January 8th, 2010, 2:39 AM
Fucking rule, right?

Not just the 80s stuff.

Not just Black album.

Not just the new Death magnetic stuff.

All of it.

Even the Load/Reload stuff.

(Possibly even some of St Anger)

Like with Doctor Who and Led Zeppelin, some of it might be a bit naff, but all of it is great.

Discuss.

NB - To hell with Napster. This is about the music.

Atty
January 8th, 2010, 2:45 AM
Shouldn't is be Metallica Rules?

Or "RulesAH!"

MichaelC
January 8th, 2010, 2:46 AM
No, they rule. As in our minds.

Atty
January 8th, 2010, 2:48 AM
Ah. So RuleAH?

MichaelC
January 8th, 2010, 2:51 AM
Do you like Metallica, atty?

One Man Gang
January 8th, 2010, 2:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ4JvUDhzZo

I love songs with creepy old chain smoking women singing in them.

MichaelC
January 8th, 2010, 2:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ4JvUDhzZo

I love songs with creepy old chain smoking women singing in them.

She did drugs with and shagged Mick Jagger and/or Keith Richards, did that COCSWS.

One Man Gang
January 8th, 2010, 2:53 AM
She sounds hot to trot.

Atty
January 8th, 2010, 2:56 AM
Do you like Metallica, atty?

Oh, yes.

I find myself putting "AH" on the ends of lines when I sing in their honor. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhryYbyTZ2M

MichaelC
January 8th, 2010, 3:07 AM
Michaels ten current favourite Metallica tracks (limited to 2 per album, and in chronological order)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4nCy5CITc8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX-KjkdDozQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWGOEWdV13M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WElvEZj0Ltw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYcsPB6pK7E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kf7MB_u55o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq-o5qIT-SU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86Z6Xw_C0w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFBbOHohwR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeE1Y8S6jVc

Bert
January 8th, 2010, 3:13 AM
I love For Whom The Bell Tolls (after first hearing it in the intro to Zombieland), Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, and Master of Puppets. (when I borrowed my friends Zune) Unforgiven is pretty good too. Haven't heard any of the new Death Magnetic stuff that I can remember. I have the Guitar Hero Metallica game for the Wii and it's a lot of fun. I got 99% on Nothing Else Matters (on easy) and it made my day. Hey, don't laugh at me! Even on Easy it's still a six and a half minute song! :(

MichaelC
January 8th, 2010, 3:28 AM
Mandy loves Nothing Else Matters.

My ex dedicated it to me as a request the day she dumped me. It holds bad memories for me.

turdpower
January 8th, 2010, 5:02 AM
Yeah, I'm a fucking massive Metallica fan.

Which is odd as I'm not into other heavy metal really.

I love Load and ReLoad, but even I can't defend St Anger. While some of the songs are OK, it just proves how shit Metallica would sound if Lars had total control. I wanted to like St Anger, I defended it to the hills when it came out, but come on; It's fucking horrid. The drums make my ears hurt.

Pete Cash
January 8th, 2010, 5:07 AM
IM MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOU

i like metallica but i mean come on

turdpower
January 8th, 2010, 5:14 AM
INVISIBLE KID, NEVER SEE WHAT HE DID, STUFF WHERE HE HID, FALLING THROUGH THE GRID.

:lol:

They did an acoustic set somewhere and did Sweet Amber, it's on youtube and actually sounds good.

Pete Cash
January 8th, 2010, 5:18 AM
sweet amber was the best song from the album

turdpower
January 8th, 2010, 5:25 AM
Did you ever hear that song they did called DK ROLLS? I heard a live chorus of it from about 2001. It sounded good but never got made.

I haven't been able to find it since.

McBain
January 8th, 2010, 9:41 AM
Yeah, not particularly into my metal (except for some sludge/ambient/prog stuff) but you have to recognise the greatness that is Metallica. And they're so fucking cool as well.

Really enjoyed them at Reading festival a couple of years ago, riff-tacular greatness and so fucking loud. I like their epic songs, but I'm also a sucker for their commercial tracks too (enter sandman especially).

Bunch of cunts though.

Murphy
January 8th, 2010, 9:58 AM
One of the only bands I'd ever pay to go and see.

Great to see a return to form with 'Death Magnetic'.

Fade to Black is still the best song they've done though. In fact, I fucking love the whole of 'Ride The Lightning'.

Gary J
January 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Love the first four albums.

The Black Album - i can't begin to describe how much i hate that album it turned me off Metallica for quiet a while and i didn't listen to one of their albums after that until Death Magnetic which is quiet good and it made get the other albums. Load/Reload are ok , St Anger is shit though.

Ringo
January 8th, 2010, 11:50 AM
terrible thread

EDIT: Oh I thought this was the Asylum. Still.

Dubya
January 8th, 2010, 12:05 PM
sweet amber was the best song from the album

I liked "The Unnamed Feeling" the most, but "Sweet Amber" and "Frantic" were pretty much the only other good songs on that cd .. for me, anyway. I do love pretty much all their other albums, though. Re-Load is the opposite of St. Anger cuz I like all but a few songs (instead of just a few songs). I do enjoy the Load album a lot. The first 5 discs are genius and the new album is pretty damn good also. I liked the S&M cd a lot too. The orchestra added an epic feel to the songs.

Murphy
January 8th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I liked 'The Unnamed Feeling'.

And 'St. Anger', if I'm being honest.

:\

Frank_Drebin
January 8th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Love Metallica and all they've done.
Can't believe nobody has mentioned "ONE" as one of their faves.

Canadian Devil
January 8th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Actually One is a fav of mine, picked up a copy of Ride the Lightning when it first came out and haven't missed a release yet. I still think Master of Puppets is their best but i imagine we all have our favorites.

Murphy
January 8th, 2010, 2:28 PM
Ride The Lightning
Master Of Puppets
Kill 'Em All
Death Magnetic
...And Justice For All
Load
Black
Re-Load
St. Anger

I imagine my order is different than most.

turdpower
January 8th, 2010, 2:41 PM
MOP
RTL
AJFA
TBA
DM
Load
KEA
ReLoad

St. Anger

While One and Enter Sandman are clearly cracking songs, I've heard them far too many times to consider them favourite songs.

Kill Em All is low on my list because it just sounds so raw and stuff. If they'd recorded it 6 or so years later, I'm sure it would have sounded alot better. I don't like James' screeching on that really either.

McBain
January 8th, 2010, 2:50 PM
And 'St. Anger', if I'm being honest.

:\

I'M MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOUUUUU.

FFFRANTIC-TIC-TOCK-TICK-TOCK...

turdpower
January 8th, 2010, 2:55 PM
YOU LIVE IN A LION!

Murphy
January 8th, 2010, 3:14 PM
I'M MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOUUUUU.

FFFRANTIC-TIC-TOCK-TICK-TOCK...

The album sucked, I just liked the track 'St Anger'.

That's not quite as bad. :happysad:

Pete Cash
January 8th, 2010, 3:28 PM
RTL and KEA> MOP which really dies at the end of the album.

Hero!
January 8th, 2010, 4:26 PM
Fuck yes, my favorite band of all time ever in the history of music.

I was just rocking out to the MoP album on my drive home. Welcome Home Sanitarium is my favorite song of theirs.

Hero!
January 8th, 2010, 4:28 PM
The album sucked, I just liked the track 'St Anger'.

That's not quite as bad. :happysad:

St. Anger is a pretty sweet song. I think it would have gotten more love had it not been done by Metallica.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Kerrang MoP anniversary cover album thingy? I really like Machine Head's take on Battery and Mastodon's Orion.

The Masked Jobber
January 8th, 2010, 5:02 PM
I highly agree, Metallica rock my fucking socks off.

Second City Saint
January 8th, 2010, 5:55 PM
Metallica died when the bus rolled over and killed Cliff.

RTL
MOP
K'EA

that's all.

Hero!
January 8th, 2010, 6:46 PM
Metallica died when the bus rolled over and killed Cliff.

Nah.

MichaelC
January 8th, 2010, 7:01 PM
Puppets is my favourite album, closely followed by Justice.

I feel Load/Reload would be a much better album if it was one album with the best stuff kept.

Second City Saint
January 8th, 2010, 7:40 PM
Nah.OK!

Hero!
January 8th, 2010, 7:45 PM
:yes: Glad I could help you think clearly.

MichaelC
January 8th, 2010, 8:11 PM
Hero actually talks sen se here.

Second City Saint
January 8th, 2010, 8:23 PM
Even you couldn't fool yourself to say that he was making sense :lol:

Fact is - the story of Metallica can be told using their bass players and their hair.

MichaelC
January 8th, 2010, 8:25 PM
Cliff was their best bassist, but they don't become dearth of quality as soon as he dies.

Second City Saint
January 8th, 2010, 8:31 PM
Would you not say they took a change circa ...and justice?

MichaelC
January 8th, 2010, 8:35 PM
Of course there's a change. Justice is a very different sounding album from Puppets.

That doesn't make it bad though.

Metallica would have been shit if they'd just stuck to the Kill 'em All stuff.

Second City Saint
January 8th, 2010, 8:38 PM
There's where you're forgetting this is all subjective and not like fact.

I think Metallica after MOP IS bad. I would've rather they played just like the K'EA stuff rather than ending up MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOU 20 years later.

MichaelC
January 8th, 2010, 8:47 PM
I think most people would rather they didnt end up MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOU.

It made me dubious about trying Death Magnetic for ages till I was pleasantly surprised. (It's still not as good as Justice or Puppets though)

Second City Saint
January 8th, 2010, 9:01 PM
I was personally hurt when I heard that line...it was like their punishment for me downloading that song online. Then I realized that listening to the song was punishment enough.

turdpower
January 8th, 2010, 9:20 PM
There's where you're forgetting this is all subjective and not like fact.

I think Metallica after MOP IS bad. I would've rather they played just like the K'EA stuff rather than ending up MADLY IN ANGER WITH YOU 20 years later.

St Anger is all Lars fault.

Anaconda Sniper
January 8th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I like the black album. Never listen to it..but just when I was little hearing it all the time.

PMBR
January 9th, 2010, 12:28 AM
It's understandable that a lot of people don't like the later Metallica. Based on my age, and the age that I started listening to heavy music, I was exposed to Metallica's discography from Kill Em All up to Load all at once. As a child, I found Load, Kill Em All and the Black Album, in that order, to be the most enjoyable.

Metallica is absolutely my favorite band and aside from St. Anger, I enjoy everything they've put out. S&M is my favorite album of all time. The songs themselves sound truly epic with an orchestra behind them. The Outlaw Torn from that album is my favorite recording of all time.

I think the Load album gets horribly undervalued because of the notable difference in genre. I'm honestly not a big fan of Ride The Lightning. For Whom The Bell Tolls is actually the only song on that album that I really enjoy and I prefer the S&M version of it.

mr sabu
January 9th, 2010, 4:15 AM
i love metallica... but id rather get aids or raped in the ass then listen to st anger.

turdpower
January 9th, 2010, 5:35 AM
I really like ESCAPE of RTL. Shame Metallica don't :(

PMBR
January 9th, 2010, 11:41 AM
In case you can't tell, I really enjoy James' singing voice and epic style of songwriting best displayed in the 90s. The numbers next to the song title are where they rank in my all time favorite Metallica songs. I excluded obvious choices like Master of Puppets, Battery, One and For Whom The Bell Tolls because I expect everyone agrees on them.

1. The Outlaw Torn (S&M)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9BIvthwJM

2. Bleeding Me (S&M)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9kxNeoRpv0

3. The House That Jack Built (Load)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eNMKJ_DLSs

4. Of Wolf and Man (Metallica)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guTTGJ_PK2Q

9. My Apocalypse (Death Magnetic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URAB74_fum8

10. Ronnie (Load)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB-vwdj5NYA

Honorable Mention:
The Unforgiven 2
King Nothing
Cyanide
Sad But True
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Motorbreath

Gary J
January 9th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Cliff was their best bassist, but they don't become dearth of quality as soon as he dies.

No they don't suddenly become shit but there is a downturn in quality after his death. Of course it doesn't help that the two albums that came before his death are their greatest albums and they haven't come anywhere near matching them.

The same argument about the downturn in quality could be made about Guns And Roses once Steven Adler left as they have never come come close to matching Appetite For Destruction. Or you could point to Izzy Stradlin leaving and say that was the reason The Spaghetti Incident was shit and he wasn't there to help Axl with Chinese Democracy.

Most bands have a peak they hit that they never match. Metallica hit theirs whilst Cliff Burton was there.

PMBR
January 9th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I disagree thoroughly. Cliff was great and their early stuff is enjoyable. However, the quality of their music grew with age. James' voice definitely took a turn for the better. Jason Newsted had a better backup voice and can play all of the stuff Cliff did. Lyrically, the Load album is probably their strongest showing. Instrumentally, while a different genre, the songs are no weaker whatsoever.

That's just my opinion. Considering the genre change, it's comparing apples to oranges. However, even sticking to the thrash stuff, I think My Apocalypse could be on any of their 80's albums and nobody would have batted an eye.

Second City Saint
January 9th, 2010, 1:29 PM
Didn't James completely fuck his voice up by his own admission during that massive Black Album tour?

This is one of my favorite live recordings ever (all the the more amazing that it was at such a miserable event)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3tTeOt9fDA

Frank_Drebin
January 9th, 2010, 4:49 PM
Lots of people hate St. Anger, I think its ok, just not a good metallica album. Its a little like Godfather part III, clearly nobody's favorite, but by itself, not taking into account what has gone before it, its pretty good.

For Whom the Bell Tolls was the first metallica song I heard and i think its still my favorite now. The epic one minute intro is the greatest riff of all time.

More honorable mentions:

So what- my warm up song when i start the day.

Whiskey in the Jar- a rare occasion where a cover version is better than the original.

Wherever I may Roam (s&M version)- epic on so many levels. As I travel about a lot, this has become an anthem of my travels.

13th Step
January 10th, 2010, 3:41 PM
Metallica is one of my all time fav bands. Seen them live a few times, always put on a good show. I would have to that my fav. almbum is Master of Puppets.

As far as St. Anger goes, I can't remember who said it, but they said it sounded like they just recorded Lars throwing his drums down a flight of stairs. Heh, i always thought that was funny. But it was their worst album. I'm grateful they did Death Magnetic. My fear was always that St. Anger would have been their last album ever. Ugh, imagine if they ended on that shit.

Hard to pick 1 fav song because they have so many kick ass songs. I'll just list some of my favs:

The 4 Horsemen
Creeping Death (awesome live)
Fade to Black
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Battery
Master of Puppets
Leper Mesiah
Orion
One
Harvester of Sorrows
To Live Is To Die
Unforgiven
Dont Tread on Me
Thru the Never
Bleeding Me
The Outlaw Torn
Broken, Beaten & Scarred
All Nightmare Long
Suicide & Redemption

Man, thats a pretty long list! Oh and my fav cover they do is Am I Evil.

I still wish Jason Newstead was in the band.

turdpower
January 10th, 2010, 4:54 PM
The drums on St Anger sound like he's hitting sticks against a radiator.

Second City Saint
January 10th, 2010, 4:56 PM
I always likened them to trash cans myself.

turdpower
January 10th, 2010, 6:25 PM
I guess. Nowhere in Britain has them anymore, as far as I know. Probably why that sound doesn't spring to mind.

Version 6
January 11th, 2010, 2:06 AM
It's drum sticks against milo tins.

St Anger has needlessly long tracks. No solos, but 8 minute songs anyway because they just repeat the choruses over and over.

Eggbert Spam
January 11th, 2010, 2:42 AM
Metallica are shit.

Music for 12 year olds who don't know any better.

MichaelC
January 11th, 2010, 2:52 AM
Don't be daft.

Eggbert Spam
January 11th, 2010, 4:12 AM
Explain to me why they're not shit.

Wanker drummer, singer with a weak as piss voice, a Malaysian transsexual on lead guitar and yet another bassist.

Version 6
January 11th, 2010, 9:04 PM
Yeah. I bloody love Nothing Else Matters, but the rest is all a bit heavy for my tastes.

Aussie_Outlaw
January 11th, 2010, 9:49 PM
For the Aussies in this thread the Metallica doco 'Some Kind of Monster' airs tonight at 10PM on SBS1.

Version 6
January 11th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I have it on DVD my good man.

What a bunch of whiny twats. Rob Trujilo is the only one who didn't come out of that thing looking like a complete fuckwit.

takerson
January 12th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Wow. This is a thread I would've loved to make, but never had the balls to. I thought people would just trash my favorite band. I'm glad most of you love Metallica as well.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a bad Metallica song. Of course, we all have blocked the atrocious St. Anger from our minds, but even that had really good songs in "The Unnamed Feeling" and "Sweet Amber".

It's hard to pick a favorite song, Really though, almost every Metallica song is a favorite of mine, so I can't pick just one.

HONORABLE MENTIONS FOR ULTIMATE AWESOMENESS.

- No Leaf Clover (s&m)
- Motorbreath (K'eA)
- Merciful Fate (Garage Inc.)
- Pretty Much All of Master of Puppets, ...Justice for All, & Death Magnetic

Aussie_Outlaw
January 12th, 2010, 1:16 AM
The worst thing about St Anger is that they already had two non-studioed tracks in Human & No Leaf Clover which would both be great, and all they had to do was record more of the same (give it a decent polish like Reload/Garage) and release it about 2000-4. Unfortunately they decide to just write some songs which you can't tell if they're any good since the production is just downright horrible

turdpower
January 12th, 2010, 6:09 AM
Yeah. I bloody love Nothing Else Matters, but the rest is all a bit heavy for my tastes.

Fade To Black, Sanitarium, Mama Said, Hero Of The Day, Bleeding Me, No Leaf Clover.

All less heavy.

turdpower
January 17th, 2010, 7:41 PM
Anyone got the new DVD from Mexico? I read somewhere that it's not for sale anywhere else apart from South America.

Dodgy Browne
January 18th, 2010, 3:17 AM
Metallica are great.
I don't mind St Anger, but I do understand why people hate it.
Aside that they have a great discography.
After almost 30 years they still are able to release a great album like Death Magnetic.
Death Magnetic is no Puppets, but it's still an album legion of bands dream of recording.

My top 5:
1. Master of puppets
2. Welcome home (sanitarium)
3. Creeping death
4. Outlaw torn
5. Dyer's eve

ACS
April 13th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Metallica are great.
I don't mind St Anger, but I do understand why people hate it.
Aside that they have a great discography.
After almost 30 years they still are able to release a great album like Death Magnetic.
Death Magnetic is no Puppets, but it's still an album legion of bands dream of recording.

My top 5:
1. Master of puppets
2. Welcome home (sanitarium)
3. Creeping death
4. Outlaw torn
5. Dyer's eve

Props for Dyer's Eve. It seems like most people don't like that song.

DeadManWalkin901
April 13th, 2010, 2:41 AM
my favorite band of all time been listening to them for a very long time. it's amazing they put on as good of (if not better) a concert today. my favorite album is mop followed by s&m. my favorite song is welcome home or no leaf clover. i dont think st anger is that good but there are some good songs and dm proves they still have it. i knew when i heard rick rubin was involved dm would be great.

turdpower
July 26th, 2010, 2:28 AM
They're on DISCOVERY here in the UK tonight on a programme called TIME WARP. Something to do with hi-motion cameras.

Hero!
September 24th, 2010, 8:36 PM
Anyone heard these before? A Capella Metallica:

YouTube - Van Canto - Master of Puppets

YouTube - Van Canto - Battery (Official)

I dig em.

turdpower
October 10th, 2011, 9:45 AM
What the fuck is going on with this Lou Reed thing? It was just... awful.

MikeHunt
October 10th, 2011, 11:29 AM
have you heard the whole thing turdy?

Eggbert Spam
October 10th, 2011, 1:36 PM
It's a Lou Reed album, not a Metallica album. I quite like the one song I've heard from it.

MikeHunt
October 10th, 2011, 1:42 PM
it's going to be an album that needs to be listened to in full to get it i think.

turdpower
October 11th, 2011, 7:22 AM
I heard a bit of that one song and maybe I just don't get it. But I didn't like any of the bit Lou Reed was "singing" in and had to turn it off.

MikeHunt
October 11th, 2011, 6:01 PM
give the full thing a listen before you judge mate. honestly think as a whole the album will be brilliant.

Eggbert Spam
October 11th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I know this idea was passe five minutes after this movie came out, but this tickled me nonetheless.

Hitler reacts to Metallica recording with Lou Reed. - YouTube

William
October 14th, 2011, 9:39 AM
I like Metallica, the older stuff moreso than the newer. It took me a while to start to like the St. Anger album, but it eventually grew on me. Howeverrrrr, I'm sorry... I just could not get into their Death Magnetic album, no matter how hard I tried. Hopefully Lulu will be pretty decent. Lou Reed is okay, so... fingers crossed.

turdpower
October 24th, 2011, 5:31 AM
I have no idea how you managed to like St Anger but not Death Magnetic.

As a staunch Metallica fan back in the day, even I couldn't defend St Anger.

Murphy
October 24th, 2011, 6:02 AM
I really like Death Magnetic, on the whole.

Pete Cash
October 24th, 2011, 7:07 AM
Death Magnetic suffers from the same problem as most metallica works lately. They insist on filling that 80 minutes on a CD.

MichaelC
October 24th, 2011, 8:17 AM
I have no idea how you managed to like St Anger but not Death Magnetic.

As a staunch Metallica fan back in the day, even I couldn't defend St Anger.

:yes:

Even I couldn't defend St Anger. Hideous album.

Death Magnetic though, had 2 tracks I love - All Nightmare Long and The Day That Never Comes - so was worth it. It also feels more old school Metallica, whereas St Anger felt like an attempt to be like the old days by someone who'd forgotten how to do it.

But I suppose 1 album with no redeeming qualities in 30 odd years isn't too bad going.

turdpower
November 8th, 2011, 7:12 PM
I just watched them on Jools Holland.

I just do not get it.

It's like they've replaced the solos with the ramblings of an old man. Just, no words, eurgh.

Eggbert Spam
November 16th, 2011, 2:07 AM
It amazes me that Metallica fans actually thought they would like this album. Lou Reed is a rambling old man, this is always what it was going to be.

The thing that strikes me about it is that they missed a trick in not doing this concept themselves. These songs would have made a wonderfully heavy Metallica album.

MikeHunt
November 16th, 2011, 5:49 AM
Lou Reed is fucking amazing take that back you massive shitebag.

Album isn't as bad as people are making out, i don't think it is the best piece of work by either but it is a more than passable effort. i heard many argue that metallica just phoned it in for this and their contribution is the shit bit, but i say it is there best work in years riff wise.

Eggbert Spam
November 16th, 2011, 5:55 AM
Lou Reed may be amazing, he's still a rambling old man you scabby cumbucket.

MikeHunt
November 16th, 2011, 5:58 AM
fuck off, don't talk shit.

turdpower
November 16th, 2011, 7:28 AM
The thing that I don't get and that amazes me, is the fact they bothered to do this. Also, it was a bit weird watching them all play together and Lou just sort of strumming along at half the speed, was he really adding any sound with his guitar?

Hero!
September 4th, 2013, 3:23 PM
www.rollingstone.com/music/news/metallica-unleash-fury-on-master-of-puppets-live-song-premiere-20130904

Can not wait for this.

turdpower
September 4th, 2013, 3:36 PM
They doing a new album anytime soon? I liked Death Magnetic.

Atty
September 4th, 2013, 4:09 PM
Metallica is great and I've found myself liking them a lot more recently. I had a friend die over a year ago who was a massive Metallica fan (like, beyond whatever you can think of) and listening to them since then I've just gotten more out of their music than I ever thought I could.

Hero!
April 27th, 2015, 12:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5m_8HuEBI4

Better than anything Metallica have actually done in a long time.

WizoOzz
April 27th, 2015, 1:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a41bERTFBUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M41wFUJ3anY

Hero!
August 19th, 2016, 9:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBHL3v4d3I

Gods.

Hero!
November 17th, 2016, 10:57 AM
So, 10 videos in 18 hours? Jesus

Atty
November 17th, 2016, 12:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXJifYl_byU

turdpower
November 22nd, 2016, 7:08 PM
I hadn't seen the official video for Hardwired - awful video, why bother?

That's the best song on the album for me, nothing else really grabbed me on it. It's interesting that Lars and James have all the writing credits with Rob on one of those tracks. Kirk was just picking his arse and surfing I imagine.

Hero!
November 22nd, 2016, 8:03 PM
Kirk lost his phone with all the riff ideas he'd recorded.

turdpower
November 23rd, 2016, 12:55 PM
And he couldn't remember ANY of them?

MikeHunt
November 23rd, 2016, 1:02 PM
And he couldn't remember ANY of them?

if hes just recording and jamming stuff out I don't see that as being impossible tbh.

Jarrod1983
November 24th, 2016, 1:21 AM
My favorite band. I grew up on Metallica. I still have 2 VHSs of their Live Shit tour from like 1991. I drove my parents nuts watching those tapes of them blowing the roof off.

They have so many classic hits but their B side stuff is so good. Damage Inc., Creeping Death, Call of Ktulu, Lepper Messiah all great tunes. Damage Inc. has also doubled as my tag team or stable name in any wrestling game I've played.

They are timeless and will live on forever.

Gary J
November 25th, 2016, 4:37 AM
Love the first four albums.

The Black Album - i can't begin to describe how much i hate that album it turned me off Metallica for quiet a while and i didn't listen to one of their albums after that until Death Magnetic which is quiet good and it made me get the other albums. Load/Reload are ok , St Anger is shit though.

Must have mellowed with age because i played the black album the other week and actually didn't mind it. I'll check out this new album eventually because as a teenager I fucking loved Metallica and still do despite the fact they've probably put out more shit albums then actual ones I like at this point. Still can never decide if I like Ride The Lightning or Master of Puppets best and probably never will at this point.

takerson
November 25th, 2016, 5:30 PM
Haven't heard the whole thing yet. But like what I've heard so far. Have listened to about 8 songs from it. Atlas, Rise and Spit Out The Bone are my favorites so far. Metallica was almost all I listened to in HS, but since opening up my musical variety around age 25 I've barely listened to them. Still a soft spot though.

Murphy
March 24th, 2017, 6:41 AM
Got tickets for London. :hyper:

Lot of moaning about the price. £96. Meh.

Got the new album, but haven't really listened to it yet. Not even put disc 2 in.

Jarrod1983
March 24th, 2017, 7:19 AM
New album is good. For it for Christmas. It was 3 discs. Not sure if they were all sold like that. Disc 3 was older stuff live, prolly my favorite disc out of the 3. Love the stuff from the 80s.

The Beer Monster
March 24th, 2017, 7:07 PM
I got tickets for the 24th in London.

turdpower
March 24th, 2017, 9:39 PM
Got tickets for London. :hyper:

Lot of moaning about the price. £96. Meh.

Got the new album, but haven't really listened to it yet. Not even put disc 2 in.

Surely the cheapest ticket wasn't £96?

Murphy
March 25th, 2017, 8:46 AM
Surely the cheapest ticket wasn't £96?

I believe so. Well, £85 for the ticket, then booking fees etc.

Slutty McWhoreface
March 26th, 2017, 2:41 PM
I haven't been a Metallica fan since '91 or so, but there is no excuse for a supposed authentic 'metal' band who has denied selling out countless times over the years-- performing with that faux attention whore, Lady Gaga.

At that moment in time, you could literally hear the majority of their remaining dedicated fanbase dying inside.

Matthew
March 26th, 2017, 3:05 PM
not hating. just wondering. what is a faux attention whore? she acts like she wants attention but doesn't want it?

Slutty McWhoreface
March 26th, 2017, 5:29 PM
My bad. I should have added a comma after faux.

I meant that she is fake, and an attention whore.

turdpower
March 26th, 2017, 6:48 PM
I believe so. Well, £85 for the ticket, then booking fees etc.

Wow, I understand people being annoyed.

Simmo Fortyone
March 26th, 2017, 8:43 PM
My bad. I should have added a comma after faux.

I meant that she is fake, and an attention whore.
All performing artists, by some scope of the definition, are attention seeking.

Slutty McWhoreface
March 26th, 2017, 9:21 PM
Well, obviously... that's fame...

but she does it for all the wrong reasons. She needs attention so desperately, that she has to borderline fuck someone on stage while dressed like a Muppet in order to garner it.

If you can't get this "attention" on pure talent alone-- then you are by all definition: "faux," phony, fake, etc..

she has blatantly ripped-off Madonna... who cries out to the masses about women being "exploited," sexism, etc... then proceeds to show her cunt to anyone who's brave enough to look at it.

I was heavily considering casting a vote for Clinton so I could get one of those promised blow-jobs from Madonna-- but instead opted to replicate the experience by sticking my cock in a bucket of raw sewage.

same end result.

On topic: I don't know what happened to Metallica... but they are certainly not "metal" anymore.

I look forward to Metallica's upcoming holiday album with Justin Bieber.

have some fucking respect for your genre.

at least SOME metal bands have kept it real... I don't think we'll be seeing Dave Mustaine from Megadeth doing a duet with Iggy Azalea anytime soon...

Simmo Fortyone
March 26th, 2017, 11:17 PM
Fucking hell. Didn't realise you were so passionate about it.

Slutty McWhoreface
March 27th, 2017, 12:03 AM
you should hear my opinion on Corn Chex.

Dodgy Browne
March 27th, 2017, 2:03 AM
Metallica already sold out with The Black Album 26 years ago by producing a rock album, so your arguement seems a bit late.
I'm still a big fan. Where you see a negative, I see a positive. Yes, Metallica is very mainstream right now, but I do believe they found a way to please the fans as well try to target new fans.
Yes they do all of mainstream performances, but they still kick ass live. And better yet, they still make a track like Spit out the bone.
If the end results means that a 14 year old kid walks into a record stores and buys Hardwired, or listens to Master Of Puppets on Spotyfy, I'm all for it.

Donald
March 27th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Some days I like Metallica, some days I hate them so much. Strange.

Nash Diesel
March 27th, 2017, 2:40 PM
Metallica already sold out with The Black Album 26 years ago by producing a rock album, so your arguement seems a bit late.
I'm still a big fan. Where you see a negative, I see a positive. Yes, Metallica is very mainstream right now, but I do believe they found a way to please the fans as well try to target new fans.
Yes they do all of mainstream performances, but they still kick ass live. And better yet, they still make a track like Spit out the bone.
If the end results means that a 14 year old kid walks into a record stores and buys Hardwired, or listens to Master Of Puppets on Spotyfy, I'm all for it.

Some would say, including the late Cliff Burton, that Metallica "sold out" when they put "Fade to Black" out. Obviously he said it in response to someone claiming they sold out or whatever.

I'm more of a Black album-prior Metallica fan. Some stuff off Load/Re-Load is ok and everything else after that is so hit and miss for me. I think a big mistake they made IMHO was trying to sound the way they did when they were in their mid 20's when they're in their mid 40's up to mid 50's. James' voice just doesn't sound that good anymore and the music just feels forced. I mean it's not like they came out and said "The labels made us go softer so we're doing what we wanted to do all this time!" They fell out of the mainstream 15 years ago and since then they've been trying to at the very least salvage their hardcore fans who want new music but don't want it to sound like "Bleeding Me" or "Ronnie".

But they'll always sell out shows. I was able to see them 3rd show in like 1997, they did 4 sets and I was barely 16. It was supposed to have KORN opening but something happened so they switched it to Corrosion of Conformity at the last minute. 2nd best show of my life with the 1st being the Deftones show I went to last August here in Des Moines. Wish I had been able to see that tour with Metallica, Deftones, Limp Bizkit, I think Linkin Park was on it as well it was from what I heard really fucking awesome.

Donald
March 27th, 2017, 4:08 PM
Who the fuck wants to go see Linkin Park live seriously wtf. At least they're better than U2 I suppose.

Murphy
October 21st, 2017, 9:17 AM
Who the fuck wants to go see Linkin Park live seriously wtf. At least they're better than U2 I suppose.

:eek:

Tomorrow is Metallica for me. Thought I was seated, but we're not. Hmm. :scared:

Matthew
October 21st, 2017, 10:01 AM
i love the black album. i was like 6 and knew every word to that album. fuck the haters.

virms
October 21st, 2017, 4:44 PM
I've lightened my position on them over the years. Except for Lars. He is still a God awful cunt.

Bandit
October 21st, 2017, 11:27 PM
First 4 albums are flawless imo. Black album is iconic, but I dont personally enjoy listening to it really.

Rancid_Planet
October 21st, 2017, 11:55 PM
St. Anger was a work of art.

Bandit
October 22nd, 2017, 1:42 AM
I mean, I won't dispute that it's art. But there is nothing about that album I particularly enjoy.

The Beer Monster
October 25th, 2017, 3:59 PM
Saw em last night, good show. Played all the ones off the new album that I like.
On a side note, really over weight people maybe should have to buy 2 seats like on a plane.

Nash Diesel
October 25th, 2017, 4:05 PM
First 4 albums are flawless imo. Black album is iconic, but I dont personally enjoy listening to it really.

Not a fan of Kill Em All or really anything they put out after Black but I have to say....Listening to Ride through Justice, and then you turn on Black...Kind of depressing. Songs don't really have more than 3-4 parts, drums sound the same on pretty much every single song. That's not to say I don't love the album, I do love it but not as much as the other 3 I mentioned.

Props to Metallica though because next to AC/DC there isn't another rock/metal band that gets more radio play of their old shit than they do.

Donald
October 25th, 2017, 4:08 PM
If Metallica rules then man music must suck ass

The Beer Monster
October 25th, 2017, 5:03 PM
Gangnam Style.

Donald
October 25th, 2017, 5:25 PM
Gangnam Style is indeed better then anything Metallica has put out

The Beer Monster
October 25th, 2017, 5:32 PM
Obviously

Rancid_Planet
October 25th, 2017, 11:58 PM
I mean, I won't dispute that it's art. But there is nothing about that album I particularly enjoy.

I love the shit out of it as a concept. St. Anger and Some Kind of Monster are particular favorites. It was just such a daring concept album. The band is falling apart so they make an album that intentionally sounds like the band is falling apart in a very physical sense. Brilliant.

Judas Iscariot
October 26th, 2017, 2:10 AM
I GET Metallica. I GET why they're one of the biggest bands of all time, but I have never been able to really get into them. I think some of their songs are great, I've learned how to play some of their songs, but I've never gotten the big deal. I've never seen them live and they're on my bucket list, just because omg it's Metallica, but I've never really been drawn to them as a band I NEED to follow and love.

Much power to all of you who love them, though, because that's awesome they do that for you. :headbang:

Judas Iscariot
October 26th, 2017, 2:13 AM
James Hetfield seems like he'd be fun to hang out with, but I'd rather chill with Kirk.

Lars can fuck off. Awful.

The Beer Monster
October 26th, 2017, 3:09 AM
Drinking Hetfield or Sober Hetfield?

virms
October 26th, 2017, 4:03 AM
Hand sandwich Hetfield.

Murphy
October 26th, 2017, 5:21 AM
Didn't play Fade or Creeping Death, but you can't have it all when you have a back catalogue like theirs. 6 rows from the front. Awesome.

Getting in was a joke though. £100 a ticket and some missed the first hour. That said, maybe they should have just started queuing earlier. Doors opened at 6, we got in line at 6.30 and we were fine.

Nash Diesel
October 26th, 2017, 9:52 AM
I've only seen them once. It was right after Load came out. I was probably 14-15 and a guy in our band was dating a girl who's brother was older and could get us a bunch of good tickets. We wound up 3rd row and they played 3 sets. The last set they just set up some small cabs and played about 10 songs in a circle it was sweet.

And I don't care but I always name drop the older brother who got us the tickets was Josh Rand of Stone Sour. Still a good dude, put my best friend on a special guest list at a show they did hear recently. It was literally just his immediate family and then my friend and his wife.

Edit: I just remembered that I didn't even really care that much about Metallica as much as I cared about the original opener: Korn. Korn was really starting to make some noise around this time but for some odd reason they wound up having to cancel a few shows, ours being one of them. It wound up being Corrosion of Conformity but we didn't get there until halfway through their set.

Judas Iscariot
October 26th, 2017, 10:14 AM
I remember my Korn phase. Dark times. Being a middle class 13 year old is hard.

Nash Diesel
October 26th, 2017, 10:29 AM

When your Dad is putting it in your butt, I don't know how hard you would actually be in the first place.....

Bandit
October 26th, 2017, 1:29 PM
1) Corrosion of Comformity was SICK.
2) I hadn't listened to Korn in years, and just a week or two ago I was driving with my wife and I put on "Blind" and lost my shit. Not sure if it was just nostalgia, or if the song is truly that great, but man. What a song, haha.

virms
October 26th, 2017, 1:42 PM
Has to certainly be nostalgia. :D

turdpower
October 26th, 2017, 8:02 PM

You killed him mate.

turdpower
October 26th, 2017, 8:05 PM
1) Corrosion of Comformity was SICK.
2) I hadn't listened to Korn in years, and just a week or two ago I was driving with my wife and I put on "Blind" and lost my shit. Not sure if it was just nostalgia, or if the song is truly that great, but man. What a song, haha.

Honestly, Blind by Korn is horrendous and when our parents said our music was "noise", they could look back on this and be right. Even when I was 15 and into metal I thought this was fucking noise.

Donald
October 26th, 2017, 8:09 PM
You killed him mate.

I'm so sorry.

Rancid_Planet
October 26th, 2017, 11:15 PM

Let me tell y'all what it's like
Being male, middle class and white.