PDA

View Full Version : The Football League Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

Red Dog
May 26th, 2009, 2:01 PM
11/8 - Newcastle

9/4 - Middlesbrough & West Brom

3 - Ipswich

7/2 - Reading & Sheff Utd

5 - QPR

6 - Cardiff & Presston

7 - Swansea

8 - Crystal Palace, Derby & Leicester

10 - Bristol City, Coventry, Peterborough & Watford

14 - Forest & Sheff Wed

20 - Barnsley, Blackpool, Doncaster & Plymouth

40 - Scunthorpe

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/eng ... /promotion (http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/coca-cola-championship/promotion)

Current odds. Obviously this will all change once the transfer season kicks in. And certain clubs have to get rid of players on ridiculous amounts of cash.

Any fans in here?

Mickie James Rules
May 26th, 2009, 3:31 PM
Those odds just for promotion of any form or to win the league?

Plymouth are my nearest side and I am not one bit shocked at where they are on the list there, lucky to stay up really and I maintain that they are more likely to be go down than ever sneak into the playoff picture.

Must admit past couple of years it has been a interesting league and good to see that from now on there is going to be more money pumped into it, through the TV.

BBF
May 26th, 2009, 3:44 PM
Real football is in league 2. Barnet are at 50's at the moment. £2 please. Torn knows the assistant manager > manager pattern that is clear in league 2.

Red Dog
May 26th, 2009, 3:56 PM
Those odds just for promotion of any form or to win the league?

Just promotion.

All those odds are ridiculously short in my opinion. I wouldn't put any cash on us unless we were double that!

Torn
May 26th, 2009, 3:57 PM
Real football is in league 2. Barnet are at 50's at the moment. £2 please. Torn knows the assistant manager > manager pattern that is clear in league 2.

I do. And you had top form at the end of last season, and massive clubs like Brentford are now out the division so you might stand a chance. We were 16's at the start of last season to get promoted and we were one of the favourites even then, those odds in the first post are very short.

Beefy
May 26th, 2009, 3:59 PM
Actually, the best football is played in League One. The Championship is full of long ball merchants and teams full of 6'2" athletes who run all over the few teams who actually try to get the ball down and play.

Beefy
May 26th, 2009, 3:59 PM
That said, there's some serious dross played in League One.

Torn
May 26th, 2009, 4:00 PM
Red Dog has made a massive error in not including the Football League in this thread, considering most of us don't actually support clubs in the Championship.

Beefy
May 26th, 2009, 4:02 PM
Red Dog has made a massive error in not including the Football League in this thread, considering most of us don't actually support clubs in the Championship.

There's been threads for the Football League before but they always die a death and we end up back in the main football thread within a week or so.

I can't bloody wait for League One next season. I don't think I've ever seen Southend play in a league with so many southern Clubs.

Torn
May 26th, 2009, 4:06 PM
There's been threads for the Football League before but they always die a death and we end up back in the main football thread within a week or so.

I can't bloody wait for League One next season. I don't think I've ever seen Southend play in a league with so many southern Clubs.

Exactly, it's what me and 1PA said when he was going on about posting one in the first place.

I'm very excited about next season, the league is looking fantastic. Especially considering the jump up from the type of teams we were playing last year.

Beefy
May 26th, 2009, 4:12 PM
Take out the bottom eight in League Two and the top two or three in League One and there's not a huge gulf in quality between the two divisions. Whilst Hereford struggled this year, most teams who come up do alright and obviously the likes of Peterborough this year and Southend a couple of years back have gone straight through.

I know you were at this level not long ago so you know it well but the division really seems to reward good attacking passing football, probably more than either League Two or the Championship do. Usually the six best footballing sides are the top six in the league.

Red Dog
May 26th, 2009, 4:48 PM
Well, I don't know who supports who. Sorry.

Why not have a thread for each league? If they die, they die.

1_Pablo_Angel
May 26th, 2009, 4:55 PM
Pointless innit. The more posts in the main thread the better.

Red Dog
May 26th, 2009, 5:27 PM
Pointless innit. The more posts in the main thread the better.
Why? Are you going for a world record?!

Why not just have one massive thread for the whole board then :lol:

Torn
May 26th, 2009, 5:28 PM
:wtf:

1_Pablo_Angel
May 26th, 2009, 5:31 PM
You should probably stop laughing at your own posts.

Obviously there's no need to have separate threads for divisions when you've got one for the domestic English game as a whole. You said Champo talk would get lost in there, but it wouldn't. Most who post in there take a fairly active interest in all levels of English football, but you have to say something interesting in order for people to discuss it. If you want to pointlessly exaggerate, we could take your way to its natural conclusion of having a thread for every single club and every single professional player etc.

UK Blue
May 26th, 2009, 5:46 PM
Just change the thread title to include all the Football League and Non League. This thread will thrive.

Where are all the fans of Conference teams? I want to talk Barrow.

1_Pablo_Angel
May 26th, 2009, 5:46 PM
Make yourself comfortable UK Blue, soon this will be your home :yes:

UK Blue
May 26th, 2009, 5:49 PM
I don't doubt it.

As long as we don't go out of business I'll be happy :yes:

1_Pablo_Angel
May 26th, 2009, 5:51 PM
Having the greatest thread in the history of this board renamed to 'The ***Official*** Premier League Discussion Thread' would be an abomination. And that's basically what you're proposing.

da_man
May 26th, 2009, 5:52 PM
Make yourself comfortable UK Blue, soon this will be your home :yes:

Beat me to that one :D

Gary J
May 26th, 2009, 5:57 PM
Having the greatest thread in the history of this board renamed to 'The ***Official*** Premier League Discussion Thread' would be an abomination. And that's basically what you're proposing.

Would we get postive rep as a parachute payment ?

UK Blue
May 26th, 2009, 5:58 PM

I proposed no such thing.

Such little lower league talk goes on in there anyway, might as well have a thread to try and liven things up and STIMULATE discussion. And if people continue to talk lower league stuff in that thread then there isn't a problem. Stop being such a tart before I punch you in the face again.

UK Blue
May 26th, 2009, 6:00 PM
Beat me to that one :D

I doubt we'll be going down with THE AXE in our centre midfield. He has a point to prove. I expect several of your players stretchered off when we play you next.

1_Pablo_Angel
May 26th, 2009, 6:05 PM
I proposed no such thing.

Such little lower league talk goes on in there anyway, might as well have a thread to try and liven things up and STIMULATE discussion. And if people continue to talk lower league stuff in that thread then there isn't a problem.

I've posted about Championship stuff in the main thread loads of times. LOADS. Personally I just prefer to have one big, thriving thread full of footy related discourse...

Your short sightedness and lack of vision could lead to us falling out here UK Blue. You are the FA and I am Trevor Brooking. For the good of the game.

Would we get postive rep as a parachute payment ?

No chance, I am diametrically opposed to such a situation. I might even form a breakaway European super football subforum. The rep points on offer there will be greater than in your wildest dreams...

Stop being such a tart before I punch you in the face again.

You've gone too far now dickhead. Enjoy sleeping on the roof Thursday night, make sure no-one rolls you off the edge after you've passed out.

Red Dog
May 26th, 2009, 6:06 PM
Just change the thread title to include all the Football League and Non League. This thread will thrive.

Where are all the fans of Conference teams? I want to talk Barrow.
I tried that. I don't know how :confused:

Gary J
May 26th, 2009, 6:10 PM
No chance, I am diametrically opposed to such a situation. I might even form a breakaway European super football subforum. The rep points on offer there will be greater than in your wildest dreams...

So there'd be no Spurs chat and the Spurs lads would think it was the worst thread ever.

Plus this would mean you would only post well for so long and then just give up on the thread completely before concentrating on the premier league thread.

1_Pablo_Angel
May 26th, 2009, 6:24 PM
I would hire other people to post for me on a rotational basis. This would be facilitated by my massive rep, in turn perpetuated by membership of said forum.

son_of_foley
May 27th, 2009, 3:46 AM
Derby to cruise to the title next season possibly.

It's going to be bloody tight next year though

Sheff United, Newcastle, Boro, West Brom, Cardiff, Swansea etc

Leicester might make a good fist of it, Forest will be organised and hard to beat for sure.

Wouldn't be suprised if Brendan Rodgers gets Watford firing as well he seems to be doing a good job.

Red Dog
May 27th, 2009, 5:55 AM
Derby to cruise to the title next season possibly.

It's going to be bloody tight next year though

Sheff United, Newcastle, Boro, West Brom, Cardiff, Swansea etc

Leicester might make a good fist of it, Forest will be organised and hard to beat for sure.

Wouldn't be suprised if Brendan Rodgers gets Watford firing as well he seems to be doing a good job.
It's hard to say before the summers transfer activity but I'd expect West Brom to go up. Reading will be up there too. Newcastle is a tricky one but the likes of Carroll and Ameobi will be quality in this league.

I don't personally think Forest, Derby or Sheff United will be up there.

RFF Champ
May 27th, 2009, 6:08 AM
Ameobi can still leave as far as I'm concerned. He never did well on his loan spells and as far as he, Carroll and Zamblera are concerned, if we can get Beckford then Ameobi isn't necessary.

And if Shearer stays on then I can see him trying to convince Viduka to take a hit and stay on.

son_of_foley
May 27th, 2009, 6:08 AM
Derby will win probably every single game.

I don't think Forest will get promoted but think Davies will get them hard to beat. He knows this division well.

United aren't a great team but Henderson/Ward/Lupolli is a quality forward line that could do some damage.

Wouldnt be suprised to see Coventry in trouble next season.

Gotta think Ipswich will be pushing on a bit with Keane there but again without seeing his moves in the market it's hard to know if it's promotion or also-rans

son_of_foley
May 27th, 2009, 6:09 AM
Ameobi can still leave as far as I'm concerned. He never did well on his loan spells and as far as he, Carroll and Zamblera are concerned, if we can get Beckford then Ameobi isn't necessary.

And if Shearer stays on then I can see him trying to convince Viduka to take a hit and stay on.

Is zamblera the lad who was on loan to sampdoria last year?

RFF Champ
May 27th, 2009, 7:42 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_5350286,00.html

:!WK<K!!

RFF Champ
May 27th, 2009, 7:42 AM
Is zamblera the lad who was on loan to sampdoria last year?

Yeah.

Xisco too, I wonder what'll happen to him. He must be on hefty dosh.

1_Pablo_Angel
May 27th, 2009, 8:19 AM
50k a week on a 6 year contract, apparently :lol:

How the fuck are you going to get rid of these players? Noone else is going to match that sort of money.

son_of_foley
May 27th, 2009, 8:28 AM
They probably won't have to. If they go to spain they get it at a far recduced tax rate so they probably can offer them up to 30% less or whatever and they'll be on the same take home. That and Newcastle could make it very uncomfortable for a number of them in the championship

Red Dog
June 1st, 2009, 6:37 AM
We've signed Dele Adebola.

I expect the season tickets sales to soar through the roof now.

As an aside, I pm'ed a mod asking them to change the thread title to "the football league". Obviously that hasn't happened yet. Mods do log in occasionally, right?

son_of_foley
June 1st, 2009, 7:01 AM
1M+ for McGoldrick?

Not convinced by that.

Tyson,Earnshaw,Garner,Adebola,Blakcstock,McGoldric k

That's assuming you get Blackstock. Odd signings from the mad midget.

Red Dog
June 1st, 2009, 7:07 AM
I can't think that we will have six strikers so I would suspect that McGoldrick is instead of Blackstock or Tyson or Garner will go.

Not fussed about Blackstock anyway. He did quite well but I think we can do better. And he has also fitted into the Nottingham lifestyle quite well shall we say.

son_of_foley
June 1st, 2009, 7:17 AM
I think he's a good player and better than Garner

Torn
June 1st, 2009, 7:18 AM
He's alright. I forced myself not to rate him as a player because he plays for QPR so I don't have a true opinion of him. Adebola is a good signing, McGoldrick is shit.

Still waiting for Brentford's first signing, there's a takeover bid in progress so Andy Scott doesn't have his budget sorted yet.

Red Dog
June 1st, 2009, 7:19 AM
I think he's a good player and better than Garner
Blackstock?

From what I've seen I'd say no. I think Garner was developing into a top player untl Davies took over and promptly stuck him on the bench.

You can have Tyson if you want.

Torn: I know fuck all about McGoldrick to be honest. Seen him much?

son_of_foley
June 1st, 2009, 7:25 AM
Yeah Blackstock. Scored goals everywhere he's been including us on loan.

I'ld rather not have Tyson cheers. Would rather give dwain Chambers a go they probably have the same skillset

Torn
June 1st, 2009, 7:26 AM
A bit, I don't know if you were at the Southampton away game but I went with my Forest mate to that and he was rubbish then, he's been shit every time I've seen them on TV too. Doesn't seem to be a very good finisher. I'd say he's League One level at the moment, £1m for him is a bit of a stretch surely especially with Southampton's finances.

I'ld rather not have Tyson cheers. Would rather give dwain Chambers a go they probably have the same skillset

Ahaha excellent.

MichaelC
June 1st, 2009, 7:28 AM
Your short sightedness and lack of vision could lead to us falling out here UK Blue. You are the FA and I am Trevor Brooking. For the good of the game.

You will relegate West Ham next time their manager takes ill?

I like the Championship. I think Reading, West Brom and Derby'll be making serious pushes for promotion (their parachute packages end at the end of the next season, which might well be trouble for Sheff United this season), with Swansea, Peterborough and Ipswich as dark horses.

Newcastle and Boro will struggle.

Scunthorpe, Plymouth and Blackpool to go down, with Barnsley staying up by the hook of thier teeth again.

son_of_foley
June 1st, 2009, 7:31 AM
I think Scunthorpe could do quite well. Doncaster will struggle if they lose the big guns.

MichaelC
June 1st, 2009, 7:36 AM
I think Scunthorpe could do quite well. Doncaster will struggle if they lose the big guns.

Scunthorpe flattered to decieve last time, which colours my views on them.

That, and one of mum's colleagues is a Scunthorpe fan, so its amusing to have someone to take the piss out of, seeing as most folk just take the piss out of my Jags.

Gary J
June 1st, 2009, 7:38 AM
I think Watford could do quiet well next season they looked decent at the end of last season. I think Reading might struggle in mid table now Coppell has gone and i don't they will be able to hold on the likes of Doyle and Hunt.

MichaelC
June 1st, 2009, 7:42 AM
I think Watford could do quiet well next season they looked decent at the end of last season. I think Reading might struggle in mid table now Coppell has gone and i don't they will be able to hold on the likes of Doyle and Hunt.

True, but they still have Leeds/West Ham syndrome, where they get this one last season to get back.

Of course, look what happened to both of those sides...

Gary J
June 1st, 2009, 7:51 AM
There is that but they released a load of players didn't they. Lita and Hahnemann were two of the ones i can remember. i think they are preparing to rebuild i just see mid-table consolidation from them.

Red Dog
June 1st, 2009, 8:06 AM
A bit, I don't know if you were at the Southampton away game but I went with my Forest mate to that and he was rubbish then, he's been shit every time I've seen them on TV too. Doesn't seem to be a very good finisher. I'd say he's League One level at the moment, £1m for him is a bit of a stretch surely especially with Southampton's finances.
The one where Garner scored that goal from about 35 yards. Yeah I went can't say I remember McGoldrick though. Thats probably not a good sign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USx7xbb_ZGI

Torn
June 1st, 2009, 8:09 AM

There is that but they released a load of players didn't they. Lita and Hahnemann were two of the ones i can remember. i think they are preparing to rebuild i just see mid-table consolidation from them.

Tabb unsuprisingly kept Hunt out of the side at the end of the season (from my point of view, as he was always the superior player when they were both with us at the same time), so Reading would be wise to cash in on him. With Hahneman, he's old now and they have better keepers there. Ben Hamer for one, along with Federici who will surely be number 1 and Mikkel Andersen. Lita was also wank, so releasing those players will help to move them forward if anything.

son_of_foley
June 1st, 2009, 8:18 AM
Lita had a shit attitude. Should've sold him in January though.

Hahneman was bollocks. No positioning skills at all

son_of_foley
June 1st, 2009, 8:20 AM

I think Rodgers is making the right moves at the minute but financially how strong are they? There were rumours when Boothroyd left that a winding up order was close but that all seems to have died down now

Gary J
June 1st, 2009, 8:28 AM
Tabb unsuprisingly kept Hunt out of the side at the end of the season (from my point of view, as he was always the superior player when they were both with us at the same time), so Reading would be wise to cash in on him. With Hahneman, he's old now and they have better keepers there. Ben Hamer for one, along with Federici who will surely be number 1 and Mikkel Andersen. Lita was also wank, so releasing those players will help to move them forward if anything.

Still not convinced i think Coppell played a big part and he is a huge loss. I don't think Lita is wank at all and i think if he gets his attitude sorted he could be a big factor in a championship teams season.

Jay tabb is class though just bought him for Preston on my footy manager game and he's doing the business which is good because of the money involved. (It's a network game and we've all put twenty quid in and highest placed league finish gets all the cash.)

son_of_foley
June 1st, 2009, 8:29 AM
I see Peterborough have denied Reading the opportunity to talk to Darren Ferguson despite him saying he want's to speak to them.

Celtic made a formal approach for Martinez but apparently he is the #1 choice at wigan. Be interesting to see what happens here as well as QPRs appointment.

Gary J
June 1st, 2009, 8:33 AM
I think Rodgers is making the right moves at the minute but financially how strong are they? There were rumours when Boothroyd left that a winding up order was close but that all seems to have died down now

I think the most important thing is that they keep hold of Rodgers.

Gary J
June 1st, 2009, 8:35 AM
Be interesting to see what happens here as well as QPRs appointment.

Zico or Jim Magilton isn't it for Q.P.R

One's a footballing Legend the other one is Zico.

son_of_foley
June 1st, 2009, 8:41 AM
Why would Zico leave where he is for the championship and a trigger happy board? Would be an odd move. If Jim goes there his career could be dead in the water within 9 months.

I still think Dowie would've got them into the playoffs

Gary J
June 1st, 2009, 8:43 AM
To be honest why would any manager go there considering the stories that came out when Sousa was there.

Red Dog
June 1st, 2009, 8:45 AM
To be honest why would any manager go there considering the stories that came out when Sousa was there.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42378000/jpg/_42378157_briefcase203.jpg

Gary J
June 1st, 2009, 8:55 AM
Well yeah there is that. But i think most sensible managers would back away from it knowing full well they wouldn't be given the time to achieve something.

Red Dog
June 1st, 2009, 10:27 AM
Well yeah there is that. But i think most sensible managers would back away from it knowing full well they wouldn't be given the time to achieve something.
True but football is full of mercanaries these days.

They won't have a problem attracting a puppet manager.

Chris Scott
June 1st, 2009, 2:03 PM
Blackpool and Cardiff are currently two of my likable teams over everyone else.

Red Dog
June 1st, 2009, 4:43 PM
Why Cardiff?

I assume you've never been there :wtf: Horrible set of cunts they are.

Chris Scott
June 1st, 2009, 7:16 PM
Been when they had the finals at the Millennium but no never been to watch Cardiff play but met a few when they played us at Anfield couple of years ago. Don't know why I like them, I enjoy watching them on Sky plus I like Dave Jones.

son_of_foley
June 2nd, 2009, 3:47 AM
They are running themselves financially into the ground I think. Once they sell Ledley to balance the books the big saleable assets are a bit thin on the ground

Gary J
June 2nd, 2009, 5:38 AM
I thought they were doing ok financially which is suprising considering Ridsdale is there. They've just bought Chopra back for £4m so they can't be doing that bad unless he's 'living the dream' again.

son_of_foley
June 2nd, 2009, 5:41 AM
My understanding was they had to sell Ramsey to keep the club going and they have a massive amount to be repaid next year £15m or something. A lot of the debt is now from the new stadium but if this big loan is to be repaid that could be trouble for them?

See palace were docked a point? Weird. Why chose a punishment like that which will have no bearing on league placement etc?

Gary J
June 2nd, 2009, 5:44 AM
What was they docked a point for ?

son_of_foley
June 2nd, 2009, 5:56 AM
Fielding Rui Fonte despite the fact his loan from Arsenal had expired the week before or something

Red Dog
June 2nd, 2009, 6:26 AM
Been when they had the finals at the Millennium but no never been to watch Cardiff play but met a few when they played us at Anfield couple of years ago. Don't know why I like them, I enjoy watching them on Sky plus I like Dave Jones.
Fair enough. I've been to Cardiff twice and its not the nicest place to go to watch your team.

I've also been to the Millenium stadium to see the Manics and people were kicking off there aswel. Which was out of order really. I think thats why I don't like them.

Red Dog
June 3rd, 2009, 7:56 AM
Why has a mod not changed this thread title as politely requested? :mad:

1_Pablo_Angel
June 3rd, 2009, 7:58 AM
They are useless. Try making a thread in site feedback and PMing all the admins. KM seems to be around a bit at the moment, try her.

If Topping was a mod we wouldn't be in this sorry mess :nono:

JIJ
June 3rd, 2009, 7:59 AM
Magilton :\

Expected, but still a little underwhelming. He hasn't really done anything so far in his career. Can't help but feel his appointment has a lot to do with the way Ipswich turned us over at LR the past couple of years.

1_Pablo_Angel
June 3rd, 2009, 8:00 AM
Does David O'Leary even get linked to jobs anymore?

son_of_foley
June 3rd, 2009, 8:01 AM
You'll probably be linked with Healy within the next week then

Red Dog
June 3rd, 2009, 8:23 AM
They are useless. Try making a thread in site feedback and PMing all the admins. KM seems to be around a bit at the moment, try her.

If Topping was a mod we wouldn't be in this sorry mess :nono:
Done.

I expect instant results.

1_Pablo_Angel
June 3rd, 2009, 8:31 AM
And apparently, you have them.

Red Dog
June 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
That was quicker than Nathan Tyson.

son_of_foley
June 3rd, 2009, 10:22 AM
If it was like Tyson it would've been spelt wrong surely?

Red Dog
June 3rd, 2009, 10:26 AM
I'm unsure where you're going with this.

He is a crap finisher. Does that equate to bad spelling? :confused:

son_of_foley
June 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
The equivalent of speed and no end product when updating a thread title is surely doing it quickly and wrongly.

Either that or leaving it have finished but I thought that was too literal. Maybe not..

Red Dog
June 3rd, 2009, 10:45 AM
SOF 1 - 0 Red Dog

Destroyed.

Back on topic. Signed any more Burton or Ilkeston stars recently? :lol:

son_of_foley
June 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
I spelt half as have so I don't think I deserve a point.

Nah signed anymore OAP pensioners? Still time to get Andy Cole back

Red Dog
June 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
I would like to think we have learnt our lesson after the fiascos that were Andy Cole and Neil Lennon.

Adebola wont be a regular and wont be on that much £ anyway so he doesn't count.

son_of_foley
June 3rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
I actually think he'll be first choice unless someone else comes in. BD keeps banging on about having a target man.

I also reckon he'll score a good few. He's done well recently has he not?

son_of_foley
June 3rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
Ok I thought he had a better record than 1 in 6 for Bristol in the league.

Edit : He does I am apparently unable to read. 16 in 56 appearances isn't bad at all.

Red Dog
June 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
He was Bristol City's player of the year. And to be fair they finished higher than us! And you.

Earnshaw will be first choice and then I suspect he will rotate Garner, Tyson, Adebola and McGoldrick/Blackstock.

Fuck we have got a lot of strikers.

son_of_foley
June 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
I assume a first choice partnership of Earnshaw with Adebola.

AHAHAH I had forgot Northern Ireland tried to call him up. Jesus those were dark days.

Torn
June 3rd, 2009, 6:06 PM
Magilton must like Andy Scott and Brentford considering the amount of players he's loaned us this season, and I did like him because of this (Jordan Rhodes and Billy Clarke ffs amazing), but QPR? :nono: Better not mean we get any of that scum shite on loan next season.

This Brentford takeover is slightly unsettling me. It should be alright as Bees United (we're run the by fans) should remain some control and the investor, Matthew Benham, is a lifelong Bees fan and has already loaned the club like £3m to help us out so he's a lovely man really. But we've been ruined in the past by dickheads like Ron Noades so I'm still a bit uncertain about it all (then again Benham was the one who paid off all the money we ended up owing Noades so we had no links to him anymore a few years ago). The fact that it's blocking signings is also slightly worrying, by this stage last season we had signed 7 players already or something.

Torn
June 3rd, 2009, 6:45 PM
Ahah sof why have you signed Buxton. He was shit for Mansfield, slow oaf of a defender :lol:

I read you are also after Moxey from Exeter though who is a good player.

son_of_foley
June 4th, 2009, 3:15 AM
We signed him because he was Cloughs player of the year last year and Clough is re-establishing the reserves in which he's hoping to put 'prospects' in to see how they develop. Shouldn't get near the first team with Nyatanga/Addison/Leacock/OBrien and a new signing all ahead of him.

We signed some young midfielder from non-league too for the same reason.

Croft and Moxey are 1st team signings. Barker, Brayford and Bennet would be the same. More going out than coming in. The things nigel did with a first choice team were very impressive it was only when injuries started collecting (addison,leacock,green,commons,porter,davies,mceve ley ) that he wasnt getting results

Red Dog
June 4th, 2009, 6:29 AM
Jake Buxton is 24 mate. He won't be a reserve.

Face it, you conference manager is packing your team with conference players :lol:

son_of_foley
June 4th, 2009, 6:34 AM
Is this like when your fans claimed Kris Commons was a league 1 player and he then knocked you lot on your arse?

son_of_foley
June 4th, 2009, 6:35 AM
I find it hilarious when you guys go on about signing players on verge of prem sides and quality ccc players when most of that calibre of players have been our downfall recently. Todd, Ellington etc

Red Dog
June 4th, 2009, 6:39 AM
Is this like when your fans claimed Kris Commons was a league 1 player and he then knocked you lot on your arse?
I never said he was a League 1 player. He is a good championship player and we did miss him to a certain extent.

Saying that I'd love to knock his teeth down his throat.

We're not linked with any Prem players as far as I know, except Gunter, and he's quality. Half our targets play for Southampton or QPR!

Torn
June 4th, 2009, 8:04 AM
Buxton isn't a prospect he's a stupid clumsy slow wanker who regularly got rinsed by League Two strikers and was a mainstay in an awful Mansfield side that got relegated despite having a 20+ goalscorer.

I'm not laughing at Clough buying players from our league and below but there are plenty of non league prospects that arn't rubbish like Buxton. Also Alan Bennett > Ryan Bennett

Hulkamaniac
June 4th, 2009, 8:10 AM
Not many Newcastle fans posting in here considering they are the biggest club in the lower leagues. They've probably all stopped supporting them.

JIJ
June 4th, 2009, 8:15 AM
Keep that shit in the Glory Hunters thread.

Red Dog
June 4th, 2009, 8:52 AM
Not many Newcastle fans posting in here considering they are the biggest club in the lower leagues. They've probably all stopped supporting them.
I don't think they are any bigger than Leeds or Forest to be honest.

All they have is the fans and time will tell if they keep them.

RFF Champ
June 4th, 2009, 8:53 AM

I don't get this.

There have never been many Newcastle fans on here. And the discussion has hardly been related to Newcastle the past few pages. I'm sure there will be more Newcastle talk when Shearer's future becomes clear.

JIJ
June 4th, 2009, 8:58 AM
Mik's just trying to bait people, its immature and we should all just ignore him.

Red Dog
June 4th, 2009, 8:58 AM
Whats your opinion on Blackstock and Camp?

son_of_foley
June 4th, 2009, 9:02 AM
Buxton isn't a prospect he's a stupid clumsy slow wanker who regularly got rinsed by League Two strikers and was a mainstay in an awful Mansfield side that got relegated despite having a 20+ goalscorer.

I'm not laughing at Clough buying players from our league and below but there are plenty of non league prospects that arn't rubbish like Buxton. Also Alan Bennett > Ryan Bennett

Are you trying to suggest a , what would he have been 22 year old centre back who was captain of mansfield, could not have improved? Are you saying you are a better judge of his ability than Nigel Clough who brought him to Burton after Buxton turned down a contract from Mansfield btw.

He will be a reserve. We got him for free. He's on a 12 month contract with low wages and high bonuses it's incentivised for him to try and get in the team as opposed to all the wasters jewell signed who have a massive weekly income without playing

Torn
June 4th, 2009, 9:07 AM
You don't improve from being a really slow clumsy typical dross League Two centre back to being a Championship level defender after a year in the conference. Fair enough on the reasons for the move I think, they make sense but I'm saying it would be a more effective strategy of the player in question wasn't useless.

son_of_foley
June 4th, 2009, 9:09 AM
Nigel Clough will sort him out just like he did with Teale and Savage

Torn
June 4th, 2009, 9:14 AM
BRENTFORD are in pole position to sign Dagenham & Redbridge duo Ben Strevens and Sam Saunders.
As many as eight clubs are chasing the out-of-contract pair, including Wycombe Wanderers, Exeter, Leyton Orient and Bradford.
But a source close to the players revealed the Bees lead the race.
Our source said: "Brentford are coming up as champions, so they're in the driving seat.
"Neither of them are money-motivated, they just want to play at the highest level. It's more about ambition.

COME ONNNN SIGN!

Torn
June 4th, 2009, 9:17 AM
We're also strongly linked with Danny Foster, another Daggers player. I have no idea why we're apparently trying to sign their entire squad.

Brendan Rodgers is the new Reading manager, interesting, he did well at Watford for the few months that he was there.

son_of_foley
June 4th, 2009, 9:23 AM
Yeah Watford could well struggle again

Gary J
June 4th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Yeah i think my prediction of Watford doing well this season won't happen now Rodgers has left.

son_of_foley
June 4th, 2009, 10:52 AM
You did qualify by saying if Rodgers stayed so thats fair enough

son_of_foley
June 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Martinez almost certainly away to Wigan. Wouldn't be suprised to see Bodde and Scotland go as well as a bit of a resurgence for Koumas.

Hopefully swansea are buggered, their fans are far too smug.

Torn
June 4th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I do not like Swansea really mostly because of that dickhead Leon Knight when he was with them. Yeah Bodde to Wigan would be the obvious one, has he recovered from his injury yet?

son_of_foley
June 4th, 2009, 11:47 AM
No think he's due for pre-season though

Torn
June 4th, 2009, 11:53 AM
That 45 yarder he scored was ridiculous. I reckon Swansea would have got into the play offs if he had stayed. Maybe ANGEL RANGEL to go too, do Wigan need a right back? Possibly Gomez. Every half decent Swansea player and dodgy Spanish pub players are going to get linked with Wigan now.

son_of_foley
June 4th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Gomez might indeed fancy this move now. Wonder if Bodde,Scotland and Gomez would be the valencia replacement with a bit of cash left over.

RFF Champ
June 4th, 2009, 12:04 PM
They've got Melchiot who is their captain at right back. Knocking on though.

connorboy
June 4th, 2009, 4:13 PM
Charlton will win League One this season PROVIDED they keep Shelvey and Bailey and hopefully Racon

Torn
June 4th, 2009, 4:25 PM
Charlie Mac is going to destroy you when you come to Griffin Park.

connorboy
June 7th, 2009, 4:46 PM
I remember him scoring in the Premiership against Newcastle, naaah Jonjo and Bailey will wee all over you!

Torn
June 7th, 2009, 7:18 PM
Following on from earlier guesses of who Martinez would bring along from Swansea, apparantly Wigan have gone and bid for ANGEL RANGEL

Also where the fuck have Rotherham gone and got a club record 150k from to buy Tom Pope :wtf:

son_of_foley
June 9th, 2009, 4:19 AM
Bid for Moxey accepted

son_of_foley
June 9th, 2009, 5:30 AM
Ohh an Mark Fottheringham or whatever is coming for trial after his trial with Espanyol. Wonder if the championship is starting to get noticed by other leagues and if the exchange rate might mean a few more doing a Tyrone Mears

Torn
June 9th, 2009, 11:31 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11750_5371078,00.html

League Two champions Brentford are set to snap-up three players from Dagenham & Redbridge, skysports.com understands.
Sam Saunders, Danny Foster and Ben Strevens are all set to quit The Daggers and join Andy Scott's side.
The trio are all out of contract at Victoria Road, and despite offers to stay at the club, they are ready to walk away from the Essex side.
Skysports.com understands the trio were all in West London undergoing medicals with The Bees.

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper: AMAZING

son_of_foley
June 9th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Wondering where Kyel Reid will end up? He does spell his name in this weird manner doesn't he? Think he's a good player

Torn
June 9th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah he does spell his name like a spastic. Wolves maybe after his loan spell at the end of last year, on a free he'd be good cover for them.

son_of_foley
June 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM
He should look at Eagles and see what first team football could do for him

Torn
June 9th, 2009, 8:04 PM
Watford are after Andy Scott APPAZ. As well as Pardew and a few others. They can fuck off. Don't see it happening, they are cash strapped and Scott signed a five year contract last summer.

Wooooo
June 9th, 2009, 8:12 PM
Sunderlands new owner has stated he expects a top ten finish this season, which I find hard to believe, I'd love it but I see it unlikely without 5 new players, but its been indicated the cah is there,

son_of_foley
June 10th, 2009, 3:14 AM
That's brilliant and all but that's premiership talk

son_of_foley
June 11th, 2009, 12:27 PM
So Swansea have given Wigan a bit of a bloodied nose as they've held up the Martinez appointment and fucked up their news conference. MADNESS

1_Pablo_Angel
June 11th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Pissing off Dave Whelan is never a bad thing.

Torn
June 11th, 2009, 12:47 PM
1PA as you are a new Walsall fan you should be upset to find that MK Dons have bought star striker JABO IBEHRE from them.

Norwich have signed Gill from Exeter, he had a good season but I think League Two is probably his level :\

Torn
June 11th, 2009, 12:54 PM
KEVIN O'CONNOR, who is brilliant, has signed a contract extension for 2 more years so that will take him to 12 years as a Brentford player. Unprecedented in the lower leagues really.

1_Pablo_Angel
June 11th, 2009, 1:08 PM
1PA as you are a new Walsall fan you should be upset to find that MK Dons have bought star striker JABO IBEHRE from them.

Norwich have signed Gill from Exeter, he had a good season but I think League Two is probably his level :\

I am gutted :shifty:

Keep me posted on all things Walsall Torn :yes:

I don't have a bloody clue.

Torn
June 11th, 2009, 1:31 PM
I have no idea about Walsall either, the only player I knew about was Ibehre and they've gone and bloody sold him.

1_Pablo_Angel
June 11th, 2009, 2:18 PM
Shit. Suppose I'll have to do a bit of research before the start of the season then.

Gary J
June 12th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Isn't Michael Ricketts at Walsall now ?

Torn
June 12th, 2009, 10:15 AM
He's been released

Red Dog
June 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I am gutted :shifty:

Keep me posted on all things Walsall Torn :yes:

I don't have a bloody clue.
Walsall always, always beat us.

I hope they fold.

Torn
June 12th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Taken over from the 1-11 thread about PAUL SMITH

He is a decent enough shot stopper but he can't catch crosses and his kicking is horrendous. Which is weird because I'm sure he was on the verge of an England call up when at Southampton. He was quality in Leagie one though

It's no coincidence that our best form last season was the two occasions we brought in loan keepers to replace him (Camp and Turner).

I would be very suprised if we started next season with him as number one. And I don't suspect he would want to be a number 2 so on that basis, you never know!

Yeah he was doing well at Southampton, we played them in the FA Cup that year and he was great then, I remember when Niemi was injured so he was first choice and one of the pundits on MOTD reckoned he was one of the best keepers in the Premiership :wtf:

My forest mate said he hasn't been the same after some back injury?

Gary J
June 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM
He's been released

Thats my knowledge of Walsall over with then.

Red Dog
June 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I can't recall him having an injury. I thought he was dropped because his confidence appeared literally shot to pieces. The annoying thing was he was quoted as saying something like "I've not worked on anything specific I don't know why I've been dropped"

Er yeah alright Paul, maybe because we're bottom of the league and you were shipping goals left, right and centre! To be fair the defence was shit too but when Camp came in it looked a million times better.

Maybe Davies will get the best out of him or maybe he will go somewhere else and do well cause I don't think he is a bad keeper, but I think we need better.

1_Pablo_Angel
June 12th, 2009, 11:56 AM
How do you literally shoot someone's confidence to pieces?

Are you just doing this to annoy me?

Red Dog
June 12th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I'm literally being ironic.

JIJ
June 12th, 2009, 12:01 PM
:lol:

1PA has fucked himself right up with that irony thing.

1_Pablo_Angel
June 12th, 2009, 12:06 PM
You and Red Dog are so unimaginative you keep using the same insult; which it is clear to everyone doesn't apply in the slightest.

Really poor effort.

JIJ
June 12th, 2009, 12:08 PM
:\

I haven't really used it much, I just find it funny.

After all, its not that much different to the way everyone keeps going on about me not staying away for 6 months. I don't see you moaning about that everytime someone uses it.

1_Pablo_Angel
June 12th, 2009, 12:10 PM
But you didn't stay away for 6 months.

I am perfectly aware of the meaning of irony.

JIJ
June 12th, 2009, 12:12 PM
If you wanna give it out, you gotta learn to take it.

It's only a message board for crying out loud, I don't really give a shit if you know the meaning of irony or not.

Get some perspective Leeroy.

1_Pablo_Angel
June 12th, 2009, 12:16 PM

You make no sense.

On the one hand, people are laughing at you for promising to leave and then going back on said promise.

On the other, Red Dog (and to a lesser extent you) keep HILARIOUSLY using the term ironic in response to my posts. Despite the fact I obviously know what it means and never used it incorrectly. Why wouldn't I make this rather obvious point?

There is no similarity.

Also... I don't really 'give' anything 'out' much. I just don't like people trolling the football forum. Not saying you're doing that now btw.

1_Pablo_Angel
June 12th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Thats my knowledge of Walsall over with then.

CLAYTON INCE. Trinidad and Tobago keeper, and my new footballing hero :bowdown:

Also Troy Deeney, 20 year old lad from Birmingham who finished top scorer with 12 last season. ONE TO WATCH.

JIJ
June 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM
You love to join in when posters are taking the piss out of others (me, KMH, RD etc.) yet when anyone says it to you suddenly its "boring and unimaginative" and its cluttering up the forums.

You are a strange case. You say myself and RD are a joke yet you continue to be baited into arguments (often you start them yourself). Why bother with us?

1_Pablo_Angel
June 12th, 2009, 12:24 PM
People using literally incorrectly annoys me :dunno:

You love to join in when posters are taking the piss out of others (me, KMH, RD etc.) yet when anyone says it to you suddenly its "boring and unimaginative" and its cluttering up the forums.

That's just bollocks. I've hardly even joined in in the thread with your name on it. And you are the most annoying cunt on here. I never jumped on Red Dog when everyone else was when he signed up here. KMH is fine. You should stop trying to include him in your gay little clique, he's much better than you and Red Dog.

As for people slating me, do what you like in the asylum. I call it boring and unimaginative when you're being a twat in the football forum.

Feel free to get the last word in, I feel quite guilty for boring the pants off everyone in here again. Time to stop this.

JIJ
June 12th, 2009, 12:25 PM
You can't see your own hypocrisy :no:

Gary J
June 12th, 2009, 12:56 PM
CLAYTON INCE. Trinidad and Tobago keeper, and my new footballing hero :bowdown:

Also Troy Deeney, 20 year old lad from Birmingham who finished top scorer with 12 last season. ONE TO WATCH.

Didn't know Clayton Ince was there thought he was still at Crewe admittedly this is based on him completing the Crossbar Challenge on Soccer am. So i suppose i was being a bit naive thinking he was still there.

Red Dog
June 12th, 2009, 12:59 PM
You and Red Dog are so unimaginative you keep using the same insult; which it is clear to everyone doesn't apply in the slightest.

Really poor effort.
I actually used two seperate insults in the same four word post.

Bit of credit please.

Torn
June 12th, 2009, 1:57 PM

I've heard of him because Jay signed him in Fantasy Football at the end of last season, but don't know anything about him at all. If Jay signed him that means he's probably bollocks though.

Torn
June 12th, 2009, 2:22 PM
League One newcomers Brentford are close to bringing in Dagenham & Redbridge trio Sam Saunders, Danny Foster and Ben Strevens.
All three are out of contract at Victoria Road and despite offers from the club to stay look set to join Andy Scott's side.
Winger Saunders told skysports.com that his move should be completed sooner rather than later.
"Nothing has been signed yet, but we aren't far away from concluding things," said Saunders.
"The talks are at a very advanced stage and I've already completed a medical, so it should be happening sooner rather than later.
"Every player wants to play at the highest level possible and with my contract expiring it felt like the right time for me to see if I can compete at League One.
"It was gutting to miss out on the play-offs last season at Dagenham, which would have given me the opportunity to play at League One possibly, but this offer was just too good to turn down really for my career."

Sam Saunders says it himself that he's very close to signing for us, YEEEEESSSSSS

Torn
June 12th, 2009, 2:27 PM
Also 7 subs are allowed next season, can't say I'm bothered really :\

Torn
June 12th, 2009, 2:35 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5375466,00.html

Shrimps fail to land Gash
Morecambe had hoped to entice Gash to Christie Park with a £42,000 bid

:lol: blahahaha

Red Dog
June 13th, 2009, 7:27 AM
Also 7 subs are allowed next season, can't say I'm bothered really :\
I'm not sure we will have enough players.

BBF
June 14th, 2009, 5:54 PM
Torn told me I need to post more in this thread so I thought I might as well.

Barnet have put an article on their site detailing how far Barnet fans would have to travel this seson to watch every away game. It's 7,094 miles round trip. Thats insane but League 2 is mostly dominated by northern teams so understandable.

For a club the size of Barnet though, thats' an enormous amount of money to spend. Got me thinking about the possibility of splitting league one and two into a Championship North and South, much like the BSP and BSP North and South. What do people think? Would obviously never happen but I thought I'd see who would end up where. This is what I came up with.

North
Carlisle
Hartlepool
Huddersfield
Leeds
Oldham
Stockport
Tranmere
Accrington
Bradford
Burton Albion
Bury
Chesterfield
Crewe
Darlington
Grimsby
Hereford
Lincoln
Macclesfield
Morecambe
Notts County
Port Vale
Rochdale
Rotherham
Shrewsbury

South

Aldershot
Barnet
Bournemouth
Cheltenham
Dagenham
Northampton
Torquay
Brentford
Brighton
Bristol Rovers
Charlton
Colchester
Exeter
Gillingham
Leyton Orient
Millwall
MK Dons
Norwich
Southampton
Southend
Swindon
Walsall
Wycombe
Yeovil

Seems really interesting and possibly something I'd like to see happen but something that never will. Thoughts?

Torn
June 14th, 2009, 5:55 PM
That would be shit mate.

BBF
June 14th, 2009, 6:02 PM
You really think so? I'm only looking at it from Barnet's point of view, where we'd save a shit load of money and probably get more away support.

Errr, i mean, fuck off, go and wank over Charlie SPACDonald.

JIJ
June 14th, 2009, 6:12 PM
Nah I wouldn't like that.

Torn
June 14th, 2009, 6:15 PM
You really think so? I'm only looking at it from Barnet's point of view, where we'd save a shit load of money and probably get more away support.

If you get promoted you'll get that. This is an easy way out without having to actually achieve anything.

Wooooo
June 14th, 2009, 6:17 PM
It would surely make the league a bit more amatuerish? isn't it better that your playing teams from across the country like the top teams?

BBF
June 14th, 2009, 6:18 PM
Its basically what happened in the BSP North/South. It saved quite a few clubs from going out of business. Barnet are actually one of the most financially stable clubs in the football league so it was more hypothetical than anything.

Barnet are being fucking boring at the moment so it was either post about this or the fixtures coming out on wednesday.

Who do you want on the first day? And Carling Cup first round draw is on Tuesday. Who'd you want in that?

JIJ
June 14th, 2009, 6:19 PM
QPR vs. Brentford

Torn
June 14th, 2009, 6:21 PM
LEEDS AT HOME.

And we are in the same group as QPR so I'd love those cunts in the Carling Cup please.

QPR vs. Brentford

Ahah YES.

BBF
June 14th, 2009, 6:22 PM
I want Bournemouth away first game. Would be a nice trip and better than the 28th December game last season.

One of Southampton, Brentford or Charlton in the cup please.

JIJ
June 14th, 2009, 6:24 PM
LEEDS AT HOME.

And we are in the same group as QPR so I'd love those cunts in the Carling Cup please.

Ahah YES.

Rowlands would love to knock you bitter cunts out.

Torn
We better not get someone shit like Barnet.

Bournemouth away was brilliant last year, fantastic day. And a brilliant performance with 10 men that basically won us the title.

Torn
Rowlands would love to knock you bitter cunts out.

Marcus Bean would love to break his legs :yes:

JIJ
June 14th, 2009, 6:26 PM
Marcus Bean :lol:

He was alright for a few games.

Torn
June 14th, 2009, 6:29 PM
League Two was too easy for him, League One will be fine, Championship above his level.

DJ Campbell better not sign for you lot, I will be upset if he does.

Red Dog
June 15th, 2009, 10:29 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher ... tml#097608 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2009/06/secrets_of_the_fixture_compute.html#097608)

Ever wondered why you've had to travel the length of the country on a wet Tuesday night to watch your team in action?

Or you haven't played at home on Boxing Day for the last three years?

Like me, you've probably just blamed the fixture computer, that mythical piece of technology that determines where you will be and when throughout the football season.

I have always imagined it to be some great beast of a machine like bertha, firing out tickertape full of fixtures while some over-worked scientist desperately tries to make sense of the information spewing forth.

The fixtures for the 2009-2010 season are released at 1000 BST on Wednesday and last week I spoke to some of the key people involved in the formation of the fixture list.

I wanted to find out exactly how the fixture list is put together and just how difficult a job it is. Needless to say I spent a large chunk of last weekend in a dark and cool room as my brain tried to come to terms with its most serious case of information overload since I asked my wife to point out my most obvious flaws.

Putting the fixture list together is incredibly complex - with a whole series of factors ensuring it is an increasingly difficult task.

Just to give you one example; every club is paired with another with regard to when they play their home and away fixtures. This is done for a number of reasons, one being so that clubs like Everton and Liverpool do not play at home on the same weekend.

West Ham, it turns out, are paired with Dagenham & Redbridge. But for reasons of revenue Southend request they do not play at home on the same day as the Hammers as they believe it impacts upon their attendance.

Southend, though, are in Essex, as are Colchester, so they cannot play together on the same weekend. Colchester share stewards with Ipswich so those two clubs also request they do not play home games on the same weekend. Transport links dictate Ipswich and Norwich do not play together on the same weekend either. In other words, when West Ham play at home can have an impact on when a club as far away as Norwich (108.8 miles) play their home fixtures. And there are 12 other professional clubs in London....

Confused? Read on and I guarantee you will be.

The compilation of the fixture list is done jointly between the Premier League and the Football League. The whole process starts upwards of a year in advance when Fifa and Uefa release their match calendars, but work starts in earnest in the final months of the previous season.

The Football League, for example, sends out a questionnaire to all their clubs in March. This is a club's opportunity to request specific dates they would like to avoid and what other team they would like to be paired with. The questionnaire is jointly signed off by the police and also reflects their concerns - issues such as ensuring high-profile matches do not clash with big events in a city.

During this time the main man in the process - Glenn Thompson of Atos Origin, an international IT services company, - starts the process he describes as sequencing.

Most of the year Glenn works as an IT professional in Scotland but he has been compiling the fixtures since the 1993-94 season and describes the task both as an enormous puzzle and his summer job. He is the man who owns the laptop that is the fixture computer.

Sequencing involves mapping out on what days all the fixtures will take place and the pattern of home and away games that a team will play.

There are rules governing sequencing - for example clubs will play no more than two home games consecutively and, with one eye on the financial situation at lower league clubs, the games either side of an FA Cup fixture should not both be away from home.

But slotting all the fixtures into the calendar is becoming more and more difficult.

Paul Snellgrove is the Football League fixtures officer. I get the impression he is a very amiable man but mention the fixture calendar and it quickly becomes obvious this is a complicating factor in his life.

The increase in European club competition fixtures - with the inaugural Europa League next season - is eating into the available space; as are international friendlies and World Cup qualifiers. Next season is followed by the World Cup so the campaign ends early. The Champions League final next season takes place on a Saturday, eating into another weekend when Premier League fixtures cannot be played.

Out of necessity, next season's play-off finals are split across two weekends, with the Championship finale taking place on the same day as the Champions League final.

There are 10 rounds of midweek Championship fixtures to squeeze in, six for League One and League Two and four in the Premier League. Then you have the FA Cup, the Carling Cup and the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

The process of sequencing took Thompson 10 days this year - and once the season finished he plotted his pairings into a grid and started wading through the lists of requests from the clubs and the police. Snellgrove estimated there were about 90 this year from the Premier and Football League clubs, while on average Thompson reckons about 80% of the home and away requests are accommodated.

He also manually creates the fixtures for Boxing Day and 28 December to try to minimise the travelling distance for fans. As Thompson readily admits, the computer has no concept of the distance between grounds.

Once the sequencing and plotting was finished - are you still with me here? - Thompson fed all the information into the programme on his laptop. The methodology was created in 1982 and was updated a decade ago. Way back when the computer was a desktop based in Wilmslow and compiling a division's fixtures was an overnight job. These days it can knock out a division in 5-10 minutes.

Five days after the Championship play-off final Thompson produced his first draft of the fixtures. From that moment onwards it was all a case of refinement, refinement, refinement, with Thompson returning to his computer 30-40 times to try to improve his list.

These might include issues such as potentially sensitive fixtures being played on the opening or final weekends of the season and derby fixtures taking place in midweek.

As Snellgrove puts it: "There is a huge amount of information crunched - by the time the fixtures actually come out the original list has been changed goodness knows how many times."

At this stage only Thompson sees the list, as he adjusts and tweaks it until he comes up with a calendar that he is happy to take to the Premier League and the Football League.

Last Wednesday, Thompson headed to Preston where he met with both the governing bodies - and a further process of refinement took place over the following days.

Thompson reckons he does the job because he enjoys it and derives great satisfaction from producing a body or work that has a very tangible end product. But it must be an agonising, head-scratching process that slowly strips you of the will to live.

For instance, every time a fixture is changed it affects at least seven other fixtures and can easily impact on as many as 48.

Ian Todd is the president of the Football Supporters Federation and sits on the Fixtures Working Party that meets to discuss Thompson's list. One year he objected to Morecambe playing at Dagenham & Redbridge in midweek. They tried to alter the fixture but found out that it would negatively impact on so many other games that what Todd calls "the least worst option" was to maintain the status quo.

The Fixtures Working Party met last Saturday to discuss this year's calendar. In addition to Todd, Thompson and Snellgrove, the Premier League and Football Association are represented as well as people from the top flight, Championship, League One and League Two clubs.

Todd estimates he has between 30-45 minutes to scan the fixtures and point out any concerns that might impact negatively on supporters.

Monday involves a meeting with various police chiefs and the British Transport Police. Again, there are potential issues here that had never crossed my mind. They look at potential logistical problems such as whether there will be too many fans from different clubs all heading to one train station in London for a particular set of fixtures on any given weekend.

On Tuesday the list will be signed off and on Wednesday morning we will all see the fruits of a lot of hard work.

Not everyone will be happy, but Snellgrove is confident that if certain clubs requests have not been accommodated then at least he will be able to explain why.

Thompson sometimes has nightmares about the job but always hopes to produce a list that is balanced and neutral. He reckons this year's list will not be the best they have ever produced but will be far from the worst.

The story doesn't end there.

Over the following week Snellgrove will deal with requests by clubs to switch days. Clubs cannot move a game away from an allocated weekend, but they can switch the day of the match. Cheltenham, for example, often play a home game on a Friday when there is a clash with the horse racing festival.

Thompson will start dealing with reserve fixtures, academy games and feeder leagues to the Blue Square Premier.

This year when I see some ridiculous fixtures my club have been asked to play I hope I show a little bit more understanding. Though I seriously doubt it.

The 2009-2010 Premier League, Football League and Scottish fixtures will be available on the BBC website from 1000 BST on Wednesday.

BBF
June 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah I saw that article. Quite interesting to see how one fixture can affect so many. Seems like quite a demanding job too.

I'm still gonna bitch and moan when we have to travel to Darlington on a snowy Tuesday evening only for the game to get a pitch inspection at 7pm. Yeah it was 2 years ago but I'm still bitter.

Torn
June 15th, 2009, 11:21 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_5382270,00.html

League One new boys Brentford have landed winger Sam Saunders, striker Ben Strevens and defender Danny Foster on free transfers.

We've fucking done it. SAUNDERS :hyper:

son_of_foley
June 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Poor D&R sounds like they've had the heart of that team ripped right out.

Torn
June 15th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Their loss is our gain. Saunders is an unbelievable signing for us really. Not too fussed about Strevens I'm sure he'll do a job, Foster is supposed to be pretty good. And he's been on that right hand side with Saunders already so must have some kind of understanding, like Wood and Dickson do for us on the left.

BBF
June 15th, 2009, 11:33 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11719_5382270,00.html

League One new boys Brentford have landed winger Sam Saunders, striker Ben Strevens and defender Danny Foster on free transfers.

We've fucking done it. SAUNDERS :hyper:

NEGREP :(

MichaelC
June 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Does David O'Leary even get linked to jobs anymore?

He got linked to the Celtic job recently somewhere.

They'll be predicting victory by August.

Yeah Watford could well struggle again

I think my earlier predictions about Reading doing well may have been more justified than I had thought.

I do not like Swansea really mostly because of that dickhead Leon Knight when he was with them. Yeah Bodde to Wigan would be the obvious one, has he recovered from his injury yet?

Pissing off Dave Whelan is never a bad thing.

"How dare they ask for compensation for those guys - they'd have probably been sacked soon anyway!"

Tosser.

(Whelan that is, not 1PA)

Yeah I saw that article. Quite interesting to see how one fixture can affect so many. Seems like quite a demanding job too.

I'm still gonna bitch and moan when we have to travel to Darlington on a snowy Tuesday evening only for the game to get a pitch inspection at 7pm. Yeah it was 2 years ago but I'm still bitter.

So if the fixtures are out at 10am on Wednesday, how long before the BBC league table predictor is updated for next season?

I have many hours of my life waiting to procrastinate on that thing.

ruudjase
June 16th, 2009, 5:37 AM
So if the fixtures are out at 10am on Wednesday, how long before the BBC league table predictor is updated for next season?

I have many hours of my life waiting to procrastinate on that thing.[/QUOTE]

Oh my god so true! the amount of essays that have been neglected because of that thing :D

Cant wait for the new fixtures, hope all the London aways are during uni time, could do with newcastle away being in august.

Red Dog
June 16th, 2009, 6:26 AM
To summarise.

1) You can't dissprove they bid.
2) You can't discredit Sammy who has no history of this sort of thing
3) The comparisson was made in relation to a comment about him being a league 1 player something you then confirmed you didn't think. So the comparrison was therefore uneccessary but your comment about him being a league 1 player I thought needed clarification that relegation is not indicitve of individual quality. I never said he was of the standard of Tuncay.
4) Yes, in the role he plays and the role I said he could play in he needs an engine. That's because that role, again a role that I clearly stated, is that of being the midfield engine. In so much as that to be the midfield engine of a team he probably needs a good engine.
5) Him being Northern Irish certainly wasn't part of the argument process. The fact he made the list was clearly stated due to the argument process that interest had been there from a premiership club and he had made masses of progress in the past 12 months.

I guess you probably want to tell me now that if he was to make it he would needed to have made masses of progress in the past 12 months. Something I've continually stated as well as saying I didn't rate him until about 12 months ago as he seemed anonymous during games. He know is making challenges and distributing the ball in a passable way

I'm a bit confused how you can't follow this pretty much everyone else seems to be getting the point I'm making here.

I believe Clingan could be playing in the premiership because in his role as midfield engine he's of a similar calibre to some of the current players (i.e :- dickson ethuhu). Me saying he could be a premiership player doesn't suddenly mean I think he is a world beater just that he could perform a role at a few premiership clubs and do it better than some of the players the currently have.

I thought I'd bring this over here because, well, Sammy Clingan fits better in this thread doesn't he? What with currently playing in League One and all that :lol:

1. You made up the ludicrous statement it's up to you to prove it, not me prove you wrong

2. He has a history of talking bollocks "I've joined Norwich to help them into the Premiership" LOL

3. Thc comparison would make sense if it was a player from Southampton or Charlton, relegated from the Championship like Norwich and Clingan. This has been pointed out to you.

4. I know how he plays. I saw him play for three years. Crab.

5. Of course you're being biased due to his nationality. I actually respect that patriotism. It's wrong but at least it excuses you a bit.

You can't use the "ooh if player x can play then so can he" line. Based on that, that sub who claimed to be George Weah's cousin who came on for Southampton, when he wasn't really a footballer, played so therefore any other player from the football league can play there. Bad logic.

Bottom line is he is a lot crapper than you or indeed himself think he is. I would hand on heart say I wouldn't want him back and our midfield is hardly Xavi and Iniesta :lol:

son_of_foley
June 16th, 2009, 6:37 AM
I didn't make a ludicrous statement you plonker. I talked about a direct quote from a player. Alex said Norwich had confirmed it, something I havent seen myself. If that's the case 2 out of the 3 parties should be enough for you. Every club will not confirm/deny every single bid for a player

2) That's not a lie. He was sold an ambitious club. You've mistaken a poor view on the potential of his new club for him claiming to have had a bid rejected. Something his club would have spoken to him about

3. No the comparisson is a relegation isnt indicative of the quality of a player. I said it didn't make him a league 1 level player in the same way Tuncay isn't of championship ability now. It really is a clear comparisson. It wasn't an attempt to claim he was premiership quality because he got relegated that would be mental. How you are reading it as such I have no idea

4. What's your point. You laughed at me for saying he could play in the premiership because he has an engine. He does. If you're now claiming he doesn't you should make your points clearer. It was cosntrued as you talking of it as a shortcoming of him as a player as that in he just runs around. I've stated the role he could play is that of a facilitator like he plays with Steven Davis for Northern Ireland

5. No, the nationality thing isn't coming in to play. I've listed him as one of 7 players from my country who I think can do a job

You lot also didn't want Commons last year and we were told by many he wouldn't have been first choice so you'll have to understand I'm not holding the average forest fans opinion too high these days

son_of_foley
June 16th, 2009, 6:39 AM
How the hell can you call it a ludicrous statement that's pure nonsense. He's directly quoted. Have you taken 1 too many beatings to the head? How can showing a direct quote be making something up? If you mean Clingan made a ludicrous statement then it would be up to you to prove that

Red Dog
June 16th, 2009, 6:41 AM
You lot also didn't want Commons last year and we were told by many he wouldn't have been first choice so you'll have to understand I'm not holding the average forest fans opinion too high these days
This could go on all day. Lets just say I'm right and leave it. Ok? Good.

However, your last point, I am big enough to say that Commons would have made us a better team last year. And if he wasn't such a complete and utter cunt I'd have him back.

son_of_foley
June 16th, 2009, 6:45 AM
Honestly, you couldn't be more wrong. It actually hurts a little.

You've gone mental because Fulham made a bid for him. I'm a little worried about your emotional grounding.

The vast majority of clubs bad-mouth players when they leave their clubs. Kris Commons was called fat and useless by nearly every forest fan I spoke to. 1 trick pony. 1 good game every 3 etc etc You were all wrong. You are wrong about Sammy. He's not a world beater, I'll never claim he is. He has however improved in the past year to the point that his international form suggests he could do a job at premiership level.

It's clear as day

Red Dog
June 16th, 2009, 7:04 AM
Honestly, you couldn't be more wrong. It actually hurts a little.

You've gone mental because Fulham made a bid for him. I'm a little worried about your emotional grounding.

The vast majority of clubs bad-mouth players when they leave their clubs. Kris Commons was called fat and useless by nearly every forest fan I spoke to. 1 trick pony. 1 good game every 3 etc etc You were all wrong. You are wrong about Sammy. He's not a world beater, I'll never claim he is. He has however improved in the past year to the point that his international form suggests he could do a job at premiership level.

It's clear as day
People bad mouthed Commons because he left to join Derby. Not based on ability. No-one dislikes Clingan, I don't think anyone I knew were even bothered he left.

Same reason Derby fans said Earnshaw was shit. (18 goals in 27 games this season by the way.....)

son_of_foley
June 16th, 2009, 7:11 AM
He was shit for us though. Most of us were aware that he would be good in the championship hence he was asked to stay with us or given the option of new pastures. He was awful all games in a derby shirt.

Prefer Hulse with the formation Nigel is playing

Red Dog
June 16th, 2009, 9:39 AM
He was shit for us though. Most of us were aware that he would be good in the championship hence he was asked to stay with us or given the option of new pastures. He was awful all games in a derby shirt.

Prefer Hulse with the formation Nigel is playing
To be fair the whole team was the "Worst team in history, worst team in history!"

son_of_foley
June 16th, 2009, 9:44 AM
If only we could've had the glory of squeezing up from league 1 due to Leeds point deduction. GLORY DAYS ARE BACK

Red Dog
June 16th, 2009, 9:58 AM
If only we could've had the glory of squeezing up from league 1 due to Leeds point deduction. GLORY DAYS ARE BACK
Rather that than be LITERALLY the worst team in Premiership history.

son_of_foley
June 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Yeah being terrible in the top flight is still better than being 3rd best in the 3rd best league. Bearing in mind we had to do well in the year before to get there.

Red Dog
June 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Yeah being terrible in the top flight is still better than being 3rd best in the 3rd best league. Bearing in mind we had to do well in the year before to get there.
2nd best.

Leeds got deducted points before the season which prompted their early season good form.

Who was your manager when you got promoted?????

son_of_foley
June 16th, 2009, 10:16 AM
No you were 3rd best.

Billy Davies was our manager. He also would've got more points if given the full season than we managed with Davies then Jewell. Not to keep us up but we would have beaten Sunderlands record, the blame can be placed largely at Jewells door. Davies is a championship level manager who is very sucessful at building hard to beat functional teams. He also made some awful signings when he got promoted.

Who was your manager when we beat you twice at your place last season?

Red Dog
June 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
No you were 3rd best.
Davies is a championship level manager who is very sucessful at building hard to beat functional teams.

2nd best.

Its good to know we are in good hands then, cheers!

son_of_foley
June 16th, 2009, 10:26 AM
If he gets you up, bearing in mind he couldnt manage it with Preston despite creating a good team I can't see him being able to keep you up. Then again Megsons managed to keep Bolton up so you never know.

He's not a shit manager, he made a number of shit purchases and played some awful football at times but got results probably more than he should have. Would've probably by guesstimate got 20-24 points in the premiership I reckon. If he had got Jones like he had wanted possibly 28-30.

He's not as good as he thinks he is though

son_of_foley
June 16th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Also the argument that the points deduction somehow helped leeds that season is nonsense. 3rd best in the 3rd best league but it's ok. You can still be proud of it

Red Dog
June 16th, 2009, 10:29 AM
If he gets you up, bearing in mind he couldnt manage it with Preston despite creating a good team I can't see him being able to keep you up. Then again Megsons managed to keep Bolton up so you never know.

He's not a shit manager, he made a number of shit purchases and played some awful football at times but got results probably more than he should have. Would've probably by guesstimate got 20-24 points in the premiership I reckon. If he had got Jones like he had wanted possibly 28-30.

He's not as good as he thinks he is though
No, he definitely isnt as good as he thinks he is.

Its hard to judge him (or anyone) on signings here because of our stupid "acquisition panel". No-one knows if its the manager, Pleat, the chairman who is buying players.

It's well known that the chairman personally bought Andy Cole though.

Brilliant.

son_of_foley
June 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM
He didn't sign Earnshaw and wasn't happy at the signing apparently. EDIT : For derby that is. It's probably common knowledge though but the rumours are he tried to sell him the next day.....

The talk of him and Camp not getting on at Derby are exaggerated. The players he likes are very very loyal to him like Oakley etc

Gary J
June 16th, 2009, 4:44 PM
Rather that than be LITERALLY the worst team in Premiership history.

Have people really forgot about Swindon's season in the premiership.

Red Dog
June 16th, 2009, 5:00 PM
Swindon got 30 points mate.

Derby got 11. :lol:

Gary J
June 16th, 2009, 5:15 PM
Yeah i know but Swindon conceded 100 goals. They only won 5 out of 42 i think they were worse then Derby but yeah it's pretty close between the two of them.

MichaelC
June 16th, 2009, 5:25 PM
I remember when Sunderland were the first team in Premier League history the first time around. (19 points, though they had most of them already when I started watching)

son_of_foley
June 17th, 2009, 4:51 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5383727,00.html
Sheffield United have signed Kyel Reid. Raging. Would have been a brilliant signing for us as well. I think he's a very talented guy. Ched Evans will do well if he plays with this lad and Jamie Ward

son_of_foley
June 17th, 2009, 5:03 AM
DERBY County will get their 2009-10 Championship campaign underway at home to newly-promoted Peterborough United.

Darren Ferguson’s side will visit Pride Park Stadium on Saturday, August 8.
Then, after a midweek Carling Cup first round tie at Rotherham United, the Rams will travel to Scunthorpe United – also promoted from League One last season – on Saturday, August 15.
It will be Derby’s first-ever league match at Glanford Park and the first competitive meeting between the two sides since 1963-4.
Later in the month, on August 29, Nigel Clough’s men face arch rivals Nottingham Forest at the City Ground. The return match at Pride Park is scheduled for January 30.

OOOOOOOOFFFF

Torn
June 17th, 2009, 5:24 AM
Away AGAIN on the first day, to Carlisle. But, Brighton at home the week after, then NORWICH at home on the Tuesday and SOUTHAMPTON AWAY on the Saturday brilliant.

BBF
June 17th, 2009, 6:11 AM
Lincoln away on the first day, quickly followed by a nice trip to Torquay at the end of August.

My two favourite away trips, Morecambe and Bournemouth, are in bloody January and February though!

Red Dog
June 17th, 2009, 7:25 AM
Fucking hell, Reading and West Brom first two games.

The Sheep shaggers in the first month though. That'll do.

son_of_foley
June 17th, 2009, 7:32 AM
Maybe you won't get battered this time. It'll be humiliating if you fail to win 3 times in a row at home. Proper humiliating.

MichaelC
June 17th, 2009, 9:41 AM
Newcastle v West Brom on the opening day.

How happy will the Toon Army be after they wind up with 0 points from the first match day?

son_of_foley
June 17th, 2009, 9:46 AM
That depends on who west brom get in and who they keep. Did they not struggle initially when the went down last time before Mowbray came in?

Red Dog
June 17th, 2009, 9:54 AM
Maybe you won't get battered this time. It'll be humiliating if you fail to win 3 times in a row at home. Proper humiliating.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/blackburn-rovers-3-derby-county-1-its-official-derby-are-the-worst-ever-820786.html

LOL.

son_of_foley
June 17th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Yes you lost twice at home to the worst premiership team in history. If you lost again would you not be a bit humiliated? Even a draw wouldn't quite cut it would it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/7861679.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7883601.stm

I mean you did manage to get a draw at our place due to probably the worst referee of modern times making another blunder.

It just seems a little odd the fact you are stressing how bad a team we were when we utterly humbled you

son_of_foley
June 17th, 2009, 10:06 AM
It's almost akin to Leeds fans laughing at United for losing in the champions league and just think if it wasn't for the points deduction they would probably be where you are now. Interesting that. Even Leicester managed to get out of that division without the big helping hand you got.

son_of_foley
June 17th, 2009, 10:13 AM
In all seriousness though Davies has to get a result in that game surely? I know a few fans were on his back after that other 2, which is always going to happen in that situation. Failing to win again with what should be by that point 'his squad' won't exactly endear him will it?

He started quite poorly with us in the promotion season made a few signings after we had started like bywater and leacock etc but they came good. I have literally no idea what to expect this season. Clough has got us playing amazing football but we could easily be back in a relegation battle it's such an impossible division to call. Wouldn't be too shocked if you finished above us but then Earnshaw seems quite injury prone so it's hard to know.

Having the fixtures infront of you just emphasises it. Peterborough and Scunthorpe to start should be ok but then we all thought that of our start last season and look what happened there.

Red Dog
June 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Yes you lost twice at home to the worst premiership team in history. If you lost again would you not be a bit humiliated? Even a draw wouldn't quite cut it would it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/7861679.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7883601.stm

I mean you did manage to get a draw at our place due to probably the worst referee of modern times making another blunder.

It just seems a little odd the fact you are stressing how bad a team we were when we utterly humbled you
Even though you were utter shit you were to all intents and purposes a Premiership team in 2007. We had spent 3 years in League one and had a league one team (with literally two exceptions). It would be like when West Brom play Scunthorpe this season. Hopefully this summer will see the squads evened out a bit more and we can put you back in your box.

Red Dog
June 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM
It's almost akin to Leeds fans laughing at United for losing in the champions league and just think if it wasn't for the points deduction they would probably be where you are now. Interesting that. Even Leicester managed to get out of that division without the big helping hand you got.
Leeds cheated. They got punished. End of story.

son_of_foley
June 17th, 2009, 10:17 AM
We were to all intents a championship team in 2007. We spent far less than everybody else. That said our squad last year had its strengths.

Also it's nothing like West Brom and Scunthorpe. I think Scunthorpe actually play some decent football.

Red Dog
June 17th, 2009, 10:18 AM
In all seriousness though Davies has to get a result in that game surely? I know a few fans were on his back after that other 2, which is always going to happen in that situation. Failing to win again with what should be by that point 'his squad' won't exactly endear him will it?

I think once it is his team then yes it will be down to him. As it stands he is still working with the rabble that Calderwood left him.

Red Dog
June 17th, 2009, 10:19 AM
We were to all intents a championship team in 2007. We spent far less than everybody else. That said our squad last year had its strengths.

Also it's nothing like West Brom and Scunthorpe. I think Scunthorpe actually play some decent football.
Well seeing as we have spent the best part of a decade selling off whatever decent players we have had I think it's fair to say you spent more than us!

son_of_foley
June 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I meant in relation to premiership teams. Our spending was akin to upper Championship teams I think. Most of the money we did spend that season was horribly wasted. Think only Savage of our first team was signed during that period and even then by god he's paid a lot. Nearly everyone else is rotting in reserves or shipped out (at huge cost as well such as Todd,Miller and others who Billy signed).

As I said I think Billy has to get a result against us. Nigel has 2 away victories to his name in the fixture so that should buy him some grace.

Red Dog
June 17th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I meant in relation to premiership teams. Our spending was akin to upper Championship teams I think. Most of the money we did spend that season was horribly wasted. Think only Savage of our first team was signed during that period and even then by god he's paid a lot. Nearly everyone else is rotting in reserves or shipped out (at huge cost as well such as Todd,Miller and others who Billy signed).

As I said I think Billy has to get a result against us. Nigel has 2 away victories to his name in the fixture so that should buy him some grace.
To be fair though I think given the depth of our squads at the time I think I, and a few other fans I know, are prepared to write off last season and start with a clean slate.

I can't even remember how many times I've been to Gay Pride Park now and seen us not win. At least five. I will be pissed off if it's six.

MichaelC
June 17th, 2009, 11:42 AM
That depends on who west brom get in and who they keep. Did they not struggle initially when the went down last time before Mowbray came in?

I know the season Megson took them up with Norwich, they got horsed 4-1 on the opening day by Walsall.

WHo were later relegated by Paul Merson.

Bluemoon
June 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I love the Forest/Derby - sof/red dog footy rivalry :yes:

Chris Scott
June 17th, 2009, 1:11 PM
It's fun reading the posts.

Tough start for the Geordie's,

Beefy
June 17th, 2009, 2:02 PM
We're at home for the seventh season in a row :cool:

I'm giving up my season ticket this year as I'm moving to Oireland for a couple of years. I'm still hoping to make it to around half of our matches though. Now the fixtures are out I'll book some dirt cheap Ryanair flights. Southampton away on the last day of the season is amazing. Can't wait for that.

Torn
June 17th, 2009, 2:03 PM
Southampton away for me is when I'm not even fucking in Southampton. I'll go anyway, but it's annoying.

We've got you at home on a Tuesday in September, should be good, will be looking to go to that one. Leeds at home on a Saturday in December :yes:

Beefy
June 17th, 2009, 2:09 PM
Yeah i noted the date of the Brentford match. I doubt I'd have gone anyway as I've still got bad memories of Valentines Day 2006.

Southampton away was our last game in our Championship season and was an amazing day with 4,000 Shrimpers enjoying the day out. I'll definitely be at that one.

Christmas should be good. We've got Col U at home then Orient & Millwall away.

connorboy
June 17th, 2009, 5:15 PM
Southend and Millwall away within 3 weeks of each other, lovely jubbly.

Gary J
June 17th, 2009, 5:21 PM
Leeds at home on a Saturday in December :yes:

Make it a good christmas and give them a good stuffing.

ruudjase
June 17th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Coventry away first day, followed by Palace and then Leicester at home - quite happy with that, good chance to get off to a flyer.

Newcastle at home 26th Sept, Boro away in Sept too.

Are run in looks pretty tough with Newcastle away and then Sheff UTD at home on the final day of the season

- every game is tough in this league though

RFF Champ
June 18th, 2009, 5:28 AM
FM legend Skjelbred is still interested in coming to the club as he was a childhood fan...but so was Berbatov.

Shearer has apparently also outlined that he would like One Size and Dextor Blackstock as well as Beckford.

Red Dog
June 18th, 2009, 7:07 AM
http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/football/Forest-man-Clingan-wants-jump-ship/article-1088600-detail/article.html

FORMER Nottingham Forest midfielder Sammy Clingan wants out of relegated Norwich City.
The Northern Ireland man opted against staying at the City Ground to join the Canaries last summer.
But they were relegated to League One and he has told manager Bryan Gunn he wants to leave.
Coventry and Cardiff are among those interested in the midfielder, for whom Norwich turned down a bid from Premiership Fulham last season.
Gunn said: "You'd like to think you'd be able to keep Sammy Clingan, but if he expresses his wishes to play elsewhere what do you do?
http://iad.anm.co.uk/house/1x1.GIF

"You obviously try and help him on his way and get the best deal for Norwich City."

What a trooper this guy is! Leaves us because "he wants to join a better club and get into the premiership". They promptly get relegated to League One with him in the team and then he decides to jump ship.

I wonder where he will end up?

SOF. If he joins a Premiership club I will have a Sammy Clingan avator for one month. If he doesn't, you have to have an avator of my choice for one month. Deal? Ok, good.

son_of_foley
June 18th, 2009, 7:14 AM
Behave yourself.

I think he'll end up at Cardiff or QPR.

I said he could perform the role that he was linked with in a handful of premiership teams.

Red Dog
June 18th, 2009, 7:22 AM
Well I'm sure all the Premiership managers are aware of his ability so you never know.

He is fucking ugly, isn't he? Is that an Irish thing?

He looks like an alien.

1_Pablo_Angel
June 18th, 2009, 7:24 AM
I think it is an Irish thing, have you seen their cricket team?

son_of_foley
June 18th, 2009, 7:33 AM
Well I'm sure all the Premiership managers are aware of his ability so you never know.

He is fucking ugly, isn't he? Is that an Irish thing?

He looks like an alien.

Have you not seen Robert Earnshaw? Jesus

Red Dog
June 18th, 2009, 7:42 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/11/02/article-0-02558BD1000005DC-528_468x318.jpg

I think he's beautiful.

Torn
June 18th, 2009, 1:17 PM
Paulo Sousa is replacing Martinez at Swansea APPAZ, he's been offered the job anyway http://www.swanseacity.net/page/Latest/0,,10354~1695778,00.html

Torn
June 19th, 2009, 3:52 PM
BRENTFORD have won the race for centre-back Alan Bennett.
The 27-year-old Irishman was formidable at the heart of the Bees defence on their way to the League Two title last term, on a season-long loan from Reading.
Benno is at home in Cork for Neal Horgan's testimonial tomorrow, and held talks with a club representative who flew to Ireland earlier this week.
And despite interest from Southend, Barnet and Oldham, he will put pen to paper on a new two-year contract with Brentford when he returns to London.
He said: "I spoke to someone from Brentford who came over to Cork a couple of days ago and it was all really positive. I’m happy enough so it’s just a matter of me actually signing the contract at this stage."

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!

He is brilliant and was very important last year, I reckon he can comfortably cut in League One. He would have been hard to replace. Fuck knows why Barnet were going for him :lol:

UK Blue
June 19th, 2009, 4:18 PM
When does the schedule for the Johnstone Paint trophy come out? I NEED TO KNOW!

Also, why no fixtures for the Conference yet? I want to start planning my day trips.

Torn
June 19th, 2009, 5:13 PM
Dunno mate. But in news that will interest you, Colchester have bid 250k (:lol::lol::lol:) for Grant Holt.

connorboy
June 19th, 2009, 5:18 PM
When does the schedule for the Johnstone Paint trophy come out? I NEED TO KNOW!

Also, why no fixtures for the Conference yet? I want to start planning my day trips.

Blue Square stuff is released on the 2nd of July, Isn't the JPT draw late August?

Torn
June 20th, 2009, 4:01 PM
APPAZ we're chasing FOUR players who have previously played for us, could one of them be Paul Smith?!? :hyper: