PDA

View Full Version : The Transfer Rumours Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Andy
January 18th, 2011, 7:55 AM
I'd be really surprised if VDV is on as 'little' as 75k a week. Spurs will have to smash their wage structure sooner or later if they want to stay in and around the CL places for a while. You won't get the Fabianos or Beckhams of this world for 75k a week.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 18th, 2011, 7:56 AM
Well the explanation is that they thought they were getting him for free and had a deal agreed ages ago, but then Chelsea had a bid accepted so Spurs had to now match that bid or risk losing him. Spurs remain favourites to get him because Chelsea's contract offer is much lower.

Beefy
January 18th, 2011, 8:13 AM
You could make a football argument for choosing Spurs over Chelsea anyway. Regardless of their recent slump I don't see them spending the money needed to be in and around the Title hunt over the next few years.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 18th, 2011, 8:21 AM
Well they've been reported to be in talks to sign Alexis Sanchez and David Luiz, so they're obviously making some effort at investing in the future. Spurs need to be in the CL next season again before they're seen by anyone as the genuine article, otherwise they could simply be picked off for their best players themselves.

Alf
January 18th, 2011, 8:28 AM
I don't get this Pienaar move. I don't understand why we'd pay him so much. Yeah, the fee is probably quite low in comparison but he's never really stood out for me. It's an odd one.

Hopefully the rumours of Sunderland sniffing round Keane and Pav are true.

Beefy
January 18th, 2011, 8:33 AM
Well they've been reported to be in talks to sign Alexis Sanchez and David Luiz, so they're obviously making some effort at investing in the future. Spurs need to be in the CL next season again before they're seen by anyone as the genuine article, otherwise they could simply be picked off for their best players themselves.

Nothing has gone beyond 'reported' though. Their actions in the transfer market back up what they have been saying about their finances, which is that they need to turn around the £60m that they lost this year - hence the budget signings and the squad players being shipped out last summer. This move with an apparently low contract offer for a cut-price player out of contract next summer is perfectly consistent. A €30m bid for Sanchez is not.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 18th, 2011, 8:36 AM
I doubt they will pay €30 million for Sanchez or that he will go this January. I don't doubt that they may have tried to get him for less, but Udinese need him more now than they need the money, unless the money is monstrous.

What will hurt Chelsea more? Not signing a couple of class players and finishing 5th, or spending the money to strengthen their squad and stay in the CL? It's the same dilemma that faces Spurs, except Spurs don't have the luxury of several years of established CL performances to fall back on in terms of attracting players.

turdpower
January 18th, 2011, 9:24 AM
Have Everton got any money to bring in a couple of players? Seems like they could really do with a striker. Keane to them wouldn't be too mad.

MMH
January 18th, 2011, 9:26 AM
Can't see that happening. We nearly let the deal go over a difference in valuation of £500k. Our financial structure DOES allow us to pay top whack for a player if we feel they justify breaking with the norm but I can't see us doing it for Pienaar. Although I suppose it's possible that because the transfer fee is so low for a player of his ability, his agent can justify demanding higher wages as it's still good value for the buying side overall.

The thing is you have to consider the likelihood of the players you already have demanding parity if you get someone in on huge wages, and I can't see that happening for a player like Pienaar, good though he is. If he is even among our top earners (I think VDV is on £75k approx and is the best paid player we have) I would be surprised, let alone smashing the wage structure.

Pienaar was offered 60k for us. He wanted parity with Arteta who is on 75k so I would be amazed if he doesnt pick up 75k at Spurs.

MMH
January 18th, 2011, 9:27 AM
Have Everton got any money to bring in a couple of players? Seems like they could really do with a striker. Keane to them wouldn't be too mad.

God no.

We dont have much hence us shipping out Yakubu and Pienaar. We still want Mbokani on loan.

Simon
January 18th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Guardian reckon Chelsea have hijacked the Bent deal.

Bennedy
January 18th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I don't know how I would feel about Darren Bent at Chelsea.

Don't see it happening myself. I think Villa have this one.

MikeHunt
January 18th, 2011, 10:14 AM
the only thing that makes me think it could be true is he could play in the champions leauge.

other than that i would say bollocks.

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah I saw that last night Simon. He is agreeing terms as we speak I hear.

Simon
January 18th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Bent would score a shitload of goals for Chelsea but people still wouldn't rate him and he wouldn't get picked for England. The new Andy Cole.

turdpower
January 18th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Drogba, Anelka, Kalou, Sturridge. Chelseas problems don't really lie upfront.

Simon
January 18th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Two of them old, one of them crap, one of them unproven.

Bennedy
January 18th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Two of them old, one of them crap, one of them unproven.

Spot on.

RFF Champ
January 18th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Few rumours going round that Steve Bruce is going to walk because of the Bent deal.

Beefy
January 18th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Bruce would be mad to walk unless he's not getting any of the cash to spend.

Bennedy
January 18th, 2011, 10:29 AM
This could be mental. Bent to Chelsea, Bruce walks and Villa end up with nothing.

It won't happen though.

RFF Champ
January 18th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I don't think he's going to get a better job at this time either. Their board have been ambitious in their spending in the past few years so you can't see they wouldn't back him now he's pushing for Europe and give him a portion of the Bent money.

Alf
January 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Why would Bruce walk? He could spend 10 mil on Pav. Job done.

1_Pablo_Angel
January 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Bent is ours. Press conference this afternoon.

Beefy
January 18th, 2011, 10:41 AM
If the deal is anything like what is being quoted (£18m-£24m) then of course Sunderland have to sell. That's a mental transfer fee. They've got Gyan & Wellbeck to see out this season then Bruce can bring someone in to replace Bent next summer.

Alf
January 18th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Or just buy Pav now.

son_of_foley
January 18th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Except Pav is shit. That's me spotter of Benjani, Carlton Cole and other strikers saying that yes Pav is shite. Few redeeming features about him. Always seems to need a bazillion chances to score. SHITE

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I love the way that is mental when he is the third highest scorer in the Prem for the last five years. But then Dzeko goes for £27m, Milner for £24m, Aquilani for £17m, and these all get forgotten. Bent is *fingers crossed and touching all the wood I can find* in many ways a reliable goalscorer which we have genuinely never had since Dwight Yorke.

Look at the list of strikers we've had since Yorke:

Angel
Vassell
Crouch
Moore
Phillips
Allback
Agbonlahor
Carew
Heskey
Baros

None of those scream "reliable 20 goal a season man". If we play 4-5-1 which I hope we do, then Bent might hopefully be worth it. I dunno. It's a lot of money but we definitely needed a striker. Carew looks like he is playing with a broken back, Gabby can't seem to shake off his injury and Fonz isn't ready for a full-time starting place.

Beefy
January 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I've never rated Pav. They'd be better off trying to get Robbie Keane on the cheap whilst they look at a long-term replacement.

Beefy
January 18th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I love the way that is mental when he is the third highest scorer in the Prem for the last five years. But then Dzeko goes for £27m, Milner for £24m, Aquilani for £17m, and these all get forgotten. Bent is *fingers crossed and touching all the wood I can find* in many ways a reliable goalscorer which we have genuinely never had since Dwight Yorke.

Look at the list of strikers we've had since Yorke:

Angel
Vassell
Crouch
Moore
Phillips
Allback
Agbonlahor
Carew
Heskey
Baros

None of those scream "reliable 20 goal a season man". If we play 4-5-1 which I hope we do, then Bent might hopefully be worth it. I dunno. It's a lot of money but we definitely needed a striker. Carew looks like he is playing with a broken back, Gabby can't seem to shake off his injury and Fonz isn't ready for a full-time starting place.

Bent is a very good striker, but from Sunderland's perspective this has to be seen as a good deal. They've moved on from where they were a couple of years ago and now have other players in the squad who can offer them goals. As Mik said yesterday, Bent has barely scored this season. This money could really move them forward.

Obviously from Villa's perspective it's a good deal, if they have the money.

Simon
January 18th, 2011, 10:53 AM
The pure goalscorer has died in recent years with the advent of "between the lines" players like Messi, Ronaldo, Kaka and monsters like Drogba who do the job of two strikers. You don't get many Inzaghis or Fowlers any more, but Bent falls into that category. He either scores or has a crap game, he rarely does anything else but that is seen as one-dimensional and low-brow nowadays. If he scores goals at the rate he has consistently done (16 a season on average over the last 5 years) then even £24m is decent value.

Simon
January 18th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Bent is a very good striker, but from Sunderland's perspective this has to be seen as a good deal. They've moved on from where they were a couple of years ago and now have other players in the squad who can offer them goals. As Mik said yesterday, Bent has barely scored this season. This money could really move them forward.

Bent was injured for a fair while wasn't he? Which brings up another of his pluses - that was one of the rare occasions when he was injured. He hardly ever misses games.

Cue training ground collision with Heskey and/or Carew and 10 months out.

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 10:54 AM

Bent is their top scorer this season Beefy. He's got 11 goals even with this "lack of form".

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 10:57 AM
But yes if it gets to £24million then that is a great price for someone, in many ways it is like the Milner deal where we just couldn't say no for that amount. Theoretically that was a good deal for Villa, however it has taken out the heart of our side and look what's happened as a result.

Then again, if it gets to £24 million then that would mean Bent has fulfilled all expectations and would be worth that amount anyway.

Beefy
January 18th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Bent was injured for a fair while wasn't he? Which brings up another of his pluses - that was one of the rare occasions when he was injured. He hardly ever misses games.

Cue training ground collision with Heskey and/or Carew and 10 months out.

Yeah, which goes to show that they can play without him. Gyan and Wellbeck both look capable of scoring goals.

Beefy
January 18th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Bent is their top scorer this season Beefy. He's got 11 goals even with this "lack of form".

I'm going to ignore that point on the basis that it does not suit my argument.

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 11:07 AM
:lol:

I don't think I have won an argument faster on here.

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 11:09 AM
In fact by this point last season he had only scored a goal more according to Soccerbase. He went on a run of five games recently without scoring I know that much. But how long have we had his ear?

Beefy
January 18th, 2011, 11:14 AM

I don't think I have won an argument faster on here.

I wouldn't say that you've really won the argument. If anything, the fact that he's scored so many goals so quietly just supports my view that there's a lot more to Sunderland nowadays than Darren Bent.

But well done, anyway.

Andy
January 18th, 2011, 11:14 AM
To end speculation I am going to Spurs. I've had brilliant years at Everton and it will always be a special place in my heart.

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Ooohh, another midfielder. That's what you need.

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 11:17 AM
SURELY Spurs just want to go balls deep on a fucking incredible striker. Come on just get your balls soggy. Oooh let's go for Pienaar and piss it around the midfield all day muURRRRGGGHHHHHH.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 18th, 2011, 11:20 AM

If Bent has put in a transfer request as well it would make no sense. No point having an unhappy Darren Bent who is literally worth about £3 - 5 million at most if he isn't scoring goals, based on how little else he brings to a side.

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 11:24 AM
What do you think about the signing ECG? I mean I am interested but then I wil always bring you round like I did with the Garmin.

Oh that looks shit Rosk I always think people who wear them are twats oh wait are you getting one oh ok i'll buy one RIGHT NOW GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE

Beefy
January 18th, 2011, 11:26 AM
If Bent has put in a transfer request as well it would make no sense. No point having an unhappy Darren Bent who is literally worth about £3 - 5 million at most if he isn't scoring goals, based on how little else he brings to a side.

The fact that Bent has had to put in a transfer request suggests that Sunderland have tried to keep him. As you say, there's no point in them keeping an unhappy player when they've got alternatives.

I think Gyan is at least as good, to be honest.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 18th, 2011, 11:31 AM
What do you think about the signing ECG? I mean I am interested but then I wil always bring you round like I did with the Garmin.

Oh that looks shit Rosk I always think people who wear them are twats oh wait are you getting one oh ok i'll buy one RIGHT NOW GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE

If he scores the goals that get Villa up the table, it's a good signing. I made my feelings known when Spurs signed him about what a fundamentally limited player I think he is, so it's a lot of money to be spending on him, but as we see, there are not many strikers going around who score regularly in the Premier League.

I agree with Beefy that I think Gyan is as good, if not better. Gyan can offer more as a target man, as well as playing on the shoulder of the defenders. When Bent is playing there is only one way to go really, and that's to feed him. He's not going to be getting involved in the play or opening any doors. That said, the sort of chances that Agbonlahor sticks straight at the keeper or into the crowd, Bent will put most of them away.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 18th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Also I am going to get abuse for it but I don't care: Kevin Doyle could play for a bigger team that Wolves and score goals. The hassle he causes for defenders with his strength, running and brilliance in the air is already enough. I'm surprised no teams have been sniffing around him.

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 11:35 AM
When Gabby absolutely did the right back after 30 seconds against Brum and then paced it inside the defender to open up the goal, I literally KNEW there was no chance he would calmly finish.

Gyan is a good player but let's wait before he can be relied on to score as regularly as Bent. I think Bent would really suit our style a lot more as we have always been a chances team rather than one desiring a hold up man. If we have Downing, Albrighton, Young and Bannan playing at once with Makoun being bloody hard this should mean Bent will score 600 goals a season.

I presume you are also quite shocked at the signing of Makoun?

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Also I am going to get abuse for it but I don't care: Kevin Doyle could play for a bigger team that Wolves and score goals. The hassle he causes for defenders with his strength, running and brilliance in the air is already enough. I'm surprised no teams have been sniffing around him.

I completely agree, I really rate Doyle.

Simon
January 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah Doyle is very good. Works his balls off, quick and strong and is a good finisher. If he was playing for a half-decent side he'd score loads more goals.

Alf
January 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM
We seriously need to sign a top draw striker.

I'm not fussed about Pienaar. I suppose he'd give serious competition to Lennon. And seeing as we've shipped out Bentley, Gio is shits, and Kranky always drifts in, we do need cover/a strong player for the wide areas.

Central midfield though. Can he provide cover/competition for Modric/VDV. We'll need to rotate more as the season kicks on so it could be a clever signing. I don't bloody know.

Striker please.

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Amidst all this Bent shock, I am genuinely more shocked that Makoun has agreed to come to us. I don't think we have bought pure proven quality in like that in recent years.

RFF Champ
January 18th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Sunderland have been linked with Doyle now.

The thing he has going against him is that he hasn't scored much in the last two years when he probably should have scored more.

His all round play is superb though. He was very good against City at the weekend at helping Wolves keep the ball and create opportunities and as a result they bossed the game for most of the first half.

Alf
January 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Amidst all this Bent shock, I am genuinely more shocked that Makoun has agreed to come to us. I don't think we have bought pure proven quality in like that in recent years.

Have you seen him play yet? The prem is a different kettle of fish. Can you give him time to settle?

For every Essien there is a Didier Zokora.

Simon
January 18th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Don't you ever criticise Zokora again.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 18th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I presume you are also quite shocked at the signing of Makoun?

Not shocked. He hasn't been getting on for Lyon apparently and they're not the side they once were. I only saw him play a few times for Lille and he didn't look anything massively special, plus the other players who were highly rated for them like Bodmer and Odemwingie haven't been yanking up any trees either.

I don't really know enough about him. Does seem a bit off that Lyon are selling him for half of what they signed him for after a couple of years.

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 12:10 PM
That's interesting when only two weeks ago you said "Makoun signed for Lyon so he stopped being linked with English sides for a while. He's still a very good player, I can't see how Villa are going to get him."

Make up your mind mate.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 18th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I'm explaining to you why I am not shocked. Shocked is a strong word mate. I also didn't think Villa had any money to spend (they have mustered some up from down the back of the sofa obviously) but it makes more sense if Lyon are taking such a hit on him.

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 12:15 PM
If you can't see a hurricane happening and then one happens all of a sudden in Dublin and your house and girlfriend and Smell It? gets whisked away to Deadsville will you be stubborn then and say "that didn't shock me"?

Star fruit surf rider
January 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM
No wonder MON quit when Villa have all this cash burning a hole in their pockets and he was told to cut costs.

The Rosk
January 18th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I think it was because Lerner knew MON would have spent £24 million on David Wheater and Marlon King instead of Makoun and Bent to be honest.

Star fruit surf rider
January 18th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Fair point.

I think you will get Top 17 now with these new recruits.

Simon
January 18th, 2011, 12:49 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/9362164.stm

YIDDO!

Bad Collin
January 18th, 2011, 1:23 PM
Babel looks on his way out: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/9365776.stm

El Capitano Gatisto
January 18th, 2011, 1:47 PM
If you can't see a hurricane happening and then one happens all of a sudden in Dublin and your house and girlfriend and Smell It? gets whisked away to Deadsville will you be stubborn then and say "that didn't shock me"?

It's a really good signing but it's not shocking, like if Villa signed Neymar or something. That would be shocking. Like when Spurs flopped out £17 million all over Luka Modric a few months before everyone expected a bidding war over him from the top clubs in Europe.

JIJ
January 18th, 2011, 2:19 PM
That Bent signing has to be about money. Madness.

McBain
January 18th, 2011, 2:32 PM
The money demonstrating the club to be more likely to achieve his ambitions, yeah.

RFF Champ
January 18th, 2011, 2:36 PM
Routledge looks like he's on the way out. Possibly QPR, you heard anything JIJ?

Spurs have said that O'Hara can leave on loan. Yes please.

1_Pablo_Angel
January 18th, 2011, 2:36 PM
By all accounts it seems he just didn't like living up in Sunderland much. He's only an hour and a half from London, the place he's been most of his life, here.

I shouldn't think we're paying him a great deal more than Sunderland were.

1_Pablo_Angel
January 18th, 2011, 2:44 PM
The 30-year-old was a transfer target for the Blues who had a £6million offer accepted by Tottenham.

However, Birmingham released a statement on Monday which indicated the player's excessive wage demands had scuppered any hopes of a deal.

But a bemused Keane said: "The Birmingham stuff was never on anyway, so it was very strange to see that stuff on Sky yesterday in the first place.

"It was never going to happen."

West Ham have also been linked with the Republic of Ireland international but he maintains he is unaware of their interest.

"I haven't heard anything at the moment but we will just see what happens," he added.

"But like I said, that Birmingham stuff yesterday was a bit bizarre with a statement coming out from them which I found very strange.

"A deal was never really on the table, so I just think that Birmingham was looking for a bit of publicity really."

Class :D

McBain
January 18th, 2011, 2:51 PM

JIJ
January 18th, 2011, 3:25 PM
Routledge looks like he's on the way out. Possibly QPR, you heard anything JIJ?

Spurs have said that O'Hara can leave on loan. Yes please.

To be honest I've been working for the last 2 weeks so I've lost touch a bit with whats going on.

Andy
January 18th, 2011, 3:25 PM
Any idea how much Babel is going for?

JIJ
January 18th, 2011, 3:27 PM
The money demonstrating the club to be more likely to achieve his ambitions, yeah.

Unless his ambition is to play in the Championship he wouldn't be going Villa.

BBF
January 18th, 2011, 3:29 PM
Any idea how much Babel is going for?

€7m I heard.

McBain
January 18th, 2011, 3:29 PM
Unless his ambition is to play in the Championship he wouldn't be going Villa.
Wheeeeeeeey.

JIJ
January 18th, 2011, 3:32 PM
On a serious note, he'll be a flop at Villa. His strike rate is awful, the only reason he bangs so many in up north is Sunderland create so many chances. Plus they seem to get awarded a disproportionate number of pens (even then he misses a load).

Villa struggle to create chances so he's fucked.

Bennedy
January 18th, 2011, 3:34 PM
I feel a rather heated debate coming.

BBF
January 18th, 2011, 3:37 PM
128 in 308 appearances isn't that bad of a strike rate surely? Scores 41% of the time, Shearer scored 50% as a contrast.

Not TOO bad, really.

McBain
January 18th, 2011, 3:38 PM
Nah. Not worth my time.

All I will say is that no there is no guarantee he'll score goals, but he has done wherever he's gone so we have a right to feel fairly confident.

Mik
January 18th, 2011, 3:53 PM
Few rumours going round that Steve Bruce is going to walk because of the Bent deal.

Ahaha. Rumours on the Newcastle rags no doubt. Quinn wouldnt make Bruce sell, but as proven with Cana at the start of the season, if the player wants to go, you've got to let him. I'd imagine for Bent it was probably be less the lure of potential success at Villa because in absolute honesty they dont look any closer to REAL success than we are at the moment. I'd not be surprised at all if Villa were offering him SIGNIFICANTLY more than he was on at Sunderland and I'd not be hugely surprised if he didnt settle in the north east, although that seems to contradict the fact that he was looking to buy a house in Durham last week and frequently spoke about how he'd like to help develop Sunderland into being the force they could be and also mentioning a few times how he'd like to finish his career here. I'd honestly imagine that it was almost completely a case of wanting to earn more money (which I cant blame him for) and wanting to be at a club that can be built around him. Unfortunately, despite being our leading goalscorer (not that many of them in the league this season though), his injury did demonstrate that the best combination of front-men we have is Gyan and Wellbeck, Bent never really combined all that well with any of them, nor with Jones. He was a bit of a lone-gunman at Charlton, struggled to play with others at Tottenham and perhaps thats what Villa will offer him.

I wish him the best. He was excellent for us and although I'm confused and disappointed about his leaving, I think that he'll do well for Villa. He owes us as much thanks as we owe him, because his career was going NOWHERE at Spurs. For that amount of money I honestly think that it might stand us in good stead. Quinn has already said that pretty much all of the money will be reinvested. I'm fascinated to see who we can get. Its true that we havent relied on Bent as much this season, but we have relied on our strikers, I think that we've only scored a couple outside of them.

Contrary to what JIJ says, I always found Bent to be quite efficient. He frequently scored at his first attempt.

JIJ
January 18th, 2011, 3:55 PM
Bullplop. Bent has one of the worst strike rates in world football. He's like Michael Owen. Sure they guarantee you goals, but only if you give them 5 decent chances per match.

da_man
January 18th, 2011, 4:01 PM
He's a decent Premier League striker. £18m is ridiculous. Niall Quinn probably struggled to keep a straight face during the negotiations.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 18th, 2011, 4:11 PM
Rising to £24 million too. That's a mad price. I'd be surprised if they couldn't find a striker in world football who represents better value, but if he scores Premier League goals and gets them up the table then maybe it will be have been worth it.

Sunderland should be delighted. If they can get another decent striker in, then maybe get Henderson on a bigger contract, then it's a great deal.

Mik
January 18th, 2011, 4:14 PM
I'd love for us to pump £10m of it into trying to get Wellbeck. Particularly if Campbell keeps coming through the way it seemed he was.

JIJ
January 18th, 2011, 4:15 PM
From what my secret sources are telling me... Ashley Young to Liverpool, pays for Bent to Villa, also frees up cash for Sunderland to take Owen from Man Utd and N'Zogbia from Wigan...

That was a mate of mine's Facebook status yesterday. He works at Nuts and has done a bit at Sky Sports. Right so far.

Mik
January 18th, 2011, 4:17 PM
I'd imagine that N'Zogbia bit being true. Would be surprised about Owen if that came off.

JIJ
January 18th, 2011, 4:17 PM
Would make sense. One useless finisher replacing another.

McBain
January 18th, 2011, 4:18 PM
Bent's deal doesn't need "paying for", wish the London media would stop giving credence to that idea.

For a start we had a load of cash from Milner in the summer that hadn't been spent, and Lerner has ever been "proven" to be skint.

JIJ
January 18th, 2011, 4:18 PM
Actually it wasn't his status, he posted it on his brothers wall.

I gotta stop stalking.

JIJ
January 18th, 2011, 4:19 PM
Bent's deal doesn't need "paying for", wish the London media would stop giving credence to that idea.

For a start we had a load of cash from Milner in the summer that hadn't been spent, and Lerner has ever been "proven" to be skint.

Didn't O'Neill leave due to a lack of funds being released?

I was under the impression Lerner was tightening the old back pocket.

McBain
January 18th, 2011, 4:21 PM
We've never had a cast iron confirmation about that. I think it came more down to Lerner not wanting to back MON as he'd shown himself to be wasteful. The wage bill had ballooned but the squad hadn't noticeably improved.

Who knows, but all the noises from Lerner and Ged lately seem to be that money isn't a problem.

Bad Collin
January 18th, 2011, 4:23 PM
I'd love Ashley Young at Liverpool. If we could him and a midfielder who can tackle we might even get back in the top half.

da_man
January 18th, 2011, 7:19 PM
We're supposed to be after an Argentine lad called Mauro Formica from (Mike) Newell's Old Boys.

:dunno:

An attacking midfielder in addition to the two lads from Barca B we're after, Steve Kean is clearly taking the Champo approach to management. Hoover up loads of unknown foreign youngsters and you're bound to hit gold with one.

da_man
January 18th, 2011, 7:35 PM

Steve Bruce to walk away from a club?

Surely not...

Alf
January 18th, 2011, 8:07 PM
18m for Bent? Ahahahahahaaaaaroskyoucunt.

Chris Scott
January 18th, 2011, 8:15 PM
I'd love Ashley Young at Liverpool. If we could him and a midfielder who can tackle we might even get back in the top half.

Doubt it will happen, infact doubt we will sign anyone. Shame about Babel, Rafa ruined him.

Bad Collin
January 18th, 2011, 8:31 PM
No, his laziness ruined him.

Chris Scott
January 19th, 2011, 5:02 AM
Yeah he is one lazy twit, bit of both then.

Chris Scott
January 19th, 2011, 5:08 AM
Hopefully we shift more players along.

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 5:13 AM
On a serious note, he'll be a flop at Villa. His strike rate is awful, the only reason he bangs so many in up north is Sunderland create so many chances. Plus they seem to get awarded a disproportionate number of pens (even then he misses a load).

Villa struggle to create chances so he's fucked.

Are you joking? Gabby, Heskey and even the Fonz have consistently missed great chances for us this season. We can't finish anything.

It's possibly the first season in a while where we should legitimately have had a lot more points than we have actually totted up thus far, if we go on chances in games. A few insipid performances recently have put a big emphasis on the whole "results" side of things when for half the season we've actually played some nice football at times.

I just look to games literally off the top of my head like:

Fulham (a) - Fonzie missed a hat-trick of chances, two one-on-ones, and they equalised in the last minute.
Man U (h) - already been covered previously on here but a ridiculous amount of chances that we couldn't put away, and they got the equaliser in the last ten minutes
Sunderland (a) and (h) - numerous chances away leading to Mik texting me saying "I don't know how you didn't score" and we score for them in a 1-0 defeat
Birmingham (a) - Gabby misses a one-on-one, we hit the bar four times, draw
Blackburn (a) - lose 2-0 to death football but we have literally zero upfront and all the play going forward, just nothing in the box ever, ever, ever.
Chelsea (h) - miss two one-on-ones including one in the last minute, hit the bar
Stoke (a) - Young hits the bar with a header from about two yards out as he is forced to play upfront, last minute winner, RUE RUE RUE

This is just me thinking out loud of games where I would have killed for a striker with more than 6/10 for finishing. Ask any Villa fan what we've needed most over the last 15 yearsr and I guarantee they will say " a striker worth his salt".

And to be honest Jamie (and I hope you;re not just pointlessly needling here) but we have been crying out for a striker who can finish for fucking yonks. This is why I always seem to whinge from time to time about what happened to Nilis and Collymore - it's because I thought they wold be the finished article we needed upfront, but then injury and mentalness fucked them.

I am not saying Bent is a world-beater but he is proven at scoring in the Premiership. We need that.

18m for Bent? Ahahahahahaaaaaroskyoucunt.

David Bentley.

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 5:17 AM

Houllier said he isn't for sale in the Bent press conference.

connorboy
January 19th, 2011, 5:18 AM
I'm sorry but Darren Bent is quality. 18 goals for a relegated Premier League club when your creativity comes from Jimmy Fat Piggybank, Darren Ambrose and Dennis bloody Rommedahl says it all really

Bad Collin
January 19th, 2011, 5:19 AM
True Rosko, it wouldn't make any sense for you to buy Bent and sell Young. Exciting times around the corner for the Villa.

Ryan McCarthy
January 19th, 2011, 5:19 AM
WHAT? Spurs paid 18m for David Bentley.

Alf
January 19th, 2011, 5:22 AM
APPAZ the Bent deal has paid for Pienaar.

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 5:28 AM
True Rosko, it wouldn't make any sense for you to buy Bent and sell Young. Exciting times around the corner for the Villa.

Well I hope so. MON genuinely would have wasted this money so it's good to see that at least we're spending big on relatively proven players rather than just-above-average English players.

This is a transitional year; it was always going to be so. If we can push away from the relegation zone then the next few years with our youth and these/a couple more signings will hopefully see some good things happen. We need Ashley Young to stay. He hasn't been anywhere near his ebst for ages but he is still our most talented player.

Simon
January 19th, 2011, 5:48 AM
APPAZ the Bent deal has paid for Pienaar.

http://i.thisislondon.co.uk/i/pix/2009/03/daniel-levy-415x275.jpg
No Mr. Bent...I expect you to score.

Alf
January 19th, 2011, 6:09 AM
You have to love the 5000 year old shapeshifting jew.

Bennedy
January 19th, 2011, 6:15 AM
WHAT? Spurs paid 18m for David Bentley.

I think it was reported to be about 17m but yep, big bucks for a big flop.

Simon
January 19th, 2011, 6:16 AM
I heard from an ITK that he can breathe underwater because he has gills.

JIJ
January 19th, 2011, 6:19 AM
Premier League clubs are mugs.

£3.5m for Alejandro Fuarlin and he's the second best playmaker in England at the moment. Third in Europe behind Pirlo.

Simon
January 19th, 2011, 7:03 AM
Pav to Sunderland for £11m rising to £13m apparently. With Keane and Kranjcar likely out as well, we better have a proper quality striker coming in.

Simon
January 19th, 2011, 7:05 AM
...which reminds me, this was taken at Keane's leaving do last night:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/full/227417989.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1295436027&Signature=uGfZnccWIABVI315wd7EkdfKfEA%3D

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 7:07 AM
oh woooooooooooooooow!! Someone had a beer!?!?!?

turdpower
January 19th, 2011, 7:22 AM
STELLA VAN DER VARTOIS.

Ryan McCarthy
January 19th, 2011, 7:22 AM
I think it was reported to be about 17m but yep, big bucks for a big flop.

I only ever remember him having one good season were he scored some long shots but that's about it.

Andy
January 19th, 2011, 7:25 AM
Why would anyone pay that much for Pavlyuchenko. Would be so strange to get that amount for Bent then spunk most of it on Pav. They'd be better off going for Keane for a few mil, getting N'Zogbia and then going for another good striker in the summer if they can't get Welbeck permanently.

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 7:28 AM
That's what I was thinking. Pav is decent but I wouldn't be too happy with only getting £6/7 million to play with after replacing Bent with Pav. Especially when they have spent around that much on players like Cana in recent times.

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 7:42 AM
I am a bit confused by all this MASSIVE SHOCK and bollocks going round about the size of the fee for Bent. When only recently Chelsea threw the same amount on Ramires. It's weird that the English transfer fees are so heavily inflated according to pretty much everyone but then when one of the most proven track records get signed for a big fee there is laughter from all angles.

Heard the next two we are looking at are Sebastian Larsson and Chris Samba. Pretty random to go for Larsson but Samba would be a pretty random addition. French connection.

Simon
January 19th, 2011, 7:48 AM
Villa aren't notoriously big spenders, that's why it is odd that you have spent so much. Even assuming it doesn't reach the £24m potential total cost, it's still a higher price than Arsenal and Spurs have ever paid for a player and is only slightly less than Liverpool paid to break their record for Torres. I don't think people are going to be hugely critical of the fee because Bent is a proven goalscorer and, let's face it, Villa are a little desperate at the moment. But it's still something of a shock because you rarely see sides spend that sort of money, much less a side like Villa, and much less still a side that are currently fighting for survival.

Beefy
January 19th, 2011, 7:49 AM
Plus I don't think Chelsea actually spent anything close to that on Ramires.

Simon
January 19th, 2011, 7:51 AM
If you take out the signings made by City and Chelsea (i.e. teams for whom money has not been relevant) it's the sixth highest Premier league fee of all time and, of the other five, four were by United and the other was Torres when Liverpool were perennial Champions League qualifiers. Look at it in those terms and it's certainly an odd signing.

Bennedy
January 19th, 2011, 7:54 AM
Plus I don't think Chelsea actually spent anything close to that on Ramires.

I heard it was 18m but I'm not sure. He is looking like he might have some potential. He is still weaker than a 2 year old though.

Beefy
January 19th, 2011, 7:56 AM
I heard it was 18m but I'm not sure. He is looking like he might have some potential. He is still weaker than a 2 year old though.

£18m seems a good fee to publicise but in reality I'd be surprised if Chelsea will ever pay more than half of that. It seems completely at odds with the cost-cutting that's clearly been going on at Stamford Bridge over the past year.

Bennedy
January 19th, 2011, 8:11 AM
£18m seems a good fee to publicise but in reality I'd be surprised if Chelsea will ever pay more than half of that. It seems completely at odds with the cost-cutting that's clearly been going on at Stamford Bridge over the past year.

Yeah you're right. We also were reported to spend 18m on Zhirkov but who knows if that was true.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 19th, 2011, 8:34 AM
Well I hope so. MON genuinely would have wasted this money so it's good to see that at least we're spending big on relatively proven players rather than just-above-average English players.

I really am not trying to wind you up here The Rosk, but that's exactly what has happened. Darren Bent is exactly the sort of signing MON could have made.

I understand you trying to see the best side of this, but, whatever about Bent's scoring record (and it's not exceptional), that is a lot of money for a side like Villa to spend on one player. Darren Bent is not a £24 million player by any stretch of the imagination. He has no track record at international or European level. They are buying him on Premier League performances alone, ones which show him to be a useful, but very limited, player.

Alf
January 19th, 2011, 8:47 AM
And I really hate watching him lollup around. So I give you 3 months before you want to kill him...

Papers are linking Sunderland with any of Keane, Crouch, and Pav.

Levy... remember, buy a striker first and then sell, don't be a dick.

Star fruit surf rider
January 19th, 2011, 9:12 AM
I am a bit confused by all this MASSIVE SHOCK and bollocks going round about the size of the fee for Bent. When only recently Chelsea threw the same amount on Ramires. It's weird that the English transfer fees are so heavily inflated according to pretty much everyone but then when one of the most proven track records get signed for a big fee there is laughter from all angles.

Heard the next two we are looking at are Sebastian Larsson and Chris Samba. Pretty random to go for Larsson but Samba would be a pretty random addition. French connection.
I think foreigners get a bit more benefit of the doubt because a lot of the time you dont know how they will adapt and the suprise factor often can help them.

All PL defenders know Bent so he doesnt have that and you know what you will get with him - a very good but not quite England class striker. If I was a Villa fan I wouldnt give a shit about the fee, it isnt your money after all. But to an outsider I can see why it seems inflated.

Andy
January 19th, 2011, 9:17 AM
£50m for Darren Bent across three transfers in three years. Who'd have thunk it.

Andy
January 19th, 2011, 9:19 AM
And yeah it's exactly the sort of transfer you could see MON making. Milner for £12m, Young for £10m, Sidwell for £14m, Collins for £10m, Luke Young for £21m. Money well spent.

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 9:21 AM
I really am not trying to wind you up here The Rosk, but that's exactly what has happened. Darren Bent is exactly the sort of signing MON could have made.

I understand you trying to see the best side of this, but, whatever about Bent's scoring record (and it's not exceptional), that is a lot of money for a side like Villa to spend on one player. Darren Bent is not a £24 million player by any stretch of the imagination. He has no track record at international or European level. They are buying him on Premier League performances alone, ones which show him to be a useful, but very limited, player.

MON would never have signed Bent in a million years. He isn't shit enough and has a decent reputation.

£24 million IF he scores a load for the next four/five years. It's £18 million upfront. If the extras happen I couldn't give a shit how much he cost. We got paid over the odds for Milner and are using it now.

I laughed when I first saw it, but realistically, who else could we get in that would do as good a job for us in this situation we are in that would want to come?

son_of_foley
January 19th, 2011, 9:22 AM
Kyle Lafferty

Keano's Magic Hat
January 19th, 2011, 9:26 AM
Bent will do well at Villa.

JIJ, it's all well and good saying he misses a lot of chances, but it's only because his movement off the ball is so good that he's in a position to miss them in the first place. Watching a poacher make a perfectly timed run across his centre half to meet a cross and send the ball into the back of the net is a joy. With the quality Villa have on the wings, Rosk will be wanking himself to Match Of The Day on a regular basis.

He isn't a good player, but he's a terrific goalscorer. Like City's Tevez, Ruud Van Nistelrooy and a young Michael Owen.

Mik, there is no way United would let Welbeck go for as little as £10m. No chance.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 19th, 2011, 9:27 AM
Remind me which of your managers signed Milner, Delph and Young, The Rosk? I criticise MON's signings as much as the next man, but that's only because his scope was limited to the British Isles, not because he didn't sign good players when they were there. It was the lack of imagination to take a punt on the likes of Luka Modric or Mikael Arteta, or players of that ilk that I think MON was incapable of. Darren Bent is EXACTLY the sort of signing he would have made.

The Villa squad that finished 6th last season is virtually the same one struggling now, minus James Milner. Something else is going on there and I'm not sure Darren Bent is the answer. He might get Villa out of a hole now, but fuck's sake, a £24 million commitment is astonishing. He is worth HALF that as a player, never mind what wages he is on.

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 9:29 AM
And yeah it's exactly the sort of transfer you could see MON making. Milner for £12m, Young for £10m, Sidwell for £14m, Collins for £10m, Luke Young for £21m. Money well spent.

Look at the players you have written out there.

Milner - Newcastle didn't want him.
A Young - up and coming
Sidwell - Chelsea didn't want him
Davies - up and coming
Collins - West Ham's second best defender
L Young - Boro happy to sell him
Reo-Coker - out of favour at West Ham
Harewood - noone else bloody wanted him, a joke player
Heskey - noone else wanted him while at Wigan, somewhat of a joke player
Routledge - joke player at the time
Shorey - paid over the odds for a Championship player
Downing - paid over the odds for a Championship player

None of those equate to the level that Bent is. None of these were proven in an area we desperately need sorting before we end up relegated.

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 9:32 AM
Remind me which of your managers signed Milner, Delph and Young, The Rosk? I criticise MON's signings as much as the next man, but that's only because his scope was limited to the British Isles, not because he didn't sign good players when they were there. It was the lack of imagination to take a punt on the likes of Luka Modric or Mikael Arteta, or players of that ilk that I think MON was incapable of. Darren Bent is EXACTLY the sort of signing he would have made.

The Villa squad that finished 6th last season is virtually the same one struggling now, minus James Milner. Something else is going on there and I'm not sure Darren Bent is the answer. He might get Villa out of a hole now, but fuck's sake, a £24 million commitment is astonishing. He is worth HALF that as a player, never mind what wages he is on.

They were good signings in a sea of mediocrity. And this only illustrates my point further that these were probably his best signings because they PROCEEDED to become good for us (Delph almost certainly will). The stab-in-the-dark efforts as supposed to the relatively risk-free efforts.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 19th, 2011, 9:34 AM
You are being revisionist now to suit your own needs.

What's more, Darren Bent won't score for Villa if he doesn't suit the system, so Villa's system will have to be adapted to suit him.

Darren Bent going for £24 million here is probably going to be one of the biggest transfers this season. Real Madrid are looking for a striker right now and there's no way they'll be paying that for whoever they get. Man City just paid £27 million for Edin Dzeko, seen as one of the most promising young strikers in Europe. I am stunned that Villa could not find better value for money. Smacks of desperation and a lack of imagination. The only upside to this transfer is if Bent scores the goals that take Villa comfortably clear of relegation, but what about next season?

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 9:36 AM
No I am not being revisionist at all. I said "MON would never have signed Bent in a million years. He isn't shit enough and has a decent reputation."

That goes along with everything I have just said.

I have a feeling this will mean we will really go for 4-5-1. This will hopefully mean a big push for players like Bannan to come into the middle a bit more, and with Albrighton, Downing and Young on the wings I am hopefully going to see a few more goals other than the ones that bounce in off Heskey's face.

Star fruit surf rider
January 19th, 2011, 9:41 AM
Rosk.

Before MON you finished 11th, 16th and 10th.

With him you finished 6th, 6th and 6th.

You are currently 17th.

I believe this to be correct but please correct me if I am wrong.

ps Marlon Harewood is not a joke footballer, thank you.

Andy
January 19th, 2011, 9:49 AM
Rosk a lot of the players you mentioned were established PL players. I think Bent is a good signing if you don't take the transfer fee into account, just as MON made decent signings from around England for an inflated price.

I don't think the signing lacks imagination, it's just an awful lot of money. If Villa build their attack around Bent now, he will score goals. Villa have exciting wingers who should deliver for him. If they can now get a creative force to go in midfield beside Makoun and Petrov/RC/Delph and sort out a left back they'll be looking a very good side.

Alf
January 19th, 2011, 10:12 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1348568/Tottenham-target-Porto-star-Hulk-beef-strike-force-White-Hart-Lane.html

I'd love us to sign Hulk. Best name in football since A.PAZ

Keano's Magic Hat
January 19th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Hulk is a bloody good player.

turdpower
January 19th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Aye, he's incredible.

Andy
January 19th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Complete nutcase though.

Alf
January 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Of course he is. He's the bloody Hulk.

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Rosk.

Before MON you finished 11th, 16th and 10th.

With him you finished 6th, 6th and 6th.

You are currently 17th.

I believe this to be correct but please correct me if I am wrong.

ps Marlon Harewood is not a joke footballer, thank you.

MON got us 11th in the first season.

And you seem to forget the pretty major part of the turnaround in our club that was the arrival of Randy Lerner as chairman who came in at almost exactly the same stage too, and loosened the purse strings that Deadly Doug previously held tighter than a duck's arse.

MON had, by a country mile, more money to spend than anyone else in the history of our club. And we were one of the biggest spenders in the Premiership.

Rosk a lot of the players you mentioned were established PL players. I think Bent is a good signing if you don't take the transfer fee into account, just as MON made decent signings from around England for an inflated price.

I don't think the signing lacks imagination, it's just an awful lot of money. If Villa build their attack around Bent now, he will score goals. Villa have exciting wingers who should deliver for him. If they can now get a creative force to go in midfield beside Makoun and Petrov/RC/Delph and sort out a left back they'll be looking a very good side.

Established in the sense that they had played 10-50 odd games, yes. Nowhere near on the level that Bent has been in the past few years where he's been one of the top scorers in the Prem.

MMH
January 19th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Allegedly we have signed Eric Dier from Sporting Lisbon.

This bloke....

http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/multimedia/oratvi/multimedia/imagem/id/13328098/485x400

Hes a 17 year old centre back.

Simon
January 19th, 2011, 11:34 AM
An Englishman playing abroad? :eek:

MMH
January 19th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Yup. We should make a move for Lewis Holtby too seeing as he seemingly loves us.

RFF Champ
January 19th, 2011, 11:36 AM
The BBC did a blog on him a few months back:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9089819.stm

Massive neck.

Simon
January 19th, 2011, 12:04 PM
We have apparently bid €28m for Fabiano :eek:

Alf
January 19th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Ergh!

EDIT: Sure it wasn't Suarez?

Simon
January 19th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Definitely the player we need but that is an extraordinarily large figure for a 30 year old. Levy the Jew must be up to something.

Bad Collin
January 19th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I think we are signing the women in that picture :(

Hulk is a glorious footballer.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 19th, 2011, 12:12 PM
No I am not being revisionist at all. I said "MON would never have signed Bent in a million years. He isn't shit enough and has a decent reputation."

That goes along with everything I have just said.

I have a feeling this will mean we will really go for 4-5-1. This will hopefully mean a big push for players like Bannan to come into the middle a bit more, and with Albrighton, Downing and Young on the wings I am hopefully going to see a few more goals other than the ones that bounce in off Heskey's face.

It goes along with your own revisionist logic. Further, sea of mediocrity was an interesting term. I don't disagree MON signed a lot of mediocre players (indeed I argued as much when he was signing them), however, to suggest that Darren Bent is the shining new star heralding an era of brilliant player purchases under the auspices of the man who signed Vlad Smicer, Djimi Traore, Salif Diao, El-Hajdi Diouf, Eric Meijer, Titi Camara, Igor Biscan, Greg Vignal, Sinama Pongolle, Bruno Cheyrou, Nick Barmby, Antony Le Tallec, Abel Xavier, Bernarde Diomede, Stephane Henchoz, Chris Kirkland, Milan Baros, Alou Diarra, Rigobert Song...is being very optimistic.

Simon
January 19th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Don't you ever cunt off Nicky Barmby again. He was my hero growing up, ahead of Klinsmann, Sheringham, Anderton etc.

Bad Collin
January 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Henchoz was amazing for us.

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 12:18 PM
It goes along with your own revisionist logic. Further, sea of mediocrity was an interesting term. I don't disagree MON signed a lot of mediocre players (indeed I argued as much when he was signing them), however, to suggest that Darren Bent is the shining new star heralding an era of brilliant player purchases under the auspices of the man who signed Vlad Smicer, Djimi Traore, Salif Diao, El-Hajdi Diouf, Eric Meijer, Titi Camara, Igor Biscan, Greg Vignal, Sinama Pongolle, Bruno Cheyrou, Nick Barmby, Antony Le Tallec, Abel Xavier, Bernarde Diomede, Stephane Henchoz, Chris Kirkland, Milan Baros, Alou Diarra, Rigobert Song...is being very optimistic.

Since when have I mentioned Houllier's work years ago?

All I can rate is what Houllier has brought in thus far in his role at Villa. He has signed Makoun and Bent and is looking to get some of the dross off the wage bill. I can't complain with his effort thus far.

Since when was this a debate about Houllier anyway? It suddenly turned into a "if MON had the money what would have happened" debate, and I simply pointed out that MON did have the money, he just never spent it like this. Makoun is foreign and Bent is definitely proven in the Prem.

Simon
January 19th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Henchoz was amazing for us.

Only cos he got away with a handball on the line in literally every game he played for you :D

Keano's Magic Hat
January 19th, 2011, 12:23 PM
The only team in Premier League history to start a game with two goalkeepers.

Simon
January 19th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Na Chelsea have Terry.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 19th, 2011, 12:25 PM
You brought up what MON would have/would not have done.

Houllier has a patchy record on transfers and that is being extremely generous. He has always signed players from France and the vast majority have turned out to be complete shit. I think Makoun looks a good player, looked alright last year in an extremely poor Cameroon team, but he wasn't getting on for Lyon and they were happy to let him go for fully half what they signed him for. I wouldn't shit your britches over him just yet. I even left off Emile Heskey from that list, given that he was actually quite good for Liverpool for a season or two before they fucked him off for being useless.

Makoun is good value and should only improve the side. Bent, I just don't see where that signing is going after this season. There's an interesting article by Jonathon Wilson about him today in The Guardian:

The Question: Will Sunderland be better off without Darren Bent?

Darren Bent was a reliable scorer for Sunderland but his departure may not necessarily weaken his former team

Share56 (http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guardian.co.uk%2Fspo rt%2Fblog%2F2011%2Fjan%2F19%2Fthe-question-darren-bent&t=The%20Question%3A%20Will%20Sunderland%20be%20bet ter%20off%20without%20Darren%20Bent%3F%20%7C%20Jon athan%20Wilson%20%7C%20Sport%20%7C%20guardian.co.u k&src=sp)
http://static.guim.co.uk/static/98322/common/styles/images/icon_reddit.gif (http://reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.guardian.co.uk%2Fsport %2Fblog%2F2011%2Fjan%2F19%2Fthe-question-darren-bent)
http://static.guim.co.uk/static/98322/common/styles/images/icon_buzz.gif (http://uk.buzz.yahoo.com/buzz?publisherurn=the_guardian665&targetUrl=http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/jan/19/the-question-darren-bent&summary=%3Cstrong%3EJonathan+Wilson%3A%3C%2Fstrong %3E+Darren+Bent+was+a+reliable+scorer+for+Sunderla nd+but+his+departure+may+not+necessarily+weaken+hi s+former+team&headline=%20The%20Question:%20Will%20Sunderland%20 be%20better%20off%20without%20Darren%20Bent?%20%7C %20Jonathan%20Wilson%20%7C%20Sport%20%7C%20guardia n.co.uk)

Comments (85) (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/jan/19/the-question-darren-bent#start-of-comments)

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2011/1/19/1295437435043/Darren-Bent-Aston-Villa-S-007.jpg
Sunderland will miss Darren Bent's goals but his move to Aston Villa may open up new ways of playing for Steve Bruce's side.
Photograph: Stephen Pond/Empics Sport

Darren Bent (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/darren-bent), as pretty much every article about him over the past couple of days has mentioned, scored 32 goals in 58 Premier League games for Sunderland (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/sunderland). That is a lot, and especially at a club without a great recent history of scoring goals in bulk. He was the first Sunderland player to score for England since Len Shackleton. Last season, it was his upsurge in form with a hat-trick against Bolton Wanderers, combined with Craig Gordon's return from a broken arm and a rare window in John Mensah's injury nightmare, that ensured Sunderland stayed up. Only the most blinkered of revisionists would suggest he was anything other than a very useful player for Sunderland.
Even this season, when his form has been less certain, he has managed eight goals in 20 league games, but what is intriguing is what has happened in the three games he has missed (his durability, incidentally, starting 58 of 61 possible league games in his time at Sunderland, is another asset). In those games, Sunderland beat Stoke City 2-0 at home in a game they controlled and would have won more comfortably but for a penalty miss from Steed Malbranque; they scrapped their way to a slightly fortunate 1-1 draw at Tottenham Hotspur; and they produced the best Sunderland performance in a decade to win 3-0 at Chelsea.
It is those latter two games that are most telling. Sunderland this season have taken 11 points from 11 away games. Last season they took 10 from 19. Repeatedly, they have found themselves overrun through the centre of midfield. It also happened this season in the home game against Everton when Sunderland got away with a 2-2 draw. It happened to an extent against Newcastle United on Sunday. Most crushingly, it happened in the away game at Newcastle that directly preceded that run of three matches Bent missed; then, Sunderland coped with Newcastle for 15 minutes or so, but when Kevin Nolan was withdrawn into a deeper position and, outnumbered, they surrendered the centre, then surrendered everything else and lost 5-1. It would be absurd to say that is Bent's fault, but his style of play has knock-on effects.
Over the past two seasons, in 61 league games, Sunderland varied from 4-4-2 on only 10 occasions. Bent is a willing runner and led the line better than many who would dismiss him as purely a finisher might expect. Away against Tottenham last season, when Sunderland were excellent in losing 2-0 and most of the attention on Bent focused on his penalty miss rather than his all-round display, he looked as though he may be developing an aptitude for the position.

It did not, though, come naturally to him, and he looked far better in partnership with either Kenywne Jones or Fraizer Campbell. He never struck up a similar understanding with Asamoah Gyan. Perhaps that was because creator-finisher or senior-junior roles were never as clearly defined, but it should be borne in mind that there were very few games when both were fully fit and able to play together.
But with a regular goalscorer (bought for £10m) and a £13m striker who had been one of the stars of the World Cup, it was very hard for Steve Bruce to leave either out, something that became very apparent after the Chelsea match. Bent returned from injury and Danny Welbeck, who had probably been Sunderland's best player at Stamford Bridge, linking centrally between Gyan and the midfield, was shoved out to the wing for the 2-2 draw with Everton. Sunderland have never regained the same fluency since.
The options now seem simpler for Bruce. He can play Gyan as a lone striker with Welbeck to one side and another wide player (Steed Malbranque? Jordan Henderson? Ahmed Elmohamady? Kieran Richardson? Campbell, as and when he returns from his knee injury? A new signing bought with some of the £24m raised for Bent?) to the other, which would allow a central midfield three and so provide greater resilience than Sunderland have often shown in those areas over the past two seasons. Or he can play 4-4-2 with Welbeck just off Gyan, as he was at Chelsea.
Given Campbell's injury, Bruce's first priority is a forward to offer cover for Gyan and Welbeck, particularly given it could be six weeks until the latter is back after exploratory surgery on a troublesome knee. Longer term, he needs either to buy or replace Welbeck when his loan spell expires at the end of the season. Attacking width, particularly on the right, is another area Sunderland are short, something Bruce has acknowledged by admitting his interest in PSG's Stéphane Sessègnon.
And if the thinking is of a move to a system with three central midfielders (although Bruce has played 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 in 85.1% of his 314 league games as a manager), another central midfielder is probably necessary to fill the role of deep-lying distributor (ideally with bite) vacated by Lorik Cana in the summer. The Paraguay international Cristian Riveros was presumably supposed to be that replacement, but he has started only four league games since his summer move from Cruz Azul. Lee Cattermole, a far better passer than he is often given credit for, fulfils the Cana role to an extent, but his regular suspensions mean there must be back-up – and a ball-winning partner at the back of the midfield might cut down on the number of lunging challenges he feels compelled to make.
Losing Bent, of course, is a wrench, and Sunderland fans who have invested emotional energy in him understandably feel aggrieved. But at least the break was swift, and if the £24m is properly invested, it can only be to the long-term benefit of the club. Some prices are simply too good to turn down, particularly if the player is disaffected, as Bent's recent form suggested he was. There are, after all, few things that smack of a small-club mentality more than desperately clinging to stars who have no desire to be there any more, as though there is no possibility any better player could be daft enough to make the same mistake as they did and sign up to replace them.
There are those who worry about how Sunderland will replace Bent's goals, but goals are a strange thing (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2009/jan/22/the-question-jonathan-wilson-goalpoachers). Towards the end of Michael Owen's time at Liverpool, his apologists regularly pointed to his goals tally – 70 league goals in his last four seasons. But the question is the cost of those goals. In Liverpool's case, playing to Owen made them predictable; in Sunderland's case it was an open midfield. Having one primary goalscorer tends to mean a side is one-dimensional. Now for a team that had spent most of the last decade with no effective dimensions, that was a huge step in the right direction for Sunderland. One functioning dimension will probably save you from relegation – although while Gérard Houllier clearly thinks Bent will save Aston Villa (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/aston-villa), he couldn't save Charlton Athletic in 2006-07 – but a side that sees itself as a regular challenger for European football needs more than that.
This feels like a critical point for Sunderland. It might be the moment at which the slowly mounting optimism of the past few months is popped, but it might just be the moment at which they emerge as a modern, two-dimensional team.

Bad Collin
January 19th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Only cos he got away with a handball on the line in literally every game he played for you :D

The FA Cup final one was the best, great save.

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 12:27 PM
To be honest Cappy that article has too many words at the moment so I'll reply later.

McBain
January 19th, 2011, 1:32 PM
If Bent was the type of player MON would have been in for why did he not look twice when he initially left Spurs? We were crying out for him to sign him then and he didn't.

I blame him for why we're now paying over the odds. Which we clearly are, but I'm still very happy with the signing because he's exactly what we've needed and a realistic purchase for us right now.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 19th, 2011, 2:14 PM
How do you know he didn't try to sign him? I doubt Spurs would have sold Bent to Villa back then giving they were direct rivals. Bent didn't exactly go for cheap and his stock was very low when Sunderland signed him.

Bent's transfer to Sunderland was pretty protracted. Spurs didn't let him go easily. They accepted bids only from sides battling relegation at the time (Stoke, Hull, Sunderland).

The point is that paying over the odds for an average Premier League player is an MON hallmark and this Bent transfer is perfectly in keeping with that policy.

Villa signed Downing, Delph and Warnock around the time Sunderland signed Bent, also.

Mik
January 19th, 2011, 4:11 PM
Mik, there is no way United would let Welbeck go for as little as £10m. No chance.

Very possibly not. Thats just the figure that has been bandied around so far.

You brought up what MON would have/would not have done.

Houllier has a patchy record on transfers and that is being extremely generous. He has always signed players from France and the vast majority have turned out to be complete shit. I think Makoun looks a good player, looked alright last year in an extremely poor Cameroon team, but he wasn't getting on for Lyon and they were happy to let him go for fully half what they signed him for. I wouldn't shit your britches over him just yet. I even left off Emile Heskey from that list, given that he was actually quite good for Liverpool for a season or two before they fucked him off for being useless.

Makoun is good value and should only improve the side. Bent, I just don't see where that signing is going after this season. There's an interesting article by Jonathon Wilson about him today in The Guardian:

Yeah, interesting article. I guess that we need to go through this period of growth at the moment without stumbling at this vital stage, because the avenues in terms of player negotiation that is open to us with the money from Bent combined with the position, might not be very long. I'm not sure that I'm overly impressed with any of the names I've heard so far, but I'm interested to see who we get ultimately. I do think that we certainly will need someone.

1_Pablo_Angel
January 19th, 2011, 5:35 PM
Villa aren't notoriously big spenders, that's why it is odd that you have spent so much. Even assuming it doesn't reach the £24m potential total cost, it's still a higher price than Arsenal and Spurs have ever paid for a player and is only slightly less than Liverpool paid to break their record for Torres. I don't think people are going to be hugely critical of the fee because Bent is a proven goalscorer and, let's face it, Villa are a little desperate at the moment. But it's still something of a shock because you rarely see sides spend that sort of money, much less a side like Villa, and much less still a side that are currently fighting for survival.

We need a goalscorer. Because of the situation we find ourselves in, i.e. 4th from bottom and with no strikers capable of finding the net, the purchase makes complete sense. We don't have time to take gambles on promising young forwards right now; besides, we've got 2 on our books already.

As a statement of intent and support for the manager it also makes complete sense. Sure we're paying over the odds, but that 18m has been sitting in the bank since Milner left so it's not like Randy's had to mortgage Villa Park or anything.

Who's to say what a player's worth? He could easily be worth that amount of money to us. Randy has no problem spending money provided (and Houllier made this point at yesterdays press conference) the manager is willing to buy into his plans regarding wage structure - i.e. what MON spat his dummy out about. You can't have 8 lads who never get a game on 40k+ a week. I agree the signing is one that, on the face of it, you could see O'Neil making, apart from the fact he NEVER bought a decent forward for us or was even really linked with any. We only got Carew because Lyon wanted rid while we were kicking Baros out.

Houllier has already got us playing better passing football. You can see the changes he's trying to make to our football, and you can see the scope of his player knowledge in terms of the guys we're being linked with and have bought in the case of Makoun.

You are being revisionist now to suit your own needs.

What's more, Darren Bent won't score for Villa if he doesn't suit the system, so Villa's system will have to be adapted to suit him.

Darren Bent going for £24 million here is probably going to be one of the biggest transfers this season. Real Madrid are looking for a striker right now and there's no way they'll be paying that for whoever they get. Man City just paid £27 million for Edin Dzeko, seen as one of the most promising young strikers in Europe. I am stunned that Villa could not find better value for money. Smacks of desperation and a lack of imagination. The only upside to this transfer is if Bent scores the goals that take Villa comfortably clear of relegation, but what about next season?

Obviously you hate anyone that isn't a technique 20 skill monster sort, but try and name one proven, consistent goalscorer that we could have reasonably got in this window? Not a punt for the future, someone in their prime who we could rely on to score goals in this league. There's no-one. You call it lack of imagination, most would call it sensible.

I'm delighted with this signing. Fuck the money, it's no use if you spend it on potential that doesn't end up scoring 20 goals a season and if we're honest, most potential doesn't end up doing that. It's Man City's money anyway. We are genuinely very close to having an excellent team. Gerard's putting in a new spine so he doesn't have to rely on MON's average foundations such as Petrov and Dunne. Once this is in place we can ease the unbelievably promising kids in and we'll be looking very good, with some experienced pros actually willing to stick their hands up and be counted.

Mik
January 19th, 2011, 6:11 PM
For the record, I've read a lot about the Bent move in the last few days, but I've never seen any insinuation whatsoever that Villa made an improper move for him. Bruce certainly didnt suggest that in his statements where he said that the fans were disappointed that Bent literally jumped to leave the club as soon as he heard of interest elsewhere (once with Fenerbache and once with Villa), despite saying publically how much he loved Sunderland and wanted to spend his time there. Theres no sour grapes there, there's no suggestion that Villa did anything wrong, just a bit of disappointment in the player, which is quite understandable, thats all.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 19th, 2011, 6:21 PM
What if Bent doesn't suit the Villa system then? I've already said if he scores goals, Villa win games and go up the table, then he'll be a good signing at this juncture. It is further on from that that I question spending so much money on such a limited player.

£24 million is a massive fee. Bent isn't guaranteed to score 20 goals a season, and the problem is if Bent isn't scoring you 20 goals a season then he's next to useless. There are a number of players that Villa could have signed for less in the summer who may have scored less goals themselves but contributed to a style of play that would result in more goals for the team overall. Spurs signed Bent and couldn't fit the guy in their team because he didn't have the tactical adaptability to fit into their style. January is a bad time to be buying strikers, which is why this transfer smacks less of a real strategy and more of desperation.

I argued when Villa signed Carew that he's complete shit, by the way. I still think he is. Crap player. Not so much to do with ability (which is fairly limited), mainly to do with his absolutely dreadful attitude which has stunk through his entire career.

Andy
January 19th, 2011, 6:38 PM
£24m isn't the number to focus on. The fee is £18m, which, while still obviously extortionate, is significantly less than £24m. However as Rosk says, if Bent's performances result in all the add-ons being met, then the fee will almost certainly be justified.

It's hard to imagine that Bent won't fit the Villa system, or at least fit a system they could quite comfortably adapt to. They have three solid wingers (four if Agbonlahor is played there sometimes) The midfield doesn't have much creativity but neither did Sunderland's, with Cattermole and Henderson charging around and working hard. I know Jordan Henderson is an exciting young player but I don't see him as much more of a creative force that the likes of Makoun, Bannan, Delph et al could be.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 19th, 2011, 6:48 PM
Bent can't head for shit. He can't link play. So in what way will he suit the use of wingers? What he suits is being part of a front two where he can run off the back of the defenders and be played in around the box. He needs someone up there to link play for him.

1_Pablo_Angel
January 19th, 2011, 6:58 PM
What if Bent doesn't suit the Villa system then? I've already said if he scores goals, Villa win games and go up the table, then he'll be a good signing at this juncture. It is further on from that that I question spending so much money on such a limited player.

£24 million is a massive fee. Bent isn't guaranteed to score 20 goals a season, and the problem is if Bent isn't scoring you 20 goals a season then he's next to useless. There are a number of players that Villa could have signed for less in the summer who may have scored less goals themselves but contributed to a style of play that would result in more goals for the team overall. Spurs signed Bent and couldn't fit the guy in their team because he didn't have the tactical adaptability to fit into their style. January is a bad time to be buying strikers, which is why this transfer smacks less of a real strategy and more of desperation.

I argued when Villa signed Carew that he's complete shit, by the way. I still think he is. Crap player. Not so much to do with ability (which is fairly limited), mainly to do with his absolutely dreadful attitude which has stunk through his entire career.

Carew's ability is anything but limited. On his day he's utterly unplayable.

No arguments here about his attitude mind.

It's all very well saying we should wait till the Summer but it's obviously not worth the risk given the cost of relegation. I understand what you're saying about Bent's all round ability, but we'll just have to trust in Houllier there. Randy wouldn't be buying players over his head, so he's obviously asked for him. Be interesting to see how he fits Bent in with the more technical, passing style he apparently wants. (Would understand that going on the back burner for now till next season given our position). The man's not an idiot. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 19th, 2011, 7:11 PM
I think one thing Houllier will be good for will be bringing through the young players. His most successful times at Liverpool, I feel, were through the use of home grown players and he is credited massively in France for the development of their youth structure. Maybe he sees Darren Bent as his Michael Owen for this level. But as I say, I don't rate Houllier's signings in general.

I'm looking forward to seeing the game on Saturday anyway, should be very interesting. Is it likely Makoun will have his work permit or not? I don't see why it should take so long as he's an established international player.

1_Pablo_Angel
January 19th, 2011, 7:20 PM
It was doubtful as of the weekend. Fuck knows why though, doesn't make much sense as you say. The Bent deal's kind of obliterated everything else Villa related media wise, so there might have been developments on it since then.

I won't be expecting too much from us if we play Petrov and NRC again. Houllier likes Bannan though, particularly at home. A point would be a bonus.

The Rosk
January 19th, 2011, 7:49 PM
Apparently were upping our bid for Adam and he has hinted he wants to leave. Bit unsure about this one.

da_man
January 20th, 2011, 3:46 AM
It's been reported by several sources that we're in advanced talks with Riquelme's agent. :hyper:

Andy
January 20th, 2011, 5:30 AM
I bet he's not as good as Riquelme.

Bad Collin
January 20th, 2011, 5:34 AM
:lol: Fantastic work from Andy there.

The Rosk
January 20th, 2011, 7:43 AM
Andy is on fucking fire.

son_of_foley
January 20th, 2011, 7:47 AM
AHAHAHA ANDY YOU PRICK

Bennedy
January 20th, 2011, 8:49 AM
Carew to Stoke A.PAZ

Chris Scott
January 20th, 2011, 8:54 AM
Interesting.

son_of_foley
January 20th, 2011, 9:00 AM
Talk of fuller and or tuncay on way out of Stoke as well

El Capitano Gatisto
January 20th, 2011, 9:01 AM
Tuncay needs to leave Stoke. He's too good to be fighting for a place with some big lumps.

Andy
January 20th, 2011, 9:07 AM
Gotta feel sorry for Gudjohnsen too. Pulis was just kidding himself when he thought he might be able to manage a team with that sort of creativity in it.

son_of_foley
January 20th, 2011, 9:10 AM
Stoke for about 3-4 months with Beattie and Etherington were playing LOVERLY stuff.

I just had to go google where Beattie was as I hadnt heard anything in ages. Rangers! fucking hell forgot all about that

Bennedy
January 20th, 2011, 9:15 AM
He might get a few more games now Kenny Miller is on his way out.

son_of_foley
January 20th, 2011, 9:18 AM
Would assume so, but I think he was seen as Boyds replacement as well wasn't he? Big Laffs should get a run with Weiss and Naismith either side

Bennedy
January 20th, 2011, 9:24 AM
Aye, that sounds like a tidy strike force. Weiss looks like a promising talent, not sure if he would make it into the City team though.

Andy
January 20th, 2011, 9:32 AM
I don't understand why Celtic are looking at a massive range of strikers. They have three who are more than decent in the SPL in Stokes, Hooper and Samaras. They also have Murphy and Maloney who can play up front and a youngster I forget the name of. Surely they should get a decent defender in first.

son_of_foley
January 20th, 2011, 9:34 AM
Is Forrest a winger or a striker? If Hooper stays fit he will plunder that division

Andy
January 20th, 2011, 9:35 AM
I suppose that could be why actually. Hooper is too good for the division, he'll be playing at a midtable Premier League club within a year.

I think Forrest can play wing or off the striker like Maloney, not sure though.

Beefy
January 20th, 2011, 9:41 AM
You mean Southend's former seventh choice striker, Gary Hooper?

Half our fans still think he's shit..

Simon
January 20th, 2011, 9:43 AM
A few signings have been confirmed - Wheater to Bolton, Hammill to Wolves and Carew on loan to Stoke.

Andy
January 20th, 2011, 9:51 AM
Hammill to Wolves will be interesting.

Carew to Stoke is just odd. Well not odd, because we know Pulis likes his gigantic lumps, but he has loads of them already. I don't see Carew being any better than Fuller at this stage.

Bennedy
January 20th, 2011, 9:51 AM
Miller to Burssaspor as well.

The Rosk
January 20th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Carew looked good for ten minutes against Birmingham last week. They were the only good ten minutes I have seen of him this entire season.

Simon
January 20th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Carew's career can be defined as a footnote to Ibrahimovic's after that comment Zlatan once made. Carew criticised him to the press while they were at Ajax and Ibra replied with:

"What Carew can do with a football, I can do with an orange."

Legend.

Also did anyone here Maradona's reaction to Messi winning the Ballon D'Or?

"It is good that people compare Messi with me. It means they leave out Pele."

:D

The Rosk
January 20th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Carew has never played for Ajax.

He's always done well enough for us. Worked well with Young and Gabby and scored something like 50 goals in 125 games which is pretty good considering half the time his attitude was appalling. As 1PA said, I haven't seen anyone on his day as unplayable as him.

son_of_foley
January 20th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Were Arsenal not sort of linked with him at the start of last season? Or was that just talk on here

Andy
January 20th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Ibra or Carew? I've never seen us linked with Carew, there were rumours of Barca offering Ibra as part of the deal for Fab last summer though. Load of shit.

son_of_foley
January 20th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Yeah Carew it must've been chat on here then.

da_man
January 20th, 2011, 3:26 PM
Pascal Chimbonda has had his contract cancelled.

What a waster that guy is. Awful attitude. Everything that is wrong with modern day footballers.

MMH
January 20th, 2011, 3:39 PM
Have we fucking signed anyone yet?

A real player, not a kid who may be good in 10 years.

Fuck off Kenwright.

Prototype16
January 20th, 2011, 3:44 PM
Carew could be a decent addition to the squad but I'm not sure why we're going after strikers this window - we need a full back and a central midfielder far more

This could spell the end on Tuncay brief run in the side .....

MMH
January 20th, 2011, 3:48 PM
Carew could be a decent addition to the squad but I'm not sure why we're going after strikers this window - we need a full back and a central midfielder far more

This could spell the end on Tuncay brief run in the side .....

Isnt Fuller a free agent at the end of the season?

I would have liked us to sign him as I think hes a decent player but we dont really need another striker who doesnt score much.

da_man
January 20th, 2011, 3:58 PM
Have we fucking signed anyone yet?

A real player, not a kid who may be good in 10 years.

Fuck off Kenwright.

I really don't get why Everton are always skint.

The wage bill can't be high because nobody is likely to be on silly money (I would class over £80k as silly) and the squad is small.

Add in that Everton get gates of 37-38,000 every week, I can't see why there's always a big shortage of money.

MMH
January 20th, 2011, 4:37 PM
I really don't get why Everton are always skint.

The wage bill can't be high because nobody is likely to be on silly money (I would class over £80k as silly) and the squad is small.

Add in that Everton get gates of 37-38,000 every week, I can't see why there's always a big shortage of money.

Same here. :\

1_Pablo_Angel
January 20th, 2011, 5:27 PM
Villa suddenly 1/5 on skybet to sign Robbie Keane :wtf:

da_man
January 20th, 2011, 5:31 PM
Young, Bent and Keane up front :o

Prototype16
January 20th, 2011, 6:39 PM
Isnt Fuller a free agent at the end of the season?

I would have liked us to sign him as I think hes a decent player but we dont really need another striker who doesnt score much.

He's under contract until 2012 but there's a lot of speculation at the moment that there's been a fall out of over a contract extension beyond that and he could be off to Sunderland before the window closes

Would be gutted to lose him

Chris Scott
January 20th, 2011, 8:32 PM
My predictions (based on guess and hope)

We will annouce a deal with Suarez @ 5pm Friday

Warnock will also be annouced as a loan signing later on.

Details of a Ashley Young bid will emerge tomorow night with it being confirmed Saturday with Ngog going to Sunderland on loan.

Keano's Magic Hat
January 20th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Rennes star Yann M'Vila has issued a come-and-get-me plea to the 'club of his dreams' - Manchester United.
The defensive midfielder has been a revelation for Rennes, who are currently flying high in Ligue Un, and has attracted interest from Liverpool and Real Madrid.
The France international would prefer a move to the Premier League over La Liga, but a transfer to Liverpool is currently not his first choice.
"Manchester United is the club of my dreams," M'Vila said. "It's a very prestigious club and I dream to play for them."

_____

Get him signed, please.

Bad Collin
January 21st, 2011, 4:08 AM
Fuck off! First Makoun and now M'vila. We are going to be stuck with Lucas forever.

Bennedy
January 21st, 2011, 4:16 AM
He can only improve right.

That's what people said about Kalou and look what happened ther.....yeah you're in trouble mate.

RFF Champ
January 21st, 2011, 4:59 AM
Villa suddenly 1/5 on skybet to sign Robbie Keane :wtf:

He was that price to join West Ham the other day.

We're in for Ireland on loan appaz.

Bennedy
January 21st, 2011, 6:08 AM
Fuller to Sunderland for 3m according to BBC.

Simon
January 21st, 2011, 6:08 AM
Good buy, I really rate Fuller.

Mik
January 21st, 2011, 7:27 AM
I think that he'd fit what we need at the moment to then move down the order a bit as wellbeck and Campbell return to fitness and hopefully form.

Beefy
January 21st, 2011, 7:39 AM
@skysportsrobp:
Reports from Spain suggest that Dani Alves has rejected Barcelona's offer of a new contract. With the Brazil international's current deal due to expire in June 2012, there have been suggestions that Manchester City could be interested.

I both love and hate Dani Alves equally. I'd like to see him in England though.

Alf
January 21st, 2011, 7:40 AM
Can you please sign Keane and/or Pav too?

Bennedy
January 21st, 2011, 7:47 AM
I'd be willing take a punt on Pav. I just want to see a new striker at Chelsea.

The Rosk
January 21st, 2011, 8:01 AM
Skybet have Liverpool at 1/10 to buy Charlie Adam this transfer window.

Alf
January 21st, 2011, 8:48 AM
A.Paz we have bid for Rossi now.

Odd, odd, odd. He's not really the style of player we need.

Keano's Magic Hat
January 21st, 2011, 9:15 AM
A.Paz we have bid for Rossi now.

Odd, odd, odd. He's not really the style of player we need.

He plays pretty much exactly where you have Van Der Vaart at the moment. It could work if VDV were to be played deeper as a central midfielder.

Rossi is so much better than Suarez, though. If the £16m figure is correct then that could be an absolute bargain. I fucking love Rossi.

YouTube - Guiseppe Rossi

Mik
January 21st, 2011, 9:18 AM
Looks like the deal for Stephane Sessegnon should be finalized soon.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 21st, 2011, 9:23 AM
He plays pretty much exactly where you have Van Der Vaart at the moment. It could work if VDV were to be played deeper as a central midfielder.

Rossi is so much better than Suarez, though. If the £16m figure is correct then that could be an absolute bargain. I fucking love Rossi.

I'm not sure about that. Rossi is a good player but he's not brilliant. Suarez offers the option of being able to play several roles: as a target man leading the line, off a main striker, or as a winger. He's big, strong, has a good touch and an excellent finisher. That's what Spurs lack, someone capable of leading the line. Crouch and Defoe aren't good enough to do it.

Alf
January 21st, 2011, 9:27 AM
Can Suarez lead the line? To be honest I don't know much about him... But yeah, Cappy is right about what we need.

Winkle van Tinkle
January 21st, 2011, 9:27 AM
Stephen Ireland to Newcastle is an odd one.

Simon
January 21st, 2011, 9:29 AM
Ireland and Barton should be good fun.

Keano's Magic Hat
January 21st, 2011, 9:33 AM
I'm not sure about that. Rossi is a good player but he's not brilliant. Suarez offers the option of being able to play several roles: as a target man leading the line, off a main striker, or as a winger. He's big, strong, has a good touch and an excellent finisher. That's what Spurs lack, someone capable of leading the line. Crouch and Defoe aren't good enough to do it.

Suarez could be incredible in England, but it's a huge gamble. I don't agree that his touch is good at all, it's suspect to say the least.

He is a great finisher but that isn't enough. Both Kezman and Alfonso Alves had records that were superior to his in Holland, and they flopped completely in England.

Rossi has a record of 42 goals in 109 games in Spain. That's a great record for a second striker. Especially one who isn't at an elite kind of club. His ability to link play and find himself space make him a bargain at £16m.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 21st, 2011, 9:39 AM
Rossi is very small and slight. I'm not saying he couldn't be a good player in England, but he's not what Spurs need. They already have a physically slight attack.

Further, the problem with Kezman and Alves is that they were box players, they wanted the ball in around the box to finish and the team needed to be ready to play with half a player until they got to the front.

Suarez' record in Holland is a reflection of the fact that he has spent most of time there and scored many of his goals while playing as a winger, not a striker. While those other two players didn't fit the modern role of a striker, particularly in English football, Suarez does. He can play as an orthodox winger or on the left as an inside forward. At the World Cup, he also demonstrated he can play as a traditional target man, running the channels, holding the ball up and stretching the defence to make room for other players.

Spurs need a player like Suarez, someone with physical presence, movement up front, the ability to link play and hold the ball up and a reliable finisher. He is strong on either foot too, which is a huge bonus.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 21st, 2011, 9:46 AM
Actually the United game showed up exactly Spurs' problem. Vidic beasted Crouch, Crouch had one good chance and fluffed it. He either needed to take his chance or rough up Vidic, preferably both. Luis Suarez is capable of either.

Keano's Magic Hat
January 21st, 2011, 9:49 AM
I'll be honest and say that I didn't realise his record came from the wing. I took an active interest in watching Ajax because United were linked quite heavily with him a year back. He played up front in the games I watched him and wasn't really impressive.

I just don't see him as this great all-round player people make him out to be. I think his technique lacks, and his unorthodox style makes me question whether he'd be a success in a tougher, faster league. He doesn't bend his knees enough when he runs, doesn't shield the ball well enough when he's in possession but he'll retain it and bring others into play. He's an odd kind of player.

Keano's Magic Hat
January 21st, 2011, 9:50 AM
Actually the United game showed up exactly Spurs' problem. Vidic beasted Crouch, Crouch had one good chance and fluffed it. He either needed to take his chance or rough up Vidic, preferably both. Luis Suarez is capable of either.

I can't believe he wasn't given instructions to go and play against Rio. He was never going to beat Vidic in the air. I was expecting him to go and switch sides but he never did. Strange.

Alf
January 21st, 2011, 9:50 AM

Absolutely spot on. That's exactly what we need.

Or a player smart enough to know when they are beat and figure out another way of getting what they want.

Suarez is adaptable, like you say.

I didn't realise he'd played as a target man in the WC, but the way you describe him is exactly what we need.

Winkle van Tinkle
January 21st, 2011, 9:58 AM
Poor old Kezman is now playing for South China with Nicky Butt :(

El Capitano Gatisto
January 21st, 2011, 10:01 AM
I'll be honest and say that I didn't realise his record came from the wing. I took an active interest in watching Ajax because United were linked quite heavily with him a year back. He played up front in the games I watched him and wasn't really impressive.

I just don't see him as this great all-round player people make him out to be. I think his technique lacks, and his unorthodox style makes me question whether he'd be a success in a tougher, faster league. He doesn't bend his knees enough when he runs, doesn't shield the ball well enough when he's in possession but he'll retain it and bring others into play. He's an odd kind of player.

He played up front last season (replacing Huntelaar) for Ajax as far as I know because he'd scored so many goals from the wing in the previous seasons. He scored 49 goals in all competitions last season so he did alright when he moved up there.

I've mainly seen him play for Uruguay and they tended to use him playing on the left, coming in on his right foot, in World Cup qualifying. At the World Cup they changed it up a bit and had him leading the line with Forlan playing off him and it showed Suarez could do that job of making space for another player. I see it working with Van der Vaart playing behind him and if, down the line, Spurs alter their set-up then Suarez is adaptable enough to play on the wing.

Ajax never get ripped off for their players which is why I think signing him might be troublesome. Their whole model now relies on getting players in and selling them at enormous profit and Suarez was one of their more expensive signings. It's a sad state of affairs for a great club.

MMH
January 21st, 2011, 10:02 AM
Looks like the deal for Stephane Sessegnon should be finalized soon.

Would be a good signing that. How much for?

Mik
January 21st, 2011, 10:07 AM
I've heard reports between 4.5 - 7m.

Keano's Magic Hat
January 21st, 2011, 10:09 AM
He was awesome in my Wigan Athletic team on Football Manager 2010. Based on that I think it's a great deal for Sunderland.

Keano's Magic Hat
January 21st, 2011, 10:10 AM
Mik, Craig Gordon to United in the summer. What have you heard?

Simon
January 21st, 2011, 10:11 AM
One thing you will notice now Mik is that the asking price for everyone you're interested in will shoot up because everyone thinks you're loaded. In the short term you're probably worse off than when you had Bent, because (according to The Guardian) the entire first instalment has gone straight into our pockets and now everyone is going to try to fleece you for money you don't actually have.

Alf
January 21st, 2011, 10:12 AM

I was about to post something similar.

Mint on FM = mint in real life.

That's just science lads.

EDIT: BAH, I've quoted the wrong post.

Keano's Magic Hat
January 21st, 2011, 10:13 AM
One thing you will notice now Mik is that the asking price for everyone you're interested in will shoot up because everyone thinks you're loaded. In the short term you're probably worse off than when you had Bent, because (according to The Guardian) the entire first instalment has gone straight into our pockets and now everyone is going to try to fleece you for money you don't actually have.

ahaha, yup. It pisses me off as a United fan, because until very recently it always appeared to be one rate for United and another for all the other English clubs.

It's okay now that we're poor, though.

Keano's Magic Hat
January 21st, 2011, 10:15 AM
I was about to post something similar.

Mint on FM = mint in real life.

That's just science lads.

EDIT: BAH, I've quoted the wrong post.

Spurs should sign To Madeira. The best player in the history of manager games. I think it was 01/02, he was a goal machine.

Him, Kennedy, Mark Kerr and Robben. To Madeira was the star, though. Who the fuck is he?

Mik
January 21st, 2011, 10:15 AM

The only genuine rumour I've heard is wellbeck plus ten million. Which frankly would he a terrible deal for you.

Aye. We already had that with Keane. Quinny and Bruce have both said that they are aware of it and won't be rushing in to spending money they don't have on a marquee signing.

Alf
January 21st, 2011, 10:20 AM
He was no one KMH. He was made-up.