PDA

View Full Version : Comedy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Simon
November 17th, 2008, 3:00 PM
What comedy do you enjoy? Tell me some shows, stand-ups or whatever you have been enjoying recently. Link to articles or whatever. I fancied creating some debate about comedy to perk people up a bit.

Here is a decent article about Radio 4 smugness in comedy:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/nov/17/radio-bbc

BBC must end its smug comedy consensus
* Martin Kelner

The comedy writer and performer Jon Holmes's recent Guardian blog about the Sachsgate row attracted the usual mix of reasoned argument, vitriol and personal abuse - with the latter very much favoured.

Among the predictable bile, however, I noticed the word "smug" surfacing once or twice, particularly in relation to one of Holmes's radio programmes, The Now Show. A tad harsh, I thought - but I can understand what prompted the barb.

I am generally a fan of the BBC's topical comedy/panel shows, but there is no denying a tendency towards smugness at times, and it is by no means confined to The Now Show. Jeremy Hardy on Radio 4's The News Quiz, for instance, is a funny man but there is something about his tone - maybe it is the approbation of the audience - that occasionally seems so self-satisfied that, even while you are laughing, you want to give him a smack round the neck with a sock filled with horse manure.

The host, Sandi Toksvig, and at least two of the other guests often follow a similar line to Hardy, giving the impression that ideas and attitudes are seeping through the air conditioning at Broadcasting House, creating a kind of comedy consensus. It was particularly apparent when Sarah Palin - admittedly not a difficult figure to ridicule - was herded into the News Quiz lineup of acceptable targets.

Without lining up alongside those who accuse the BBC of being a hotbed of dangerous pinko deviants, I surely cannot be alone in noting the rarely changing cast in the corral. Aside from obvious political targets such as Bush and Blair, I have noticed a preponderance of jokes over the past year or so - more especially on The Now Show - aimed at James Blunt, Chris Martin and figures such as Jade Goody, Wayne Rooney and Kerry Katona.

It would be easy to form the impression that at 6.30pm on a Friday evening on Radio 4, comedy opprobrium is reserved for a combination of Conservatives and chavs, with a side order of British pop stars who have been successful in America - conveying the inescapable message that the working classes will be supported as long as they have the good grace not to become rich and famous.

I have been listening particularly closely of late to the participants on these shows, and those on Clive Anderson's Chat Room on Radio 2, and on Five Live shows such as Richard Bacon and Gabby Logan, as I am involved in the production of three broadcast pilots of a talkshow for Five Live - which I am resisting the temptation to gratuitously plug - and we are currently booking panellists.

We are quite keen to avoid the cosy broadly leftwing anti-James Blunt consensus I have spotted elsewhere, but it is proving difficult.

America has a plethora of witty intellectuals such as PJ O'Rourke coming broadly from the right. In fact, the rightwing talkshows on American radio are invariably more entertaining than the liberal ones. In the UK, it is more or less a choice between Richard Littlejohn and Jeremy Clarkson.

The guests I enjoy most on The News Quiz are the ones who are not overtly political such as Fred MacAulay - and, of course, Alan Coren, of blessed memory - and there is a new generation of comedians such as the brilliant Mark Watson, who are political only in the widest sense, and already illuminating several programmes on BBC radio.

But ours is a show about points of view, and if the only points of view available come from one side the descent into smugness will be inescapable. We hope to surmount this by skewing our questions away from the topical towards the philosophical - and also by the cunning ruse of booking my mates, who have strict instructions not to be smug. And to lay off James Blunt.

JIJ
November 17th, 2008, 3:03 PM
I don't understand why you analyze comedy so much Simon.

Not having a pop, I just genuinely don't get how it doesn't ruin it for you.

I watch comedy purely for a laugh, it cheers me up and allows me some time where I don't have to think too much if you know what I mean.

Fanny
November 17th, 2008, 4:27 PM
I've been watching Curb Your Enthusiasm season 6 recently. Although it's gone even more over the top than it used to be, it's utterly fantastic. And Cheryl Hynes is classic.

Other than that, I caught an episode of that new Jack Dee sitcom the other night. I tuned in with extreme trepidation that it might be another huge stinker as most UK sitcoms on TV save for The Office and Extras (season 1 and the specials, that is, I maintain that season 2 was largely poor) have been over the last 10 years. I was pleasantly surprised by how dry and glib it was. Dee really impressed me as Spleen and the supporting cast are for the most part more than secondary, line-delivering shmos.

The new Futurama episodes, by the way, are complete and utter stinkers. The stories are shit, the animation is lazy and the characterisation is a huge step backward from everything they'd set up with the first 4 seasons. Very, very disappointing. And I'm a huge Futurama fan.

Similarly, season 12 of South Park has been rather phoned in. The guys have gotten lazy and a lot of the episodes have become fairly formulaic (see: 'Super Phun Thyme' and 'Eek a Penis!'). The difference with South Park is that, even when they fall into a safe, ruttish area they still manage to deliver at least 60% of a fantastic episode in terms of one-liners, in-jokes and gross-out. It really helps that by this point we're so invested in the characters (especially Butters, Jimmy, Cartman and Randy Marsh) that those figures can remain unchanged and the comedy comes from even the tiniest change in situation and how they react to it; which is to say once said reactions become apparent, we almost knew they'd react that way in a "lmao, that's so randy Marsh" way but are still surprised and cheered by that same reaction.

Moving on to other media, if I may, the Adam and Joe podcast just goes from strength to strength. Song Wars, Text the Nation, the special guests (see: Roger Moore and occasional stand-in co-presenter Garth *can't remember his surname...the guy who directed Hitchiker's Guide*) along with the usual inane, innocent banter delivered in one of few ways that can make you laugh out loud on the train into work in the morning; the show is one of the few pieces of comedy I look forward to and try to download as soon as its available each week.

The Russel Brand Show, on the other hand, had hit the shitter long before the infamous Andrew Sachs episode. From fleeting references to his own celebrity and s3xual endeavours very sparsely and minimially intertwined through a majority of relfections on his troubled past and relationship with co-host Matt Morgan, the last 5 or 6 episodes had descended into nothing more than a vulgar publication of the notches on his bedpost and how f^cking brilliant he is. Which I wouldn't mind awfully, if it weren't for the fact that he simply hasn't backed it up through other media and performances. Ponderland, his 'stand-up' show on Channel 4 is a tiresome shoutfest where Brand awkwardly twitches and cavorts around a seemingly tiny stage, jumping loosely from one link to the next and generally not making any informed, intelligent or even humorous observations that better comics already haven't, or instead saw the sense in ignoring completely. His 'triumph' in Hollywood so far left me fairly numb as well; Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I'm sorry, was a f^cking train wreck where Brand didn't just play himself, he was himself.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there. A little mixture of what i like and what I don't like of late. Other highlights include:

- Ricky Gervais Show: The Complete Fifth Series
- The Collins and Herring podcast
- Two and a Half Men (I know, I know, there's NOTHING about this show that I should like, but I can't help it...)
- The Sam and Tom Show (podcast; been off the air for about 6 months but series 2 on it's way)

Oh, and I went to see Lee Evans recently and he was shit.

Version 6
November 17th, 2008, 5:30 PM
Anything done by Gervais and Merchant gets full marks from me. Curb is awesome. And I love Arrested Development.

If you like all of the above, you'll probably enjoy Flight of the Conchords. I've found it tickles me just right.

As far as movies go, I've really enjoyed all of Seth Rogan's stuff. Saw Pineapple Express a few nights ago, and it was immense. Didn't disappoint at all.

Eggbert Spam
November 17th, 2008, 6:45 PM
The new Futurama episodes, by the way, are complete and utter stinkers. The stories are shit, the animation is lazy and the characterisation is a huge step backward from everything they'd set up with the first 4 seasons. Very, very disappointing. And I'm a huge Futurama fan.

Your enjoyment of the stories is subjective, but you are absolutely wrong about the animation. I've really never seen a stupider comment around here. The animation is miles better than anything they've done previously, and anything else on TV.

Tildey
November 17th, 2008, 9:11 PM
I love stand up comedy. Lewis Black is probably one of my favorites. And Jeff Dunham is a kind of guilty pleasure. I know it's wrong, but he makes me laugh.

The_Mike
November 17th, 2008, 9:13 PM
I love Lewis Black as well. It's great watching him almost have a heart attack over just about everything, and what's greater is he usually picks topics that more people really should be apoplectic about.

Badger
November 17th, 2008, 9:32 PM
Anything done by Reeves and Mortimer.

Hobbit
November 17th, 2008, 9:36 PM
Anything done by Gervais and Merchant

+ Pilkington and yes.

Tildey
November 17th, 2008, 9:39 PM
I love Lewis Black as well. It's great watching him almost have a heart attack over just about everything, and what's greater is he usually picks topics that more people really should be apoplectic about.

:lol: Absolutely. One of my favorite bits is watching him go on about the Starbucks across from the Starbucks. Gets me laughing so hard I can hardly breathe every time. That and the "if it weren't for my horse I wouldn't have spent that year in college." :lol:

Brian M.
November 18th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Wait what's wrong with liking Jeff Dunham?

Tildey
November 18th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Wait what's wrong with liking Jeff Dunham?

It just feels wrong to laugh that hard at Akhmed the Dead Terrorist. But I laugh anyway - so hard it hurts. :lol:

Just Do It
November 18th, 2008, 1:24 AM
I enjoy Mitch Hedberg.

GeezaTap
November 18th, 2008, 4:36 AM
I got Summer Heights High from Lovefilm over the weekend - it's an Australian mockumentary (i know, i hate the term too) set in a school.

It's about one guy playing 3 parts - a Tongan student, a stuck-up bitch and a poofy drama teacher.

It starts off a bit slow, but it's got a nice line in un-pc humour. :yes:

I also got Peep Show series 5 recently as well - the extras are always good on their DVD's.

Ochoa
November 18th, 2008, 4:40 AM
George Lopez. Being Mexican, I can relate to what he talks about.

Mantra
November 18th, 2008, 4:43 AM
Rodney Dangerfield, George Carlin, and Mitch Hedberg. My top 3 comedians of all time.

Marlon Dingle
November 18th, 2008, 4:43 AM
Summer Heights High is the fucking shit. Jonah is the funniest little shit every. "Fuck you sir!"

Marlon Dingle
November 18th, 2008, 6:56 AM
lol marlin i have about ten times the rep of you. also if you have a problem take it to off topic and beat me in a debate

agash, thats comedy.

Xhex
November 18th, 2008, 7:01 AM
It just feels wrong to laugh that hard at Akhmed the Dead Terrorist. But I laugh anyway - so hard it hurts. :lol:

I love akhmed!

First time I warched that i was crying with laughter.

"SILENCE!!...I Kill you!" :lol:

Tildey
November 18th, 2008, 8:58 AM
"SILENCE!!...I Kill you!" :lol:
:rofl: Have you watched the Christmas Special yet? We watched it Sunday on Comedy Central and I thought MTR was going to need CPR. I even learned some new Christmas songs. :yes:

JIJ
November 18th, 2008, 9:11 AM
:wtf:

....:lol:

Simon
November 18th, 2008, 9:48 AM
I don't understand why you analyze comedy so much Simon.

Not having a pop, I just genuinely don't get how it doesn't ruin it for you.

I watch comedy purely for a laugh, it cheers me up and allows me some time where I don't have to think too much if you know what I mean.
:dunno: it just doesn't...I love talking about comedy and seeing how other people feel about it, discussing it etc...if I'm honest at times it does ruin it if someone tells me something is shit then I go into it expecting it to be shit.

Marlon Dingle
November 18th, 2008, 9:50 AM
He wants to be like what Mik is with Movies. But with Comedy.

son_of_foley
November 18th, 2008, 9:51 AM
Like the inbetweeners. Am I right?

Simon
November 18th, 2008, 10:02 AM
The Inbetweeners was actually alright. Low-brow, but low-brow done well.

son_of_foley
November 18th, 2008, 10:05 AM
I liked it and it hurt me when JIJ hated it. It hurt me a lot.

Marlon Dingle
November 18th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Come on guys. That program sucked balls.

Simon
November 18th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Na, it was genuinely really good at times. Captured the reality of school life as well, much better than any other British show.

1_Pablo_Angel
November 18th, 2008, 10:08 AM
In Betweeners had some good moments.

JIJ eventually conceded as much as I recall.

Marlon Dingle
November 18th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Na, it was genuinely really good at times. Captured the reality of school life as well, much better than any other British show.

What by looking like your 26, and the fact you would do things that no sane person would. I watched the episode the boy got a shit car and they went to the theme park. They ended up getting the car trashed to fuck. And then the boy walked home with just the car door. As if.

Simon
November 18th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Started watching the show again recently, thought I'd bump an old favourite.

Couple of things:

1. Is it just me, or is the actress who played Cassandra one of the worst actresses ever? Not only bad in herself, but completely out of sync with the rest of the cast (which I suppose is deliberate to an extent, but she is so wooden it's unbelievable).

2. I can't work out why, but despite the earlier episodes being funnier, I prefer the later episodes. Not the final three (after they were rich), but everything from series 6 onwards - in fact, going against my first point, when Cassandra and then Raquel were brought in. I don't know, it just feels more warm and cosy, and more likeable. Not quite as funny and heavier on the saccharine, but somehow I prefer it like that. Is that just me?

3. Do I remember John Sullivan refusing to entirely rule out another return? That would have been a few years ago now and they're all getting older though, so who knows...part of me would love to see more, another part of me would hate to see them ruin the legacy...but ultimately I'd love a couple more episodes.

son_of_foley
November 18th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I watched the first episode again and it's actually quite good. That being said though I warmed to the I.T crowd in its 2nd season. :(

son_of_foley
November 18th, 2008, 10:20 AM
The only fools and horses episode where rodney has to pretend to be 16 is brilliant. I think he's won a holiday on a Kellogs Cornflakes competition or something

Simon
November 18th, 2008, 11:49 AM
That episode is one of the finest hours of sitcom I've ever seen. The ending is great as well, and it sums up the perfection of the writing that the heroes of the show are fucked over by their own schemes as often as they work.

Other great episodes...

Series 3 Episode 3 - 'Friday The 14th' - the one where Del, Rodney and Grandpa go to Boycie's cottage in the countryside to do a spot of illegal fishing, only for an escaped and murderous mental patient to come looking for them. Great set-pieces, and it ends with a truly genius gag, which I won't spoil now.

Series 3 Episode 5 - 'May The Force Be With You' - the one where Rodney meets Slater in the pub and invites him back to the flat, not knowing he's a copper. The boys get arrested and most of the episode is spent in the police station, 'where hilarity ensues'. Some hilarious stuff, particularly the varying descriptions of the man they claim to have seen stealing the microwave, and the end gag is fucking CLASSIC, probably my favourite moment from the show ever...I think the entire episode was based around this one gag - a daring trick to try and pull off, but the gag is so funny that it very definitely works - not just as a gag, but as a way of ending the episode perfectly.

Series 5 Episode 3 - 'The Longest Night' - the one where they're all in the supermarket for a really very long time indeed. The only episode, as far as I know, where they're never in the flat, but it works despite the new surroundings. The plot is great, as it all gradually becomes known who is setting who up, who's behind the robbery etc...plus there are some great moments, particularly Rodney picking up the cigarettes rather than the gun, and Lennox Gilbey's never to be forgotten line 'They seek him here, they seek him there, those policemen seek him everywhere, is he in Heaven, or is he in Hell, that damned elusive sh-a-dow'. Emphasis VERY MUCH on the 'sh-a-dow' bit, still makes me laugh 15 viewings later. Great stuff.

Series 6 Episode 3 - 'Chain Gang' - not much to say about this really other than it's just generally a great episode, the plot works brilliantly with Del being robbed out of his money by someone he considers a friend - the only time in the show that I can recall where a friend screws him over - odd, because so much emphasis is placed on the tightness of the community, you might not be able to trust someone, but if you're a friend, you're a friend...some great gags, and the ending is superb, with Del and co winning the day.

Marlon Dingle
November 18th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Oh what about that bit wher Del Boy falls through the bar.
HAHAHAH. FUNNY.

Simon
November 18th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Decent bit of physical comedy rendered unfunny by incessant repeat showings. The chandelier moment was much better anyway.

Marlon Dingle
November 18th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Decent bit of physical comedy rendered unfunny by incessant repeat showings. The chandelier moment was much better anyway.

So true. That scene along with Rodney and Del boy running down the street in Batman and Robin outfits which even I can remember proper pissing myself the first time i seen that as a kid. But yeah seen it too many times.

I steal cable
November 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Oh what about that bit wher Del Boy falls through the bar.
HAHAHAH. FUNNY.

Stewart Lee does an amazing bit about the public's need to keep voting for that sketch as the funniest ever.

Simon
November 18th, 2008, 12:24 PM
So true. That scene along with Rodney and Del boy running down the street in Batman and Robin outfits which even I can remember proper pissing myself the first time i seen that as a kid. But yeah seen it too many times.

I HATED the Batman and Robin thing at first, thought it was too silly and out of line with what OFAH was all about...but it gradually grew on me and now I fucking love it.

They are all overrated though (just the way these things are I guess, overplayed = overrated), there are tons of better moments. Grandad's wendy house line might be my favourite of all.

Simon
November 18th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Stewart Lee does an amazing bit about the public's need to keep voting for that sketch as the funniest ever.

LINK?

Winkle van Tinkle
November 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM
BUT I WANTED AN EMPEROR BURGER!

I steal cable
November 18th, 2008, 12:43 PM
LINK?

I've been looking everywhere for a video of it. I think it was part of his 41st best stand up routine but they cut it from DVD, fuck knows why.

Simon
November 18th, 2008, 12:56 PM
BUT I WANTED AN EMPEROR BURGER!

-"They're not just lawnmower engines...they're BROKEN lawnmower engines"
-"Vot iss your nem?"
-"If it's a girl they're calling it Sigourney, after an actress. And if it's a boy, they're calling it Rodney...after Dave."
-I've had this broom for 20 years. It's had 17 new heads and 14 new handles in its time"

Mary, FIND IT. Sort it out.

Hobbit
November 18th, 2008, 1:22 PM
SCREENWIPE back tonight at half 10 BBC4 :hyper:

Xhex
November 18th, 2008, 1:25 PM
:rofl: Have you watched the Christmas Special yet? We watched it Sunday on Comedy Central and I thought MTR was going to need CPR. I even learned some new Christmas songs. :yes:

There's a christmas special?

Does Jeff have his own show then?

Marlon Dingle
November 18th, 2008, 5:04 PM
...They are all overrated though (just the way these things are I guess, overplayed = overrated), there are tons of better moments.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7mi6tP9h_JE

End of this episode is class.

SCREENWIPE back tonight at half 10 BBC4 :hyper:

Already been called.

Tildey
November 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
There's a christmas special?

Does Jeff have his own show then?

He has at least three Comedy Central Specials that I know of. Spark of Insanity, Arguing With Myself, and then Jeff Dunham's Very Special Christmas Special (new this year).

Here's a link to some clips from the Christmas Special. http://www.comedycentral.com/comedians/browse/d/jeff_dunham.jhtml

Just Do It
November 18th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Rodney Dangerfield, George Carlin, and Mitch Hedberg. My top 3 comedians of all time.

This person speaks the truth.

The Rogerer
November 19th, 2008, 2:19 PM
I HATED the Batman and Robin thing at first, thought it was too silly and out of line with what OFAH was all about...but it gradually grew on me and now I fucking love it.

They are all overrated though (just the way these things are I guess, overplayed = overrated), there are tons of better moments. Grandad's wendy house line might be my favourite of all.I'm guessing you didn't see it when it was first aired, either that or you already had a strong comedy manifesto at 10 years old. :)

Only Fools and Horses is very solidly written comedy and I think it's only easy to put it down because you know what's coming.

What was said about the Russell Brand show was right - in the last month it just turned into a shreiking match, he became a parody of himself, and every interview was just him pressing a woman for 5 minutes "Let's shag, okay... Of course I'm only joking, but you will shag me, won't you?", trying to make his lack of structure seem part of the act when he was really just losing it. Still, I do miss it.

Ackmed (sp?) the Dead Terrorist, I didn't get that though - I had been told it was hilarious (by an English woman, believe it or not), but I watched a few clips and...nothing.

I steal cable
November 19th, 2008, 6:03 PM
Ackmed (sp?) the Dead Terrorist, I didn't get that though - I had been told it was hilarious (by an English woman, believe it or not), but I watched a few clips and...nothing.

aye same here, just didn't find it that funny at all

the only terrorist kinda thing that ever had me in stitches was this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKTsJpfC0IQ

Simon
November 20th, 2008, 4:00 PM
I'm guessing you didn't see it when it was first aired, either that or you already had a strong comedy manifesto at 10 years old. :)
Eleven actually :p I can honestly say that the first time it aired I didn't really enjoy that bit. Nowhere near as much as I do now. I'm sure it wasn't a "this isn't what OFAH is all about, they've really jumped the shark here" feeling - I just didn't think it was very funny, and didn't understand why it was loved so much - any mention of that superb final run of three episodes in '96 was inevitably followed by a clip of them running through the streets, and I didn't quite get the love of it. Whereas now it genuinely does have me in hysterics every time I see it.

I think the first "analyst" thought of comedy I ever had was thinking how blatant it was that The Royle Family did the Mambo No. 5 dance as their own 'classic clipshow moment'.

What was said about the Russell Brand show was right - in the last month it just turned into a shreiking match, he became a parody of himself, and every interview was just him pressing a woman for 5 minutes "Let's shag, okay... Of course I'm only joking, but you will shag me, won't you?", trying to make his lack of structure seem part of the act when he was really just losing it. Still, I do miss it
I stopped it enjoying it ages ago, when Cocky Locky left. At it's best it was fantastic though - Brand's story of playing GTA and realising he was making a mess of another life was fucking fantastic. Ponderland is garbage though, it's the most linear show I think I've ever seen. Every episode, in fact every clip in every episode, is the same thing:

-Show vaguely humorous clip of someone saying something funny
-Cut to Brand, copying exactly what the person said, in a stupid voice

Every episode it's the exact same thing. I will admit that "Ya better watch oooout" from the first series was ridiculously funny and still hasn't got old, but merely stumbling on 2 seconds of good footage doesn't excuse the entire rest of the series being crap and the few episodes of the latest series being absolutely appalling.

Buzzcocks and Cats on tonight. Buzzcocks is better than it's been in years now, Amstell has settled into the role and while not as good as Lamarr at his peak, he's fantastic in his own way and the latest series' trend for disecting the making of the show has given it an extra dimension that works really well. Amstell is one of the best comedian's going right now, incredibly quick.

The show is often let down by crap guests and Phill "Never says anything funny but explodes with laughter at ANY joke from ANYONE ELSE" Jupitus being terrible, but Amstell makes it work - the worse the guests are, the better he tends to be.

8 Out Of 10 Cats is one of those dependably 'decent' shows, it's never going to be brilliant but it's always watchable because of Sean Lock and, to an extent, Jimmy Carr (though his scripted stuff is rubbish). Fat Michael Owen is likeable enough but not particularly funny, but at least the standard of guests is usually pretty good. David Mitchell is on tonight's episode, I think.

Also quick note - The I.T. Crowd is back on tomorrow night, series 3. Very underrated show that was criminally panned for not being as good as Father Ted when it first came out. The first two series were packed with great moments, and the replacement of one great boss (Chris Morris) with an even better one (Matt Berry) was a masterstroke, Berry's overacting is great - SPEAK, PRIEST! :D

I've not heard great things about the new series in fairness, but hopefully it comes into it's own. I'd say it's as good as Black Books.

N.E.R.F.
November 20th, 2008, 4:05 PM
Yeahhhhh had no idea about that. Download job though, out tomorrow!

Simon
November 20th, 2008, 4:34 PM
Good man. I'm currently working my way through a shitload of stand-up DVDs. So far I can say that:

-Frankie Boyle's was alright but got a bit boring. Excellent in parts but had heard too much of it before on MTW etc, and it had to much emphasis on shock jokes which was disappointing as I thought he had begun to move away from this sort of thing.

-Jimmy Carr's was good, much better than his last one. It had some stunningly offensive stuff in it, worse than a lot of what was in Frankie Boyle's. I like his style.

-Michael McIntyre's was ok but very average, got bored. He's likeable though.

BBF
November 20th, 2008, 4:58 PM
Russell Howard's stand up DVD was very good I thought. He's fast becoming one of my favourite comedians.

Torn
November 20th, 2008, 5:00 PM
I hate Russell Howard. An unfunny moron.

Watched Jimmy Carr's DVD and it was great, just as good as when I saw him live.

Simon
November 20th, 2008, 5:12 PM
Russell Howard's stand up DVD was very good I thought. He's fast becoming one of my favourite comedians.

Got that downloaded but haven't watched it yet. If it's anything like his appearances on panel shows it'll be 90 minutes where I don't laugh once but come out of it having enjoyed it.

Eggbert Spam
November 20th, 2008, 6:46 PM
I thought Michael McIntyre's was thoroughly enjoyable. I agree with you on Boyle's, heard it all before. Dara O'Briain's was ok, Bill Bailey's Tinselworm was quite good, same with Frank Skinner.

Xhex
November 20th, 2008, 6:56 PM
McIntyre's got some great material. I love his flamboyancy too.

Simon
November 20th, 2008, 7:22 PM
Mitchell was superb on 8OO10C, his angry rants are great and clearly he believes what he's saying. Particularly his happiness that the public chose Sargeant over everyone else.

What was O'Briain's like, Eggbert - similar to his last one where he interacts a lot with the crowd? He's at his best when he gets banter going, his material otherwise is good but not great.

Just Do It
November 20th, 2008, 7:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqSIFxVftAg

Eggbert Spam
November 20th, 2008, 7:43 PM
Mitchell was superb on 8OO10C, his angry rants are great and clearly he believes what he's saying. Particularly his happiness that the public chose Sargeant over everyone else.

What was O'Briain's like, Eggbert - similar to his last one where he interacts a lot with the crowd? He's at his best when he gets banter going, his material otherwise is good but not great.

I didn't see his last one, but yeah, that's basically it. When I say something was good, I'm generally only remembering not being bored or annoyed by it, so don't take it as a recommendation.

Simon
November 20th, 2008, 7:46 PM
I've already got it, just waiting to be watched - same with Russell Howard, Frank Skinner, Sean Lock, Bill Bailey and another I forget. Want to get Rowan Atkinson's as well, that's out now.

Tim Vine's new one was a massive disappointment.

Eggbert Spam
November 20th, 2008, 7:54 PM
Atkinson has a new one? What's it called?

Simon
November 20th, 2008, 7:56 PM
"Rowan Atkinson: Live" I think - imaginative!

Eggbert Spam
November 20th, 2008, 7:58 PM
Is it a new one or a re-release of the old one?

BBF
November 20th, 2008, 8:00 PM
Just finished Bill Bailey. Thought it was quite good but prefered 'Part Troll'. I do like how he adds the music in, quite different and keeps things fresh.

Might go back and watch Omid Djallili. Haven't seen his for a while and always thought he was alright.

GeezaTap
November 21st, 2008, 4:33 AM
Michael McIntyre's was ok but very average, got bored. He's likeable though.

Seriously? He really gets on my tits.

He's as likeable as a Challenge TV revival of the Crystal Maze hosted by the cunt from the Saw movies.

Eggbert Spam
November 21st, 2008, 4:38 AM
How's the comedy career going?

Marlon Dingle
November 21st, 2008, 5:14 AM
... Challenge TV revival of the Crystal Maze hosted by the cunt from the Saw movies.

When did this happen? Howcome I dont know about it?

son_of_foley
November 21st, 2008, 5:22 AM
Rowan Atkinson did a sketch on that we are most amused thing last week and it was awful

GeezaTap
November 21st, 2008, 6:17 AM
Most of that show was awful beyond John Cleese and Bill Bailey.

You have to wonder as well how fucked-off Robin Williams was that he was billed, yet the 'special mystery guest' they hyped all night just turned out to be Eric Idle.

Should have been the other way about.

son_of_foley
November 21st, 2008, 6:23 AM
John Cleese was shit and I didn't like Bill Bailey. I thought Stephen K Amos was brilliant again

Kris
November 21st, 2008, 6:27 AM
Stephen K Amos is brilliant. His routine on Live at the Apollo was good, especially the bit about waiting for Lenny Henry to die.

son_of_foley
November 21st, 2008, 6:29 AM
My favourite bit of that routine was possibly the travellers cheque bit

ANACONDA GET OVER HERE

OHHHEEE ARE YOU FROM FRANCE?

Simon
November 22nd, 2008, 9:11 AM
Anyone see IT Crowd? Thoughts?

El Capitano Gatisto
November 22nd, 2008, 9:22 AM
I liked it. Especially the heaven/hell bit with Chris Morris and Hitler poking his head around the door. The Hitler part cracked me up.

eldanielfire
November 22nd, 2008, 4:25 PM
Anyone see IT Crowd? Thoughts?

Very good. For some reason, probably because it's a british comedy which isn't offensive or weird TO THE MIDDLE CLASS, it's had a bit of a slagging off but frankly every episode can have you in stiches at some point. All 3 main characters are great and unique and the supporting characters are always brilliant!

Adamy
November 22nd, 2008, 4:54 PM
http://mtv.thehumangiant.com/videos/1583315/216908

son_of_foley
November 22nd, 2008, 5:33 PM
The it crowd got a slagging as the 1st series was odd nothing to do with not being offensive to the middle class.

Ydays episode was brilliant loved how he tested ifthe gun was loaded.

turdpower
November 22nd, 2008, 5:38 PM
Just downloaded all of Time Gentlemen Please.

No idea how good it is, but someone told me it's just like Al Murrays stand up but in a sitcom. So I should like it.

N.E.R.F.
November 22nd, 2008, 6:44 PM
I liked it, it was a bit shit in places but enjoyable.

I've realised that one of my mates looks and acts exactly like Sean Lock. It's unnerving.

Simon
November 22nd, 2008, 7:50 PM

No idea how good it is, but someone told me it's just like Al Murrays stand up but in a sitcom. So I should like it.

It's alright, very low brow though. His standup material is crap, it's only his crowd work being so brilliant that makes him a good standup.

SOF, I'd say it got slagged off mainly because it's Linehan's work but not as good as Father Ted. It's so similar in style though, as is Black Books.

I urge you all to watch The Office (US) and 30 Rock, both are magnificent. Also Screen Wipe on BBC4.

BBF
November 22nd, 2008, 8:04 PM
The Office (US) is actually a fantastic piece of work. Both different and similar to the UK version but still amazingly funny. Dwight is what Gareth could have become and you end up feeling the same empathy towards Pam and Jim as you did Tim and Dawn.

It's actually very underrated over this side of the Atlantic, in my opinion.

eldanielfire
November 22nd, 2008, 8:15 PM
I thi k that is because the first series of the Office was a poor mans Uk version. The it became it's own beast and started being good.

BBF
November 22nd, 2008, 8:42 PM
That's probably a fair assessment. Watching it all again from S01 you can see the huge difference between series one and even series two.

Simon
November 23rd, 2008, 8:17 PM
Outnumbered was on last night, haven't seen the latest episode yet but this little gem of a series needs to be seen by all.

El Capitano Gatisto
November 23rd, 2008, 8:45 PM
Feel the same way about it as I did last week.

Simon
November 24th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Ah come on! It's not hilarious or anything but the kids are brilliant, and it's very well-observed. I think the kids are more scripted in this second series as it happens, but it's no worse for it. Karen's funeral speech was inspired - the opening bit where she confuses it with a wedding, and the final line "because you're worth it" especially - I love how well-characterised they've managed to make this tiny little kid, playing on her own away from the parents all the time and so learning everything she knows from TV soundbites and the like.

Kris
November 24th, 2008, 1:02 PM
I enjoy listening to Armando Ianucci's Charm Offensive on iPlayer.

Simon
November 24th, 2008, 1:15 PM
Is that still going? I stumbled upon an episode unexpectedly in summer, expected it to be great but it was crap. It had Phill Jupitus on it, maybe that was the problem.

I'm sure I've said this before but you should listen to Genius and Heresy if you possibly can, dunno if they're on iPlayer but I have them if you wanted them uploaded - fantastic Radio 4 comedy panel shows. Also, The Unbelievable Truth which is chaired by the boy Mitchell.

Kris
November 24th, 2008, 1:25 PM
Genius is good, but some eps are more miss than hit.

There don't seem to be any charm Offensive eps available atm, but BBC 7 often repeats decent stuff...

firewall
November 24th, 2008, 1:26 PM
The Office (US) is actually a fantastic piece of work. Both different and similar to the UK version but still amazingly funny. Dwight is what Gareth could have become and you end up feeling the same empathy towards Pam and Jim as you did Tim and Dawn.

It's actually very underrated over this side of the Atlantic, in my opinion.

Totally agree.

I love the US Office. Brilliant work and incredibly and sadly underrated (and looked at unfairly, as a rip-off).

The characters give me many more laughs than the UK version ever did, and I've been a Carrell fan for a while...so I think he's awesome in it.

Simon
November 24th, 2008, 1:27 PM
The problem with Genius is that it's so reliant on the guest being good - you don't want them being dull (Carol Vorderman) but nor do you want them to be too insistent on being funny every two seconds. The most entertaining ones are from the older guests - Paul Daniels was a highlight, as was Brian Sewell's. I think Germaine Greer's was good as well IIRC.

Fan of Heresy or The Unbelievable Truth, Kris?

Kris
November 24th, 2008, 1:28 PM
haven't heard either to be honest. upsetting now that I know David Mitchell is involved in the latter.

Simon
November 24th, 2008, 1:33 PM
Sign up to The Box (http://thebox.bz/main.php) and you should be able to download them all.

turdpower
November 24th, 2008, 3:05 PM
How/why the hell did they create 36 episodes of Time Gentlemen Please? It's alright, but it's a little samey.

Kris
November 24th, 2008, 5:09 PM
that's Al Murray the Pub Landlord's audience, laughing through gritted teeth like the dogs they are - Stewart Lee.

El Capitano Gatisto
November 24th, 2008, 5:11 PM
Ah come on! It's not hilarious or anything but the kids are brilliant, and it's very well-observed. I think the kids are more scripted in this second series as it happens, but it's no worse for it. Karen's funeral speech was inspired - the opening bit where she confuses it with a wedding, and the final line "because you're worth it" especially - I love how well-characterised they've managed to make this tiny little kid, playing on her own away from the parents all the time and so learning everything she knows from TV soundbites and the like.

I can't see many of the kids lines being improvised in this series. I didn't see the first series.

I don't know, it's nice and all but it's not very funny most of the time. The little girl's reaction to the dead mouse and the subsequent funeral probably was the funniest bit but there wasn't much else. And like I said, the adult's acting is so normal BBC sitcom that it's off-putting.

son_of_foley
November 25th, 2008, 4:35 AM
Time Gentlemen please was a bit crap I thought but then I really dislike Al Murray

Simon
November 27th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Buzzcocks and 8 Out Of 10 Cats tonight. Corden is on Cats again, I swear that's the third time in this series :wtf:

son_of_foley
November 27th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Im going to the cinema so will watch these ONDEMAND

I steal cable
November 27th, 2008, 1:58 PM
Simon, you should have your white ass in Watford today. My bro goes to college up there and whilst walking through the high street he bumped into this bloke.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j164/I_steal_cable/RICHISGAY2.jpg

is that...... is that Stewart Lee in Watford High Street, what on earth could he want?

Hobbit
November 27th, 2008, 4:57 PM
Mette Lindberg from The Asteroids Galaxy Tour on Buzzcocks tonight :yes:

They are a quality band and everyone should love them.

Also Lee Ryan and Katy Brand. FFS.

Hlebsfall
November 27th, 2008, 5:56 PM
Stewart Lee looks about 70 years old. Or What Ray Liotta would look like if he was down on his luck.

Bad Collin
November 27th, 2008, 6:28 PM

It's only worth seeing for Emma Pierson.

turdpower
November 27th, 2008, 6:35 PM
That's series 2, only just started on that now.

Jay
November 27th, 2008, 6:58 PM
SCREENWIPE back tonight at half 10 BBC4 :hyper:I caught that the other night. I was flicking through the channels and remembered I'd heard something about it on here, so I gave it a go. I was really impressed - the guy who does it is fantastic. The Nescafe bit in particular made me laugh. "Go on, fuck him. Come on, fuck her. Are you two going to fuck or what? Oh fuck off."

Jimmy Carr's new DVD is most definitely worth a download. Some really good stuff on there, and a nice blend of controversial stuff, silly observations and crowd interaction. He's great.

Frankie Boyle's was pretty good as well, but like it's been said already, it was a bit disappointing to hear so much stuff from Mock The Week. Still worth a download though, especially to hear his "interaction" with the crowd. He rips pretty much everyone to pieces. "So how about you? Are you his Dad? Lover? Or are you just grooming him?"

Just downloading Michael McIntyre's now, which I'm really looking forward to. And I've got Russell Howard's, O'Briain's, Bill Bailey's and Lee Evans' new one to get through, as well.

Bad Collin
November 27th, 2008, 7:17 PM
That's series 2, only just started on that now.

Isn't she wonderful?!

Frankie Boyle's was pretty good as well, but like it's been said already, it was a bit disappointing to hear so much stuff from Mock The Week. Still worth a download though, especially to hear his "interaction" with the crowd. He rips pretty much everyone to pieces. "So how about you? Are you his Dad? Lover? Or are you just grooming him?"

Just downloading Michael McIntyre's now, which I'm really looking forward to. And I've got Russell Howard's, O'Briain's, Bill Bailey's and Lee Evans' new one to get through, as well.

I just downloaded Boyle's and Mcintyres, I'm looking forward to giving them a watch.

turdpower
November 27th, 2008, 8:22 PM
She is, I think I like her better now than Hotel Babylon.

viva_la_raza
November 27th, 2008, 8:27 PM
Just finished watching Black Books season one, and am now working my way though different Bailey and Moran DVD's.

I think those two are easily the best UK comedians by far. Another series of Black Books would be awesome.

Just got to the "I would, for instance, fellate a smurf" and nearly choked on my apple. Genius.

Bad Collin
November 27th, 2008, 8:55 PM
Bernard, I ate all your bees.

Clutch
November 27th, 2008, 11:50 PM
The Office US edition makes me laugh like no other. Just a brilliant fucking show.

firewall
November 28th, 2008, 4:04 AM
Agree totally. The (US) Office is bloody brilliant. Nothing on TV makes me smile as much.

son_of_foley
November 28th, 2008, 4:56 AM

She's the one from grange hill yes? I love her.

rickymack
November 28th, 2008, 4:58 AM

Hey, the entire Calender episode is great just for the scene on the pool table.

:heart:

son_of_foley
November 28th, 2008, 5:02 AM
What are you guys talking about I've never been able to watch hotel babylon as its a bit shit.

She was in a sitcom about a vet with one of the guys from armstrong and millar

Bad Collin
November 28th, 2008, 5:44 AM
Time gentlemen please:

http://www.emmapierson.net/wp-content/gallery/emma_pierson/emma_pierson_time_gentlemen.jpg

I love her posh accent as well, she is perfect.

Bad Collin
November 28th, 2008, 5:46 AM
What are you guys talking about I've never been able to watch hotel babylon as its a bit shit.

She was in a sitcom about a vet with one of the guys from armstrong and millar

She was also in an episode of Coupling and apaz she got them out in a BBC drama about Charles II. I haven't seen that however.

son_of_foley
November 28th, 2008, 5:49 AM
I saw time gentlemen please but not this calender episode wasnt sure if it was time gentlemen please or hotel babylon. TURD Up this episode for us all.

I lover her I might go to the bbc shop she is amazingly pert. I actually had a massive crush on her when in grange hill. She's quality

Bad Collin
November 28th, 2008, 5:52 AM
I never watched grange hill so I didn't see her in that, she should be more mainstream by now. Women like that don't come along every day.

turdpower
November 28th, 2008, 5:53 AM
Hey, the entire Calender episode is great just for the scene on the pool table.

:heart:

Where can I see this?

son_of_foley
November 28th, 2008, 5:57 AM
I never watched grange hill so I didn't see her in that, she should be more mainstream by now. Women like that don't come along every day.

Lads,

If she isn't mainstream there's a chance we could end up bagging her when she's old and minging. I'll let my eyes focus weirdly and pretend she is as she is now.

Hurrah

Bad Collin
November 28th, 2008, 6:41 AM
I don't want to wait that long, lets just get a bag of rohypnol.

son_of_foley
November 28th, 2008, 6:43 AM
I'll use my charm and sexy accent. You two, try not to speak.

turdpower
November 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Watch Hotel Babylon SOF, she gets in a bath and everything.

son_of_foley
November 28th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Is it downloadable as other great bbc shows are not. Like ROMANS EMPIRE

turdpower
November 28th, 2008, 12:43 PM
You can probably watch it online somewhere.

Bad Collin
November 28th, 2008, 12:56 PM
You don't see anything in that bath scene though.

turdpower
November 28th, 2008, 1:06 PM
Quiet Collin, I have SOF signed up.

son_of_foley
December 1st, 2008, 8:12 AM
I've seen it before. That bit as I think she goes round and boffs a guest and then makes a joke about it being 5 star.

PS did anyone see the I.T crowd this week? I bloody loved it. SHES NOT MUCH TO LOOK AT BUT SHE IS KIND-HEARTED.

The woman is still remarkably unfunny though. Moss and Roy are getting better and better. I've hurt my neck from doing too much cockney. Loved it.

I steal cable
December 1st, 2008, 8:48 AM
The one thing that wrecks the IT Crowd is the canned laughter. It's just not necessary.

son_of_foley
December 1st, 2008, 9:18 AM
That episode was brilliant thought. I fail to notice the canned laughter on most accounts to be honest.

Bad Collin
December 1st, 2008, 9:20 AM
I have really enjoyed both episodes so far, Moss is classic.

Simon
December 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM
The canned laughter is annoying, the audience laugh hysterically at every gag and it's really intrusive.

I steal cable
December 1st, 2008, 5:11 PM
My bro and a few of his friends went to see Steven k Amos live yesterday. After the show he waited around for his autograph. When Mr Amos came out he just took them to the pub across the way and brought them a few drinks and talked about his tour and stuff. Top bloke.

I did point out to my bro that he liked to have sex with men. He pointed out though that this may be the only opportunity that he'd ever get to have a black gay guy buy him drink and not feel weird about it.

Simon
December 2nd, 2008, 1:49 PM
Did anyone watch Absolute Power when it was on? Stephen Fry show set in a PR firm, apparently it's great - looking for recommendations.

Also, probably aimed more at the Americans/Canadians on here - how good is Freaks And Geeks? The cast list looks great, and I loved the 'sequel' to it, Undeclared. I've read some reviews of it which herald it as an unloved classic - is it that great?

Bad Collin
December 2nd, 2008, 2:45 PM
Absolute power was ok, lots of acting talent involved but the writing was subpar imo. Still anything with Fry in is at least watchable.

turdpower
December 2nd, 2008, 3:05 PM
I thought Kingdom was alright :happysad:

Simon
December 2nd, 2008, 6:20 PM
Screenwipe in ten minutes on BBC4, think it's a comedy special as it is supposed to have an interview with Linehan.

Simon
December 2nd, 2008, 7:53 PM
Well that Screenwipe was odd.

son_of_foley
December 3rd, 2008, 4:49 AM
It was very odd.

The Rogerer
December 3rd, 2008, 2:23 PM
I liked it, you only normally get interviews with actors, or small obligitary snippets of writers, and they are the people that make things happen. It was very interesting; I found Bain and Armstrong just a little creepy, but I suppose that's why they stay behind the camera.

Simon
December 3rd, 2008, 3:12 PM
I found most of the writers pretty weird. Everyone knows Linehan is a weirdo and he didn't disappoint.

Repo
December 4th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Chortle are reviewing a standup dvd every day up till xmas
http://www.chortle.co.uk/dvds/

Tim Vine, Frankie Boyle and Sean Lock have been done already

El Capitano Gatisto
December 4th, 2008, 2:27 PM
I found most of the writers pretty weird. Everyone knows Linehan is a weirdo and he didn't disappoint.

I liked how he said how much he loved the name Pat Mustard. I love that name too. I distinctly remember watching that first time round me and my dad cracking up at the name alone.

Marlon Dingle
December 5th, 2008, 9:48 AM
Buzzcocks was fairly average again, no piss your pants moments, which is dissapointing. Although sexy Keith from We Are Scientists was looking mighty hot last night.

The Rogerer
December 5th, 2008, 2:38 PM
Buzzcocks was fairly average again, no piss your pants moments, which is dissapointing. Welcome to the 21st century friend.

The Rogerer
December 6th, 2008, 7:16 AM
I can't remember if I posted about this before but I went to see Lee Evans on the Big tour. I wasn't looking foward to it, and it was 3 hours of shite. Brilliant.

Kris
December 6th, 2008, 7:22 AM
Lee Evans is shit.

The Rogerer
December 6th, 2008, 7:24 AM
It was shameful though. "Women had loads of stuff in their handbag", "Women take ages when they're getting ready to go out", "Razors have loads of blades now".

Kris
December 6th, 2008, 7:25 AM
Also, Screenwipe wasn't weird this week. It was great.

I steal cable
December 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66c9mJm2Ewk

Only David Mitchell could make a Talk to Frank advert watchable

Kris
December 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM
That is AMAZING.

I steal cable
December 7th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I'm bleeding!

Well done, yes you are

Kris
December 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I picked up the phone....somehow...

I steal cable
December 7th, 2008, 11:34 AM
David Mitchell is a genius.

Gervais winning best comedy actor was a fucking disgrace.

Kris
December 7th, 2008, 11:36 AM
I want to be mates with David Mitchell.

Eggbert Spam
December 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Do you have ads like this over there?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-YjrkBYDDQM

Kris
December 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Similar but they tend towards impact on family sob stories.

They had some pretty rank ones with shit in an artery.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sXAlpHSI-d0

I steal cable
December 7th, 2008, 12:08 PM
the bit where she tries to flick the fatty stuff off her is the worse bit

Simon
December 7th, 2008, 2:22 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oYpHPL1tee8
Kevin Bishop being a total knob at the British Comedy Awards.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9Akb-a80SzY
Kevin Bishop (in the background) being faintly amusing at the British Comedy Awards. The procession of FUCK OFFs made me laugh, especially the raspy one just as George Michael appears on screen.

Simon
December 8th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Apparently it was Corden not Bishop who coated Gervais there.

turdpower
December 8th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Someone post the Alan Davies clip from ages ago :D

Simon
December 8th, 2008, 12:23 PM
What's that?

I have fallen in love with QI recently btw, hated it for ages and thought Alan Davies was an annoying twat but I've really enjoyed getting into it and gradually watching all the old episodes.

Any fans? Best panel show on TV by a mile.

turdpower
December 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Is there a new series of QI, not seen a new one for ages.

turdpower
December 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q42sKMS1M48

Eggbert Spam
December 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM
22nd of December is the next episode of QI, according to epguides.

turdpower
December 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0vbYsI83qQQ&feature=related

Hahahaha.

1_Pablo_Angel
December 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Soon as I press play it says 'this video is no longer available', on both :grumpy:

turdpower
December 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
They both are, just go to the URLS instead.

N.E.R.F.
December 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Just watched the latest QI on iPlayer - I really would give Ronnie Ancona some loving.

Simon
December 8th, 2008, 1:02 PM
Didn't enjoy that episode so much, although Terry Wogan is the champ.

N.E.R.F.
December 8th, 2008, 1:04 PM
Wogan wasn't on it? Ancona/Bremner/Jupitus/Davies

turdpower
December 8th, 2008, 1:09 PM
Wogan was on the CIN episode I think.

Simon
December 8th, 2008, 1:11 PM
Just had a look - that's not the most recent QI. That's from series D, they're now on series F. Only one episode so far though (the Children In Need special with Wogan), but turdy reckons it's back on on the 22nd.

N.E.R.F.
December 8th, 2008, 1:12 PM
It's the most recent on the iPlayer!

Simon
December 8th, 2008, 1:12 PM
Ohhhhhhhh yeah.

Simon
December 9th, 2008, 2:46 PM
Q.I. really is stunningly good at times. I think perhaps my favourite moment is the following...

Fry: What animal's teeth are so long that it only has one facial expression?
Bailey: Janet Street Porter
[Alarm goes off denoting Janet Street Porter as an obvious answer]

Can't find what episode it's from now.

turdpower
December 9th, 2008, 5:12 PM
Doesn't Bill Bailey stand and shout it as well. Asif he himself knows how obvious it is.

Eggbert Spam
December 9th, 2008, 8:20 PM
"Since 1580, when records began, the total number of attacks on humans by sharks has been logged at about 2,200 only, this is equivalent to just 5% of the number of Americans injured by toilets in the year of 1996.

Hmm, I would like to apologise to my mother for using the word toilet, she would prefer if I said lavatory. These latter statics we know exactly according to the official figures; it was in fact 43,687 Americans injured by lavatories."

turdpower
December 9th, 2008, 9:02 PM
Gonna watch Time Trumpet tonight.

I steal cable
December 10th, 2008, 3:20 AM
about fucking time

What's more disgusting? a woman onstage with her organs hanging outside her body with her skin all inside out singing Andrew Lloyd Webber while thousands of people in the audience and at home vomit or, the institution of the monarchy?

Simon
December 12th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Amstell gave Peter Kay a much-overdue battering last night on Buzzcocks, anyone see it?

Marlon Dingle
December 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM
For some reason it wasn't on BBC2 Scotland last night, unless it was on later. Oh well BBC iPlayer after work it is then.

Hobbit
December 12th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Amstell gave Peter Kay a much-overdue battering last night on Buzzcocks, anyone see it?

Yeah it was terrific.

They said it was the last ep of Buzzcocks last night but my guide said 11/13, so I assume they'll be showing the Brand episode and a 'best of' clip show. Really looking forward to the Brand one :yes:

Despite having not really heard about him that much, I thought that Josh Groban took it all very well indeed.

son_of_foley
December 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM
He was bloody funny last night actually

turdpower
December 12th, 2008, 1:41 PM
I don't think the Brand one will ever be shown.

Gangers
December 12th, 2008, 1:54 PM
about fucking time

What's more disgusting? a woman onstage with her organs hanging outside her body with her skin all inside out singing Andrew Lloyd Webber while thousands of people in the audience and at home vomit or, the institution of the monarchy?

I caught that clip about two days ago. I saw a clip of Stewart Lee doing stand up AAAAGES ago and loved it but could never remember the guy's name. It was looking at your post earlier in this thread that reminded me and since then I have been able to enjoy plenty of his slow paced, deliberate, dead pan humour. For that, I will be eternally grateful. Have a rep.

Fanny
December 13th, 2008, 2:29 PM
Your enjoyment of the stories is subjective, but you are absolutely wrong about the animation. I've really never seen a stupider comment around here. The animation is miles better than anything they've done previously, and anything else on TV.

nah it's not

Simon
December 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM
The IT Crowd was great on Friday. All the stuff with the internet was inspired.

son_of_foley
December 15th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I missed it and it's not on on-demand yet

Simon
December 15th, 2008, 11:12 AM
That's weird, it's usually on straight after.

Outnumbered reached new heights on Saturday. Such a great show, a shame you lot aren't watching!

son_of_foley
December 15th, 2008, 11:22 AM
On Demand told me that infact Gordan Ramsey was on at 10pm on friday and comedine with me was on at 9. ANGRY

N.E.R.F.
December 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I missed it and it's not on on-demand yet

I watched it on OnDemand on Saturday morning...

son_of_foley
December 15th, 2008, 12:11 PM
OMG N.E.R.F I am angry. I was looking for it last night. Virgin said ramsey was on at 10 and they had nothing later from Channel 4. I WILL LOOK AGAIN THIS VERY NIGHT. I ended up watching star stories out of boredom

eldanielfire
December 15th, 2008, 2:34 PM
Soon as I press play it says 'this video is no longer available', on both :grumpy:

A refresh normally sorts out that option.

Simon
December 21st, 2008, 6:28 AM
Is it bad that I actually enjoyed an episode of Gavin And Stacey the other night?

El Capitano Gatisto
December 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Gavin and Stacey is a good show. It's bad that you bump your Love, Actually thread every year to talk about how much you love it.

son_of_foley
December 22nd, 2008, 11:13 AM
Yeah that is far worse than Gavin and Stacey which certainly has it's moments.

IT Crowd was good on friday but not as good as rest of the season. I did see the transexual one from last week and it was bloody funny

BBF
December 22nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
Take away the canned laughter and IT Crowd would be AT LEAST 4 times as funny

Kris
December 22nd, 2008, 11:17 AM
Someone should commission that mental puppet show from Screenwipe this week.

son_of_foley
December 22nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
I actually fail to notice it as I said earlier.

Simon
December 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Latest IT Crowd was a bit of a letdown. About to watch new QI though :D

SheltonLondon
December 23rd, 2008, 1:10 PM
Bishop on Law of the Playground when he was talking about the gay lad beating the fuck out of the girl bully is literally one of my biggest laugh out loud moments of the year.

Simon
December 23rd, 2008, 1:24 PM
Which episode is that?

Friday
December 23rd, 2008, 2:05 PM
Bishop on Law of the Playground when he was talking about the gay lad beating the fuck out of the girl bully is literally one of my biggest laugh out loud moments of the year.

Something like that happened at my school. This scrawny little kid was being picked on by a girl bully that seemed to be a couple of years older. The girl kept saying "What are you going to do about it". Well, actually it was more like "Whurrr ya gonna dae aboot it?" The kid just smacked her in the face, which sent her flying to the deck. He just shrugged and walked on. Just thinking about it makes me laugh.

SheltonLondon
December 23rd, 2008, 2:28 PM
Which episode is that?

Not sure, think it might have been the first episode from the current series, or an early one. I remember watching it on Channel 4 about a month and a half ago.

SheltonLondon
December 23rd, 2008, 10:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NjTWvl8x-U

The Butterfield Diet Plan from The Peter Serafinowicz show, which I think is hilarious.

Check out the Christmas special on the BBC iPlayer, think it is the funniest yet. I especially like the Butterfield character on the show but there are some other gems as well.

Think the main series can be a bit hit or miss with some of the sketches and characters but overall is an enjoyable watch.

Kris
December 24th, 2008, 6:05 AM
The christmas special was fucking brilliant.

The estate agent was funny the first time, but it was the repeats of the sketch that ruined that one. OTherwise the whole show was genius.

El Capitano Gatisto
December 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Rab C Nesbitt last night was fantastic.

SheltonLondon
December 24th, 2008, 12:41 PM
The christmas special was fucking brilliant.

The estate agent was funny the first time, but it was the repeats of the sketch that ruined that one. OTherwise the whole show was genius.

My thoughts exactly, when they kept repeating that bit I was getting the vibe of a Catherine Tate-esque sketch which isn't a good thing.

Everything else, as you said, was outstanding.

son_of_foley
January 5th, 2009, 6:28 AM
Right ok I watched Bill Baileys DVD as I was given it by a friend for christmas.

It was pure shit and I will fight anyone who disagrees. He isn't that funny. He also thinks an awful lot of himself intellectually and I'm not quite sure where he has got this idea from.

Ohh also he made the stupidest joke the world has ever known which is people like huimself making fun of footballers FOR JUST KICKING A BALL AROUND bit rich coming from a man who tells shit jokes.

turdpower
January 5th, 2009, 7:06 AM
That last DVD is his worst.

Part Troll is good.

foleybumps
January 5th, 2009, 12:50 PM
You guys should give The Life and Times of Tim a go.

I mentioned it in the Ramble thread and no one responded, but I have to believe some one a with dry sense of humor would generally enjoy it.

son_of_foley
January 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
What is it about you dashing fiend?

foleybumps
January 5th, 2009, 1:12 PM
What is it about you dashing fiend?

Animated (poorly), mid-20's Tim with horrible luck always gets caught in the worst possible situation. Each episode is 12 minutes or so, there were 20 in the first season. I'm praying for a second.

Pretty much every character is great. The Boss and the Priest both surpass this. Especially wonderful episodes include: "Monday Night Confession" and "Mad Dog Tim"

Here's Wiki with not much more to say on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_and_Times_of_Tim

You would definitely love it.

Glen
January 5th, 2009, 1:16 PM
saw Izzard at the Lyric a couple of weeks ago. Still the most intelligent man in comedy. Sublime.

Kris
January 5th, 2009, 1:18 PM
Saw Stewart Lee doing test material for his new tv series last night at the Hen and Chickens.

Very funny.

Simon
January 5th, 2009, 1:33 PM
That last DVD is his worst.

Part Troll is good.

Part Troll is pretty shit as well, everyone seems to love it though. Other than the weirdness value of seeing Kevin Eldon dancing to the hokey cokey in German, it was a bit dull. Bewilderness was pretty good though. His musical stuff is much better than his stand-up.

foleybumps
January 5th, 2009, 1:42 PM
Since I just got Brit-bombed I should mention I've been watching "Coupling" on BBC America and quite enjoying it. Old news but I JUST WANT TO FIT IN.

Also, Jane = :yes:

Bad Collin
January 5th, 2009, 1:46 PM
Coupling is awesome. Jeff makes the show, it went shit when he left.

I bought myself 'A bit of Fry and Laurie' over the Christmas period, classic stuff.

BBF
January 5th, 2009, 1:50 PM
Since I just got Brit-bombed I should mention I've been watching "Coupling" on BBC America and quite enjoying it. Old news but I JUST WANT TO FIT IN.

Also, Jane = :yes:

Coupling is genuinely one of the best (and underated) comedy's we've produced.

But BC was right, it did go downhill after Jeff left.

Simon
January 5th, 2009, 2:04 PM
Coupling is a weird one IMO - at times it was inspired, with a Curb-esque ability to weave plots that all unravel at the end...but at times they tried too hard to develop that element and it was a little bit stupid. The episode with the language differences was spot on.

Another problem was that the three men were funny while the three women were absolutely not.

The Rosk
January 5th, 2009, 2:11 PM
There are probably three or four women who can make me laugh. I hope I am not sexist by saying this.

foleybumps
January 5th, 2009, 2:13 PM
Fuck, I'm having trouble coming up with that many.

Simon
January 5th, 2009, 2:17 PM
There are probably three or four women who can make me laugh. I hope I am not sexist by saying this.

Joan Rivers and Sarah Silverman are the only ones that make me laugh. Maybe there's something inherently funny about Jews. Jo Brand can, on occasion, say something funny but it's drowned in a sea of "I'm so fat/my husband's such a cunt" mediocrity.

Simon
January 5th, 2009, 2:18 PM
The return of Shooting Stars was a little underwhelming, also. The documentary before it was great though.

The Rosk
January 5th, 2009, 2:26 PM
Jessica Stevenson is a witty girl. Whenever I've seen her she genuinely makes me giggle. I am talking about funny on their own, not with a load of amazing shit some bloke has written for her for a shag.

El Capitano Gatisto
January 5th, 2009, 2:37 PM
The return of Shooting Stars was a little underwhelming, also. The documentary before it was great though.

Balls, it was classic. The opening bag of rats bit was genius. George's song was possibly the best ever.

Kris
January 5th, 2009, 2:47 PM
I don't know, 'les jours heureux' was pretty amazing also.

Plus, HIP HOP IS THE BEST.

Simon
January 5th, 2009, 2:47 PM
PEANUTS was the best IMO, but yeah that song was good. I liked the final challenge as well.

turdpower
January 5th, 2009, 8:40 PM
Jeff was fantastic in Coupling.

Guy
January 5th, 2009, 8:44 PM
Yea the new Shooting Stars was pretty decent IMO, as if the show had never been off air at all, and a return to the glory years, before it all went a bit pants with Vegas and that writer guy I forget the name of.

Also whomever was talking about Jessica Stevenson being funny, I agree. I also find her to be very attractive nowadays, the humour maybe helps this though

Gangers
January 5th, 2009, 8:51 PM
Right ok I watched Bill Baileys DVD as I was given it by a friend for christmas.

It was pure shit and I will fight anyone who disagrees. He isn't that funny. He also thinks an awful lot of himself intellectually and I'm not quite sure where he has got this idea from.

Yeah, I find his pure comedy segments to be pretty poor. I find his music stuff tends to be a lot stronger ie his bits on U2, foreign sirens and cockney music's influence on classical music.

Regarding women in comedy, I honestly can't think of a single female comedian I find remotely amusing. The majority of them bog their comedy down in lazy 'look at me being a woman in a man's world' shit which is guaranteed to put me off straight away. Simon mentioned Jo Brand and her entire act seems to consist of reminding people she's a fat troll.

Guy
January 5th, 2009, 9:01 PM
Also that she has periods, and a husband that actually wants to have sex with her.

more the reason I like Jessica Stevenson, shame she's semi-retired, or so it seems

son_of_foley
January 6th, 2009, 5:11 AM
She's not even that funny. They struggle to even get women to be funny on sitcoms.

son_of_foley
January 6th, 2009, 5:18 AM
Animated (poorly), mid-20's Tim with horrible luck always gets caught in the worst possible situation. Each episode is 12 minutes or so, there were 20 in the first season. I'm praying for a second.

Pretty much every character is great. The Boss and the Priest both surpass this. Especially wonderful episodes include: "Monday Night Confession" and "Mad Dog Tim"

Here's Wiki with not much more to say on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Life_and_Times_of_Tim

You would definitely love it.

I will have a look. Thanks

Marlon Dingle
January 6th, 2009, 5:22 AM
more the reason I like Jessica Stevenson, shame she's semi-retired, or so it seems

It's Jessica Hines now. She got married. It's weird how good looking she got after Spaced. She was in some shit sitcom on the BBC, can't remember what it was called, and she is in some shit feature length program called Learners with David Tennant, I seen it advertised the other day.

Funny women I would have to say I can't think of one off the top of my head stand-up wise, but a few of the female cast in Gavin and Stacey pull off some top jokes and make me laugh. Ruth Jones is good in that and Saxondale.

son_of_foley
January 6th, 2009, 5:31 AM
Deb from Everybody loves Raymond is alright

errrrrrr

Simon
January 6th, 2009, 7:31 AM
The best thing about Gavin And Stacey is Gavin's mum, played by Alison Steadman. Great fun.

Kris
January 6th, 2009, 7:36 AM
Plus you'd fuck Joanna Page.

Simon
January 6th, 2009, 7:37 AM
As long as she kept her mouth shut.

Guy
January 6th, 2009, 7:56 AM
It's Jessica Hines now. She got married. It's weird how good looking she got after Spaced. She was in some shit sitcom on the BBC, can't remember what it was called, and she is in some shit feature length program called Learners with David Tennant, I seen it advertised the other day.

Funny women I would have to say I can't think of one off the top of my head stand-up wise, but a few of the female cast in Gavin and Stacey pull off some top jokes and make me laugh. Ruth Jones is good in that and Saxondale.

It's Jessica "Hynes" now :p. And yea it is odd, after getting married and having babies, she got better looking.

She was quite cool on Buzzcocks, I think the reason I appreciate her more so than other comedic women is two-fold:

A) Spaced
B) She doesn't try half as hard as most women to portray any sort of image, and therefore doesn't embaress herself as much.

Simon
January 6th, 2009, 8:03 AM
What do people think of Nighty Night? I've never seen it, having been put off by all the reviews going on about how 'dark' it is...but I've downloaded it and am going to give it a try.

Marlon Dingle
January 6th, 2009, 8:09 AM
The best thing about Gavin And Stacey is Gavin's mum, played by Alison Steadman. Great fun.

Yeah her and his dad, Larry Lamb, who is George Lamb's(Big Brother's Little Brother) dad.

turdpower
January 6th, 2009, 8:25 AM
What do people think of Nighty Night? I've never seen it, having been put off by all the reviews going on about how 'dark' it is...but I've downloaded it and am going to give it a try.

I really liked it.

The second series is shit compared to the first.

Tempest
January 6th, 2009, 8:35 AM
First series of Nighty Night is brilliant. Second less so, but if you like over the top ridiculousness (Where Don's getting a vasectomy so Jill rushes to extract some sperm from him), it's still fun.

Marlon Dingle
January 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Just read this in the paper in my break.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/jan/06/chris-morris-suicide-bombers-film

Morris's suicide-bomber film gets green light

Controversial Brass Eye satirist gets funding from FilmFour for feature that aims to show 'Dad's Army side of terrorism

Chris Morris's feature film debut, a satire about would-be suicide bombers that he said would show the "Dad's Army side of terrorism", has been given the go-ahead, the Independent reports.

FilmFour is funding the project, which has the working title Four Lions and is set to go into production this summer. Production company Warp Films said the film, which should hit cinemas before the end of the year, "understands how terrorism relates to testosterone. It understands jihadis as human beings. And it understands human beings as innately ridiculous."

The news follows a year of delays in which Morris, best known for his work on The Day Today and Brass Eye, battled to secure funding. The BBC reportedly refused to back the project when it was pitched as a television project, purportedly due to the controversial nature of the subject matter. The satirist, who spent three years researching the film by talking to terrorism experts, police, the secret services and imams as well as ordinary Muslims, was at one point reduced to asking fans to contribute £25 each towards the project in return for parts as extras in the film.

A spokeswoman for FilmFour confirmed it was backing the Four Lions project and said Morris had always envisaged it as a feature film rather than a piece for television.

Morris is an enduringly controversial figure. During a 1994 BBC Radio 1 broadcast, he claimed that Conservative MP Michael Heseltine, who had suffered a heart attack the previous year, had died. The 2001 special episode of his Channel 4 spoof current-affairs programme Brass Eye, in which he examined the issue of paedophilia, remains one of the most discussed television programmes of all time. It was condemned by the tabloid press for trivialising the issue, while singer Phil Collins complained after Morris filmed him talking about his hatred of child molesters while wearing a T-shirt and cap backing a fictitious "Nonce Sense" campaign.

turdpower
January 6th, 2009, 12:01 PM
First series of Nighty Night is brilliant. Second less so, but if you like over the top ridiculousness (Where Don's getting a vasectomy so Jill rushes to extract some sperm from him), it's still fun.

When it goes in that granny's dinner, it's fucking amazing.

Kris
January 6th, 2009, 12:08 PM
That is great news about the Morris film...