PDA

View Full Version : Fringe

Mills
September 9th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Apparently this is the heavily hyped show of the new fall season, having been written by JJ Abrams. Is anyone else gving this show a try tonight?

Miotch
September 9th, 2008, 11:06 PM
It's recording but I missed the first 5 minutes. We'll see how it is. I love lost, so I have high hopes.

Mills
September 9th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I'm in that boat too. I'm tivoing it, bu it' being compared to X-Files, one of my favorites and it's being written by Abrams, who made Lost and Alias. It's worth a try I think.

Jimmy Zero
September 9th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I watched it tonight.

It's got potential, but I felt the episode was fairly predictable. In fairness, this was the pilot and those are almost always predictable, so we'll see. It's a pretty cool concept and the people behind it have a decent track record, so I'll stick with it for the first few eps to see how it develops.

RockOverBoston
September 10th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I'd fully intended to watch this, but went out instead. Here's hoping that FOX shows the pilot again reasonably soon.

Psycho Red
September 10th, 2008, 1:17 AM
They're showing an encore edition either Saturday or Sunday, I forget which.

Chad
September 10th, 2008, 1:22 AM
Sunday

mth
September 10th, 2008, 1:03 PM
This thread wasn't here after I watched it last night. Glad it's here now.
I watched it last night with my wife, by accident really. Just flipped on the TV and started watching the first few minutes, and then I realized what it was and decided to check it out. I'm glad I did. I enjoyed it a lot. It definitely had an X-Files vibe to it, which is a plus, as I watched that show a lot back in the day. I'm planning to watch it every week, if I can, as I've never really tried to follow a show from the beginning, really, and don't want to try to start watching a show in the middle of its later seasons.
I thought the pilot was pretty cool. The opening plane scene was fantastic. Josh Jackson's character was a bit annoying at times with the wisecracks (reminding my wife and me of Michael in Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series). I agree that there were some predictable parts, but overall I was pretty well on the edge of my seat most of the time.

Mills
September 10th, 2008, 1:09 PM
I finished watching this show late last night and I must say I was impressed. It was a little predictble, but that's good for a pilot. Hopefully they can keep this show going.

kaiken
September 10th, 2008, 7:26 PM
I don't know whether or not to like it. I found Anna Torv's character the most annoying and just couldn't get over how much I disliked her. Just the way she behaved and everything irritated me. Bah.

Bits
September 10th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I saw this a while ago when the first ep leaked online. Really enjoyed it. I'll definetly be watching the next few eps at least.

It actually reminds me of another show I watch, Eureka, but with a more serious 'real' tone to it.

Matty C
September 12th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I don't know whether or not to like it. I found Anna Torv's character the most annoying and just couldn't get over how much I disliked her. Just the way she behaved and everything irritated me. Bah.

My wife and I found her to be a bit strange as well. Her voice is really odd, as is her speaking delivery.

We still enjoyed it though. I’ve already got it set on the PVR for weekly viewing.

VanillaJello
September 12th, 2008, 1:23 PM
I enjoyed it... definitely got some vibes of LOST from the show as well... just the way the show ended with the music rising to a fever pitch and then the door closes and it just goes silent.

I'll be back for week 2.

Mills
September 12th, 2008, 2:56 PM
I'm excited to see where this show is going. Plus, it gives me something to watch on Tuesdays besides ECW til Damages and Nip/Tuck come back.

Fro
September 14th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I watched the first 40 minutes or so. Just like everything else non-comedic on Fox, it sucked.

Jimmy Zero
September 17th, 2008, 7:32 PM
Anyone else see the second episode last night? I was utterly unimpressed. It reeked of an X-Files ripoff. It wasn't bad, necessarily, it was just blah. I liked the hot blond agent more this week and Pacey still hasn't annoyed me like I thought he would; I do still see potential in the show.

I'll give another watch or two to see if the show gets better and hits some kind of stride, but so far it's really derivative and boring.

mth
September 17th, 2008, 7:35 PM
Apparently the premiere episode airing was a supposedly brilliant simulcast here on CTV, and the actual series is airing on 'A', a channel we don't get unless we have cable, which we can't afford. So, we got hooked by the first episode, and now we can't watch the series as planned, unless we were to go to the hassle of watching it online, not something a husband and wife can easily do together.
So, having said that, I kind of hope the shows goes down the tubes, for selfish reasons, as I don't want to be missing out on something quality.

Miotch
September 17th, 2008, 7:52 PM
Or you could wait for the season 1 DVD....

Miotch
September 17th, 2008, 7:53 PM
Anyone else see the second episode last night? I was utterly unimpressed. It reeked of an X-Files ripoff. It wasn't bad, necessarily, it was just blah. I liked the hot blond agent more this week and Pacey still hasn't annoyed me like I thought he would; I do still see potential in the show.

I'll give another watch or two to see if the show gets better and hits some kind of stride, but so far it's really derivative and boring.

Thought it was good, not great, but it's going to take time to hit its stride and unveil more and more 'secrets' as the show goes along. The premier had the benefit of a couple 'oh shit' moments that we probably won't see again for a bit. It needs to build up to something, which I thought it did a nice job of doing last night.

Hobbit
September 17th, 2008, 7:55 PM
I watched about 50 minutes of the pilot the other night before turning it off.

Thought it was shit and boring :\, not even LANCE REDDICK could save it.

I'll finish it off soon though does it get better in the second half of the ep? IT BEST DO.

Miotch
September 17th, 2008, 8:10 PM
It do.

Hobbit
September 17th, 2008, 8:17 PM
Had me laughing at the start though with that plane. You've got a whole cabin full of diseased people and you're thinking 'christ that looks bad' then someone's JAW FALLS OFF :lol:

mth
September 17th, 2008, 8:22 PM
Or you could wait for the season 1 DVD....

We were hoping to watch it as it airs, 'live' with the rest of the world, so to speak, not wait until the DVD comes out and have avoid spoilers all season and rent the whole dang thing.

virms
September 17th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Pretty easy to download and watch. Anywho, I have tried watching both episode and both times I have watch one I have fallen asleep.

Mills
September 22nd, 2008, 5:46 AM
I watched the last one last night. Pretty solid episode with the whole pancreas thing. I like the X-Files more, but this show could develop into that same style of storytelling.

Hulkamaniac
September 22nd, 2008, 3:46 PM
Is this going to be worth my downloading then or what?

Miotch
September 22nd, 2008, 3:59 PM
I really enjoy it so far, Mik. It's definitely going to build and uncover more of a deeper plot as the show goes along in typical Abrams fashion. I can see why some people don't love it yet, but I thought the first one was stellar and the second show was pretty good. I think it will continually get better.

You and I seem to have pretty similar tastes in television, so I think you should at least give it a shot.

Hulkamaniac
September 22nd, 2008, 4:09 PM
I do rather love Cedric Daniels.

Hobbit
September 22nd, 2008, 7:06 PM
Still not seen the second half of the pilot but the promos on Sky are making me want to finish it off.

I'd love to get told off by Reddick.

Hobbit
September 22nd, 2008, 7:07 PM
Edit - double post fucknv'3iv

Thirteen
September 22nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
I watched the first two episodes. I thought they were good. However, at the same time, I could see it really lose me pretty quickly.

I loved the opening sequence of the first episode, but overall, I enjoyed the show. I like Joshua Jackson, and I like Reddick.

The crazy doctor is a little annoying though.

Mister J
September 25th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I was not impressed with the premiere, however, after the 2nd and 3rd episodes, I'm hooked. It's really found it's rhythm. The main character interaction is great, and I'm really digging the good Doctor. He is the quintessential "Mad Scientist", being both a genius and completely off his rocker. He's great!

For those who haven't checked it out, the best way I can describe it is CSI meets X-Files. A small team of people investigate strange happenings; telepathy, cloning, dream walking, advanced science. These things have been happening with increased frequency, and these occurances have been dubbed "The Pattern". The previously mentioned Doctor pioneered these studies 20 years ago, before being stuck in an asylum for 17 years. His partner at the time went on to form Massive Dynamics, a global organization in science that has become a world superpower. And, surprise, the Pattern seems to have many ties to this company.

It's "Lost-esque" in it's own way. Many things tie together, and I'm assuming the unanswered questions will continue to pile up as answers pop up now and again. Very pleased with it. If you like Lost, it's worth a shot. A bit more bizarre, but definately entertaining.

Hulkamaniac
September 25th, 2008, 3:19 AM
Can I cope with having so many more questions in my head?

Mills
September 25th, 2008, 3:23 AM
I dunno, did you return your video tapes yet?

Miotch
September 25th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Can I cope with having so many more questions in my head?

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. Between Lost, Heroes, and now this, it seems like a lot of the television I watch just jerks me around by a chain. A chain of constant questions and a few answers that are just there to keep me attached.

The Rogerer
April 12th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I just watched Episode 8 of this. Allow me to hide the details so that I don't spoil it:
A boy is in a car crash and comes out of it suddenly able to play the piano very well. He is obsessed with writing one piece of music. He gets kidnapped by people who make him finished the piece of music. The piece of music is actually a formula to make it possible to pass through solid objects. The boy is abducted by hypnotising his father by flashing a green light 3 times followed by a red light.

Of course the invesigation team see another case of a guy who got abducted, who was working on a formula. They decide to turn the formula into a musical score and come up with the same tune the boy was making.

The woman who kidnaps the child is called Joanne Ostler. She faked her own death years ago. Main bloke deduces her alias by working out that Ostler means 'innkeeper' and then searching for Joanne 'name of hotel'. She's named herself Joanne Ritz. My surname means 'Famous spear', should I rename myself to Mr. Javelin if I want to change my identity?

The best bit? The woman who gets the equation says "It's funny to think that a bunch of numbers could make this machine [the one that lets him pass his hand through matter] work". He says "Look around your home, your kitchen. Numbers make everything work." QUESTION: COULD THIS BE A CROSSOVER WITH NUMB3RS? The numbers add up!

I guess someone had to put a brain implant into a child, whilst he was in hospital, that made him able to play piano and work on a piece of music that could be converted into numbers and would provide the formula they needed, but then kidnap him by flashing a red and green light at his father a year later. Surely anyone with the ability to do that could do a bit of a neater job.

The characterisation is also pretty laugable. The main character is such a bad ass, they're always droppin' hints and you know he is not a man to be messed with.

TapOut
April 12th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I just watched Episode 8 of this. Allow me to hide the details so that I don't spoil it:
A boy is in a car crash and comes out of it suddenly able to play the piano very well. He is obsessed with writing one piece of music. He gets kidnapped by people who make him finished the piece of music. The piece of music is actually a formula to make it possible to pass through solid objects. The boy is abducted by hypnotising his father by flashing a green light 3 times followed by a red light.

Of course the invesigation team see another case of a guy who got abducted, who was working on a formula. They decide to turn the formula into a musical score and come up with the same tune the boy was making.

The woman who kidnaps the child is called Joanne Ostler. She faked her own death years ago. Main bloke deduces her alias by working out that Ostler means 'innkeeper' and then searching for Joanne 'name of hotel'. She's named herself Joanne Ritz. My surname means 'Famous spear', should I rename myself to Mr. Javelin if I want to change my identity?

The best bit? The woman who gets the equation says "It's funny to think that a bunch of numbers could make this machine [the one that lets him pass his hand through matter] work". He says "Look around your home, your kitchen. Numbers make everything work." QUESTION: COULD THIS BE A CROSSOVER WITH NUMB3RS? The numbers add up!

I guess someone had to put a brain implant into a child, whilst he was in hospital, that made him able to play piano and work on a piece of music that could be converted into numbers and would provide the formula they needed, but then kidnap him by flashing a red and green light at his father a year later. Surely anyone with the ability to do that could do a bit of a neater fucking job.

The characterisation is also pretty laugable. The main character is [i]such[/i a bad ass, they're always droppin' hints and you know he is not a man to be messed with.

That was the first and last episode of Fringe I have seen. It was good in parts but didn't make me want to see more.

mth
April 13th, 2009, 2:31 AM
I saw the first episode of this and thought ti was good/interesting, but the channel it debuted on here just showed that episode, and the rest of the series was shown on their sister channel, that we don't get. But I heard the second episode, and those that followed, kind of sucked.
So, out of nowhere, the channel that it debuted on here decided to start showing it after all, a few months back, so we caught the episode they started back up with (have no idea how far into the season it was, but they just randomly seemed to pick it up in mid-season), and it was just terrible. All the main characters are hilariously bad.

No desire to watch it at this point, which is a shame, 'cuz the premiere episode seemed to have some promise.

TapOut
April 13th, 2009, 4:34 AM
The way others are perceiving the series is how I looked at the one episode I saw: It started off engrossing and very interesting, then degenerated as the show progressed.

Finlay....
April 13th, 2009, 7:43 AM
I cant stand the main girl in it, Olivia? For that reason it makes it hard to watch.
Walter is probably the best character in my opinion with Joshua Jackson decent enough in the role.

Kind of watch it on and off but some episodes which start off good usually spin into something ridiculous/disappointing.

LOCONUT
September 30th, 2009, 2:27 AM
Never saw this show until this season. They aired the finale from last season a few weeks ago and the first coupe of episodes this season have me rating this show pretty highly. Definitely deserving of the X-Files comparisons and the cast is solid.

I'm enjoying this a lot so far and will probably go out and rent last season.

Hulkamaniac
November 3rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
So, I never bothered watching this at all, but I've read a few things that tell me that it REALLY picked up business at the end of the season. Did any of you follow it all the way through? What did you think?

LOCONUT
November 3rd, 2009, 3:17 PM
Season 1 started off kind of hit or miss, but by the end of season 1 and through the first few episodes of this season the show is really, really good. I'm hooked.

Matty C
November 3rd, 2009, 5:04 PM
I’ve been watching from the start.

I enjoy it thus far. I actually enjoy the one-off episodes that just deal with the weird cases more than anything else but then I was like that with the X-Files as well.

The main storyline has potential but I’m not totally sold that they’ll be able to execute it in a grounded way if that makes any sense. It’s no LOST Mik but it’s been good enough to keep my interest.

My wife absolutely loves it.

Hulkamaniac
November 3rd, 2009, 7:04 PM
I've heard that John Noble (who was excellent as Denethor in Return of the King) is tremendous in this.

The Rogerer
November 3rd, 2009, 7:22 PM
He's totally off the wall wacky. Sponges!

Mills
November 3rd, 2009, 8:04 PM
This show is amazing, anyone who isnt watching it should be ashamed.

Marlon Dingle
November 20th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I've just started watching this. Pretty decent. Only 4 episodes in but it is already picking up.

Marlon Dingle
December 15th, 2009, 4:28 AM
Finished Season 1 One last night. Pretty good stuff. If you can ignore all the bullshit they make up with the science and such and just enjoy it for what it is, it's great. John Noble is the best thing in it, and loved Leonard Nimoy showing up at the end which almost didn't feel like a surprise to me, as if I knew it was going to be him. Whatever.

Anyone watching Season 2? Does it get any better or has it peaked and is now back down to being an average TV show?

thetony
August 3rd, 2010, 9:48 PM
BUMP

New season starting up soon. Who's excited?

and HOW exactly will they get back Olivia from the parallel universe?

virms
August 3rd, 2010, 11:29 PM
She can make it back on her own. She has the ability to do it she just doesn't know how yet. I still quite like the show and just read an article saying FOX loves the show and won't interfere with its progress. They seem to think at some point this show is going to catch fire and be a ratings winner. Wish they would have had the same faith with Futurama and Arrested Development.

Matty C
August 4th, 2010, 9:35 AM
I'm on the fence about this show now. I quite enjoyed it at first but it's moving quickly away from the format that I enjoyed most, which was the simple odd happening and subsequent investigation.

The same thing happened to me with the X Files, although that happened over a span of years and not two seasons.

There is really no going back at this point though as they’ve firmly built this parallel universe/Olivia is a superhero thing so I figure the premise that I enjoyed at the beginning is pretty much all but dead and I’m left wondering whether I like the current premise enough to keep watching. This is a make or break season for me. If my wife wasn’t such a big fan, I think I would have stopped watching last year. Unless things change that alone won’t be enough to keep me watching.

LOCONUT
August 4th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Almost every other episode is in the "old" format though. Even the eps that
were built around the season 2 storyline had a random Fringe event that tied in to the main story somehow. I actually thought they did a really good job of building a continuous storyline into the format of the show.

Matty C
August 4th, 2010, 11:05 AM
You might be right but it didn't feel that way to me. They haven't completely abandoned that format but it’s definitely not the focus and I’m really not feeling the superhero Olivia storyline. Perhaps that’s the bottom line for me, despite the “old” format being used here and there, it still ties in with the larger storyline that I’m just not feeling.

LOCONUT
August 4th, 2010, 11:29 AM
While I think the Olivia/special storyline will probably always linger around, I am fairly sure that it was more about a focus for Season 2. They didn't exactly "tie it up" but there isn't a whole lot left they can do with it that would be consistently engaging. I got the impression that Season 3 will focus a lot more on Peter again and how he deals with his origins and which world he winds up having loyalty towards.

Ozanne
August 7th, 2010, 6:48 AM
I personally love this show, and I hope they move away from the individual event episode. I much prefer my TV series to have arcs, and each episode carries on from the last and means something. If it's an random one off episode with a random event happening then I tend to not enjoy the episode as much.

I'm glad FOX are going to let the show continue and evolve naturally. As I feel the show will grow into something much bigger. I wouldn't be suprised if the paralell universe where they much more technically advanced if aliens came into it. I got that impression in the finale where Peter had the plans for that machine and there was this strange writing written all over it.

Looking forward to season 3 very much.

Bert
May 11th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Fringe is great. And at least it survived the massacre of cancellations that Fox brought down.

I have no idea how they're going to do next season but I can't wait to find out.

Now for some news.

http://www.tv.com/chuck-cheats-death...-again/story/25822.html?tag=hotspot;gumball;1

... Fringe is one of the few Fox shows that hasn't been canceled, and that's good news for Seth Gabel. The actor, who plays "over there" Fringe agent Lincoln Lee, has been promoted to series regular, meaning "over there" is going to play a big part in Season 4. Great news, great addition to the cast. [TV Line]

That's pretty cool. I wonder if it's over here Lincoln (who had a different name didn't he?) Or alternate universe Lincoln. Or maybe both. :eek:

Matty C
May 12th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Nah, he was Linclon Lee in "our" universe as well. I think they'll bring him onto the team in "our" universe. They seemed to hint strongly at that during the episode where that woman couldn't die. I'm cool with that, he's a decent character thus far.

I still need to watch this season's finale... but I'm still watching. That was in question at the start of this season (as seen above).

Bert
September 16th, 2011, 9:59 PM
FRINGE - Where is Peter Bishop?

SERIES?!?! :panic:

I had forgotten how much I loved this show but suddenly remember now. It's going to be a long week.

Bert
April 26th, 2012, 10:18 PM
This show is so great. It's a shame it doesn't get more love on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvWqOZL8JXA

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

virms
April 27th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Fuck yes.

I wish it could go on further.

Funboy
April 27th, 2012, 8:25 AM
Ah its probably the perfect amount.
The writers knowing what they want to do and how long they have to do it in is the way to go: Chuck ended nicely when it knew when the end was near, Lost improved when it heard its end date and I'm expecting glorious things from Breaking Bad.

On the flip side, something like The Office could have done with knowing it was ending sooner, or just ended.

But I am delighted that we get a satisfying unrushed end to this gem of a show!

Bert
August 19th, 2012, 3:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGoRj2-mbfk

:panic:

virms
August 19th, 2012, 7:20 PM
Can't wait. I think it is onky 13 episodes though. Wouldn't even mind a movie to wrap it all up.

Bert
September 24th, 2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM7PblJEu3M

Matty C
September 26th, 2012, 11:09 AM
We gave up last season. It just felt like it was constantly rebooting to me and I wasn't willing to keep up with it. I may revisit things if it's coming to an end though.

Rip
September 26th, 2012, 11:54 AM
We gave up last season. It just felt like it was constantly rebooting to me and I wasn't willing to keep up with it. I may revisit things if it's coming to an end though.

Pretty much that.

virms
January 18th, 2013, 10:27 PM
It all ends tonight. :(

HHHnFoley_Rulez
January 19th, 2013, 2:52 PM
Very sad it's going but I think it had played itself out. I enjoyed the ending, even if it was slightly predictable it was a nice "full circle" feel to complete the show. :yes:

Saying that, the very last shot almost lends itself to a new series... I wonder if they are keeping it open ended just in case?

virms
August 24th, 2013, 9:11 PM
Started rewatching this today and I think, so far, I like it better this time around. John Noble is just such an amazing actor.