PDA

View Full Version : Goddammit, let's talk about "Damages"!

RockOverBoston
January 1st, 2009, 6:46 AM
Best show currently airing? That's up for debate -- Don Draper pretty much rules the planet...or did in 1962, anyway. This bad boy's quite clearly in the mix, though...

As if season 1 wasn't awesome enough -- truly awesome, gang...get to downloading... - here's who's joining the cast this year...

Marcia Gay Harden.
William Fucking Hurt.
A noteable percentage of the cast of "The Wire".
That Other Guy.
Arthur Frobisher is NOT dead, and is the best work of Ted Danson's career -- and I love me some "Cheers"...

This show's worth the price of admission for Glenn Close alone, but fuck me running, it really has no business being this fucking awesome across the board. Who knew that Tate Donovan was ever going to find a good role?

New season kicks off next Wednesday. Watch the 1st season over the next week and get caught up...seriously.

RockOverBoston
January 1st, 2009, 1:27 PM
"That Other Guy" = Timothy Olyphant...Olympian? Elephant?

Regardless, him. That guy.

Hulkamaniac
January 1st, 2009, 1:43 PM
The guy who was awful in Hitman and Die Hard 4?

Jimmy Zero
January 1st, 2009, 1:53 PM
AKA the guy who was freaking bad ass on Deadwood.

Hulkamaniac
January 1st, 2009, 2:07 PM
Hmmmm.

Which Wire actors are in this?

I might get around to watching Deadwood soon.

Tim
January 1st, 2009, 3:30 PM
Yeah tell us who's coming from The Wire?

Ringo
January 1st, 2009, 3:39 PM
Council President Nerese Campbell and Thomas Klebanow from the 5th Series are the only ones in it from The Wire, as far as I can tell. And they're hardly notable characters. I think ROB invented the "notable percentage of the cast of The Wire" bit.

Jeannie Cusamano and the Muslim bloke Tony tells the police about from The Sopranos are in a couple of episodes as well.

LOCONUT
January 2nd, 2009, 1:14 PM
If you haven't seen season 1 of Damages, then you missed the best single season of any show in a very long time. ROB isn't cumming his shorts for no reason here. This show was exceptional. I am really trying to temper my excitement here, because until it gets another season under it's belt I don't want to hold too high of expectations.

If this upcoming season is as good as season 1, then we start discussing this show in terms of Shield/Lost proportions.

RockOverBoston
January 8th, 2009, 2:01 PM
Council President Nerese Campbell and Thomas Klebanow from the 5th Series are the only ones in it from The Wire, as far as I can tell. And they're hardly notable characters. I think ROB invented the "notable percentage of the cast of The Wire" bit.

Hey, 2 is notable!

Actually, I read a few articles which claim that 4 other "Wire alumni" will be turning up at some point this season. Clearly this could very easily be bait-and-switch of some type, as all 4 could be people with credited appearances in exactly one episode. I'm not expecting McNulty or Stringer by any means...I'm actually more expecting "I remember that one episode where that guy got shot"-type characters and maybe a semi-regular or 2...

Anyhow, it's ba-ack...it's shaping up to be quite awesome again, as thge premiere set up a whole boatload of potential twists and turns...and dear God, did FX advertise this episode heavily or what?

I like how they're using the flash-forward scenes again, but I'm fairly certain that I've got who's on the other end of the gun narrowed down to exactly two people, with one far ahead of the other...

Timothy Olyphant, whatever his character's name is. Something's already off about that character, and I'm guessing that he's Patty Hewes' plant to watch over Ellen and report back. I've got Frobischer as the second most likely, but I see the Ellen-Arthur relationship going a very different way than that

I've got other theories that we can get into later once we get some discussion going again...and perhaps once more than 1 episode has aired.

Excellent season premiere episode, though.

Tim
January 8th, 2009, 9:15 PM
I wasn't as blown away as you Rob, I was a little dissapointed with the first 20-30 minutes of the show. But it started to get really good when Patty had that breakdown in her office.

Oh and Ted Danson is still great, glad to have him back. I loved that semi-face turn only to reveal that he hasn't changed at all and was just looking for sympathy.

I don't like this Timothy Olyphant fella, he might grow on me but I still dislike him from being in Scream 2.

RockOverBoston
January 8th, 2009, 9:23 PM
Many of the opening bits were more or less built to get new viewers up to speed, so while I agree that they weren't particularly great, this is a show that FX clearly has high expectations for, and what with the ridiculous amount of advertising they did for it, I'd have to assume they were expecting many new viewers.

You and I already knew most of the storyline that they were building, so it made sense that you'd not like it as much. That said, I think that the latter 2/3rds or so of the episode did a great gob setting up the gist of the new season.

RockOverBoston
January 15th, 2009, 2:27 PM
This last episode really amped it up a lot from the season premiere, which I think we're all in agreement spent a bit too much time getting new viewers up to speed -- a necessary evil, admittedly.

I'm a little bothered by the fact that I correctly predicted Hurt and Harden were in some sort of cohoots early on, just as I'm still pretty bothered by the fact that I'm no less convinced that Olyphant is on the other end of the gun in the flash-forwards. I'll give this show the benefit of the doubt, though, and assume that they know what they're doing with these early revelations.

Patty Hewes having had the office bugged is most assuredly going to come up again.

Whose plant is Timothy Olyphant, anyway? I'm not completely buying the whole "OOOH, he's a pshcho who's out to kill Frobischer" bit that they tried to hit you upside the head with just yet

It's getting juicy. Again.

LOCONUT
January 15th, 2009, 2:39 PM
I actually thought last nights episode was a bit scattered, a bit predictable, and was starting to look like they were trying just a tad too much to be juicy. I don't doubt that this superstar cast will pull it out to perfection, but I was left feeling a little unsatisfied.

Miotch
January 15th, 2009, 2:43 PM
There's a long wait for Damages season 1 on Netflix right now.

:(

LOCONUT
January 15th, 2009, 2:45 PM
Stream it then, broham. At least the first few episodes while you wait...

PS, FX not having an HD channel actually makes the DVD experience worth the wait. Not sure when FX is going to come out of the dark ages, but that is a channel that needs High Definition more than any other...

Miotch
January 15th, 2009, 3:18 PM
I have FXHD. But then, DirecTV >>>>> whatever shitty cable you have.

There's also no legit streams for Damages. I may just go to Blockbuster, but that would counteract the reason for getting Netflix all together.

Canuck
January 15th, 2009, 5:07 PM
I've settled for the surfthechannel streams. Probably not the quality you're looking for, though.

LOCONUT
January 15th, 2009, 5:12 PM
Is that FX HD new? I could have sworn it wasn't around last year...

Also if direct TV is so great, why no MLB Channel then?

Caito
January 15th, 2009, 5:43 PM
Cuz the MLB channel will probably be shit over the long run.

RockOverBoston
January 15th, 2009, 6:02 PM
DirecTV Channel 213 = MLB Network

Miotch
January 15th, 2009, 6:10 PM
Is that FX HD new? I could have sworn it wasn't around last year...

Also if direct TV is so great, why no MLB Channel then?

FXHD came in the last batch of HD channels, probably a year ago or so.

DirecTV Channel 213 = MLB Network

Yessirrrrrrr...

Miotch
January 21st, 2009, 9:42 PM
Cunting Netflix doesn't have disc 1 available for a long time evidently, but they sent me discs 2 and 3. :irked:

Looks like surfthechannel is what I'll have to do for the first 4 eps. :grumpy:

Miotch
January 22nd, 2009, 3:40 PM
You will all be happy to know that Netflix got their shit together and are sending out disc 1 today.

RockOverBoston
January 22nd, 2009, 4:02 PM
Yeah, I do think that new viewers to this second season aren't entirely likely to stick it out, as without Season 1 in your mind, some pretty major shit just isn't going to make sense.

LOCONUT
January 22nd, 2009, 4:14 PM
Turns out that I have FXHD... :wtf:

Tyson
January 26th, 2009, 2:51 AM
They're showing season two up here on Showcase. Pretty good stuff. :yes:

Glenn Close, BTW; would ya? I would. :$

RockOverBoston
January 26th, 2009, 7:42 AM
Turns out that I have FXHD... :wtf:

But seriously, man, why would you have known that?

I presume that you weren't watching much more than "The Shield" on that network anyway, and that show didn't air in HD for fairly obvious reasons...

Do you really want to see a clean and glossy looking version of that show? I sure don't.

Miotch
January 26th, 2009, 1:07 PM
Watched the entirety of season 1 this weekend and the first two eps of season 2. Should be caught up tonight.

LOCONUT
January 26th, 2009, 2:51 PM
I would love to rewatch season 1. Good times...

Canuck
January 26th, 2009, 2:56 PM
They're showing season two up here on Showcase. Pretty good stuff. :yes:

Glenn Close, BTW; would ya? I would. :$

How far in are they? and what times?

Miotch
January 26th, 2009, 2:59 PM
Season 2 seems to be lacking that "oh shit" element of it's plot so far. I mean, from the get go of season 1 you knew that some heavy heavy shit went down. The big deal about season 2 is that she shoots someone? Meh.

Tyson
January 26th, 2009, 10:26 PM
How far in are they? and what times?

10 PM Sunday nights, they just showed episode 2 last night.

Tim
January 28th, 2009, 9:41 PM
I think the show finally picked up in the 3rd episode, atleast for me who was bored with the first 2 episodes. Though...

I thought they milked the angle with Purcell being the father of Patty's son, I figured that out as soon as they met by the elevator. Hurt is getting better with each episode. And I'm having a tough time remembering, did they ever reveal who killed Ellen's boyfriend?

Miotch
January 28th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Yes. It was Frobisher's cop guy that he had doing all his dirty work.

Andru
February 2nd, 2009, 11:04 PM
I can't help but feel kind of disatisfied with the current season.

Season One was so suspenseful, and thus far season two just has not gotten there for me yet.

I really wanted to get into this Purcell story, but really couldnt find any interest in it. However, after last week's episode, I think things are really going to pick up.

However, I will stand behind it and say it's still one of the best shows out there.

Rose Byrne :heart:

Andru
February 2nd, 2009, 11:07 PM
I think the show finally picked up in the 3rd episode, atleast for me who was bored with the first 2 episodes. Though...

I thought they milked the angle with Purcell being the father of Patty's son, I figured that out as soon as they met by the elevator. Hurt is getting better with each episode. And I'm having a tough time remembering, did they ever reveal who killed Ellen's boyfriend?

I think I feel into their intended trap, when I figured Purcell thought Patty's son was the guy who killed his wife. Due to his description of the man who did it (the blonde shaggy hair and such), and the fact that he stared him down in the elevator.

RockOverBoston
February 3rd, 2009, 1:26 AM
For whatever it's worth, Andru, I have no doubt that all of the people who didn't watch season 1 fell into that exact same trap, and I think you're right -- it's pretty safe to say that was the intent.

Only some of those who watched the first season picked up on what was really going down as quickly as some of us did, and I probably only did because I'd just re-watched season 1.

Andru
February 3rd, 2009, 7:00 PM
For whatever it's worth, Andru, I have no doubt that all of the people who didn't watch season 1 fell into that exact same trap, and I think you're right -- it's pretty safe to say that was the intent.

Only some of those who watched the first season picked up on what was really going down as quickly as some of us did, and I probably only did because I'd just re-watched season 1.

True. I had downloaded season 1 probably a week before season 2 had begun and watched about 4 episodes a day. Not only for the reason to catch up, but because the show was so good I didn't want to wait to see what happened next.

And because of how much I crammed, small things like Michael not being Phil's son completely fled my mind.

Andru
February 12th, 2009, 1:06 AM
Excellent show tonight...

Loved how they went back to season one and are bringing back some elements that made the first season so successful. From Katie recognizing her stalker, and Ellen's gift from David, things are really starting to come full circle involving Ellen's perspective. Cannot wait to see where things go with Ellen after Frobisher becomes Patty's plantiff.

This thread is unfortunately very slow :(

LOCONUT
February 13th, 2009, 5:06 PM
Another solid episode. I find myself starting to get a bit worn out with parts of the shows gimmick and the overall pacing...

This show may offer the best known cast, but I look at Sons of Anarchy as the FX Flagship now.

Mills
February 13th, 2009, 7:22 PM
Until it ends, Nip / Tuck is FX's flagship.

LOCONUT
February 13th, 2009, 7:37 PM
May be ratings wise, but Nip/Tuck is unwatchable nonsense.

Miotch
February 13th, 2009, 9:26 PM
It's almost watchable this season.

Ringo
February 15th, 2009, 3:13 PM
This is starting tonight on BBC One over here, it appears. I'll give it a shot.

Mills
February 15th, 2009, 3:32 PM
May be ratings wise, but Nip/Tuck is unwatchable nonsense.

It's been much better this season than the crap that was last season and the mediocrity that was season 4.

Tim
March 2nd, 2009, 6:19 PM
I think the show has really picked up over the last 3 episodes, they're starting to do the twists and turns again and I love how everyone is associated with someone else that you weren't expecting. Like:

Patty's husband investing in the energy company she's fighting, Timothy Olyphantwhatever working for the guy who was working for Frobisher, and Frobisher working with Patty for a short period and that whole scenario with Uncle Pete.

And I'm really interested in seeing how that faceoff between Ellen and Patty with the gun ends, you know she doesn't kill her because they're both lead characters and signed on for 6 years but I'm definitely intrigued to see how it plays out.

I'm really excited to see the next episode after watching the last 3 in a row.

Mills
March 15th, 2009, 5:07 AM
I've been behind for the past week but finally got caught up with this last week's episode. Hot damn what a good episode though I'm sad about the death or Mario Van Peebles That person was always a favorite bit actor of mine.

JAYD
March 17th, 2009, 1:13 PM
This season has steadily built each week and has been so damn good. What a great show nobody ever talks about.

Can they wrap this all up in 3 weeks? So so so many loose ends.

They've teased us with the gunshots fired by Ellen at the end, now we know the FBI dude is watching when she does it, and Patty emerges from the room melodramatically with blood on her. Is somebody else in the room with them? Theories? Ellen shoots at Patty then shoots herself? (Since she's kinda on a downward spiral)

Miotch
March 17th, 2009, 3:00 PM
There's bound to be at least one major twist with everything going on.

RockOverBoston
March 17th, 2009, 4:20 PM
Is somebody else in the room with them?

One would certainly almost have to think so...

Theories? Ellen shoots at Patty then shoots herself? (Since she's kinda on a downward spiral)

Rose Byrne's also signed her contract for Season 3, and "Ellen Parsons" has never struck me as anywhere near unstable enough to shoot herself, even in this "downward spiral", so I'm thinking that's hugely unlikely.

This show is absolutely steamrolling lately, though.

JAYD
March 30th, 2009, 7:47 PM
1 more ep this season right?

Miotch
March 30th, 2009, 8:28 PM
Yep.

JAYD
April 1st, 2009, 11:30 PM
Interesting finish, I guess you had to expect it to end in a way like this as they can't get rid of either Patty or Ellen, but how they'll balance that relationship from here on out and make it believable is beyond me.

Miotch
April 2nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
Enjoyed it, but am disappointed. Season 1 was one of the best seasons of television I've ever seen. Season 2 was not.

LOCONUT
April 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
My expectations going in to this episode were pretty low. I didn't think they were going to be able to tie it up satisfactorily at all. I actually thought they did a pretty good job. Can't compare to Season 1, but what can really?

RockOverBoston
April 2nd, 2009, 2:15 PM
It's kind of a double-edged sword here -- standing on its own, this second season fell pretty well short of the first in pretty much every aspect - 'twas more predictable, less concise, less twist-driven, and by the last few episodes, the "flashback" scenes had given a bit too much away.

That all being said, as far as a piece in what now appears as though it's going to be a fairly long series, in due time it'll probably come off looking much better well down the road than it does the day after airing. The ending tied up this season's case admirably, got them out of the corners season 1 had written them into effectively (namely: how the hell were they going to get through this season without Patty or Ellen - Tom too, for that matter - either dead or arrested?) and, it would seem, foreshadowed what's to come fairly well (Frobisher's random scene, I have little doubt, wasn't random whatsoever, for example. Claire will likely be back in some capacity as well.)

A bit let down today, but I'm pretty convinced that this whole season is a.) a small part of a much larger tale, b.) will be effectively revisited going forward, enhancing its importance, and c.) still better than most of what else is on TV these days anyway.

Glenn Close earned herself another Emmy here - the Patty Hewes character recieved ample development this season and displayed more layers than it did in season 1 - and a nomination could be forthcoming for William Hurt as well.

Miotch
April 2nd, 2009, 2:34 PM
I really wasn't impressed by William Hurt if I'm being honest. As central to the storyline as his character was, he still wasn't in a large chunk of the season. I also didn't really give a shit what happened to his character from the get go.

RockOverBoston
April 2nd, 2009, 2:48 PM
Oh, it'd be one of those "holy shit, (soandso) did television, huh?"-type nominations that come three or four per year, that's all I meant there - I preferred literally all of the other supporting characters, but they lack in name power (except Marcia Gay Harden, who appeared even less than Hurt did).

Also, I suppose I care about what happened to his character now, as it was left open-ended and yet I don't see any need for him to return next year.

LOCONUT
April 2nd, 2009, 2:55 PM
I thought he did a good enough job with what he had to work with. If you consider that his story line was written as erratically as it was...

I got the distinct impression that the writers were booking him on the fly at times.

RockOverBoston
April 2nd, 2009, 3:32 PM
Pretty much still have that opinion, really...

...since he's currently sitting in jail awaiting trial for a murder that he didn't actually commit, yet legitimatly believed that he had.

Could have killed all of 80 seconds detailing how he wound up guilty of attempted murder or attempted manslaughter or what have you as opposed to leaving his character completely open-ended for no particular reason

JAYD
April 4th, 2009, 1:15 AM
I really enjoyed the season, I think it's impossible to top season one but they did a good job keeping it interesting without it spiraling into sillyness.

I will miss the Bearded villain, he was so awesome.

Organasm
May 10th, 2009, 2:15 PM
Just a reminder that the season 2 finale is on BBC1 tonight. I think the show's quality has been in freefall for a couple of episodes now but I've stuck with it this long I might as well see where they're going with season 3. Should be a fresh direction if Ellen shooting Patty and Patty firing Tom don't end up being fucking swerves.

Organasm
May 11th, 2009, 8:25 PM
Should be a fresh direction if Ellen shooting Patty and Patty firing Tom don't end up being fucking swerves.
*Groan*

Season 2 felt like they knew how to end it but they struggled with what to do in the meantime. Patty's personal issues happening in the second half of the season took away a lot of the focus from the UNR case, which was only worth it for the Hewes/Kendrick/Frobisher interaction, when they'd have been better served in the first half and she'd have more empathy for Claire being fucked out of her job.
UNR stock lawsuit was a shitty thing to base the season around as it's hard to care about rich people losing money on their stocks, compared to a CEO fucking his workers out of their hard-earned (last season) or Farmers having their livestock killed off (Which they spent about one episode on).

Cast-wise I thought the show was pretty clever in having all the shittiest characters/actors being killed off in the first season. Only person I didn't like this season was Clarke Peters who could have used a bit more menace when politely threatening people and had surprisingly no chemisty at all in his scenes with John Doman. The producers obviously had a hard-on for The Wire.

Good to see the obvious improvement in Cinematography to give it a movie feel, but many of the characters felt bland this time around and there weren't any highlights to match those of the 1st season. Couple of the final episodes (From Uncle Pete in hospital until the penltimate) were just there to move the plot, bereft of that FUN thing.

Favourite dream sequence this season:
Daniel Purcell fails to stop his wife being murdered because he can't. Clean. These. Dishes.

In short:
Season 1 was fantastic apart from the shit people getting way too much screen time.
Season 2 was so underwhelming I probably won't care about #3 when it comes around.

Canuck
November 10th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Not really interested in reading this thread and spoiling season 2 to see how it kept up. Was it worth watching?

Miotch
November 10th, 2009, 1:25 PM
It's worth a watch, I suppose. I'm going to watch season 3, and it's definitely the sort of show where you don't want to miss a season. It wasn't as good as season 1 by a long shot though, and if season 3 isn't very good I'll probably stop watching all together.

LOCONUT
November 10th, 2009, 2:29 PM
Not terrible. They set the bar way too high in Season 1. Nothing will come close to that. The formula of the show seems to have an expiration date as well.

Canuck
November 10th, 2009, 8:30 PM
I feared another Heroes type show with this one. Hopefully it doesn't get that bad.

Miotch
November 10th, 2009, 8:34 PM
I don't think it will be THAT bad, but the dropoff might be that significant if that makes sense. I rank Damages Season 1 up there in the top 2 or 3 seasons of television I've ever seen.

Andru
January 26th, 2010, 12:23 AM
Just watched the premiere of Season 3

Just in case it hasn't aired somewhere yet, ill tag my thoughts...

The episode in general was pretty boring up until the end. I don't know if it was the fact that Ellen & Patty hardly shared the screen or if there was just a lack of familiar faces, but the episode just seemed completely different from season 1 or 2. But, with only one episode so far, I guess I can't really make that call.

I will try not to jump to conclusions, due to it being the first episode, and the fact that they have to set everything up for the rest of the season.

They did however do a decent job leaving many questions unanswered ...

Who crashed into Patty? Who did Louis Tobin call after dinner? Why did the hobo have Ellen's purse? Why was Tom living in run down apt? And who killed Tom?

Hopefully within the next couple episodes we will see some familiar faces ... Ted, Wes, Michael, Phil, maybe even Katie?

JAYD
January 30th, 2010, 1:22 AM
I think the first ep is just setting groundwork, seemed pretty solid.

Andru
February 11th, 2010, 10:32 PM
The two latest episodes were both pretty good. Guess I just panicked a little too early. However, my instincts were right about Wes, he was written out. No doubt, he probably didn't have time to shoot with The Crazies and Justified taking up his time.

Anyways, very intriguing so far, especially with the death of Tom and how Ellen was involved, if at all. Interesting to find out if Ellen and Tom had something on the side as they are surely hinting towards it.

RockOverBoston
April 14th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Alright, those of us who are still watching can get caught up with the Season 3 chit-chat, but that's not the purpose of the bump.

It seems as though Damages is in very serious consideration to get the ax from FX. I don't suppose that's particularly surprising, as it seems the ratings have sharply declined from season to season (arguably right along with the quality of the show, though depending on how this season wraps up, this season could prove to be a slight improvement over Season 2).

It's said that DirecTV are already preparing to purchase its broadcast rights, a la "Friday Night Lights". Wise move on their part?

LOCONUT
April 14th, 2010, 2:22 AM
I think this season has been exceptional. It will probably never be as good as it was in season 1, but I love this show. It has been a major improvement from last season and the number of guest appearances from actors off of other amazing shows has just been ridiculous. I truly hope this stays on FX, but I will happily follow the show wherever it goes.

Rose Byrne is a fucking serious fantasy.

RockOverBoston
April 14th, 2010, 2:26 AM
Admittedly, I've missed 2 episodes this season...and as such, no doubt I've missed some pretty key stuff.

I'm also a little guilty of having heightened expectations of it due to the greatness that was season 1.

But yeah, loving the fact that so many other shows I absolutely love have been in some way represented this season...Junior Soprano, FFS!

Miotch
April 14th, 2010, 3:08 AM
I have gone on record saying I essentially hated season 2.

That said, I've loved this whole season, with the exception of Rose Byrnes'' family shit. Unnecessary.

LOCONUT
April 14th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I am legitimately in love with her...

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/11/28/rose_byrne_wideweb__430x315.jpg
http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2007/07/20/previews/Rose%20Byrne-JTM-027773.jpg
http://acmserver.cs.ucr.edu/~jpelen/rose_byrne.jpg
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2007/08/10/amd_rose_premiere.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ay_EOXCISLc/R_qRglYhAFI/AAAAAAAABrs/lsY9mUFk2OM/s400/rose_byrne_02.jpg

RockOverBoston
April 14th, 2010, 2:18 PM
That said, I've loved this whole season, with the exception of Rose Byrnes'' family shit. Unnecessary.

My train of thought was that maybe, just maybe, that was to have led to a storyline down the road a ways -- like 3 or 4 seasons down the road -- and that perhaps the payoff would have made it eventually worthwhile.

Admittedly, that was me trying to put a positive spin on something that, as you said, seems extremely unnecessary.

Variety's now reporting that DirecTV are no longer considered major players for "Damages", making next Monday's episode the likely series finale.

LOCONUT
April 21st, 2010, 3:17 AM
I haven't seen any formal announcements, but the season finale certainly appeared to be the series finale. I do hope that DirectTV or TNT picks up the show, but I was pretty disappointed with the last episode after what I thought was a bit of a return to glory this season for Damages.

Martin Short was brilliant, and this season was easily Glenn Close's career performance.

Bringing back Wes for 1 episode to tie up the loose ends of Season 1 was a cop out that they should have avoided regardless of the shows uncertain future.

"Hey Wes we need to talk". "OK, I will turn myself in and narc on Frobisher. K thx". :no:

I did REALLY like the final scene though, with Patty at the end of the dock just looking back as Ellen walked away. Felt like a fitting end. Reminded me of the directing of the last few episodes of The Shield.

JAYD
April 23rd, 2010, 5:33 PM
Really good season, sad if its over.

Tim
May 8th, 2010, 7:33 AM
I haven't seen any formal announcements, but the season finale certainly appeared to be the series finale. I do hope that DirectTV or TNT picks up the show, but I was pretty disappointed with the last episode after what I thought was a bit of a return to glory this season for Damages.

Martin Short was brilliant, and this season was easily Glenn Close's career performance.

Bringing back Wes for 1 episode to tie up the loose ends of Season 1 was a cop out that they should have avoided regardless of the shows uncertain future.

"Hey Wes we need to talk". "OK, I will turn myself in and narc on Frobisher. K thx". :no:

I did REALLY like the final scene though, with Patty at the end of the dock just looking back as Ellen walked away. Felt like a fitting end. Reminded me of the directing of the last few episodes of The Shield.

Why? I thought they were doing atleast 5 seasons?

I just finished watching the last 4 episodes yesterday and while I didn't dislike season 2, season 3 was much better. And I too was a little bothered by the Wes/Frobisher rush ending. I wanted to see them actually continue to build up Frobisher through the next season and then have him go bad again with the success of the movie.

That would really suck if this is the ending of the show. It's quite easily the best show on FX, and one of the best on all of tv. I bet if they added some gay romance about a tortured vampire and a mortal teenage girl it'd be the highest rated show on TV.

RockOverBoston
September 12th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Just for the sake of informing anyone who hasn't yet been informed, DirecTV has purchased the rights to "Damages" and will be airing at least 2 new 10 episode seasons exclusively on The 101 Network.

The operating budget stands to be slashed heavily, so I'd not be expecting any further seasons of multiple huge guest stars. I'm not sure they're necessary, though, and I'm mostly just glad that the show hasn't died yet.

Tim
September 12th, 2010, 1:16 AM
I don't have DirecTV, I guess I'll have to buy them when they come out on DVD.

RockOverBoston
September 12th, 2010, 1:22 AM
I'd have to think that somehow, some way, those episodes just might make their way onto the internet.

Also, I will not smile and blow you, just for the record.

Canuck
March 16th, 2011, 5:41 PM
I've started season 2 of this. This Daniel guy is a brutal, brutal actor.

Miotch
March 16th, 2011, 6:18 PM
William Hurt was really pretty poor in this, but he's generally not a bad actor at all.

RockOverBoston
March 19th, 2011, 12:29 PM
The operating budget stands to be slashed heavily, so I'd not be expecting any further seasons of multiple huge guest stars.

One singular one is pretty cool with me, however, especially since it's John Goodman. We're also getting Dylan Baker (Google his picture if the name doesn't ring a bell, ypou'll recognize the face - hugely, hugely underrated character actor) Chris Messina and Bailey Chase. Star wattage is a bit lower than in season's past, perhaps, but the potential for greatness is still there.

Andru
July 13th, 2011, 6:25 PM
Well Season 4 premiere tonight. I dont know one single person with DirecTV, so hopefully this pops up somewhere within the week.

Andru
July 20th, 2011, 9:37 PM
Just saw the first episode. I guess there is a 3 year span that has passed since last season.

They only briefly mentioned Tom's death. It almost feels like a new show in that there was hardly any connection to last season, But then again, 3 years has apparently passed.

Don't want to spoil anything, so I will just say this season looks to be very promising. Byrne was amazing as always, and Messina did an excellent job as well.

It just sucks that such a smart and compelling show wound up on Direct TV, which will only limit viewers and ultimately decrease ratings even more.

Miotch
July 20th, 2011, 9:53 PM
Well FX canned it, so DirecTV picked up the scraps. It's not about ratings so much as it is about original programming for the network, especially a show with a following.

Tim
July 22nd, 2011, 11:28 PM
I guess I have to wait for the dvd because it's not on hulu.

Tim
September 22nd, 2011, 11:40 PM
Thankfully I found the entire 4th season online. I find the relationship between Patty and Ellen to be fascinating. I wasn't into the premise for this 4th season all that much, but I enjoy seeing them interact with each other.

The ending was kinda obvious with Ellen being the only witness against Patty in the custody hearing. With Ellen not working for Patty anymore it was an easy way to have them stay involved with each other for the next season. It was also a kick in the nuts of sorts to have Patty end up getting the case that would of made Ellen's career, but it makes sense to have Ellen turn it down.

I know they signed Byrne and Close on for 5 seasons before the Direct TV deal any word on whether they're continuing on after the 5th season? I know Byrne is having a fairly successful movie career so I could see her not coming back, but I'm super curious as to how they finish the 5th season.

And if there are any Damages fans that can't find the 4th season, here goes it:

http://eztvstream.com/category/damages

Andru
October 5th, 2011, 8:24 PM
I have to say that this season was probably my favorite, besides season 1.

The acting was all top notch and I really enjoyed the story. The only gripe I had was that it started to get predictable.

Tim, I would assume the series will end with season 5.

Clive Plasma
November 29th, 2013, 11:56 AM
FYI: This is on offer on Amazon at the moment. All 5 seasons for £22.99.

Fro
July 7th, 2014, 9:20 PM
watched season 1. I liked it plenty but my one complaint is I thought there were too many deaths to maintain a realistic feel. when I was watching the finale I was thinking "okay half the main cast is already dead so obviously Frobisher has to die now to get his comeuppance but he can't right cuz that would just make this white collar lawyer show even more over the top and unreal oh god he's in a field smiling he's definitely gonna die now BANG yep okay he's dead." great season and I'm going to press on but I think it would have been better if it stayed more grounded and didnt have everyone killing each other

Clive Plasma
July 8th, 2014, 4:27 AM
I'm stuck half way through season 4. So bored of it now.

Morrison
July 8th, 2014, 2:54 PM
just watched the first episode of this on saturday night. enjoyed it well enough, though some parts i kinda rolled my eyes at. specifically the very end of the episode with the dog collar. what reason was there for taking the collar and delivering it to patty besides to show the viewer she orchestrated it? it was a nice 'ohhhhh shit' moment, but thinking about it for a minute and i was kinda just like 'ehhh.'

Fro
July 9th, 2014, 4:19 PM
I'm stuck half way through season 4. So bored of it now.

Are seasons 2 and 3 worthwhile?

Fro
July 27th, 2014, 1:40 PM
Okay I'm 5 episodes into season 2 and so far this season is stronger than the first. William Hurt is a great addition and the lawsuit in this season is a lot more interesting than the Frobisher case