PDA

View Full Version : The NXT Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92

BBF
February 5th, 2010, 5:16 AM
So, with the announcement that WWE:NXT will be replacing ECW in 3 weeks time, what can be expect from the show?

Will it be solely a place where new stars can hone their skills before being moved up to the big two shows? Will it be full of veterans to help the youngsters progress? Will existing stars like Yoshi and Ryder headline the show allowing established stars like Christian to move up?

Discuss what you think we can expect from the show, who you think will be on it and ultimately whether you think it will be a success or a failure. Eventually we can put results and general show chatter here too :yes:

Mortalis
February 5th, 2010, 5:21 AM
Posted it in the ECW thread. Should probably should post it here too.

First picture of the NXT logo.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/arti...revealed-95883

Mik
February 5th, 2010, 5:21 AM
I think that it'll be pretty much exactly the same as ECW was.

son_of_foley
February 5th, 2010, 5:30 AM
Think it would be better if they possibly had a points or ranking system which allowed wrestlers to get off the show after a certain number of consecutive wins or something. Would be a way of making every match count

ChocolateThunder
February 5th, 2010, 5:31 AM
That could be an interesting concept.... Certainly better than "Oh, wait a minute, what the hell is Sheamus doing on RAW now? He was just starting to do okay on ECW!"

For people watching NXT it would certainly make them anticipate the young guy moving up to the 'big leagues'.

son_of_foley
February 5th, 2010, 5:35 AM
I would like them to do it that way or have a draft and if not just ring-fence it off from raw and smackdown.

Go mental with sci-fi aspects and do some properly far out stuff. Go for a niche market.

Mik
February 5th, 2010, 5:36 AM
Think it would be better if they possibly had a points or ranking system which allowed wrestlers to get off the show after a certain number of consecutive wins or something. Would be a way of making every match count

Yeah, that'd be a really good idea, only it might give it a prison vibe and may diminish the show if the whole point of the show was for people to try and get off it.

Dubya
February 5th, 2010, 9:39 AM
So then will guys like Christian and Regal just not be there at all? Cuz .. I'm thinking .. if there's no stars on the show AT ALL .. and its all just newer wrestlers .. why the fuck would people want to watch that MORE than they did ECW? At least then, I could watch Christian and Regal .. .. seems kinda poorly thought through if that is true.

Bad Collin
February 5th, 2010, 9:48 AM
Also if it is just young guye, who are they going to learn from?

ChocolateThunder
February 5th, 2010, 9:50 AM
Perhaps they could really turn it into a super version of Ring of Honor type deal.

Have someone that's going to absolutely star on RAW/SD be the headline just as CM Punk was in RoH.

Make Kofi Kingston, for example, the headline act on the show. He's young enough that he is 'NXT' yet he's seasoned enough now that he's a "name". It's similar to having Christian and Regal on the show but it fits more inline with the 'NXT' concept.

What I think people are forgetting with the 'NXT' show is that they'll still be travelling with the Smackdown roster. Smackdown has enough guys that they'll be able to learn without necessarily having them on the same show.

Ringo
February 5th, 2010, 9:51 AM
Where does it say it'll just be young guys? I would hope that like ECW there'll be a couple of veterans to help out.

EdgeHead469
February 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Not anyone of high value though. They need to get Christian onto Smackdown.
And, they should bring back the Television Title to be defended on the show.
Either that, or bring in a brand new belt. I don't know what they would call it,
but something that the top "future" star wears.

Ringo
February 5th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Finlay, Regal, Chavo, KFN, Goldust and Matt Hardy would be excellent veteran additions to the "NXT" roster.

And then the likes of Ziggler, Yoshi, Ryder, Bourne, Reks, Baretta & Croft, Zeke, Primo, Vance Archer, Hart Dynasty perhaps etc. would work.

BBF
February 5th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I would've personally started this the week after Mania. Starts the whole thing off totally fresh.

Have a ECW Battle Royale at Mania with everyone. The winner gets a move to Smackdown or Raw (their choice). Christian and Regal are the last two and eventually Christian wins, leaving for Smackdown to face/help Edge. The draft happens as planned on Raw the following night and a few people switch places between Raw and Smackdown whilst a few people leave NXT with only a couple joining (Finlay and perhaps Kane).

Unfortunately with NXT starting much sooner they seem to be keeping a few people on there for a bit anyway. Hopefully a 'tv' title is introduced and Yoshi, Shelton, Ryder, Burchill and Jackson lead the next gen brand into its new era.

Finlay, Regal, Kane, Goldust can help out the younger guys.

Defrost
February 5th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Looks like the OVW logo

Dubya
February 5th, 2010, 11:36 AM
But if you keep one of the established "next" guys like Kofi on this show full of people no one knows about .. what does that really do for him? Nothing..

One Man Gang
February 5th, 2010, 12:19 PM
They'll probably send in Bryan Danielson to take over Christian's spot and move him to RAW or Smackdown.

BBF
February 5th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Imagine if WWE had got Nigel.

McGuinness/Danielson/Regal/Burchill/Katie Lea stable :yes: :heart:

UncannyIowan
February 5th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I don't think it's going to be really any different than what is going on now, this is just a way to finally get away from the name "ECW". There is no way people are going to watch the show because they've been conditioned to watch a show at 10/9c on SyFy, you need to have the guys like Christian, Shelton, William Regal. So yeah, I think that this is simply a way to get out of calling the show "ECW".

At least that's what I hope.

chotliwala
February 5th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Like that idea. Doubt they'll use it and if they did people would scream that they are ripping off Evolve.

Get Danielson and Ki on this show, have Regal be the authority figure so that they still have someone to learn from.

Deewun
February 5th, 2010, 2:53 PM
I'd love to see a match between the veteran's to crown a NXT GM, with Regal ending up winning it. That would be a great and entertaining way to tell the story.

Defrost
February 5th, 2010, 2:54 PM
I demand Bryan Danielson vs Low Ki

Tom B. Stone
February 5th, 2010, 3:05 PM
A roster with guys like Danielson, Bourne, Burchill, Tatsu, the Colons and Ryder breaking free of "working WWE style" would be great. Give them 10-minute matches, let them do backstage promos before and/or after (rather than long in-ring angles), show brief video features about who they are and why they are there.

They need people Regal, Goldust an Finlay to lead them and show them the ropes.

The problem is that the show, even with Christian as a popular guy who deserves to be on the main roster, is only just scraping its way to 1.0 ratings. I don't know what they can do to get better numbers than that. It's not a matter of just changing the name and SyFy management are suddenly okay with the same ratings.

mth
February 5th, 2010, 3:13 PM
They really need to promote it on RAW/SD more. I also think they should have stars from RAW/SD make guest appearances fairly regularly that would be promoted in advance, as well. Half the time ECW had a RAW/SD star show up, there was no mention of it beforehand, and even though Kane and Punk aren't the biggest stars in WWE, I'm sure there's a good handful of their fans that would tune in to see them that wouldn't otherwise.

Newf
February 5th, 2010, 3:21 PM
and even though Kane and Punk aren't the biggest stars in WWE, You shut your mouth!

Tom B. Stone
February 5th, 2010, 3:21 PM
An NXT Rebound during Raw makes a LOT more sense than a Raw Rebound during NXT.

The_Mike
February 5th, 2010, 3:22 PM
I think we're all getting the wrong end of the stick here. This NXT business is more likely to be an hour of Goldberg squashes every week.

Seriously now, I really like Tom and mth's suggestions (have you tried saying "mth's" out loud?). Perhaps the GM role could be filled in by a more low-key version of RAW's guest host of the week, with the scope limited to WWE personalities who could be symbolically passing the torch (and their wisdom) to the next generation each week.

Tom B. Stone
February 5th, 2010, 3:29 PM
At first thought, it doesn't seem to fit the "theme" of the show, but I love The_Mike's idea to put the veterans as authrity figures passing on their wisdom.

Hey, Arn Anderson is on the WWE payroll and could always do a great promo.

evilyn
February 5th, 2010, 3:32 PM
The show needs a new GM. I'm sorry but Tiffany is far from professional and just doesn't exactly fit. They need someone who's a veteran but is still well known and liked by the audience. Also, they must still be able to deliver in the ring. Regal is a good choice but he's a heel right now and I think a face GM would be better given the theme of the show. Goldust would be good here, added bonus is that he kinda fits what syfy is looking for.

mth
February 5th, 2010, 3:32 PM
You shut your mouth!
But if it's closed, how will you put your...er, um...:shifty:

An NXT Rebound during Raw makes a LOT more sense than a Raw Rebound during NXT.
Totally.

With what The_Mike is saying, you could easily have heels from RAW/SD show up saying they want to teach these snot-nosed up-and-coming nobodies what a real superstar is, etc. Face wrestlers could come down with the wisdom/teaching approach.

Hero!
February 5th, 2010, 3:34 PM
The show needs a new GM. I'm sorry but Tiffany is far from professional and just doesn't exactly fit. They need someone who's a veteran but is still well known and liked by the audience. Also, they must still be able to deliver in the ring. Regal is a good choice but he's a heel right now and I think a face GM would be better given the theme of the show. Goldust would be good here, added bonus is that he kinda fits what syfy is looking for.

I'd love to see Regal hit her with the knee trembler to "retire" her.

mth
February 5th, 2010, 3:37 PM
I missed that post...Goldust as GM would be all kinds of awesome. Just imagine his office...gold desk, gold director's chair, gold drapes, he's chillin' in his robe/wig...

evilyn
February 5th, 2010, 3:39 PM
Here's an idea. Have Regal take Tiffany out and then take over the show and pretty much do whatever the hell he wants. Have the faces rally together and fight him and the heels for control of the show. Have the faces elect Goldust as their leader and then have a big blowout match at WM with the leader of the winning team becoming permanent GM.

Hero!
February 5th, 2010, 3:40 PM
I missed that post...Goldust as GM would be all kinds of awesome. Just imagine his office...gold desk, gold director's chair, gold drapes, he's chillin' in his robe/wig...

With Yoshi Tatsu as his own Tajiri.

mth
February 5th, 2010, 3:42 PM
Here's an idea. Have Regal take Tiffany out and then take over the show and pretty much do whatever the hell he wants. Have the faces rally together and fight him and the heels for control of the show. Have the faces elect Goldust as their leader and then have a big blowout match at WM with the leader of the winning team becoming permanent GM.
That's pretty much exactly what I fantasy booked for ECW a couple months ago (minus the Goldust as leader part, which I certainly wouldn't complain about). It almost happened, too, when she got injured in the car accident and Regal was GM for a night...

With Yoshi Tatsu as his own Tajiri.
Exactly. They'd still wrestle, too, of course.

Tom B. Stone
February 5th, 2010, 3:46 PM
I'd like to also suggest someone like Dean Malenko, but he's not as good on promos as Double A.

evilyn
February 5th, 2010, 3:48 PM
That's pretty much exactly what I fantasy booked for ECW a couple months ago (minus the Goldust as leader part, which I certainly wouldn't complain about). It almost happened, too, when she got injured in the car accident and Regal was GM for a night...

I remember that, it's a great idea and it works perfectly here. The thing is they never said anyone attacked her, she just had a random car accident. Of course there's the whole man on woman violence thing. I've got no problem with it but some might. Have Katie come back to EC...NXT and take her out as sort of a hired gun deal.

chotliwala
February 5th, 2010, 5:30 PM
Right so now I think you've all got my expectations up. But yeah, assorted contracted veterans as GM's, youngsters wrestling short matches (perhaps even with time limits like Impact used to have but without the judges) and DANIELSON.

Motherboy
February 5th, 2010, 5:45 PM
Hey, Arn Anderson is on the WWE payroll and could always do a great promo.

:yes:

I would watch NXT every week if Double A was running the show.

This would be great, too. It gives everyone a reason to distrust each other, so alliances between wrestlers would mean a lot more.

PurePlayer
February 5th, 2010, 6:45 PM
Like that idea. Doubt they'll use it and if they did people would scream that they are ripping off Evolve.

Get Danielson and Ki on this show, have Regal be the authority figure so that they still have someone to learn from.

I don't know what the hell Evolve is, and I think most people don't know what it is either so there wouldn't be that rip-off feeling. I could be wrong though.

mth
February 5th, 2010, 6:50 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone in the general public knows what Evolve is. The only people that would be screaming about it would be a handful of nerds.

Cewsh
February 5th, 2010, 7:02 PM
Not even a handful.

Just Gabe.

Bill Casey
February 5th, 2010, 7:38 PM
Could we get a board of directors for NXT?
Like Rhodes, Steamboat, Piper, Dibiase, Malenko and Anderson?

They could be used to make announcements, talk to talent in backstage segments, and things of that nature...

Chris Scott
February 5th, 2010, 8:27 PM

BOOM BOOM BOOM

Perfect.

mth
February 5th, 2010, 8:28 PM
Another thought I had, and this is something I suggested whenever ECW had New Talent Initiatives, would be to have a their few new stars on, and then after the show, have a poll on WWE.com where the fans can vote on which star(s) they'd like to see more and other polls that relate to the new talent. They could vote on which match was their favorite each week, too. Make it interactive, they could really play this up more, try to get the fans involved so they feel like they are a part of the show.

Chris Scott
February 5th, 2010, 8:30 PM
Again good idea.

ChocolateThunder
February 5th, 2010, 9:13 PM
I'd like to see them throw a bonus NXT match on WWE.com - something similar to TNA, but its basically a glorified dark match. Just another way to give the talent who don't appear on the show that week something that the gen. public can watch. They're always gloating about their hit numbers.

PurePlayer
February 5th, 2010, 9:16 PM
We all know that these are all good ideas, but the WWE won't do anything of the sort.

Motherboy
February 5th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I didn't think the idea of dressing all the wrestlers as babies was very good.

TapOut
February 6th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Good news.

I'm glad to hear ECW is ending. It's just pointless to keep the name. It was worth a shot, but regardless of what they hoped for or intended, calling it ECW was bound to draw comparisons that were unnecessary. Giving it a new name, look and direction will help it stand out as something unto itself and I think it's a decent name.

chotliwala
February 6th, 2010, 12:32 AM
I'd like to see them throw a bonus NXT match on WWE.com - something similar to TNA, but its basically a glorified dark match. Just another way to give the talent who don't appear on the show that week something that the gen. public can watch. They're always gloating about their hit numbers.

They have links to watch full episodes of SD, ECW and Superstars from the website. If that is going to generate hits, than a bonus match wouldn't.

ChocolateThunder
February 6th, 2010, 1:28 AM
Okay....

Here is another thing I'd like to see, but the WWE probably wouldn't go in this direction.

Since it's based on the "next generation" of wrestling I'd like to see more of a high flying, quick, risk taking, extremely athletic feel to the brand. TNA has the X-Division as a part of its show, well WWE has the NXT as a whole show.

Anaconda Sniper
February 6th, 2010, 1:29 AM
Thats why in the draft thread..I want Bourne and Ziggler moved there. That would be a fun show.

Deewun
February 6th, 2010, 4:33 AM
It came up in my Wrestlemania prediction re-hash, but I figured I'd ask here: do you folks think that any of the ECW feuds/angles will continue? Also, who do you think will be crowned the NXT Champion?

Personally, if nothing else gets continued, I am loving Zack Ryder and Hurricane arguing over who is the hero of ECW. I want to see them continue their feud, though of course with a new tint once NXT happens. I would personally have a Battle Royale on the first NXT, which introduces the new talent, as well as new angles and gimmicks for old talent, and crowns the NXT Champion (I love how easy it is to write that and how much fun it is to say!). I would give the title to Ryder at this point, and continue his and the Hurricanes feud, though Ryder would get a slightly different gimmick to match what SyFy is wanting (think Lex Luthor instead of crazy "bro").

The Guy on the Couch
February 6th, 2010, 5:10 AM
I would like to see the same roster and same idea (getting young guys a chance to show off). But I would like the difference to be an entirely new format. For example. Make the title a TV title with a rule that it needs to be defended every week. I would say make the matches have a ten minute time limit so that the champ doesn't have to win they just have to last ten minutes to keep their title. Then the challengers would have to work hard and fast to beat the champ. I'd also like to see a ranking system where if you wanted to get a championship match you had to be the top rated wrestler. It could go by win/loss record or if it is a tie time of matches would come in. So you have to beat your opponent as fast as possible to get ahead on the brand. If the champion cannot defend the belt the two highest rated guys would fight for it and the champion would have to start over. also if the champ lost he would get one rematch but if he lost he would have to start from scratch. if a number one contender lost they would also go to the bottom of the list.

The roster is fine. but a new format could be fun. and I really like the idea of time limits and time effecting rank. It is only an hour long show and some fast paced action could get the fans interested.

Eugene
February 6th, 2010, 6:37 AM
I think its a great idea to have a show with only new tallent featured I think WWE should of went this idea a looooong time ago.

Well I give my hats off to Vince for making the ECW last longer than the XFL.

So what now is going to happen??? We are going to have a ECW champ running around?? What's going to happen to the belt???

Tom B. Stone
February 6th, 2010, 7:20 AM
Since it's based on the "next generation" of wrestling I'd like to see more of a high flying, quick, risk taking, extremely athletic feel to the brand. TNA has the X-Division as a part of its show, well WWE has the NXT as a whole show.

That's kinda, sorta what I meant but you've phrased it better.

EDIT: Bryan Alvarez at F4W/WO reports that the word is WWE may not know what to do with the ECW Title yet. It's likely Christian will end up on SmackDown.

Badger
February 6th, 2010, 9:43 AM
If ECW is now NXT, will Superstars become PRIMRK?

Mik
February 6th, 2010, 9:58 AM
There's some really great ideas in here. Its a shame that they will most likely just continue ECW as it was under a new name. It'd be nice to get on board at the start with a kind of 'underground' less popular wrestling federation loaded with young guns (I'd like to support The Hart Dynasty as a dominant tag team, rather than relative small fish in a big pond as they are at the moment) and speculate about how they'd fit into one of the bigger brands.

EdgeHead469
February 6th, 2010, 11:47 AM
My WWE:NXT Roster:

Matt Hardy
Rey Mysterio
Dolph Ziggler
Jack Swagger
Vance Archer
Primo Colon
Evan Bourne
Slam Master J - New Gimmick
Yoshi Tatsu
Abe Washington
Tyler Reks
Greg Helms
Trent Barreta
Caylen Croft
Zeke Jackson

Eugene
February 6th, 2010, 3:42 PM
Okay....

Here is another thing I'd like to see, but the WWE probably wouldn't go in this direction.

Since it's based on the "next generation" of wrestling I'd like to see more of a high flying, quick, risk taking, extremely athletic feel to the brand. TNA has the X-Division as a part of its show, well WWE has the NXT as a whole show.No no no you have it all wrong.....

Vince's new tallent is going to be told to slow it down and take rest holds for a long time.

Sparky
February 6th, 2010, 3:46 PM
If ECW is now NXT, will Superstars become PRIMRK?

I don't get it.

Deewun
February 6th, 2010, 3:47 PM
I'm glad you said it, because I'm lost, too. I thought it was just a "I've been gone from wrestling too long" thing, so I didn't bring it up. Whew.

Tom B. Stone
February 6th, 2010, 3:50 PM
I didn't think many non-UKers would get that.

There is a clothing/shoes/household/furniture store in the UK called Next. There's also one called Primark.

V-Line
February 6th, 2010, 7:45 PM
Guys who I'd like to see comprise the NXT roster....

Swagger
Bourne
Ryder
Ziggler
Primo
Tatsu
Baretta
Croft

Throw in some developmental talent like Kaval, Daneilson, Henning, DiBiase, Curt Hawkins, Johnny Curtis, Mr Tarver and Justin Angel.

Have a few vets like Finlay, Helms and maybe Matt Hardy.

ChocolateThunder
February 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Here is what I would do with the ECW Title.

The Elimination Chamber pay-per-view is the last time we ever see an ECW Championship match. It is retired with whoever (Christian) wins the ECW Title match.

The following night, the first of NXT, Vince McMahon comes out with Christian. They retire the ECW Championship (this is where Vince mentions the long history of the title holders including Tommy Dreamer, RVD, Rhino, etc, etc.). However, what they are going to do is to have a brand spankin' new championship called the NXT Title. Over the weeks leading to Wrestlemania XXVI there will be a tournament deciding who will face off for the right to be called the inaugural NXT Champion.

However, as a bonus caviar to Christian since he retired the ECW title he will automatically be granted a birth in the match at Wrestlemania (essentially he's still viewed as champion but without a belt).

Bryan Danielson debuts and wins the tournament and therefore faces Christian at Wrestlemania XXVI for the NXT Championship. Danielson defeats Christian.

The following night at the 2010 WWE Draft before any draftees are announced Christian and somebody else (Regal?) are traded to Smackdown for Dolph Ziggler and Kane. (More on that part in another thread). In RAW and NXT's trade Jack Swagger and Evan Bourne are traded to NXT for Shelton Benjamin and Vladimir Kozlov.

Deewun
February 7th, 2010, 4:08 AM
Lots of folks are talking about new format and such, both here and in the other NXT thread. This isn't the place for that specifically, as I just was hoping for lots of zany gimmicks wrestlers could get into with the SyFy theme, but I will go ahead and adress my thoughts on it, since The Guy brought it up.

- TV Title: Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. Every show needs a distinct title, and I think having a TV title on NXT is the perfect way to do it. I don't know about time limits and all that what-not, as it is already a 1-hour long show, so there's no need for that specific addition, but I love the idea of a title that is only defended on NXT and only on TV. It helps make the show feel a little more special, and helps with its own gimmicky-ness. Plus, WWE now owns the rights to the old WCW one. Just bring it out of the vault.
- NXT Tag Titles: There needs to be a specific NXT brand Tag Titles. WWE has fallen very short on their Tag division, so putting a Tag Title onto NXT as well as the Unified Tag Titles leads to that building up of new talent they want. Plus, Berreta and Croft need some shiny around their waists.
- Other belts: While another belt would be good, I certainly don't think they'll do that. Since this show is more than likely going to be more gimmicky than the two main shows, another belt isn't necessary. If they DO bring a new one, I would have it be either a Women's or a Hardcore belt. But that's just me.
- Time limits/point systems/etc. - Come on guys, this is never going to happen. While it is kind of interesting, in the long run, that isn't something SyFy is wanting to see. They want to see a show that caters to their audience, while the WWE is looking for a show to train up the young guys. They aren't going to change the basic format of the WWE show, just the themed packaging. Either way, I am stoutly against this idea.
- Time slot: I really would love for this to go to two-hours. I don't think it'll happen, at least not right away, but if this new version catches on, I think SyFy will ask for it, and WWE will more than likely reply. Then it can get a slightly bigger roster, and turn into OVW 2.0, where guys can really test out their gimmicks and their moves.

Note: this is a cross-post, just for the record.

Sparky
February 7th, 2010, 7:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVyPD6tTcm0

This is supposedly the theme for NXT. "Wild and Young" by American Bang. Not sure if I like it. :dunno:

McBain
February 7th, 2010, 7:44 AM
Terrible.

It's like some cheesy soap/reality show for teens...

Oh shit.

Badger
February 7th, 2010, 8:52 AM
If that is the theme, then it will be the worse wrestling theme I've ever heard.

McBain
February 7th, 2010, 8:55 AM
It reminds me of when Star Trek: Enterprise bizarrely opted for a Bryan Adams type song for its theme, completely going against years of established formula.

Sounded gaaaay.

Badger
February 7th, 2010, 8:59 AM
It's like in WCW when they gave Booker T cartoon music, except nowhere near as hilarious.

Tom B. Stone
February 7th, 2010, 9:26 AM
Sounds pretty crap, really.

Guy
February 7th, 2010, 9:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVyPD6tTcm0

This is supposedly the theme for NXT. "Wild and Young" by American Bang. Not sure if I like it. :dunno:

The Wild And The Young - Quiet Riot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUWbTny4xp4

Youth Gone Wild - Skid Row
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldXNVbKTsOo

Neither of them would probably have fit a wrestling show, but they're both awesome....

Morrison
February 7th, 2010, 9:53 AM
Terrible.

It's like some cheesy soap/reality show for teens...

Oh shit.

If that is the theme, then it will be the worse wrestling theme I've ever heard.

sounds like most of the shitty music the WWE has chosen for it's weekly tv themes over the years.

Tom B. Stone
February 7th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I don't know much about Skid Row and have only just heard of Quiet Riot - but both those songs that Blood picked are pretty good. A lot better than what we'll probably get from WWE.

Badger
February 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM
sounds like most of the shitty music the WWE has chosen for it's weekly tv themes over the years.

This one is gerrible (gay and terrible), the other themes were just terrible. Smackdown's is pretty good now, and I don't mind the current Raw one.

Ochoa
February 7th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Youth Gone Wild - Skid Row
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldXNVbKTsOo

Neither of them would probably have fit a wrestling show, but they're both awesome....

I absolutely love Skid Row and this is going back to the late 80's when my brother loved them. Youth Gone Wild is absolutely perfect I think. How about Slave to the Grind?:p

Mik
February 7th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Meh, its just music I guess.

Deewun
February 7th, 2010, 1:44 PM
"Wild and Young" is passable. I can see why they chose it, and I can envision the pyros in my head with the song (especially towards the end where they amp up the chorus). But really, I bet the only real reason they chose this song was because it was a good financial deal.

PurePlayer
February 7th, 2010, 2:07 PM
RAW's current Nickelback theme is pretty good I think. Not a fan of the current ECW and Smackdown ones though.

EdgeHead469
February 7th, 2010, 2:09 PM
It's just a theme. I really don't care much less either way.

I am sure that once they insert the images of the superstars who will be on the show, they will then go back and edit the video. If they feel the need for a different theme, it will happen.

I am pumped for this NXT brand.
Should be immense.

mth
February 7th, 2010, 2:26 PM
Right now I still think ECW's got the best theme of all of WWE's shows. I hated SmackDown's for awhile, but it's growing on me. As much as I loathe Nickelback, RAW's has a good sound to it musically for a pump-up-the-crowd feel.

That NXT track, though, barf. Not really the type of song I'd pick for the new/fresh/young/cutting-edge show or whatever.

Pipkin
February 7th, 2010, 3:35 PM
The ECW theme is easily the best of the bunch right now. Superstars' is good, and I never got the hate for SD!'s current theme, I like it. Of the four current show songs, the only one I don't care for is RAW's. It doesn't get me pumped up for RAW at all. It's nowhere near as bad as this NXT song though...I agree with what everybody else has said about that.

It sounds like the theme to something like One Tree Hill or some different shows of that genre that I've never heard of. Just horrible. If they're going to have this music they might as well move it to the CW and just make the whole show about the romance between Zack and Rosa, and their gay friends Croft and Baretta.

Matthew
February 7th, 2010, 4:04 PM
croft and baretta rule. i will not stand for any shit talking of them.

Deewun
February 7th, 2010, 4:46 PM
I certainly think they could rule. Train them up, get them some interesting promo material, and they could revitalize the tag division.

Pipkin
February 7th, 2010, 5:22 PM
croft and baretta rule. i will not stand for any shit talking of them.
I wasn't talking shit about them...I was talking shit about that genre of TV.

But I also don't see anything special about Croft and Baretta though. Their old music was pretty cool, but I always find myself bored while watching them.

To be fair though, that is probably less due to them and more due to my disinterest in wrestling right now. I'm bored by most things in WWE. Keeping score for the Fantasy WWE game is the only thing keeping me watching any show other than SD! right now.

Hero!
February 7th, 2010, 5:26 PM
To be fair though, that is probably less due to them and more due to my disinterest in wrestling right now. I'm bored by most things in WWE. Keeping score for the Fantasy WWE game is the only thing keeping me watching any show other than SD! right now.

Very similar situation on my end. It's not that the programming is bad or anything, I just don't have much of an interest in it anymore. If it weren't for our massive MSN chats i'd probably not watch wrestling anymore.

ChocolateThunder
February 7th, 2010, 8:35 PM
When I first knew Nickelback's song was going to be the new RAW theme I was steadfast against that as the new theme. However, it really has grown on me and I like it as the theme. I do like Smackdown's and the current ECW one.

Point is, I think it'll grow on people until they just 'accept' it and listen to it or tune it out.

Sparky
February 7th, 2010, 8:45 PM
I think this would be a much better choice for NXT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_HHm9ki3JI

Cubed-Sphere
February 8th, 2010, 7:25 AM
When I first knew Nickelback's song was going to be the new RAW theme I was steadfast against that as the new theme. However, it really has grown on me and I like it as the theme. I do like Smackdown's and the current ECW one.

Point is, I think it'll grow on people until they just 'accept' it and listen to it or tune it out.

Yeah, like you and PurePlayer said, I despise Nickelback, but the song chosen for the RAW theme may be their best song, period... meaning it's average rock and fitting enough for a wrestling show. Nice theme.

OD50
February 8th, 2010, 8:05 AM
That NXT theme would fit one of those horridly fake MTV 'reality' shows; Next, Made, My Super 16 and whatever they are called.

McBain
February 8th, 2010, 8:05 AM
Yeah totally.

VanillaJello
February 8th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I think this would be a much better choice for NXT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_HHm9ki3JI

That'd be a great song... but I'm sure the rights to it would be pretty expensive. I thought they were one of the hot bands lately.

Tom B. Stone
February 8th, 2010, 2:34 PM
Florida Championship Wrestling put out a release today about their big show this Friday, with Bryan Danielson headlining and Edge making an appearance. They also strongly hinted that more of the FCW guys will move to become the focus of NXT.

mth
February 8th, 2010, 2:44 PM
From the main page:

source: PWInsider.com

Fans have been wondering what exactly WWE NXT will be since Vince McMahon announced that ECW would end its run on Syfy and be replaced by the "next evolution" of WWE.

The word going around is that the NXT concept will be portrayed as a "reality" based series featuring new wrestlers who viewers will be able to follow inside and outside of the ring. Fans will be able to follow wrestlers from day one and get their personal insight, their background and goals, creating a different sense of deeper insight, etc.

As it stands now, the concept appears similar to WWE's former Tough Enough series with talent not only feuding with each other, but for the opportunity to become the "next" big WWE Superstar and move onto Raw or SmackDown

WWE has been pitching different concepts for the series and formalizing plans since the fall, but all signs to point to this concept being the nucleus of NXT.
Sounds interesting.

Tom B. Stone
February 8th, 2010, 2:46 PM
I like that idea. From early on, we'll actually find out who these people are, why they're in WWE, what they want to accomplish, what makes them stand out above everyone else. In other words, it'll be something that is often lacking in new talent brought up from developmental and jobbed out within weeks because "they're not over" (which is the fault of creative): character development.

McBain
February 8th, 2010, 2:49 PM
Could be good. It may well prove popular as well.

Someone posed something similar the other day.

Punker
February 8th, 2010, 2:53 PM
I just hope most of the current ECW roster moves up then. Just give it a clean slate with Regal, Matt Hardy, and Finlay on the NXT brand to help out. But Yoshi, Zeke, Ryder, AW, Koz, Croft Barreta, Archer, Christian, Benjamin, ect. should all be moved to SD or RAW. But the focus should be these FCW guys moving up... maybe Croft and Barreta could stick around. But I think they are over enough to go to Smackers.

Jordo
February 8th, 2010, 3:01 PM
The only problem I see with that is the hour timeslot. I just don't think they'll have the time to feature wrestlers, and have matches. I want to hope it will work but I don't see WWE pulling it off, hope I eat crow.

If nothing else this new concept has me very interested, I haven't watched ECW in ages but I will tune in for NXT when it starts...

When is that by the way?

Zarius
February 8th, 2010, 3:06 PM
I like that idea. From early on, we'll actually find out who these people are, why they're in WWE, what they want to accomplish, what makes them stand out above everyone else. In other words, it'll be something that is often lacking in new talent brought up from developmental and jobbed out within weeks because "they're not over" (which is the fault of creative): character development.

Then when they get the call to the big leauge, they either have an attrocious match on live television, or get buried by the jobbers.;)

ChocolateThunder
February 8th, 2010, 3:18 PM
The only problem I see with that is the hour timeslot. I just don't think they'll have the time to feature wrestlers, and have matches. I want to hope it will work but I don't see WWE pulling it off, hope I eat crow.

If nothing else this new concept has me very interested, I haven't watched ECW in ages but I will tune in for NXT when it starts...

When is that by the way?

Three weeks, supposively.

Deewun
February 8th, 2010, 3:59 PM
From the main page:

I really fucking hope not. This sounds like garbage. Ugh. The only good thing about it would be that it would be one less show I would have to watch.

Motherboy
February 8th, 2010, 4:14 PM
This sounds like "The Ultimate Fighter", where it's part matches, part "Tough Enough"-type deal.

UncannyIowan
February 8th, 2010, 4:35 PM
Man I really hope this isn't the case. Not that I'm against the idea... I honestly would rather see this on WWE.com. We'll have to wait and see for sure what's going before I decide whether Tuesday's become a 100% new movie rental night or not.

EdgeHead469
February 8th, 2010, 4:56 PM
I'm very excited for this.

Wonder if current stars will be on the show, like Ziggler, Ryder, Tatsu, etc., or will they just bring all new guys in?

Tom B. Stone
February 8th, 2010, 5:08 PM
A decision still hasn't been made about the ECW Title. There are some within the company who want it kept around as an attraction for undercards of secondary PPVs, but Vince McMahon hasn't made his mind up yet.

Source: PWinsider.com.

UncannyIowan
February 8th, 2010, 5:12 PM

Eh, blaming it on creative is only one possibility. Some talent just sucks, maybe their look isn't right, maybe the crowd just in general doesn't like their gimmick. That's the thing, will this show be kayfabe, because you could have a guy who in FCW is playing a millionaire, and then brought up to the main roster and his gimmick is he's a serial killer turned pro wrestler....So where is the investment? Now, if they break kayfabe and do like Tough Enough....they better have a kick ass personality because it limits the WWE in what they can do with them. If you have Jim Smith, who is just your average guy, then they show him wrestle and he's under a mask trying to sell a satanist gimmick or something crazy.

I don't know, I'm trying to look @ it from both sides but I'm more worried about the wrestling aspect of the show. You talk about character development, well you don't really need to follow a young wrestler from FCW to the big leagues if Vince is going to change what we know about them. That's why it's not like TUF, because Dana didn't change Forrest Griffin's name to Mr. Fantastic and change his look. Very interesting for sure.

Tom B. Stone
February 8th, 2010, 5:19 PM
Fair enough It's not ALWAYS creative's fault. But there have been dozens of examples through the years where they've just given up on someone new far too quickly.

My assumption - and that's all it is- would be that we'll see them develop the character they'll use in WWE rather than explain the characters they currently use in FCW (that is, if the two will not be the same).

Bagel
February 8th, 2010, 5:51 PM
I'm interested to see what they can do with this. It seems too short on time to throw it together, spend the last show or two with those they intend to push on NXT attack those currently on ECW as a way to build it up to know what to expect. Curiosity in a product can only maintain its ratings for some time before people turn away from it.

Hyping the show and being done with ECW are two completely different ideas, how they go about handling both will keep me minimally interested until I see where it's going.

VanillaJello
February 8th, 2010, 6:27 PM
I think it could be interesting... I really want to see what type of gimmicks the show produces.

Black Pain would have been perfect for Sy Fy.

ChocolateThunder
February 9th, 2010, 2:32 AM
What I was thinking earlier while watching Superstars was this...

While I do love the fact that there is a separate show that all brands can be a part of... If Florida is right and NXT is going to be somewhat of a brand in the form of Tough Enough then what I'd like to see them do is to make Superstars a combination of a joint-brand initiative (as it is now) and it's own show.

I would dearly love to see Superstars have it's own TV title where it is defended each week against anybody on the WWE roster (regardless of brand) so that you get new matches every week. One week you could have say for instance John Morrison, from the Smackdown roster, defend the title against Evan Bourne from RAW.

Perhaps make a semi-conscious effort to give Superstars a sure-fire roster full of the young midcarders who are also part of a major brand roster (part of both brands). Of course, you can throw your audience a bone every once in a while by giving them a Jericho / CM Punk Vs (other upper mid card / main eventer) match but it'd be nice to give them a regular roster. It seems to be happening (Primo, Evan Bourne, Carlito, etc.) anyway but it'd be nice to be able to go in that direction... IF NXT is in fact going in the new brand Tough Enough style.

blackening
February 9th, 2010, 5:14 AM
As long as Bryan Danielson is one of the featured wrestlers, I'm all for it.

Ringo
February 9th, 2010, 5:40 AM
I'm a bit annoyed that the likes of Barretta & Croft, Yoshi Tatsu, Archer, Ryder etc. now have to make a way for themselves on Raw or Smackdown. Why don't they keep the bulk of the young guys on "NXT"? Silly.

Anyway, would expect Danielson, Kaval, possibly Justin Angel, Tarver, Barrett & Slater who have all been down there for ages, Banderas/Dos Caras, SuperNova, one or two of the 2nd/3rd Gen Tag Teams (Rotundos, Fortunate Sons, Usos), MAYBE Ritchie Steamboat and perhaps Ray Leppan to make their debuts in a few weeks.

Oh shit, Raw spoilers.

BBF
February 9th, 2010, 5:41 AM
THIS POST CONTAINS RAW SPOILERS.

So, it was announced yesterday by Christian on Raw that all ECW wrestlers become free agents and can sign a contract with Raw or Smackdown, whichever they want.

This can only mean that NXT is either going to be a recap show or a show filled with new wrestlers looking for a spot in the big leagues.

Hopefully this means people like Yoshi, Ryder, Zeke and Shelton don't just get lost in the shuffle on either Raw or Smackers.

I'm guessing this also means that there will be a lot of people being future endeavoured after Mania

Tom B. Stone
February 9th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Surely they could sign with NXT? Can't think of a particular reason they'd WANT to, but no one said they couldn't I don't think.

EdgeHead469
February 9th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Barretta and Croft, along with Archer should stay on NXT. If they have to cut some promo where they say they feel they can dominate the show, etc., then I am all for it. They are not ready for Raw or Smackdown yet.

Archer could be a top guy on the NXT brand right away, possibly feuding with Bryan Danielson. That would be cool.

takerson
February 9th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Danielson for NXT Main Eventer. :yes:

Tom B. Stone
February 9th, 2010, 3:57 PM
It looks like NXT is going to be a "reality" based show where the talent is competing to get to SmackDown and Raw. But it will still feature veterans from the other shows.

There will be regular appearances from WWE stars to either mentor or hinder the progress of the new talents. They'll obviously also help to draw attention/ratings for NXT.

Source: Mike Johnson, PWInsider.com.

VanillaJello
February 9th, 2010, 4:03 PM
Is the show going to be taped before Smackdown? Or is it going to be a contest type show that features little to no wrestling... like the original Tough Enough.

mth
February 9th, 2010, 6:27 PM
Glad to hear there will still be veterans on the roster and that established guys will be making appearances. I am really getting stoked about this, it sounds like it has a lot of potential to be very interesting/different/enjoyable.

ChocolateThunder
February 9th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Or it could flat out suck and be the worst thing the WWE has ever done to its young roster.

I'm hopeful like you, mth, but I'm also treading carefully before I go out on a limb.

Motherboy
February 9th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Is the show going to be taped before Smackdown? Or is it going to be a contest type show that features little to no wrestling... like the original Tough Enough.

It seems like it'll almost certainly still be taped before SD. This is more a rebranding than an actual top-to-bottom overhaul.

mth
February 9th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Or it could flat out suck and be the worst thing the WWE has ever done to its young roster.

I'm hopeful like you, mth, but I'm also treading carefully before I go out on a limb.

Oh, i am well aware of the other side of the coin. I'm doing my best to be optimistic, but this could just as easily be very, very terrible.

Version 6
February 10th, 2010, 2:06 AM
If it's similar to Ultimate Fighter, than I'm excited for it.

It will be interesting to see if the "reality" based portions of the series are kayfabed or not.

Sparky
February 10th, 2010, 3:54 AM
I have a feeling its going to be layed out like Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Wrestling.

Sly
February 10th, 2010, 3:55 AM
If the NXT brand is going to be a reality based program about up and comers featuring cameos from veterans, I hope we see segments like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_orIRn8Ukg

Mik
February 12th, 2010, 9:41 AM
This sounds like "The Ultimate Fighter", where it's part matches, part "Tough Enough"-type deal.

If it's similar to Ultimate Fighter, than I'm excited for it.

It will be interesting to see if the "reality" based portions of the series are kayfabed or not.

You two both perfectly sum up my feelings and ideas on the show.

JRSlim21
February 16th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Didn't see this thread when I posted the unofficial roster that's been leaked. I will say this. I hope Archer, Baretta and Croft are added to the mix and not used on RAW/Smackdown just yet

Ochoa
February 16th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I know of at least 7 people that are going to which brands, but the source is f4wonline.com and I don't have an account there. I heard from 2 places that f4w is the source.

Fanny Batter
February 16th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Danielson and Low Ki? SOLD.

Ochoa
February 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM
According to Rajah.com, by way of f4wonline.com, here are who's moving so far.

to RAW:

William Regal
Ezekiel Jackson
Zack Ryder
Rosa Mendes

to SmackDown:

Christian
Caylen Croft
Trent Barretta

EdgeHead469
February 16th, 2010, 1:40 PM
Regal should be one of the Vets assisting one of the new guys.

Speaking of that, and based off of the article on the front-page of Rajah, who do you all think will be the Vets they select to coach the eight young guys?

I am going to say:

1. Goldust
2. Kane
3. Carlito
4. Matt Hardy
5. William Regal
6. Greg Helms
7. ???
8. ???

Deewun
February 16th, 2010, 1:47 PM
Spoiler-tagging just in case:
If we are to take the news on the front page (as well as basically everywhere on news sites) seriously, then this is going to be ... interesting, I suppose. I'm interested in seeing a few of these FCW guys, especially after doing some back-up watching of Low Ki/Kaval, Brian Danielson/Daniel Bryans, and Justin Angel. I am interested to see the pairings, and hopefully it will not be wash ups like Chavo (though after seeing the dark match, I have a suspicion that Chavo is paired with Daniels). I'm going to give this show a chance because I care about 1/3 of the talent, but I'm very much afraid that this is going to be a step backwards for these guys instead of a step forward like they are expecting. Time will tell.

EdgeHead469
February 16th, 2010, 1:55 PM
Fucking hell. They announced the roster on the main page:

http://rajah.com/base/node/18540

Wow. This could be some excellent stuff.

EdgeHead469
February 16th, 2010, 1:58 PM
Spoiler-tagging just in case:
If we are to take the news on the front page (as well as basically everywhere on news sites) seriously, then this is going to be ... interesting, I suppose. I'm interested in seeing a few of these FCW guys, especially after doing some back-up watching of Low Ki/Kaval, Brian Danielson/Daniel Bryans, and Justin Angel. I am interested to see the pairings, and hopefully it will not be wash ups like Chavo (though after seeing the dark match, I have a suspicion that Chavo is paired with Daniels). I'm going to give this show a chance because I care about 1/3 of the talent, but I'm very much afraid that this is going to be a step backwards for these guys instead of a step forward like they are expecting. Time will tell.

I see at least two, maybe even three guys coming out of this show in a lot better shape - career wise - then they were prior to the show. I am excited and I think if handled right, it could elevate careers.

Look what E.C.W did in introducing C.M. Punk to fans who don't follow the Indy scene. John Morrison was born on E.C.W as was The Miz. Yoshi and Ryder would be nothing if not for E.C.W.

I think this could, and will work. I like to be optimistic.

Deewun
February 16th, 2010, 2:04 PM
ECW was an actual wrestling show, though, with a belt, and traditional matchs and setups. This is not that. It is a separate entity with "behind the scenes" stuff, like Tough Enough. How many folks from Tough Enough are still around? How many amounted to anything of any worth? That's why I'm a bit afraid.

Ochoa
February 16th, 2010, 2:05 PM
At least 3.

EdgeHead469
February 16th, 2010, 2:09 PM
ECW was an actual wrestling show, though, with a belt, and traditional matchs and setups. This is not that. It is a separate entity with "behind the scenes" stuff, like Tough Enough. How many folks from Tough Enough are still around? How many amounted to anything of any worth? That's why I'm a bit afraid.

The "behind the scenes" stuff could be cool though. Could improve promo delivery and interaction, not just wrestling, which we see a lot on Tuesday nights. It is obvious this will ALL be scripted. They will push who they want to push and give more time backstage to those they want to receive it.

I think its overall purpose will be served. Help fans become aware of these young guys who will eventually be on the main roster. When they come out of nowhere and attack a man on Raw, see Brett DiBiase, they receive no reaction. However, if people have watched them on TV for three months and then see them on Raw, they will already be aware of who they are and their background.

It will work.

Deewun
February 16th, 2010, 2:12 PM
^
Fair enough. No need for me to throw the baby out with the bathwater. I am interested, just fearful. In a week we'll see.

Tom B. Stone
February 16th, 2010, 3:14 PM
I really like the idea of introducing these guys on the "low key" show. As said above, it gives the audience a chance to find out who they are, why they're working for WWE, what sets them apart from everyone else. But there's no pressure of live TV or expectations that they've to take a slot on a PPV when they're not ready.

Bill Casey
February 16th, 2010, 3:18 PM
How many folks from Tough Enough are still around?

Miz and Morrison...
Contestants from Tough Enough weren't already WWE employees. These guys are WWE developmental talents that are waiting to be called up. They are equivalent to Sheamus, Yoshi Tatsu and The Hart Dynasty...

It's basically the FCW Roster...

EdgeHead469
February 16th, 2010, 3:22 PM
Which on paper looks pretty good right now.

Bill Casey
February 16th, 2010, 3:32 PM
http://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/justin_angel.jpghttp://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/joe_hennig.jpghttp://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/kaval.jpghttp://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/michael_tarver.jpg
http://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/darren_young.jpghttp://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/brett_dibiase.jpghttp://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/skip_sheffield.jpghttp://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/heath_slater.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1Z0Bpa0_D6c/Rik-q_CoiOI/AAAAAAAAACA/qgVrJojzWaQ/s400/BryanDanielson.jpg

If this is the roster, it's a damn good one...

Tom B. Stone
February 16th, 2010, 3:39 PM
In an article in Variety, Vince McMahon said eight WWE stars will be paired with a rookie each. It was going to be 12, but will be reduced by next week.

EDIT: There's no longer an issue withe the NXT trademark. The training side of the Scottish Wrestling Alliance was also called NXT, but their owner has said WWE worked with them to deal with the potential conflict. The SWA were planning to rename it anyway. Source: Click here (http://www.pwinsider.com/article/45150/update-on-trademark-issues-regarding-wwe-nxt.html?p=1) to see the story and statement from the SWA owner at PWInsider.com.

mr sabu
February 16th, 2010, 3:55 PM
regal and brian

ChocolateThunder
February 16th, 2010, 4:01 PM
Finlay and Danielson
Shelton Benjamin and Michael Tarver
Goldust and Brett DiBiase

VanillaJello
February 16th, 2010, 4:02 PM
In an article in Variety, Vince McMahon said eight WWE stars will be paired with a rookie each. It was going to be 12, but will be reduced by next week.

What does that mean? They'll each work a program with the new wrestler?

They will travel the road with him?

Did Vince give any more info?

Tom B. Stone
February 16th, 2010, 4:06 PM
Nope. Vince's comments were intriguing yet also a bit vague.

mth
February 16th, 2010, 4:14 PM
This is all from the main page regarding NXT, as I didn't see it all posted in here yet:

After all the speculation about what WWE's new NXT show would be like, we finally have some new concrete information - it's got nothing to do with science fiction or conspiracies.

Entertainment industry publication Variety reveals that WWE NXT will be a reality-based show, similar to Tough Enough and UFC's "The Ultimate Fighter," that will feature eight rookie wrestlers from WWE's developmental system (Florida Championship Wrestling) as they work their way towards a spot on the main WWE roster. Each rookie will be paired up with a veteran WWE superstar as their mentor, "with egos often getting in the way, as they learn the ropes of competing in the ring in front of live audiences, creating characters and speaking on camera."

WWE is teasing the series as a window into how the company truly operates.

"These kids crash and burn a lot," said Vince McMahon. "By putting them into this environment we'll find out if they can make it. There's no better way to develop skills than being in front of an audience. And that makes for good television. "

McMahon added, "ECW' feels old, it feels tired. Sometimes our brands need freshening up. You have to continue to reinvent yourself."

The weekly show will be broken into seasons, with two or three seasons airing per year. It will feature a totally new "look and feel" for WWE programming.

"Syfy is excited to continue our partnership with WWE, Vince and his team with this innovative live event-reality show," said Syfy president Dave Howe. "The 'NXT' rookies take the challenge of our new tagline 'Imagine Greater' to heart as they embark on their ultimate dream quest to be the next generation of revered heroes and champions in the fantastic arena of the WWE."

WWE NXT DEBUTS ON SYFY

STAMFORD, Conn., February 16, 2010 – World Wrestling Entertainment and Syfy today announced the next generation of reality television with the debut of WWE NXT, Tuesday, February 23, 2010 at 10:00 PM ET/PT on Syfy.

WWE NXT is a hybrid live event/reality show featuring eight well-known, popular WWE Superstars (“Pros”) mentoring eight WWE “Rookies.” These Rookies, who are learning the ropes, are athletes who epitomize pop culture and personify strong attributes – they are opinionated and aggressive – which means inherent conflict between Rookies and other Rookies, conflict between Rookies and Pros, as well as, conflict between Pros and Pros. The trials and tribulations of the WWE NXT cast ensure action-packed, innovative entertainment – WWE Style.

“Once again, WWE will bring something entirely new to the television landscape as WWE meets reality TV,” said Vince McMahon, Chairman and CEO, World Wrestling Entertainment. “As we introduce this brand new franchise exclusively on Syfy, WWE NXT will have a completely different look and feel from our other WWE television programming.”

“Syfy is excited to continue our partnership with WWE, Vince and his team with this innovative live event/reality show,” said Syfy President Dave Howe. “This is a unique combination of heart-stopping entertainment and gritty behind-the-scenes reality. The NXT Rookies take the challenge of our new tagline ‘Imagine Greater’ to heart as they embark on their ultimate dream quest to be the next generation of revered heroes and champions in the fantastic arena of the WWE.”

Source: PWInsider.com

As reported earlier, the new WWE NXT show will feature wrestlers from Florida Championship Wrestling, who will be paired off with WWE veterans in their quest to make it to the main roster.

Here's a look at the nine wrestlers who are expected to be part of WWE NXT: Season 1, which debuts next Tuesday night on Syfy:

- Justin Angel (FCW Champion)
- Daniel Bryan (formerly Bryan Danielson)
- Kaval (formerly Low Ki)
- Skip Sheffield
- Joe Hennig (son of Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig)
- Brett Dibiase (son of the Million Dollar man, brother of Ted Jr.)
- Darren Young
- Heath Slater
- Michael Tarver

Honestly, as much as I am going to miss ECW, I think NXT sounds quite fascinating and I am really hoping it lives up to the potential it has as something new and unique.

JAYD
February 16th, 2010, 4:18 PM
It has Danielson and Low Ki on WWE television within a week's time, so I'm pumped. Also I've been a hueg critic of how WWE throws out bland vanilla babyfaces on TV to debut them and expect fans to latch onto them...this gives these guys a chance to develop character which is sooooooooooooooo vital.

VanillaJello
February 16th, 2010, 4:24 PM
Well that does sound exciting.

I hope it involves some type of live matches before Smackdown... and not fights in a training school ... ala The Ultimate Figher.

mth
February 16th, 2010, 4:25 PM
There's no better way to develop skills than being in front of an audience.
I think that answers your question...er, well, i guess it wasn't a question, but you know what I mean.

Jordo
February 16th, 2010, 4:40 PM
I'm gonna be interested how they mix reality with kayfabe, how much they decide to use of each.

UncannyIowan
February 16th, 2010, 4:44 PM
It has Danielson and Low Ki on WWE television within a week's time, so I'm pumped. Also I've been a hueg critic of how WWE throws out bland vanilla babyfaces on TV to debut them and expect fans to latch onto them...this gives these guys a chance to develop character which is sooooooooooooooo vital.

But it depends on what character they portray on the main brands that matters doesn't it? I mean yeah you might think Low Ki is a cool dude but what if he's stuck playing a goat herder with one eye and a horrible southern accent? I think Shelton Benjamin is cool outside of the ring because of his love for video games, but on t.v. he's one of the most boring guys in town to the point where his skills aren't enough to really care if he's on or not.

I don't really see how it gives them a chance to develop character in a way that is different than how they've been doing it for years. Definitely an interesting aspect, but the idea that people are having that this gives them an advantage over someone who just debuts on ECW like how Vance Archer or Tatsu did. It all comes down to what they do when they are actually put on Smackdown or Raw, and what gimmick they're going to get because a lot of guys don't wind up doing the same thing they were in development.

This show is just basically giving us another peek behind the curtain, very intriguing, but it's not something I'm backflipping about because I'm not a fan of completely destroying kayfabe.

Tom B. Stone
February 16th, 2010, 4:50 PM
WWE scrapped Tough Enough because they thought it was "too inside", so I don't think they'll break kayface with NXT.

Josh Matthews was also a TE contestant.

Anaconda Sniper
February 16th, 2010, 5:03 PM
http://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/johnny_prime.jpghttp://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/joe_hennig.jpghttp://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/kaval.jpghttp://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/michael_tarver.jpg
http://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/darren_young.jpghttp://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/brett_dibiase.jpghttp://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/skip_sheffield.jpghttp://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/heath_slater.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1Z0Bpa0_D6c/Rik-q_CoiOI/AAAAAAAAACA/qgVrJojzWaQ/s400/BryanDanielson.jpg

If this is the roster, it's a damn good one...

How old is Joe and Skip. Joe needs to do something with that hair and Skip looks like hes pushing 40. Anyways this looks good. Bryan, Brett and Kaval going to be on tv next week this is awesome.

mth
February 16th, 2010, 5:07 PM
Oh, Bill put Johnny Prime, but the roster list has Justin Angel:
http://www.fcwwrestling.info/images/talent/justin_angel.jpg

VanillaJello
February 16th, 2010, 5:18 PM
I think that answers your question...er, well, i guess it wasn't a question, but you know what I mean.

Right... but the last Tough Enough had live elements to it... I.E. Puder trying to shoot on Angle in front of the Smackdown crowd.

I'd hate if the only live experience they get is in contest/segments.

I want to see full length matches between the wrestlers.

If that makes sense.

Newf
February 16th, 2010, 5:26 PM
I'm so stoked to have Justin Angel on TV. I don't know why but I love that dude.

I had a big long post saved in Notepad that I deleted but it basically boiled down to how I hoped NXT could have a big impact on WWE in that 1) we become more invested in the superstars because it's impressed upon us that these guys NEED us to make it. Hopefully it might snap audiences out of the apathy they're sometimes guilty of and REALLY get behind guys, whether they're cheering them or booing them. 2) It's my hope that by trying such a fresh and radical approach with NXT, and especially the fact that it seems like it'll be ever-changing, it ripples out to the rest of WWE and we get a bit more shock and awe. The last BIG change, I feel, was the draft. And the most recent "shock" was Sheamus winning the title. Two things that have divided a lot of people, but have still shaken up the overall picture of the WWE. Basically it's my idealistic hope that NXT could lead to a much fresher WWE with a return of that "anything can happen" feel in the next few months.

JAYD
February 16th, 2010, 5:34 PM
But it depends on what character they portray on the main brands that matters doesn't it? I mean yeah you might think Low Ki is a cool dude but what if he's stuck playing a goat herder with one eye and a horrible southern accent?

I LOLed

UncannyIowan
February 16th, 2010, 5:36 PM
I LOLed

I figured a few would :) It'd make a funny character in a shitty t.v. sitcom.

Motherboy
February 16th, 2010, 6:29 PM
I'm really excited about this. I hope Arn Anderson does something on this show.

Ochoa
February 16th, 2010, 6:31 PM
Maybe he can give up his spot again.

Tom B. Stone
February 16th, 2010, 6:31 PM
It would be great to see guys like Double A, Steamboat and Sarge involved somehow.

Motherboy
February 16th, 2010, 6:37 PM
Sarge screaming at Brett Dibiase while he does pushups, saying that he's not going to make it on his family name alone would be glorious.

One Man Gang
February 16th, 2010, 7:03 PM
Maybe Vic Grimes can jump out of the bushes after every day and try to sell the rookies cocaine. However their training reminds them to "just say no." Then Linda McMahon can use it in her ad campaign.

Anaconda Sniper
February 16th, 2010, 8:04 PM
Bring back Hardcore Holly.. so he can yell at them and say they are worthless. Only for them to beat him up and throw him out of the building.

VanillaJello
February 16th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Some of the partnerships

Jericho - Wade Barrett (Loves money)

Matt Hardy - Justin Gabriel - (Cross between Johnny Damon/Adam Lambert) Gabriel is the former Justin Angel

VanillaJello
February 16th, 2010, 11:32 PM
More pairings

Carlito - Michael Tarver (Boxer?)

MVP - Skip Sheffield (Entertainer)

VanillaJello
February 16th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Pairing

The Miz - Daniel Bryan (no-nonsense)

Mark Hammer
February 16th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Hearing it on ECW I really don't see everyone's fuss with "Daniel Bryan". It's a fine name.

Sphere
Miz & Daniel Bryan... WTF?

Kdestiny
THE MIZ AND BRYAN DANIELSON!

VanillaJello
February 16th, 2010, 11:38 PM
Miz & Daniel Bryan... WTF?

To give him a personality?

Defrost
February 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Bryan Danielson and The Miz is random to an insane degree

Sweet_Chin_Music
February 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I was hoping for Daniel Bryan and HBK....wishful thinking I spose.

VanillaJello
February 16th, 2010, 11:41 PM
What will Tarver do if Carlito gets fired during the season?

VanillaJello
February 16th, 2010, 11:41 PM
NXT Pairing

Christian - Heath Slater (Rock star?)

One Man Gang
February 16th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Anyone else slightly offended at Miz mentoring a guy who is older and has been wrestling longer? Danielson is an 11 year vet. Miz, 7 years.

VanillaJello
February 16th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Well, in terms of WWE experience... Miz does have a lot more.

The Sucka
February 16th, 2010, 11:47 PM
What will Tarver do if Carlito gets fired during the season?

That made me chuckle. I'm quite excited about NXT and I didn't think I would be. Mainly though, my excitement is because I don't know what the show is fully about, so next week will be interesting. Hope it turns out well and leads to some good future superstars.

Mark Hammer
February 16th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Darren Young looks like a black John Cena.

VanillaJello
February 16th, 2010, 11:50 PM
NXT Pairing

Punk - Darren Young

Sphere
February 16th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Darren Young looks like a black John Cena.

Straight up, the dude does look like CENA. Darren Young is Black. His name is Fred Sampson. look it up on wiki.

VanillaJello
February 17th, 2010, 12:05 AM
NXT Pairing

R-Truth - David Otunga

Torn
February 17th, 2010, 12:08 AM
Anyone else slightly offended at Miz mentoring a guy who is older and has been wrestling longer? Danielson is an 11 year vet. Miz, 7 years.

As far as WWE land and the storyline goes, DANIEL BRYAN is the fresh faced rookie and Miz is a champion. Their actual experience is irrelevant.

mth
February 17th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I find it kind of hilarious how you guys are spoiler tagging stuff and then everyone is responding to it totally tag free which completely exposes what's under the tags.

But we're in TV/PPV, and I think by this point, anyone that didn't want stuff spoiled would have realized there's spoilers abounding with all the tagged stuff, so you guys can go ahead and stop tagging stuff.

*SPOILERS ABOUND!! GET OUT IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED NEXT WEEK!*

Deewun
February 17th, 2010, 12:12 AM
We can look forward to the fact that this is going to be Kayfabe, especially with the Miz/Danielson thing.

No Kaval makes me a bit angry, but we'll see what happens. I'm interested, and two of the guys I wanted to see (Justin "Gabriel" and "Daniel Bryan") are in there, so we'll see.

VanillaJello
February 17th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Just trying to be helpful.

*Shrug*

Anaconda Sniper
February 17th, 2010, 12:13 AM
NXT Pairing

Punk - Darren Young

This is my favorite pairing of the bunch. :yes:

mth
February 17th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Just trying to be helpful.

*Shrug*

Yep, and I appreciate it. :yes: It's everyone that's responded to the tagged stuff with untagged replies. But again, it's not an issue at this point, so don't sweat it.

Sphere
As far as WWE land and the storyline goes, DANIEL BRYAN is the fresh faced rookie and Miz is a champion. Their actual experience is irrelevant.

That's logical.

I cant wait to see NXT next Tuesday. My early hypothesis is that NXT will get a good first week viewing.

Sweet_Chin_Music
When I saw Punk was a coach all I could think was Low Ki...and yet no...

Deewun
February 17th, 2010, 12:15 AM
This is my favorite pairing of the bunch. :yes:
I'm interested, but only ...
if he gets shaved!

Motherboy
February 17th, 2010, 12:16 AM
They need to stop reusing the last name "Gabriel". It's a shitty, gimmicky last name, but not gimmicky enough where they could change it like "Nitro".

Sphere
February 17th, 2010, 12:17 AM
I would have liked for WWE to announce a WWE Legend as a Pro. Steamboat and his son for NXT.

VanillaJello
February 17th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Steamboat - Bryan would have been a fun pairing.

Motherboy
February 17th, 2010, 12:18 AM
From what I understand, Richie Steamboat is probably a good year or two from being ready for the call-up.

Yeah, Steamboat/Bryan would have been good.

VanillaJello
February 17th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Could of feuded over the nickname 'Dragon' as well.

Motherboy
February 17th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Or Steamboat could have christened him "American Dragon" himself. I hadn't even thought of that.

ChocolateThunder
February 17th, 2010, 12:49 AM
The Miz Vs Daniel Bryans has great potential for a feud.

V-Line
February 17th, 2010, 1:58 AM
Nice roster that's extremly diverse and has a good set of coaches. I just hope most get the chance to join Raw or Smackdown instead of just the winner and the rest go back to developmentel. My only problem is now with WWE having only 2 main wrestling brands, the 15 spots that ECW had now have to slot into the already loaded Raw and Smackdown shows.

I've watch bits of FCW recently and most of the guys in this look to have major potential, the only guys I haven't seen are Darren Young and whoever that Daniel Bryan fellow is....I've never actually watch a Danielson match, so lets hope his work is as good as everyone raves about, him and Miz should make for great TV.

From what I've seen David Otunga looks to be the furthest away from being called up, he looked very green from what I saw.

Also It's smart not to have all the major FCW guys in series one, as this show is reported to last as 16 week seasons. Still plenty of talent to fill up next season including Kaval, Henning, Dibiase, Johnny Curtis and a few others.

I actually can't wait for this, but am worried that all the ECW guys will get completely lost on Raw and Smackdown. A third wrestling brand was actually needed for the amount of guys on the roster. But I guess they can always cut plenty of people.

Motherboy
February 17th, 2010, 2:00 AM
I already hate Heath Slater just from his profile photo.

Ochoa
February 17th, 2010, 2:32 AM
I can't believe this Otunga guy is dating Jennifer Hudson.

Mark Hammer
February 17th, 2010, 2:33 AM
And he loved New York.

chotliwala
February 17th, 2010, 2:33 AM
Danielson/Miz should be quality television. They could play it Benoit/Eddie-ish in terms of their personalities.

mth
February 17th, 2010, 2:35 AM
I'm pretty sure they're married.

Anaconda Sniper
February 17th, 2010, 2:37 AM
Heath Slater has a Owen Wilson thing going on.

Ochoa
February 17th, 2010, 2:45 AM

even still, a WWE "rookie" nabbed that.

Motherboy
February 17th, 2010, 2:45 AM
I can't believe this Otunga guy is dating Jennifer Hudson.

Why? Because she's so much bigger than he is?

Ochoa
February 17th, 2010, 2:48 AM
She's not that big. But it's nice she has meat on her bones.

Motherboy
February 17th, 2010, 2:50 AM
Yeah, I was actually just looking at a picture of them and they look good together.

http://poponthepop.com/images/gallery/jennifer-hudson-and-david-otunga.jpg

That's Otunga on the right, if you can't tell.

Ochoa
February 17th, 2010, 2:52 AM
Glad Hudson shaved then. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to tell them apart.

Motherboy
February 17th, 2010, 2:54 AM
:lol:

I'm just saying she's a giantess.

Ochoa
February 17th, 2010, 2:55 AM
I bet she could give Awesome Kong a run for her money.

Motherboy
February 17th, 2010, 2:59 AM
I didn't know she was from Chicago. Nice.

It'd be great if Otunga came to the ring with his wife's Oscar and used it to win matches. Not cheating with it, but more like the urn 'Taker used to have. He draws his power from it.

Ochoa
February 17th, 2010, 3:03 AM
:lol: The Power of the Oscar! The Power of the Oscar!

http://www.prairiehomevoices.com/phv-blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/oscar-statue.jpg

Zacharie
February 17th, 2010, 7:09 AM
I'm curious how workers will earn spots to the main shows or lose spots on the reality show. Maybe they have to win x amount of matches or lose x amount of matches, and then a replacement (kaval, dibiase, steamboat etc) is brought up.

Motherboy
February 17th, 2010, 7:17 AM
I'm curious how workers will earn spots to the main shows or lose spots on the reality show.

Log-rolling, presumably.

Zacharie
February 17th, 2010, 7:23 AM
Log-rolling, presumably.

the fans will never accept it

Ringo
February 17th, 2010, 8:37 AM
No Kaval then, which is a bit of a shame. Other than that, I'm really excited for this. Awesome concept, let's hope they manage to pull it off.

Dubya
February 17th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Apparently there's no Brett Dibiase either ..

I don't get why some people are fussing over Danielson being paired with Miz .. Miz is like the most improved wrestler in recent memory. He went from utter shit to pretty fuckin' good and over. .. Danielson isn't gonna learn much in the ring from him, but ROH wasn't exactly on live cable tv (HDnet doesn't count cuz most people don't have it) so Danielson kinda lacks that experience of being on live tv every week.

Besides .. it could just be part of the show .. he doesn't have as much to learn except the TV thing so pair him up with Miz .. who's great on TV. It would almost be a waste of someone like Jericho to pair him with Danielson, when Danielson probably doesn't need that much mentoring.

Who knows .. either way, show looks interesting .. but where the F are Low-Ki and Dibiase?!?[/

Zarius
February 17th, 2010, 11:02 AM
When they were bigging up Daneilson on ECW, they mentioned his experiance and somewhat hinted that he'd be an arrogrant prick boasting about it. Pairing him with the top heel on RAW is a given if he's the "bad guy"...and BOY does he play the role of a prick with ease

Motherboy
February 17th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I think you guys can stop spoiler-tagging everything. It's right there in the thread title. Unless it's simply for secrecy's sake.

VanillaJello
February 17th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I wonder how they'll handle eliminations?

I assume the fans have a say in who gets kicked off?

JAYD
February 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I wonder how they'll handle eliminations?

I assume the fans have a say in who gets kicked off?

I don't think it's being done Survivor style?

I think it's funny people are worrying about "Miz can't teach Danielson anything!" as if this was going to be legit mentoring and having them teach in-ring skills, lol.

JAYD
February 17th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I'm wondering if several of the rookies will end up feuding at least somewhat with their mentor. Just based on appearance, I would have guessed that Gabriel would be a heel though I've never seen him work before. I almost think Young is being paired with Punk because he has big hair and is black...therefore he can be added to the SES so they don't seem like white skinheads and his head shaving should be fun since there's so much to come off. :)

I wish Low Ki, Hennig, and Dibiase were on the show but oh well. Those guys don't really need it as much, I suppose, so there's good argument for keeping all three off and debuting them on their own.

Do we know how long each cycle will go? I mean if they don't do reruns that's 52 shows per year which could either drag on really long if they keep the same guys/mentors for too long or that's a LOT of rookies coming through every few months if they just constantly repeat it. I'm wondering how they'll handle that.

Dubya
February 17th, 2010, 2:00 PM
Well, I doubt it lasts the whole year .. im sure they just take them when they're ready and replace them with some other rookie. That would make the most sense to me. I don't think they should really eliminate people either unless they're just really not progressing at all.

Genius loves Company
February 17th, 2010, 2:00 PM
Silverback Ryan Reeves aka Skip Sheffield...can we claim him Rajah's own?

He posted here for a while.

Ringo
February 17th, 2010, 2:38 PM
Who knows .. either way, show looks interesting .. but where the F are Low-Ki and Dibiase?!?[/

While I'm with you on Low-Ki (although I semi-expect him to debut on Raw or Smackdown - that feud with Rey could still happen), Brett DiBiase is really green and has a long way to go. He's 21 and has only been wrestling a couple of years so there's certainly no rush there. He'll probably be a Rookie in NXT Season Two.

And yeah, I'm aware that most of the NXT guys are still pretty green anyway, but it won't hurt DiBiase to hang around in FCW for a while longer.

JAYD
February 17th, 2010, 2:57 PM
Well, I doubt it lasts the whole year .. im sure they just take them when they're ready and replace them with some other rookie. That would make the most sense to me. I don't think they should really eliminate people either unless they're just really not progressing at all.

So maybe like a 13 week cycle, so 4 total cycles a year? That's 32 rookies a year, quite a lot as obviously they all can't make it (not that they would anyways)...I think that almost seems like a bit too many. But having the same 8 guys for 6 months could get really old too. I guess it depends on how they do it.

McBain
February 17th, 2010, 3:13 PM
Silverback Ryan Reeves aka Skip Sheffield...can we claim him Rajah's own?

He posted here for a while.

Under what handle?

UncannyIowan
February 17th, 2010, 3:15 PM
Didn't he get released a few years ago?

Punker
February 17th, 2010, 3:47 PM
Ryan Reeves first competed in the last Tough Enough (the one that was held on SD) and around that time was posting here to get support. He seemed like a nice enough guy from the posts I read of his. He got eliminated fairly early if I remember correctly and then got picked up by the WWE and then released a few years later in developement. I guess they hired him again.

mth
February 17th, 2010, 3:55 PM
Yeah, Reeves posted here for a really brief time, begging for Tough Enough votes, as I believe 'ryan_reeves' or something like that.

After TE he got signed and put in OVW. He got released from OVW for steroids, I think, and then got rehired a bit later on.

Also, again, there's no need for spoiler tags. Just so we're clear.

Also, I assume Kaval and the others folks are bummed aren't on might be on in the next season, as they're clearly said this is the 'first season' so I would think it'll have a changing roster. Of course, a guy like Kaval could be called up and skip NXT altogether, if they feel he's ready.

Jordo
February 17th, 2010, 4:58 PM
I really like the paring of Miz/AM Drag, and Punk being a coach is awesome and automatically gets me interesting in his protege.

One thing I'm sure that this "coaching" won't be all the coaches are doing, I'm sure they'll continue on with their storylines on their own shows, so will we be seeing the rookies on other shows with their coaches too?

Simmo Fortyone
February 17th, 2010, 5:02 PM
Danielson/Miz should be quality television. They could play it Benoit/Eddie-ish in terms of their personalities.

Awesome succession of posts.

I think Reeves' username was Silverback Ryan Reeves or very similar. He openly admitted he was pandering to us for votes but he was nice enough and answered any questions we had (as much as he was allowed to anyway) and gave us some basic insight into what we didn't see on TV.

Sparky
February 17th, 2010, 5:09 PM
Yeah, his username was Silverback Ryan Reeves. He urged everyone to not vote for Daniel Puder, not even really clamouring for votes himself.

His account was deleted soon after. There is a Silverback Ryan Reeves on the boards, but its not the same guy.

Jordo
February 17th, 2010, 5:11 PM
Also MVP being paired with a Cowboy should be fun.

Dubya
February 17th, 2010, 5:42 PM
Lol I didn't even notice that MVP's rookie was a cowboy .. very nice. I'm most interested in the Miz/Danielson pair and to see what Jericho & Punk do with their rookies.

JAYD
February 17th, 2010, 5:48 PM
Here's a list of questions about the show, most is unknown as of now I assume but we should know a lot more after next week. But maybe some of these have been addressed and I haven't seen it:

1) How long will these 8 "rookies" be on NXT?

2) Will there be "eliminations" of sort like we see on TUF? Will there be a "winner" in the end of will all 8 guys remain on the show throughout their run?

3) What will the "mentoring" involve? Will it be kayfabe or real?

4) Will kayfabe be broken on the show? If not, how to balance the whole reality show aspect of it?

5) Will there be live matches on the show between rookies/rookies or rookies/coaches?

6) Will they be "living together in a house" a la many reality shows including TUF? Or will we only see them in the ring/at the arena/etc?

7) Will mentors more often remain on the same side or feud with each other? If they feud, how do they balance that along with the superstars' other feud(s) at that time being?

8) Will they cycle people through fairly quickly? Will they produce 52 original shows a year with no reruns? If so how can they do that without either burnout/dragging on or cycling too many guys through?

Bill Casey
February 17th, 2010, 5:53 PM
5) Will there be live matches on the show between rookies/rookies or rookies/coaches?

WWE.com says it's a hybrid live event/reality show...
So that would be yes...

7) Will mentors more often remain on the same side or feud with each other? If they feud, how do they balance that along with the superstars' other feud(s) at that time being?
The Press release said it will lead to inherent conflict between rookies and rookies, rookies and pros, and pros and pros...

JAYD
February 17th, 2010, 5:54 PM
I should have also included rookies vs jobbers in that statement, as I suppose that's a possibility too.

V-Line
February 17th, 2010, 5:57 PM
People upset about guys like Dibiase, Kaval and Hennig missing the cut really need to think and realize that this is only season 1, and they can't blow all there tope FCW guys in the 1st season and then leave nobody who is even near being ready for season 2. Looking at FCW's roster, this would be a cool Season 2 lineup...

Alex Riley
Brett Dibiase
Joe Hennig
Johnny Curtis
Johhny Prime
Alberto Banderas
Bo Rotundo
Eli Cottonwood

I think Kaval will skip NXT and just be called up.

Bill Casey
February 17th, 2010, 6:19 PM
I see it as a repackaging of the new talent initiative...
Last year it would have been...

Sheamus
Vance Archer
Tyson Kidd
Yoshi Tatsu
Abraham Washington
Caylen Croft
Trent Baretta
Tyler Reks

Deewun
February 17th, 2010, 6:21 PM
I love gimmicks. As a writer, a roleplayer, and a storyteller, character is very important, as it tells you so much about how the story is going to unfold. The same holds true in wrestling. Gimmicks are what sell merchandise, make wrestlers memorable, and can make or break a career. I don't have to point you any farther than Isaac Yankem's transformation to Kane to prove that. But it seems that the gimmicks nowadays are getting lazy and downright boring. The vast majority of wrestlers nowadays are either "I'm of a particular nationality!" or "I'm a cocky jackass!" then you mix in heel v. face and funny v. serious. And that is lame.

So surprise surprise when watching the Roster show up on ECW that each rookie is being introduced with a little hint of a gimmick! I love that NXT is looking to be Kayfabe, which is exciting, but I'm not seeing these characterstics of the rookies (our first hints to the show other than what they look like) being talked about. So let me tune in the old DVR and I'm just going to quote straight from ECW what they had to say about each guy, and then I'll give a couple thoughts on them.

NOTE: This is in no way an opinion or write up of skill in the ring. This is just analyzing their "gimmicks" and setup as they have been presented to us.

Pro: Chris Jericho; Rookie: Wade Barrett

Wade Barrett, a former bareknuckle fighter from England, but seems to be distinctively obsessed with money and anything he can do to get it.
I like this team up, and I like that bit of a gimmick there. Reminiscent of the Million Dollar Man, though in reverse. I can see lots of great story coming out of this idea, even perhaps a repeat of DiBiase buying off Andre the Giant. Him being teamed with Jericho is an interesting match-up, though I'm unsure of how that will work out on paper. Looking forward to seeing it, though.

Pro: Matt Hardy; Rookie: Justin Gabriel

Born and raised in Cape Town, South Africa. [Justin Gabriel] has been called a dynamo of energy and a cross between Johnny Damon and American Idol's Adam Lambert.
This is a garbage gimmick in comparison with Barrett. Hell, it is barely one. We can guess he is going to be a face. But other than that, he is just a guy who is from South Africa, is charismatic, possibly gay based on the Adam Lambert combat, and has an angel naming scheme to his moves. Hopefully this evolves into something bigger.

Pro: MVP; Rookie: Skip Sheffield

Skip Sheffield, an old fashioned Texas boy, who has been called an "awesome sight in the ring," who loves to entertain and has an outgoing prescience.
Great. Charismatic cowboy. They might as well have had him wear his hat in the picture, don't know why they didn't. More than likely face. Convict/Cowboy and Black/white may come to play, but I highly doubt it. Again, hopefully more will come from this. Maybe he'll hogtie people.

Pro: Carlito; Rookie: Michael Tarver

Tarver claims to be a "knockout specialist," claims he can knockout anybody in 1.9 seconds or less, and he's got the genes. His father was a sparring partner for Mike Tyson.
This is both a good and bad gimmick. Ex-boxer is a cool thing, knockout specialist is cool, and a tie to Mike Tyson is good for WWE history. But the problem is, he's going to have to back this up. So that means he squashes folks, or his gimmick doesn't hold up. Well, not entirely, but you can see where this could go badly. I like the gimmick, though, and it is certainly better than the last two.

Pro: The Miz; Rookie: Daniel Bryan

He's competed all over the world. He claims to have more experience than any other competitor and will bring a no-nonsense attitude to the WWE.
From what I know about Danielson, this is a horribly gimped version of him. I smell the "Cattle Mutilation" getting a new "no-nonsense" name ... ugh. Perhaps THIS will lead to Bryan v. the Miz, as a rookie turning on the pro story. You cannot do it a lot, but doing it here would be the best choice. Oh, and no "American Dragon" either ...

Pro: Christian; Rookie: Heath Slater

Slater is described as a "walking rock band without the instruments." He's colorful, charismatic, sun-kissed red hair [sic], and a larger than life attitude.
Ugh. This is the worst of the new style of gimmicks. This isn't a gimmick, it's just a description! Hopefully Captain Charisma can help him get something more to him.

Pro: CM Punk; Rookie: Darren Young

Darren Young, who looks to be carved out of granite. From what we understand, Darren possesses an immeasurable strength.
See this is interesting, as CM Punk is without a doubt the guy with the most unique gimmick of all the "Pros" involved. Does this mean that we are going to see by the end of NXT a new Straight Edge Society member? A lot of folks think so, though I'm not positive. I do think our rookie here is getting his fucking head-shaved though. As for Young himself, it isn't the worst gimmick, though really it is just a description. If he goes on to continue to use the "granite" and super-strength stuff, he could be really interesting. Like a stone giant or living statue. That is a cool gimmick. Though it is more than likely me going much farther than they are, and he ends up just a better version of Mark Henry. Or worse, WORSE than Mark Henry.

Pro: R-Truth; Rookie: David "the Marquee" Otunga

Now if his face seems familiar, that's because Otunga is the fiancee of academy award winning actress Jennifer Hudson. He's a Harvard Law School graduate whose nickname is "the Marquee."
Another guy with a better than average gimmick (though that is like calling 6 a big number as compared to 5) leading a guy who is the only one who actually has a "quotation nickname" like the old school days. Unfortunately, that's all we get. Marquee, by the way, is defined as: a tall rooflike projection above a theater entrance, usually containing the name of a currently featured play or film and its stars. That's right, he's David "The Outside of the Theatre" Otunga ...

Motherboy
February 17th, 2010, 6:53 PM
Otunga's a Harvard Law graduate? That's great. Hopefully the guy can talk. I like his look a lot. I agree "The Marquee" is pretty much a non-gimmick, though.

Ochoa
February 17th, 2010, 7:02 PM
You think he's going to talk because he is a Harvard Law graduate? Ha! I'd like to see a Harvard Law guy make great speeches. It just doesn't happen! .....

...........ohh nevermind.

evilyn
February 17th, 2010, 7:55 PM
The show sounds pretty good (I still don't see how The Miz can help any rookie seeing that he has less than 10 years experience, storyline or not, but that's just me) But I wonder if Jennifer Hudson will make an appearance, she has been to some of the FCW shows to watch Otunga wrestle.