PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones *TV Spoilers*

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Hulkamaniac
September 2nd, 2009, 8:22 AM
Apparently the George R.R. Martin fantasy-book series A Song of Ice and Fire are going to be made into high budget television series' with one season dedicated to each book. Its so far being touted as The Sopranos in Middle Earth. I havent read the books, so dont know too much about them, but I'm excited by some great casting so far:

Sean Bean has nabbed the lead in "Game of Thrones," HBO's adaptation of the George R.R. Martin fantasy-book series. Tom McCarthy is directing; David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, who wrote the screenplay, are executive producing.

Mark Addy is in final negotiations to also join the production. Kit Harrington, Jack Gleeson and Harry Lloyd also have come aboard.

The books revolves around a battle among seven kingdoms and between two ruling families for control of the Iron Throne, the possession that ensures survival through a 40-year winter to come.

Bean will play Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark, known for his sense of honor and justice, who becomes closest adviser to King Robert (Addy).

Harrington will play Jon Snow, Bean's bastard son, and Lloyd will play Viserys, a powerless ruler who seeks to marry off his sister to a powerful king. Gleeson will play Joffrey, King Robert's son.

Peter Dinklage also is in the cast for the production, which is in the pilot stage and begins shooting in October in Ireland.

Guymon Casady, Carolyn Strauss, Vincent Gerardis and Martin also are executive producing.

"Thrones" marks the latest fantasy epic-style production for Bean. He recently wrapped shooting on "Percy Jackson & the Olympians," an adaptation of Rick Riordan's children's book. Bean, repped by CAA, also has "Black Death," a supernatural thriller set during England's first bubonic plague, in postproduction.

The most recent castings also have Jennifer Ehle (Elizabeth Bennett in the BBC Pride and Prejudice much-decorated series) and also Lena Headey (Sarah Connor Chronicles and Queen Gorgo in 300) in the series.

"Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" star Lena Headey is headed to "Game of Thrones."

Heady has closed a deal to co-star on HBO's fantasy pilot, an adaptation of the George R.R. Martin fantasy book series that chronicles a battle among seven kingdoms and two ruling families for control of the Iron Throne.

She will play Queen Cersei of House Lannister, wife of King Robert (Mark Addy) and sister of twin brother Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) and outsider younger brother Tyrion (Peter Dinkladge).

The cast of the pilot is led by previously cast Sean Bean as battle-weary Ned Stark, who leaves his home to serve the king.

The casting of Headey, who has a big fan following based on her starring turn in "Terminator," is sure to add to the already strong online interest in HBO's "Games" adaptation.

For the British actress, this is the second queen role in a screen adaptation after her role as Queen Gorgo in the feature "300," based on Frank Miller's graphic novel.

It all sounds pretty good.

brethart4ever
September 2nd, 2009, 8:27 AM
A couple of my University friends can't stop talking about these books. Its actually ridiculous. They say they are the "greatest books ever". Now, they can't stop talking about the tv series. One of my friends was trying to figure out teasers they leaked for the casting up until they announced it. I'm intrigued to read these books since I enjoy the genre and my friends are usually right about these things.

Zyphlin
September 2nd, 2009, 8:44 AM
They are amazing books.

Seriously, the most "adult" themed "fantasy" books I've ever read. The fights are as gritty and dangerous feeling as any series I've read due to the authors penchant for having zero care about killing off a "main" character when it fits the story. This is partially due to the way the story is told, through the view point of a variety of characters rather than one singular one, making no true "main" protaganist. This is also what helps add to the book, as there are few few truly "BAD" people, there is a ton of shades of grey, in part because what seems like an evil person through one perspective may be seen in a different light when shown from another.

More to the point, save for the closest guy you can call the most important character, Eddard Stark, almost everyone in the story could be a "tweener" in wrestling terms.

For the first few books, save for the initial prolog, there is very very little magic considering its a fantasy novel, though it comes bit by bit into the world. I can see the "Soprano's" reference, in part due to the adult brutal nature of it and in part due to the amount of intrigue found in it. Double crosses, deceptions, and wide reaching ploys abound in it and the author is extremely good at putting in foreshadowing that you may not get right off but once you get to the point he was foreshadowing it hits you like a truck.

If you like the Fantasy Genre, or you like political/intrigue like drama's, I'd definitely definitely recommend the books. The first 100 pages can be somewhat of a slow read as its weird jumping from character to character. However, once you hit that threshold and start identifying the characters a bit it takes hold and is a fun ride throughout.

The TV series should be pretty good, with the pilot being set up perfectly by the book with a great cliff hanger that should hook people. Casting seems to be going well so far and they nabbed a good one for Eddard, and Martin is working with them in the casting.

Now if only the fatass would get working on finishing the next book

brethart4ever
September 2nd, 2009, 8:55 AM
Yah, I was worried about this telling the story from different characters point of views. I don't know if I would enjoy that? I always like a clear protagonist in a story, someone you can identify with and get behind. I'm sure it'll take some getting used to. Since these books continue to get such high praise from people around me, I doubt these points are much of a problem. I definitely intend to read these books with some free time.

I've heard that frustration about his next book about a million times.

Hulkamaniac
September 2nd, 2009, 8:56 AM
Sounds very good indeed. Thanks for that run down.

Pete Cash
September 2nd, 2009, 8:57 AM
They are good for fantasy but thats like being pleasant smelling for shit.

Its loaded with plenty of nerd hooks. Like sex for the sake of it, wolves, etc. It really is the literary equivalent of a batman watch. I mean its batman and it tells the time, but you aren't wearing it out on a date unless you are retarded.

Hulkamaniac
September 2nd, 2009, 9:07 AM
Now you've just made it sound better.

In fairness though, I'm just excited cos Sean Bean is the lead.

And I havent been out on a date since I got my Batman Watch...OR BELT.

Alf
September 2nd, 2009, 9:09 AM
A friend of mine is editing it. Theya re shooting in Ireland appaz.

Hulkamaniac
September 2nd, 2009, 9:10 AM
Can you get me an opportunity to meet Sean Bean? I'll take him my screenplay over.

Alf
September 2nd, 2009, 9:12 AM
I can probably get you some off cuts of Bean being all Beany... he could edit you a wank reel together...

Pete Cash
September 2nd, 2009, 9:13 AM
Now you've just made it sound better.

In fairness though, I'm just excited cos Sean Bean is the lead.

And I havent been out on a date since I got my Batman Watch...OR BELT.

I thought you would like my review ;)

Its pretty interesting in all seriousness. It is a bit over the top to bring in the nerds but he does paint an interesting world. I think it will come up a treat as a show though.

Its based pretty heavily on the War of the Roses in many ways. It is a pretty cool little historical world.

Zyphlin
September 2nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
There are definitely some "Cliched" things in the books, without doubt. Some of the sex is some what unneeded but at the same time often whatever sex is occuring in the books has a purpose so its not completely gratuitous. I can't remember a number of times where there's sex involve that I'm thinking "now really, was there a need for that" though I'm rereading them now so I may end up finding ones I forgot about.

Yah, I was worried about this telling the story from different characters point of views. I don't know if I would enjoy that? I always like a clear protagonist in a story, someone you can identify with and get behind. I'm sure it'll take some getting used to. Since these books continue to get such high praise from people around me, I doubt these points are much of a problem. I definitely intend to read these books with some free time.

I've heard that frustration about his next book about a million times.

The different POV's at first really bugged me, but by the end was part that hooked me. Nothing gets you wanting to keep reading than finishing up a hot chapter only to know its another 50-80+ pages before you get to read it again. So you end up reading more, hoping to get closer to it, but before you know it now you're wanting to know what happens next for the character you just read about.

It also, strangely enough, helps you identify with the characters a bit more...at least early on when they're all still interacting with each other. Not only are you seeing the world from their eyes, but seeing how others in the world react to them. For example, Arya, the young tom boy daughter, seems like a somewhat opionated typical kid disliking stuffy life from her own perspective, a free spirited rapscallion from her brothers, and an utter brat from her sisters.

But I think what it does the most is it helps draw you into the story, rather than the characters. Its almost like you're reading to see what happens next to the world, rather than what happens to Ned, or Tyrion, or another character.

Its a stark (no pun intended) change from normal reading and takes a bit of getting accustomed to it, but once you settle in (Like I said, takes about the first 100~ pages or so) it really flows well. That said, you'll undoubtably still be able to find favorites to root for or want to read, be they POV characters or even secondary characters (I have some friends that are big fans of The Hound)

Pete Cash
September 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Lots of books are like that. As I Lay Dying for example.

Zyphlin
September 2nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Lots of books are like that. As I Lay Dying for example.

Like what? The POV or something else?

I'm in no way saying what Martin is doing/has done is unique to him or something he created. However, much of what he's done is the first time I've come upon such in the fantasy genre. Granted, I've not read everything but can only speak to my own experiences.

Pete Cash
September 2nd, 2009, 10:42 AM
The POV thing.

I don't read a lot of fantasy but doesn't the same shit also happen in The Wheel of Time.

Bad Collin
September 2nd, 2009, 10:49 AM
The books are amazing, the cast looks great and the leaked script is very promising. I am erect.

Zyphlin
September 2nd, 2009, 12:40 PM
The POV thing.

I don't read a lot of fantasy but doesn't the same shit also happen in The Wheel of Time.

I think it might, though I'm not positive. Wheel of Time is one of those strange fantasies that I know I'm supposed to like and WANT to read, but I've just never had the urge to get my ass up and actually go do it.

Though I've got to imagine its better than the horrendous Terry Goodkind crap that went the opposite direction you're supposed to go in serieses, starting okay and then getting horribly shitty.

Alf
August 3rd, 2010, 5:26 AM
I'm reading this at the mo...

And someone I know is editing the series in Norn Ireland. They are shooting most of it out there too. I'm going to try and go out there as an assistant editor for him... he's got to pull some strings though.

El Capitano Gatisto
August 3rd, 2010, 5:28 AM
No one wants you here. Just stay where you are and you'll be ok.

Alf
August 3rd, 2010, 5:34 AM
I'm going to come and visit you. I'll bring Sean Bean.

Alf
September 14th, 2010, 5:37 AM
YouTube - Game Of Thrones: Behind The Scenes Featurette (HBO)

Behind the scenes...

YouTube - Game Of Thrones Official "Raven" Tease (HBO)

New teaser...

I've just finished the 4th book. Wowzer. It's so fucking good. I hope they do it justice...

It's perfect for HBO really. It's really complex, political, a lot of stuff happens off-screen (the wire), it's really violent, sexy, and sweary (True Blood, Deadwood), and it's got Bean in it.

Cewsh
September 14th, 2010, 8:05 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of the books (a little heavy on rape, incest and every decent character getting murdered for me), but this show looks like it's going to be something to serious keep tabs on. :yes:

Mik
September 15th, 2010, 3:57 PM
HBO can do no wrong.

Alf
September 17th, 2010, 5:50 AM
For anyone who has read the books...

http://blogoficeandfire.blogspot.com/2009_05_01_archive.html

This guy is reading through the books slowly and blogging his reactions. It is very fucking funny indeed.

Judas Iscariot
September 17th, 2010, 8:01 PM
I just started reading yesterday and I'm halfway through the first book. Pretty fucking fantastic. I've owned it for years, but never started it in earnest.

Cewsh
September 17th, 2010, 8:05 PM
The first 4/5ths of the first book is as fine of a fantasy tale as you'll ever see.

Beer-Belly
September 17th, 2010, 8:58 PM
But all the likable or cool characters die? That's not promising.

Bad Collin
September 18th, 2010, 5:15 AM
Not all of them, the deaths give a great sense that anything could happen unlike most fantasy books.

Mik
September 18th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I looked at getting the first book at Waterstones today, but it was too thick and there were too many and the print was too small. I cant be bothered reading a first book that looks like such an uncomfortable read. So I think that I'm just going to start the Dark Tower series instead.

Alf
September 18th, 2010, 1:33 PM
I looked at getting the first book at Waterstones today, but it was too thick and there were too many and the print was too small. I cant be bothered reading a first book that looks like such an uncomfortable read. So I think that I'm just going to start the Dark Tower series instead.

Oh my god Mikles. Are you trying to make me hate you? Stop blooding.

Dark Tower books get proper thick. Thicker than your ma's knob.

For fuck sake just read it will you. You'll absolutely love it.

And lads, spoiler tags for the benefit of the uninitiated please.

Alf
September 18th, 2010, 1:36 PM

Not at all in my opinion.

I like the idea that no one is safe and that anyone can get it at any time for whatever reason. I love the idea that the plans that these characters make not only go wrong, but got supernova wrong...

I don't know how far in you are so I'm going to assume you've only read AGOT. So...

I don't think Eddard is a particularly cool character, he's pretty straight and boring.

Tyrion is my favourite POV character by a country mile. The man is a legend.

Cewsh
September 18th, 2010, 1:37 PM

Not all of them, the deaths give a great sense that anything could happen unlike most fantasy books.

These are essentially the two points of view that everyone has after reading the books.

Either you'll put it down in disgust after they mercilessly fuck with your favorite characters, or you'll delight in seeing how unpredictable they make things.

I'm in the first camp, but I can definitely understand the second.

Mik
September 18th, 2010, 1:43 PM
Oh my god Mikles. Are you trying to make me hate you? Stop blooding.

Dark Tower books get proper thick. Thicker than your ma's knob.

For fuck sake just read it will you. You'll absolutely love it.

And lads, spoiler tags for the benefit of the uninitiated please.

But they start thin, so I can read the first one and figure out whether I like it before investing 700 pages in a series of an awkward book to read that I may or may not like. After I've used the final Dark Tower books to build back up to reading thick books I may well start on the Game of Thrones ones after that.

Pablo Diablo
September 18th, 2010, 1:45 PM
Mik if you do get to reading the Dark Tower books I suggest waiting until you've finished the second one before deciding if you want to follow through or not. I read the first one and didn't think it was anything too special kept reading because the board recommended it. After the second one though I was hooked.

I might start this series once I finish Huck Finn my second book for the month. Gotta finish it before the 1st of Da Month so better go through that.

Mik
September 18th, 2010, 1:45 PM
The first two arent that thick, so I bought them both. I think that I can commit for that long.

Alf
September 18th, 2010, 2:01 PM
Yep, the second one got me proper hooked. It's a thriller essentially. Cracking.

I've been looking at screencaps from the previews and some of the casting is ace.

The girl playing Dany is fiiiiiit...

http://www.westeros.org/GoT/Graphics/Gallery/Previews/GameOfThrones_BehindTheScenes01_Screencap32.png

Big picture. Look out.

Pablo Diablo
November 7th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Right so I just finished the first book. It's pretty darn good. I'll be picking up the next one when I think I have some free time coming up.

One thing I noticed while reading it though is that it took me about quarter of the way before I was fully able to sort out who was who and even then there would still be some times where I had to stop and think about who they were talking about.

That has nothing to do with the book itself, just thought I'd share. I might even pick up the second book tonight.

Alf
November 28th, 2010, 7:08 AM
I have it on excent authority that a new promo for the TV series should air tonight/tomorrow.

And HBO have done a deal with Sky so we'll be able to get HBO on sky very soon.

And they're just finishing shooting now, they have a rough cut of 5 eps, and all effects work needs to be done.

Miotch
November 28th, 2010, 3:41 PM
Alf I'm about 1/4 the way through the first book and I think you want to fuck your own sister.

Alf
November 28th, 2010, 5:27 PM
Ahaha, that's some quick reading there Meeechoch.

I want you to want me to want to fuck your sister.

Judas Iscariot
November 29th, 2010, 12:34 AM
The second preview was FUCKING FANTASTIC.

I can't find it online yet, though.

CHIGGITY CHECK IT

It's on the HBO site:

http://www.hbo.com/#/game-of-thrones/about/video/clip-preview.html/eNo1jUEKwjAQACnFgH7By97ELwQ8SA8eBCnoB7bN2gbSbEw31R 79uVbb6zDDbIq83Q-WEB89ulFsXbAXesmOnVlQiQ1dsKP8kbM6Xyla6jWcvgT4Drc2s p9A4WyAMtJg6aneq372mtmTxcOKk2j4XTXUUxX+FWjoW4ykgbq KjNpiEg4Ox4PEROss+wATFjyn

Alf
November 29th, 2010, 6:56 AM
YouTube - Game Of Thrones - trailer

Winter is coming you cunts.

Mik
November 29th, 2010, 8:04 AM
Looks class. So bleak...and English.

Alf
November 29th, 2010, 8:38 AM
I don't even think that trailer captures the world enough, but a lot of people seem impressed by it. That's good, because when it eventually comes people will be blown away.

Sex, violence, rape, swearing, political intrigue, WAR.

Lovely.

Miotch
November 29th, 2010, 1:28 PM
You forgot incest you fucking pervert.

Bad Collin
November 29th, 2010, 1:34 PM
I can't wait for this. Hopefully he will finish the next book this century as well.

Miotch
November 29th, 2010, 1:45 PM
How many books are there?

Alf
November 30th, 2010, 8:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/GameofThronesJoe#p/a/A821ECBA46487650/2/g7-E7bc4VMc

LOLZ

This guy is quite funny, he's campaining to get on the show.

Miotchtchtch, there are 5 currently I think, and another 2 or 3 to come.

Alf
December 8th, 2010, 8:04 AM
YouTube - Inside Game Of Thrones (HBO)

Fuck yeah... it's looking good.

Judas Iscariot
December 8th, 2010, 4:54 PM
Apparently pushed back to April? Lame. But probably for the best.

Alf
December 8th, 2010, 7:35 PM
I know they've finished shooting so I don't think that's for production reasons. Maybe to catch sweeps? I don't know. You yanks love postponing TV for no real reason.

Judas Iscariot
December 9th, 2010, 12:15 AM
There are February sweeps, too, though, I think.

I know they recast one of the major characters recently, so maybe it has something to do with that.

I figured having a show premier during winter when the show takes place in a place where it's always winter made sense for starting in January.

They probably want to push it back because just as it ends the next seasons of Boardwalk Empire, Bored To Death and Eastbound and Down are going to start, but the way I figure it they should want to space these series out some more.

I just started seeing previews for some miniseries with Kate Winslet come on the HBO that's starting soon, so maybe that pushed it back?

I DEMAND ANSWERS, because I want to fucking watch this, as it looks fantastic.

Miotch
December 9th, 2010, 1:11 AM
Which character have they recast?

I imagine HBO pushed it to line up with the season of Treme in an effort to win Sunday night from April to June.

Alf
December 9th, 2010, 6:18 AM
Who have they re-cast?

And the show is set in a long summer, winter is coming

Judas Iscariot
December 9th, 2010, 11:04 AM
They recast Daenerys but that was back in May. Shooting didn't start til the end of July, so I guess April makes sense.

STILL LAME.

Alf
December 9th, 2010, 11:09 AM
The new danny is ridiculously fit though.

Cewsh
December 9th, 2010, 11:18 AM
The original really didn't look right at all anyway. The new one is a better fit.

I'm so glad they're pretending she's 16 in the show, though. The whole plot gets a little hard to put on tv if she's 13. 16 is bad, but 13 is just...yeah.

Miotch
December 13th, 2010, 3:16 PM
Alf you cunt I wanted to let you know that I just put the other 3 books on my ipad you cunt.

Alf
December 14th, 2010, 6:09 AM
Ahaha, victory! I've got my hooks in you.

Just another victim.

Alf
December 14th, 2010, 7:13 AM
Who is your favourite character thus far Miotch?

You have some awesome stuff to come.

Miotch
December 14th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I put them on there in more of a 'in case I read everything on there and watch everything on there and am somehow stuck out in the wilderness with no civilization within 300 miles of me' sort of thing.

Favorite character? Hmm. Jon Snow is pretty fucking great. Ned is the fucking man too, though he does have trouble seeing the 'big picture'.

Alf
December 14th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Mate, just admit that you love it and you are into it and you want to know what happens.

Just admit that much to me.

Miotch
December 14th, 2010, 2:35 PM
It's a pretty good story, and it's well written. While it's not even close to a genre I usually would read, I'm enjoying it.

Miotch
December 14th, 2010, 2:36 PM
Have you gone to see 128 hours yet you cunt?

Rip
January 4th, 2011, 5:04 PM
This is being listed as one of the new shows on SKY Atlantic (channel starts 24th January)

Cool.

Mik
January 4th, 2011, 5:39 PM
Have you gone to see 128 hours yet you cunt?

You think that he needed an extra hour or something?

Miotch
January 4th, 2011, 6:10 PM
Director's cut. Get with it.

Bert
January 8th, 2011, 1:57 AM
... Winter is coming. April 17, 2011. Game of Thrones. HBO. Be there.

:hyper:

Pablo Diablo
March 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Right so I just finished the 3rd book, Storm of Swords, and I don't know if I want to start the next one yet. I have it on my kindle, but I'm worried about how it's written.

I know that it and the next book are supposed to happen at the same time and that it was only split because it would have been too long (which looking at the page count of a Feast of Crows seems like it was going to be).

I'm thinking of waiting until closer to the release of the next book and maybe reading it in June. Should I wait or should I just go ahead and read it?

Alf
March 29th, 2011, 5:38 AM
Go ahead and read it.

It definitely feels like a two parter but there's good stuff in there.

How did you feel about:

the red wedding?

Pablo Diablo
March 29th, 2011, 8:32 AM
Fuck me.

The Red Wedding was fucking awesome I thought. I mean you'd think at this point I'd be ready to expect anything, but nope. That one still got me by the balls. Although I don't know if you remember exactly how the 3rd book ended but in the epilogue I think having Catelyn back kind of ruined the Red Wedding for me. As much as we are led to be pro-King Robb, Catelyn was the one we followed, so her death was the one that hit me more. Either way, I'll probably take a break to let my school come to another break before I start up the 4th one. If I didn't have them on my e-reader I'd be so intimidated by their size.

Also a full 2 minute trailer for Game of Thrones

YouTube - Game Of Thrones "Iron Throne" Trailer (HBO)

Winkle van Tinkle
March 29th, 2011, 9:03 AM
this all looks a bit silly to be honest

Miotch
March 29th, 2011, 1:43 PM
I hate Alf and Pablo for talking about stuff that I haven't gotten to yet under spoiler tags. Jerks.

Winkle van Tinkle
March 29th, 2011, 2:58 PM
The spoiler just says that Alf's mum loves it in the shitter.

Miotch
March 29th, 2011, 3:04 PM
that's hardly a spoiler

Mik
March 29th, 2011, 3:07 PM
this all looks a bit silly to be honest

Yeah mate, Sean Bean is in it to be honest. Thats all you need to know.

Winkle van Tinkle
March 30th, 2011, 8:58 AM
Has he now stopped doing protest marches to the Houses of Parliament to save Sheffield Uniteds Premiership status. What an egotistical prat.

Hopefully he'll sack this show off and get back to making more crackers like Outlaw.

Winkle van Tinkle
March 30th, 2011, 9:04 AM
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/06_02/ShefUnitedBean_468x312.jpg

Arrogant wanker, who failed.

Mik
March 30th, 2011, 10:55 AM
He's happy to show support for the things he believes in. You should appreciate that.

Alf
March 30th, 2011, 10:57 AM
He's a nihilist, Mik, he doesn't believe in anything.

Mik
March 30th, 2011, 3:33 PM
Cuncha? He is a horrible son of a bitch.

Tyson
April 1st, 2011, 1:44 AM
Just saw the HBO trailer. Fuck yes, I'm in. :yes:

This Saturday before the Final Four, I'm headed to the bookstore.

Pablo Diablo
April 1st, 2011, 2:27 PM
Just so you know, don't expect to run through them all quickly. They're some long ass books. But lovely books.

Winkle van Tinkle
April 2nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
All a bit too dungeons and dragons for my liking.

Alf
April 5th, 2011, 5:45 AM
http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html?view=grid&vid=1170886&autoplay=true

The opening 12 minutes... looking good.

Zyphlin
April 5th, 2011, 12:05 PM
The opening 12 minutes made me that much more impatient for the series to come out. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those shows where you almost want to wait until the entire seasons done so you can sit and watch it in one setting because you'll be too annoyed waiting week to week. It just looks fantastic.

The Wall looks great, the first delivery of Winter is Coming was picture perfect, and the entire scene of the beheading was spot on. I liked the added scene of the Starks as well, does a good job and quickly giving you a bit of a feel for the various characters.

Pablo Diablo
April 5th, 2011, 12:06 PM
The opening 12 minutes made me that much more impatient for the series to come out.

Precisely the reason I'm not watching the sneak peak, as much as it kills me.

Miotch
April 5th, 2011, 2:22 PM
It's a 2 week wait. Not a big deal. Worth watching the preview.

Mik
April 5th, 2011, 2:51 PM
I am not watching the preview because I want to go into this cold. I dont know anything about it. Except one very horrible thing that I wish I didnt know.

Alf
April 6th, 2011, 5:32 AM
The preview was ace. The wall looks superb. It looks even better than I imagined myself.

The gore was a bit surprising for me. The bodies all arranged in that shape was very cool...

I am a bit worried how this will work with the kids growing and that. The Walt problem is going to be massive for Arya and Bran.

Alf
April 8th, 2011, 5:41 AM
YouTube - Making Game Of Thrones (HBO)

25 minute making of... it gives a nice little background but if you are new to the series then I'd be more interested to see what you pick up from the show itself rather than what HBO put out to prep you.

Cewsh
April 8th, 2011, 9:39 AM
Just saw the opening 15 minutes on their site, and fuck man. This show is going to be some serious quality.

Alf
April 17th, 2011, 12:25 PM
It's tonight in yankyville isn't it?

Exciting!

Marlon Dingle
April 17th, 2011, 1:32 PM
I'll be watching this.

Cewsh
April 17th, 2011, 1:38 PM
So excited for this.

Judas Iscariot
April 17th, 2011, 4:33 PM
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Alf
April 18th, 2011, 5:34 AM
It's very heavy handed with the exposition... but that's to be expected I suppose.

Judas Iscariot
April 18th, 2011, 8:54 AM
They've got a LOOTTTT of people to introduce and it's gonna be hard for viewers know who the hell is who and what's going on through the first few episodes, so once that's out of the way I expect it to pick up quite a bit.

That said, I thought last night was brilliant.

That broad playing Daenerys is SMOKING.

Alf
April 18th, 2011, 9:07 AM
I was really surprised how much info they fit in. I think it'll be one of those typical HBO things where they drip feed you bits of info (well, like they do in the book) and a second watch of the series makes it all more cohesive.

Yeah, Dany is bloody lovely. I'd love to bend her over and Dothraki her. It'll be good to see that whole situation pan out.

It's interesting how I've been pronouncing names completely wrong in my head when reading the series.

Tyrion is a legend. I can't wait to see him develop.

And seeing Robb... fuck me, I can't wait for the red wedding.

Zyphlin
April 18th, 2011, 9:38 AM
The Red Wedding visualized is going to either absolutely be fucking amazing or utter shit...there is just going to be no inbetween for it. None at all.

I thought it was exceptionally well done. I very much liked the opening and the attempt to give it a "board game" type feel (at least that's what the little machine animation made me think). I hope each episode it changes a bit, with the locations that are prominent in that episode being built up.

I do hope that new viewers are able to keep up and keep with it. The ending thankfully will hopefully have people tuning in next week even if they were kind of iffy. I remember on my first read I was bored, confused, and uninterested in the book till page 100. I realized later that it was because you're thrust into this immersive, vast, knowledge filled world with dozens of characters and little reason right off to care about them because the author doesn't spoon feed you enough yet to get the full scope (and with that scope being so big, you just CAN'T). Right around page 100 though it hooked me. I believe it took me two weeks of reading on and off in my reading stall (See: crapper) to get through those first few pages. I believe I finished the rest of the book in 3 days as I carried it with me constantly trying to read in every free moment I had. And on my second reading of the book, the first 100 pages meant SO much more and I picked up on so many more things because suddenly, this time, I HAD the scope of it already.

I imagine the TV series is going to be much like that. I think it'll take people till the 2nd or 3rd episode to finally settle in and enjoy it unfolding rather than attempting to watch and understand. I figure the pace should improve a bit 3 or 4 episodes in as well when less flavor needs to be inserted to give people the scope and lore of the world and the story can become more of a focus.

Overall though, I loved it. My only slight complaint was not having the "yes" from Dany at the end of the No's like in the book (always read to me as her not necessarily wanting it, but realizing that this giant man IS capable of being gentle...if demanding...and is not the scary monster she thought), as I imagine that could help quiet some of the new viewers who may be extremely bothered by the wedding night scene. But really though, its a nitpick only because I've seen some people turned off the show by that. It really was great.

I can't think of a single actor or character that came off poorly here, from Eddard down to someone like Benjen, they were all done exceptionally well. Viserys was I think the person that may've stole the show for me in the first episode....the actor playing him just exuded that creepy, delusional aura perfectly with just the hints of the psychotic nature that lies beneath when he calmly and almost lovingly delivers the "all his men and horses" line.

Which, lines...that was the other thing that made me happy. I saw it in the preview already but I was extremely happy that they had the conversation about why EDDARD needed to do the execution. I did miss not having the "brave/scared" conversation. And the comment about deaths at a dothraki wedding is one of my favorite in the first book so I was happy to see that in as well.

The new scenes were good, particularly both involving Jamie Lannister (with Tyrion at the brothel and Eddard at the banquet).

Next Sunday can't come fast enough.

Derek
April 18th, 2011, 9:46 AM
It had me hooked right after I saw a dwarf in a whorehouse.

Miotch
April 18th, 2011, 1:22 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed it. The only problem I have is...

The direwolves are still pups, and presumably in ep 2 when Ned and the girls are going south Arya's wolf should be vicious enough to attack the prince.

Other than that I thought everything was near perfect.

Judas Iscariot
April 18th, 2011, 2:24 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed it. The only problem I have is...

The direwolves are still pups, and presumably in ep 2 when Ned and the girls are going south Arya's wolf should be vicious enough to attack the prince.

Other than that I thought everything was near perfect.

Bran's is also supposed to stand guard over him, but they did make mention that they grow fast, so I guess it's feasible they're hit a growth spurt.

Bad Collin
April 18th, 2011, 5:25 PM
That was fucking awesome. The casting bods have done some great work there. As mentioned Viserys is perfect and although they didn't feature much Theon and Joffrey look like the utter cunts they should be.

The 'things I do for love' scene was brilliantly done. And Dany, Jesus Christ she is stunning.

Miotch
April 18th, 2011, 5:35 PM
I did think the climbing thing looked a bit camp. I loved the Dothraki wedding rape scene though. So carnal. So perfect.

Pablo Diablo
April 18th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Joffrey is a right cunt of a looking character. Excellent casting. I really enjoy the casting of everyone so far. Although I always imagined Robb to be a little more...assuming, not sure if that's what I really want to say, but he didn't stand out as much as I thought he would. Also Sansa is just as annoying as I thought she would be. Loving it. I hope people love it too so that we can get all the books done in this format.

Andru
April 18th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Up until last night I have never heard of this show or the books it is based on, So I really wasnt sure what to expect.

While I was confused at times, It was pretty amazing! I went to HBO.com to read up on the series, the characters, the synopsis, and the environment. And after just one episode and a little bit of research, I am extremely intrigued to read these books. And that is incredible as I hate reading!

Greatly looking forward to watching this series grow :yes:

Judas Iscariot
April 18th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Definitely read the books.

The first episode did so well by the book, minus those little things that are always going to come up among fans as mentioned in this thread, that I wish The Lord of the Rings had been given a similar treatment as opposed to the big screen.

Now of course as it expands I'm sure there are going to be things that grow more and more apart from the books, but having Martin on board with the creation of the series eases my fears with that. Sure, I'll bet even he'll give in on some things for the adaptation, which is inevitable, but having the author there who is so gun-ho in his overseeing of his vision can only be a great thing.

Game of Thrones is what, 500 pages (forget the count)? And it's being given 10 hours.

Imagine if Fellowship of the Ring were given that sort of treatment?

Can you imagine?

CAN YOU IMAGINE?

And if Tolkien were resurrected from the grave and overseeing it?

Oh, fuck me sideways. I've just made myself angrier over the LotR films, and didn't think that was possible.

But anyway, back to Game of Thrones, it's fantastic thus far.

Alf
April 19th, 2011, 4:57 AM
Bran's is also supposed to stand guard over him, but they did make mention that they grow fast, so I guess it's feasible they're hit a growth spurt.

Yep, but the wolves were still very young at that point anyway. They weren't nearly full grown

And about Robb... I like the fact he isn't very assuming yet. He is massively thrust into a role he isn't ready for, and his casting will help sell the fact. I can't wait for some of the upcoming stuff with him

Pablo Diablo
April 19th, 2011, 8:50 AM
One thing I worry about though. *DON'T READ SPOILER UNLESS YOU'VE FINISHED THE FIRST BOOK*

Is that they'll somehow keep Ned alive. Surely they can't do that. I mean I expect some things will be different from the book, but that can't be one of them.

By the way have we seen Hodor yet or has Hodor even been cast?

And Ice is one badass motherfucking sword.

Alf
April 19th, 2011, 9:17 AM
So... HBO apparently envisige this as a 10-12 year run, covering all the books. They don't want to try and make is a 1 season = 1 book thing either.

Apparently the first season is a slow burn like a lot of HBO shows. It has some immense eps and few drab ones.

(this is from the guy who started off as the editor and now runs their digital rushes department for Thrones).

It'll be interesting if they keep the A Game Of Thrones title for each season... I think they probably will.

Alf
April 19th, 2011, 9:17 AM
One thing I worry about though. *DON'T READ SPOILER UNLESS YOU'VE FINISHED THE FIRST BOOK*

Is that they'll somehow keep Ned alive. Surely they can't do that. I mean I expect some things will be different from the book, but that can't be one of them.

By the way have we seen Hodor yet or has Hodor even been cast?

And Ice is one badass motherfucking sword.

Not a chance.

Zyphlin
April 19th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Yes, Hodor was cast. He was the very very large person standing with all the Starks and Winterfell folk when the King's entourage arrived. Had grayish black hair

Pete Cash
April 19th, 2011, 2:13 PM
It was pretty good I thought. Why does every fantasy series require a wolf.

Mik
April 19th, 2011, 3:47 PM
I thought that it was excellent. Really enjoyed it and didnt find it too difficult to follow at all.

Can I make a suggestion/request? Could we put 'Spoilers' in the title of this thread and could we then discuss anything that happened WITHIN the episode of the week openly within this thread (and everyone knows not to come into the thread until they have seen that week's episode) and then anything pertaining to an upcoming episode spoiler, or a book spoiler, can we fit within a marked spoiler? I dont know about anyone else but with myself I havent read the book and dont know much about it but I'm worried about reading something that suggests what might be coming up or worse not know whether I should be clicking a spoiler because it talks about things within the episode I've just seen, or not clicking it because its to do with something in the book that I shouldnt be reading.

So... HBO apparently envisige this as a 10-12 year run, covering all the books. They don't want to try and make is a 1 season = 1 book thing either.

Apparently the first season is a slow burn like a lot of HBO shows. It has some immense eps and few drab ones.

(this is from the guy who started off as the editor and now runs their digital rushes department for Thrones).

It'll be interesting if they keep the A Game Of Thrones title for each season... I think they probably will.

That would be fucking awesome.

Zyphlin
April 19th, 2011, 3:49 PM
HBO just extended it for a 2nd season.

Total Viewers on Sunday appears to be a bit over 4 million between the three airings, with the premier getting 2.2 million. While this was less than last years Boardwalk Empire, it was also going up against the NBA playoffs (Boston vs New York specifically) as well as had a worse lead in (Mildred Peirce as compared to true blood I believe). Indeed, the 2.2 million actually was more than double what Peirce's viewership was in the hour before (1 million). Not bad.

Mik
April 19th, 2011, 3:59 PM
The problem will be how many drop off over the course of the season, which tends to happen with big multi-strand narrative ensembles. However, HBO hasnt really been a network to drop shows that are critically successful just because they arent necessarily profitable. I'd bet that this is going to make a small fortune on box set. It just depends how much it costs to make it as to how long it'll be allowed to continue I'd suggest.

Ringo
April 19th, 2011, 4:16 PM
Enjoyed the first episode. Good start. Some interesting characters developing already. :yes:

I've heard mixed things about the books but I feel compelled to pick up the first one now. Definitely fancy a bit of fantasy right now.

Cewsh
April 19th, 2011, 4:21 PM
Well the problem with the books for me has always been that I hate how Martin writes and the 800 year break between books.

The series effectively removes those issues and leaves us with the really, really compelling story and mythology. So i'm in 100%.

Ringo
April 19th, 2011, 4:22 PM
Yep, exactly. :yes:

Martin's writing style is irrelevant when it comes to this series.

Miotch
April 19th, 2011, 5:08 PM

So you're saying the show will finish up right around the time the last book is released.

Wonderful.

Zyphlin
April 19th, 2011, 5:09 PM
In regards to profitability, GoT has apparently been a major success internationally for HBO, already making up for what I've been hearing about 1/3rd of its production costs just based on that. Definitely a bonus in its favor.

And I'd highly recommend the books. As I tell anyone that picks it up...fight through for the first 100 pages. The book is hard to get into at first as the prologue is hugely different than everything you read right after it, and you get thrown so many characters and bits of history with no context that it falls flat. However, once it picks up it picks up QUICK and all those things that seemed flat begin to show enormous depth.

But yeah, if you start reading you'll get to make it through book 5 which comes out in June....and then have to wait an age and a half for the next one. My only hope is with the HBO series it lights a fire under his ass (or under his publisher to light one under him) to get them out a bit quicker

Miotch
April 19th, 2011, 5:20 PM
I thought 5 was going to be the last book.

Dubya
April 19th, 2011, 5:25 PM
Really enjoyed the first episode a lot. I'm in for the season.

Bad Collin
April 19th, 2011, 6:12 PM
I thought 5 was going to be the last book.

I think there are going to be seven. On his blog he said that he wrote half of the last book while writing this latest one.

Cewsh
April 19th, 2011, 6:15 PM
Martin has apparently said that the first season WILL be the entirety of Game of Thrones, and as far as we're aware...

Sean Bean is only signed on to play Ned Stark for 9 episodes. Meaning that seemingly, number 9 is where he dies.

Pablo Diablo
April 19th, 2011, 6:50 PM
That's a book spoiler for those who want to know. Although I imagine that will be the custom. Anything in the book under a spoiler although even those should probably be marked by which book you had to read to as an example

Spoiler from the Third Book so don't read Mitch and anyone who hasn't read the 3rd book
While just mentioning the Red Wedding probably won't spoil anything. Having it associated with Robb as was done earlier might be considered spoilery. And that's one thing you don't want spoiled, was a complete shock to me.

Cewsh
April 19th, 2011, 6:59 PM
Agreed.

Aussie_Outlaw
April 20th, 2011, 9:46 AM
Finally got around to watching the first episode. They do really well to introduce that large amount of main characters and all the relationships. I've read some people say it was a little slow (and reviews seem to say it's the weakest of the opening 6 episodes) but it's pretty much paced the same as any other HBO (or AMC) series.

I liked it, they did well and I want to know what happens next. Though I can do without the cliffhanger as I feels the kid will survive with his dog's help. (I haven't really bothered with the names yet, and I pretty much nickname all the characters until they smack me over the head with their real names)

Not having read the books I'd have to agree with Mik on the idea that book spoilers be spoilered (as well as upcoming episodes). Perhaps with the type of spoiler they are, and episodes which have aired in the US are fair game.

Alf
April 20th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Yep, agreed about spoilers. I love this series and I don't want any of you getting something spoiled. There is some great stuff coming up.

So. We should mark book spoilers and show spoilers. And yes, we should stick to the LOST convention of if it has aired in the states it is free reign for discussion out of spoilers. So any UK nob that ploughs in on a Monday morning can't whinge.

Pete Cash
April 20th, 2011, 6:02 PM
Enjoyed the first episode. Good start. Some interesting characters developing already. :yes:

I've heard mixed things about the books but I feel compelled to pick up the first one now. Definitely fancy a bit of fantasy right now.

It is so nerdy that cheeto dust and mountain dew essence will burst from the pages but *FOR A MODERN DAY FANTASY* it is probably the pick of them. Just be warned that Martin is a grotesque fat nerd so hes going to slide in a lot of things nerds are into like rape.

Mik
April 20th, 2011, 6:06 PM
I LOVE rape.

Pablo Diablo
April 20th, 2011, 8:40 PM
Finished A Feast of Crows today.

Spoiler about it
I really don't know how I feel about it. Really seemed like a nothing sort of chapter to me. I find the stuff they didn't talk about to be the more exciting stuff. The Wall, Dany, that's the stuff that interests me more.

Cewsh
April 20th, 2011, 8:44 PM
Feast For Crows Spoiler Possibly.

Well its one enormous fuck off book separated into 2, so the next one is going to have all of them, but yeah, I felt the same way.

Pete Cash
April 25th, 2011, 5:25 AM
Absolutely superb episode that one imo.

Pete Cash
April 25th, 2011, 5:33 AM
spoiler for the books

Martin will die of being an obese nerd before he finishes the next book. soz.

Mik
April 25th, 2011, 7:21 AM
Have you read the books then P-Dizzle?

Pete Cash
April 25th, 2011, 7:26 AM
Yep, I surely have. Its not that bad and Martin does a lot of things right and he isn't afraid to subvert the genre a bit.

I have found the TV show more gripping but I don't like the over the top examples of telling not showing you get in fantasy. I prefer my prose to be less descriptive. If a paragraph starts talking about food or a group of people in the book you can probably just skip an entire page.

Zyphlin
April 25th, 2011, 8:09 AM
A little thing, but I absolutely loved the Hounds delivery of the "he ran" line.

Arya chasing off the dire wolf managed to be almost as gutting as in the book. I don't know why, but that's about the only scene in a book that had me feeling just horrible reading. Maybe I just got a soft spot for dogs and pets.

I wanted to Smack Joffery simply based on his looks last episode. The moment he spoke it increased ten fold. So watching Tyrion smack him around and him whimper like a little girl was absolutely outstanding and I literally laughed out loud at the sound.

Enjoyed the episode. You can't have every one end with the cliff hanger like the first, but all in all it wrapped itself up nicely. Question about the first book though. Am I crazy in thinking he used Ice to put down Lady? Minor thing, but just for some reason I was expecting him to ask someone to bring him Ice.

Miotch
April 25th, 2011, 2:29 PM
Loved it. Superbly done. I am incredibly shocked at how closely they're following things.

The only minor difference I can come up with (and correct me if I'm wrong) from the book was

Jon didn't accompany Benjen to the wall, did he? I am pretty sure Benjen left first and was already gone by the time Snow got to the wall?

Pablo Diablo
April 25th, 2011, 3:02 PM
I think you're right about the spoiler Mitch.

Because
Book spoiler
by the time snow gets up to the wall Benjen has gone missing if I'm remembering correctly.

Edit: Just checked and we were both wrong. They did go together

Miotch
April 25th, 2011, 3:11 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Eh, whatever. It's been a while since I read the beginning of book 1.

I'm about 3/4 the way through Clash of Kings. Shit is getting really good.

Cewsh
April 25th, 2011, 3:11 PM
Yeah, Ben takes him to the Wall because they have a talk or two up there.

Miotch
April 25th, 2011, 3:42 PM
WELL THATS ME SORTED ISNT IT THEN

Cewsh
April 25th, 2011, 3:46 PM
THAT'S RIGHT BITCH SUCK IT

Miotch
April 25th, 2011, 3:52 PM
Feels more like a proposition than an insult coming from you and frankly it makes me a bit uncomfortable

Cewsh
April 25th, 2011, 3:56 PM
If i'm really ugly it may very well be both, actually.

Zyphlin
April 25th, 2011, 4:07 PM
AGOT Spoiler
Yep, they go up together. I'm pretty sure they still have to have a talk where Jon gets to learn the hard way that "Uncle Benjen" is just simply benjen, brother of the nights watch, and Jon is no more his family than anyone else on the wall once they're there.

Entire Book Series spoilers
As much as I'm loving the series, I'm really looking forward to the 5th book to come out. We're getting close enough to the finish that I figure there's got to be some confirmation as to the theories of Jon's parantage. Not to mention looking forward to seeing what occured with the cliff hanger with Brienne, and whether my guess at Sandor being alive and who turn out to be true. I just hope he doesn't take another 5 years for Book 6.

Cewsh
April 25th, 2011, 4:21 PM
Book Spoiler

In fairness, Martin has suggested that there may be as many as 5 more books left in the series. He may have been fucking around, but i'm not sure we're overly close to the end or even the climax yet.

Zyphlin
April 25th, 2011, 4:36 PM
Book Spoiler

In fairness, Martin has suggested that there may be as many as 5 more books left in the series. He may have been fucking around, but i'm not sure we're overly close to the end or even the climax yet.

Wouldn't surprise me. Considering this was supposed to start as a trilogy with the first book ending in the Red Wedding and that was...what? Pretty much near the end of the third book I believe? I wouldn't be too surprised to see it balloon up to like 10 books

Mik
April 25th, 2011, 7:30 PM
Man this thread is frustrating.

Loved the second episode, hate Joffrey.

Miotch
April 25th, 2011, 8:55 PM
Mik are you reading the book?

Pete Cash
April 26th, 2011, 1:35 AM
Joffrey is a little shit and he is just going to get worse. You are going to want to climb through your telly and kill him yourself in a few weeks time. Trust me.

Pete Cash
April 26th, 2011, 1:36 AM
I think MAYBE we should follow somethingawfuls approach and have a second thread dedicated entirely for the TV show ??? with a no spoiler rule besides what has aired in the US.

Pete Cash
April 26th, 2011, 1:57 AM
Let me point out some lovely imagery which I don't think spoils much. The Dire Wolf is the sigil of House Stark. Each of the Stark children has a Dire Wolf including Jon (who has an albino one rather than the grey ones on the sigil)

The first child of the Starks to lose their dire wolf is Sasha. Perhaps some interesting foreshadowing ;)

Also the original dire wolf was killed by a stag. The stag being the symbol of

Baratheon

Mik
April 26th, 2011, 7:06 AM
Mik are you reading the book?

Nope. They are too long for me to even think about at the moment whilst I've got The Dark Tower series to get through and also a work book club I'm in. Perhaps when I'm finish the King books I might, but I am kind of hoping that the TV show does as good as job as I'll need for now.

I think MAYBE we should follow somethingawfuls approach and have a second thread dedicated entirely for the TV show ??? with a no spoiler rule besides what has aired in the US.

Might be a good idea. Its making this thread difficult because almost ALL of the discussion so far is involving book spoilers and they arent marked saying roughly which book or when the spoiler is from, or when an episode covers what is under the spoiler. So the actual discussion about the TV show is stifled at the moment and I'm worried about opening any of the spoilers in case the TV show hasnt covered it yet.

Alf
April 26th, 2011, 3:46 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Eh, whatever. It's been a while since I read the beginning of book 1.

I'm about 3/4 the way through Clash of Kings. Shit is getting really good.

THANKS ALF.

You and Mik need to listen to me more often. He is loving Dark Tower and you are loving ASOIAF.

Alf
April 26th, 2011, 3:51 PM
The latest ep was good. That chat between Robert and Ned was ace. Arya is absolutely perfectly cast and I reckon she'll be well fit when she'd older.

Joffrey is a right cunt.

I like Illyn Payne as well. They got the haunted look down perfectly.

I always imagined the hound as older... don't know why.

Fucking love Daenerys. I want to fill her womb up with my special reggae reggae sauce.

Mik
April 26th, 2011, 4:51 PM
I was incredibly aroused during the scene where the hot young blonde lass was learning how to give her horse-lord warrior forced husband some sweet loving by the dynamite hot lass that used to be on Hollyoaks, as well as the resulting nights passion. Christ.

Miotch
April 26th, 2011, 5:23 PM
I feel as though a separate thread for book and series is just going to end all book talk all together.

JUST MARK YOUR SPOILERS PEOPLE

As far as casting goes they've pretty much nailed everyone. I feel that Sansa is a bit old for the part, but other than that, I don't think there's a misstep. Cersi is probably the best cast of everyone though.

Miotch
April 26th, 2011, 5:23 PM
Outside of Ned, of course.

Mik
April 26th, 2011, 5:30 PM
Is Ned as great in the book as he is on the screen? I get a feeling that without the portrayal from Bean he could easily be somewhat of a dull goody-two-shoes character without a great characterisation.

I always find myself walking down the 'Who would win in a fight' lines if they were all to fight. At the moment I'd rank the horse lord warrior top, but I reckon that Ned would be able to take everyone else. I get the feeling that Mark Addy's character used to be a hardcase when he was younger, but now he's just a big fat fucker.

Miotch
April 26th, 2011, 5:41 PM
No. He's just as incredible. It also doesn't hurt that for whatever reason when I was reading the book I just pictured him as Sean Bean. This was before I even found out that they were making the series too. It is literally just perfect.

The Hound would be a good shout in terms of who would win in a fight.

I can't wait for (very minor book spoiler here, you could click this and not actually have it ruin anything significant)
the tournament for Ned and The Mountain. I want to see who they cast for that behemoth of a man.

Mik
April 26th, 2011, 5:54 PM
Is 'The Hound' the one who captured the little butcher lad last episode? Said that he didnt run fast enough? If so, I reckon that Ned could take him.

Miotch
April 26th, 2011, 5:55 PM
Yes, that's The Hound. Ned might be able to, but he's a pretty fierce mother fucker.

Cewsh
April 26th, 2011, 5:56 PM

Alf
April 26th, 2011, 5:58 PM
I think Bean has added a lot more emotion to the man. The way he got choked up when he promised Jon he'd talk about his mother next time they saw eachother was very well done.

Cewsh
April 26th, 2011, 6:01 PM
I think Bean is portraying him as a more insightful guy than he was in the books. Book Ned is in over his head when it comes to anything even remotely political for a good long stretch.

Mik
April 26th, 2011, 6:36 PM
Why is Bean not a bigger deal in movies? He is by a wide distance the best actor on that show in the first two episodes. Peter Dinklage has been excellent too so far.

Miotch
April 26th, 2011, 7:49 PM
Dinklage is actually phenomenal, and I imagine he'll only get better. The calculating, highly intelligent dwarf is one of the better characters in the whole series.

Carcetti from The Wire will play a phenomenal Littlefinger too. Cannot wait to see him this week.

Zyphlin
April 26th, 2011, 8:46 PM
I agree with the casting all being spot on so far. I couldn't really ask for better, especially on some of my favorites. And Sansa, for what they aged them up in the show, isn't that far off. She's meant to be 13 in the show and I believe the actor is 14.

Pete Cash
April 27th, 2011, 8:37 AM
Lets face it this series will run for three seasons, be cancelled because its too expensive, go to DVD and sell really well, get re-released as a special directors cut version with loads of specials

Before GRRM even writes another three chapters.

Pete Cash
April 27th, 2011, 8:49 AM
I was thinking the other day that I read this when I WAS IN HIGHSCHOOL. I am nearly 30 now. What the hell are you doing GRRM.

I read a game of thrones like 15 years ago. A storm of swords came out when I was 18 and starting to get out of fantasy a bit but I still read a feast for crows out of loyalty to the series. (the 5 years later it came out). The afterwards of that book basically apologises for how shitty the novel is and how it focuses on lame characters nobody gives a fuck about and does not advance the plot in anyway by saying HAY GUYS I SWEAR I HAVE HALF A BOOK WRITTEN.

That was 6 years ago.

I mean he was pushing the friendship then but I will be a 30 year old man reading a book series I started reading as a 15 year old immature nerd. JUST PUBLISH THE LAST BOOK SO WE CAN GET OUR LIVES IN ORDER.

EDIT

I personally think he has just written himself into a corner. The book series is renowned for the fact it turns the tropes of fantasy around. Yet the two characters he quite clearly loves the most (besides tyrion and i am sure he has a huge folder in his house marked DWARF COME BACKS where he jots down the wittiest things he thinks of) are Jon Snow and Daenarys yet both of them have such cliche end games. Jon being revealed as (the following arent necessarily spoilers but it is speculating about things people may not have reached in the books yet SECRET TARG and claiming what is his or Daenarys swooping in on dragons to claim the throne are retard level cliche.

although with his love of incest maybe he will have Jon marry his aunt (I think that is daenarys relationship to Jon if he is a SECRET TARG. Rhaegar was her brother and have retarded inbred targ children

Actually if he goes that route the best thing he could do is have had lyanna go with rhaegar willingly

Zyphlin
April 27th, 2011, 9:16 AM
Yep. That's the one odd thing with the series is that the end game, or at least one portion of it, DOES seem to be rather cliche. The noble "Bastard" Son is actually the link between the big good family and the rightful crown and together with the disposed queen fight back against the monsterious invasion and save the country.

Not that I mind it, but I can see where it just seems out of place. At the same time, perhaps since everything else is so non-cliched in the books having something cliche will actually seem out of palce.

I do think its likely that we find out Lyanna went willingly with Rhaegar. From the little we keep getting from flash backs with her she was a rather strong willed woman. And if it happened as Robert believes I just can't see Ned not having the same kind of "kill all targs" mentality, even if his sister did make him promise to keep one alive.

Plus, if you go the willingly route....Snow suddenly has legitimized Stark Blood, giving a neat little bow on combining the old empire with the new it him and Dany end up becoming King/Queen.

But yeah, I think its unquestionable that we're going to get more incest with the two of them.

Pete Cash
April 27th, 2011, 9:23 AM
any other characters in the book i would just think he would kill off for the sake of it but he just loves Jon and Daenary. I would be shocked if Jon, Daenary or Tyrion get killed. Hell shocked.

It is a strange series because I get the impression we are supposed to hate Catelyn Stark. Yes she is annoying because she is written that way but it isn't as if she was wrong with her nagging of Robb. Yes she does some dumb shit but I don't know why GRRM wants us to hate her.

There are times where we are supposed to be sympathetic towards the Targs but they were a bunch of jerks. Yes the narrators are often incredibly biased against the Targs so maybe it is just an unreliable narrator thing going on but GRRM quite clearly likes the Targs and I often get the feeling they are well....in his opinion the good guys.

I could be wrong but even as a kid that was what I found hardest to read about the books and in many ways they were the books that made me widen my choice in reading because of stuff like that. The fact that it is so morally ambiguous. Even if the Targs are a bunch of creepy inbred rapists.

EDIT

The HBO series has done more to excite me in finding out what will happen in this series than anything GRRM has pulled out since the year 2000.

Cewsh
April 27th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Apparently A Dance With Dragons IS coming out on July 12th of this year, and that's according to the publisher and not Martin.

So there's that, at least.

Pablo Diablo
April 27th, 2011, 2:30 PM
Whoa whoa. About Pete's first set of spoilers...

Why do we think Jon is a Targ? I hadn't even thought of that before.

*edit* Seems I should have done some searching. Quite the popular theory right now isn't it. Some good thoughts about it out there.

As for Catelyn I thought we were supposed to pity her up to Feast and then in that think she may be just a bitch. Right now though I think the only people I "like" are Bran, Jon and Dany. Samwiseell too I suppose.

Pete Cash
April 28th, 2011, 2:10 AM
SPOILERS ARE IN THIS LINK

http://www.towerofthehand.com/essays/chrisholden/jon_snows_parents.html

and it is about time he has finished it.

Mik
April 28th, 2011, 4:44 AM
Lets face it this series will run for three seasons, be cancelled because its too expensive, go to DVD and sell really well, get re-released as a special directors cut version with loads of specials

Before GRRM even writes another three chapters.

I would be utterly amazed if it ran for more than a few seasons. I think that HBO is probably the only channel where it could.

lotjx
April 28th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I think we see the evolution of Catelyn Stark in book 4. She was so uppity about protocol and procedure that it in the end it bite her and the entire Stark family in the ass hard. After what happens at the Red Wedding, her world is turn upside down that when she appears in Feast, it makes perfect sense. I also was not a fan of butch knight and if Cat did or is going to kill her, fine. For all tensive purposes she is an oath breaker and has it coming.

I like Snow, Arrya, Imp and the dragon mother. I don't think we are supposed to like any set of family expect the Starks. All of the families have one egomanicial power driven asshole in it while the Starks don't. If they cut anything I hope its the whole seafarrying kingdom stuff in book 4. God, that shit was just boring as hell.

Miotch
April 28th, 2011, 1:17 PM
dude what the fuck use spoiler tags

Alf
April 28th, 2011, 1:24 PM
Can a mod spoiler tag that please. Seeing as that fuck stick is too stupid too.

Cewsh
April 28th, 2011, 2:14 PM
Jesus christ.

Zyphlin
April 28th, 2011, 3:35 PM
Jesus Fucking Christ what are you doing semi-spoiling one of the biggest events in the series.

Will a Mod Please spoil that, and then also slap him with a trout.

Mik
April 28th, 2011, 6:41 PM
I'm glad that I started reading that and just skimmed it figuring that it'd be spoilers.

I guess the guy is fairly new and probably doesnt know the system.

lotjx
April 28th, 2011, 9:34 PM
Don't know how and honestly, I tried to be as vague as possible. Please most of you were going spoilers then shit in the book. But, the mods got me, so happy days for you uptight nerds.

Mik
April 29th, 2011, 6:44 AM
My sympathetic protection of you has dissipated.

Pete Cash
April 29th, 2011, 6:59 AM
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERDS

Dubya
May 2nd, 2011, 1:28 PM
Was that Alan Ruck that met Lady Stark when she arrived ???

Nah .. doesn't seem to be. Looks a lot like him though. Madness.

Miotch
May 2nd, 2011, 1:36 PM
I loved episode 3, but I'm guessing a lot of you will feel like it was just filler?

Mik
May 2nd, 2011, 6:41 PM
I thought that was a fucking excellent episode. Loads of character development and allusions, some foreshadowing. Great stuff.

Dubya
May 2nd, 2011, 6:42 PM
Yeah, I thought it was a great episode. Good to see the princess realizing the power she is coming into in this tribe .. loved when the dude grabbed her brother with the whip. I liked how they ended with the little one learning to swordfight. Was a great episode. I love shows like this with the slow-build.

Derek
May 2nd, 2011, 10:44 PM
Just downloaded the first book.

thetony
May 2nd, 2011, 11:39 PM
Surprised and happy to see Aidan Gillen (Mayor Carcetti from The Wire) having a part on the show. I had no clue he was Irish.

Derek
May 2nd, 2011, 11:50 PM
I didn't recognize that the Queen was Queen Gorgo from 300.

Miotch
May 3rd, 2011, 3:02 AM
She was also Sarah Connor from the Terminator television series.

Alf
May 3rd, 2011, 9:10 AM
That was a quality episode of television.

I'm surprised how much they are packing into these episodes whilst still keeping the pace gentle and forboding.

I can't belive how much they've nailed certain characters. Jon Snow is spot on... he is so likeable yet not having done much yet. Tyrion is perfectly cast, but I'm really impressed with Arya. She's a cracking little actress.

Mik
May 3rd, 2011, 4:40 PM
You've fucking won Alf, okay? You've won. Once I'm finished The Dark Tower I'm going to start on Game of Thrones.

You owe me big for this.

Mik
May 3rd, 2011, 5:37 PM
A little spoilerific question about that actually:

I know that Ned dies presumably in the first book, around Episode 9 in the series, but I dont know anything about it, so please dont tell me anything else. All I want to know is...is the character explored in any more of the books? Is he ever covered in flashback, or during his youth, or is he often referred to again or anything like that?

Marlon Dingle
May 3rd, 2011, 5:40 PM
Really enjoying this so far chaps.

Cewsh
May 3rd, 2011, 5:43 PM

I know that Ned dies presumably in the first book, around Episode 9 in the series, but I dont know anything about it, so please dont tell me anything else. All I want to know is...is the character explored in any more of the books? Is he ever covered in flashback, or during his youth, or is he often referred to again or anything like that?

He's referred to often enough in Clash of Kings, since he was really the tie that bound most of the characters together. But the books aren't really concerned with him much afterwards. Really only Catelyn dwells on him long after the fact, and his story, to this point, hasn't gotten much more attention than it did by the end of book 1.

Miotch
May 3rd, 2011, 6:28 PM

Very general response in here about the books:

I'm only about 3/4 through the 2nd book, but he's been referenced through out, if for only the fact that his death is a domino in a chain of events, and the story heavily centers around his family. I can't say about the flashbacks, but it doesn't seem to be a device Martin uses much if at all. It's more in conversation when they are 'remembering' things, for example in the last episode when Ned is talking with Jaime Lannister about slaying the king he once protected.

I wouldn't hold out TOO much hope that we see Sean Bean in the series after he dies.

I hope that makes sense.

Alf
May 4th, 2011, 5:19 AM
You've fucking won Alf, okay? You've won. Once I'm finished The Dark Tower I'm going to start on Game of Thrones.

You owe me big for this.

Surely you owe ME for opening your eyes to such wonderful literature.

Alf
May 4th, 2011, 5:21 AM
And Mik:

He's still referenced a lot, and there is the whole sub-plot about Jon Snow's parentage which is turning out to be very interesting.

Pete Cash
May 7th, 2011, 8:27 AM
If anyone is watching the shows and they are confused about all thats going on I might give the back story. Now the reason GRRM is a good fantasy writer is that he plays with conventions and also there are certain biases going on but this is the official history from the point of view of the rebellion. I have theories about what might have really happened but this is for all intents and purposes what is written as history. I might be forgetting stuff so any one with better knowledge can correct me.

aerys targaryen was a bit of a cunt king. The targaryen family basically captured the iron throne centuries ago because they well literally flew around on dragons which is enough to win most wars. They were also incredibly inbred so there was the odd lunatic. Aerys was one of them. He had three children. Rhaegar, Visery and Daenarys (in the womb). Rhaegar was a bit older than they were and was married with child.

Lyanna Stark (neds sister) was a bit of a hottie and was to wed Robert Baratheon but Rhaegar kidnapped her and took her off to his rape castle. Brandon Stark (Neds brother) marched down south and demanded the Prince come out so he could kill him and take his sister back. The king took offence to this and arrested Brandon and sent for his and Neds father Rickard Stark to fight in a trial by combat.

Of course this is all a ruse and the King just executes the lot of them (referenced this episode with the chat between ned and Jamie who was a kingsguard...which is a highly prestigious position and Jamie through family connections and ability became one very young.

At this time Robert and Ned are being looked after by John Arryn (the dude who died in the very first episode to kick all this off).

The king is like umm John please send those two down to kings landing so I can execute them and this was when the revolt began. John, Eddard and Robert took up banners and marched, Rhaegar did the same. They met and Robert killed Rhaegar. Not long after this house Lannister the CUNTS felt which way the wind was blowing and Tywin Lannister (who should be entering the show soonish from memory) marched his armies to kings landing claiming to be there to ally with the king. He then betrayed the king when they entered and his son (Jamie) would then kill the king.

visery and his mother run away but the rest of the Targs ain't so lucky. Also lyanna dies.

That is pretty much the official history of the fall of the Targs. I don't think I have put anything spoilerish in here. I don't believe personally it really happened that way.

grimshaw
May 7th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks petey j I've jumped into this and while I'm getting a picture of whats up it's certainly not being spelled out for me. Which I suppose is part of the fun.

Good so far no doubt.

Jay
May 8th, 2011, 8:38 PM
Wow, I'm absolutely loving this show. I went to watch the first episode earlier tonight and I've wound up watching all three shown so far, one right after the other. I knew nothing of it beforehand, I recorded them based simply on this thread and the hype you lot had generated, so I thank you for that.

Everything about the show is perfect. The setting, the characters, the pacing, the storytelling, everything - it's directed so beautifully. I've been wowed many, many times already at the attention to detail in every shot. I can't wait for the next installment, and I'll definitely be looking into purchasing the books once this series is over. Love it, love it, love it.

Marlon Dingle
May 9th, 2011, 4:06 PM
Really looking forward to tonights show. Come on Ned. Cut someones head off. :)

Miotch
May 9th, 2011, 5:53 PM
I hate the Theon Greyjoy casting. He seems too young and scrawny. I was also disappointed that the tournament was sort of glossed over. Maybe it'll be part of next week too, but it seemed entirely too brief.

Chris Scott
May 9th, 2011, 6:18 PM
Wow, I'm absolutely loving this show. I went to watch the first episode earlier tonight and I've wound up watching all three shown so far, one right after the other. I knew nothing of it beforehand, I recorded them based simply on this thread and the hype you lot had generated, so I thank you for that.

Everything about the show is perfect. The setting, the characters, the pacing, the storytelling, everything - it's directed so beautifully. I've been wowed many, many times already at the attention to detail in every shot. I can't wait for the next installment, and I'll definitely be looking into purchasing the books once this series is over. Love it, love it, love it.

:yes:

Spot on Jay.

I watched the first 2 yesterday and and I'm about to watch the 3rd.

Marlon Dingle
May 9th, 2011, 6:21 PM
"I bet you smell of Blackberry Jam"

Loving Mark Addy and Peter Dinklage in this.

So far so good.

Cewsh
May 9th, 2011, 6:36 PM
I hate the Theon Greyjoy casting. He seems too young and scrawny. I was also disappointed that the tournament was sort of glossed over. Maybe it'll be part of next week too, but it seemed entirely too brief.

I imagine it'll have to continue on. There are still a few characters that get introduced during the whole dealy who have been left out thus far. Then again, they aren't HUGELY important, so they may have just been cut.

The Knight of Flowers, for example.

Pablo Diablo
May 9th, 2011, 8:29 PM
I imagine it'll have to continue on. There are still a few characters that get introduced during the whole dealy who have been left out thus far. Then again, they aren't HUGELY important, so they may have just been cut.

The Knight of Flowers, for example.

Surely they can't cut him out.

All book spoiler
His role in the last two books, hell even Clash of Kings he's kind of vital to the end of it, is too vital to not introduce him now.

Pablo Diablo
May 9th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Having just watched it I think they definiteyl are going to continue the tourney. Although tis a shame we missed the melee, would have liked to see Thoros. Guess that's why we got the mention of his sword in that conversation.

And I echo Marlon. I bet you smell like blackberry jam.

Mik
May 10th, 2011, 4:12 AM
I thought that it was another excellent episode. Seems like its setting up for quite a lot to kick off with Tyrion going to be taken back to Winterfell, I imagine that he's going to have to implicate the Lannister's in order to save himself which is obviously going to have a huge impact on the direction of the plot. I dont recognise who some of these names are you're talking about though, which character is Theon Greyjoy? Apparently Jerome Flynn of Robson & Jerome and Soldier, Soldier fame was in that episode. Did anyone catch who he was.

I particularly enjoyed the steamy sex scene...was desperately hoping she would stand up to display an impeccable arse, is that pathetic?

I'm watching the show with a view of trying to find something that will keep me hooked once Ned dies and so far I think that the Jon Snow storyline is the most interesting. Thats rather well explored at the moment.

Pete Cash
May 10th, 2011, 5:34 AM
Theon is the non Stark kid hanging out with Robb. He is a ward of Neds. He is basically living there as a hostage to keep his father loyal to the throne.

Mik
May 10th, 2011, 7:17 AM
Ahhh. I didnt realise at first that he wasnt a Stark.

So how many Stark children are there? I know Bran, Robb, Arya and the ginger lass whose name I dont fully know yet. Is it them four and then the bastard?

Pete Cash
May 10th, 2011, 8:07 AM
Robb, (Jon), Sansa, Arya, Brandon, Rickon.

Zyphlin
May 10th, 2011, 10:51 AM
The tourny should continue. Not spoilering it since we've made it to that part in the show now. After the Mountain lances Ser Henry through the fucking throat the King essentially calls for intermission. The Tourney begins anew the next day in the book, and from what I've heard should continue next episode as well.

There are 5 "Stark" children...Rickon, which is the youngest and isn't seen a ton in the book or in the TV series initially. Bran who is the second youngest whose currently crippled and seeing creepy 3 eyed crows. Arya, which is the cool sister. Sansa, whose the red head and is the obnoxious I want to throttle sister. And then Robb, the eldest boy and current Steward of Winterfell.

And then John.

Theon is a ward of the Starks, essentially kept hostage to keep his father...who had rebelled against the crown...under control. Theon in the TV series was the guy who made a comment about the white wolf (ghost) before John took it. He was the third boy during the shaving scene in the first episode. In episode two he's at the little council with Cat and is pushing to go to war and gets smacked down by Luwin. He didn't get named until this fourth episode though. His talk with Tyrion, and later the talk between Jory (the Stark house guard) and Jamie give some insight into his family the Greyjoys. They're somewhat ancillary in the first book but if further seasons occur they'll have a bigger role.

Alf
May 12th, 2011, 4:12 PM
Hodor... yus.

Ahhhh. I like Samwell, he's cute.

Hollyoaks woman is fucking immense. Shit tits though.

Arya is incredible. "No... that's not me."

Loved seeing Dany lay the smack down on Viserys... however, I don't think that moment was earnt yet. They needed more scenes of Viserys being mental.

Miotch
May 12th, 2011, 7:28 PM
Samwell is near perfect. You feel so bad for the fat weak pathetic cunt.

Pablo Diablo
May 12th, 2011, 10:43 PM
My only problem with Samwell is that I always pictured him as Samwise, specifically Sean Astin being Samwise.

I know, I have no imagination.

Mik
May 14th, 2011, 8:26 AM
http://www.artofthetitle.com/2011/05/12/game-of-thrones/

A fascinating read about the construction of the title sequence for Game of Thrones. Really enlightening.

Chris Scott
May 14th, 2011, 4:44 PM
Great read that, I really love the opening title and the song.

So I'm about to watch episode 4 in a minute, I knew from the first 10 minutes of episode1 I would fall in love with this show. I've been reading more about this show through mags and the net and it's got me wanting to get the books.

Pablo Diablo
May 16th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Told you Loras would be on the show.

Alf
May 16th, 2011, 5:24 AM
Loved Loras...

also loved that they teased the GAY BANTER

Fuck me the mountain is huge... I was hoping for a big more a vicious fight though. Loved the HORSE CHOP.

BRON! Fucking hell that was surprisingly bloody...

The Eyrie is immense...

And yeah... I've been writing this as I watched it. They haven't so much teased the gay bant as just come right out with it. It works well.

I also like how they very blatantly showed it was the bloke from Pentos who was with Varys when Arya hears them talking.

Immense episode. Absolutely immense. The show has arrived... it reminds me of the wire in that there was a slow build and then suddenly BOOM.

Pablo Diablo
May 16th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Well it's blatant for the people who know what they were looking at. For people who have only seen the show, they've only seen Illyrio in that first episode so they might not have made the connection. I think Martin was like, look I tried to make it sort of obvious with my description in my book, make it plain as day for the tv viewers.

Same with Renly and Loras I think.

And yeah The Eyrie and the sky cells are just what I imagined they'd be. Lysa and Robert are also quite as I imagined them. I also love how the title screen did change to show the Eyrie.

The Mountain is a beast. I just fucking love their gigantic ass swords swinging at each other.

Miotch
May 16th, 2011, 1:22 PM
I'm shocked they actually had a 7 year old sucking on a woman's breast in the show. That just seems like it crosses so many lines. Loved it though. The Eyrie was all phenomenal.

I honestly didn't realize that Renly was gay when I read the book. Kind of shocked by that.

I am also content with the tournament and its conclusion.

lotjx
May 16th, 2011, 2:09 PM
I think they threw the Renly is gay thing in there. You think the breast sucking is wrong now wait til season 3.

Pablo Diablo
May 16th, 2011, 2:27 PM
While I didn't think it was overt in the books I think it was hinted at that Loras and Renly were lovers or at the very least that many people thought they were lovers.

Miotch
May 16th, 2011, 2:29 PM
Pabs, book spoiler question from the 2nd book...

Did Theon really have Bran and Rickon killed? :(

Pablo Diablo
May 16th, 2011, 2:47 PM
2nd book spoiler
Aye that was sad wasn't it. You've gotta feel for the Starks. I don't think you'll like what's left in the book.

Zyphlin
May 16th, 2011, 3:17 PM
I think they threw the Renly is gay thing in there. You think the breast sucking is wrong now wait til season 3.

Not really...

Spoilers from all 4 books and interviews

Its hinted about routinely. Stannis makes mention of how Margaery is likely to die a maid being in Renly's bed. And sure enough, its later suggested that Margaery and Renly never consumated the marriage.

You also have comments about him from Tyrion, who points out he hires some of Renly's old servents because they had experience being "blind, deaf, and mute". There's multiple comments about his fashion sence, and how he's the best dressed man at the courts or at jousts. I think at one point Stannis may actually refer to him as dressing up like a woman (not as a woman, but going all out to look fancy/pretty/etc).

Loras himself has a number of hints spoken about him, with people referring to him as the "Knight o' the Pansies" and a "bugger". Loras's brother also suggests that he would not make a good husband despite being "handsome and valiant", implying something else wrong that'd keep him from doing husbandly duties.

Littlefinger also makes comments at one point of how "doubly difficult" it would be attempt to find a bride for Loras, a comment that doesn't make sense for a man who most of the women in the land swoon over.

Loras's attitude about Renly also seems a bit curious when talking about him with Sansa, or when he slays two of his fellow rainbow guard out of grief over Renly's death, or when telling Jamie how he will never betray him.

That is just individually and not touching on things together. At a feast Catlyn notes how he spends more time paying attention and joking with Loras than with his bride. He's described as "Renly's little rose" by Oberyn. And lets not forget Jamie's wonderful line..."Now sheathe your bloody sword, or I'll take it from you and shove it up some place even Renly never found." Hmm, wonder what he could be implying there.

And, really, to cap it all off....George R.R. Martin has came out in interviews and flatly said the characters are gay. Though, in general, such a notion is different than in the modern world and thus is why its not treated like a modern thing or labeled as such in books. Not to mention, we never really have a POV character who would have any greater insight into Loras or Renly to get a view of what they were. This is different than the TV series, where we are not viewing things through the eyes of various POV's but rather having a broader observational view.

Pablo Diablo
May 16th, 2011, 3:28 PM
Mitch, hurry your ass up and finish the 2nd book, next thing you know the show will be caught up to you.

Miotch
May 16th, 2011, 3:36 PM
Wait...

2nd book...

I'm so confused. So he didn't kill Bran and Rickon? GAH. Love the twist though. Was legitimately sad at that. I only have 10 chapters left or so. I'm sure I'll start the next book within the week.

Pablo Diablo
May 16th, 2011, 3:36 PM
Wait...

2nd book...

I'm so confused. So he didn't kill Bran and Rickon? GAH.

Yeah he didn't. I just didn't want to ruin that for you.

Marlon Dingle
May 16th, 2011, 5:07 PM
Holy shit. That kid that was sucking on that woman's tit is the kid that plays Russell Brand's kid in Get Him To The Greek. That was just pure freaky.

It just seems to get better and better each week. Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Peter Dinklage and even the younger cast members are all doing very well in their roles. Some are more annoying that others but I guess that is intended.

Also any chance we can get the people wanting to discuss the book in their own thread and the TV show only in this thread?

Mik
May 16th, 2011, 6:12 PM
Holy fuck, that was one of the best episodes of television I've seen in a long time. Ned would've totally fucked him up though.

Miotch
May 16th, 2011, 6:32 PM
Holy shit. That kid that was sucking on that woman's tit is the kid that plays Russell Brand's kid in Get Him To The Greek. That was just pure freaky.

It just seems to get better and better each week. Sean Bean, Mark Addy, Peter Dinklage and even the younger cast members are all doing very well in their roles. Some are more annoying that others but I guess that is intended.

Also any chance we can get the people wanting to discuss the book in their own thread and the TV show only in this thread?
Just don't click anything marked book spoiler.

Dubya
May 16th, 2011, 7:28 PM
I'm shocked they actually had a 7 year old sucking on a woman's breast in the show. That just seems like it crosses so many lines. Loved it though. The Eyrie was all phenomenal.

I honestly didn't realize that Renly was gay when I read the book. Kind of shocked by that.

I am also content with the tournament and its conclusion.

I was actually wondering about the tit-sucking too. I was just thinking, "can they do that?" as I watched it .. but apparently they can. :yes:

Pablo Diablo
May 16th, 2011, 7:59 PM
The rape, incest and gratuitous amounts of gore were ok.

But a kid breastfeeding was a step too far?

*edit* I should clarify that I mean you think that'd be too much for tv.

Derek
May 16th, 2011, 10:32 PM
It's not TV...it's HBO.

Alf
May 17th, 2011, 4:36 AM
Holy fuck, that was one of the best episodes of television I've seen in a long time. Ned would've totally fucked him up though.

Yep, totally agree.

They fit so much into it but still had time for two lenghty paced scenes (Robert and Cersi, Renly and Loras).

Book spoiler
I just realised no one who hasn't read the books has twigged that Jofrey etc aren't robert's kids... they are building that up nicely for a big reveal

Mik
May 17th, 2011, 5:00 AM
It was an incredible episode like. Definitely a huge kick off from the series.

Mik
May 17th, 2011, 5:02 AM
Who are Renly and Loras?

I am not a big fan of Jamie. Last week he was waxing about fighting side by side with Ned's guard and this week he stabs a dagger straight through his head. Not a good guy. The battle of The Hound vs The Mountain was crazy, those were some big fuck off swords they were flinging about.

Alf
May 17th, 2011, 5:36 AM
Renly is the one that was getting gobbed off by a bloke. That bloke was Loras.

Renly is the King's little brother.

Loras is a knight who all the ladies swoon over, he is supposedly a superb fighter. He is from House Tyrell who are one of the major houses (families) in GoT along with:

Stark - Ned and the gang

Lannister - Jaime/Cersi etc

Tully - Catelyn was a Tully, she married Ned, and now she's s stark (but she was promised to Ned's bro, but Ned's bro was killed, so Ned did the honourable thing and married her himself... loves his honour does ned.).

Baratheon - King Robert, little bender brother Renly...

Arryn - Jon Arryn was the hand. Got killed. His mad bitch wife is a Tully, she gets he titties sucked by her kid. Both Robert and Ned spent a lot of time with Jon Arryn as kids and they loved and respected him.

And then there are the Martel family who you won't hear of for a while. You might have heard them mention Dornishmen. That's them.

All these houses will have a number of smaller houses underneath them in their area who pay taxes and lend armed forces when needed. So when they talk about their bannermen, they are talking about the heads of the armed forces of the smaller houses who owe them allegience.

That's why Rob was talking about 1 being greater than five (i.e one being a fist). Everyone has their own men that are loyal to them, there isn't one standing army that belongs to the realm.

Pete Cash
May 17th, 2011, 9:04 AM
Jamie rules

lotjx
May 17th, 2011, 9:07 AM
The rape, incest and gratuitous amounts of gore were ok.

But a kid breastfeeding was a step too far?

*edit* I should clarify that I mean you think that'd be too much for tv.

Again, its only going to get worse as we progress with that.

Pete Cash
May 17th, 2011, 9:14 AM
Who are Renly and Loras?

I am not a big fan of Jamie. Last week he was waxing about fighting side by side with Ned's guard and this week he stabs a dagger straight through his head. Not a good guy. The battle of The Hound vs The Mountain was crazy, those were some big fuck off swords they were flinging about.

In all seriousness outside of "Jamie Rules" you have to understand that Jame and Tyrion are close. Without spoiling too much (and its been at least hinted if not outright said) not many people like Tyrion including his father (who actually literally hates him) so Jamie takes it upon himself to look after the dwarf.

It is also a pretty massive insult to his family. Lannister and Stark are both very very noble houses and both hold ward over parts of the kingdom (Lannister in the West and Stark in the North) and for Catelyn to just kidnap Tyrion and spirit him away to the Eyrie is a pretty massive slap in the face.

Tyrion was kidnapped on the evidence of fucking Littlefinger of all people. I think Jamie is pretty justified in trying to rescue his brother.

Pete Cash
May 17th, 2011, 9:30 AM
Also here is a non spoiler (I promise) present for you mik. Its the print out of all the relationships so FAR so you can look up who the kings brothers are in future (Renly and Stannis)

http://i.imgur.com/tmZ8o.png

soz for the table breaking