PDA

View Full Version : I'm Gonna Ramble On... (Movies/TV/Books version)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Hulkamaniac
August 18th, 2008, 2:36 PM
Bought a few new DVDs

LOTR The Two Towers (theatrical cut).
LOTR Return of the King (theatrical cut...I'm teaching them this year).
Dead Man's Shoes.
Life is Beautiful.
Billy Elliot.
Full Metal Jacket.

Morrison, your points are understandable as observations, all I'm saying is that they dont really stand up as 'complaints', which as you've just explained this last time that they arent really complaints as such. I can certainly understand someone just not liking them. I cant understand anyone not appreciating them, but can definitely see why they just might not be someone's thing and dont need any more explanation than that to find it perfectly reasonable. Same with the book, even though I absolutely love it myself.

Morrison
August 18th, 2008, 2:49 PM
Morrison, your points are understandable as observations, all I'm saying is that they dont really stand up as 'complaints', which as you've just explained this last time that they arent really complaints as such. I can certainly understand someone just not liking them. I cant understand anyone not appreciating them, but can definitely see why they just might not be someone's thing and dont need any more explanation than that to find it perfectly reasonable. Same with the book, even though I absolutely love it myself.

:yes:

With that said, I finally watched Return of the King this morning, and did enjoy it more then the previous two, thanks in part to it being a real battle heavy movie. Peter Jackson summed it up best when he said that the first two films are are made solely so you have a reason to make Return of the King, which is the film everyone wants to see. I still didn't find myself invested in any of the characters, but ended up really digging certain parts, like Aragorn taking the reforged blade of Isildur and heading off into the mountains. He becomes a really strong character after he realizes his potential as king and takes on the burden. Sam managed to not annoy me the entire time he's on screen, which was a nice change of pace. And the coronation ceremony scene was really nice, with the 'my friends, you bow to no one' line being quite awesome. But unfortunately it still suffers for the same reasons I've listed before, though it's definitely balanced by the good. By far my favorite of all three.

Hulkamaniac
August 18th, 2008, 2:58 PM
Do you see how a lot of the 'pay-off' that you were looking for in the other two films takes place in that film though?

Morrison
August 18th, 2008, 3:07 PM
I totally got where you were coming from even before, it's just that there was a bit of crossed wires. But yeah, this film is a lot more satisfying than the previous two, simply because it's the conclusion and by default the most emotional of the three. But I still feel that the first two should've provided me with something. Like any good relationship, there's supposed to be a growth during the progression. But I was left at the starting line at the end of each film, bar the last one.

Bad Obsession
August 18th, 2008, 6:57 PM
I'm watching the remake of Dawn of the Dead on Film4 at the moment and I think that it's probably one of my favourite remakes ever, if not my favourite. It's by no means better than the original, pretty much all of the social commentary is gone and it's not got the same sort of charm to it, but I think as a zombie film it does the whole running gimmick way better than 28 Days/Weeks Later.

It's quite a shame this was a remake of Dawn and not a totally original title. It didn't need to be in a mall and if it was based somewhere else with the same story it would probably be regarded much higher by most horror fans. If you set yourself up for comparisons with the best zombie film, and arguably the best horror film of all time, you're always going to get a tough ride.

Adamy
August 18th, 2008, 9:17 PM
I'm sorry mate, but thats a load of absolute pretentious shit. 'Superficial epic-ness' is meaningless, its a desperate grasp of trying to come up with random justifications instead of simply saying 'its not for me'. Of course, that wouldnt be pseudo-intellectual enough for you, would it.

Regardless of my sesquipedalian tendencies, your defense of the movie consists of calling me pretentious.

I think the two Lord of the Rings moves that I've seen are really, really average. I liked Star Wars, but I guess the epic-fantasy-adventure-whatever genre just isn't for me.

Pete Cash
August 19th, 2008, 1:07 AM
I wouldn't say it is superficial epic, I would say it is at least true to its source. It cuts out some of Tolkiens more indulgent horseshit like Tom Bombadil. I can make the girl I am seeing laugh just by reading that nonsense.

I can understand escapism, and when I was young I did like the fantasy genre, but there is so much good stuff outside that insipid genre that it defies belief.

I mean I am not talking about anyone here, but I know people IN THE REAL WORLD who only read fantasy. Like the story can be wonderful as anything, but unless there is a robot riding a dragon it isn't for them.

So in short, I liked the first lord of the rings, the second was pushing the friendship and the third actually made me vomit at the end of it. It was shite.

Adamy
August 19th, 2008, 2:15 AM
a robot riding a dragon

ahahahahaha

I may get a tattoo of this.

Hulkamaniac
August 19th, 2008, 5:19 AM
Regardless of my sesquipedalian tendencies, your defense of the movie consists of calling me pretentious.

I think the two Lord of the Rings moves that I've seen are really, really average. I liked Star Wars, but I guess the epic-fantasy-adventure-whatever genre just isn't for me.

You dont have a genuine complaint mate. 'Superficial epic-ness' was the best you could come up with, when its obvious to all that you were merely saying that you didnt enjoy the film (an assessment, not a complaint). So why couldnt you simply say that instead of making up bullshit complaints.

I wouldn't say it is superficial epic, I would say it is at least true to its source. It cuts out some of Tolkiens more indulgent horseshit like Tom Bombadil. I can make the girl I am seeing laugh just by reading that nonsense.

I can understand escapism, and when I was young I did like the fantasy genre, but there is so much good stuff outside that insipid genre that it defies belief.

I mean I am not talking about anyone here, but I know people IN THE REAL WORLD who only read fantasy. Like the story can be wonderful as anything, but unless there is a robot riding a dragon it isn't for them.

So in short, I liked the first lord of the rings, the second was pushing the friendship and the third actually made me vomit at the end of it. It was shite.

Yeah, sadly part of liking fantasy (by which I've read maybe a small handful of Fantasy books, most of which are by Tolkien) means that you do tend to get associated with the incredible goons who write fan-fic and read nothing but fantasy. Its irritating when I read and watch other genres much more often.

Mr. Boombastic
August 19th, 2008, 5:47 PM
Not liking the films is fine, I have no problem whatsoever about people not liking them, thats just tastes. I would suggest that you at least finish the story though.

I am also in the group of people that does not care for the LOTR movies and while I understand that you have to "finish the story" to get the whole appreciation that is really the problem with the LOTR films. It is one thing to finish one two hour movie, but after watching the first two movies and not particularly liking them its hard to get enthused to spend another 4 hours watching the last one.

In short, the movies are just too damn long. After wasting 7 hours of my life watching the first two and not really enjoying them, you couldn't make me watch the last one without putting a gun to my head.

Hulkamaniac
August 19th, 2008, 5:56 PM
But the flip side of that is that to the people who like them (which is enough to make it the most successful trilogy in the history of cinema), the films couldnt be long enough.

Tyson
August 19th, 2008, 8:43 PM
I am also in the group of people that does not care for the LOTR movies and while I understand that you have to "finish the story" to get the whole appreciation that is really the problem with the LOTR films. It is one thing to finish one two hour movie, but after watching the first two movies and not particularly liking them its hard to get enthused to spend another 4 hours watching the last one.

In short, the movies are just too damn long. After wasting 7 hours of my life watching the first two and not really enjoying them, you couldn't make me watch the last one without putting a gun to my head.

So you watched the first two and not the actual conclusion of the story? :wtf:

Zen
August 19th, 2008, 8:53 PM
I find if you read the books you get a better sense of appreciation for the films.

Adamy
August 19th, 2008, 10:17 PM
You dont have a genuine complaint mate. 'Superficial epic-ness' was the best you could come up with, when its obvious to all that you were merely saying that you didnt enjoy the film (an assessment, not a complaint). So why couldnt you simply say that instead of making up bullshit complaints.

I see what you're getting at. Thank you for explaining it to me in a way I could understand.

So, I'll just say that I didn't enjoy it because I couldn't get emotionally invested in it, and that's the end of that.

The_Mike
August 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
I thought Fellowship had a very satisfactory ending, to be honest. It really reached a climax with Borromir's death and the breaking of the fellowship, and while there was obviously plenty of the story to go, I think it ended on a sufficiently conclusive note to seem like an ending rather than just randomly stopping because there's got to be three films.

Hulkamaniac
August 20th, 2008, 6:18 AM
I'm not sure. As a fan of the book, I did. But when it came out and I went to watch it I did see a lot of non-book-fans come out wondering why everything wasnt finished, casual movie-goers. Of course, that was fairly unavoidable, they wrapped each segment up as much as they could.

Cactus Lem
August 20th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Was watching the Rescue Dawn Deleted Scenes with the commentary on last night, and it had me wondering, how many people on here actually watch movies with the directors/cast/crew commentaries?

I have to admit I've rarley done it. When I have I haven't watched the film in one run either. It's something I've done when I've had a spare 45 minutes or so before bed, and usually I've watched the film over the course of 2 or 3 nights. I've only ever used the commentary for films I absolutley love, or for Kevin Smith movies, since the commentary is basically a comedy in itself.

So, anyone?

Hulkamaniac
August 20th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I watch a few director commentaries. I weirdly tend to buy more expensive versions of the DVD to get the extras, then rarely watch all that many of the extras anyway.

Morrison
August 20th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Nope, never have. At least not that I can recall. I'll end up watching a film because I want to watch the story and acting. Then I won't want to watch it all over again with running commentary in such a short span of time, especially since I'm not sure if it's going to be consistent or a few soundbites every few minutes, so it sits. And by the time I do want to pick it back up, it's to watch the film itself again. I'll watch all the documentaries and featurettes, but never get around to the commentaries.

Cactus Lem
August 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I watch a few director commentaries. I weirdly tend to buy more expensive versions of the DVD to get the extras, then rarely watch all that many of the extras anyway.

Yeah I find myself doing the same. I have the complete version of something for some reason :dunno:

Prime example would be American Gangster, which I've been meaning to buy for ages, but I just haven't done so since I'm waiting to find the 2 disc edition for a decent price, rather than buying the one disc edition which I know I can get whenever for £5-7 or so.

PurePlayer
August 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I have that movie, and I still haven't gotten a chance to watch it. Maybe I will tonight.

Alf
August 20th, 2008, 2:35 PM
I went through a period where any DVD I bought had to have a director commentry. They are fantastic though. I love them. Especially the ones on the LOTR dvd. I think the godfather set I have contain commentries too.

Hulkamaniac
August 20th, 2008, 3:44 PM
The Godfather director commentaries and Lord of the Rings and Atonement and Children of Men and all films that you really want a good insight into the production process and the directorial intentions (like say...if you're writing an essay on them for example) are brilliant when you watch the Director's Commentary. Particularly if its an interesting and articulate director. Its quite fascinating really.

Beefy
August 20th, 2008, 4:52 PM

Same here. I'm a sucker for the Super Special Collectors Edition, even though I rarely watch the extras nowadays.

I like to have them, though.

Even right now, I'm looking to buy the LOTR films on Play and whilst I could just get the two disk films individually for £4, I'm tempted to buy the super extended 12 disk box set.

Hulkamaniac
August 20th, 2008, 5:03 PM
You dont even like the fucking films.

Beefy
August 20th, 2008, 5:04 PM
I know. It's like a sickness.

Beefy
August 20th, 2008, 5:05 PM
Plus I've been meaning to give them another chance.

Hulkamaniac
August 20th, 2008, 5:14 PM
I've inspired you to try again havent I? Dont hold me responsible when you still dont like them mate.

I'd honestly recommend getting the extended editions and watching them like you'd read a book. Give them maybe 2 weeks, watch them in hour intervals like a TV show.

KorruptJustice
August 22nd, 2008, 12:04 AM
Was watching the Rescue Dawn Deleted Scenes with the commentary on last night, and it had me wondering, how many people on here actually watch movies with the directors/cast/crew commentaries?

I have to admit I've rarley done it. When I have I haven't watched the film in one run either. It's something I've done when I've had a spare 45 minutes or so before bed, and usually I've watched the film over the course of 2 or 3 nights. I've only ever used the commentary for films I absolutley love, or for Kevin Smith movies, since the commentary is basically a comedy in itself.

So, anyone?

I think the commentaries I like best are the ones where it's two or more friends, just talking shit and joking with each other. Besides Kevin Smith movies (probably my favorite commentaries), I listen to Futurama, Scrubs (the early ones, when they actually had cast members doing them), Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and stuff like that, mostly comedy films. One of the few commentaries that I enjoyed that wasn't from a comedy was Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez on From Dusk Till Dawn.

Yeah, I do the same thing. I'm trying to work my way through them now though, but I have so many DVDs right now, and I'm always adding more, that I don't think I'll ever get caught up.

mth
August 22nd, 2008, 2:21 AM
Just watched American Psycho with my wife, making it my third viewing. I'm starting to think it may very close to being my favorite movie, it's just tremendous on many levels, and gets better with each viewing. I've got to try to get around to read the book sometime.

Hulkamaniac
August 22nd, 2008, 5:52 AM
I truly wouldnt bother. If you've seen the movie, you've gotten the best out of the material already.

mth
August 22nd, 2008, 1:15 PM
So, it doesn't really offer anything new, or any further insight into the movie?

Hulkamaniac
August 22nd, 2008, 1:52 PM
The book moves from darkly funny to being fairly horrible. The movie gets the tone just right throughout. The book goes way too far. Its the best adaptation of the book possible considering the book is half good, half shit. Whereas the film is all good.

mth
August 22nd, 2008, 1:56 PM
I just read the wikipedia summary of the book, which sounds a lot like the movie, plus a few things that don't sound like they really add much (additional hallucinations, primarily). Also, at least according to the wiki summary of it he didn't actually murder anyone, it was all in his head. That could just be whomever wrote the article misinterpreting things, though, as I read on imdb that the author said if it was all in his head, it makes the novel pointless.

Hulkamaniac
August 22nd, 2008, 2:14 PM
Dont listen to Wikipedia, trust in Mik.

mth
August 22nd, 2008, 2:20 PM
I definitely value your opinion/knowledge over wiki, for sure.

Locdog07
August 22nd, 2008, 2:31 PM
Just create Mikipedia and be done with it.

Hulkamaniac
August 22nd, 2008, 2:33 PM
Thats a hell of a call mate.

Adamy
August 23rd, 2008, 3:47 PM
So, it doesn't really offer anything new, or any further insight into the movie?

Brett Easton Ellis did write some good books, so I wouldn't discourage you from checking him out if you liked the film. But yeah, what Mik said.

Hulkamaniac
August 29th, 2008, 7:38 PM
How did you find Son of Rambow Mik?

I fucking enjoyed it mate.

Second City Saint
August 29th, 2008, 8:38 PM
I saw American Beauty the other day.

Really enjoyed it as it felt like a dramatic Office Space with added substance. The only knock I have was that the ending came off as being quite obvious.

I thought there was no way the wife pulled the trigger as she had been shown with a gun for a significant amount of time leading up to the murder. I'm under the impression that it was set up for the audience to believe she was the killer. I didn't think any of the kids did it because they were all content when the killing took place. Yeah the friend could've been more embarrassed and hurt than she initially led on but extremely unlikely. That left me with the neighbor as the only suspect. My reasoning came down to: A) he was frustrated by his sexuality, B) he was ashamed at his son's apparent prostitution, C) he definitely had loads of guns, and D) he disappeared from the picture so the audience would 'forget' him. That last one made it clear, especially given the cliff-hanger like exit he made. But, yeah, other than that great film.

Sorry I forgot the names, couldn't be bothered to look them up.

KorruptJustice
August 30th, 2008, 4:22 AM
So, has anyone seen Traitor yet? I'm asking because a friend and I are going to the movies tomorrow, and our choices are The Dark Knight (we've each already seen it twice), Tropic Thunder (we've seen it once), Hamlet 2 (my friend doesn't want to see it, and to me, it looks more like a rental), and Traitor. My friend says that he's heard its supposed to be really good, but I'd never even heard of it up until last night, when I saw a trailer for it. However, I do like Guy Pearce and Don Cheadle, so I'm at least considering it.

Hulkamaniac
August 30th, 2008, 5:13 AM
I saw American Beauty the other day.

Really enjoyed it as it felt like a dramatic Office Space with added substance. The only knock I have was that the ending came off as being quite obvious.

I thought there was no way the wife pulled the trigger as she had been shown with a gun for a significant amount of time leading up to the murder. I'm under the impression that it was set up for the audience to believe she was the killer. I didn't think any of the kids did it because they were all content when the killing took place. Yeah the friend could've been more embarrassed and hurt than she initially led on but extremely unlikely. That left me with the neighbor as the only suspect. My reasoning came down to: A) he was frustrated by his sexuality, B) he was ashamed at his son's apparent prostitution, C) he definitely had loads of guns, and D) he disappeared from the picture so the audience would 'forget' him. That last one made it clear, especially given the cliff-hanger like exit he made. But, yeah, other than that great film.

Sorry I forgot the names, couldn't be bothered to look them up.

The ending wasnt exactly supposed to be a twist or anything. Nothing about that should somehow spoil any of the movie for you.

Ringo
August 30th, 2008, 6:49 AM
I watched Son of Rambow on the plane home from the US. Enjoyed it a lot actually.

Also saw Juno for the first time the other day. It was basically just as I expected. Good, and I am basically in love with Ellen Page, but I'm not sure how well it will hold up, and there were definitely a couple of parts which I found almost cringe worthy. It was nice though, all in all. NICE.

RockOverBoston
September 1st, 2008, 12:45 AM
Brett Easton Ellis did write some good books, so I wouldn't discourage you from checking him out if you liked the film. But yeah, what Mik said.

Avoid "Glamorama", though -- it's written in an even more obnoxious rambling style than "American Psycho", and while certain portions of it are good and pretty entertaining, overall it's really fucking stupid.

Safe to say that won't be the next Ellis novel getting the Hollywood treatment.

Cactus Lem
September 1st, 2008, 8:16 AM
So I watched Casino the other night for the first time in at least five years. I remember originally watching it at a time that I was really getting into film in a serious way, and I've always credited Goodfellas as the film that begun my fascination and love of film. Anyway, I remember being very disappointed when I first watched Casino, just feeling that it was a weaker Goodfellas without the intrigue or allure of the Goodfellas characters. I probably had stupid expectations of the film considering, but after seeing people rate Casino as a better film, and a mate of mine who thinks he knows a thing or two about film (although he really doesn't) ranting on about how it's a better film, I gave it another go.

Have to say I was disappointed again. While I enjoyed the film, it just comes across as Goodfellas light to me, and it annoys me that I can't watch Casino as a film without constantly making comparisons to Goodfellas. Stylistically Casino uses many of the elements and directorial features that Goodfellas used to such brilliant effect, but while freeze frames and narration worked so well in Goodfellas, it never once felt like overkill, here the constant narration, especially during the first hour, just seems to get in the way at times, dragging at certain points. The actual story in Goodfellas suited the narration incredibly well in my mind, it seemed very natural that Henry Hill would tell his story, and we'd sit and watch and listen his story un-fold. With Casino I just got the feeling that one of the vital elements that made Goodfellas so great was used in order to try and make Casino a great movie, which made it seem almost forced.

The actual relationship between Pesci and De Niro was a strange one as well. They never at any point seemed like great friends, although the film makes out that they were, but we hardly see anything of the two in Chicago, whereas with Goodfellas, when the relationships start to fall apart, in a strange way you feel for the characters and believe in the friendships since they were established and capitalized upon in an effective manner. The same feeling just didn't translate here.

Sharon Stone's performance here is also massively overrated if you ask me. She just came across like a weaker Lorraine Bracco, and I didn't think Stone's shouty/screamy parts were at all convincing, seeming instead like an attempt to say I can shout and scream and get acclaim.

I could probably go on, but I'll leave it here in asking, how can anyone put this film next to Goodfellas or other great gangster movies?

Jimmy Zero
September 1st, 2008, 9:13 AM
I've never been all that fond of Casino. It's alright, but it's not anything special.

It's certainly no Goodfellas.

PurePlayer
September 1st, 2008, 9:40 AM
Originally Posted by Jimmy Zero
It's certainly no Goodfellas.

Maybe that's the problem? Just rate the film as it is and don't compare it to one of the best films ever made. Your rating of the film should have nothing to do with Goofellas because it's not suppose to.

RockOverBoston
September 1st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Except, you know, Goodfellas and Casino is an extremely obvious comparison since they're both film adaptations of true stories about different branches of the mob, both films were directed by Scorsese, and De Niro and Pesci are lead actors in both films, which is why, you know, there have been literally hundreds if not thousands of direct comparisons made between the two films.

"Casino" was the truer-to-the-book of the two, for whatever that's worth.

N.E.R.F.
September 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
Hellboy 2 is utter utter shit.

Cactus Lem
September 1st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Maybe that's the problem? Just rate the film as it is and don't compare it to one of the best films ever made. Your rating of the film should have nothing to do with Goofellas because it's not suppose to.

When you watch Return of the Jedi do you ever compare it to the other Star Wars films?

It's basically the same case with Goodfellas and Casino. They aren't direcnetly linked, but you can see that Scorsese, Pileggi and the cast involved were after a loose form of a sequel.

Except, you know, Goodfellas and Casino is an extremely obvious comparison since they're both film adaptations of true stories about different branches of the mob, both films were directed by Scorsese, and De Niro and Pesci are lead actors in both films, which is why, you know, there have been literally hundreds if not thousands of direct comparisons made between the two films.

Don't forget to mention the same writer as well.

Also ROB, you'll be able to help me with this, just looking at Pileggi's IMDB, and he's slated as a Producer and Writer on a film descirbed as being about "The story of the infamous Boston College Basketball Point Shaving Case."

What on earth is that?

RockOverBoston
September 1st, 2008, 2:03 PM
Alright, shouldn't surprise you to realize that the mafia are huge players in sports gambling in the states, and at times will go to any and all possible lengths to fix games. A bit too frequently, money-starved collegiate players will be bribed to ensure that their teams don't win games by enough points to cover the spread. Such was the case with the 1978-79 BC Eagles, only this story is even more interesting than your normal "mob corrupts the otherwise good kid(s)" story that you've seen before.

The Perla brothers were small-time mob players in Pittsburgh. Rick Kuhn, a childhood friend of theirs, was entering his senior year at BC and was one of their best if not their best player. The Perlas dreamed up a small-scale point shaving scheme that snowballed so much, it wound up in the lap of Henry Hill and Jimmy the Gent and wound up, due to an early mishap and heavy Mob money being at stake, involving the majority of the BC team due to the insane (by college kid standards) payouts (in both cash and coke) that they were all able to recieve and, you know, the threats of bone breakage and whatnot.

All of the involved players would have gotten away with the scheme if Henry Hill hadn't turned snitch after the Lufthansa bust.

This ought to make for a good movie.

Cactus Lem
September 1st, 2008, 2:24 PM
Yeah the ingredients for an awesome film are right there that's for sure. I can't really remember Goodfellas or what I read of Wiseguy mentioning that scam, interesting stuff though. Thanks for the rundown.

RockOverBoston
September 1st, 2008, 2:33 PM
It's a really good book -- in fact, there are several really good books about that whole scandal.

Zen
September 1st, 2008, 2:58 PM
"The Franchise" is a really good book along the same lines and premise as all of that.

The Mob, fixing games, fixing the Super Bowl...

PurePlayer
September 1st, 2008, 6:50 PM

That doesn't freaking mean that Casino should get a lower rating because it's not as good as Goodfellas. Of course there is a comparison, but lowering a movie because it isn't as good as another is not right. It was like the people who faulted the Departed for not being Scorsese's best film.

Cactus Lem
September 1st, 2008, 6:58 PM
That doesn't freaking mean that Casino should get a lower rating because it's not as good as Goodfellas. Of course there is a comparison, but lowering a movie because it isn't as good as another is not right. It was like the people who faulted the Departed for not being Scorsese's best film.

Know one is doing that though......

PurePlayer
September 1st, 2008, 7:05 PM
If you never saw Goodfellas, would your rating of Casino be any different?

Cactus Lem
September 1st, 2008, 7:09 PM
If you never saw Goodfellas, would your rating of Casino be any different?

That's a trick question, as I'd be thinking that a lot of the directorial techniques that Scorsese uses in the film are fresh and innovative as I wouldn't have seen them used in Goodfellas to better effect.

Purley as a story though, no I'm sure I wouldn't rate it any higher.

PurePlayer
September 1st, 2008, 7:11 PM
Fair enough.

RockOverBoston
September 2nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
I see what you're doing here, Lem, and it's fucking hilarious.

That doesn't freaking mean that Casino should get a lower rating because it's not as good as Goodfellas.

Uh, Jimmy Zero said that it's no "Goodfellas", meaning absolutely nothing more than of the two movies, he prefered "Goodfellas" to "Casino", as most people do.

Of course there is a comparison, but lowering a movie because it isn't as good as another is not right.

And there's been no evidence of anyone doing anything of the sort, so what exactly are you even talking about here?

It was like the people who faulted the Departed for not being Scorsese's best film.

Yeah, you know who seemed to disagree with those people enough to render their opinions unimportant? The Academy Awards voters, and besides which, what the fuck does The Departed have to do with Goodfellas being a better movie than Casino, the only point that anyone's made here, anyway?

Your suppose too bee making cents hear.

PurePlayer
September 2nd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by RockOverBoston
I see what you're doing here, Lem, and it's fucking hilarious.

I don't think Lem is doing anything actually.

Hulkamaniac
September 2nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
A couple of people have said that they had higher expectations of Casino because of Goodfellas and were disappointed because it didnt live up to the expectations set by that film. This is silly and almost always ends up hurting a good film. Casino is a solid and bloody good film, the only way it is a disappointing film whatsoever is if you go into the film expecting something as good as Goodfellas, which very few films are.

RockOverBoston
September 2nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
I also find that the stories, despite having several major common threads, are in all actuality quite different from one another.

Cactus Lem
September 2nd, 2008, 5:54 PM
I went to see Elite Squad on Sunday night, really interesting film, set in the Rio favellas. The best way to describe it would be to call it City of God from the perspective of the police, and the military police, which is just absolutley brutal with it's casual use of extreme violence. Very right wing film.

Anyway, I'm looking at the IMDB Boards for the film yesterday, and came across one of the most shocking threads I've ever come across. The film was funded and prduced by Weinstein Company, anyway, someone posted a newsbit saying that the Weinsteins considered changing the character pov for the US release, giving the film a re-cut. This leads to a thread full of complete idiots ranting on about how "MIRAMAX SUK", completley oblivious to the fact the Weinsteins left Miramax what 2/3 years ago?

TapOut
September 2nd, 2008, 6:36 PM
Not really sure it deserves its own thread, but the voiceover guy, Don LaFontaine, who did probably thousands of movie trailers and commercials died at 68.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2008/09/02/2008-09-02_remembering_movie_trailer_voice_don_lafo.html

Jimmy Zero
September 3rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
Any body seen this new Raising the Bar deal on TNT?

What a wad of shit! It's got Zack Morris as a self righteous lawyer and the mom from Malcolm in the Middle as some cunt self righteous judge. This is maybe the worst show I've ever seen.

It's mainly just people sighing and dismissively waving their arms at people.

RockOverBoston
September 3rd, 2008, 12:04 AM
I think even People Magazine gave that show a bad review.

If your program, movie, album or book is getting torn to shreds by People fucking Magazine, which overglorifies the mediocre and ignores things that are, you know, any good, you've produced a shitty product.

Jimmy Zero
September 3rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
Even the editing is bad, and it's a fucking tv show. How do you edit a fucking tv show to look like a car commercial?

The only redeeming quality of the show is the blond chick that's fucking Zack Morris, and just happens to be the prosecutor on all his cases.

Why does Zack Morris always look like he's going to cry? I don't remember him looking like a coked out romance novel cover boy on NYPD Blue.

RockOverBoston
September 3rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
Zack Morris always looks like he's going to cry because somehow, despite seemingly impossible odds, A.C. Slater became the bigger star.

Jimmy Zero
September 3rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah, but Slater is a triple threat. He can act, he's got that awesome jerry curl, and he can DANCE!

Slater's not the only one who got bigger than Zack. I'd say Jesse and Screech are both bigger than him, too. In fact, I'd say Jesse Spano will be the most famous person from that show forever.

RockOverBoston
September 3rd, 2008, 12:17 AM
Jesse did "Showgirls" and a bunch of bit roles, and Screech did a whole shitload of reality TV and some porn...I'd think that a run on "NYPD Blue" trumps all of that. Hell, a run on "90210" trumps all of that, so Kelly > Jesse and Screech.

Also, since when can Slater act?

Jimmy Zero
September 3rd, 2008, 12:39 AM
When people think NYPD Blue, they think of Sipowicz and when they think of 90210 they think of Dylan, Brenda and maybe Donna.

When people think of Saved by the Bell, they think of Screech porn and Showgirls.

And don't be jealous of Slater: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p61mD558egA

RockOverBoston
September 3rd, 2008, 12:42 AM
When I think of 90210, I think of Brandon, Brenda, Kelly, Dylan...and Valerie Fucking Malone.

I also think of Aaron Spelling firing Hilary Swank because he didn't think she could act.

I absolutely, positively watched new 90210 tonight, and I'm not even a little bit ashamed of that. It's got Mama Bluth from Arrested Development, and she's a Goddamned riot.

Jimmy Zero
September 3rd, 2008, 12:44 AM
David Silver spending 7 years trying to fuck Donna, too.

RockOverBoston
September 3rd, 2008, 12:47 AM
Seven fucking years.

To fuck Tori fucking Spelling.

Who, according to at least one source, is a better actress than Hilary fucking Swank.

Egad, man.

BIGFEETS
September 4th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Not really sure it deserves its own thread, but the voiceover guy, Don LaFontaine, who did probably thousands of movie trailers and commercials died at 68.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/2008/09/02/2008-09-02_remembering_movie_trailer_voice_don_lafo.html

Yeah, I told my coworkers about it as well.

I don't think people will truly realize it until they start hearing new voices for trailers.

Morrison
September 4th, 2008, 1:06 AM
Except the new voice will probably just be an imitation of the old voice, so I doubt anybody will really notice.

Hulkamaniac
September 4th, 2008, 1:18 PM
Besides, there's at least 5 'movie guy' voices and they are all virtually just as recogniseable. So it'd be hard to know which one his was when compared to the other ones.

turdpower
September 5th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Probably only people in the UK will know who I'm talking about here:

Lenny Henry may be the most untalented and unfunny person to ever step in front of a television camera. So how the hell does he keep getting programmes to host? Plus, I believe his latest is looking at funny clips from the Internet - a format which was already cliche before he did it.

I have to say, the last time I saw Lenny Henry on TV, apart from the comfort INN ads, was his own show about 3 years ago.

It's not like he's Jimmy Carr or Graham Norton getting all the gigs.

I realise you made this comment months ago, but I think my point still stands.

thetony
September 6th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Is there a "Big Love" thread around these parts? The search function doesn't seem to be working for me right now. Interesting concept to the show, and it sparked my attention after seeing the commercial for the first time. Three wives ... what else could you want?

RockOverBoston
September 6th, 2008, 12:37 PM
If there's not a thread, there probably ought to be. Good fucking show which gets progressively better -- the second season was absolutely fantastic.

thetony
September 6th, 2008, 1:04 PM
Haven't gotten to the second season yet. A friend said the 2nd season lacked something the first had. I'll have to check it out myself.

p.s Niki's a BITCH. And Margie is as sweet as peas.

cherry malotte
September 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I hate having to wait to January for the next season of BL - Harry Dean Stanton and Chloe Sevigny make the show for me. Maybe the problem with the second season was that there were a couple of directions that some plot characters and sub plots meandered off into, but it was still good.

Alf
September 8th, 2008, 8:20 PM
Over the last week I've watched the extended editions of LOTR again for the first time in a long, long time.

Whilst they are masterpieces... there are things that stop them from being truly, truly astonishing, soul shaking films.

The continuity between shots is absolutely shocking for a major motion picture. There are so many instances of things occuring in one shot (such as the Mouth Of Sauron getting killed) that do not match up with the next shot (such as Aragorn and the gang riding away from the gate and there being no body where a body should be) and things like Frodo falling into the spiders web, then the next shot he is about 3 foot off the ground...

That's poor. I appreciate that they must have shot a fucking lot of film... but that's why you hire continuity people. It's just sloppy.

Also, a fair few of the action sequences have been poorly edited. Boromir charges forward to save the Hobbits at the end of FOTR and quite clearly goes to swing his sword... next shot he is suddenly swordless and grabs the orcs axe.

During the battle of the pelenor Legolas is supposedly firing arrows and counting up his kills, but you can quite clearly see that he isn't drawing back the bow and it appears as if he is lightly punching the orcs in the face... it's actually quite funny.

Another example of poor editing is in the charge of the Rohirrim at the battle of the pelenor. When it starts it's so stilted. You can clearly see the horses go and then stop, it looks like an outtake...

Mr Jackson also has a boner for slaughtering the goodies, yeah, we want a balanced battle, but for fuck sake give us some glory... Battle Of Helms deep... they've just blown up the wall, GImili jumps into the gap for some bizarre reason... Aragorn orders the Elves to fire then orders and awesome charge... they charge... the next 15 shots are of Elves running headfirst into spears. Rubbish. We want to see the Elves charge and unleash some fury.

Some of the story choices are plain strange too... I just don't understand the need to tie Arwen's fate to the ring in the first half of RotK and then not mention it again... very odd. The whole treatment of the paths of the dead and army of the dead thing is a bit odd too... it is such a deus ex machina and it didn't need it at all. I don't get why he changed all that when in the book it was perfectly cinematic.

Don't get me started on Sam's speech at the end of Two Towers...

And Sauron the lighthouse...

Fucking hell...

Hulkamaniac
September 9th, 2008, 3:19 AM
I'm starting watching and teaching all three of them today as part of the film element of my GCSE coursework.

Alf
September 9th, 2008, 4:54 AM
Keep your eyes out for, and maybe point out, the bad continuity editing.

Hulkamaniac
September 9th, 2008, 7:39 AM
I dont want to. In fairness, most of the stuff you mention is resolved by the Special Extended Editions. Sadly they had to simply butcher the films at points in order to get a worthwhile theatrical edition out of them.

Alf
September 9th, 2008, 9:34 AM
I'm talking about the special editions.

Seriously mate, keep your eyes peeled and you'll know exactly what I mean.

Hulkamaniac
September 26th, 2008, 4:38 PM
Bought 'The Fall'.

Cactus Lem
September 27th, 2008, 1:38 PM
In the week I bought

Punch-Drunk Love
Network
A Guide to Recognising Your Saints
Superbad
McCabe and Mrs Miller
New York Stories

Watched Network last night, and I'm not exageratting when I say that I think it's one of the finest films I've ever seen. I really can't find anything that I'd fault about the film. Perfectly acted by one of the greatest ensemble casts ever, with the dramatic acting right on cue. Usually I'm not one to jump on dramatic shouty sequences, but such segments worked perfectly well here, as they where explained and worked to incredibly well. Faye Dunaway was especiall great with such segments, and Peter Finch's portrayal of Howard Beale was outstanding, gradually becoming crazier throughout the film.

The satire that creeps into the film works incredibly well, showing how the top TV execs are heartless, obsessed loons who don't even hesitate when it comes to killing a man.

I'd also go as far to say that Sidney Lumet is one of my favourite directors now as well. He really does know how to get the best out of his actors, seen here to awesome effect, but also quite evident in Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico. While the films mentioned are often spoken about, Lumet rarley seems to actually come up when the great directors of the 70's are mentioned, when really his catalogue for the decade is arguably as impressive as Coppola, Scorsese, Friedken, Altman and Ashby, and quite easily tops that of Lucas, Bogdanovich and De Palma.

Murphy
September 27th, 2008, 1:53 PM
I remember seeing the start of Punch-Drunk Love. Very bizarre.

I've always wanted to see the film though.

Cactus Lem
September 27th, 2008, 2:02 PM

Watched it the other night, awesome film. Really good fun, and made me feel really good. Sandler is excellent, playing an un-confident and paranoid loaner who's completley uncomftorbale in his own skin. Some really awesome character discover throughout the film.

Paul Thomas Anderson also does a great job as per usual.

Bluemoon
September 27th, 2008, 4:10 PM
Liam Neeson's Taken has grabbed my attention to go and watch tomorrow maybe. Can't go wrong with Maggie Grace neither :yes:

Ringo
September 27th, 2008, 4:14 PM
Punch Drunk Love is great. One of those films which catches you off-guard at first but gradually grows on you. Lovely little film.

Cactus Lem
September 27th, 2008, 4:16 PM
Liam Neeson's Taken has grabbed my attention to go and watch tomorrow maybe. Can't go wrong with Maggie Grace neither :yes:

I think that looks complete shit. The reviews have also been awful.

I think I'm gonna check out Appaloosa tomorow. Cracking cast, and Ed Harris (who's a favourite actor of mine), behind the camera should prove interesting.

Bluemoon
September 27th, 2008, 4:38 PM
I have not really checked out the reviews to be honest, I just like the look of of it from the trailers.

Hulkamaniac
September 27th, 2008, 6:43 PM
It looks, and apparently IS utter shit.

mth
September 28th, 2008, 1:45 AM

You definitely should. It's a really nice movie. It's the best Sandler flick I've seen.

Hobbit
September 28th, 2008, 6:33 AM
I watched Jindabyne last night. Maybe the most depressing little film in the world. Was alright, Gabriel Bryne was amazing as usual but yeah it just left me feeling a bit down. Looked fucking superb though.

KorruptJustice
September 28th, 2008, 7:29 AM
Went a little crazy on buying DVDs yesterday. Picked up:

M
Shoot 'Em Up
Children of Men
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Chasing Amy
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Big Sleep

thetony
September 28th, 2008, 11:04 AM
If you haven't seen 'Snatch' yet, I highly recommend it.:yes: Especially after watching Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

KorruptJustice
September 28th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I actually saw Snatch back-to-back with LS&TSB thanks to Netflix about a month ago. I definitely enjoyed it, but I enjoyed LS&TSB more. Snatch is definitely on the list of movies I plan on picking up though.

PurePlayer
September 28th, 2008, 2:56 PM
I couldn't get into the first half of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels. I can't put my finger as to why either. I would definitely put Snatch well above it.

N.E.R.F.
September 28th, 2008, 3:31 PM
Should I watch:

American Gangster
Last King of Scotland
Jesse James

tonight? Bought all three a while ago and today is the first time I;ve had a chance to sit down and watch any.

Hulkamaniac
September 28th, 2008, 4:52 PM
I'd start with Last King of Scotland.

Slare
September 28th, 2008, 5:27 PM
American Gangster. Absolutely brilliant film. Not taking anythign away from Last King of Scotland, but American Gangster deserves a watching before the other two.

Hulkamaniac
September 28th, 2008, 5:37 PM
Why would you listen to that gimp?

Slare
September 28th, 2008, 5:39 PM
Excellent counterpoint.

N.E.R.F.
September 28th, 2008, 6:13 PM
Too late anyway. Bedtime now, will watch LKOS tomorrow I reckon.

Chris Scott
September 28th, 2008, 7:09 PM

Went to watch it last night, It's rubbish.

son_of_foley
September 29th, 2008, 5:10 AM
Last King of Scotland is better than American Gangster. Great performances all round. I actually found American Gangster a little forgettable now. I enjoyed it at the time but it is missing something to make me want to watch it again or remember it to recomend it to people.

N.E.R.F.
September 29th, 2008, 4:57 PM
Croupier starts in five mins on C4, UK peeps. CLIVE.

Beefy
September 29th, 2008, 5:01 PM
Has anyone else got literally dozens of DVDs that they have never watched?

I'm just interested to see if anyone else just buys films in Tesco or on Play because they are cheap and will look nice in their collection rather than because they actually want to see the film. I mean, when am I going to watch Jaws, for fucks sake?

Hulkamaniac
September 29th, 2008, 5:16 PM
I'd say that I have over 100 dvds that I've never watched. Perhaps closing in on 200.

Cactus Lem
September 29th, 2008, 6:48 PM
I'd say that I have over 100 dvds that I've never watched. Perhaps closing in on 200.

How many DVD's do you actually have?

Hulkamaniac
September 29th, 2008, 6:58 PM
About 400 I think. I'd say that theres about a third I havent gotten around to watching yet.

KorruptJustice
September 30th, 2008, 7:19 AM
I have about 250 DVDs. There's probably about 10 that I've never seen at all, and just picked up because I want to see them and have just never gotten around to it, but I probably have another 25-30 DVDs where I have seen the movie before, but I've never actually watched the DVD that I bought.

Hulkamaniac
September 30th, 2008, 8:07 AM
Yeah, see I tend to buy a DVD that I fancy seeing instead of renting it, and my local cinema is shit so there is a lot comes out I want to see that I dont get to see at the cinema. Hence how I end up with so many I havent seen. I might go and count them actually.

Hulkamaniac
September 30th, 2008, 8:15 AM
Counted, 121.

Murphy
September 30th, 2008, 9:52 AM
I have a silly amount of DVD’s and a lot of those are still in their packaging. I have the following waiting to be watched:

The Godfather Trilogy :$
The Last King of Scotland
Ghostbusters 1 and 2
Predator 1 and 2. Though I have seen the 1st one.
Babel
The Thin Red Line
A Perfect Storm
The Krays
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Die Hard 4

And I’m sure there are many more.

In fact, I have so many DVD’s that the unit literally came off the wall the other week. Then again, that’s probably because modern properties are made of cardboard.

I steal cable
September 30th, 2008, 10:14 AM
So you ain't watched the The Godfather, pffffft big deal. If I were you I'd be more embarrassed about not seeing Predator 2.

Shame on you

Ringo
September 30th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Fuck renting a DVD, even if it's a new film. You can usually buy a copy a few months down the line for only a few quid anyway, and it's another one in the collection as well.

son_of_foley
September 30th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I have a fair few that I havent watched like

Scarface
Singing in the Rain
One flew over the cuckoos nest

Total cost about £6

I will watch them all eventually but Im never quite in the right mood.

Jimmy Zero
September 30th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Scarface is gay. Just watch the last half hour and you're fine.

And Singing in the Rain? Are you 70?

Murphy
September 30th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I have One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest as well. Haven’t seen it, but I was at a friends house the other week and he spun through the film, watching his favourite parts. Idiot.

Scarface is one of my favourites. I have a poster of it in my hallway. :D

I steal cable
September 30th, 2008, 10:58 AM
s_o_f don't listen to Jimmy Nero.

Singin' in da Rain is the dog bollocks. Watch it when you're drunk and dance along, not that I do that, never.

PurePlayer
September 30th, 2008, 1:05 PM
I have One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest as well. Haven’t seen it, but I was at a friends house the other week and he spun through the film, watching his favourite parts. Idiot.

Scarface is one of my favourites. I have a poster of it in my hallway. :D

You should watch it soon. It really is a great film.

Canadian Devil
September 30th, 2008, 1:54 PM
Fuck renting a DVD, even if it's a new film. You can usually buy a copy a few months down the line for only a few quid anyway, and it's another one in the collection as well.

My thoughts exactly, if i can wait the 3-4 months for it to come out on dvd rather then see it in the theatres i can wait another few months to drop down to something slightly above rental price.

Anyone have that one move that they always wanna get but always put it back so they can get it "later". My current "I'll get it another time" is Mad Max. Love the movie and want to own it but never seem to be in the right mood to buy it.

Cactus Lem
September 30th, 2008, 3:09 PM

Yeah renting just seem's pointless to me these days.

I said this while at a mates house the other day, and was mocked, I really didn't understand why :wtf:

"Well you only watch a film once don't ya."

"No, I've watched plenty of my collection of 300 or so DVD's twice."

"Why d'ya want that many DVD's?"

"Cause I'm a big film fan."

"Costs loadsa money though, may as well rent."

"URGHHHHHHH" :mad:

Was basically how that conversation went.

Hulkamaniac
September 30th, 2008, 4:20 PM
Scarface is gay. Just watch the last half hour and you're fine.

And Singing in the Rain? Are you 70?

On that Empire's big 500 greatest films of all time Singin' in the Rain came in 3rd.

Jimmy Zero
September 30th, 2008, 4:49 PM
LOL, that pretty funny.

Hulkamaniac
September 30th, 2008, 5:02 PM
Its incredibly strange. I do love the film, but that was quite a shock.

Bits
September 30th, 2008, 11:30 PM
So over the last few weeks I've been rewatching Angel. I bloody love this show, I was thinking of doing a similar thing with Buffy but honestly the more I think back on Buffy the more I think I probably won't like it upon rewatching, I definetly know I like Angel way more than I ever did Buffy.

Anyway I'm not well into Season 5 but I've come across a problem, in that I've turned into a huge pussy. The next episode I have to watch is Freds last episode. I only vaguely recall the actual story of this episode but I distinctly remember it breaking my heart the first couple of times I've seen it. It's kinda weird I seem to be thinking 'If I watch this episode, Fred is going to die' and somehow by not watching it she'll be nice and safe, snuggled up with Wesley. Anyone else ever felt like this when rewatching a TV show or movie or reading a book? Just not wanting to upset yourself when you know what's coming.

Anyway another thing I wanted to say was Season 4 of Angel is fucking fantastic, I adore it. When it properly kicks into the Season wide arc a few episodes in and each episode leads into another, it's just pure brilliance.

Marlon Dingle
October 1st, 2008, 5:07 AM
DVD is dead.

Long live Blu-Ray.

Guy
October 1st, 2008, 5:52 AM
Not quite mate, not until every home has a HD-TV in each room, along with a Blu-Ray player and the Blu-Ray disks themselves come down to the same prices DVD's are now.

Plus not being able to buy versions such as the uncut version of Die Hard 4 on Blu-Ray, means DVD aren't dead quite yet.

Tis only a matter of time though

Andy
October 1st, 2008, 6:10 AM
The Color of Money was on the other night. What a bloody fantastic film.

I steal cable
October 1st, 2008, 2:20 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7646463.stm

Jude Law to play Dr Watson.

Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes is shaping up pretty nicely.

Cactus Lem
October 1st, 2008, 2:24 PM
Urghhh, I hate Jude Law.

Guy
October 1st, 2008, 2:25 PM
Yea, my interest in that project just fell through completely

Cactus Lem
October 1st, 2008, 2:33 PM
My interest died when I heard Jason Statham was rumoured as Watson. Looks like Ritchie's gone and got someone equally as bad in my book.

Well, I dunno if I'd say Law is as awful as Statham, but if I was to make a most hated actoes list, both would make the top 10 I'd say.

Guy
October 1st, 2008, 2:44 PM
I didn't believe the Statham rumours, but at least if it was Statham, he'd be interesting.

Cactus Lem
October 1st, 2008, 3:55 PM
I didn't believe the Statham rumours, but at least if it was Statham, he'd be interesting.

Statham, interesting? Really?

In what way exactly?

Beefy
October 1st, 2008, 4:07 PM

Counted, 121.

I've just counted mine. I've got 120 titles (including several TV boxsets which I counted as just one) which I haven't watched yet. You've made me feel much better though, Mik. I thought I was some freak for buying without watching.

My count also doesn't include the complete James Bond Collection which I bought at lunch today when I'd gone out solely to buy a shirt for friday....

PurePlayer
October 1st, 2008, 4:11 PM

In what way exactly?

I liked Statham is both Snatch and LS&2SB. I wouldn't have minded it had he been cast as Watson.

Guy
October 1st, 2008, 5:09 PM

In what way exactly?

As PurePlayer says he was decent in LS&TSB and Snatch. And quite amusing in Crank.

I'm not saying the guy has any sort of acting ability, but he does have a decent dry sense of humour

Cactus Lem
October 1st, 2008, 5:30 PM
I liked Statham is both Snatch and LS&2SB. I wouldn't have minded it had he been cast as Watson.

The role is totally different though......

Have you seen him in anything else? He's awful.

Jimmy Zero
October 1st, 2008, 5:34 PM
Bitch, you trippin'!

The Transporter movies are sweet as hell.

Cactus Lem
October 1st, 2008, 5:36 PM
Bitch, you trippin'!

The Transporter movies are sweet as hell.

I'm all for a good bit of over the top action and cheesy acting, I'm a massive Schwarzenegger fan for example, but The Transporter 2 wasn't even good in a bad way (haven't seen the first).

Complete joke of a film if you ask me, seemed to miss the humour ad the charm for what it seemed like it was trying to be.

Mills
October 1st, 2008, 5:55 PM
the first half of Transporter is excellent, once the girl mentions that there are Asians in the container, it's all downhill from there.

PurePlayer
October 1st, 2008, 9:09 PM
I actually liked Crank. I thought it was a very entertaining and fast paced 80 minute film.

Hulkamaniac
October 2nd, 2008, 3:22 AM
So over the last few weeks I've been rewatching Angel. I bloody love this show, I was thinking of doing a similar thing with Buffy but honestly the more I think back on Buffy the more I think I probably won't like it upon rewatching, I definetly know I like Angel way more than I ever did Buffy.

Anyway I'm not well into Season 5 but I've come across a problem, in that I've turned into a huge pussy. The next episode I have to watch is Freds last episode. I only vaguely recall the actual story of this episode but I distinctly remember it breaking my heart the first couple of times I've seen it. It's kinda weird I seem to be thinking 'If I watch this episode, Fred is going to die' and somehow by not watching it she'll be nice and safe, snuggled up with Wesley. Anyone else ever felt like this when rewatching a TV show or movie or reading a book? Just not wanting to upset yourself when you know what's coming.

Anyway another thing I wanted to say was Season 4 of Angel is fucking fantastic, I adore it. When it properly kicks into the Season wide arc a few episodes in and each episode leads into another, it's just pure brilliance.

I know how you feel in regards to that particular show. Some episodes of season 5 with Wesley grieving over Fred's death are some of the most heartbreaking scenes that I've seen from a television show. It was very cleverly and sensitively done.

DVD is dead.

Long live Blu-Ray.

It'll take so long for Blu-Ray to create the back catalogue that DVD have already built that Blu-Ray will be superseeded itself before it kills off DVD. This isnt like video, all that Blue-Ray offers is a bit better quality and more space within the same sized packaging. There'll never be a reason for either of them to become extinct over the other.

The Color of Money was on the other night. What a bloody fantastic film.

Its a cracking film, but The Hustler is 10 times more impressive. I wish that Marty had paid greater homage to it with Color of Money, more references to who Fast Eddie was and what happened to him since. I wish that they'd had time to make a third film in the trilogy too.

Urghhh, I hate Jude Law.

Yea, my interest in that project just fell through completely

My interest died when I heard Jason Statham was rumoured as Watson. Looks like Ritchie's gone and got someone equally as bad in my book.

Well, I dunno if I'd say Law is as awful as Statham, but if I was to make a most hated actoes list, both would make the top 10 I'd say.

Baffling baffling baffling, when did this ridiculous backlash against Jude Law start? Seems to me that its more about his personal life than his acting skills, cos acting wise he's one of the best actors we have in this country. Look at some of the performances on his filmography:

Road to Perdition.
The Aviator.
Gattaca.
Enemy at the Gates.
Closer.
Cold Mountain.
The Talented Mr. Ripley.
A.I.
I Heart Huckabees.
Wilde.

There are very few actors of his generation with better filmographies, so anyone who is comparing him to Jason Statham in terms of 'bad acting chops' needs to get a bit of realism about them and get their head out of 'Heat Magazine'.

I've just counted mine. I've got 120 titles (including several TV boxsets which I counted as just one) which I haven't watched yet. You've made me feel much better though, Mik. I thought I was some freak for buying without watching.

My count also doesn't include the complete James Bond Collection which I bought at lunch today when I'd gone out solely to buy a shirt for friday....

I'm going to buy more and not watch them just to pull into safety away from you.

How many do you own that you HAVE watched? Cos if your 120 outbalanaces that, thats pretty bad.

Cactus Lem
October 2nd, 2008, 4:55 AM
Baffling baffling baffling, when did this ridiculous backlash against Jude Law start? Seems to me that its more about his personal life than his acting skills, cos acting wise he's one of the best actors we have in this country. Look at some of the performances on his filmography:

Road to Perdition.
The Aviator.
Gattaca.
Enemy at the Gates.
Closer.
Cold Mountain.
The Talented Mr. Ripley.
A.I.
I Heart Huckabees.
Wilde.

There are very few actors of his generation with better filmographies, so anyone who is comparing him to Jason Statham in terms of 'bad acting chops' needs to get a bit of realism about them and get their head out of 'Heat Magazine'.

:lol: I'm the last person to dislike someone due to the press that they recieve from gossip magazines.

I genuinley just can't stand the guy as an actor, I don't find him overly natural in anything he does, and therefore just become annoyed by him. Take Love, Honor and Obey for example, talk about an awkward fit, he's utter shit at trying to fit in as rough London type and often ruins key scenes.

AI is another movie that I couldn't stand him in, as his character took me out of the film completley.

What I saw of Alfie was just painful. Complete lack of charm, and whereas Michael Caine made the character interesting, but at the same time dislikable and symapthetic, Law did nothing for me to invest or become interested in his character, all I can remember is his annoying smile.

I did like him in Gattaca though, he did a very good job in showing how he'd basically given up on life and no longer had any hope or will to live, easily the most I've enjoyed him.

Enemy at the Gates was solid as well from what I remember.

I'll be honest and admit to not having seen Road to Perdition, which I hear is good, and I'm put off Closer due to the presence of both Law and Julia Roberts, who I also don't like.

Hulkamaniac
October 2nd, 2008, 5:03 AM
So what you're saying is that you disliked him in all his worst films, liked him in good ones you've seen and havent seen him in the best ones...Yet rather than admitting ignorance you've simply decided to derride him?

Watch Closer, Road to Perdition, Cold Mountain and The Talented Mr. Ripley. Still think that he's a bad actor then fair enough, at the moment its the equivalent of someone seeing De Niro's work from the past decade and then telling everyone how shit an actor he is.

Vice
October 2nd, 2008, 5:11 AM
Jude Law was the absolute perfect choice for the character in Closer. I honestly can't think of someone better for that role.

I'm not a huge fan of Julia Roberts either, but again she was a good pick and I didn't mind her at all. Plus, it could very well be Clive Owen's best performance and a very good performance from Natalie Portman as well.

son_of_foley
October 2nd, 2008, 5:21 AM
Don't be silly. Crank is awesome.

Guy
October 2nd, 2008, 5:42 AM

Road to Perdition.
The Aviator.
Gattaca.
Enemy at the Gates.
Closer.
Cold Mountain.
The Talented Mr. Ripley.
A.I.
I Heart Huckabees.
Wilde.

Yea I too have no idea about the guys personal life, why, what is it he's done that was so bad? Just out of curiosity?

I wasn't comparing him to Jason Statham in terms of acting quality, I was just saying that Statham has a more entertaining presence for me over Jude Bore, whether it be intentional or unintentional, he always brings a bit of humour with him in his one man role that would entertain me more than Jude Law.

It would take some sort of super bore to get me to not be interested in RDJ as Serlock Holmes

Watch Closer, Road to Perdition, Cold Mountain and The Talented Mr. Ripley. Still think that he's a bad actor then fair enough, at the moment its the equivalent of someone seeing De Niro's work from the past decade and then telling everyone how shit an actor he is.

:lol: didn't we go through that on once?

Don't be silly. Crank is awesome.
Crank was great

Cactus Lem
October 2nd, 2008, 6:28 AM
So what you're saying is that you disliked him in all his worst films, liked him in good ones you've seen and havent seen him in the best ones...Yet rather than admitting ignorance you've simply decided to derride him?

No its not ignorance, its being subjected to films that he's shite in, and therefore forming a poor opinion of him. Anyway, you mention AI as one of his better films in your original post, and Love, Honour and Obey is hardly a poor film either, he just doesnt fit in with the rest of the cast, and stands out as the films worst actor.

Can you not understand that after seeing someone in so many poor roles, you aren't really going to take a liking to them?

I will watch Closer and Road to Perdition at some point, been meaning to watch Road to Perdition for a long time actually, Cold Mountain though I just don't fancy since I'm not a fan of the three leads.

And also, your De Niro point is stretching it just a bit Mik. Law's got what 14 years of films behind him, De Niro's got 45 or so. Law's been inconsistent, while De Niro's just had a bad decade. It's far more likely that you can make a few poor film choices when watching Law's work, and choose his dodgy roles, whereas with De Niro if you've just seen his work from the current decade, you're a bit stupid.

Alf
October 2nd, 2008, 7:58 AM
I think Law was good in Cold Mountian but apart from that I've not seen many dimensions to his acting. Jude Law is vanilla.

He's nowhere near as good as Tom Cruise... and I mean that... I'm not even kidding.

I steal cable
October 2nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
I've never seen Cold Mountain cause of Renée Zellweger.

I've always rated Jude Law after watching The Talented Mr Ripley. I personally think he is great in I Heart Huckabees as well but I think everything about that film is amazing.

son_of_foley
October 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Tom Cruise is brill. It's annoying you can't tell people that without them crying about scientology. I literally couldnt give a shit what he believes in

Alf
October 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
The Cruise is a fantastic actor. Truly fantastic.

Marlon Dingle
October 2nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
Agreed.

Minority Report is all I have to say for Tom Cruise. The guy is exceptional. Who gives a fuck if he thinks we managed to escaped to earth after some giant alien war.

Alf
October 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
He is exquisite in Magnolia.

son_of_foley
October 2nd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Last Samurai for me chaps.

Bits
October 2nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Beat me to it SOF. Love that film.

I know how you feel in regards to that particular show. Some episodes of season 5 with Wesley grieving over Fred's death are some of the most heartbreaking scenes that I've seen from a television show. It was very cleverly and sensitively done.

Illyria was a stroke of genius I thought, she's very much not Fred but having her still be around while everyone (Wesley especially) is trying to mourn Fred just makes it all the more upsetting.

Still haven't got round to watching that ep yet, will do shortly though, if only to get to the bloody fantastic Finale to the show which I still maintain is some of the best pay off a television show has ever managed.

PurePlayer
October 2nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
He is exquisite in Magnolia.

I just got that movie from Netflix. I am really excited to see it. I have only heard good things about this film.

I steal cable
October 2nd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Last Samurai for me chaps.

that film has to be the biggest pile of wank ever

son_of_foley
October 2nd, 2008, 12:14 PM
I will punch you in your crooked face.

Beefy
October 2nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
I'm going to buy more and not watch them just to pull into safety away from you.

How many do you own that you HAVE watched? Cos if your 120 outbalanaces that, thats pretty bad.

Nah, it doesn't. I've got just under 400 DVDs. Or just over 400 if the Bond Collection counts as 21 titles.

Hulkamaniac
October 2nd, 2008, 1:09 PM
Jude Law was the absolute perfect choice for the character in Closer. I honestly can't think of someone better for that role.

I'm not a huge fan of Julia Roberts either, but again she was a good pick and I didn't mind her at all. Plus, it could very well be Clive Owen's best performance and a very good performance from Natalie Portman as well.

No doubt, definitely Owen's best performance.

Yea I too have no idea about the guys personal life, why, what is it he's done that was so bad? Just out of curiosity?

I wasn't comparing him to Jason Statham in terms of acting quality, I was just saying that Statham has a more entertaining presence for me over Jude Bore, whether it be intentional or unintentional, he always brings a bit of humour with him in his one man role that would entertain me more than Jude Law.

It would take some sort of super bore to get me to not be interested in RDJ as Serlock Holmes

:lol: didn't we go through that on once?

Lifewise, he's just known as being a bit of a serial love rat. I was responding to the fact that people have suggested that Law is somehow a poor actor, like Statham. Whereas he quite blatantly isnt. He's a critically successful awards worthy actor for a reason.

Did I win the debate about De Niro?

No its not ignorance, its being subjected to films that he's shite in, and therefore forming a poor opinion of him. Anyway, you mention AI as one of his better films in your original post, and Love, Honour and Obey is hardly a poor film either, he just doesnt fit in with the rest of the cast, and stands out as the films worst actor.

Can you not understand that after seeing someone in so many poor roles, you aren't really going to take a liking to them?

I will watch Closer and Road to Perdition at some point, been meaning to watch Road to Perdition for a long time actually, Cold Mountain though I just don't fancy since I'm not a fan of the three leads.

And also, your De Niro point is stretching it just a bit Mik. Law's got what 14 years of films behind him, De Niro's got 45 or so. Law's been inconsistent, while De Niro's just had a bad decade. It's far more likely that you can make a few poor film choices when watching Law's work, and choose his dodgy roles, whereas with De Niro if you've just seen his work from the current decade, you're a bit stupid.

Suggesting that someone is a bad actor based on only their bad films (and a big ONE of their good ones) IS ignorance. His good films outweighs his bad ones, which is perhaps soon becoming more than you can say for De Niro. Thus its a worthwhile comparison. You havent seen him in 'so many poor roles', you've seen him in a few. Hardly fair to write someone off because you arent adequately informed on him.

Nah, it doesn't. I've got just under 400 DVDs. Or just over 400 if the Bond Collection counts as 21 titles.

Course they do.

Cactus Lem
October 2nd, 2008, 1:26 PM
Suggesting that someone is a bad actor based on only their bad films (and a big ONE of their good ones) IS ignorance. His good films outweighs his bad ones, which is perhaps soon becoming more than you can say for De Niro. Thus its a worthwhile comparison. You havent seen him in 'so many poor roles', you've seen him in a few. Hardly fair to write someone off because you arent adequately informed on him.

But at the same time can you not understand that I'm not in the slightest bothered about seeing any more of him after the decent sized portion that I've seen?

At the same time as not digging the roles I think that you can still spot whether you like someone as an actor or not, and Law just doesn't convince me that he's got something. He generally comes across as bland and one dimensional, and lends no significant indication or sign of supreme talent that tells me he's going to be worth watching in anything else.

The only bad De Niro films I can honestly think of off the top of my head are The Untouchables, City Under Sea, Analyze This/That, Godsend, Showtime and Hide and Seek. Over a 45 year career that ain't half bad. So I really don't think your good/bad point stands very strong here. Also consider the number of memorable roles and how diverse an actor Law is to De Niro as well, and it seems almost easy to let De Niro off for having a dodgy patch.

Hulkamaniac
October 2nd, 2008, 1:29 PM
COS YOU'VE ONLY SEEN HIS BAD FILMS. Try ones that people consider to be good and see whether you feel the same. I can watch 20 poor De Niro films (cant believe that you cant name more, seriously!?), clearly doesnt mean that I've seen all there is to him as an actor.

Guy
October 2nd, 2008, 1:39 PM
Did I win the debate about De Niro?

I think we agreed to disagree and I wasn't going to comment on De Niro again until I'd seen a few more De Niro movies or something.

I can't remember because he's boring...

Cactus Lem
October 2nd, 2008, 1:43 PM
COS YOU'VE ONLY SEEN HIS BAD FILMS.

But I haven't though....

AI isn't really considered to be a bad film.

Love, Honor and Obey is an interesting piece of film that works very well.

Enemy of the Gates was good, and Law didn't particualry impress or dissapoint he was just there.....

Plus you listed his 5 minutes in The Aviator in your original post, which to be fair is fine for what it is, but again not much different from what I've already seen of the guy.

So no I haven't just seen his bad films.....

Also, those De Niro films are the only bad films of his that immediatley spring to mind, looking through his IMDB now I can identify a couple more that I've seen, and to be fair there are a few that I haven't seen that don't look particularly good.

Really though, De Niro's done so much as an actor, and put in so many great performances, that his bad films are mostly going to be excused when he's spoken of.

Hulkamaniac
October 2nd, 2008, 1:43 PM
De Niro is boring?!

Hulkamaniac
October 2nd, 2008, 1:46 PM
But I haven't though....

AI isn't really considered to be a bad film.

Love, Honor and Obey is an interesting piece of film that works very well.

Enemy of the Gates was good, and Law didn't particualry impress or dissapoint he was just there.....

Plus you listed his 5 minutes in The Aviator in your original post, which to be fair is fine for what it is, but again not much different from what I've already seen of the guy.

So know I haven't just seen his bad films.....

AI is considered by MANY to be a bad film. I just happen not to be one of them.

Love, Honour and Obey is a shit film, one of his worst.

So you've seen one of his okay films, one of his decent films, one of which you didnt even mind...thats it.

His best four films and performances:

Road to Perdition.
Closer.
The Talented Mr. Ripley.
Cold Mountain.

You've seen none of them.

Guy
October 2nd, 2008, 1:56 PM
De Niro is boring?!

:lol:

Just winding you up mate.

....though he is a bit

Cactus Lem
October 2nd, 2008, 2:00 PM
AI is considered by MANY to be a bad film. I just happen not to be one of them.

Love, Honour and Obey is a shit film, one of his worst.

So you've seen one of his okay films, one of his decent films, one of which you didnt even mind...thats it.

His best four films and performances:

Road to Perdition.
Closer.
The Talented Mr. Ripley.
Cold Mountain.

You've seen none of them.

What don't you like about Love, Honour and Obey?

Add Alfie to the list as a bad film as well, which I hated him in.

And of those good performances you've listed I've been totally put off by what I've seen of his previous work. Surley you can see why someone would be put off?

I've always meant to give Road to Perdition a try, but like I've said, a dislike for previous Law work amongst other factors has put me off Closer (which I will watch) and Cold Mountain.

When you've previously disliked someone you aren't usually going to go out of your way to see anything else that they've done. You used the De Niro example, but come on, how many roles of De Niro's are viewed as legendary essential film viewing? Plenty. How many of Law's roles are put across as must see? None. So what are the chances that someone is going to see a selection of bad De Niro movies, but still be willing to give the guy a go in Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Mean Streets etc due to legendary status those movies and De Niro carry? Quite high. What are the chances that someone is going to watch Law put in a poor performance or a solid performance and want to go out of their way to see him again? Kinda low.

Hulkamaniac
October 2nd, 2008, 2:11 PM
When you've ONLY seen the bad work someone has done and none of the good work, you're not going to like them or appreciate them properly either. Nor are you anywhere near fully informed enough to make a qualified judgement of their acting abilities.

Cactus Lem
October 2nd, 2008, 2:21 PM
When you've ONLY seen the bad work someone has done and none of the good work, you're not going to like them or appreciate them properly either. Nor are you anywhere near fully informed enough to make a qualified judgement of their acting abilities.

I haven't really tried to put across a qualified judgement though. I've stated what I've seen and stated my opinion of each film and performance individually. I've admitted and stated that I haven't seen what you feel are his better films, and I can accept that he may be a lot better in those films. Yeah I don't like what I've seen, but I haven't tried putting across a "qualified judgement" at any point really.

Hulkamaniac
October 2nd, 2008, 4:00 PM
You've claimed that he is a horrible actor. Not that you dont like him or you dont appreciate him, but that he IS a bad actor.

Cactus Lem
October 2nd, 2008, 6:42 PM
You've claimed that he is a horrible actor. Not that you dont like him or you dont appreciate him, but that he IS a bad actor.

Reading back through my posts, I didn't once properly claim that he is a horrible actor.

I said this originally..... "My interest died when I heard Jason Statham was rumoured as Watson. Looks like Ritchie's gone and got someone equally as bad in my book."

But then I retorted in the same post after realising I was going a bit over the top, in saying....

"Well, I dunno if I'd say Law is as awful as Statham, but if I was to make a most hated actors list, both would make the top 10 I'd say."

That isn't saying he's a horrible actor, that's saying I don't like the guy as an actor. For example I don't like George Clooney, but he'd also make that top 10 I speak of, but I by no means think he's a bad actor.

Jimmy Zero
October 2nd, 2008, 7:21 PM
A.I. was fucking crap.

KorruptJustice
October 3rd, 2008, 12:24 AM
Yeah, see I tend to buy a DVD that I fancy seeing instead of renting it, and my local cinema is shit so there is a lot comes out I want to see that I dont get to see at the cinema. Hence how I end up with so many I havent seen. I might go and count them actually.

Yeah, I used to do that, but then I ended up buying a few that I hated and had to sell off to a friend, and then I got Netflix, so anything I'm curious to see just gets thrown on that list, and if I like it enough, then I'll buy it.

About Jude Law playing Dr. Watson, I'm not so sure I like that decision. Nothing against Jude Law, as I think he's a good actor, I just don't think he's right for the role. Hopefully I'm wrong, though, as I'm really looking forward to seeing a new Sherlock Holmes movie.

Hulkamaniac
October 3rd, 2008, 3:41 AM
Reading back through my posts, I didn't once properly claim that he is a horrible actor.

I said this originally..... "My interest died when I heard Jason Statham was rumoured as Watson. Looks like Ritchie's gone and got someone equally as bad in my book."

But then I retorted in the same post after realising I was going a bit over the top, in saying....

"Well, I dunno if I'd say Law is as awful as Statham, but if I was to make a most hated actors list, both would make the top 10 I'd say."

That isn't saying he's a horrible actor, that's saying I don't like the guy as an actor. For example I don't like George Clooney, but he'd also make that top 10 I speak of, but I by no means think he's a bad actor.

I think that comparing Law as and actor to Statham as an actor is a fairly good indication of exactly what you were trying to say. Dont start hiding behind split hairs now.

I steal cable
October 3rd, 2008, 3:51 AM
About Jude Law playing Dr. Watson, I'm not so sure I like that decision. Nothing against Jude Law, as I think he's a good actor, I just don't think he's right for the role. Hopefully I'm wrong, though, as I'm really looking forward to seeing a new Sherlock Holmes movie.

This Sherlock Holmes is going to be like none others made before so only time will tell if casting Jude Law was a big fuck up or not.

A few of my mates don't think he's right for the role cause he ain't some old fat bloke with a moustache :wtf:

Marlon Dingle
October 3rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Watched A Clockwork Orange last night. Its always a film that when I watch it, I spend the whole of the following day thinking about it.. I think this is the only Kubrick film I love. I like the shining and 2001, I dont care how good the special effect were and how you try to explain it to me, I just will never understand it. Even like making my own explanation up confuses me.

Mik can you explain 2001?

Hulkamaniac
October 3rd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Having not seen it, no.

Jimmy Zero
October 3rd, 2008, 4:45 PM
Watched A Clockwork Orange last night. Its always a film that when I watch it, I spend the whole of the following day thinking about it.. I think this is the only Kubrick film I love. I like the shining and 2001, I dont care how good the special effect were and how you try to explain it to me, I just will never understand it. Even like making my own explanation up confuses me.

Mik can you explain 2001?

2001 is basically the same message as Terminator, but artsy.

Hulkamaniac
October 4th, 2008, 8:24 AM
Incedibly exciting news:

Paramount Pictures has set Steve Zaillian to adapt “I Heard You Paint Houses,” the book about the mob assassin who many believe was involved in the death of Teamster boss Jimmy Hoffa. Martin Scorsese is attached to direct the film which will reunite him with longtime collaborator Robert De Niro, will play Frank “the Irishman” Sheeran. The film will be produced by Scorsese and Tribeca partners De Niro and Jane Rosenthal. The project landed at Paramount through the overall deal that the studio has with Scorsese’s Sikelia Prods, reports Variety. The film’s title refers to mob slang for contract killings, and the resulting blood splatter on walls and floors. The book was written by Charles Brandt, who befriended Sheeran shortly before the latter’s death in 2003. Among the crimes Sheeran confessed to Brandt, according to the 2004 book, was the killing and dismemberment of Hoffa, carried out on orders from mob boss Russell Bufalino.

Zen
October 5th, 2008, 1:26 PM
I'm talking about the special editions.

Seriously mate, keep your eyes peeled and you'll know exactly what I mean.

The continuity between shots is the only thing that irked me as well..I used to always go on about where the hell the body went after Aragorn beheaded the Mouth of Sauron. Not only that, but they were on horses..what happened to the horses when they were surrounded right before Aragorn made his last "for Frodo" speech??

Other then that, the film was brilliant.

Hulkamaniac
October 5th, 2008, 2:14 PM
Having been watching and studying these films again, Alf is absolutely right.

In a way, its very lucky that Del Toro is directing the new Tolkien film, as he is truly a master of the craft.

son_of_foley
October 6th, 2008, 6:54 AM
Lads you will all be delighted to hear that I watched One flew over at the weekend.

It's very good. I would recomend it. Bit depressing at the end but a few genuinely uplifting moments in it which I hadn't expected.

Marlon Dingle
October 6th, 2008, 7:26 AM
I watched Secretary last night. Dont know what to say really, storyline was a bit shit and it seemed to just be softcore porn for folk in to bondage and the like. I seriously have nothing to say about it.

Lucky Number Slevin is on Channel 4 tonight, its a beast of a film. Might give it a watch if there is nothing else on.

son_of_foley
October 6th, 2008, 7:37 AM
Maggie Gyllenhals alright like.

Didn't like Slevin to be honest. Thought it was trying a bit too hard

Marlon Dingle
October 6th, 2008, 7:39 AM
Yeah her body is banging but the face is a major put off. Also was loving seeing Daniel Farraday in something other than Lost or Saving Private Ryan. He plays the same guy in everthing he is in.

Yeah Slevin is predictable but its still above par. Also the cast is superb.

Hobbit
October 8th, 2008, 1:13 PM
Just seen Southland Tales:

Fuck was all that about then, Justin Timberlake miming to the Killers? christ

Tried to be far too clever and ended up being tedious with Donnie Darko style time travel stuff, Kelly should do a different film really. Best bit was Avon Barksdale and he was in it for about 10 minutes. Utter tripe to be honest, and even The Rock was shit.

son_of_foley
October 9th, 2008, 3:58 AM
I watched taken last night. I thought it was good. Liam Neeson mashed the shit out of THE WHOLE OF ALBANIA

GeezaTap
October 9th, 2008, 7:05 AM
I saw DEATH RACE last night after drinking a can of ROCKSTAR.

I think i am lucky my heart didn't explode. Anyone who likes movies where actual stunts happen with a lack of CGI should go see this.

It's like Mario Kart meets Escape to Victory, except you get Lovejoy instead of Pele.

son_of_foley
October 9th, 2008, 9:33 AM
SOLD

son_of_foley
October 9th, 2008, 9:51 AM
Apparantley it's the lad who did district 13 who directed taken. The fights are a bit good. Total violence

Badger
October 9th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Eggheads last night in the final round:

Woman: "Champions league, I assume that means football." Then she somehow picks Clarence Seedorf as the right answer.

The best bit is she still managed to beat all five of them by herself. :lol:

Marlon Dingle
October 9th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I saw DEATH RACE last night after drinking a can of ROCKSTAR.

I think i am lucky my heart didn't explode. Anyone who likes movies where actual stunts happen with a lack of CGI should go see this.

It's like Mario Kart meets Escape to Victory, except you get Lovejoy instead of Pele.

Can you answer me a question please? I haven't seen this movie. But I read there is no CGI in this movie, but in the trailer there is a scene where it looks like a guy is away to get run over. Can you explain to me how they did this, since in the trailer, it cuts out just before the car hits him.

Hobbit
October 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Eggheads last night in the final round:

Woman: "Champions league, I assume that means football." Then she somehow picks Clarence Seedorf as the right answer.

The best bit is she still managed to beat all five of them by herself. :lol:

Yeah was good wasn't it, Kevin was desperately trying to find an excuse and CJ (the biggest CUNT on the planet christ i hate him) sat there stunned, smug wanker.

To be fair though she had a 1 in 3 chance :\ but still good on her.

Saw 30 Days of Night last night. Second bloody awful I've watched this week, just fucking boring. I know it's a horror film so I shouldn't have expected it to be that good (oooh!) but I just didn't give a toss about anyone in it and was quite pleased when it ended, which is a terrible thing to feel at the end of a film. Josh Hartnett cannot act and it seemed to go on for about 3 hours, which was far too long for a film about people trying to fight off vampires in the snow. I did enjoy the violence however and the vast amounts of gore and splatter was amusing. Apart from that, it was rubbish.

son_of_foley
October 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
It's terrible

Hobbit
October 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Yes!

son_of_foley
October 9th, 2008, 10:54 AM
The ending was also gash and a bit of a rip of one of the blade films.

Badger
October 9th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Yeah was good wasn't it, Kevin was desperately trying to find an excuse and CJ (the biggest CUNT on the planet christ i hate him) sat there stunned, smug wanker.

To be fair though she had a 1 in 3 chance :\ but still good on her.

I don't think there's a single person who doesn't want to stab CJ in the eye with a rusty nail, him and Judith are fucking terrible.

GeezaTap
October 9th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Can you answer me a question please? I haven't seen this movie. But I read there is no CGI in this movie, but in the trailer there is a scene where it looks like a guy is away to get run over. Can you explain to me how they did this, since in the trailer, it cuts out just before the car hits him.

Spoiler but not really, relates to Robocop as well

You know how in Robocop the guy gets covered in acid, then he gets splattered into goo when they run over him in the van?

It's not a million miles away from that.

Some of the car wrecks are incredible - it's enough to make you forgive the guy for the 2nd/3rd Resident Evil flicks.

Hulkamaniac
October 9th, 2008, 4:42 PM
Hate CJ.

Bought:

The Motorcycle Diaries.
Charlotte Gray.
Mongol.

son_of_foley
October 10th, 2008, 5:51 AM
Watched Gone Baby Gone yesterday.

Interesting film. Casey Affleck was decent for it.

Anyone else see this?

Marlon Dingle
October 10th, 2008, 6:04 AM
I watched the start of The Island last night, but It was like 1 o clock in the morning. Recorded the rest of it. Can anyone tell me if its worth watching the rest of it? Reminded me a bit of the Prisoner.

I steal cable
October 10th, 2008, 6:37 AM
Gonna watch Dance Of The Dead tomorrow.

I have high hopes for this film as it has the word 'dead' in the title.

Slare
October 10th, 2008, 8:44 AM
Don't watch Diary of the Dead then.

Guy
October 10th, 2008, 8:45 AM
Gonna watch Dance Of The Dead tomorrow.

I have high hopes for this film as it has the word 'dead' in the title.

Where are you seeing this?

EdgeHead469
October 10th, 2008, 9:46 AM
I watched the start of The Island last night, but It was like 1 o clock in the morning. Recorded the rest of it. Can anyone tell me if its worth watching the rest of it? Reminded me a bit of the Prisoner.

Personally, I liked The Island.. I thought it was one of Mike Bay's better flicks and you can not go wrong with the starring cast. I saw this movie in theaters and I liked it. Nothing to rave about but a fun movie at the least. I may give it another watch now.

Side Note: If anyone sees Body of Lies this weekend, care to post a summary review without spoiling anything about the movie. I am still deciding if I should take a girlfriend to see that or Eagle Eye for a Tuesday night date.

Hobbit
October 10th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Watched Gone Baby Gone yesterday.

Interesting film. Casey Affleck was decent for it.

Anyone else see this?

Yep, I really enjoyed that. Crazy seeing Beatrice from The Wire as a drugged up mum too. I've not really seen many of Casey Affleck's films so went into it with a good open mind and thoroughly enjoyed him, thought he was fantastic. Ed Harris is always a good one too with his hardened face and permanent frown. A bit silly with the twist but overall I liked it a lot, one of the better films I've seen the last year or so.

Watched Finding Nemo. What a lovely film. Pixar are fucking brilliant at animation too I mean the water looked sublime, a really feel good (albeit a kid's film) way to kill a few hours. Better than the steaming pile of shit that was 30 Days of Night and the monumental disappointment Southland Tales that I saw this week.

Oh and The Island was terrible, thanks Michael Bay for wasting yet more of my life.

son_of_foley
October 10th, 2008, 11:16 AM
If you haven't seen ratatouille give it a go. It's a lovely film.

I steal cable
October 10th, 2008, 4:17 PM
Where are you seeing this?

I HAVE NOT DOWNLOADED A DVD QUALITY VERSION OF THIS FILM, THAT WOULD BE WRONG VERY WRONG, I WOULD NEVER DO THAT, ME AND MY MATES WILL NOT BE WATCHING IT TOMORROW, WE WILL BE WATCHING DIARY OF THE DEAD JUST TO SPITE slare.

heh heh heh sucker

Guy
October 10th, 2008, 6:11 PM
Yea, I snooped after your post to see that it had been 'released' sometime this week.

The only reason was because I was looking for it only last week and came up with nothing. I'll look forward to bantering with you on here about it afterwards.

I steal cable
October 13th, 2008, 7:37 AM
Watched it when a bit drunk so I remember parts of it but I'm gonna have to re-watch it again this week. I know I was laughing a lot through it though.

If you like Zombies check out the trailers on here.

http://www.e4.com/deadset/

It's written by Charlie fecking Brooker so I have really high hopes for it. The 'Get Infected' link on that site is pretty batty too.

Guy
October 13th, 2008, 2:40 PM
Well after watching it I must say, it was fantastically enjoyable.

The zombies popping out the graves ands into sprint was brilliant.

I'll definatly go into more enjoyable parts later, but great :yes:

Slare
October 13th, 2008, 5:15 PM
I cant fucking WAIT for Dead Set.

Version 6
October 13th, 2008, 5:37 PM
Watched Burn After Reading last night.

Absolutely loved it. Watched it with my fiance' who hated it, so it's not for everyone really. It's not quite what you expect which for mine added to the enjoyment of it, so I won't give too much away.

Definitely reccomend it for Coen brothers fans. You won't be disappointed.

Ringo
October 13th, 2008, 6:16 PM
Nice. Anything else worth seeing in the Cinema at the mo? (UK of course). I haven't been in quite some time now and am up for a bit of a film spree next week.

Guy
October 13th, 2008, 6:55 PM
that Dead Set looks like it's basically what happened to the Big Brother house when 28 Days Later kicked off.

Running zombies though....tut

Hulkamaniac
October 13th, 2008, 6:58 PM
One of the best actor interviews I've seen from Ross:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRah1hh6w04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h41u7YoUjsw&feature=user

I steal cable
October 14th, 2008, 4:21 AM
that Dead Set looks like it's basically what happened to the Big Brother house when 28 Days Later kicked off.

Running zombies though....tut

Their ankles wouldn't snap.

George doesn't know what the fuck he is talking about.

Guy
October 14th, 2008, 5:32 AM
Did he say that? Haha, oh dear.

Personally I think that slow zombies just because piss takes after the Return of the Living Deads and Michael Jackson videos. People don't see them as a viable threat because they're never made out to be anymore.

Running zombies are fucking scary, but they bring a completely different dynamic to the films I think. They both have their uses....

Ps, what did you think to 28 Weeks Later?

Cactus Lem
October 14th, 2008, 5:43 AM
Nice. Anything else worth seeing in the Cinema at the mo? (UK of course). I haven't been in quite some time now and am up for a bit of a film spree next week.

Gomorrah is out on Friday and it's supposed to be awesome.

Basically about a brutally harsh Italian mob based in Napoli, and so far has been compared to City of God. Sight and Sound also seem to love it which gives it a good deal of credibility in my eyes.

Ringo
October 14th, 2008, 5:50 AM
One of the best actor interviews I've seen from Ross:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRah1hh6w04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h41u7YoUjsw&feature=user

Absolutely. Had me hooked it did, although it looked like Farrell still has his problems, the way he was talking and fidgeting was very erratic. I have also now been converted to Farrell Love. He is the man.

I steal cable
October 14th, 2008, 7:24 AM
Did he say that? Haha, oh dear.

Personally I think that slow zombies just because piss takes after the Return of the Living Deads and Michael Jackson videos. People don't see them as a viable threat because they're never made out to be anymore.

Running zombies are fucking scary, but they bring a completely different dynamic to the films I think. They both have their uses....

Ps, what did you think to 28 Weeks Later?

I liked it. I'm a massive fan of 28 Days Later and knew going into the cinema that expecting more of the same would be idiotic. The action sequences were really the main thing I enjoyed (not Robert Carlyle dickarsing his way round London). With the Helicopter vs Infected (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps-caD1R1EE) scene I was literally jumping up and down on my seat cheering. It's up there with Zombie vs Shark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSPG9QQg4C0) scene.

Anywayz, this is what I'm looking most forward to,

from wiki
In March 2007, Boyle announced plans to create a third chapter of the film franchise, which will be given the title 28 Months Later with a 2009 release date. Boyle has stated that his thoughts are to set the movie in Russia.

I think it would be cool if other countries had a go at making their own version of 28 Days Later.

Hulkamaniac
October 14th, 2008, 7:44 AM
Absolutely. Had me hooked it did, although it looked like Farrell still has his problems, the way he was talking and fidgeting was very erratic. I have also now been converted to Farrell Love. He is the man.

Most of which are probably due to the fact that he was exceptionally nervous, like he stated at the end of the interview.

Pete Cash
October 14th, 2008, 8:08 AM
The Motorcycle Diaries is a good movie.

Guy
October 14th, 2008, 8:42 AM
I liked it. I'm a massive fan of 28 Days Later and knew going into the cinema that expecting more of the same would be idiotic. The action sequences were really the main thing I enjoyed (not Robert Carlyle dickarsing his way round London). With the Helicopter vs Infected (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps-caD1R1EE) scene I was literally jumping up and down on my seat cheering. It's up there with Zombie vs Shark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSPG9QQg4C0) scene.

Anywayz, this is what I'm looking most forward to,

I think it would be cool if other countries had a go at making their own version of 28 Days Later.

I actually preferred 28 Weeks to 28 Days.

I know that's supposed to be some sort of horror blastphomy, but the first one (whilst I do enjoy it) just didn't do it for me the way it should've done. The scariest part being the car alarm going off at the beginning, and the final act set around Christopher Eccleson (who I'm not the biggest fan of) and an army that apparently can't go 28 Days without turning into massive rapists and can also be taken out by Cillian Murphy suddenly going Rambo.

The second one however had That amazingly gripping opening sequence, the shot of the zombies running over the hills towards Carlyle and the "shit shit shit" part in the boat. Awesome

Guy
October 14th, 2008, 9:05 AM
Iron Man
Terrance howard out, Don Cheadle in

Don Cheadle joins 'Iron Man 2'
He'll replace Terrence Howard in Marvel Studios' sequel

By Borys Kit

Oct 14, 2008, 01:00 AM ET
hr/photos/stylus/42622-cheadle_howard_341x182.jpg

Don Cheadle, left, and Terrence Howard (Getty Images photos)
Don Cheadle is stepping in to replace Terrence Howard in "Iron Man 2," Marvel Studios' sequel to its summer blockbuster.

In the movie, Howard played Jim Rhodes, Tony Stark/Iron Man's best friend and future armor-clad hero War Machine. One scene featured Howard looking at a silver suit of armor and saying "Next time," a line that caused great delight for fans.

But there will be no next time for Howard.

Marvel had no comment, but sources close to the deal said negotiations with Howard fell through over financial differences, among other reasons. Marvel, which had wanted to work with Cheadle, then decided to take the role in another direction and approached the actor, who is shooting Antoine Fuqua's "Brooklyn's Finest" with Richard Gere and Ethan Hawke.

Rhodes is expected to play a larger part in the sequel, which is rumored to go beyond high-tech villains. Justin Theroux is writing the screenplay.

Jon Favreau is returning as director, and Robert Downey Jr. is expected back as billionaire industrialist Stark/Iron Man. Gwyneth Paltrow also is expected to be back as Stark's assistant, Pepper Potts.

Cheadle, repped by UTA, most recently starred in "Traitor," a thriller on which he was also a producer. He will next be seen in DreamWorks' "Hotel for Dogs"

Ringo
October 14th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Most of which are probably due to the fact that he was exceptionally nervous, like he stated at the end of the interview.

Absolutely, and he also may something of an obsessive personality. He's a geezer.

Jimmy Zero
October 14th, 2008, 5:35 PM
Finally got around to watching Gone Baby Gone.

Did anyone else think it was incredibly contrived? I can't remember the last time I saw a movie where I thought the acting was very good across the board, yet the movie itself was ridiculous and stupid. It seemed like a 2 hour episode of Law & Order with lots of cuss words.

Also, is everyone in Boston an abrasive piece of shit who deserves to eat broken glass, or is that just the way they're ALWAYS portrayed in film and television?

Hulkamaniac
October 14th, 2008, 5:59 PM
The script wasnt great. The acting was and the directing very fine indeed. The idea and the application was brave, creating a fiml to leave you with such a moral confliction was very smart. But an average script raised by great acting and directing, certainly.

son_of_foley
October 15th, 2008, 5:52 AM
In that respect I've been comparing it to Mystic River, that might be because I'm an idiot and am loosely associating them because of the BOSTON linkage.

I did really enjoy it. Nice that they didnt feel the end to tie it all up at the end so you could make your own decisions on what had happened.

Hulkamaniac
October 15th, 2008, 5:54 AM
I watched The Fall last night. It is exceptional and beautiful.

I steal cable
October 15th, 2008, 7:13 AM
I watched Legends Of The Fall last night, Brad Pitt was exceptionally beautiful.

lol

I actually preferred 28 Weeks to 28 Days.

I know that's supposed to be some sort of horror blastphomy, but the first one (whilst I do enjoy it) just didn't do it for me the way it should've done. The scariest part being the car alarm going off at the beginning, and the final act set around Christopher Eccleson (who I'm not the biggest fan of) and an army that apparently can't go 28 Days without turning into massive rapists and can also be taken out by Cillian Murphy suddenly going Rambo.

The second one however had That amazingly gripping opening sequence, the shot of the zombies running over the hills towards Carlyle and the "shit shit shit" part in the boat. Awesome

Wouldn't you be a bit fucked in the head if you were in the survivors position? Or maybe they're trying put forward the idea that 'the non infected are the real monsters'..... or maybe not. I like Christopher Eccleston, he does one of my favourite speeding adverts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsFE-TONe2w).

I preferred 28 Days later mainly cause of the characters. I really did give a damn if they lived or died and that just doesn't often happen with me. With 28 Weeks Later I found it amusing whenever one of the main people snuffed it, couldn't give a flying fuck. The action was far superior in the second, you can't argue there (the firebombing of London was battttttty)

Also, 28 Days Later will have a special place in my heart cause it was one of the first gory/scary/zombie films I'd ever seen at the cinema, twas one of the high points in my life.

28 Weeks Later opening - directors cut, kinda :D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRT-LvJUuQ)

Alf
October 15th, 2008, 7:29 AM
The opening of 28 Weeks is ridiculously good and terrifying. Absolutely terrifying. What would you do in his position?

That shot of them running over the hill is amazing, it's like a flok of murderous birds going in for the kill.

It's probably one of my favourite movie sequences of all time... up there with the end of Fellowship of the Ring where Aragorn let's frodo go, walks out and does some slowmo battle shit kicking... and then when you hear Boromir's horn that amazing ariel tracking shot through the trees... it's a technical marvel.

Ringo
October 15th, 2008, 7:36 AM
I watched The Fall last night. It is exceptional and beautiful.

Yes it is.

Guy
October 15th, 2008, 7:42 AM
I watched Legends Of The Fall last night, Brad Pitt was exceptionally beautiful.

lol

Wouldn't you be a bit fucked in the head if you were in the survivors position? Or maybe they're trying put forward the idea that 'the non infected are the real monsters'..... or maybe not. I like Christopher Eccleston, he does one of my favourite speeding adverts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsFE-TONe2w).

I preferred 28 Days later mainly cause of the characters. I really did give a damn if they lived or died and that just doesn't often happen with me. With 28 Weeks Later I found it amusing whenever one of the main people snuffed it, couldn't give a flying fuck. The action was far superior in the second, you can't argue there (the firebombing of London was battttttty)

Also, 28 Days Later will have a special place in my heart cause it was one of the first gory/scary/zombie films I'd ever seen at the cinema, twas one of the high points in my life.

28 Weeks Later opening - directors cut, kinda :D (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRT-LvJUuQ)

I think one of the main reasons I liked 28 weeks so much was because I went in expecting it to suck completely. When I saw the poster for it I honestly thought "Really? Ugh". After watching it I was just so surprised.

Also...this theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMyIG2EKPoE

I steal cable
October 15th, 2008, 7:57 AM
That tune was in 28 Days Later I think, when they're in the mansion at the end.

East Hastings is better anywayz - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93y6aYw4mq0

I steal cable
October 15th, 2008, 8:01 AM
http://www.boxheadzombiewars.com/

best. zombie. game. ever + bitchin addictive

Hulkamaniac
October 15th, 2008, 8:30 AM
It's probably one of my favourite movie sequences of all time... up there with the end of Fellowship of the Ring where Aragorn let's frodo go, walks out and does some slowmo battle shit kicking... and then when you hear Boromir's horn that amazing ariel tracking shot through the trees... it's a technical marvel.

There is so much going on in that sequence. I actually use it to demonstrate the importance of all the different types of sound in films so watch it quite often, I could just as easily use it to teach so many different cinematic techniques and elements.

Yes it is.

Oh it so certainly is. Quite similar to The Fountain in style, but in terms of beauty it really puts that in the shade. Kind of like a cross between The Fountain and Pan's Labyrinth.

Ringo
October 15th, 2008, 8:40 AM
Yeah, for me, much like The Fountain it's the kind of film which can be admired without following it perfectly and getting wrapped up in it all. I'd happily put it on in the background whilst getting on with something else, looking up every now and then and listening along. Of course it's better if you're watching it properly like, but both work.