PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 10:15 AM
Joey Barton has apparently been released by Newcastle.

Andy
August 1st, 2011, 10:18 AM
What the fuck is going on at Newcastle? Even if that isn't true, they've invested fuck all of the Carroll money, can't get players onto their pre-season tour, have a couple whinging, their captain fucking off to the Championship. They always manage to find a way to fuck things up. They're almost as bad, if not worse, than Man City.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 10:21 AM
no chance that they're worse than City.

Andy, Barton to Arsenal. Would you like it?

son_of_foley
August 1st, 2011, 10:24 AM
Right I'll have a go at explaining this until Alex gets in

Ashely lost a fuckload of money all round. On the club, outside of the club and everything else.
He had it running at a heavy loss in championship season because of the lack of a buyer in the hope a rebound promotion would attract one. It didn't.

Ashley has little money and a club full of overpaid twats. He wants to keep the Carroll money. He wants to claw as much of what he lost back asap. He wants to slash the wage bill, hence Nolan going.

This fuckup has been a long time in the oven. More than likely I think Ashely will take an axe to the squad some more and then sell up. He's already hated so doing the hatchet job to the squad to make it more attractive to buyers is probably in his best interest.

The pre-season tour is simply visa issues. Whilst it was silly of them to go there was it any more silly than Chelsea dragging Benayoun out to Malaysia. Didnt he miss a tour at a previous club to UAE due to the israeli nationality THING.

Ringo
August 1st, 2011, 10:26 AM
Fourth_Official Fourth Official
So he has been released! Enrique won't be much longer out the door then #NUFC

Fourth_Official Fourth Official
Nile Ranger now tweeting he need's to "think about his future" - Think that's a positive for Newcastle fans though #NUFC

Ahaha :D

Andy
August 1st, 2011, 10:27 AM
no chance that they're worse than City.

Andy, Barton to Arsenal. Would you like it?

No.

Regardless of what he may or may not add to the squad, he's a scumbag. A scumbag who has had enough second chances already. I don't want him anywhere near my club.

son_of_foley
August 1st, 2011, 10:30 AM
This thing with Newcastle though doesnt constitute him having or needing a 2nd chance. If he has been released, and I'll be a little suprised, then it's because he's probably accepted a pay off of x% of his next years earnings and loyalty bonus which saves Newcastle a bit of money and allows him to get his big free agent signing fee a year younger.

son_of_foley
August 1st, 2011, 10:34 AM
Barton, Nolan and Enrique seem to have poisoned the dressing room a lot.

Hughton was seen as a mate rather than a threat in my eyes.

Simon
August 1st, 2011, 10:35 AM
A move for Barton on a free has Redknapp written all over it. Not sure how I'd feel about it.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 10:40 AM
Newcastle haven't paid him off, just said he's available for free. I imagine his announcement will be that he'll run his contract down

BBF
August 1st, 2011, 11:43 AM
Rumours doing the rounds that Barton never had a true announcement to make but was simply forcing Newcastle's hand.

If true, then well played JB

MikeHunt
August 1st, 2011, 11:46 AM
really bbf, why well played?

he is acting like a cunt to the club and the fans that gave him a chance. this makes me hate barton even more.

BBF
August 1st, 2011, 11:50 AM
He achieved exactly what he set out to. For that, he's done well.

MikeHunt
August 1st, 2011, 11:51 AM
a cunt for doing it though?

BBF
August 1st, 2011, 11:53 AM
Six of one, half a dozen of the other probably.

I agree that he's a bit of a tosser but if its true then he's played his hand very very well.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 11:55 AM
Man United favourites to sign Barton on Skybet :eek: 6/4

This would be a new low in Glazernomics.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 12:02 PM
"I am on a free but the honour of wearing those B+W stripes, surpasses that"

Arf :D

Lagom
August 1st, 2011, 12:03 PM
The thing with Barton is that he's actually a very decent player, and as much as it pains me to say, would improve the United squad :eek:

He's just such a fucking scumbag, though.

I'd have him as well, but we'd have to ship out a couple first, and I don't see that happening.

Lagom
August 1st, 2011, 12:13 PM
Seems Juve have all but rubber-stamped the signing of Vucinic. Looks like 'Arry will have to look elsewhere

Simon
August 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Cunt fucking cunts cunts.

Simon
August 1st, 2011, 12:23 PM
We're definitely going to sign Carlton Cole. Nailed on.

Lagom
August 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM
Top 20 this year Si, don't worry!

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 12:28 PM
We're definitely going to sign Carlton Cole. Nailed on.

Barton's agent says he's spoken to three premier league clubs. Two of which are in London and one in the Midlands.

Arsenal, Spurs and Villa probably

son_of_foley
August 1st, 2011, 12:29 PM
I would think Fulham would have an interest in sorting out that ageing midfield

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 12:30 PM
Would Fulham pay him 50-60k a week?

son_of_foley
August 1st, 2011, 12:33 PM
They're not too shy about spending money plus are we not told that that sort of figure is the upper level of spurs wage bracket? Maybe that's exaggerated by some on here though.....

The Rosk
August 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM
Barton is 29 now, it would make no sense for a club challenging for honours to sign him even as a squad player because he has no experience at that level, he's a volatile character which is not a good trait for someone who would be expected to be supplementing the first team and he's not such a good footballer that either of those factors could be ignored. A team like Villa could probably find a good use for him, they're a bit light in midfield and he's an experienced Premier League player who would do well for them.

Really?

N'Zogbia, Makoun, Albrighton, Bannan, Delph, Ireland, hmmm FUCK maybe. This is quite the turn of events but I doubt we'll go for him somehow.

Ringo
August 1st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Seems Juve have all but rubber-stamped the signing of Vucinic. Looks like 'Arry will have to look elsewhere

Juve have loads of bloody strikers now.

Vucinic, Matri, Iaquinta, Toni, Quagliarella, Del Piero and Amauri. Not sure how they'll end up playing since they have brought in Vidal & Pirlo, got rid of Sissoko & Felipe Melo and still have KRASIC, Pepe & Jorge Martinez. With all those options and a much improved defence they should finally be coming back in a big way this year though.

MMH
August 1st, 2011, 12:57 PM
Sure he is representing the company publically and if he does so in a poor light (ie if he's told formally it's against policy to discuss the clubs transfer policy in public without going through the Press Office) then they can fine him same as any other failure.

You can get in trouble for bad mouthing your employeer on social networks. He's no different

Well that would depend if it is written in his contract and club policy.

Im not allowed to badmouth my employer as you say, but thats because its in the terms of my employment.

RFF Champ
August 1st, 2011, 1:03 PM
Right I'll have a go at explaining this until Alex gets in

Ashely lost a fuckload of money all round. On the club, outside of the club and everything else.
He had it running at a heavy loss in championship season because of the lack of a buyer in the hope a rebound promotion would attract one. It didn't.

Ashley has little money and a club full of overpaid twats. He wants to keep the Carroll money. He wants to claw as much of what he lost back asap. He wants to slash the wage bill, hence Nolan going.

This fuckup has been a long time in the oven. More than likely I think Ashely will take an axe to the squad some more and then sell up. He's already hated so doing the hatchet job to the squad to make it more attractive to buyers is probably in his best interest.

The pre-season tour is simply visa issues. Whilst it was silly of them to go there was it any more silly than Chelsea dragging Benayoun out to Malaysia. Didnt he miss a tour at a previous club to UAE due to the israeli nationality THING.

That's a pretty pro-Ashley response. A lot of the players are showing their true colours now and are real wankers but the they're all as bad as each other. The Carroll money we were told was going to be reinvested in full but now we're told it's pretty much been spent...on what?? Why bid 12mil for Zog on the last day of January and decide 9mil is too much now? Either way, the worst thing that they have done is, for me, sacking Hughton.

What started out as an incredibly promising summer has turned into something of a disaster.

I would think Fulham would have an interest in sorting out that ageing midfield

They've already signed Gecov who is 23 and a kid from Palermo called Kasami who they spent almost 5mil on. I think they are the signings for the future.

Mik
August 1st, 2011, 1:21 PM
I genuinely hope that Ashley drives Newcastle into the ground. If they ceased to exist, I would not be sad.

Gary J
August 1st, 2011, 1:49 PM
Really?

N'Zogbia, Makoun, Albrighton, Bannan, Delph, Ireland, hmmm FUCK maybe. This is quite the turn of events but I doubt we'll go for him somehow.

This Barton situation is definitely quiet the turn of events who would have thought that we'd ever see a scouser get released without charge?

Seriously though if that is all Villa have in midfield they should definitely go for him as that is a midfield that needs cover unless of course there are more youngsters coming through. Isn't Craig Gardner's brother supposed to be the next one who makes it in the team.

Is Delph actually any good? I've not been that impressed when i've seen him which is admittedly very little as he very rarely plays although i think he had a serious injury at some point.

How has Ireland been in pre-season does he look like a player that actually wants to be there?

RFF Champ
August 1st, 2011, 2:10 PM
I genuinely hope that Ashley drives Newcastle into the ground. If they ceased to exist, I would not be sad.

I don't understand when you mackems say this. I love to see you lose and in turmoil but there is nothing better in domestic competition than derby days. I've been to three derby matches live and each one was special.

Gangers
August 1st, 2011, 2:18 PM
Yeah that's a pretty sad statement, I think. I don't want any of United's rivals to go out of business, or even drop out of the division. I wasn't really that pleased when City were out of the Prem, our constant last minute winners over them the past two or three years have been hilarious.

Bad Collin
August 1st, 2011, 2:35 PM
:yes:

Seeing United or Everton get relegated would be hilarious but I would really miss the excitement of the games.

Mik
August 1st, 2011, 2:38 PM
I don't understand when you mackems say this. I love to see you lose and in turmoil but there is nothing better in domestic competition than derby days. I've been to three derby matches live and each one was special.

Oh dont assume that I'm speaking on behalf of all Mackems here, anymore than you are speaking for all Geordies (of which I'd say that there are plenty who would say the same as me), most of the Mackems I know think the same way as you do. But I think that they want their love of the local derby match clouds their ability to see the bigger picture. The North East is a big place, the landscape of it at the moment looks like it will be dominated by only two clubs, Boro has a small support even when they were the highest of us all. There is a huge scope for a genuinely BIG club here. As the lesser successful (within my lifetime) club its always meant that the big players and the big money and more of the support has gone to Newcastle. Nothing would please me more than seeing virtually everyone in the North East support Sunderland, seeing young people coming through brought up just naturally supporting Sunderland because they are the only real option. Seeing any of the big players that ARE willing to come to the North East picking us instead of Newcastle. I honestly think that if Newcastle went out of business we would have a much better chance of establishing ourselves as a genuinely BIG Premiership team. We'd most likely pull in crowds around 60,000 every week, which would give us more money, more pull.

Yeah that's a pretty sad statement, I think. I don't want any of United's rivals to go out of business, or even drop out of the division. I wasn't really that pleased when City were out of the Prem, our constant last minute winners over them the past two or three years have been hilarious.

Isnt that magnanimous of you from your ivory tower of being one of the best teams in the world. See if you start saying the same when City are beating you to the title every season. That is like the England fans not understanding why the Scots dont support England in the World Cup.

Mik
August 1st, 2011, 2:40 PM
Raises an interesting question. Is anyone else here a supporter of a Premiership club (ie regularly competing with your rival) who have (for their lifetime) been considered the smaller and less successful of the two? If so, would you happily see them hit bankruptcy and disappear. I only know of MMH off the top of my head, would be interested to see what he says.

The Rosk
August 1st, 2011, 2:43 PM
This Barton situation is definitely quiet the turn of events who would have thought that we'd ever see a scouser get released without charge?

Seriously though if that is all Villa have in midfield they should definitely go for him as that is a midfield that needs cover unless of course there are more youngsters coming through. Isn't Craig Gardner's brother supposed to be the next one who makes it in the team.

Is Delph actually any good? I've not been that impressed when i've seen him which is admittedly very little as he very rarely plays although i think he had a serious injury at some point.

How has Ireland been in pre-season does he look like a player that actually wants to be there?

I forgot Gardner and Petrov. Delph is very good yes. And Ireland has looked good in preseason. Dunno whether bringing in Barton would take two players out on its own.

Simon
August 1st, 2011, 2:47 PM
We've been in Arsenal's shadow pretty much the entire time I've been watching football, arguably every year up until the one just gone when we could reasonably claim to have been on an even keel with them (both in the CL, both fighting for the CL again). I hate them and love to revel in their failures, but of course I don't want them to go out of business...what would I have to hate? It would take some of the strongest emotions I feel out of the game.

da_man
August 1st, 2011, 2:48 PM
According to a Rovers leaker who posts on Twitter, Barton is quoting clubs £70,000 per week plus bonuses and a £2m signing on fee.

MMH
August 1st, 2011, 2:50 PM
Raises an interesting question. Is anyone else here a supporter of a Premiership club (ie regularly competing with your rival) who have (for their lifetime) been considered the smaller and less successful of the two? If so, would you happily see them hit bankruptcy and disappear. I only know of MMH off the top of my head, would be interested to see what he says.

Its a weird one really, although you are right that we have been considered the smaller club I have still seen my club win 2 league titles, 2 FA Cups, plenty of wembley finals and a European Cup so it could be worse for me really.

I hate Liverpool with a passion but only because their fans are so horribly arrogant (in general) it amazes me that a lot of fans from both clubs come from the same city and the same background, even the same families because the mindsets of both sets of fans is totally different. I despise their holier than thou attitude when they have been worse than anybody in the past.

That said a lot of my friends support Liverpool so i cant totally hate them, I truely wouldnt like to see them go bankrupt or fade into lower league obscurity. I would however love to see them having to deal with a relegation dogfight or maybe even a short term relegation just to see how they would react. They went mental last season when they had the bad start to the season and when Dem (other) yanks didnt hand them the world on a plate so that would be hilarious to see them in utter panic.

I dont enjoy derby games anyway so I dont think I would miss them at all, but nah I dont really want any club to go bust etc. I suppose the footballing world would be a more boring place without them.

RFF Champ
August 1st, 2011, 3:03 PM
Oh dont assume that I'm speaking on behalf of all Mackems here, anymore than you are speaking for all Geordies (of which I'd say that there are plenty who would say the same as me), most of the Mackems I know think the same way as you do. But I think that they want their love of the local derby match clouds their ability to see the bigger picture. The North East is a big place, the landscape of it at the moment looks like it will be dominated by only two clubs, Boro has a small support even when they were the highest of us all. There is a huge scope for a genuinely BIG club here. As the lesser successful (within my lifetime) club its always meant that the big players and the big money and more of the support has gone to Newcastle. Nothing would please me more than seeing virtually everyone in the North East support Sunderland, seeing young people coming through brought up just naturally supporting Sunderland because they are the only real option. Seeing any of the big players that ARE willing to come to the North East picking us instead of Newcastle. I honestly think that if Newcastle went out of business we would have a much better chance of establishing ourselves as a genuinely BIG Premiership team. We'd most likely pull in crowds around 60,000 every week, which would give us more money, more pull.

Isnt that magnanimous of you from your ivory tower of being one of the best teams in the world. See if you start saying the same when City are beating you to the title every season. That is like the England fans not understanding why the Scots dont support England in the World Cup.

Generalising was out of order, sorry. Your opinion is one I've heard a fair bit and usually it's because Newcastle fans 'are cunts' so I respect your opinion, which in fairness does make sense.

I just disagree, I love derby days. If it wasn't for Sunderland then who would Shola Ameobi save his two outstanding performances of the season for?

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 3:07 PM

Bollocks. The day the Arabs fuck off and leave City in the mire will be a glorious one. I will pick up one of those Manchester City exclusive inflatable bananas, don an all blue shellsuit and have a whip-round for the unfortunate club.

I will then spend the money on more of those inflatable bananas, tie them to Tevez and transfer him to the moon. Has more restaurants than Manchester, you know :rolleyes:

Rip
August 1st, 2011, 3:08 PM
I just disagree, I love derby days. If it wasn't for Sunderland then who would Shola Ameobi save his two outstanding performances of the season for?

:yes:

Anyone else hear Bartons agent of 5live?

'Joey wants to stay he'd love to sit down with Mike and Alan and work out a deal'....yeah right.

Sorry for being a cynic but I get the feeling Barton got exactly what he wanted here?

RFF Champ
August 1st, 2011, 3:11 PM
Allegiances aside, I think it's quite sad that Barton is getting his own way here.

He has a year left on his contract so he should honour that which the club was happy to let him do because he did so well last year. Instead he has bitched and moaned and is allowed to go for free despite only having one good season in four and the fact that the club stood by him.

He's already on 50-60k a week so it doesn't surprise me that he wants 70k when he's on a free.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 3:13 PM
his agent said he was willing to accept a pay-cut if it meant staying at the club :dunno:

RFF Champ
August 1st, 2011, 3:14 PM
Read that post back and tell me you truly believe that.

Rip
August 1st, 2011, 3:14 PM
If I'm honest a big part of me is happy he's gone, on his day he is very very good, however as a dad I really don't want my kids to ever come to me and ask for a shirt with his name on.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 3:19 PM
Read that post back and tell me you truly believe that.

Why do you not believe it? Barton would have no reason to lie about that, furthermore, I can't see how coming out with such a statement would benefit him in future talks. Barton isn't stupid, he quotes Aristotle and Nietzsche, wears a top hat and uses a teammate's eye as an ash tray; I think he's being genuine.

RFF Champ
August 1st, 2011, 3:24 PM
Why do you not believe it? Barton would have no reason to lie about that, furthermore, I can't see how coming out with such a statement would benefit him in future talks. Barton isn't stupid, he quotes Aristotle and Nietzsche, wears a top hat and uses a teammate's eye as an ash tray; I think he's being genuine.

Because if he would really take a paycut then this would have been sorted. He's been offered at least 2 contracts, I have no doubt they were for less money than he's currently on but he hasn't signed them or even been willing to negotiate.

He gets to go to a club on 70k a week and Ashley gets another 50k+ earner off the wage bill - win/win. Just Colo and Smith to go and Xisco will be our highest earner.

Simon
August 1st, 2011, 3:36 PM
We're now in for Llorente and Nilmar apparently. I wish we'd just fucking home in on two realistic targets and make them happen.

Lagom
August 1st, 2011, 3:38 PM
Are you really going to dump Coloccini after he's just been made club captain?

How much do you reckon I'd have to drum up to buy the club from Ashley tomorrow? I've already got 8 buttons saved, and i can tear a few more off my dads shirts if needs be

Lagom
August 1st, 2011, 3:40 PM
We're now in for Llorente and Nilmar apparently. I wish we'd just fucking home in on two realistic targets and make them happen.

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/PA-9941466.jpg

Simon
August 1st, 2011, 3:42 PM
The piss-arsing about over fees is infuriating. We could quite easily have had Vucinic signed by now if we'd pushed the boat out a little bit.

I know it's more complicated and it's not FM and blah blah blah, but why not stick in some proper bids for fucking Gyan, players like him. Good players, proven talent, young enough to sell for a good price if it doesn't work out, and likely to be interested in the move.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 3:44 PM
Simon, Bebe-Modric straight swap. Take it or leave it.

Simon
August 1st, 2011, 3:45 PM
I can't joke about Tottenham related transfers any more, it's too painful.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 3:45 PM
I hate Carlton Cole. Even seeing that picture above of him grinning annoys me. The worst first touch in football history. Absolutely useless.

Simon
August 1st, 2011, 3:46 PM
Can't Control.

Lagom
August 1st, 2011, 3:47 PM
Simon's rubbish at anagrams

Lagom
August 1st, 2011, 3:48 PM
Simon, Bebe-Modric straight swap. Take it or leave it.

I reckon if you throw in Obertan and Gibson, he'd bite your hand off

Simon
August 1st, 2011, 3:48 PM
Carlton Cole is an anagram of Levy Wallet Moths.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 3:53 PM
Luka Modric is an anagram of 'Oral cum kid' :eek: This changes everything. We'll keep Bebe.

Andy
August 1st, 2011, 3:53 PM
That Fourth_Official bloke reckons Spurs had agreed a fee for Vucinic but he chose Juve.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 3:55 PM
Looks like Arsenal missed out on signing Mata. Apparently his buy out clause has risen to £60m, and Valencia probably wouldn't accept anything less than £30m now

Then again, this comes from Balague so is almost definitely bollocks

Andy
August 1st, 2011, 4:03 PM
I'm certain it's bollocks. Valencia are £500m in debt or something aren't they? Like there would've been a gentleman's agreement that expired or something. He'll go for a decent price, probably one we won't be willing to pay.

I think it's more likely we're waiting to see if Barca are going to stop fucking about or not. Such a dangerous game to play and one that will almost certainly backfire.

Simon
August 1st, 2011, 4:10 PM
That Fourth_Official bloke reckons Spurs had agreed a fee for Vucinic but he chose Juve.

If we'd offered more money before they had firmed up their interest we could have had it done.

The deadline for the agreed £23m deal has indeed passed for Mata, but they will let him go for not much more.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 4:39 PM
Graham Hunter reckons United are interested in signing Mata

Simon
August 1st, 2011, 4:40 PM
Would be a good long-term alternative to Giggs.

Lagom
August 1st, 2011, 4:43 PM
I'm not sure anyone sees his future as a Giggs style wide player. If Arsenal were to buy him, I'd imagine he'd be a direct replacement for Fabregas, long-term

Simon
August 1st, 2011, 4:45 PM
Really? I've only ever seen him play off either wing (mostly left) or in a withdrawn striker role. Never seen him play centre mid.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 1st, 2011, 4:46 PM
He plays further up the pitch than Fabregas, whether wide or not. Manchester United don't need advanced midfielders, they need players who can play in the middle of the pitch, who are comfortable between defence and attack and who can win and keep the ball. Mata would be as strange a signing, for me, as Sneijder, but he would at least be cheaper and younger.

RuneEdge
August 1st, 2011, 4:46 PM
Would be a good long-term alternative to Giggs.

But most importantly, we need some wingers.

Simon
August 1st, 2011, 4:47 PM
It's becoming increasingly frightening to me that Modric is exactly the player United need.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 1st, 2011, 4:48 PM
Really? I've only ever seen him play off either wing (mostly left) or in a withdrawn striker role. Never seen him play centre mid.

He doesn't play central midfield, he's not a central midfielder. You'd still need two central midfielders if he was playing centrally himself. He'd be a good signing for Arsenal because with Mata and Gervinho, Walcott wouldn't be shoe-horned as a winger and Arshavin wouldn't be needed on the wing. Arshavin would make more sense as an advanced central midfielder.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 6:00 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/362000256.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1312236939&Signature=4wPT6Uwtuv1xDqIWo6gR5u4EHgc%3D

£30m. Not bad.

son_of_foley
August 1st, 2011, 6:02 PM
That's a pretty pro-Ashley response. A lot of the players are showing their true colours now and are real wankers but the they're all as bad as each other. The Carroll money we were told was going to be reinvested in full but now we're told it's pretty much been spent...on what?? Why bid 12mil for Zog on the last day of January and decide 9mil is too much now? Either way, the worst thing that they have done is, for me, sacking Hughton.

What started out as an incredibly promising summer has turned into something of a disaster.

They've already signed Gecov who is 23 and a kid from Palermo called Kasami who they spent almost 5mil on. I think they are the signings for the future.

It was more meant as anti the players. ashley prob hates the club now and just wants how money but so do barton and enrique. Barton panders to the fans despite basically saying im walking away for free losing the club a fee. Enrique is just the same ashley is the scapegoat. Dont get me wrong he is a wanker but its the fans who have eventually been paying barton so far from being hero worshipped by most they should think of him as. Wanker as well.

Long term thinking though these cuts can only be good

Andy
August 1st, 2011, 6:02 PM
I don't understand why Inter would want to sell and why Sneijder would want to go.

son_of_foley
August 1st, 2011, 6:04 PM
He doesn't play central midfield, he's not a central midfielder. You'd still need two central midfielders if he was playing centrally himself. He'd be a good signing for Arsenal because with Mata and Gervinho, Walcott wouldn't be shoe-horned as a winger and Arshavin wouldn't be needed on the wing. Arshavin would make more sense as an advanced central midfielder.

It would be incredibly exciting to see a motivated arshavin there rather than on the wing

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 6:06 PM
I don't understand why Inter would want to sell and why Sneijder would want to go.

Why wouldn't he? If United could offer him the wages Inter can I think this transfer would have been wrapped up a while ago. Biggest club in the world, consistent contenders for the Champions League, a desire to play in England, his missus probably sees a future in the english speaking market (:( ) etc etc

also, he wants to play alongside Gibson

Andy
August 1st, 2011, 6:09 PM
Desire to play in England would be about it, surely? He's already at a massive club, won the CL, loads of other trophies. I just find it quite surprising that he'd be happy to swap Milan for Manchester for less money.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 6:09 PM
Also, their other exclusive is Berbatov to PSG for €21m

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 6:12 PM
Desire to play in England would be about it, surely? He's already at a massive club, won the CL, loads of other trophies. I just find it quite surprising that he'd be happy to swap Milan for Manchester for less money.

Inter are a big club, but I think you're severely underestimating the lure of Manchester United to a dutch man who is fluent in English, and has already played for one of the big Spanish sides.

Does winning the champions league mean he wouldn't like another one? Barcelona are fucked this season then :rolleyes:

And Manchester is much nicer than Milan.

Mik
August 1st, 2011, 6:13 PM
Are Manchester United the biggest club in the world?

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 6:14 PM
Real Madrid possibly. Definitely top two or three, though.

Andy
August 1st, 2011, 6:18 PM
Top three these days I'd say.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 6:20 PM
If we're going by trophies then it's Madrid. As a complete package, though, it's United. Most fans, most valuable sports club in the world (feel a bit sick writing that), consistently challenging for honours etc

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 6:24 PM
anyway, who gives a fuck? The Italian league is shite these days, United are bigger than Inter and Milan is a shithole. Nothing else matters.

Bad Collin
August 1st, 2011, 6:28 PM
Surely second or third biggest?

EDIT: Yeah...

El Capitano Gatisto
August 1st, 2011, 9:00 PM
Inter are a big club, but I think you're severely underestimating the lure of Manchester United to a dutch man who is fluent in English, and has already played for one of the big Spanish sides.

Does winning the champions league mean he wouldn't like another one? Barcelona are fucked this season then :rolleyes:

And Manchester is much nicer than Milan.

Is Sneijder really worth all of it though? It's one of the biggest Emporer's New Clothes things in football in my opinion. Sneijder is a very good player, but he's not better than Rooney in that position behind the strikers. No way. He became this huge name when Inter won the CL, but I would have had Cambiasso, Milito, Zanetti and Samuel ahead of him as key players for Inter that season. I think Cambiasso is exactly the sort of player United need, but he's 2 years older than Sneijder and hasn't had the same press.

I just don't get it. He got loads of MoMs and credited with loads of goals in the World Cup, but I really don't buy that he was responsible for their run. I will accept being accused of just being contrary here, maybe I am, but I just don't get why he is worth a record fee for United and maximum wages. Not one aspect of that kind of deal makes sense. He is the wrong type of player, he's not as good as publicised and he's the wrong age in keeping with United's profile of signing. I actually think they'd be better just launching a load of money at Ganso at the price.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 9:23 PM
The Dutch coach was speaking about how a move to United would be great for Sneijder and Holland as he'd be playing in his 'natural', deeper position. I'm not sure what to make of that as he's always played as a second striker when I've watched the Dutch, but I see no reason as to why he wouldn't excel in a deeper position.

I think he'll be fine in a midfield two. I disagree completely in your assessment of him as a player, he is one of the best passers of the ball in the world, is very clever off ball, can carry the ball and can score goals. He has proven himself as a genuine world class player, should be approaching his peak years and is exactly the kind of signing we should be making with Scholes retiring.

From what I've seen of Ganso, he's still very raw. He picks his passes awfully, always looking for a killer pass. His pace, or lack of it, would also be a problem I think. Sneikder is by no means a 'pacy' player, but he's certainly not as slow as Ganso.

I do agree with you that this does seem like an odd signing. He's 27, so there won't be much resale value, he's going to be paid an extortionate amount and has already established himself as world class player. Basically, it could all go tits up, but Sir Alex isn't often wrong and I'm sure he knows exactly how he'd fit into the side.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 1st, 2011, 9:29 PM
Alex Ferguson signed Juan Veron who, in my opinion, was the best midfielder in the world at the time and he did not get the best out of him. I will argue to the death with anyone that Veron was a failure, I thought he was superb at United, but he was not the best midfielder in the world as he was at Parma and Lazio. Now, it is a different situation entirely but basically all I am saying is that I don't think Ferguson always gets it right. I feel like a wanker saying I might know better and will most likely look like a wanker when they do sign him and he's player of the year next season but it doesn't make sense.

Ganso looks like another Zidane, tall, rangy and full of skill. He needs a shitload of discipline to play in Europe but his eye for a pass is as good as any footballer I have ever seen. Been wrong before about Santos players (I thought Robinho and Diego would be no. 1 and 2 in the world by now) but he fits the profile of that type of player.

If Sneijder could be worked deeper alongside Fletcher and Anderson, he could be quality, but I don't know about England being the country he can do that in at his age. Italy and Spain give a lot of time on the ball and he has always played in an advanced position in those countries.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 9:46 PM
I think Veron's confidence and form suffered quite a bit from the media pounding he took. It sounds odd for such a superb player, but he's apparently quite an insecure, emotional guy. I think I remember Fergie hitting out at the journos at a press conference after they slagged Veron off in that morning's papers, telling them that Veron was a 'fucking great player', that they knew 'fuck all' and that they should all 'fuck off' :eek: :D

Sneijder, by all accounts, happens to be quite an arrogant little man. I don't think he'll be fazed, and unlike Veron, I think his game is perfectly suited to a faster pace league. He's very quick on the ball, can play it one or two touch and his ability to find space in a crowded midfield is something Veron struggled with at times.

Ganso could be sensational, but as you say discipline is the issue here. I think we were linked with him a while ago and he said if he left Brazil it would only be for Italy. And I do think of the top three leagues, Italy would be best suited for him- at least at this point in his career.

Andy
August 1st, 2011, 9:53 PM
I don't think Italy is a top three league anymore.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 1st, 2011, 9:53 PM
I'd like to correct my earlier post by saying that Ganso doesn't have as good an eye for a pass as Juan Sebastien Veron.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 1st, 2011, 9:58 PM
The whole summer it has been very quiet regarding Eden Hazard. Lille must be delighted, how has this happened? Really weird, maybe transfer chat is actually based on real stuff and he's just absolutely not for sale.

Andy
August 1st, 2011, 10:01 PM
I think that is the case. They've been pretty clear about that from the start of the summer; he stays for this year. The player has also said he wants to stay and play in the CL.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 10:03 PM
How good is Eden Hazard? From the little I've seen he looks quality. His younger brother is supposed to be top class, too. The Belgian squad will be quite tasty in a few years if these players live up to the hype.

Arsenal were meant to be interested in him, weren't they? Lille would be looking for a ridiculous fee so that's probably a non-starter.

Andy
August 1st, 2011, 10:08 PM
We've been linked with him for years. Won't get him now.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 1st, 2011, 10:12 PM
He's only 19 Andy, Arsenal have been linked with him for about 6 months since he became a first team player. Every club in Europe was linked with him last season, particularly Bayern Munich. It's just strange there's been no real chat about him this summer.

Andy
August 1st, 2011, 10:18 PM
Nope, it's an absolute minimum of two years ago that Wenger admitted he was interested and monitoring his situation.

Andy
August 1st, 2011, 10:22 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/arsenal/article6330118.ece

There's one article from over two years ago and I'm sure we were linked well before that too.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 10:23 PM
Last note on the Sneijder thing, ECG, if signing him means Rooney will be played anywhere other than behind a striker then I am totally against his signing. Rooney has been a revelation playing behind Hernandez, honestly it's the best I have ever seen him play.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 10:26 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/arsenal/article6330118.ece

There's one article from over two years ago and I'm sure we were linked well before that too.

Is that it? United have missed out on signing half the footballers currently in existence if we're using a single line in a convoluted paragraph as evidence of serious consideration.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 1st, 2011, 10:26 PM

He's linked there with Chelsea and Inter too so you might as well say he has been linked with them for years too for all it's worth. Regardless, Bayern apparently were the only team to actually bid for him last season.

Andy
August 1st, 2011, 10:31 PM
Google it, there's loads of articles. KMH asked if we'd been linked, I said we have been for years. You didn't believe that for some reason so I gave you an article. Nobody said Arsenal were the only club interested, he's been highly rated for years.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 1st, 2011, 10:39 PM
I like to think KMH meant properly interested. He's that kind of guy. If it was United, he'd accept Eden Hazard having said "man" "chest" and "hair" in the same sentence as a link but for Arsenal he wants concrete info.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 1st, 2011, 10:48 PM
man, chest hair? hmmm, sounds like Eden Hazard is being lined up as Giggsy's successor. Confirmed.

son_of_foley
August 2nd, 2011, 3:44 AM
Did everyone see Mckays comments on the barton thing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14367204.stm

"I've probably got the easiest job of any agent in the transfer window."

McKay added that Barton was disappointed when talks of a new deal broke down, but is confident the midfielder still has a bright future.

"Joey was disappointed. There was no way we were going to take a cut in his wages. He wanted four years, they wanted three," added McKay.

"He wanted to stay as he loves it up there and he's settled. He was playing great football.

McKay also praised Newcastle for sticking by Barton during a difficult patch for the 28-year-old, which saw him serve a 77-day prison sentence for assault, and said he would be happy to discuss ways of Barton staying at St James' Park.

"To be fair to Derek Llambias, he and the club did stick by Joey after his troubles but I thought he paid them back by playing well the year before and last season," said McKay.

"If Newcastle change their mind, I'm happy to meet Mike and Derek with Joey because Joey loves it up there."

Yes the 10-15 games at Championship level on your massive salary certainly did pay the club back for their loyalty to you earlier on. Before last season he averaged 19 games a year on a sizeable salary and yet he thinks he deserves a big increase. Fuck away off.

Mik
August 2nd, 2011, 4:27 AM
Similarly though, it can be argued that he didnt deserve a wage cut. Why would he accept a wage cut? He can get more elsewhere. Surely its perfectly obvious to everyone that Ashley is trying to get money for transfers and trying to hack down the wages. If he was going to reinvest that transfer money, or create a survivable financial structure for Newcastle, then fine (not for me obviously, I dont care if they survive). But I dont think that he is. I've never thought that he was going to reinvest the money. I think that he'll bleed as much transfer money out of their best players as he can, while hopefully leaving them with a skeleton team on low enough wages that the club isnt running at a loss, but good enough to stay in the Premiership while touting the club for sale. That way the transfer fees might amount to enough to cover the debts he paid off himself in the first place, while selling the club might earn him enough to get out with his hands relatively clean.

RFF Champ
August 2nd, 2011, 4:36 AM
We don't know the truth but he probably was offered less money. This is exactly what both parties want though. Barton has said that he wouldn't go for a fee this summer, he would just leave on a free next year. Unless he wants a payrise that being available for free would provide, why would he say that?

Ashley gets a high earner off the wage bill and Barton gets his move while playing the victim. Barton has played a blinder by being so disruptive.

Problem is it is causing unrest. Both Danny Simpson and Nile Ranger have tweeted their discontent since yesterday. What the fuck must Cabaye be thinking?

RFF Champ
August 2nd, 2011, 4:42 AM
Take this for what it's worth but it's from our local paper:

On two occasions he had agreed a contract only to step back at the last minute – first saying he needed assurances that United remained ambitious and then taking issue with the length of the deal.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/08/02/newcastle-s-united-s-summer-of-discontent-gets-worse-61634-29159539/#ixzz1TrK98NTw

I doubt he would agree them on reduced terms. If it's true of course. It also says he yelled at Cabaye at half time against Leeds, how dare he?

son_of_foley
August 2nd, 2011, 4:48 AM
Ashley trying to do what Mik described isnt this terrible idea though. The notion that he would throw 10s of millions into a fire to help Newcastle United from the goodness of his own heart is absurb and I dont know why so many Newcastle fans expect it, well I do it's ignorance of footballing finance.

If you can replace Alan Smith with Tiote and save money you're doing something right. If Hatem Ben Arfa is your new Kevin Nolan you're doing ok. If Cabaye is your Joey Barton replacement pat yourself on the back. Marveaux as well can play on the right cant he so that's Bartons other place covered. They do need another striker though but I think Ba will do very well for them/

Danny Simpson and Nial Ranger should shut up as well. I would think with Barton going we Newcastle will move for another player before end of window. Probably another winger for cover but hopefully another striker. I expect to see one of the GK go as well. If Enrique goes you'll probably see some sort of move but all in all the squad is probably around where it was last year maybe even a little ahead thanks to Ba coming in.

Mik
August 2nd, 2011, 4:49 AM
I think that Ashley wasnt stupid either. Theres rumours that if Barton allowed his contract to run down he'd get some ridiculously loyalty payments too, £5m is what I've heard quoted. Surely he wont still get that now?

Interestingly we have been linked to a £12m move for Adam Johnson from Man City, although the same article also claimed that Johnson was a well known Newcastle fan, so I doubt the legitimacy of the journalist considering Johnson is a lifelong Sunderland fan.

son_of_foley
August 2nd, 2011, 4:51 AM
Loyalty bonus is normally acrued through the course of his contract so I assume he was due 4/5ths of that but has perhaps agreed to less due to a year of extra wages

RFF Champ
August 2nd, 2011, 4:59 AM
Ashley trying to do what Mik described isnt this terrible idea though. The notion that he would throw 10s of millions into a fire to help Newcastle United from the goodness of his own heart is absurb and I dont know why so many Newcastle fans expect it, well I do it's ignorance of footballing finance.

If you can replace Alan Smith with Tiote and save money you're doing something right. If Hatem Ben Arfa is your new Kevin Nolan you're doing ok. If Cabaye is your Joey Barton replacement pat yourself on the back. Marveaux as well can play on the right cant he so that's Bartons other place covered. They do need another striker though but I think Ba will do very well for them/

Danny Simpson and Nial Ranger should shut up as well. I would think with Barton going we Newcastle will move for another player before end of window. Probably another winger for cover but hopefully another striker. I expect to see one of the GK go as well. If Enrique goes you'll probably see some sort of move but all in all the squad is probably around where it was last year maybe even a little ahead thanks to Ba coming in.

I agree with what he's doing as well but he's accountable for signing the Alan Smith's and Joey Barton's on 60k a week in the first place. What did he expect to happen when he signed off on these big long term contracts?

Our star striker was sold and Llambias insisted that we'd see every penny reinvested. Instead our net spend stands at 500k for the summer and we're as good as told that the money has been spent. Granted this doesn't account for agents fees but 35mil? Come on.

The signings I'm very happy with. Cabaye has looked very good in pre-season, HBA is a wonderful player and so on but we're still thin. We're selling Routledge when we only really have 2 wingers left, Guthrie is our key back up for CM along with Gosling who has clear fitness issues.

son_of_foley
August 2nd, 2011, 5:02 AM
I agree with what he's doing as well but he's accountable for signing the Alan Smith's and Joey Barton's on 60k a week in the first place. What did he expect to happen when he signed off on these big long term contracts?

Our star striker was sold and Llambias insisted that we'd see every penny reinvested. Instead our net spend stands at 500k for the summer and we're as good as told that the money has been spent. Granted this doesn't account for agents fees but 35mil? Come on.

The signings I'm very happy with. Cabaye has looked very good in pre-season, HBA is a wonderful player and so on but we're still thin. We're selling Routledge when we only really have 2 wingers left, Guthrie is our key back up for CM along with Gosling who has clear fitness issues.

There's no excuse for them lying about reinvesting. I'm not pro-Ashley I think he's a tosser but I think he's not the crook or villan a lot of people try to paint him to be. There should be more money spent there needs to be but looking at the business so far I don't think it's the destruction so many think it is.

RFF Champ
August 2nd, 2011, 5:04 AM
The fact that he's trying to make us self sufficient I quite like. I like that he looked to France for our signings where the wages and fees are lower than you'd expect here. As well as finding players who were attainable at lower prices such as HBA, Cabaye and Neil Taylor.

The main problem is all the lies that get told and that everytime we take a step forward we take a step back.

RFF Champ
August 2nd, 2011, 5:05 AM
I think that Ashley wasnt stupid either. Theres rumours that if Barton allowed his contract to run down he'd get some ridiculously loyalty payments too, £5m is what I've heard quoted. Surely he wont still get that now?

Interestingly we have been linked to a £12m move for Adam Johnson from Man City, although the same article also claimed that Johnson was a well known Newcastle fan, so I doubt the legitimacy of the journalist considering Johnson is a lifelong Sunderland fan.

I think Mancini said in a press conference the other day that there's no chance of Johnson leaving. I'd hate it if you signed him, really exciting player.

Mik
August 2nd, 2011, 5:16 AM
I think Mancini said in a press conference the other day that there's no chance of Johnson leaving. I'd hate it if you signed him, really exciting player.

Mancini talks a lot and Johnson wants to be playing week-in, week-out. I just cant believe that we're likely to be the only team in for us. I know that when we put a bid in for him he really wanted to come to us, but Man City trumped our transfer fee then blew our wages out of the water (I seem to remember that we offered around £30k and Man City were closer to £100k).

As for Ashley, I dont particularly think that there is anything so wrong with his plan for the fans to be so up in the air, other than the fact that you're getting rid of proven talent for unproven cheaper talent, it might backfire. At the least I'd say that Newcastle are definitely shaping themselves up to be a selling club, which I doubt will please the hugely ambitious fans.

Simon
August 2nd, 2011, 7:22 AM
A lot of people are saying we're close to signing Diarra. Good player, available at a good price...but not a priority. Sigh.

Bad Collin
August 2nd, 2011, 7:28 AM
Aquilani is available for £5.2 million apaz. He must be really pushing for a move or else we surely wouldn't sell at that price.

Alf
August 2nd, 2011, 7:33 AM
A lot of people are saying we're close to signing Diarra. Good player, available at a good price...but not a priority. Sigh.

And we are being strongly linked with Barton. Sigh.

I like Diarra, I haven't seen much of him from the last couple of years though. I just can't see where he fits.

There's chat of us going in hard for Llorente now. I'd like that. I'd like any striker that is better than ours right now actually.

Where are Jenas, Hutton, Bentley, and Keane still here? If I was levy I'd say they are available for a mil each. Done.

Simon
August 2nd, 2011, 7:36 AM
If signing Barton and/or Diarra means we relent a bit on the asking prices for our other midfielders then I suppose it would make sense. I'd take Barton on a free honestly.

Alf
August 2nd, 2011, 7:51 AM
I don't mind him as a player. But as a human I couldn't bare him to be at my club.

The Rosk
August 2nd, 2011, 7:54 AM
I'd take Hutton off your hands for some loose change.

I can't imagine Johnson going to Sunderland Mik. You being serious here.

Signings thus far:

David Vaughan - late 20s workhorse from a Championship club
Wes Brown - aging squad player for a big club
John O'Shea - aging squad player for a big club
Ji Dong-Won - Asian
Connor Wickham - youngster from a Championship club
Craig Gardner - workman from a Champioinship club
Sebastian Larsson - squad player from a Championship club

Doesn't really add up that they would just off him after a half-decent season added to the fact that he broke into the England team too.

Mik
August 2nd, 2011, 7:56 AM
Did you actually read my post about it mate?

I discredited the source and said that I couldnt imagine that we'd be the only team in for him. However he is a lifelong Sunderland fan and he was ready to sign for us before Man City came in, so he's not exactly AGAINST a move to us necessarily. Thats the extent of my speculation.

I think that you are being a bit dismissive of some of our signings there.

Rip
August 2nd, 2011, 7:56 AM
Not sure how much is in this but couple of places are saying we have a replacement for Barton already half done, bet no-one can guess which counrty from....

Simon
August 2nd, 2011, 7:57 AM
There is literally no possibility of Johnson going to Sunderland. If this was a Spurs fan talking about a similarly unlikely signing you lot would be fighting to get the first dig in.

Mik
August 2nd, 2011, 8:02 AM
Fucking hell, you as well?

I said that there was an article saying that we were apparently launching a £12m bid for him, but that the same article got a major piece of information wrong, so didnt seem the most legitimate. Then I said that I couldnt imagine we'd be the only team in for him even if we did launch a bid. Then I said that he was willing to sign for us before and was a well known Sunderland fan.

Personally I think that a bigger team would come in if he was available or he'd not accept the almost 50% wage cut he'd have to take to join us anyway. But who knows?

Thats it. If you said something such about a slightly higher level self-confessed Tottenham fan, I wouldnt say anything about it at all. You come up with MUCH worse than that regularly.

Bad Collin
August 2nd, 2011, 8:09 AM
There's chat of us going in hard for Llorente now. I'd like that. I'd like any striker that is better than ours right now actually.

There is literally no possibility of Johnson going to Sunderland. If this was a Spurs fan talking about a similarly unlikely signing you lot would be fighting to get the first dig in.

*Gets first dig in*

Simon
August 2nd, 2011, 8:11 AM
Exactly BC. We get slaughtered all the time for touting unrealistic targets. Even if it's just posting hypotheticals like Mik did.

Mik
August 2nd, 2011, 8:14 AM
Its not a hypothetical, I just mentioned in passing that I had seen it linked. Its actually been in a few articles. I actually wouldnt be hugely surprised if a loan deal is agreed for him somewhere.

The Rosk
August 2nd, 2011, 8:25 AM
Well Mik you did seem a lot more positive over it than I would be in your situation, that's all, what with the "Mancini talks a lot and Johnson wants to be playing week-in, week-out" chat. Not having a go at all.

Would be an incredible signing if it came off.

Mik
August 2nd, 2011, 9:36 AM
I think that a possible loan move is not completely off the cards. I think that he does want to play week in and week out and that Man City would be unlikely to sell him given the potential he has, Sunderland arent especially likely to be rivalling City and Johnson knows the area and loves the club. It does make a bit of sense. Not likely to happen though.

Alf
August 2nd, 2011, 10:01 AM
You are living in FANTASY LAND mik. Why don't you wake up and smell the roses? Wake up god damn you.

Mik
August 2nd, 2011, 10:05 AM
COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS.

Alf
August 2nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
SAND BATHS ARE FOR CLOSERS YOU FUCKING FLUFF BALL!

Rip
August 2nd, 2011, 1:57 PM
Newcastle back in for Tranquillo Barnetta according to local news now.

Anyone know if apart from a marvelous name he's any good?

Mik
August 2nd, 2011, 2:01 PM
He was good when I had him on Football Manager.

Looked good when he scored two goals against England the other month.

Lagom
August 2nd, 2011, 2:04 PM
He's currently the standout player in my Liverpool team pre-season, alongside Xherdan Shaqiri :dunno:

Gary J
August 2nd, 2011, 2:04 PM
He's looked pretty good whenever i've seen him play. He could do better then Newcastle to be honest.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 2nd, 2011, 2:09 PM
I think Shaqiri's going to be mint. One of the best players at the recent u-21 World Cup.

RFF Champ
August 2nd, 2011, 2:43 PM
I've not read anything in the past few hours but Barnetta was left out of a friendly at the weekend, for what it's worth.

Rip
August 2nd, 2011, 2:47 PM
Talks were supposed to be 'advanced' whatever that means

RFF Champ
August 2nd, 2011, 2:52 PM
We've been linked with him a few times over the summer. I'd be chuffed if we signed him, good player and it means I won't worry so much about Marveaux's injury record.

Rip
August 2nd, 2011, 3:20 PM
I'd be happier if we sorted out another striker and a left back, although I'm not convinced we'll get a striker worth having before the season starts.

RFF Champ
August 2nd, 2011, 5:52 PM
There's a bit of speculation around that we've sold Enrique to Liverpool and we'll get a player in return.

Bad Collin
August 2nd, 2011, 5:54 PM
Ngog would make most sense.

RFF Champ
August 2nd, 2011, 6:09 PM
My initial thought was Joe Cole on loan. I don't think we'd go for N'Gog.

I'm not sure we'd take the wages on of any of your players though. Didn't you send a couple of youngsters to Fulham for Konchesky deal to happen? I think it'll be that.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 2nd, 2011, 6:11 PM
what happened with Ngog to Sunderland?

Bad Collin
August 2nd, 2011, 6:12 PM
The Mirror are saying it's £5 million: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Liverpool-Newcastle-Jose-Enrique-5million-article780294.html

RFF Champ
August 2nd, 2011, 6:29 PM
Nobby Solano scored against Sunderland tonight, let's just sign him and be done with it.

Andy
August 2nd, 2011, 6:36 PM
We MUST be in for him at 5m. Jesus.

Bad Collin
August 2nd, 2011, 6:43 PM
Telegraph is saying £10 million...

Simon
August 3rd, 2011, 7:22 AM
http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg618/scaled.php?tn=0&server=618&filename=iz2jf.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

:lol:

Alf
August 3rd, 2011, 7:29 AM
Why can't french blacks dress themselves? What the fuck is that he's got on?

Simon
August 3rd, 2011, 7:30 AM
His eyes are screaming "help".

Alf
August 3rd, 2011, 7:31 AM
It's like he's only just realised that he's signing for Aston Villa...

"I thought you were saying 'Arsene Wenger'..."

Ringo
August 3rd, 2011, 7:39 AM
"I thought you were saying 'Arsene Wenger'..."

:lol:

The Rosk
August 3rd, 2011, 7:57 AM
Won't it be weird this season when Modric and Van der Vaart will be looking at eachother in the dressing room wishing they would be anywhere but at Spurs?

Honestly VdV must be wondering what the fuck he was thinking.

Simon
August 3rd, 2011, 7:59 AM
VDV's made absolutely no noises about leaving. Probably recognises that he's not quite at the level of outgrowing the club the way Stewart "Hollywood" Downing did for your lot.

The Rosk
August 3rd, 2011, 8:02 AM
I am absolutely fine with us selling players for outrageous prices and then bringing in better younger ones for less than half the price. If we kept doing this we'd be the best club in the land within ten years.

Mik
August 3rd, 2011, 8:40 AM
Better team this year lads.

Alf
August 3rd, 2011, 9:49 AM
Latest SHITE from various papers is Crouch to Sunderland (do you even need/want new strikers?)

Llorente to us.

Samba to us. Keane and Hutton the other way.

Alf
August 3rd, 2011, 9:51 AM
Won't it be weird this season when Modric and Van der Vaart will be looking at eachother in the dressing room wishing they would be anywhere but at Spurs?

Honestly VdV must be wondering what the fuck he was thinking.

Would that be the team that finished 5th despite playing shit and displaying an inabilty to score for most of the season?

Must be HORRIBLE to play for Spurs, you are right.

The Rosk
August 3rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
As a Champions League player? And Modric wanting to leave? Probably. 5th is as good as 9th for VDV.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 3rd, 2011, 11:17 AM
what the fuck is going on with spurs? you've signed the young african but there seems to be nowt else on. The current Spurs squad is a 'football manager' dream, great players but definite room for improvement. Such a decent foundation to push on from, though; it'll be a shame if they don't at the very least put themselves in contention for a top four place this season

RFF Champ
August 3rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
A PSG spokesman said about Erdinc's availability: “The fax machine is on, the door is open, but no-one has made a bid.”

:nono:

MACE
August 3rd, 2011, 2:26 PM
Sunderland in for Shaun Wright-Phillips...

Ringo
August 3rd, 2011, 2:31 PM
Well Malbranque is off to St. Etienne appaz.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 3rd, 2011, 2:35 PM
Would be a good signing for Sunderland I think.

Rip
August 3rd, 2011, 2:48 PM
A PSG spokesman said about Erdinc's availability: “The fax machine is on, the door is open, but no-one has made a bid.”

:nono:

Hang on, didn't they confirm we'd bid a couple of weeks ago?

Mik
August 3rd, 2011, 3:02 PM
Latest SHITE from various papers is Crouch to Sunderland (do you even need/want new strikers?)

Llorente to us.

Samba to us. Keane and Hutton the other way.

Think that we need a proven striker to go alongside two young unproven strikers, but dont think that another big lad is necessarily what we need.

Sunderland in for Shaun Wright-Phillips...

I'd take him, defo.

We're being linked by a couple of Manchester websites with a loan move for Johnson, apparently Everton want him too and Chelsea are keeping an eye on the situation, but obviously City wouldnt let him go to a fellow title contender.

Winkle van Tinkle
August 3rd, 2011, 3:08 PM
Stop mentioning Johnson, he wont come to you shits

Mik
August 3rd, 2011, 3:13 PM
Probably not. But we'll see.

Rip
August 3rd, 2011, 3:15 PM
Wright-Phillips would be a good addition to our beloved neighbours, seems like Crouch is going as he's being linked with a new club every time you turn round, I'm always suprised how few he scores though.

MACE
August 3rd, 2011, 3:49 PM
I'd take him, defo.

We're being linked by a couple of Manchester websites with a loan move for Johnson, apparently Everton want him too and Chelsea are keeping an eye on the situation, but obviously City wouldnt let him go to a fellow title contender.

Yeah can't see Johnson going anywhere actually. But SWP would be a good move.

Are your strike force all fit again now?

There's been serious turnover up there hasn't there. What is it, 9 or so new players??

Simon
August 3rd, 2011, 3:53 PM
Someone on the latest Ramble made a good point today - given the players brought in, Bruce has to be under pressure from the off this season to get the team playing well.

Mik
August 3rd, 2011, 3:57 PM
I think that by buying SO many, he will be given a little leniency over the fact that it might take a little while for the team to bed together.

However, he definitely needs to be making an improvement based on the amount of money he's spent in the past couple of seasons, particularly when it comes to not having a HUGE dip in form like we have since he took over.

I'd give him to Christmas and see what he does. But if we'd done that last time, we would've been 6th at Christmas.

JIJ
August 3rd, 2011, 4:12 PM
Joe Cole, Adel Taarabt and Kieron Dyer playing behind Jay Bothroyd.

Boomshakalaka

Winkle van Tinkle
August 3rd, 2011, 4:22 PM
Joke club.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 3rd, 2011, 8:04 PM
It's quite odd for Bob Cass to make up quotes like that, he's been Fergie's go-to guy for transfer stories for years. I think it's more likely that he printed something that should have been kept private, rather than fabricating the quote.

A few days later

‪Sir Alex Ferguson insulta a reportero‬‏ - YouTube

MACE
August 4th, 2011, 5:18 AM
What did Fergie say?
I heard a "fucking" and a "fuck off", but what was the rest?!

Needless to say, he wasn't happy...

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 5:21 AM
Still no striker, still at least we're not nine days away from the start of the oh wait.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 5:22 AM
Still, at least we haven't spent £50m on this mediocre lot.

http://images.football365.com/11/08/496x259/Liverpool_2630797.jpg

Lagom
August 4th, 2011, 5:39 AM
You haven't spent £50m on anyone mate......

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 5:42 AM
I'd rather spend half that on one player we actually need :dunno: Downing is the only one I can really understand of your purchases.

MikeHunt
August 4th, 2011, 5:50 AM
liverpool to finish above spurs in the epl. 100%.

striker or no striker, spurs will finish below liverpool.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 5:55 AM
Based on what? We finished four points ahead of them and beat them home and away last season, and I don't see that either side has made massive improvements. We've yet to make any real moves in the window, Liverpool have spent big but IMO not added anyone that significantly improves them, bar maybe Downing.

The media are talking about the 'big five' without us in it again as well, which is helpful as it takes the pressure off us. Even without a striker I'd fancy us to be as good or better than them again, with a classy striker we can get fourth.

Beefy
August 4th, 2011, 5:57 AM
I'm so bored of this talk about Spurs' strikers. They were good enough to get them into the Champions League in the first place and now they have VDV who basically plays up front as well. Obviously none of Pav, Defoe or Crouch scored enough last season but they did do the season before. Seems like poor Management in not getting the best out of them, to me.

MikeHunt
August 4th, 2011, 6:00 AM
over all better squad depth at liverpool, for a start.

i honestly don't think modric will be a spurs player come the end of the window, instantly taking a big chunk of creativity out of spurs. in addition to the striker situation would make me think liverpool will finish ahead of spurs.

honestly it pains me to say it cause i hate those cunts, but they just look the stronger team this year.

son_of_foley
August 4th, 2011, 6:04 AM
Do you think Kenny sees Adam as the Alonso replacement they have wanted for a while? Aquilani may get a chance as well. I think Liverpool will push spurs incredibly close. You may have beaten them home and away yes all that means is they were a home result away from being ahead of you last season... Spurs may have been poor at times but so were liverpool. They also have moved to remove the reliance on Gerrard and Torres.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 6:14 AM
I'm so bored of this talk about Spurs' strikers. They were good enough to get them into the Champions League in the first place and now they have VDV who basically plays up front as well. Obviously none of Pav, Defoe or Crouch scored enough last season but they did do the season before. Seems like poor Management in not getting the best out of them, to me.

Probably partly poor management, but then again you can't say the previous year it was the strikers doing well and that year it was bad management, either you give Redknapp credit for the previous year as well as blame for that year, or neither.

Personally I think we need a top striker not because any of the players we have are outright bad, but none of them are qute good enough for where we want to be.

For all the talk of Defoe being past his best, I can't see him having as bad a season again and it's worth remembering he was out for months during the middle of the season and took a while to get back into shape - the goals he scored towards the end of the season showed what he can do and he scored nine in 30 appearances (plus three in three for England), most of which were as sub. Not a particularly impressive record by any means but not the horror show it was made out to be.

We all know what Crouch is about, he's a useful weapon to have as a last resort but you have to build the team around him. He showed in Europe that teams don't always know how to handle him, but in the league teams are clearly used to him and know how to combat him - accept that he'll probably win the first header, but be ready to win the second ball every time.

Pavlyuchenko is the enigma. He's capable of being very good indeed, but more often than not he is infuriatingly indifferent. I also don't think we play to his strengths - he likes to drop deep like VDV, so it isn't a natural partnership. Towards the end of the season he improved massively and by all accounts he is going to be given more time to play next season.

I have a sneaking suspicion that even Keane might come back with a point to prove and fight for a place. Whether he's able to recapture form which he lost literally about three years ago is anyone's guess.

None of them are shit. All of them are worth keeping as squad players, but none of them are good enough to start and so, with new strikers brought in, some of them have to go. I would look to keep Defoe and Pav and get rid of Crouch and Keane personally, with two strikers coming in. Realistically we will probably only get one in.

Alf
August 4th, 2011, 6:15 AM

Even the season before last the goal tally was shite. Only Defoe really scored a decent amount.

Crouch got 8 league goals (4 last season)
Pav got 5 (10 last season)
Defoe got 18 - although inflated by the 5 against Wigan (4 last season)

We have had difficulty accomodating VdV but still, their contribution wasn't great before and it was shocking last season. We DO need a new striker (or two).

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 6:17 AM
over all better squad depth at liverpool, for a start.

i honestly don't think modric will be a spurs player come the end of the window, instantly taking a big chunk of creativity out of spurs. in addition to the striker situation would make me think liverpool will finish ahead of spurs.

honestly it pains me to say it cause i hate those cunts, but they just look the stronger team this year.

Modric will stay.

It is worth remembering that Liverpool were exceptional in the second half of last season though, league-winning form arguably. But I still think that, assuming (and I do think it's a fair assumption ultimately) we get a top striker in, we will be as good or better than them, and signing Charlie Adam won't change that.

Bad Collin
August 4th, 2011, 6:22 AM
I don't agree that our signings have been mediocre. Hendo will pay back his £16 million fee by being a key part of the team for a decade, Downing will provide the width we have been desparate for, Doni is an excellent back up and Adam can play when we need a deep lying playmaker. They all add something, they know the PL and they are not going to agitate for a move to Barca or Real.

We are building for the future and I love it, we may not be finished this year either.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 7:17 AM
Llorente and Nilmar are the latest rumours :zzz: come on

son_of_foley
August 4th, 2011, 7:20 AM
Wigan will be interesting this year. DAVEY JONES, McCarthy McArthur. Moses playing a lot more. Sammon looking a good player. Fingers crossed for them.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 7:26 AM
That Sammon looked very handy when I saw him last season. Big and strong and a good finisher.

Alf
August 4th, 2011, 7:26 AM
Llorente is relatively reasonable.

I don't know much about Nilmar to be honest. Is he unobtainable?

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 7:32 AM
He's a regular for Villarreal but probably could be bought if the price was right. I'm just sick of hearing a new name every day.

Llorente might actually be a more realistic prospect than people think, as he's now in that weird position players sometimes get where they resign themselves to leaving under the impression that a top side (Real Madrid, in Llorente's case) are going to come in for them, then the move doesn't come off and they end up moving to a smaller club.

Bilbao want to cash in on him but the top sides that were supposedly interested in him no longer seem so keen, so we could jump in. He had a decent season at Bilbao, scored 18 league goals.

Alf
August 4th, 2011, 7:33 AM
He's a Basque lad though and Bilbao are a basque club so he might have Loyalty 20.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 7:35 AM
Didn't have Loyalty 20 when Madrid were after him. We're going to need him to have Ambition 15 and Loyalty about 12. Not too ambitious cos then he won't want to join us.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 7:35 AM
Carlton Cole for £6m on deadline day is my bet though.

Chris Scott
August 4th, 2011, 7:55 AM
I don't agree that our signings have been mediocre. Hendo will pay back his £16 million fee by being a key part of the team for a decade, Downing will provide the width we have been desparate for, Doni is an excellent back up and Adam can play when we need a deep lying playmaker. They all add something, they know the PL and they are not going to agitate for a move to Barca or Real.

We are building for the future and I love it, we may not be finished this year either.

Nicely put.

At least we haven't paid £50m for 2 foreign players who are supposed to be excellent but need 5 million years to settle but end ul being shit on evidence of the first 5 games.

Linked with Gary Cahill today as Martin Turtle will miss the start of the season.

Andy
August 4th, 2011, 8:11 AM
A rumour which Owen Coyle has swiftly dismissed as bollocks.

Winkle van Tinkle
August 4th, 2011, 8:15 AM
Personally I think Liverpool have bought ok players for extortionate fees. But is that worse than buying no-one for nothing?

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 9:33 AM
Chelsea have signed that Barcelona kiddy.

Two multiplied by ten, plus one - Romeu done.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Hutton and Keane to Villa is apparently near enough done. Everyone knew about Hutton going there but didn't know about Keane.

Not sure exactly why they would want Keane but the fee is a shade under £10m which sounds about right, and it's £100k a week off the wage bill. Hopefully this will now lead to some incomings.

Any info on this Villa lads?

MikeHunt
August 4th, 2011, 10:16 AM
good, finally some gme time for hutton.

Alf
August 4th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Hutton and Keane to Villa is apparently near enough done. Everyone knew about Hutton going there but didn't know about Keane.

Not sure exactly why they would want Keane but the fee is a shade under £10m which sounds about right, and it's £100k a week off the wage bill. Hopefully this will now lead to some incomings.

Please god. Please be true.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Re-reading the info I think it might be £10m for those two plus Jenas, which is a better deal for them in terms of outlay but also gets another £2m a year off our wage bill, so hopefully that is true. £10m for those three is a pretty decent deal even if Keane doesn't recapture his form. I do wonder whether The Rosk will be able to handle the humiliation of signing Jenas after all he's said about him during his Spurs career though.

Alf
August 4th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Even better.

son_of_foley
August 4th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Wouldnt be suprised if Stoke had an eye on Keane and even Jenas

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 10:49 AM
You heard the latest news Alfalfa? Diarra and Adebayor both to sign. Would love that.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Wouldnt be suprised if Stoke had an eye on Keane and even Jenas

Jenas is very much a Stoke kind of player - works very hard and knows his limitations so will give the ball to the wingers as Pulis demands of his centre mids. Only problem is he doesn't want to leave London supposedly, hence the stalling on the Villa deal.

Stoke are the go-to guys for any players not quite good enough for upper-midtable sides. Also every half-decent huge or quick black player around.

1_Pablo_Angel
August 4th, 2011, 11:22 AM

Heard absolutely nothing except on transferrumours.com which is 99% bollocks.

I don't believe this.

Alf
August 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM
BEN is saying we've bid for Samba and offered them Bentley in return...

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 11:30 AM
This isn't aimed specifically at 1PA but I love the difference in people's willingness to believe depending on whether or not the players are shite :D

Keano's Magic Hat
August 4th, 2011, 11:30 AM
who is this BEN? I've read his name on here a few times

Alf
August 4th, 2011, 11:31 AM
A poster on fromthelane who used to live right near the training ground and used to hang around there a lot. He got quite chummy with a few players and coaches. He now works for the club in some capacity.

1_Pablo_Angel
August 4th, 2011, 11:33 AM
This isn't aimed specifically at 1PA but I love the difference in people's willingness to believe depending on whether or not the players are shite :D

This is true. I think I'd be sceptical of any big links right now though, given that we've said we're trying to cut the wage bill and that we won't be bringing anyone else in this Summer.

How many times have we been 'about to buy' all your castoffs? About 4,780,092 and it still hasn't happened.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Or if you prefer, he learned of a lot of our transfers and team selections from climbing up a tree outside the ground :D

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 11:34 AM
This is true. I think I'd be sceptical of any big links right now though, given that we've said we're trying to cut the wage bill and that we won't be bringing anyone else in this Summer.

How many times have we been 'about to buy' all your castoffs? About 4,780,092 and it still hasn't happened.

But if it leads to you signing JJ, it will all have been worth it :D

MMH
August 4th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Gelson Fernandes has gone to Leicester on loan.

I would have liked him at Everton. Leicester are building a pretty good team there.

Ringo
August 4th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Also every half-decent huge or quick black player around.

Looks like Swansea are trying to take over the mantle for fast black smallish forwards.

Scott Sinclair, Nathan Dyer, Wayne Routledge, Leroy Lita, Luke Moore.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I remember at uni someone at a house party had completed a sticker album for the 2008-09 season or the one before, and we had great fun drunkenly working out who had the ugliest team (United), who had the hardest team (Chelsea) and who had the blackest team (closely-fought contest between Wigan and Reading, with Ibrahim Sonko producing a virtuoso performance to win it for Reading).

Lagom
August 4th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I think we'd push United pretty close for ugliest team now, no doubt

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Losing Nando has really fucked you in those stakes, although Andy Carroll proved surprisingly popular among a group of girls I'm friends with. None of them can oust my Niko though. My missus begrudgingly admitted that he is even more beautiful than Beckham.

United have historically always had one handsome player. First it was Giggs, then when he gradually became more simian Beckham turned up, then as soon as he left it was Ronaldo...now who? Owen? Berbatov at a pinch? Hernandez would probably make a pretty girl but as a man he's just not cutting it. Valencia has a black Sean Bean-esque quality of just looking unrelentingly tough.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Chelsea have quite an ugly side as well. Take Cuntley and Torres out and they're all either gnarled, war-era Englishmen (Terry, McEachran) or freakish, misshapen black lads like Essien and Drogba.

Ringo
August 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Our Portuguese contingent is a mixed bag. Paulo and Hilario are very attractive men. Bosingwa, anything but.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 4th, 2011, 11:57 AM
United have a sexy team

Lagom
August 4th, 2011, 12:12 PM
http://assets2.lfcimages.com/uploads/players/pro_peter_gulascsi.jpg

http://assets1.lfcimages.com/uploads/players/profile_john_flanagan.jpghttp://assets.lfcimages.com/uploads/players/pro_sotirios_kyrgiakos.jpghttp://assets3.lfcimages.com/uploads/players/pro_martin_skrtel_.jpghttp://assets2.lfcimages.com/uploads/players/pro_daniel_agger_.jpg

http://assets1.lfcimages.com/uploads/players/pro_jay_spearing.jpghttp://assets.lfcimages.com/uploads/players/pro_alberto_aquilani.jpghttp://assets2.lfcimages.com/uploads/players/adam263a_4e1638a91c302847980471.jpg

http://assets2.lfcimages.com/uploads/players/pro_dirk_kuyt.jpghttp://assets2.lfcimages.com/uploads/players/pro_luis_suarez.jpg

http://assets.lfcimages.com/uploads/players/pro_andy_carroll.jpg

SheltonLondon
August 4th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Think Everton aren't a bad shout for best looking team, sure we've got our little gremlins like Hibbo and Leon Osman..... and Fellaini is something else entirely. But we've got Tim Cahill, Mikel 'Tom Cruise' Arteta, Phil Jagielka (whose name is on more female shirts than you could imagine at the ground) Jack Rodwell, and even Jermaine Beckford for those after a bit of rough.

Yeah...so.......really fit team........

Andy
August 4th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Modric will stay.

Really?

MMH
August 4th, 2011, 1:03 PM
Think Everton aren't a bad shout for best looking team, sure we've got our little gremlins like Hibbo and Leon Osman..... and Fellaini is something else entirely. But we've got Tim Cahill, Mikel 'Tom Cruise' Arteta, Phil Jagielka (whose name is on more female shirts than you could imagine at the ground) Jack Rodwell, and even Jermaine Beckford for those after a bit of rough.

Yeah...so.......really fit team........

Distin is a fine looking man too even if he has got an oddly shaped head.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 1:07 PM
Um...yeah, what's the confusion? There's not exactly much reason to think he will go at the moment - we've gone public that we're not selling under any circumstances, the player has accepted it and knuckled down, and Chelsea haven't even decided whether they want to put in another bid. They've also just signed a kid who plays in his position with the (supposed) intention of playing him this season.

When Essien got injured I was worried that they might make a huge bid to push the deal through, but it seems like they've signed this kid with the intention of using him for a season or two before potentially selling him back to Barca - basically another fake loan deal to free up funds for Barca.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 1:08 PM
We don't have many lookers. Niko obviously wins the whole thing on his own but beyond that we've only got Charlie, Dawson, maybe Lennon if you like the scumbag look.

Ringo
August 4th, 2011, 1:19 PM
Romeu doesn't play in the same position as Modric at all. We're clearly still in need of a creative type, even if they do play further back like Modric does. Fully expect us to make another offer. AVB has hinted at it, Zhirkov's move to Anzhi should bring in the money to do it, Modric "wants to move as much as ever" according to SKY SOURCES.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 1:27 PM
What I mean is they both play centre mid. He's more of a ball-playing deep-lying midfielder (in the Barca mould) than a stopper, so I'd imagine him playing in front of Mikel rather than in place of him. He fills the gap left by Essien, with McEachran likely to get more games this year as well...I think his signing turns Modric from a "must have" to a "would like", if that makes sense.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 4th, 2011, 1:30 PM
It seems like the problem for Chelsea is freeing up squad places because so few of their players count as home-grown, so they're restricted in the number of senior players they can register. Romeu doesn't count because he is under 21, neither would Lukaku if he is signed (although that looks in the balance now going by his comments this week). Zhirkov going frees up a senior squad place.

Even if Chelsea get Modric that squad has serious problems. Way too many central midfielders, almost a total lack of key players in the 24-29 range. At some point the old guard won't be able to steam them through the hard times any longer. I don't think Torres fits any system they might realistically play. I reckon Chelsea have as many problems as Arsenal personnel-wise, it's just whether players like Lampard, Terry and Drogba can be relied to do it again and whether Malouda and Anelka will be arsed enough.

MikeHunt
August 4th, 2011, 1:31 PM
i really think that modric will end up at united or chelsea.

i'm hoping for a deadline day mega bid from one of the mentioned clubs and the shapeshifter to be unable to resist the £ signs flashing before him!

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 1:31 PM
I do think that Chelsea could be our best chance at breaking the top four again this year, Arsenal always seem to do just enough. I just hope they are still coasting along just holding onto a top four spot by January and then collapse, if the start off shite then they'll just buy the whole world again like last year and make it comfortably.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 1:32 PM
i really think that modric will end up at united or chelsea.

i'm hoping for a deadline day mega bid from one of the mentioned clubs and the shapeshifter to be unable to resist the £ signs flashing before him!

I'm more worried about him going to United than Chelsea now. Chelsea will keep coming out in public with big bids and pissing off Levy, whereas United will firm up any interest with a huge bid and complete the whole deal in forty-five minutes one lunchtime when I'm out napping in the sun.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 4th, 2011, 1:34 PM
If Modric only wants to go to Chelsea it won't matter what United do. I think United would already have made a big bid if they thought they could get him.

Simon
August 4th, 2011, 1:36 PM
I can't think of a reason why anyone would exclusively want to go to Chelsea rather than United. Maybe the lure of London could make a little difference but under normal circumstances I don't think it's a tough decision, especially now United have begun to offer comparative wages to Chelsea if not City.

Ringo
August 4th, 2011, 1:38 PM
What I mean is they both play centre mid. He's more of a ball-playing deep-lying midfielder (in the Barca mould) than a stopper, so I'd imagine him playing in front of Mikel rather than in place of him. He fills the gap left by Essien, with McEachran likely to get more games this year as well...I think his signing turns Modric from a "must have" to a "would like", if that makes sense.

Romeu isn't going to be first choice though. Modric clearly would. I think a player like Modric is still a must have and I don't think Romeu coming in changes that. As you say, he fills the gap left by Essien.

Also, I've seen him play and agree that he is more "in the Barca mould" (obviously), BUT this is what Barca's official website posted earlier, referring to him as a "tough tackling stopper". :D

Tough tackling midfielder

Oriol Romeu made his name with the Club’s child and youth teams not as a typical Barça midfielder, but rather as a tough tackling stopper.

Barça B drew 2-2 at Betis last season with a goal from Oriol Romeu, which typified his abilities. Romeu pressured for possession and fired home his goal under pressure when it looked impossible.

Romeu’s character, his aggression and his strong physique are the qualities which have distinguished the youngster since he joined the Club in the summer of 2004.

Strength

He joined the Club at the Infantil A level in the 2004.05 season and was supported by coach Sergio Lobera, who made him play as a defensive midfielder.

We could definitely have some real problems over the next couple of years as the old guard fade away and the younger players are forced to step up. Doesn't bother me - I'd happily win nothing for a few seasons if it meant we got that much needed stability and the next generation were able to come through gradually. It just depends if Roman is willing to wait. Unlikely, but Guus Hiddink did say last week that he'd spoken with Abramovich (presumably prior to AVB's arrival) and convinced him that what Chelsea needed was some stability, following Arsenal and United's lead. We shall see.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 4th, 2011, 1:39 PM
Modric was quoted as saying he specifically wanted a move to Chelsea back in that interview that kicked it all off after their initial bid. Due to wanting to stay in London. I would imagine United had a little feel around and it got back that he'd prefer Chelsea if given a choice and then probably thought "fuck him then." Ferguson seems to prefer going for players who put their football career first.

Keano's Magic Hat
August 4th, 2011, 1:57 PM
Quite right, too. Now let's sign Sneijder so he and his missus can promote their 'brand' in the English speaking market.

Lawson
August 4th, 2011, 2:54 PM
Quite right, too. Now let's sign Sneijder so he and his missus can promote their 'brand' in the English speaking market.

I know Manchester's population is pretty diverse but that seems disproportionately limited.