PDA

View Full Version : From the Creators of The Wire: HBO's Treme

Miotch
February 11th, 2010, 1:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVfIYXaeolU

Treme is an upcoming American drama television series created by David Simon and Eric Overmyer.[1] The series takes place three months after Hurricane Katrina where the residents of New Orleans, including musicians, chefs, Mardi Gras Indians and ordinary New Orleanian try to rebuild their lives, their homes and their unique culture in the aftermath of the 2005 hurricane.[1][2][3] The series is scheduled to premiere April 11, 2010, on HBO.[4][5] The first season will consist of 10 episodes, including an 80-minute pilot episode.[2]

To say I'm excited for this would be an understatement. Evidently Wendell Price (Bunk) and Peter Clark (Lester Freemon) are attached to the project as well. Considering that the city of Baltimore was essentially the main character in The Wire, I think this is going to be a phenomenal series.

Canuck
February 11th, 2010, 2:35 PM
Haven't really taken the time to watch The Wire, but this sounds interesting enough to give it a shot.

Miotch
February 11th, 2010, 2:37 PM
You really should make the time for The Wire.

Canuck
February 11th, 2010, 2:54 PM
I've been meaning to, I've just been catching up on some other stuff first. I really don't know anything about it, which usually results in it getting pushed down my priority list. :\

Myles
February 11th, 2010, 3:27 PM
it will change the way you view television

Fro
February 11th, 2010, 3:29 PM
no it won't but watch it anyway

treme sounds great

Bluemoon
February 11th, 2010, 3:48 PM
I'm going to try and get into this.

Miotch
February 11th, 2010, 3:57 PM
I have very high hopes for it, probably too high in fact. That said, how can it not be immense?

Bluemoon
March 24th, 2010, 7:46 PM
As we get closer to when this starts, is this getting lots of hype in US?

Miotch
March 24th, 2010, 7:50 PM
There are some billboards popping up, and HBO is certainly plugging it. Nothing too over the top though.

Bluemoon
March 24th, 2010, 8:04 PM
Cheers.

Miotch
March 24th, 2010, 8:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jnSzAI3gCQ

Looks great. Gotta love Goodman.

Bluemoon
March 26th, 2010, 8:00 PM
:hyper:

Gary J
March 26th, 2010, 8:00 PM
Looking forward to this.

Chris Scott
March 31st, 2010, 8:14 PM
Me too, can't wait.

Miotch
April 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Words cannot really express how much I loved that 90 minutes of television.

The whole thing just felt like The Wire in the way it was shot.

The bird suit was fucking amazing.

You can tell there's going to be some absolutely heart wrenching shit in this show.

I'm going to have to learn the dialect though. Man, it was tough to follow some of what was going on.

The music was integrated into the show so well. I am completely impressed with the pilot and cannot wait til next week.

virms
April 12th, 2010, 1:02 PM
Gave this a download last night and look forward to watching it. The show oozes with so much potential it's sickening.

Miotch
April 12th, 2010, 3:11 PM
Did no one else watch this?????

Fro
April 12th, 2010, 4:41 PM
I would have if I got HBO

Mik
April 12th, 2010, 5:11 PM
I'm going to download it tomorrow.

Miotch
April 12th, 2010, 5:36 PM
You'll love it. It's right up your alley.

Alf
April 15th, 2010, 10:57 AM
How do you pronounce Treme? I don't want to embarrass myself when talking about it.

Fro
April 15th, 2010, 11:04 AM
truh-MAY, I believe

Alf
April 15th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Not

tre-MAY

Hobbit
April 15th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I'm going to acquire this over the weekend. If it's not amazing I'm going to cut your throat Miotch.

Miotch
April 15th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Well you seem to only like shit things now for some reason Hobbz, so you'll probably hate this.

Hobbit
April 15th, 2010, 1:01 PM
ahaha what twollop.

Nah in fairness this looks really good. I'm also massively into Breaking Bad at the moment. That is top notch. Is that Cutty I see in there amongst Bunk and Freamon?

Mik
April 15th, 2010, 4:12 PM
Odd. I assumed it would be pronounced Treme like Cream.

RockOverBoston
April 15th, 2010, 4:15 PM
Wasting no time, HBO has already ordered a second season.

Miotch
April 15th, 2010, 5:31 PM
Yeah, saw that. Smart move, though it's somewhat surprising in that I don't think it did all that well in the ratings.

Mik
April 15th, 2010, 6:13 PM
Doesnt matter, its already been suggested for Emmy's. You go for popularity of awards as a TV exec.

RockOverBoston
April 15th, 2010, 6:27 PM
It's true -- that's about all that caused season 3 of "Damages", if you think about it...

BBF
April 16th, 2010, 4:37 AM
I downloaded the first episode last night. Gonna give it a watch tonight, I'm expecting big things.

Gary J
April 16th, 2010, 7:27 AM
I was expecting big things and was slightly let down. It was just ok and if it wasn't from the creators of The Wire i probably wouldn't be willing to keep checking it out.

Mik
April 16th, 2010, 1:27 PM
I probably would've said the same after the first episode of The Wire I'd watched, had I not been highly recommended it.

Fro
April 18th, 2010, 2:00 PM
I don't know what sort of big things people were expecting but I thought it was great for a first episode. Like GP said, The Wire wasn't incredible right off the bat. It got better and better as the viewer became familiar with the characters, and the same will happen with Treme.

RockOverBoston
April 18th, 2010, 2:10 PM
The Treme Facebook fanpage has proven somewhat shockingly informative on more than a few occasions now. I'd recommend you all "Become A Fan" of it.

Gary J
April 18th, 2010, 6:45 PM
I don't know what sort of big things people were expecting but I thought it was great for a first episode. Like GP said, The Wire wasn't incredible right off the bat. It got better and better as the viewer became familiar with the characters, and the same will happen with Treme.

I wasn't saying it was awful it was just so-so after a few episodes i have no doubt i will be hooked. I was just expecting more i supose after loving The Wire , The Corner , Generation Kill.

thetony
April 19th, 2010, 7:32 PM
Pride on Bourbon Street.

Miotch
April 19th, 2010, 7:34 PM
So did Lester Freamon (sorry, can't remember the character name at the moment) kill that thief? If so, what did he do with the body?

The pilot was more entertaining than episode 2, in my opinion, but I still enjoyed it.

thetony
April 19th, 2010, 8:01 PM
Seems like he killed him. Not sure if Lester (goes by Albert - thanks IMDB) was worried about leaving him in the house like that, can't trace bodies back to Stanfield/Barksdale crews. :p

Happy to see the Slim Charles cameo, hope to see more of those throughout the upcoming seasons.

thetony
April 19th, 2010, 8:14 PM
I just can't wait to learn more about Bunk/Lester's musical past (I feel terrible for referencing them from The Wire :lol:). Also the (hopeful) proverbial reunion between the two meeting and playing a gig together.

What's with Lester's "chief" ritual - or whatever it is he seems to be gathering his old mates for?

Miotch
April 19th, 2010, 8:19 PM
I believe he's the Chief of Mardis Gras, no? His son mentioned his interest in the native american ties to it in the 2nd episode when he was lecturing him about being caught smoking weed before he killed that dude.

And fuck yes, Slim Charles.

thetony
April 19th, 2010, 8:46 PM
Ah. Thanks for that.

You mentioned it in an earlier post, how at times its hard to pick up on some of the dialect used (I noticed from the very first scene of the pilot). I'll have to give it a re-run to pick up on the shady parts.

Myles
April 21st, 2010, 9:51 PM
Just watched the first two and I'm enjoying it. It is easier to get into than the wire was for me, it took like 5 or 6 of the wire before I was stoked.

Second episode was solid, I'm loving Davis and his cook gf/fuck buddy. Also Goodmans speech about the uni cuts was bang on. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

thetony
April 21st, 2010, 10:08 PM
Davis going from job to job was funny.

Also Bunk's inability to pay for his cab fair. :lol:

Myles
April 26th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Downloading the third episode right now. I'm looking forward to it.

Miotch
April 27th, 2010, 12:46 PM
It was better than the 2nd. Good shit. :yes:

Myles
May 3rd, 2010, 2:03 PM
3rd was by far the best so far. It had a great mix of seriousness with some of Davis being the man. There is something about the young musician with the gf (can't remember his name) that makes you want to smack him yet you feel for him at the same time.

I'm downloading the fourth as I write this, other people really need to get on board as this has the potential to be as good as the wire.

Gary J
May 3rd, 2010, 2:12 PM
Yeah loved the third episode. Will download the fourth later and looking forward to it.

Miotch
May 3rd, 2010, 2:16 PM
I liked the 4th more than the 3rd, really.

The pieces are starting to fall into place and we're getting a good idea as to where this is going.

Myles
May 5th, 2010, 12:41 AM
great episode, not as good as the third for me, but enjoyable anyway. I loved goodman's youtube rant. Not enough of the sexy cook though, her bitching at davis was good though.

I'm loving this show and I wish I had access to the whole season right now and wouldn't have to wait a week in between episodes.

edit: i found out his rant was based on a real blog that got huge in 2005. :yes:

Myles
May 10th, 2010, 1:52 PM
downloading episode 5 right now :yes: cant wait...

Miotch
May 10th, 2010, 1:55 PM
It's probably my favorite so far.

Myles
May 10th, 2010, 1:56 PM
episode 3 for me, but hopefully this one tops it, as long as we see the beautiful chef and davis does some funny shit and that amsterdam kid does some more blow it will be great.

Miotch
May 17th, 2010, 2:13 PM
Another great episode...

I wish this show was on every night. I just can't get enough of it.

LOCONUT
June 1st, 2010, 1:49 AM
I have 3 episodes of this to catch up. Loved seeing Slim Charles and Prez again.

thetony
June 7th, 2010, 5:40 PM
I've been loving this series.

Did anyone else feel ol' Bunk's hands on their shoulders during that message scene in the latest ep?

Bluemoon
June 28th, 2010, 3:39 PM
This still any good?

Miotch
June 28th, 2010, 3:41 PM
Amazing.

Wish the first season was longer than 10 episodes though. At least it was immediately picked up for a 2nd. Cannot wait til next spring.

Bluemoon
June 28th, 2010, 3:48 PM
Going to get right on this once laptop is fixed. 10 eps why so low?

Miotch
June 28th, 2010, 5:11 PM
I'm not sure why it was only 10 episodes. Maybe they weren't sure the show would be picked up? Who knows. I'm pretty sure every season of The Wire was at least 12, so I was a bit shocked.

Myles
July 5th, 2010, 3:28 AM
watched the last couple and some interesting developements. Mr. Amsterdam is a bit of a twat, but he seems real enough.

I'm not going to spoil anything for anyone but...

Goodmans suicide was played out well, on one hand I'm disappointed his character is gone as he was fantastic, on the other it made sense and will make for drama in season 2.

anyone besides mitch and thetony finish the season off?

grimshaw
July 23rd, 2010, 12:23 AM
Done this now. Real good.

I wonder if I'd like it if I wasn't such a mark for NO music, though. Seems a bit slow-moving and like a little bit of a 'we love new orleans' circle-jerk.

HowE-VER I did like it a lot, especially Goodman, Bunk and the white couple.

Myles
October 16th, 2010, 8:39 PM
when does season 2 start?

Reveille
October 16th, 2010, 10:20 PM
dunno but can't wait...

Bluemoon
October 17th, 2010, 5:35 PM
I've still not watched this, got all the episodes ready to watch.

Myles
October 17th, 2010, 6:38 PM
do it, you won't be disappointed, it is slow at times but it makes up for it.

Reveille
October 18th, 2010, 12:39 AM
The only time for next season that I could find was 2011...

Chris Scott
November 17th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Been recommended this by bluemoon and just read through this thread.

I look forward to watching this.

Chris Scott
November 17th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Been recommended this by bluemoon and just read through this thread.

I look forward to watching this.

grimshaw
November 17th, 2010, 12:43 PM
If you're into jazz you'll love this show. If you're not I fear you might be sitting there wondering what all these people are yammering about how great jazz is etc...

Chris Scott
November 17th, 2010, 1:51 PM
Funnu enough I don't mind jazz.

Miotch
November 17th, 2010, 2:11 PM
You don't need to like jazz in order to like this show. That's preposterous.

grimshaw
November 17th, 2010, 2:22 PM
Hey I don't know. After all I'm directly in the target audiance as a long time Jazz lover and in particular the style espoused on the show. But I do think that the fact that I'm way into the music of the show is a big part of its appeal.

Myles
November 17th, 2010, 2:43 PM
yea I know nothing about jazz and I enjoyed it.

Thats like saying you need to like beer to be a stone cold steve austin fan.

Gary J
November 17th, 2010, 2:53 PM
Put me down as another who knows nothing about Jazz but enjoyed the show. I thought a second season was on since the thread had been bumped.

Myles
November 17th, 2010, 2:58 PM
not for like a year :(

Miotch
November 17th, 2010, 4:12 PM
April I think?

grimshaw
November 18th, 2010, 1:00 AM
Good to know, guys.

On the other extreme, is there anyone who is *now* into jazz thanks to the show?

Myles
March 9th, 2011, 4:16 PM
So this show is back April 24th, can't wait. I plan on watching the entire season again over the next few weeks to get ready for it.

Miotch
March 9th, 2011, 4:54 PM
Cannot fucking wait.

grimshaw
March 9th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Gotta dust of MAH BONE

Reveille
March 9th, 2011, 11:13 PM
anyone know where I can download season one?

Version 6
March 9th, 2011, 11:30 PM
www.internet.com/torrent

Myles
April 24th, 2011, 11:43 PM
so this comes back tonight, already downloading the episode. I'll most likely watch it late tonight, or early tommorrow. :hyper:

love this show...

Miotch
April 25th, 2011, 2:33 PM
Loved it. A bit heavy on the music, and I think that's ultimately what's going to kill this show, but that doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's such a huge piece of the show.

grimshaw
April 25th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I do not follow what you just said.

Myles
April 26th, 2011, 1:43 AM
good episode, very slow though. :yes:

It will build then, just like the first season. Coke boy is going to do something extreme I reckon.

Miotch
April 26th, 2011, 2:04 PM
I do not follow what you just said.
The music is very much a character in the show, and as such it's given a ton of screen time. They actually go to the effort to show full songs on occasion. While I personally love it, as music in television is my job, I think it's what's going to end up being the death nail for the show. I think it might put people off as it doesn't do much for plot or story.

Marlon Dingle
May 9th, 2011, 3:37 PM
Just finished Season 1. Loved it.

Heartbreaking yet totally mesmerising.

Very strong for a first season. Very much looking forward to the 2nd Season.

I thought the flashback at the very end, showing just before Katrina was a great contrast. Showing just how much damage the storm did to all of these peoples lives. Just really great storytelling. Also the death in the penultimate episode had me in tears, I couldn't believe it was happening until it actually happened.

BBF
May 9th, 2011, 4:19 PM
Not worthy of its own thread but has anyone seen The Corner? HBO mini series.

Is it worth checking out?

Myles
May 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Yea it is solid, but very gritty and depressing. It is also very 90s but worth a watch.

Don't expect the wire though, it is low budget and gritty as fuck.

I liked it though.

thetony
May 12th, 2011, 5:17 PM
The Corner is shot "documentary" style. Quite a few of the actors you see again in The Wire (as different characters obviously), but it's still interesting to see.

Just watched the second season's first episode of Treme. Speaking of old characters from The Wire, I love seeing me some Ziggy.

Version 6
December 20th, 2012, 6:53 PM
So, is anybody still watching this?

I just finished the finale of the third season last night. This is quite possibly my favourite show on TV at the moment but I don't know a single other person who watches it.

Chris Scott
December 21st, 2012, 9:44 PM
I kinda lost interest towards the end of season 1/beginning of season 2, just wasn't my thing.

Grimario
June 30th, 2013, 7:46 PM
So, is anybody still watching this?

I just finished the finale of the third season last night. This is quite possibly my favourite show on TV at the moment but I don't know a single other person who watches it.

I just started it a week or so ago (after finishing Homicide: Life on the Street) and already have plowed through to almost the end of Season 2. Brilliant stuff.

Version 6
June 30th, 2013, 8:27 PM
Great show, isn't it mate.

The characters are so rich that you really develop a deep understanding/affection for them. Brilliantly written and acted.

Grimario
June 30th, 2013, 8:29 PM
Aye. And then the music, jeebus. So good. Currently have a Treme Youtube playlist on right now.

Grimario
June 30th, 2013, 9:07 PM
Also, jeebus, I love Lucia Micarelli.

Version 6
June 30th, 2013, 9:11 PM
Oh yeah, she's amazing. And I have a bit of a mancrush on the Dutch lad who plays her boyfriend.

If I could pick any man in the world to look like, it would probably be him.

Grimario
January 19th, 2015, 8:12 PM
Bump

Finished watching this over the xmas break. It just ENDED. Was so abrupt. Left me feeling a bit disappointed.

Version 6
January 19th, 2015, 8:17 PM
Yes it did, but anything more dramatic or plot driven wouldn't have been true to the pacing or plot of the show.

I thought everything about it, beginning to end was just perfect. It was so refreshing for a show to just let moments breathe.

God I loved that show. It could very well be my favourite drama show of all time.

Rancid_Planet
January 22nd, 2015, 11:49 PM
I'm considering watching Treme next as I just finished The Wire and I just thought I'd ask a question or two to anyone that might answer.

- Does the show have the same realistic character types as in The Wire? ONE of the things I enjoyed so much about The Wire was the almost total lack of over the top "tv" characters. Everyone just felt REAL.

- The dialogue? Is it as intense and honest as in The Wire? I don't want to bother if the writing is hokey on any level.

Thanks.

Grimario
January 22nd, 2015, 11:55 PM
I'm considering watching Treme next as I just finished The Wire and I just thought I'd ask a question or two to anyone that might answer.

- Does the show have the same realistic character types as in The Wire? ONE of the things I enjoyed so much about The Wire was the almost total lack of over the top "tv" characters. Everyone just felt REAL.

- The dialogue? Is it as intense and honest as in The Wire? I don't want to bother if the writing is hokey on any level.

Thanks.

Yes and yes.

Watched it because it was from The Wire creator, stayed for the music and enthralling characters.

SeanMooneysClassyJackets
January 23rd, 2015, 2:01 PM
Great to see some Treme fans on here. Excellent taste.

Version 6
January 29th, 2015, 6:43 PM

Thanks.

Even more realistic than the wire in terms of character and narrative.

I mean The Wire had two detectives use dead bodies to create a murderer. If you like that The Wire doesn't feel like a TV Show, you'll love Treme. It makes The Wire look like NCIS in comparison.

Tainted Eclipse
January 29th, 2015, 6:55 PM
the wire had tons of over the top tv characters. the wire deals with real issues in impressive ways but i dont get why some people act like its some bastion of realism.

Pete Cash
January 29th, 2015, 7:22 PM
Omar for example was pretty much written as almost an urban myth come to life. Its very cool. Same with Brother Mouzone. The wire did run with a little bit of urban fantasy. Not to the point where it was jarring but certainly to an extent.

SeanMooneysClassyJackets
January 29th, 2015, 7:35 PM
Donnie Andrews was the chief inspiration behind Omar, who in some respects was toned down in places from the man himself.

As for Brother Mouzone, not a million miles away from some of the more psychopathic elements of his persuasion. Outlandish as that might well seem.

Pete Cash
January 29th, 2015, 7:47 PM
The Wire is rooted in Greek tragedy according to the word of the creator. Omar is a tragic greek character. I have seen him compared to Achilles. The rage at the death of his partner (and lover), the legend around him and his immortality but also the character at heart knows that he is doomed. Plus Omar does dig on Greek mythology as a bit of a nod.

While Omar is influenced by Donnie Andrews in the sense that he is a stick up man with a code he is also different from his real life comparison. For starters there is the matter of his sexuality.

Pete Cash
January 29th, 2015, 7:49 PM
http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/arts-and-books/wire-greek-tragedy-optimism

But it would be wrong to think of The Wire as a straight translation of Greek tragedy into a 21st-century setting. Simon has said that “Omar and [kingpin drug dealer] Stringer had to die.” But they do not die because they challenge the gods. It is the society in which these characters must act that ordains their ends. In challenging the institutions that shape their lives they may be displaying a type of hubris—the inordinate human pride that the Greek tragedians mocked; but the projects that bring about their ruin are mostly attempts to realise normal human needs and desires. The protagonists want to live, and enjoy a life that is not shaped by fear; they need a degree of respect from others, while wanting to be able to live on good terms with themselves. If they serve the institutions that police the city, it is not because they are necessarily callous or venal. They are looking for a modicum of security and success, without which their lives would hardly differ from those of the underclass.

SeanMooneysClassyJackets
January 29th, 2015, 7:52 PM
Yes, he is. That's the archetype. I didn't say he was Donnie Andrews - the differences are many and varied - but without Donnie Andrews the Omar onscreen would be a notably different proposition.

Most modern stories are rooted in Greek tragedy, much as most modern music is rooted in the blues. That's just the way we ran with it, and it serves us well.

Pete Cash
January 29th, 2015, 8:02 PM
It is still fantastical elements. I mean even based on a real life dude who lived a rather fantastical life David Simmons still ramped up the fantasy. There is nothing wrong with fantasy and the wire without it would have been a weaker show. The mythos of the world of the wire is very interesting. Brother Mouzone is played straight as a mythic character even by the rest of the show. Omar is steeped in his own mythology. Omar is coming makes people literally flee.

Like take Marlo Stanfield for example. There is an obvious amount of irony in the ending of the series where Marlo is really just a force of pure malevolence he doesn't want the trappings of power he just wants power. He represents the kids who were born during the 80s and suffered the full force of Reagan stepping up the war on drugs. They lost their parents, they lost friends and thus they become even more ruthless and violent.

Stringer was the gangster that was trying to go legit. He wanted wealth and got played because of his hubris against the very institutions he was a part of. Marlo is almost that institution personified so he gets what stringer wanted. Even if Marlo himself doesn't really care for it.

SeanMooneysClassyJackets
January 29th, 2015, 8:06 PM
I wasn't disputing that, although it's worth mentioning the one time the reality was toned down (Omar jumps from the fourth floor; Donnie jumped from the sixth).

I get how The Wire was constructed. I didn't work on it at all but I did do a fair amount on Treme (hence my original post in this thread), and I get the whats, hows and whys of its creation. No need to wear out the keyboard on my account. :)

Tainted Eclipse
January 30th, 2015, 12:11 AM
also the wire is incredibly over-written, every scene has to be a shakespearean dialogue. its great because the writers are brilliant but its another distinctly non-realist aspect of the show.