurs have seen in a long long time. Including certain games that were probably the highlight of your time supporting Spurs.

How many of those games came days after Champions League games and could be considered as a direct result of that? I know the wolves one was on a Sunday but not sure if it was a little late in the season.

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 11:45 AM
But all teams can say that. That's football.

Of course, and I'm not saying we deserved to finish in the top four - but as a fan it's impossible to be truly happy with an ostensibly successful season if dropping points in the 'easiest' games costs you so much more.

This ties in again with the importance of us signing a top class striker. I've said this before but my theory about the dropped points against weaker teams last season is that we found ourselves in a difficult position where we were good enough that teams were scared of us and would play defensively, but not good enough to break down those stubborn defences, because in those games you don't create as many chances and you have to be clinical when they do come along.

We showed against the top sides that we are more than capable of matching them - beating Arsenal and Liverpool home and away, drawing with Chelsea/City/United at home and losing narrowly to each away. If Adebayor now gives us the cutting edge to put away the weaker teams, then we're laughing.

Beefy
September 1st, 2011, 11:49 AM
I don't think you should be happy with last year. Chances are it was the most realistic chance you'll ever get in your lifetime of Tottenham finishing in the top two and you blew it.

I just don't think it's individual results that you should be looking at. You got poor results in select games because those were a bigger sign of an inconsistency and lack of experience of dealing with going to Milan in midweek then Bolton at the weekend. For the squad that you had and the problems other teams were having you should have done a lot better than you did.

Alf
September 1st, 2011, 11:53 AM
Actually matey, the shite results came in weeks when we weren't playing the CL. That old favourite gets trotted out every time because it's a pundit's safety net. It just ins't factually correct.

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 11:53 AM
Oh absolutely, I agree but it's a shame that here we are a season after talking about how the team underperformed when you've had two of the best seasons Spurs have seen in a long long time. Including certain games that were probably the highlight of your time supporting Spurs.

Without a doubt, but with success comes ambition - we had a taste of the Champions League and liked it, so of course it's frustrating when results you feel you should have got see you miss out the next year. If anything, those great days make it MORE frustrating because we know we could have been having them again this season.

On top of that we do obviously recognise that as a second tier team, we have to be in the Champions League in order to keep our players - we got lucky this summer, but if we don't qualify this season then Modric and Bale will undoubtably be off, and we'll have to rebuild again.

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2011, 11:59 AM
Last season was a massive wasted opportunity for Spurs, that is the main problem. It's hard to see them ever being that close to Man City or Chelsea for some time. It's tough to see Manchester United being so vulnerable away from home this season. Liverpool completely shat the bed last year. The league is different now, had Spurs got a CL position for a second year running they'd have most likely not have had any problem with Modric this summer and been in a better position to strengthen the squad. That said, this happened directly because the management didn't use the previous year's qualification to strengthen the necessary areas of the team. It's a pity that CL qualification matters so much to whether a team can realistically challenge at the top of the table but that's the way it is. It feels like that was Spurs big chance and they've blown it now. I think they'll finish behind both Liverpool and Arsenal and then they'll have real problems summer.

Ringo
September 1st, 2011, 11:59 AM
I think we should be alright for third, some way behind the Manchester clubs but comfortably ahead of the 3 clubs fighting for 4th. However, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a bit of bad luck with injuries and found ourself getting dragged into it. I'm pretty happy with the transfer window, because even though we still don't have that creative force through the middle or a proper right winger we have bought well for the future and are surely about to experience something of a transition phase as the Lamps & Blacks era ends. Just hope AVB gets a chance to do that if we miss out on trophies this season.

Definitely backing Arsenal for fourth by the way.

Beefy
September 1st, 2011, 12:04 PM
Actually matey, the shite results came in weeks when we weren't playing the CL. That old favourite gets trotted out every time because it's a pundit's safety net. It just ins't factually correct.

You got hammered by Bolton (even if the scoreline didn't ultimately look like a hammering) days after one of the Inter games.

I don't think it really makes a difference when the fixtures were. The point stands. The fact that you got good results against huge Clubs and shit results against smaller clubs suggests more to me a wrongful set of priorities and maybe an ill-founded arrogance. Both of which are down to poor management.

Canuck
September 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM
United
City
Chelsea
Tottenham
Liverpool
Arsenal

k?

Edit: I actually think Tottenham will grab 4th this season. They seem to have strengthened their main weakness, as long as Ades puts in a bit of effort. I don't imagine Modric will be a complete cunt and will play decent enough. Bale, although not producing much, looks pretty good when I saw him. Friedel looks solid. Looks to be set to do a bit better than last season. Arsenal look to be worse. Liverpool look improved, but I think in the end Tottenham will be above them.

Alf
September 1st, 2011, 12:33 PM
You got hammered by Bolton (even if the scoreline didn't ultimately look like a hammering) days after one of the Inter games.

I don't think it really makes a difference when the fixtures were. The point stands. The fact that you got good results against huge Clubs and shit results against smaller clubs suggests more to me a wrongful set of priorities and maybe an ill-founded arrogance. Both of which are down to poor management.

It makes a difference when the fixtures were if you use that as an argument. It's wrong to suggest we had those bad results because we couldn't handle being on the road mid-week. Your point about arrogance/bad management is much more spot on.

And Cappy hits the nail in the head there. A massive, massive, massive missed opportunity with it's foundation in poor transfer windows.

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 2:03 PM
Fucking Tottenham.

MACE
September 1st, 2011, 3:02 PM
United
City
Chelsea
Liverpool
Arsenal
Spurs

Ringo
September 1st, 2011, 3:16 PM
Woy dropped Tamas for Meite as he was deemed not good enough last season yet he's now a first teamer. Really surprised they haven't gone for Onuoha or another decent centre half.

Was thinking about this, how about Craig Dawson? Isn't he meant to be pretty highly rated there? Maybe Woy thinks he's ready to step up and replace Tamas?

Gary J
September 1st, 2011, 3:17 PM
Time for Billy Jones to step up and be the player he was on FM.

Andy
September 1st, 2011, 4:34 PM
SSN now reporting Crouch went to Stoke for £12m. 12 MILLION POUNDS!

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 4:54 PM
That's the Levy effect.

I think I am right in saying that Crouch is the first player Redknapp has bought and then sold for a profit since he joined us.

Keane - bought for £12m, sold for £3m
Palacios - bought for £12m, sold for £8m
Chimbonda - bought for £3m, sold for £2m

Would have been worse but he didn't manage to push through the £4m deal for Bassong (bought for £9m).

Also notable that the majority of players he's wanted to keep were already here when he arrived (Modric, Bale, Lennon, Assou-Ekotto, Dawson, Huddlestone), and most of the players he's wanted rid of are ones he bought (Crouch, Kranjcar, Keane, Palacios).

turdpower
September 1st, 2011, 5:02 PM
Hasn't Redknapp bought Crouch 3 times now?

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 5:06 PM
Bought him for Southampton, Pompy and Spurs I think?

turdpower
September 1st, 2011, 5:34 PM
Yeah, exactly. I find it odd that HE would be the one to leave.

Simon
September 1st, 2011, 5:35 PM
Redknapp claimed it was a simple case of him being the one people were interested in and he needed to get one of the strikers out. He's the closest to Adebayor in style as well I suppose.

turdpower
September 1st, 2011, 5:40 PM
I don't believe a thing Redknapp says to the media to be honest mate. Crouch is always brilliant for a plan B or C. I think he should have shipped off Roman.

El Capitano Gatisto
September 1st, 2011, 5:43 PM
I was reading the Wesley Sneijder story on Sky Sports there about moving this summer, I noticed this comment from a reader that really made a startlingly good point:

bob says September 1, 2011 4:06pm

Sorry we missed the boat. Had he joined us (MAN U) the EPL games would have sharpened the soccer anticipatory co ordinations required of team mates.

Fanny
September 1st, 2011, 9:05 PM
amazing insight

Second City Saint
September 2nd, 2011, 12:40 AM
Either Levy has the world's biggest balls and expects Chelsea to go back in with an even bigger offer in January, or he's an absolute moron. Allegedly turning down £40m for a player who doesn't want to play for the club anymore? Can't see him getting an offer like that again.

Or Modric suddenly has a change of heart and goes back to being class... but that looks unlikely at this point.I'm of the opinion £40 million would be a good payment for Modric but I'm glad it wasn't another Berbatov.

If Modric's smart, he'll be a good little boy and just play. He plays well enough, he might just force Chelsea to meet Spurs demands. If he just sulks and half-asses it, Chelsea might decide to stick with what they've got or look elsewhere and he'll fuck himself over from that perspective. But if he does end up moving, I really hope he takes a good look at Jon Obi Mikel and learns what's it's like to act like a professional. The man's father was kidnapped yet he made himself available to play (no one would've thought negatively if he hadn't) yet Modric can't be bothered cause he fancies a move to another club.

http://sp2.fotolog.com/photo/18/25/52/futbol_humano/1245696711708_f.jpgIsn't he a big Cruyff fan, hence the hair being similar and wearing #14?

eldanielfire
September 2nd, 2011, 4:07 AM
Haha Bendtner vows never t come back to ARsenal and claims it's all Wenger's fault somehow:

http://www.espn.co.uk/espn/sport/story/109037.html

Rip
September 2nd, 2011, 4:08 AM
Well it wasn't going to be his now was it.

son_of_foley
September 2nd, 2011, 4:10 AM
Nicky B will do well this year

RFF Champ
September 2nd, 2011, 4:19 AM
Was thinking about this, how about Craig Dawson? Isn't he meant to be pretty highly rated there? Maybe Woy thinks he's ready to step up and replace Tamas?

It's a good point. He scored twice for the U21s last night but didn't have much to do so I've never seen him in a proper game. He must be better than Tamas though.

eldanielfire
September 2nd, 2011, 4:19 AM
Well it wasn't going to be his now was it.

I genuinely wonder wat it must be like to be in the head of somebody who genuinely can't accepttheir own faut or flaw in anything regardless of the actual evidence reality presents.

McBain
September 2nd, 2011, 4:44 AM
That likeness of Modric/Cruyff is spooky.

Alf
September 2nd, 2011, 5:13 AM
I don't believe a thing Redknapp says to the media to be honest mate. Crouch is always brilliant for a plan B or C. I think he should have shipped off Roman.

Totally agree.

Beefy
September 2nd, 2011, 6:48 AM
Carlton Cole to Galatasaray, apparently. Are they not subject to the transfer window?

Ringo
September 2nd, 2011, 6:50 AM
Their window closes on Monday.

turdpower
September 2nd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Oh FUCK OFF. Really?

Beefy
September 2nd, 2011, 12:35 PM
:lol:

Mik
September 2nd, 2011, 5:28 PM
To be fair, Bendtner hasnt been given many opportunities in the last year and a half or so and Arsenal HAVE needed some physical presence up front.

Not saying that he's right though. Just seems to me that they werent a good fit.

The Rosk
September 2nd, 2011, 6:31 PM
Mik.50 quid Bendtner WILL NOT score 15 Prem goals.

Fanny
September 2nd, 2011, 7:19 PM
make it 12 and I'll go 30 with you Rosk

Mik
September 2nd, 2011, 8:00 PM
Mik.50 quid Bendtner WILL NOT score 15 Prem goals.

10 for £20.

Fanny
September 2nd, 2011, 8:23 PM
11 for £25

Andy
September 2nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
Bendtner will do well at Sunderland, I'm sure of it. 12-15 PL goals.

Winkle van Tinkle
September 2nd, 2011, 10:40 PM
his biggest asset is his biggest flaw.

dont get me wrong, he's great at shaking it off when he fucks it up and has 100% faith in his own ability. But the flip side to that is that he always believes its someone elses fault and doesn't learn from his mistakes.

Hes capable, and could be excellent; but until he realises that at the moment hes not showing any of what he believes he has, then he'll waste his career.

Keano's Magic Hat
September 3rd, 2011, 9:12 AM
A couple of people who post on Redissue were at a private dinner where Sir Bobby Charlton was the speaker a couple of days back, and apparently he said that Sneijder's greed just took the piss. Some of his demands included United buying his home in Milan, and him being given the number 10 shirt and captaincy :lol:

Ringo
September 3rd, 2011, 3:42 PM

Marseille striker Andre-Pierre Gignac has revealed his frustration at being prevented from completing a deadline-day switch to Fulham, which broke down after Amauri refused to move to l'OM.

:dunno:

Although apparently Amauri turned down about 8 clubs as Juve desperately tried to get shot of him and Luca Toni.

Keano's Magic Hat
September 3rd, 2011, 7:53 PM
A couple of people who post on Redissue were at a private dinner where Sir Bobby Charlton was the speaker a couple of days back, and apparently he said that Sneijder's greed just took the piss. Some of his demands included United buying his home in Milan, and him being given the number 10 shirt and captaincy :lol:

looks like this is true

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Wesley-Sneijder-Manchester-United-move-could-happen-in-January-says-Inter-Milan-star-article794819.html

not completely unexpected given how arrogant he supposedly is, but still a bit annoying

1_Pablo_Angel
September 4th, 2011, 1:33 AM
I thought it was all a Glazer inspired smokescreen?

1_Pablo_Angel
September 4th, 2011, 1:36 AM
Here's a few. Players Villa NEARLY SIGNED - Juninho (Doug haggled over half a mil - said the guy didn't command the extra cash because he hadn't played in England before)

Robbie Keane - Pre Italia. Again, rumour was Coventry wanted half a mil more than deadly wanted to pay. The difference might even have been 100k, I've heard various stories.

Frank Lampard - DITTO

:(

turdpower
September 4th, 2011, 6:05 AM
Park Chy Young has got to go back and do National Service before 2013 or something, be very annoying if he actually looks good.

Bad Collin
September 4th, 2011, 6:08 AM
Can't he do it in the summer?

turdpower
September 4th, 2011, 6:11 AM
Would Arsenal WANT that?

Winkle van Tinkle
September 4th, 2011, 6:30 AM
Park Chy Young has got to go back and do National Service before 2013 or something, be very annoying if he actually looks good.

Thats why we paid something around £2m. It goes up to about £6m if he gets out of it. So he just has to win an olympic medal, or get out of it through some extraordinary talent thing.

Winkle van Tinkle
September 4th, 2011, 6:32 AM
looks like this is true

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Wesley-Sneijder-Manchester-United-move-could-happen-in-January-says-Inter-Milan-star-article794819.html

not completely unexpected given how arrogant he supposedly is, but still a bit annoying

he probably saw how much ferguson bent over for rooney, so thought he would try his luck.

Keano's Magic Hat
September 4th, 2011, 8:20 AM
I thought it was all a Glazer inspired smokescreen?

Still was. Find one of the greediest, most arrogant players in world football and offer him a contract in which he'll have to agree to a 50k (!) a week wage cut. Yeah, good luck :rolleyes:

He's just another in a long line of players that we apparently 'tried' to sign. File him alongside the likes of Ozil and Benzema.

As for Winkle's post. Rooney signed the contract that was initially offered to him in the summer. Fergie's press conference was a thinly veiled calling for Manchester's finest to go round Rooney's gaff and scare the ever living shits out of him. It worked :cool:

El Capitano Gatisto
September 4th, 2011, 1:31 PM
Sneijder was pretty open all along that he wanted to stay in Milan, so why wouldn't he ask for ridiculous terms to leave? That's hardly being greedy, it's what any of us would do, I imagine, if someone was trying to convince you to leave a job you're very happy with.

Simon
September 4th, 2011, 1:42 PM
The captaincy/#10 demands smack of someone who's already decided not to join and wanted something funny to entertain the Inter dressing room with.

turdpower
September 4th, 2011, 1:51 PM
That's not exactly massively funny.

"Lads, I asked for number 10 and the captaincy!"
"AND?"
"They said no."

Simon
September 4th, 2011, 2:17 PM
Jesus you are a joyless cunt sometimes. You don't think the Inter lads would find it funny if he told them he went into the boardroom of one of the biggest clubs in the world and made a list of ridiculous demands just to take the piss?

El Capitano Gatisto
September 4th, 2011, 2:31 PM
I can remember when Sneijder was being pushed out of Real Madrid that he said he didn't want to leave Madrid but if he had to go, he didn't want to move to England. It was obviously going to have to be a pretty stunning offer to get him to move, as it did to get him to go to Inter in the first place.

Simon
September 4th, 2011, 2:34 PM
I wonder how far he'd have gone if United kept acceeding to his requests. The next one was probably something about never being on Park's team in training.

El Capitano Gatisto
September 4th, 2011, 2:40 PM
I thought he'd end up going just because Inter may want rid of him off the wagebill so would grease the wheels a bit but I suppose Eto'o's weird move made it not such a big deal. I'd rather have Eto'o personally.

Simon
September 4th, 2011, 2:43 PM
There is a great screenshot knocking around that someone took of SSN reporting on his move. It's a list of how much Sammy earns per year/month/week/day/hour/minute/second, with a photo of him looking like the happiest man in the whole world.

Simon
September 4th, 2011, 2:45 PM
60p a second he earns. Mad.

turdpower
September 4th, 2011, 2:50 PM
3.60 an hour?

Pfft. I'm on more than that.

Simon
September 4th, 2011, 2:56 PM
In the time it takes me to moan about how much money Eto'o earns, Eto'o earns enough money to have me killed.

Winkle van Tinkle
September 4th, 2011, 3:08 PM
60p a second he earns. Mad.

3.60 an hour?

Pfft. I'm on more than that.

:scared:

RuneEdge
September 4th, 2011, 3:09 PM
:lol:

Winkle van Tinkle
September 4th, 2011, 3:09 PM
As for Winkle's post. Rooney signed the contract that was initially offered to him in the summer.

where'd you read that?

Keano's Magic Hat
September 4th, 2011, 3:22 PM
Sneijder was pretty open all along that he wanted to stay in Milan

No, he wasn't. There's a video interview knocking about from a couple of weeks back in which he flat out says that if United are interested he wants to join. His good friend and journalist Van Der Kraan (or something) has repeated the same thing over and over again; Sneijder would rather play for United this season..

..but obviously not enough to accept such a hefty wage cut. That's fair enough. Asking for the number 10, captaincy and United to buy his Milan home is a bit ridiculous, though.

Andy
September 4th, 2011, 3:35 PM
I think Simon is right here. IF that's true, he must've been on the piss take. He may be arrogant, but he can't be stupid enough to genuinely think those demands might be met.

Keano's Magic Hat
September 4th, 2011, 3:37 PM
Don't know, he does seem like a bit of a cock:

At breakfast with the Dutch national team, Wesley Sneijder called out to Piet Velthuizen, goalkeeper of a small Dutch club: “Hey, Piet, how much do you earn?” Velthuizen proudly replied: “€400,000.” “Don’t you think it’s funny,” asked Sneijder, Inter Milan’s playmaker, “that I make 20 times as much as you?”

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/420a6860-1d8d-11df-a893-00144feab49a.html?ftcamp=rss#axzz1X0wrdXnl

El Capitano Gatisto
September 4th, 2011, 3:42 PM
No, he wasn't. There's a video interview knocking about from a couple of weeks back in which he flat out says that if United are interested he wants to join. His good friend and journalist Van Der Kraan (or something) has repeated the same thing over and over again; Sneijder would rather play for United this season..

..but obviously not enough to accept such a hefty wage cut. That's fair enough. Asking for the number 10, captaincy and United to buy his Milan home is a bit ridiculous, though.

I haven't seen any interview like that, seems like it would be pretty big news if it were out there. The most I've seen him say is basically admitting the possibility it could happen in an interview a while ago. Any public statement he has made has always been that is happy to stay at Inter.

Keano's Magic Hat
September 4th, 2011, 3:48 PM
I haven't seen any interview like that, seems like it would be pretty big news if it were out there. The most I've seen him say is basically admitting the possibility it could happen in an interview a while ago. Any public statement he has made has always been that is happy to stay at Inter.

Publicly stating that he would be happy to stay at Inter is (and certainly was in this case) the smart thing to do.

As for the interview:

Wesley Sneijder - I would like to join Manchester United - YouTube

Interviewer: 'We're standing here now, but If Manchester calls and they want to have you, you would immediately say yes, won't you?'

Sneijder: 'Yeahh, but Manchester hasn't called officially.'

El Capitano Gatisto
September 4th, 2011, 3:53 PM
I don't know about that, there's possibly some poetic license being taken with that interpretation. To me it's as if he basically said "United haven't asked me" rather than saying "I would definitely go there." Again, pretty much every interview he has given, he has stated he is happy in Milan.

RFF Champ
September 5th, 2011, 1:49 PM
"Last Tuesday I was asked by the club to come and talk with my agent. We were told l'OM wanted to sign a forward so they would then be listening to offers for me," he told L'Equipe.

"We were told about Olympiakos and Fulham. I decided to listen to the London side. We went there and immediately we felt their interest was concrete and serious. We were interested. We spent the evening with coach Martin Jol and his wife.

"On Wednesday we had a medical. It was a wonderful welcome. So on Wednesday it was all okay. Fulham agreed with l'OM.

"At 11:30 pm they called me to say I have to go back to Marseille because my forward replacement would not come! I was in London so called to help l'OM sign a forward, but it could not be resolved.

"Three minutes after calling me to come back to Marseille, I was called again as there was an opportunity to go to Sunderland. I could not reply yes to Sunderland and no to Fulham, because l'OM just made the decision of a swap deal with Gyan!

"At Fulham they wanted me. I didn't see anyone at Sunderland. I'm not a mercenary. I'm not angry, but I have a bitter taste in my mouth.

"I've already talked to Didier Deschamps. He knows what I'm thinking. We spoke like two adults without resentment or hostility, even if what happened is not great.

"I have no problem. They couldn't sign a forward, but I am happy to be at Marseille. I know my worth. I will set the record straight. I am not useless as I've read. I have desire to show I am the forward they looked for."

Gignac claiming that Sunderland agreed to sell Gyan to Marseille with Gignac coming the other way. Pinch of salt and all that but interesting nonetheless.

El Capitano Gatisto
September 5th, 2011, 2:50 PM
Unfortunately for him, he is certainly pretty useless.

Keano's Magic Hat
September 6th, 2011, 8:22 AM
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1457998_manchester-united-eye-raid-on-teen-titan-ross-barkley?all_comments=1

RFF Champ
September 6th, 2011, 9:31 AM
Wolves are trying to get James Mcfadden in on trial. Not a bad idea because he'd be a better 4th choice attacker than Sam Vokes.

RFF Champ
September 10th, 2011, 1:22 PM
Steve Bruce said in his post-match interview that Gyan and his agent shook Bruce's hand a couple of days ago and said he was going to stick around, get fit and compete for a place and now he hears he's fucked off to UAE for the cash.

To quote Simon on Modric, he just didn't seem the type. They'll have to go in for Mcfadden now :D

Keano's Magic Hat
September 10th, 2011, 1:25 PM
how does that work, considering he's contracted to Sunderland?

RFF Champ
September 10th, 2011, 1:26 PM
What do you mean? I doubt Sunderland would let him go unless it was a favourable deal for them financially and Gyan will get a load of cash while on loan.

Keano's Magic Hat
September 10th, 2011, 2:39 PM
Well, you make it sound like Bruce is shocked that Gyan has just chosen to get up and go. Sunderland could have rejected the bid.

Bad Collin
September 10th, 2011, 2:45 PM
Yeah, why the fuck did they not tell him he can't go and to get on with it.

Maybe he has been fucking Bruce's daughter too.

Mik
September 11th, 2011, 3:27 PM
Maybe they all fuck Bruce's daughter.

She's like the honey trap for players Bruce wants to move on.

Simon
September 11th, 2011, 3:38 PM
On the subject of Modric, you can double up that thing about Modric "not being that type of player' - he didn't bother his arse yesterday at all, completely disinterested. Still one of our best players but just wasn't trying. Little rat prick.

RFF Champ
September 26th, 2011, 11:03 AM
It's gone a bit under the radar that Everton have actually signed a player. They signed Marcus Hahnemann as backup goalkeeper. He's nothing like the keeper he once was but I know McCarthy commented on his positive influence on Hennessey and the rest of the squad.

Bad Collin
December 19th, 2011, 8:15 AM
It's almost that time again.

It seems we have bid for Cliftonville's 19 year old striker Rory Donnelly. There is a bit about him here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16237980.stm

He seems like the finisher we need but it is a ridiculous step up even if he has a few years in the reserves.

MMH
December 19th, 2011, 9:06 AM
It's almost that time again.

It seems we have bid for Cliftonville's 19 year old striker Rory Donnelly. There is a bit about him here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16237980.stm

He seems like the finisher we need but it is a ridiculous step up even if he has a few years in the reserves.

I thought we had already signed him...

son_of_foley
December 19th, 2011, 9:24 AM
I really hope he goes somewhere that he might have a chance of getting a frigging game. Everton might well be it.

RFF Champ
December 19th, 2011, 10:13 AM
You'd imagine that Everton fans would give him half a chance to settle too.

Rip
December 19th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Swansea had a £100k bid accepted and he was due for talks before christmas, looks like the Liverpool offer might have knacked that, at that price he should be worth a shot, even if he goes out on loan to a league club for a year or two to get up to speed a bit.

son_of_foley
December 19th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Swansea had a £100k bid accepted and he was due for talks before christmas, looks like the Liverpool offer might have knacked that, at that price he should be worth a shot, even if he goes out on loan to a league club for a year or two to get up to speed a bit.

I think Everton, Brentford and PBoro have all had offers accepted too

RFF Champ
December 19th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Salgado wants out of Blackburn according to Kean.

Chris Scott
December 26th, 2011, 6:09 PM
Apparently we are going for de Jong from City.

Bad Collin
December 26th, 2011, 6:12 PM
According to who? That would be an amazing signing.

Andy
December 29th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Apparently Liverpool have made an approach for Darren Bent.

1_Pablo_Angel
December 29th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Any source?

Bad Collin
December 29th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Lazy journalism surely.

1_Pablo_Angel
December 29th, 2011, 12:59 PM
All over Twitter apparently, won't be taking any notice of that (yet) then...

Bad Collin
December 29th, 2011, 1:01 PM
No. I think Bent would do well for us but he wouldn't be worth the tens of millions we would inevitably spend on him.

Rip
December 29th, 2011, 1:31 PM
Pinch of salt time here, but...

Apparantley when we sold Carroll we put a clause in giving us first chance for loan/sale if he came up in the future, talk goes that Pards is pushing to bring him back in January (couple of stories doing the rounds in local press where he has praised him up probably helps) but with all the Bent to 'pool stories I'm just starting to wonder if there might be something in it after all :dunno:

Bad Collin
December 29th, 2011, 2:29 PM
There is no way Carroll is going anywhere with Luis suspended.

Jaymz
December 29th, 2011, 3:10 PM
There is no way Carroll is going anywhere with Luis suspended.

But surely if you sell him for £10 million, you can buy some shit championship striker to replace shit premiership striker Andy Carroll, and pocket the difference.

Andy
December 29th, 2011, 3:17 PM
Wonder where Bobby Zamora will go. Doesn't seem he has a future at Fulham.

Gary Cahill looks certain to go to Chelsea now and it seems we'll get Henry for a couple of months.

I like the Podolski rumours. We need another striker and a midfielder though.

Rip
December 29th, 2011, 5:13 PM
But surely if you sell him for £10 million, you can buy some shit championship striker to replace shit premiership striker Andy Carroll, and pocket the difference.

Zamora for £3m?

£7m in the bank?

RFF Champ
December 29th, 2011, 6:08 PM
If someone can motivate Zamora and return the confidence he had a couple of years ago then they're onto a real winner. If they can't then they're fucked. I'd be quite confident that Pardew could but unfortunately we won't sign him.

Jol has made a meal of that job. I still don't understand why Hughes left because he had Fulham playing good football and in incredible form. It can only be the age of the squad that worried him (or the Villa job) but I think Murphy and co. all had this season as a final crack at the Europa League or another 7th place or higher.

Dempsey, Dembele, Ruiz and Zamora is an attack that shouldn't be one of the lowest scoring teams in the league with stats boosted by one freak result.

RFF Champ
December 29th, 2011, 6:28 PM
Pinch of salt time here, but...

Apparantley when we sold Carroll we put a clause in giving us first chance for loan/sale if he came up in the future, talk goes that Pards is pushing to bring him back in January (couple of stories doing the rounds in local press where he has praised him up probably helps) but with all the Bent to 'pool stories I'm just starting to wonder if there might be something in it after all :dunno:

It's pie in the sky stuff but I'd love Carroll back.

Another story I love is the one of Jason Prior. It's really miracle stuff that we're giving him a trial from the 8th tier of the football pyramid. I hope he smashes it in training.

turdpower
December 29th, 2011, 6:35 PM
Liverpool surely won't let him go in January. It smells similar to the Robbie Keane thing. You'd have thought they'd have learned their lesson.

connorboy
December 29th, 2011, 6:43 PM
It's pie in the sky stuff but I'd love Carroll back.

Another story I love is the one of Jason Prior. It's really miracle stuff that we're giving him a trial from the 8th tier of the football pyramid. I hope he smashes it in training.

Oh god Pards is up to his old tricks trialling players from pub sides. He loves it and it NEVER works out

Chris Scott
December 30th, 2011, 7:14 AM
Henry back playing for Arsenal 2 month loan and Chelsea in talks with Cahill.

Second City Saint
December 30th, 2011, 7:29 AM
Still £5? Bolton could've got at least double if they let him go in the summer. Tough luck.

Chris Scott
December 30th, 2011, 8:43 AM
According to who? That would be an amazing signing.

The usual rumours that do the rounds at the match, it would be a good signing if true.

McBain
December 30th, 2011, 8:54 AM
Still £5? Bolton could've got at least double if they let him go in the summer. Tough luck.

I thought it was more like £7m but yeah still fairly cheap considering what they were quoting before. That said, the £20m talk was laughable.

Bad Collin
December 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Carroll is going nowhere, you don't give up on a player investment just like that. If he is not progressing by the end of next season then you cut your losses perhaps.

McBain
December 30th, 2011, 10:54 AM
After all the hoo-har about how Liverpool got the better deal when selling Torres, it's looking slightly different at the moment.

Currently it looks like both teams royally fucked themselves. :lol:

It can all change in a couple of months though if Suarez gets back on the straight and narrow.

McBain
December 30th, 2011, 10:54 AM
what he said

RFF Champ
December 30th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Oh god Pards is up to his old tricks trialling players from pub sides. He loves it and it NEVER works out

He's going to be our number nine. Then we'll be told that the last little bit of the Carroll money (after all the money spent on the new kitchen facilities) went on his air-fare and agents fees.

Rip
December 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Young lad from Brugges as well Brokkata or something, no idea at all but we wanted him in the summer on loan and got knocked back since he's 17/18 I'm guessing he's another for the reserves not the new 9 we were hoping for.

This non-league lad is 23? Anyone know if he's worth anything or is it just a good story?

turdpower
December 30th, 2011, 2:12 PM
Well if he's 23 and non league he's either been massively overlooked or he's just not up to it.

Seems like a mental jump at that age, as he won't really be a youth player.

Rip
December 30th, 2011, 4:35 PM
No, I've had a look around the 'net and he's scored a few in the last couple of seasons but he pretty much seems to have done bugger all else of note.

connorboy
December 30th, 2011, 4:38 PM
23? Fuck me it's charlton 2006/7 all over again. He signed someone called Dorian something from Dulwich who never got a game. And Chris Dickson from Dulwich who was shit.

I hate Pardew

RFF Champ
December 30th, 2011, 4:42 PM
Frimpong's having a medical at Wolves.

Andy
December 30th, 2011, 4:52 PM
Good move for him.

RFF Champ
December 30th, 2011, 4:59 PM
Good if he's promised games but I'd be weary about sending a young player into a club with such a poisonous atmosphere.

Mancienne was there three years and went from classy centre back to workmanlike midfielder. Dunno how he's getting on in Germany now.

DavidUK
December 30th, 2011, 8:13 PM
Apparently QPR have offered us £7m for Nikica Jelavic.

Bad Collin
December 31st, 2011, 7:26 AM
Rumours now that we are trying to hijack the Cahill deal.

Lagom
December 31st, 2011, 7:29 AM
As good as that would be in the long run, I'd hope it wouldn't propel him into the first team immediately. I think top priority has to be a goalscorer, or a fitness magician for Craig Bellamy

Ringo
December 31st, 2011, 8:59 AM
Mancienne was there three years and went from classy centre back to workmanlike midfielder. Dunno how he's getting on in Germany now.

Didn't he do better in that role though? I remember Tempest speaking highly of him.

He's been a bomb scare at centre back whenever I've seen him for Hamburg. Just not up to it at all. Rajkovic and Bruma have both looked much better, and obviously Gökhan Töre is tearing shit up on the wing. Think we could come to regret letting him go.

Chris Scott
December 31st, 2011, 9:41 AM
Rumours now that we are trying to hijack the Cahill deal.

Heard a whisper about that at the game.

My approach to CBs is that you usually need four. Two first choice who should play the majority of games together with the 3rd pushing and still getting regular games . For me, that's Agger and Skrtel. Then you need two for cover and we all know Agger's legs are made of lego. Defenders also tend to pick up cards over the season. So currently we have Carragher and Coates as cover. It wouldn't exactly shock me if Carragher decided that his playing days might be drawing to a close and either retired or took more of a squad role while he focussed on getting his coaching badges or whatever he wants to do next (open more restaurants, whatever)

So next season, we'd be looking at an Agger/Skrtel and maybe Cahill for a 1st choice partnership with Coates in reserve. Also don't forget about Danny Wilson, I'd like to see Wilson go off on loan somewhere and try to make his case for being that young excellent player he is. If nothing else, it would get him some exposure so that if we decided to let him go, we'd have a chance of getting a decent fee.

Chris Scott
December 31st, 2011, 9:52 AM
Ahahaha I was just checking a thread about Wilson. Good luck to the lad.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/wilson-seals-loan-switch

Rip
January 1st, 2012, 8:52 AM
Bidding between Chelsea and Arse for Tiote with Pards lining up Rodwell as a replacement and Ridgewell as our defensive target.

Tiote for Rodwell could be a hell of a lot worse if it comes off but not happy if that second part turns out to be true :(

Andy
January 1st, 2012, 12:37 PM
I'd love Tiote but I'd be shocked if that were true.

Bennedy
January 1st, 2012, 1:29 PM
I would welcome Tiote at the Bridge. Can't be a lot worse than Mikel.

RFF Champ
January 2nd, 2012, 4:09 AM
Bidding between Chelsea and Arse for Tiote with Pards lining up Rodwell as a replacement and Ridgewell as our defensive target.

Tiote for Rodwell could be a hell of a lot worse if it comes off but not happy if that second part turns out to be true :(

I would welcome Tiote at the Bridge. Can't be a lot worse than Mikel.

Are there any quotes to go with that rip? I've been out of the loop for a few days.

Out of the important players Tiote is the one I would most like to cash in on. He hasn't played in a while though so I think for some it's a case of absence growing fonder and for me i'm underrating him. He's not in form atm but he is just getting back to fitness.

RFF Champ
January 2nd, 2012, 4:15 AM
Didn't he do better in that role though? I remember Tempest speaking highly of him.

He's been a bomb scare at centre back whenever I've seen him for Hamburg. Just not up to it at all. Rajkovic and Bruma have both looked much better, and obviously Gökhan Töre is tearing shit up on the wing. Think we could come to regret letting him go.

I don't think so. I think he always looked fairly ordinary in midfield. Certainly not up to what his potential suggested.

I remember how good he was for the u21s where he was such a calm and classy defender. I was excited to see how far he could go, his physique seemed the only thing that would hold him back but he just stalled and struggled with the step up from champ to PL. Chelsea can't have ever had any faith in him. The physique thing was strange too cos I remember watching a soccer saturday feature which showed Wolves' gym and sports science equipment and they said it was up there with Milan's and one of the few with 'lab' status.

da_man
January 2nd, 2012, 6:43 AM
The £10m that we owe to the bank is going to be funded by player sales and not a cash injection from Venkys - shock horror.

The only saleable assets who will raise us that money are Samba and Hoilett. Hoilett I would take £7m for but we cannot afford to sell Samba at any cost.

Mik
January 2nd, 2012, 7:01 AM
I think that Yakubu would be your biggest cash in at the moment, would he not?

MMH
January 2nd, 2012, 8:04 AM
Robinson would be worth something too surely?

Chris Scott
January 2nd, 2012, 10:16 AM
The £10m that we owe to the bank is going to be funded by player sales and not a cash injection from Venkys - shock horror.

The only saleable assets who will raise us that money are Samba and Hoilett. Hoilett I would take £7m for but we cannot afford to sell Samba at any cost.

I wouldn't mind both players at us .

da_man
January 2nd, 2012, 10:19 AM
Yak is going through a good spell but couldn't see anyone wanting to splash more than a few million on him. And I don't really see any mid/lower-table team that desperate for a goalkeeper at the moment in Robbo's case.

DavidUK
January 2nd, 2012, 9:33 PM
Hoilett is clearly their most valuable player.

There's apparently interest from a few Premiership sides for Jelavic. I seen you mentioning how shit Goodwillie and Roberts are da_man, you think there could be a chance of Blackburn being interested?

MACE
January 2nd, 2012, 10:19 PM
Really don't see all the commotion about Cahill. Massively massively over-rated for me and nowhere near good enough to play for a big club. You can argue that he's playing in a shit team so they're dragging him down and 'making him look bad'.... But my argument would be, look at someone like Samba - playing in a shit team and could use the same excuse, but he stands out a mile and is clearly a very good defender. Cahill looks all over the place.
Don't get the hype at all I'm afraid.

Andy
January 2nd, 2012, 10:25 PM
Jus reading that Daniele De Rossi is out of contract in the summer. He'd be a great signing for Man United.

thegoat
January 3rd, 2012, 1:29 AM
Isn't there also talk he's about to sign a new deal though?

Alf
January 3rd, 2012, 6:42 AM

Hoilett is out of contract in the summer isn't he? You'd be lucky to get 7m for him then. He's worth about 7m with a full contract in his hand.

Rumours are spurs are interested.

UK Blue
January 3rd, 2012, 7:23 AM
Hoilett is worth a lot more than £7m with a full contract. He's only 21.

son_of_foley
January 3rd, 2012, 7:26 AM
Alf is such a big club supporter. I hope he dies of beer poisoning

Alf
January 3rd, 2012, 7:31 AM
Hoilett is worth a lot more than £7m with a full contract. He's only 21.

So what if he's only 21?

He's a good player. He isn't amazing. How much would you rate him as then?

Regardless. With 6 months left on his contract it means he's worth a fuck of a lot less than his usual asking price.

RFF Champ
January 3rd, 2012, 7:32 AM
Jus reading that Daniele De Rossi is out of contract in the summer. He'd be a great signing for Man United.

They discussed this on Guardian football weekly the other week and were all fairly confident that he would stay where he is. He already earns good money and he loves the city.

UK Blue
January 3rd, 2012, 7:38 AM
So what if he's only 21?

He's a good player. He isn't amazing. How much would you rate him as then?

Regardless. With 6 months left on his contract it means he's worth a fuck of a lot less than his usual asking price.

Players around his age who have shown the promise that he has don't go for that sort of money, unless there's a contract issue as in this case. You just don't pick up promising 21-year-olds from top league clubs for £7m.

He looks far more talented than either Andy Carroll or Jordan Henderson. So in the current climate I guess he's worth £50m.

Alf
January 3rd, 2012, 7:56 AM
Ahaha, love it.

Comolli is greasing up his cheque book as we speak.

Ringo
January 3rd, 2012, 8:17 AM
Yeah, I think Hoilett would be worth significantly more on a full contract as well. He is a good player, but good players don't go for £7m in today's climate.

Simon
January 3rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
We're being linked with a loan move for Pato :zzz:

UK Blue
January 3rd, 2012, 10:27 AM
Pato Banton?

Simon
January 3rd, 2012, 10:29 AM
Yeah hopefully we can get him, we haven't exactly been bubblin' hot over the past few weeks.

The Rosk
January 3rd, 2012, 10:31 AM
Villa looking to loan Robbie Keane. THE MISSING PIECE OF THE JIGSAW.

UK Blue
January 3rd, 2012, 10:32 AM
Yeah hopefully we can get him, we haven't exactly been bubblin' hot over the past few weeks.

YES!

MMH
January 3rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Players around his age who have shown the promise that he has don't go for that sort of money, unless there's a contract issue as in this case. You just don't pick up promising 21-year-olds from top league clubs for £7m.

He looks far more talented than either Andy Carroll or Jordan Henderson. So in the current climate I guess he's worth £50m.

His lack of being English will effect his price too of course. Well more his perceived worth anyway.

Alf
January 3rd, 2012, 12:47 PM
Villa looking to loan Robbie Keane. THE MISSING PIECE OF THE JIGSAW.

Ahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

da_man
January 3rd, 2012, 3:07 PM
We'll get a fee set by a tribunal for Hoilett if his contract runs down because of his age.

There's apparently interest from a few Premiership sides for Jelavic. I seen you mentioning how shit Goodwillie and Roberts are da_man, you think there could be a chance of Blackburn being interested?

Unless he is free, available on loan or related to Jerome Anderson then there is no chance.

son_of_foley
January 4th, 2012, 6:28 AM
G Cahill isnt really wanting 120 grand a week is he? Fucking hell lads. The world has gone mad.

Bennedy
January 4th, 2012, 5:52 PM
We would be mad to give it to him.

MMH
January 4th, 2012, 6:00 PM
G Cahill isnt really wanting 120 grand a week is he? Fucking hell lads. The world has gone mad.

On tonights evidence he is worth twice that.

He was absolutely immense.

mj the kid
January 6th, 2012, 6:19 AM
Aussie Brett Holman to Aston Villa. Sure to provide plenty of laughs.

Grimario
January 6th, 2012, 8:40 AM
More frustration than laughs. Has been Australia's best player for about 18 months now but prone to the occasional nightmare moment.

Used to have the unfortunate media label of LOLman because he could control a difficult pass, turn a defender inside out then his shot at goal would hit the corner flag or something ridiculous.

1_Pablo_Angel
January 6th, 2012, 8:59 AM
Right... is he any good then?

Lagom
January 6th, 2012, 9:22 AM
Probably not what Villa need when they're trying to get Ireland to fulfill his potential in the same position, but yeah, he has the ability.

UK Blue
January 6th, 2012, 9:23 AM
He's been dubbed the new Tony Daley.

1_Pablo_Angel
January 6th, 2012, 9:27 AM
That'll do.

Lagom
January 6th, 2012, 9:28 AM
Is there any higher praise?

Maybe the white Yeboah

The Rosk
January 6th, 2012, 9:31 AM
YES FUCKING HOLMAN. My favourite player outside of the main European leagues currently, cannot believe we've got him. Unbelievable.

1_Pablo_Angel
January 6th, 2012, 9:36 AM
I can't see any story that says we've actually got him, outside of total football. (Which is shite.) In fact Fulham seem to be favourites from what Google is turning up.

son_of_foley
January 6th, 2012, 9:38 AM
Are you calling MJ THE KID A FUCKING LIAR?

UK BLUE PUNCH HIM AGAIN

UK Blue
January 6th, 2012, 9:39 AM
I'm on it.

son_of_foley
January 6th, 2012, 9:40 AM
UK BLUE do you hate Luke Varney yet?

1_Pablo_Angel
January 6th, 2012, 9:43 AM
Are you calling MJ THE KID A FUCKING LIAR?

Not at all, he might be exaggerating or simply misinformed. He might even be right.

I'm on it.

You know where to find me.

Lagom
January 6th, 2012, 9:46 AM
Also, why we're not in the hunt for Vagner Love is beyond me, CSKA have said that they'll let him go for 10m in bloody Euros, which is about 30 quid.

UK Blue
January 6th, 2012, 9:51 AM
UK BLUE do you hate Luke Varney yet?

He's been OK for us, although he's missed a lot of games through injury. He has a 'mysterious' injury currently, so I reckon we're keeping him safe with a view to selling him to Forest.

As I'm sure you are aware, we're in the shit again.

You know where to find me.

Not falling for that trick... you'll lock me out again. I could do without another bout of hypothermia.

son_of_foley
January 6th, 2012, 10:05 AM
He's been OK for us, although he's missed a lot of games through injury. He has a 'mysterious' injury currently, so I reckon we're keeping him safe with a view to selling him to Forest.

As I'm sure you are aware, we're in the shit again.

Not falling for that trick... you'll lock me out again. I could do without another bout of hypothermia.

I feel sorry for portsmouth fans. I mean for fucks sake. In the summer it seemed vaguely positive and now this again. Shitte. Could've been worse you could have also signed Martin Patterson for 1.5m as he's been constantly injured again

El Capitano Gatisto
January 6th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Also, why we're not in the hunt for Vagner Love is beyond me, CSKA have said that they'll let him go for 10m in bloody Euros, which is about 30 quid.

Total guess but I'd bet he's owned by about 6 different companies and the mafia.

I don't think he's been great either, CSKA have sent him back to Brazil on loan a couple of times.

Lagom
January 6th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Maybe so, but we could do with a 1 in 2 striker at the minute.

I reckon it's cos he's black.

Or has blue hair

Bluemoon
January 6th, 2012, 3:04 PM
Strong rumours about de Jong again Liverpool fans to replace Lucas.

Lagom
January 6th, 2012, 3:23 PM
I'd welcome him cautiously, not lovingly after what he did to my Xabi at the World Cup

MMH
January 6th, 2012, 4:06 PM

He would be absolute arse over here. We have been linked with him loads in the past too.

His crazy hair makes him look better than what he is.

1_Pablo_Angel
January 6th, 2012, 4:09 PM
How old is he now? Scored a phenomenal goal at Villa Park a few years ago. Scored a cracker in the Champions League this season 15 seconds after I happened to flick onto it.

And that's all I've seen of him, so he must be good.

MMH
January 6th, 2012, 4:11 PM
Everton were linked with Luc Castaignos today for around 8M.

Assuming we could afford him (we cant coz Kenwright is a bloody liar, money to spend in January my arse) I would love that to happen.

MMH
January 6th, 2012, 4:13 PM
How old is he now? Scored a phenomenal goal at Villa Park a few years ago. Scored a cracker in the Champions League this season 15 seconds after I happened to flick onto it.

And that's all I've seen of him, so he must be good.

The last Brazilian striker to come over from Russia didnt turn out too good. Thats enough reason to put me off.

Oh, Jo by the way.

Bluemoon
January 6th, 2012, 4:57 PM
I'd welcome him cautiously, not lovingly after what he did to my Xabi at the World Cup

He's an excellent player and would suit your system with the one man upfront.

Bluemoon
January 6th, 2012, 4:58 PM
Apprently the latest from twitter is Liverpool offered £25 million and Carroll for Bent but Villa just want the money.

turdpower
January 6th, 2012, 5:15 PM
I heard Liverpool upped their offer from that to just 23m.

mj the kid
January 6th, 2012, 6:01 PM
I can't see any story that says we've actually got him, outside of total football. (Which is shite.) In fact Fulham seem to be favourites from what Google is turning up.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/three-barclays-premier-league-clubs-keen-to-sign-socceroos-star-brett-holman-in-january-transfer-market/story-e6frf4l3-1226237899410

It was 1 of the leading stories on australia's biggest sports websites. Just a rumor still obviously...

Bad Collin
January 6th, 2012, 6:07 PM
The Independent are reporting that United may be selling Rooney.

Hlebsfall
The Independent reckon Rooney will be allowed to leave.

Hlebsfall
Fuck off

Bad Collin
January 6th, 2012, 6:10 PM
Come on Hlebs, wake up

El Capitano Gatisto
January 6th, 2012, 6:12 PM
United and Rooney have already released a joint statement denying it.

turdpower
January 6th, 2012, 6:13 PM
LINK?

Winkle van Tinkle
January 6th, 2012, 6:14 PM
Not saying that the story has any legs, but thats standard procedure if they are selling him to protect value.

Hlebsfall
January 6th, 2012, 6:20 PM
http://twitter.com/WayneRooney

Hlebsfall
January 6th, 2012, 6:24 PM
But then we have Raphael Honigstein with basically what Bunts said

https://twitter.com/#!/honigstein

turdpower
January 6th, 2012, 6:35 PM
Haha, the first tweet is written too well. Correct grammar and spelling. The second one seals it as being real.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 6th, 2012, 6:41 PM
Maybe they will sell him in the summer, when he'll be almost a couple of years into that new contract. Strange turn of events regardless. It is hardly the sort of thing a reputable paper would slap on their front page without being very confident about it.