PDA

View Full Version : Eastbound & Down

Beer-Belly
February 16th, 2009, 12:47 AM
New HBO show starring Danny McBride (The Foot Fist Way, Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder) as a down and out ex-MLB player named Kenny Powers who returns to his hometown to live with his brother. Powers is an out of shape, mulleted, John Rocker-type of asshole. The show is produced by McBride, Will Ferrell, and Adam McKay.

I found a torrent of the pilot a few months back and fell in love with it. It's one of the funniest pilots that I've ever seen.

Predictably, most of the reviews completely miss the point:

… feels like a margarine, not butter, version of “Talladega Nights,” the Nascar reversal-of-fortune story in which the children were ingeniously named Walker and Texas Ranger, and the exchanges between Mr. Ferrell and John C. Reilly had an addicting improvisational madness. Comparatively, “Eastbound & Down” feels static. Unlike Ricky Bobby, Kenny shows no signs (at least not yet) of a turnaround, and it is unclear whether Mr. McBride could believably pull one off. Lacking Mr. Ferrell’s vulnerability, one that comes to a great extent from resembling an overgrown 10-year-old, Mr. McBride looks like someone you’d run away from in the parking lot of a Waffle House. Christ, what a joke. "Once I found out the protagonist wasn't a cartoonish caricature, I completely zoned out." Nice. Anyone who refers to the Walker and Texas Ranger gag as "ingenious" is a moron.

bionic_redneck
February 16th, 2009, 3:56 AM
Downloaded the Pilot a fair while back myself. Just awesome. Danny McBride is my Hero.

Can't find the torrent for last nights episode yet, but am interested to see if there are any changes made for TV.

Also, that critic is clearly a moron.

Beer-Belly
February 16th, 2009, 6:42 AM
I DVR'd the episode. I'm sure it's the exact same as the pilot we downloaded.

The use of The Black Keys' "Your Touch" is spot-on. In fact, the placement for every piece of music is perfect.

bionic_redneck
February 16th, 2009, 7:43 AM
It's definitely a quality piece of work.

Am I right when I say that Will Ferrell will be playing an on screen character, or did I just make this up?

JoJo the rabid monkey
February 16th, 2009, 3:43 PM
I saw the commercials but missed the pilot. McBrides character comes across as the Dugout (wordupthome.com) version of Kyle Farnsworth from what I've seen, which is awesome.

Beer-Belly
February 16th, 2009, 6:49 PM
It's definitely a quality piece of work.

Am I right when I say that Will Ferrell will be playing an on screen character, or did I just make this up?

He's definitely playing an on-screen character.

Beer-Belly
February 17th, 2009, 9:07 PM
Can't find the torrent for last nights episode yet, but am interested to see if there are any changes made for TV.
Watched the version that aired. There are some very slight differences.

When I downloaded the pilot a few months back it felt like a thirty minute film.

Miotch
February 17th, 2009, 9:15 PM
Trixie (or whatever her name is): "I just need a little T.L.C."
Bartender: "Get the fuck out of here Trixie, what you need is a shit load of VALTRAX."

:lol:

Billmatic
February 18th, 2009, 2:18 AM
wow. best line has gotta be between "i mean, he drew a pentagram made of penises" and "can i wear the scream mask.. the mask from scream.. while i do you from behind?" for me. amazing.

bionic_redneck
February 18th, 2009, 11:34 AM
A few slight changes from the pilot - nothing severe, but they cut my favorite throwaway line.

When he's doing rails with the guy in the bar, they are talking away when the guy just stops and says "Hey, I just got a new Barbeque".

"Hey, I don't mean to break up the good time here, but...I just saw two boys raping a sixth grader..."

Beer-Belly
February 25th, 2009, 8:22 AM
Will Ferrell appears to be doing a bizarre Ric Flair impersonation.

Beer-Belly
March 4th, 2009, 7:43 AM
Is anyone watching this show? I haven't laughed this hard in awhile.

bionic_redneck
March 12th, 2009, 8:55 AM
Sunday nights episode was epic.

Only 2 more to go :(

VanillaJello
March 12th, 2009, 3:50 PM
Is that a wrap for the series, or just the year?

bionic_redneck
March 13th, 2009, 1:30 AM
Well, judging from the Wikipedia entry for the show, the last episode doesn't seem to leave much open for a continuation of the series.

Chapter 6 (March 22) - Kenny gets an offer from a professional team and is forced to say goodbye to his family and teaching job. (Season Finale).

Obviously it's all down to ratings and such but it should, nay, MUST return for a second season.

LOCONUT
March 13th, 2009, 1:55 AM
I have only seen 1 episode of his show, and it was the funniest show I have ever seen.

Beer-Belly
March 13th, 2009, 2:59 PM
Well, judging from the Wikipedia entry for the show, the last episode doesn't seem to leave much open for a continuation of the series.

Chapter 6 (March 22) - Kenny gets an offer from a professional team and is forced to say goodbye to his family and teaching job. (Season Finale).

Obviously it's all down to ratings and such but it should, nay, MUST return for a second season.
Well, we still don't know what decision Kenny will make. Kenny's love for April's knockers is undying.

VanillaJello
March 17th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Just ran through all five episodes last night. Love it.

And for those of us keeping score at home... it's Danny McBride 2 - Craig Robinson 0

NightShade
March 19th, 2009, 3:44 PM
Just got around to watching the first episode onDemand, and I'm not in quite in love yet, but I'm definitely in like. Great one-liners, though: "Don't you look at me with those dead eyes, you church bitch!"

Beer-Belly
March 23rd, 2009, 4:43 AM
Kenny Powers didn't let us down by letting us down.

:cry:

bionic_redneck
March 24th, 2009, 8:44 AM
Fitting ending..

Why Kenny, Why?

:\

RFF Champ
March 26th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I'm only on episode 3 but I'm sure I've started swearing more since this show began.

Billmatic
April 9th, 2009, 7:32 PM
good news..

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - HBO has renewed the comedy series "Eastbound & Down" for a second season. Production on the new episodes will begin this year for a 2010 premiere.

"Eastbound" stars Danny McBride as Kenny Powers, a star pitcher whose self-destructive behavior knocked him out of the major leagues. He returned home to North Carolina to teach gym at the middle school he once attended, but eventually scored another big-league job offer.

The series, executive produced by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay, had a slow start, drawing 671,000 viewers in its February 15 premiere.

But like Alan Ball's vampire drama "True Blood" last year, it grew steadily throughout its six-episode run, peaking at 950,000 viewers on March 15, a day after the telecast of Ferrell's "You're Welcome America" HBO special, and closing its freshman season with 904,000 viewers March 22. The series ended 35 percent higher in the ratings than where it started.

http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSTRE5380HH20090409

Miotch
April 9th, 2009, 7:42 PM
It better be more than 6 goddamned episodes this time around.

Beer-Belly
April 10th, 2009, 10:34 PM
It's 8 goddamned episodes this time around. Regardless, it's more Kenny Powers.

Fro
April 13th, 2009, 2:43 PM
Finally finished this show and it is tremendous. Pretty much everything Kenny says cracks me up.

BlackShadow215
April 13th, 2009, 3:44 PM
Just watched the 6 episodes of the first season. I think the show is just kind of Ok. A few small laughs here and there, but nothing too special.

Funboy
April 13th, 2009, 4:25 PM
Its grand, but not as spectacular as a few people were telling me.
I've watched 3 of 6, and Im not rushing to watch the other three really quickly; its solid and funny in places, so its something I might pick up when all the other seasons of stuff ends, whats that late May? Even then, meh..

IB
July 8th, 2009, 1:37 PM
Bought season 1 last night on a whim. Very excited about trying this show out.

VanillaJello
July 8th, 2009, 2:02 PM
It's some funny shit.

I love the show... as you can see by my avatar.

IB
July 8th, 2009, 2:04 PM
Well Danny has been brilliant in everything I have seen him in yet and honestly just heard about this show for the first time yesterday..and I fucking love baseball - This just seems like the natural progression.

IB
July 9th, 2009, 8:37 AM
Just finished the first episode & must say that the hype was correct. This show is fucking killer.

McBain
July 12th, 2009, 9:56 AM
Finally checked this out. Piss funny. :yes:

Marlon Dingle
October 16th, 2009, 5:20 AM
I've watched the first three episodes of Season 1 on FX. Some funny stuff. I love Danny McBride, and the Kenny Powers character is just classic. Cant wait for the rest of the series now, especially since my brother told me you get to see his highschool sweetheart's tits.

Morrison
October 16th, 2009, 6:52 AM
I've watched the first three episodes of Season 1 on FX. Some funny stuff. I love Danny McBride, and the Kenny Powers character is just classic. Cant wait for the rest of the series now, especially since my brother told me you get to see his highschool sweetheart's tits.

hate to spoil it, but they're apparently not really her tits. i think you have the right to know. still a marvelous pair, though.

Marlon Dingle
October 16th, 2009, 7:23 AM
hate to spoil it, but they're apparently not really her tits. i think you have the right to know. still a marvelous pair, though.

Could you not have waited 'til I had seen them first before shattering my dreams. :(

Morrison
October 16th, 2009, 8:11 AM
would've done more damage than good!

VanillaJello
June 13th, 2010, 10:07 PM
HBO has been running this promo recently.

http://www.hbo.com/eastbound-and-down/about/video/kenny-powers-is-back.html?autoplay=true

Can't wait for it to be back.

Fro
June 14th, 2010, 8:55 AM
I read that Kenny joins a Mexican baseball team this season and the show takes place there. Interesting...

Mark84j
June 14th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I remember you face did cash... a lot of checks. I don't know bout tuhDAY though. :lol:

Beer-Belly
June 14th, 2010, 8:54 PM
Oddly enough, that reminds me of The Dark Knight teaser.

YouTube- REAL THE DARK KNIGHT TEASER TRAILER

Fro
August 26th, 2010, 4:27 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0826/pg2_eastbounddown_576.jpg

Beer-Belly
August 26th, 2010, 4:48 PM
Indeed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=100826%2Feastbound_down_season2

Kenny Powers is back!.

Slim Shady
September 12th, 2010, 2:32 AM
I just rewatched this show the last couple days. It is awesome. Kenny Powers is my hero. That is all.

Slim Shady
September 12th, 2010, 2:41 AM
Also, April makes the dumbest faces in the fucking world. But she has nice tits.

Morrison
September 12th, 2010, 3:06 AM
not her tits.

Slim Shady
September 12th, 2010, 3:10 AM
http://celebdirtblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/katy-mixon.jpg

Those are hers, and they are glorious.

Morrison
September 12th, 2010, 8:18 PM
the naked ones aren't hers.

Newf
September 12th, 2010, 8:41 PM
Still glorious though.

Beer-Belly
September 14th, 2010, 2:12 PM
YouTube - Eastbound and Down Gets a Season Two Trailer

Slim Shady
September 14th, 2010, 2:25 PM
:hyper: I can't figure out if I'm more excited for this, or Sunny.

MikeHunt
September 14th, 2010, 2:58 PM
sunny by miles

Dubya
September 21st, 2010, 9:44 PM
I've been watching season one on demand all day. Can't wait for this weekend. I was sad to see Entourage go, but I knew this was taking its place so its all good. With this and now Boardwalk Empire, HBO is killing it lately.

Beer-Belly
September 27th, 2010, 1:04 PM
Good episode. I'm anxious to see where this goes.

Nothing compares to the original cut of the pilot. I don't have it anymore, but me and my buddies must have watched that thing a dozen times. I don't know why that version didn't air. It's the same episode, but certain scenes are more fleshed out.

Second City Saint
September 27th, 2010, 2:12 PM
I thought it was a little lighter on the laughs than last season's episodes typically were, but it was just the premier so I'm definitely not writing it off just yet.

No, I'm Spartacus. You come to free the slaves or something?

Airborn
September 27th, 2010, 3:27 PM
Really? I loved the premiere. Thought it was one of the funniest episodes ever. The midget was golden. Sad to see him turn on Kenny, hope he sticks around to be his foil.

RFF Champ
September 28th, 2010, 3:45 AM
I thought this episode was pretty shit until the end when he was with the baseball team.

"I know what you're thinking, I'm American and I have a printer"

Second City Saint
October 4th, 2010, 1:26 AM
Fantastic episode this week. His wrestling style entrance was hysterical.

Vice
October 4th, 2010, 5:54 AM
His wrestling style entrance was hysterical.

That almost made me piss myself. Brilliant stuff.

Second City Saint
October 4th, 2010, 7:26 PM
YouTube - Kenny Powers 'Real American' Entrance

JRSlim21
October 4th, 2010, 8:49 PM
Powers > Del Rio. NOW THAT'S A DEBUT

Dubya
October 4th, 2010, 8:50 PM
There's no "I" in "team" but there is a "U" in "cunt"

blackening
October 5th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I've watched the first three episodes of the first season so far. I'm enjoying it, but I thought it'd be better due to the huge following it's gotten.

The April chick is fit.

Fro
October 20th, 2010, 10:11 AM
"3-D is gay. Nobody wants to sit on a couch wearing glasses popping bubbles out of the air like some kind of fucked up Ray Charles."

ahahahaha

I caught up on the new season yesterday. I thought the first episode was a little weak but it's picked up since then, with Stevie coming back being a big factor. While I'm enjoying it, I'm getting the feeling this show peaked in season 1, which is too bad. But we'll see.

Beer-Belly
October 20th, 2010, 4:18 PM
I don't think it peaked at all during the first season. This season just has a bit of a different tone.

Dream-Evil
October 20th, 2010, 9:16 PM
"Come worship the big dick American at Charro Stadium. And hopefully he'll impregnate all the women here, so we will have a new generation of Kenny Powers"

Ahahaah. I love Stevie.. The little scamp.

Second City Saint
October 20th, 2010, 9:38 PM
I agree with Fro, I much prefer his interactions with children than Mexicans.

Second City Saint
October 24th, 2010, 10:58 PM
That was probably the worst episode to date.

Morrison
October 24th, 2010, 11:05 PM
That was probably the worst episode to date.

really? i heard the exact opposite from my friend.

i need to catch up on the last two eps.

Second City Saint
October 24th, 2010, 11:13 PM
It was too heavy on emotion and too light on laughs for me.

Morrison
October 24th, 2010, 11:14 PM
you're a cold fucker, scs.

JRSlim21
March 13th, 2011, 4:49 PM
Sad. So sad.

McBride Says Eastbound And Down Is Done After This Year
Author: Mack Rawdenpublished: 2011-03-13 14:06:13

When Eastbound And Down premiered a few years back, Danny McBride was turning into a comedy superstar, and John Hawkes was far from a household name. Now the comedian pretty much has his choice of projects, and the indie actor that plays his brother has been nominated for an Academy Award. The rigors of filming a premium cable television program are far different than that of a network show, but it still takes a serious effort to block off everyone’s time for the same ten week period. Apparently, that’s getting harder for the HBO comedy, and star Danny McBride has publically revealed season three will be the program’s last.

According to Deadline, HBO is still very open to bringing the show back, but ultimately, the decision lies in McBride’s hands. His newest, Your Highness, co-starring James Franco and Natalie Portman is generating a lot of buzz, as is the already finished follow-up 30 Minutes Or Less. The more he continues crushing Hollywood, the less likely he is to eventually reconsider and return to Eastbound And Down.

I’m okay with this. Eastbound And Down is great, but opening up his schedule to make an extra movie each year is well worth the tradeoff.

Fro
March 13th, 2011, 5:01 PM
Meh. The second season wasn't bad but definitely a step down from the first, so I'm fine with them wrapping things up in the third.

Fro
March 13th, 2011, 5:04 PM
It's kinda the same thing that happened with Flight of the Concords (only they just stopped after 2): absolutely hilarious first season but not much longevity.

blackening
March 13th, 2011, 9:39 PM
When does season 3 start?

Second City Saint
March 13th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I'd guess late September if it's the same as the last season.

eldanielfire
April 29th, 2011, 6:32 PM
I just watched the whole first series of this this afternoon/Evening. It's fucking brilliant and Laty Mixon is the cutets little thing with a lovely smile and absolutely AMAZING breasts. :yes:

stylepoints
April 29th, 2011, 7:04 PM
Meh. The second season wasn't bad but definitely a step down from the first, so I'm fine with them wrapping things up in the third.

I actually preferred the 2nd season(Michael Pena is awesome). The 1st season is funnier imo, but the 2nd is all around better. A lot of people see it as a comedy show, but there's a lot drama thrown in there too. All things considered, I'd say the 2nd season is really solid while the 1st was great, but hit and miss at times.

I'm really looking forward to the 3rd season. Especially if Pat stays on as Kenny's manager. Should be really good stuff.

RockOverBoston
May 1st, 2011, 12:22 AM
I just watched the whole first series of this this afternoon/Evening. It's fucking brilliant and Laty Mixon is the cutets little thing with a lovely smile and absolutely AMAZING breasts. :yes:

I hate to break your heart, but that's a pretty obvious body double.

Why is kinda beyond me...

eldanielfire
May 1st, 2011, 5:26 PM
I hate to break your heart, but that's a pretty obvious body double.

Why is kinda beyond me...

Some actresses just won't go naked, despite clearly having a great rack.

Miotch
July 19th, 2011, 5:46 PM
‪Kenny Powers - K-Swiss CEO video (Uncensored)‬‏ - YouTube

Amazing.

eldanielfire
July 19th, 2011, 6:23 PM
"K-Swiss power cologne. WHo knew you could bottle the sent of boner!" :yes:

eldanielfire
July 19th, 2011, 6:24 PM
‪Kenny powers k swiss‬‏ - YouTube

Chris Dolmeth
September 26th, 2011, 8:33 PM
http://www.hbo.com/eastbound-and-down/about/video/season-3-tease?autoplay=true&cmpid=ABC285

Oh, just in case you didn't hear.. January 2012

Dream-Evil
October 14th, 2011, 11:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUSZH_ex-64

Motherboy
October 14th, 2011, 11:30 AM
That scene of him walking out of the bar to Seger's "Still the Same" gets me every time.

Chris Dolmeth
January 6th, 2012, 7:31 PM
Eastbound & Down Season 3 "Drum" Tease

Beer-Belly
January 6th, 2012, 8:55 PM
Can't wait.

stylepoints
January 6th, 2012, 9:09 PM
Amazing show. A third season almost didn't happen. So relieved it did. Bring it on!

G-Fresh
January 6th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Kenny Powers is a real American.

Chris Dolmeth
January 6th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Kenny Powers is the realest American.

stylepoints
January 9th, 2012, 8:57 PM
So, the name of Kenny's team this season is...wait for it...

The Myrtle Beach Mermen. :lol:

Also, Jason Sudeikis is going to be in this season. This guy seems to be finding his way into everything these days.

Version 6
January 9th, 2012, 9:10 PM
wow what a shock. I thought he and all those other men were wearing those shirts in the teaser trailer a few posts ago just for fun.

stylepoints
January 9th, 2012, 9:56 PM
I don't watch trailers unless I'm sure they don't have content from the upcoming season. Had no idea.

Simon
January 26th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Wow I was just bumping this to say that I belatedly got into this and that it's fucking class, and I find that we're close to a new season, lovely stuff. I love this show, it had me hooked from this moment in the first episode:

Eastbound & Down - RAPING a sixth grader - YouTube

Also from a later episode "I love you honey, but you wear clothes like a fucking dickhead" :lol:

The second season was great too, brave move to completely relocate the whole thing the way they did but it definitely worked.

Also the outtakes from the McBride/Ferrell/Robinson scene is a thing of beauty...NO...LET HIM WATCH...

stylepoints
January 27th, 2012, 1:38 AM
As funny as the show is, it has it's fair share of drama. This is probably my favorite moment of the series so far.

Eastbound & Down - The Storm Is Passing Over - YouTube

Beer-Belly
February 20th, 2012, 5:22 PM
K mother fucking P is back in full force. Crazy episode as well.

G-Fresh
February 20th, 2012, 5:26 PM
I don't watch trailers unless I'm sure they don't have content from the upcoming season. Had no idea.

I don't watch trailers unless there's a tornado coming through.

Stringer Bell
February 20th, 2012, 11:59 PM
First episode was really good. I was :lol: the whole time at his kid's birthday party.

LOCONUT
February 21st, 2012, 3:53 AM
I thought this was the funniest episode since Season 1.

Judas Iscariot
February 21st, 2012, 3:57 AM
Shut up.

Beer-Belly
February 21st, 2012, 5:34 PM
I thought this was the funniest episode since Season 1.

I agree. I didn't dislike the second season, but it just felt like something was missing.

Vice
February 21st, 2012, 5:47 PM
I agree. I didn't dislike the second season, but it just felt like something was missing.

:yes:

Loved the new episode, and was happy to see a return to form.

virms
February 22nd, 2012, 12:25 AM
Wow. Laughed my ass off. In fact, I need to probably watch it again to catch jokes I laughed thru the first time.

Great episode and lovely twist at the end.

blackening
February 27th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Last night's episode was awesome. I pretty much lost my shit when he was carrying around the baby in a backpack. The dinner party was pretty fucked up.

Kenny Powers for father of the year.

Delta Devil
February 28th, 2012, 2:02 PM
I laughed uncontrollably when Ferrell explained the "starting line" and anything to do with his son. Holy fuck that kid looked messed up. 100% episode :lol:

virms
April 17th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Great comeback season and while I doubt they come back to it they did leave the door open.

Kinda predicted the first part of the ending, but the 2nd part I didn't see coming.

Stevie. Poor poor Stevie having to look so fucking ridiculous the last few episodes :lol:

Dream-Evil
September 9th, 2013, 8:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Qy3jeAHM1Lk

Season 4 premieres on September 29. :hyper:

Simon
October 9th, 2013, 8:01 AM
Anyone been watching? Kenny putting a curse on his family was amazing, TSSSSSEWWW, TSSSSSSSSEWWW

LOCONUT
October 9th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I really think this has been the best stuff since season 1. Dropping the gimmicky locations and getting back to what Kenny does best has been a breath of fresh air.

Simon
October 9th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I loved the anticipation of him going back to being a prick in the first episode. His reaction to the arsehole driver when he was being calm was great.

LOCONUT
October 9th, 2013, 11:27 AM
That girl also had a great ass.

virms
October 10th, 2013, 1:16 PM
Definitely getting back to what I loved about the show. The whole pow wow on sports sesh was great. Made even greater by Stevie who almost stole the damn moment being so crazy.

I love April to.

Fuck me she is amazing.

thetony
October 10th, 2013, 1:19 PM
I thought HBO had cancelled this show.. glad they didn't.

Simon
October 16th, 2013, 6:14 AM
Ahahahaha Stevie putting his hand through the car window was amazing.

Simon
October 16th, 2013, 6:36 AM
And the fucking dancing robot hahaha "go about your journeys Euell"

Simon
October 24th, 2013, 7:01 AM
I love the weird way Kenny talks sometimes, he has odd turns of phrase that just tickle me. For example when the Mexican waiter has his nuts out, he says "your scrotum and some of your testicles are leaking out". I dunno what it is but "...some of your testicles" just smashed me.

Alf
October 24th, 2013, 7:15 AM
Yeah, that line killed me. Just delivered it in a "You know you've got sauce on your face" type way too.

Simon
October 24th, 2013, 7:17 AM
Danny McBride is a comedy monster. He reminds me of Will Ferrell the way he makes lines funny even if there is no joke in them. Will Arnett is the same.

Simon
October 24th, 2013, 7:23 AM
Hahahaha just noticed when they ambush the dinner party and the guy accuses Kenny of punching him in the face, Kenny's response is to call his accusations "tall tales".

Beer-Belly
November 5th, 2013, 6:27 AM
This season has been amazing.

The fucking water jet pack showdown... holy shit.