PDA

View Full Version : ***The Official Boxing Thread***

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

1_Pablo_Angel
December 11th, 2007, 1:49 PM
... thought this might be a good idea.

I don't really know much about boxing but I've been getting into it over the last year... the Hatton fight the other night was pretty tough to watch, but I can't wait to see him get back in the ring and batter the shit out of someone now.

Junior Witter phoned up 5 live the other night and 'threw down the gauntlet' to Ricky. People who know, would this be a good fight? Worth it for Hatton? Sellable? Is Witter actually any good?

Also Hopkins Calzaghe should be sorted within a week according to Frank Warren. Realistically much chance of anything but a Calzaghe win there?

Hlebsfall
December 11th, 2007, 1:58 PM
Junior Witter is a wanker. Just fights bums and hasbeens, and the only time he ever fought anyone decent, he was rinsed by Zab Judah. Only after Hatton for a payday.

1_Pablo_Angel
December 11th, 2007, 2:06 PM
Any other decent candidates for him to fight then?

I assume he'll definitely drop back down a weight?

Hulkamaniac
December 11th, 2007, 2:34 PM
Really, the right idea for Hatton would be to drop down and try to unify the division. He'll never really be capable of fighting the naturally taller and bigger people at Welter Weight. That'd mean a fairly easy start fighting Gavin Reece or Paul Maliganni. Junior Witter would be decent money for a domestic fight. He is a credible champ after his last win and although not great, is an awkward slick fighter which is a tough style match-up for Hatton. However, Hatton I still believe, is too big, too fast, too skilled and too strong for anyone at that weight, so he should be able to unify that division easy enough.

Calzaghe vs Hopkins is a money fight. Hopkins still has enough guile and awkwardness in him to make it quite difficult. He's a rough and dirty fighter who tries to spoil styles, which is not ideal. However, Hopkins isnt great against people with great work-rates and there is nobody with a greater work-rate than Joe Calzaghe. He's too fast, too awkward and too skilled for Hopkins who is used to throwing 8-10 punches a round, compared to Calzaghe's 100. It'd probably be on points and the higher weight is somewhat of an unknown quantity, but I'd bet it'd be a fairly comfortable victory for Joe.

What annoys me is that after the fight this weekend, people have started to realise that British boxing is in a good state at the moment. However, they've decided that we've somehow dropped a belt when Hatton fought Floyd. We havent...he's still the Light Welter Weight champion.

UK Blue
December 11th, 2007, 9:08 PM
Any other decent candidates for him to fight then?

I assume he'll definitely drop back down a weight?

The proposed Hatton/De la Hoya fight at Wembley is surely a no-go now. If Hatton had taken Mayweather all the way and lost a close contest (like Oscar did) then there would still be a chance of it happening, but the nature of the defeat means it'd be wise for him to move down to light-welter again.

Junior Witter and Gavin Rees both hold recognised World titles at light-welter and would both be domestic fights. Witter has been calling out Hatton for ages, because like Hlebs said is after Hatton for a massive payday. He isn't in Hatton's league. Rees is part of the Calzaghe stable and won his WBA title over the summer, but wouldn't be a challenge for Hatton I don't think, although I believe he's quite young still.

I personally would like to see Hatton face Paul Malignaggi in his back yard. It wouldn't be an easy fight as he's gone the distance with Miguel Cotto (the next best welter after Mayweather) but from what the experts are saying, Hatton would be too good for him. So fighting out in America straight away after this defeat, in front of a full house at Madison Square Garden and winning would do wonders for his battered reputation over there. Malignaggi is the IBF light-welter title holder, and Hatton has already won the IBF light-welter twice before, off Tszyu in 2005 and Urango last year.

After that, Hatton could either continue beating everyone at light-welter, have one last stab at moving up again and fight someone like Shane Mosley (big name in the US and coming off a loss to Cotto) or even try and tempt Juan Diaz up to light-welter, who holds three of the four World belts at the weight below. There's still plenty of potentially good fights around for Hatton.

What annoys me is that after the fight this weekend, people have started to realise that British boxing is in a good state at the moment. However, they've decided that we've somehow dropped a belt when Hatton fought Floyd. We havent...he's still the Light Welter Weight champion.

Quick question Mik - I was confused when there was talk of Beckham carrying his belts down to the ring, like Rooney did before the Castillo fight, because I was under the impression that he'd relinquished them. I realise the belts mean very little and he's still considered the best at that weight, but he's not currently a title holder is he?

Another question - Why hasn't Calzaghe still got the IBF super-middleweight title he won from Lacy? Was there conflict over the choice of opponents? And to unify a division, do you need to hold all belts at the same time?

Hulkamaniac
December 12th, 2007, 7:14 AM
Kessler had to drop the IBF belt when he fought Peter Manfredo. I think that Inkin or Bute or Mundine won that belt in a unifier, which Kessler then took off him and thus Calzaghe won back when he defeated Kessler.

As for Hatton, the reason he didnt want anyone to carry his belts down to the ring was because none of them were on the line. As far as I'm aware, he didnt have to take his mandatory because they considered a fight with Mayweather to be work enough, so he should still have one or two belts. Though I may be wrong about that.

1_Pablo_Angel
December 26th, 2007, 3:45 PM
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/boxing/story/0,,2231664,00.html

Hatton's conqueror would be no match for my man, Brendan Ingle tells Kevin Mitchell

Sunday December 23, 2007
The Observer

I am telling you now,' Brendan Ingle tells me now, 'that Junior Witter would knock out Floyd Mayweather Junior. I have no doubt about that whatsoever.' Just as emphatically, he scotches any thoughts of Witter fighting the recently beaten Ricky Hatton: 'What do we need Hatton for? Eh? Hatton gets battered by Witter, KOed. The fight we want is Mayweather.'

Bit of an idiot this Ingle bloke then is he?

Nevermind
December 26th, 2007, 6:11 PM
Ok, so he lost against Zab Judah in 2000. That's pretty much it. :dunno:

1_Pablo_Angel
December 26th, 2007, 6:17 PM
ay everyone else said he wasn't fit to lace Hattons boots when I asked if he was any good earlier.

Hulkamaniac
December 28th, 2007, 3:56 PM
I'm rather amazed to be bringing the news that a fight between Enzo Maccarinelli and David Haye has been signed for March 8th to decide the unified Cruiserweight champion of the world.

Surprised because Haye really should not be fighting at this weight any more, especially against someone as hard-hitting as Enzo. Surprised because Enzo could genuinely find himself on his arse embarrassingly early here.

Its very hard to judge what is going to happen. Two fighters with such big futures, I'd have liked to see them buid up their profiles more before going into a fight like this.

Haye has shown a propensity to getting tagged and he hasnt fought anyone who can tag him as well as Enzo will be able to. but Enzo hasnt yet developed the ring generaliship to be able to compete with the skil and guie of Haye.

Coould be an utter war.

UK Blue
January 10th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Some big fights coming up over the next few months -

Jan 19 - Dusseldorf, Germany - Ruslan Chagaev v Matt Skelton (WBA heavyweight)

Jan 19 - Madison Square Garden, New York, USA - Roy Jones Jr. v Felix Trinidad (light-heavyweight)

Feb 2 - ExCel Arena, London - Amir Khan v Martin Kristjansen (lightweight)

Feb 16 - MGM Grand, Las Vegas, USA - Kelly Pavlik v Jermain Taylor (non-title super-middleweight)

Feb 23 - Madison Square Garden, New York, USA - Wladimir Klitschko v Sultan Ibragimov (IBF/WBO heavyweight)

Mar 1 - TBA, USA - Israel Vazquez v Rafael Marquez (WBC super-bantamweight)

Mar 8 - O2 Arena, London, UK - David Haye v Enzo Maccarinelli (WBC/WBA/WBO cruiserweight)

Mar 8 - Cancun, Mexico - Juan Diaz v Nate Campbell (WBA/WBO/IBF lightweight)

Mar 15 - Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, USA - Manny Pacquiao v Juan Manuel Marquez (WBC super-featherweight)

Some potentially great fights there. Pacquiao and JM Marquez are both rated as top 5 P4P and it should be an expolsive rematch. Both are coming off victories over Marco Antonio Barrera last year. Pacquiao is incredibly exciting to watch, if you haven't seen him you ought to. There's talk of him moving up and fighting Hatton at light-welter sometime in the future, although I have my doubts.

Vazquez and R Marquez are at one each after Vazquez beat him in a great fight last summer, so this one is the decider. Again two exciting fighters, well worth watching.

If the Pavlik/Taylor rematch is anything like their first fight back in September then we're in for a treat. That match was fucking brutal, Pavlik somehow managing to survive a barrage of shots in the third to knock out Taylor in the seventh. That was the first time Taylor has been knocked out in his career.

And like Mik said, Enzo/Haye will be a real war. The best domestic fight we've had since Eubank/Benn, between two massive punchers with doubts over their chins. It may not last long. Credit to both men for making the fight, after listening to Haye after he beat Mormeck I never dreamt it would happen.

Paul Malignaggi beat someone called Herman Ngoudjo last week to retain his IBF light-welterweight title, I think Hatton will be eyeing him for a fight early summer at MSG. Calzaghe and Hopkins are nearly at an agreement if what we're lead to believe is true. Hopefully Mayweather will take on Cotto at some point too. This could be a great year for boxing. :yes:

Nevermind
January 11th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Paul Malignaggi beat someone called Herman Ngoudjo last week to retain his IBF light-welterweight title, I think Hatton will be eyeing him for a fight early summer at MSG.
Please watch the fight. Herman NGoudjo easily won that match on points (at least 7 rounds, perhaps more). Malignaggi didn't land a single good shot and spent most of the night running back. Nothing "magical" about that performance. Herman almost knocked him down in the 7th round as well (he hurt him pretty good).

The match was judged by 3 Americans born in Malignaggi's neighbourhood. The referee spent the whole match watching Herman ... while Malignaggi couldn't help himself from holding every time they were close to each other.

That being said, it definitely should be another great boxing year (will be tough to beat the last one).

Hulkamaniac
January 13th, 2008, 12:59 PM
I hope that you're right. At the boxing forum I posted at I'm sick of the Yanks rabbiting on about dodgy British decisions because of the Calzaghe vs Manfredo early-stoppage, when everyone knows that America is one of the worst places of all.

Nevermind
January 14th, 2008, 8:58 AM
I don't know about dodgy British decisions, but it seems like there are a lot of them in Germany (Wilfried Sauderland's promoting group).

Should we expect anything good out of Jones Jr vs Trinidad?

Hulkamaniac
January 14th, 2008, 9:33 AM
Its unlikely.

Germany is dreadful. They should be shot for creating a record breaking champion out of Sven Ottke.

UK Blue
January 20th, 2008, 9:20 PM
Jones beat Trinidad on points, unanimous decision. Sounds like it was a decent contest. He's meant to be entering talks with Calzaghe soon for a fight in Wales later in the year. If he's 39 already and looking to continue, it makes you think Joe could keep on going for a while yet if he fancies it.

Skelton lost to Chagaev on points too, but didn't disgrace himself. I didn't see either fight. Were they on Setanta?

Bluemoon
January 23rd, 2008, 7:27 PM
They were both on Setanta. Skelton did ok and was winning the first 3 maybe 4 rounds. Taped the Jones-Trinidad, Jones won easily, was just to powerful for Trinidad.

Yes, the long-awaited fight between Bernard Hopkins and Joe Calzaghe will take place in Las Vegas on April 19. They will meet as light heavyweights at the Thomas & Mack Center. Can't see Joe losing and then hopefully he can beat Jones.

Hulkamaniac
January 24th, 2008, 6:16 PM
Dont particularly care about him beating Jones. RJJ has done nothing to prove that he isnt washed up so far. I'd rather see him take on Chad Dawson, or the winner of Taylor vs Pavlick 2.

Bluemoon
January 25th, 2008, 4:13 PM
True, I would like to see him face Pavlick. But him beating Jones would be sweet for me personally as I don't like him. Plus him beating two overrated big mouth Yanks after each other would be nice for Joe I think.

Nevermind
February 1st, 2008, 5:57 PM
Jones Jr looked extremely good in his fight against Trinidad. Tito still hits pretty hard and could beat some big names ... not at that weight though.

Hulkamaniac
February 1st, 2008, 7:40 PM
I'm unimpressed. Jones looked fast against someone far too blown up, without much pop at that weight and long past his best days, slowed down greatly by inactivity. Calzaghe or any top SMW would be too much for him based on that showing.

Bluemoon
February 1st, 2008, 7:45 PM
Calzaghe will give him a decent boxing lesson.

Nevermind
February 2nd, 2008, 3:53 PM
I'd put some money on Jones Jr if he ever fought Calzaghe before the end of the year. Hopkins though. :dunno:

Chris Scott
February 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
You would lose your money then. Honestly I can't see no one beating Joe.

Nevermind
February 4th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I also did put some money on the Giants yesterday ...

1_Pablo_Angel
February 10th, 2008, 9:08 AM
Hatton wants Mayweather rematch (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_radio/sport_relief/7232441.stm)

Not a good idea I wouldn't have thought. How good would it be if he won though...

Also Amir Khan was quite good last week. Outclassed some Australian bloke iin a Commonwealth defence.

Bluemoon
February 16th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah I think Hatton is still proberly hurting, I wouldn't want him to have a rematch.

Kelly "The Ghost" Pavlik vs. Jermain "Bad Intentions" Taylor tonight, gotta love the nicknames there.

Will be sky + this fight, looking forward to it, the first one was great. I'm going with Kelly for another stoppage.

I'm loving Kelly and I like Taylor but for some reason I've just never been sold on his greatness. His first win over Bernard was very questionable, the second was legit. He fought Winky to a draw but still, I just think he'll never live up to Hopkins, Jones, or Haggler. I believe this fight will make or break it for Taylor.

Bluemoon
February 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3248742

Nice tune-up fight, hope the rematch happens too.

Chris Scott
February 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I'm loving Kelly and I like Taylor but for some reason I've just never been sold on his greatness. His first win over Bernard was very questionable, the second was legit. He fought Winky to a draw but still, I just think he'll never live up to Hopkins, Jones, or Haggler. I believe this fight will make or break it for Taylor.

Well after watching the fight I thought Taylor was very good and the fight was well closer then it was given. Kelly did deserve it with another solid display in what was a good night of Boxing.

Hulkamaniac
February 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Nah, it was clear Pavlick. Taylor didnt make his superior composure and boxing skills count.

Calzaghe would utterly destroy either of those two though.

Chris Scott
February 17th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Maybe yes but I'm still not totally convinced it was as clear as it was.

Taylor was looking good first 4 rounds, couple rounds after that were even but yes Kelly took over then.

Might watch it again later I really enjoyed the fight.

Bluemoon
February 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Loved that fight last night, I think Taylor might have saved his career as he did well.

It was clear Pavlik won like the judges said.

Chris Scott
February 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
One judges scorecard bollocks , I watched it again last night. 117-111 was way off it should have been like the other scores. In fact the fight still should of been closer.

Nevermind
February 22nd, 2008, 8:22 PM
Nah, it was clear Pavlick. Taylor didnt make his superior composure and boxing skills count.

Calzaghe would utterly destroy either of those two though.
He probably would, but he'd always be one Pavlik punch away from cleaning up the floor with his arse.

Hulkamaniac
February 22nd, 2008, 8:28 PM
I sincerely doubt it. I'm not sure how excellently Pavlik is taking his power up in weight. He has Jermaine Taylor in NO TROUBLE whatsoever. Calzaghe is heavier, bigger and has a much more solid chin. Furthermore, he's taken bigger hits than Pavlik before and not looked anywhere near knockout so far.

Bluemoon
February 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
Wladimir Klitschko vs. Sultan Ibragimov tonight, Russian are dominating the heavyweight division :\

Nevermind
February 23rd, 2008, 1:07 PM
And it should be a really good fight. I'll probably end up watching that one. :hyper:

Hulkamaniac
February 23rd, 2008, 5:44 PM
I'd like to watch it, but its on bloody Sky, not Setanta. Anyone know where there's a good stream?

I cant see beyond a dominate Klit victory. I'm hoping that a bit of order will be restored to the heavyweight division by a unified champion and Wlad seems to be the best man to do that.

Ringo
February 23rd, 2008, 5:46 PM
http://www.myp2p.eu/index.php?part=sports

This one has a whole range of sports streams. The fight isn't listed there yet, but it could appear a bit later on.

Hulkamaniac
February 23rd, 2008, 5:57 PM
I still cant figure out how that place works.

Bluemoon
February 25th, 2008, 3:58 PM
I stayed up and watched and wished I hadn't, not the greatest Heavyweight fight ever. Mind you the "Irish" John Duddy fight was very good.

Hopefully like rumoured he will be fighting Kelly Pavlik on June 7 at Madison Square Garden. The fans will turn out in the masses for that, not that I think he will win though.

Chris Scott
February 28th, 2008, 6:18 PM
Yeah Duddy just about did enough, like his trainer said he should of just forgot about impressing his New York fans and got on with.

He has no chance against Pavlik if he fights him, it's like thinking Forbes is beating De La Hoya in May :lol:

Nevermind
March 1st, 2008, 12:43 AM
Lucian Bute just ended William Joppy's career. Dominant performance.

Hulkamaniac
March 1st, 2008, 6:53 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing either Bute vs Kessler, Bute vs Froch or Bute vs Lacy next then.

UK Blue
March 1st, 2008, 8:50 AM
Can't believe Setanta don't have Marquez vs Vazquez tonight. So much for being the home of boxing. Anyone know what time it's meant to start? Might have to try and find a stream.

Can't wait for Haye/Mac next week, and of course JMM/Pacman the following week.

Bluemoon
March 1st, 2008, 7:29 PM
He has no chance against Pavlik if he fights him, it's like thinking Forbes is beating De La Hoya in May :lol:

I wouldn't go that far like, Duddy is a good boxer.

I'm also looking forward to Haye/Mac UK Blue, just watched the fight countdown on Satanta.

Hlebsfall
March 3rd, 2008, 7:41 PM
Still don't know who I want to win out of Haye/Mac. I should go for Haye, because he's English, and seems a fairly sound bloke, but then I've always enjoyed Enzo's fights.

Hmm, I think I'm starting to edge towards Enzo at the moment.

Hlebsfall
March 3rd, 2008, 7:43 PM
Saying that, I've just remembered when I saw Haye get his arse handed to him by Carl THE CAT Thompson, and laughed. So yeah, ENZO.

Hulkamaniac
March 3rd, 2008, 7:46 PM
That was due to poor conditioning (which is now resolves I think) and the fact that his chin is shite at the Cruiserweight due to him completely draining himself to make the weight.

I want Haye to win. He has a bigger future and might actually do something at Heavyweight.

Hlebsfall
March 3rd, 2008, 7:54 PM
He'll have to get through Audley Harrison first.

Hulkamaniac
March 3rd, 2008, 7:56 PM
Who?

Hlebsfall
March 3rd, 2008, 8:04 PM
Here we find him striking his usual pose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/tx/weekinpictures/media/ap_audley405x291.jpg

World champion within five years, the BBC said so.

Bluemoon
March 6th, 2008, 4:30 PM
That was due to poor conditioning (which is now resolves I think) and the fact that his chin is shite at the Cruiserweight due to him completely draining himself to make the weight.

I want Haye to win. He has a bigger future and might actually do something at Heavyweight.

I was 50/50 at first but now I want Enzo to win. I honestly don't think Haye will do much at Heavyweight. All what I have read and watched on Setanta, in my opinion Haye is a tad scared of Enzo.

I think Enzo has a brighter future and this his time to prove he is the best Cruiserweight around.

UK Blue
March 6th, 2008, 5:59 PM
If Haye was scared of Enzo he wouldn't have taken the fight in the first place. Everyone was sure he was moving up a weight after the Mormeck fight. Fair play to him for giving the fans what they wanted to see.

I would back Haye if forced to make a decision, but it really could go either way. There are serious doubts over Haye's chin, and I don't think he's ever been hit by someone with Mac's power. The longer the fight goes on the more that'll play to Mac's advantage too. Haye will be ultra aggressive the first few rounds to try and end it early.

Bluemoon
March 6th, 2008, 6:46 PM
I doubt Haye's chin very much, if he gets caught he is going down.

Chris Scott
March 6th, 2008, 7:18 PM
He ain't got no chin and I hope Enzo knocks him out. Seriously Enzo needs this more and to me wants it more.

Time for Enzo to step out of the shadow of Calzaghe. Really looking forward to Saturday now.

There was a mix up about the times of each camp for the weigh in tomorrow, so not sure what time it's on.

Bluemoon
March 7th, 2008, 6:29 PM
Weigh in was nothing special apart from Enzo looking the more relaxed and seemed more confident.

Any Americans watching it since it's on live your time and we have to wait until about 3am?

Hulkamaniac
March 7th, 2008, 6:32 PM
And Haye looking ridiculously cut and buff.

Its an odd one. I really like Enzo (and admittedly I like Haye). But Haye winning could really catapult him to fame in this country and allow him to move up as a heavyweight contender. Whereas if Enzo wins, he'll likely dominate at Cruiser and if he loses...he'll like dominate at Cruiser.

Bluemoon
March 7th, 2008, 6:42 PM
Yeah I like that Britain is split 50/50 on who they want to win.

I agree if Haye wins it will help his fame for moving to heavyweight but that also mean Enzo dominating the cruiser weight without actually beating the best cruiserweight in Haye. It would be a monkey on his shoulder. I would rather and hope Enzo wins and then dominating everyone in his path.

Hlebsfall
March 9th, 2008, 6:24 AM
Well, I think that's what you call emphatic. Good luck to the lad, I just hope he can steamroller the Heavyweight division now, and go some way to adding a bit of prestige to it.

Chris Scott
March 9th, 2008, 8:06 AM
I ridiculously underestimated Haye, he was dam impressive. Lets hope he can go onto better things.

Hulkamaniac
March 9th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Its still his power that is most impressive, that'll transfer with him in weight, but will his style.

Stayed up and watched it last night, it was a shame that it didnt last very long. I'm glad Enzo was alright and philosophical about what happened. He made a couple of mistakes and got utterly clocked when he did. Doesnt mean that he's any less of a fighter than anyone thought.

Chris Scott
March 10th, 2008, 3:36 PM
Yeah I stayed up to watch it and when you do you kinda hope it goes on longer then two rounds.

Enzo was gracious in defeat hopefully he bouncers back quick.

UK Blue
March 10th, 2008, 6:12 PM
I stayed up for it, but I'm usually up at half 2 on a Sat night anyway so the premature ending didn't bother me.

Haye sure looked impressive. I rather agree with what Mik said earlier, Haye needed the win more than Enzo. I personally can't wait until he moves up and gets going in the heavyweight division, there's nothing there to be worried about. Maccarinelli will bounce back from this and hold a world title again at cruiserweight before too long. He's still one of the best at that weight, but Haye is looking like a really exciting talent right now. Such power. The yanks will love him.

Pacquiao vs Marquez this weekend. You can pretty much guarantee a great fight with these two in the ring. Manny to take it on points.

Bad Collin
March 10th, 2008, 7:11 PM
Haye is exciting but he is always going to struggle if his opponent stops him getting inside.

Chris Scott
March 10th, 2008, 7:59 PM
Yeah good point that. Is Haye a good Boxer? Yes he can knock people out but can he out box people?

Bluemoon
March 12th, 2008, 7:41 PM
Pacquiao vs Marquez this weekend. You can pretty much guarantee a great fight with these two in the ring. Manny to take it on points.

Cant wait for that one, I remember the fight 4 years ago. Will be staying up to watch that fight. I like Pacquiao lots and hopefully he wins, he is a class boxer.

Haye is exciting but he is always going to struggle if his opponent stops him getting inside.

Yeah good point that. Is Haye a good Boxer? Yes he can knock people out but can he out box people?

Exactly.

Not that I don't want him to do well in the Heavyweight division, I just can't see him knocking big fuckers out with a very good defense like Wladimir Klitschko. Even Sam Peter he would struggle with.

Anyway fair play to him on Saturday as he did prove to be the best Cruiser.

Bluemoon
March 12th, 2008, 7:48 PM
As you Boxing fans have proberly heard, Hattton to face Lazcano at the best ground ever in the best City ever May 24th. No doubt I will be going I have seen him fight twice at the MEN.

Bad Collin
March 12th, 2008, 7:50 PM
I think I'm in Manchester around that time.....awesome

Chris Scott
March 12th, 2008, 7:55 PM
Yeah hopefully I can make it to, I'm sure that date clasher's with a wedding I'm at.

I think Hatton seems to be looking at this fight as a confidence builder which would explain for his choice of opponent.

For whatever reasons, Hatton has decided on bypassing fights against the likes of Witter, Torres, Malignaggi, Lamont Peterson, Rees, and Andreas Kotelnik, Boxers who I wanted to see him fight and prove he really is the best at his weight.

I can’t really understand Hatton’s reasoning for choosing Lazcano other than the fact that Hatton is in need of an easy win at this point, something to try to rebuild his self image after the the defeat he received from Mayweather.

Bluemoon
March 13th, 2008, 3:26 PM
Well you don't want a tough opponent like the ones you mentioned who might have a good chance of beating Hatton, it's is homecoming and a 2nd defeat in a row will obviously not be good.

I'm not saying Lazcano wont beat him, but if he did he would have to had put in a really bad performance, I fully expect Hatton to beat him though.

Hulkamaniac
March 13th, 2008, 7:53 PM
First time you lose in your career...make sure that you win the next one. Seems common sense to me.

Bad Collin
March 13th, 2008, 9:05 PM
My Hatton tickets are being bought first thing tomorrow :)

Hulkamaniac
March 16th, 2008, 9:31 AM
The Pacquiao vs Marquez fight was excellent. I had it as a draw personally, but cant blame either fighter for anything.

Bluemoon
March 16th, 2008, 9:35 AM
Just got done watching it, I think most people would have had that a draw. Nice for Pacman to win I like his style even though he leaves himself open. Both fighters were great and that had to be fight off the year so far, just as good as the first.

Bluemoon
March 16th, 2008, 9:47 AM
By the way where's all the boxing fans on here? I know some post on here I just would have thought there would have been more.

Tremendous sport Boxing is and last nights fight proved it.

Chris Scott
March 16th, 2008, 7:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/chris-h-/pac_victory10_482x316.jpg

MANNY MANNY MANNY

Happy he won, It was a close fight that had me at the edge of my seat and hopefully they give us one more match. I believe Pac will beat Marquez again in a third match, Marquez probably fought the best fight of his career and it just fell short. I don't believe he can reach that high again. Age has to catch up to him and even a very slight decline in skills against Pac could prove fatal. But then again Pac was rocked, stunned and wobbled a few times last night. Give us a third one please.

UK Blue
March 16th, 2008, 7:35 PM
I read that Manny was consdiering moving up in weight and looking at possible fights with Juan Diaz and our own Ricky if he beat Marquez. Diaz losing the other week to Nate Campbell has probably put that fight on hold I'd imagine.

Didn't manage to see the fight yesterday, but I'll certainly be looking for it over the next few days. These guys are always great entertainment.

Chris Scott
March 16th, 2008, 7:43 PM
Yep I read he wanted to move up too.

It's certainly worth the find mate. Actually I might download the Campbell/Diaz see how much of a shock it was.

Bad Collin
March 16th, 2008, 7:46 PM
I watched that fight this morning. awesome stuff. The momentum seemed to shift every few rounds. I'm loving my Setanta at the moment.

Bluemoon
March 19th, 2008, 6:09 PM
Yeah Santanta is awesome at the minute.

Though Sky announced there showing The Miguel Cotto vs. Alfonso Gomez fight, it's on the same date as Tarver/Woods and off course that's a week before Super Joe Calzaghe. Can't wait for all those fights.

Speaking off Tarver vs Woods couple of people in work where on about there press conference they did last month, funny stuff. I think everyone hates Tarver and I hope Woods shuts him up.

*Bangs Table*

Woah...Woah...Woah :lol:

UK Blue
March 19th, 2008, 9:38 PM
Great news about Cotto being shown on Sky, he's one of my five favourite fighters. Loved his bouts with Mosley and Quintana. I'm hoping to see a showdown with Mayweather later in the year, he's the only bloke about who's got a chance of unsettling him I think, although I still think he'd come up a little short.

Khan sets heart on Rees showdown (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7305747.stm)

Interesting article here from the BBC. Khan and Rees are having a bit of a war of words. Rees' comments include - "Khan reckons he's Mr Big, but put him in the ring with me and I'll give him a right good pasting. I really believe I'll smash him to pieces" - this coming from a guy who can hardly put a hole in a paper bag, and has a knockout % of less than 50, despite never fighting anyone decent. I don't know about Rees' next opponent Kotelnik, except he drew with M'baye last year. I don't see Rees holding onto the title for much longer to be honest, although I'd love for Khan to move up to LWW where the better fights are. This was another strange comment from the Calzaghe camp following on from Enzo C's regarding Haye earlier in the week. There's so much bollocks talked in boxing.

I see Manny has agreed to move up to lightweight and fight David Diaz in June. He doesn't take long going from one fight to another! Great news, and a big step towards a possible Pacquiao/Hatton fight in the future. That'd be my dream fight at the moment, two guys who never take a backwards step. Perhaps they could meet at a catchweight, about 138lbs? It'd be a big money fight, and Hatton would enjoy being the naturally bigger fighter after moving up himself in the past. Lets hope it happens. :yes:

Chris Scott
March 22nd, 2008, 6:07 PM
Yeah since the start of the year I have looked up about Cotto and I love him already, I have now watched his fights against Ricardo Torres, Paul Malignaggi, Carlos Quintana, Zab Judah and Shane Mosley.

Pacquiao/Hatton would be interesting now you mentioned it UK Blue, I was thinking Pacquiao/Juan Diaz.

Oscar De La Hoya is still one of my best Boxers off all time, I recently bought his career box sets with all his fights and most of his amateur fights. I can't believe he lost to Felix Trinidad and Shane Mosley II. I'm currently up to his fight with Bernard Hopkins, Why did he move up to that weight he looked well uncomfortable against Felix Sturm.

Gavin Rees on now.

Bad Collin
March 22nd, 2008, 6:12 PM
I've never seen Rees fight before but I'm impressed, he's little fucking tank.

Bad Collin
March 22nd, 2008, 6:37 PM
I love this guy, he is getting battered but he just keeps coming.

Hulkamaniac
March 23rd, 2008, 6:24 AM
Until the end...sadly.

Why did he move up to that weight he looked well uncomfortable against Felix Sturm.

Lots of controversy. A lot of people claimed that he took a dive in order to get Hopkins as part of Golden Boy Promotions.

Chris Scott
March 24th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Ah right.

Well I watched the Hopkins fight nothing special on both parts. Also watched the fight against Ricardo Mayorga and read up all about the rivarly. Nice to see Oscar showing his class at the end of the fight.

Speaking off Tarver vs Woods couple of people in work where on about there press conference they did last month, funny stuff. I think everyone hates Tarver and I hope Woods shuts him up.

*Bangs Table*

Woah...Woah...Woah :lol:

Hahahaha I seen that the other day, Tarver looses it.

I watched that fight this morning. awesome stuff. The momentum seemed to shift every few rounds. I'm loving my Setanta at the moment.

Watched it, great fight. Nasty cut on Diaz, clearly accidental headbutt though.

I love this guy, he is getting battered but he just keeps coming.

Yeah shame he lost, he did give it is all, the other bloke was quite decent.

Nevermind
March 24th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Watched it, great fight. Nasty cut on Diaz, clearly accidental headbutt though.
The cut was caused by a punch (although there definitely were a few headbutts in the fight).

Bluemoon
March 27th, 2008, 3:41 PM
Oscar De La Hoya is still one of my best Boxers off all time, I recently bought his career box sets with all his fights and most of his amateur fights. I can't believe he lost to Felix Trinidad and Shane Mosley II. I'm currently up to his fight with Bernard Hopkins, Why did he move up to that weight he looked well uncomfortable against Felix Sturm.

Where did you get his career box set from?

A friend borrowed me the Gatti/Ward trilogy, it's possibly one of the best boxing I have ever seen, the 9 round of the 3rd fight was simply breathtaking.

Chris Scott
March 28th, 2008, 5:13 PM
The Gatti/Wardfights are superb, the 3rd fight was the truest example of courage and spirit I had the pleasure of seeing, God bless both of them. Also that is real boxing, none of that hit and run jab shit we see nowadays. I would have paid anything to watch that fight.

The site I use for box sets is http://boxvid.co.uk/

DVD's are sent in plastic sleeves with no artwork just to let you know, there good copies too.

Bluemoon
April 4th, 2008, 1:01 PM
Nice one.

I ordered Cotto's fights before.

UK Blue
April 4th, 2008, 7:40 PM
Thaxton got thoroughly outclassed by Romanov tonight. Cut ended it after the 5th but the result was inevitable.

What channel is Khan on tomorrow? Looking forward to seeing him, missed the fight against St Clair. There's talk of him fighting Joel Casamayor next which I think would be a bad move. Was well impressed with Casamayor against Katsidis. He's 36 but he can still go. Brilliant fight that was actually.

Funny quote from Hopkins, after Calzaghe called him Mary Poppins -

"He called me Old Poppy Hopkins, or Mary Hopkins, but she was a very, very powerful lady.

"He can't have been caling me a female, because he called me Poppy, and if you know the history of Mary Poppins... She was a powerful lady who had magical powers with that umbrella.

"Mary Poppins was one of my favourite bedtime stories when I was small, and if anyone knows the history of Mary Poppins it's nothing to laugh at.

"Come 19 April, I'm going to be glad I was called Mary Poppins."

:lol:

Bluemoon
April 4th, 2008, 7:43 PM
:lol: Hopkins is a bit mad.

Kahn is on ITV1, the undercard is on ITV4.

I missed the Thaxton fight and forgot to plus it and I'm currently downloading Joel Casamayor's last fight, I heard it was excellent.

UK Blue
April 4th, 2008, 7:51 PM
Yeah you should definitely give it a watch, fantastic fight. Katsidis got found out a bit I feel.

Well chuffed Khan's on ITV, meant to be playing poker at a mates house who only has freeview. Never seen Kristjansen but his record is decent. He's never been stopped but apparently can't punch for toffee. A good fight for Khan to show off his skills.

Chris Scott
April 5th, 2008, 7:12 AM
Yeah I watched that Katsidis fight, they say he is the new Gatti. Cracking fight it was.

Thaxton like UK Blue said got outclassed, shame. Kahn fight should be good hopefully.

Hulkamaniac
April 5th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Decent record and defense, but cant punch for toffee is pretty standard of Khan's opponents. At the moment, he's still young in his career, but if he's wanting to move up to challenge he needs to start fighting someone with a bit of power otherwise he's going to be in for a shock when he gets into the title fights.

Chris Scott
April 6th, 2008, 6:27 PM
Yeah good point that Mik as Kahn won easy enough.

Anyone watch Derry Matthews on the undercard? I have followed his career with him being a fellow local lad. His fight was so one sided it was unbelievable. Derry looked very nervous as he came out and as if he didn't believe he could pull this off, easily outclassed.

I'm disappointed for him, not sure where he goes from here either. I know its one loss but I don't think he has the power to successfully move up in weight and if he hasn't got it in him to be taking big shots from the powerful guys in the division he's going to struggle at Feather. He's a good fighter so hopefully h bounces back very fast.

Hulkamaniac
April 8th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I dont know, it could be the making off him. He couldnt stop himself getting clocked. Got absolutely leathered, had no plan B. If he wants to have a future in the boxing world, he needs to learn from that. A lot.

Bluemoon
April 11th, 2008, 1:02 PM
Good night of Boxing on Saturday night lads.

Looking forward to watching Cotto very very much.

Hulkamaniac
April 11th, 2008, 2:01 PM
Also, if Clinton Woods win, I'd imagine that he'd be Calzaghe's next fight.

Bluemoon
April 11th, 2008, 6:46 PM
Yeah he said he would like to fight him as well as Roy Jones.

MON Woods.

UK Blue
April 11th, 2008, 6:52 PM
Is Woods on PPV tomorrow or just normal Setanta? Probably going to be at a mates place who has Sky but disgracefully doesn't have the sports channels. If it's on PPV I'll likely phone up and buy it.

I'll have to record Cotto/Gomez and Cintron/Margarito and watch them Sunday. Should be a couple of fights well worth seeing. The Calzaghe fight next week is the one I'm really looking forward to though. Can anyone here see Joe losing?

Bluemoon
April 11th, 2008, 7:02 PM
Woods is on Setanta mate.

There both near enough on at the same time.

As for the big one last week I just can't see Joe losing, hopefully going to be a good night with a few mates over, like the Hatton fight but a different outcome.

Chris Scott
April 11th, 2008, 8:03 PM
Yes, Cotto tomorrow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/chris-h-/CottovsGomez.jpg

Do him lad, do him.

Bluemoon
April 12th, 2008, 8:37 AM
Gomez has his face on but Cotto look cool and calm like always.

I was watching most of Cotto fights last night, the Torres fight round 2 blood hell how did he survive and round 5 he was in trouble too. Also his win over Corley was a bit daft too.

I guess Cotto fans will know this but when he looks in trouble he really shows it.

Chris Scott
April 12th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah that Torres fight was superb. A lot of fans on Boxing Forums think Cotto is overrated, I don't agree with that.

He is a Boxing machine.

Bad Collin
April 13th, 2008, 7:59 AM
That was the first time I have ever seen Woods fight and I can't say that I'm impressed. He just couldn't get near Tarver he just got picked off.

Hulkamaniac
April 13th, 2008, 1:30 PM
Thats cos (despite being a champion) Woods is in no way an elite boxer whatsoever. Enzo Calzaghe said that Woods would've been the best fight that Calzaghe could take at that weight because he'd be a lucrative domestic match, he'd bring a belt and he'd be piss easy to beat.

Bluemoon
April 13th, 2008, 3:39 PM
Yeah fairplay to Tarver he outboxed him.

Gomez was a mismatch for Cotto, easy victory for the Puerto Rico star.

Bad Collin
April 13th, 2008, 3:58 PM
The thing that disappointed me the most about Woods was the apparent lack of effort. Tarver was visibly gasping for breath by the end and Woods didn't step up his game. He seemed to lack hunger rather than talent.

Fanny Batter
April 13th, 2008, 4:34 PM
Yeah fairplay to Tarver he outboxed him.

Gomez was a mismatch for Cotto, easy victory for the Puerto Rico star.

Don't know how that fight got regulated, really. Gomez was always going to take a pasting.

If Cotto gets past Margarito and PBF past Oscar, that could be a big fight for next year, assuming Floyd doesn't dodge Cotto in favour of the possible money spinning Wembley fight with Hatton.

Hulkamaniac
April 13th, 2008, 4:34 PM
He lacks both really. Apparently a good mate of his died this past week, so maybe he was a bit distracted. Plus, he's never been great on the big stage.

Chris Scott
April 14th, 2008, 4:04 PM
Yep I heard Woods good friend passes away, against Tarver he just wasn't doing much really.

Don't know how that fight got regulated, really. Gomez was always going to take a pasting.

If Cotto gets past Margarito and PBF past Oscar, that could be a big fight for next year, assuming Floyd doesn't dodge Cotto in favour of the possible money spinning Wembley fight with Hatton.

Good question how did that fight get regulated, surely not becuase Gomez beat a past it Gatti.

I hope Cotto wins Margarito and gets Floyd. Margarito looked very good on Saturday though.

Cotto's timing, speed, and technique is just down right superb.

The Rosk
April 16th, 2008, 1:01 PM
So lads. Anyone watching the Calzaghe fight?

Chris Scott
April 16th, 2008, 3:26 PM
Wouldn't miss if for the world, not sure if I'm watching it ours or going out to watch it.

Bad Collin
April 16th, 2008, 3:58 PM
I can't wait, I will be drunkenly making my way over to my friends house to watch it. Joe in 9 rounds....

UK Blue
April 16th, 2008, 5:28 PM
I'm looking forward to this more than I was Hatton/Mayweather to be honest. I really hope Joe does himself justice, if he under performs and Hopkins somehow picks up the win he'll be labelled a fraud in the US, which we all know is not true.

I see it going the twelve rounds, with Calzaghe hopefully dominating enough to prevent the judges from screwing him out of it. No-one has ever had an easy night against Hopkins and despite being 43, his last couple of performances have been impressive. He looks in great shape still and is far from past it. I just think Calzaghe's speed and relentless pressure will be too much for Hopkins. Joe's smart enough not to get sucked into a brawl on the inside. Unanimous decision for Joe.

My predictions recently have been pretty good too - Mayweather (although I said UD), Haye 1-3, Pacquiao on points, Vazquez on points, Tarver on points. The only one I've got wrong is Pavlik/Taylor, thought Taylor would win the rematch. Hopefully my prediction is right for Saturday, although I'd LOVE to see Joe knock him out.

Should be brilliant, especially with Audley Harrison providing the pre-match comedic entertainment. :yes:

The Rosk
April 16th, 2008, 7:01 PM
Joe doesn't have it in him to knock him out. I just can't see it happening. A stoppage at a push. It would be fucking awesome, however. He is massive favourite - 1/3 at most bookies.

But Hopkins is certainly no slouch. Should be a decent fight.

Hulkamaniac
April 16th, 2008, 9:43 PM
I wouldnt be surprised to see Joe get a TKO towards the end of the fight. He has claimed that it should free-up his hands a bit at a higher weight (his power problems come from having very bad hands, rather than not having the power within him), so we'll see how that goes.

Naturally, I'm expecting a Joe UD. I havent feared as much this time, because I think that its more certain than the Kessler fight, but I think that Calzaghe is superior and has gained so much confidence from his two big wins. The closer to the fight it gets, the more nervous I become though, as Joe has been my favourite fighter ever since Tyson fell apart. I'm sure that he'll do me proud though. I would be unimaginably devastated if he lost.

Bluemoon
April 17th, 2008, 3:00 PM
Yeah I was nervous as hell for Hatton, sure I will be the same for Joe. I was all for Joe to win the fight but watching the build ups and all that, I'm 50/50 now. Hopefully Joe pulls out something special and shuts Hopkins and Americans up!

Hulkamaniac
April 18th, 2008, 1:50 PM
The reason you're a 50/50 now is because the build-up messes with you head and trying to push the fight as being 50/50. If you use a bit of reasoning, you'll get back behind Calzaghe.

Bluemoon
April 18th, 2008, 4:19 PM
I see your point but don't worry I'm backing him all the way.

Weigh-in is on the HBO website at 10:30 UK time.

UK Blue
April 18th, 2008, 4:43 PM
It's on The Fight Channel too, channel 427 on Sky Digital.

Bluemoon
April 18th, 2008, 4:46 PM
Ah cool I didn't see that, I was checking Setanta Spoerts 1 and News.

wardy
April 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Joe doesn't have it in him to knock him out. I just can't see it happening. A stoppage at a push. It would be fucking awesome, however. He is massive favourite - 1/3 at most bookies.

But Hopkins is certainly no slouch. Should be a decent fight.
Aye Calzaghe is the clear favourite.

Hopkins is a dithering old bastard, hoping for as much publicity as he can get so he can make as much money as possible. He knows he's going to get beat. It's merely a formality.

UK Blue
April 19th, 2008, 7:23 AM
Joe looked fucking pumped in the weigh-in yesterday. Fuck I hope he does it.

Massive debate on the 606 website, mainly between people who think Calzaghe will win every round and those who say Joe's a bum and has never met anyone in Hopkins' class. It does annoys me that Joe didn't go for bigger fights right after destroying Lacy. That was the time to really step up a gear, yet he fought a no hoper in Manfredo and a strong but ugly fighter in Bika. Warren really dropped the ball there.

Still, I'm positive Calzaghe has the ability to mix it with the best, even if he's yet to prove it in the States. This is a good fight for him.

Chris Scott
April 19th, 2008, 9:45 AM
I’ve read and heard a lot of talk debating the boxing records of Bernard Hopkins compared to Joe Calzaghe. Even Hopkins and Calzaghe have also been discussing each others records.

They say Joe Calzaghe has only ever fought sub standard European opposition. I really don’t get this one. Calzaghe has fought Omar Sheika from the U.S, Charles Brewer (former I.B.F Super middleweight champion), Byron Mitchell (2 time W.B.A Champion) and the supposed future of boxing and heavy favorite Jeff Lacey (was current I.B.F Champion).

All of the above were in my opinion a good class of American opposition. Although Kessler was European anyone who might suggest he was sub standard does not know about boxing. Chris Eubank although past his peak, Robin Reid, Richie Woodall and Sakio Bika were all also in my opinion of a good standard, three of these have held versions of the super middleweight title at some point in their careers. So has Joe Calzaghe only fought sub standard European opposition clearly not.

Yes Hopkins has fought the better skilled boxers and future hall of famers in De La Hoya and Trinidad, but they were out of their weight classes. If Hopkins had have avenged his lose to Jones Jr and have beat Calzaghe around the same period instead of fighting these blown up Welters then I think his record to the boxing purist would look a lot better.

Who’s got the best record? Who cares! These are both mega stars of boxing, with fans over both sides of the pond. This is boxing at its very best and I can’t wait!

Chris Scott
April 19th, 2008, 9:47 AM
Joe looked fucking pumped in the weigh-in yesterday. Fuck I hope he does it.

Massive debate on the 606 website, mainly between people who think Calzaghe will win every round and those who say Joe's a bum and has never met anyone in Hopkins' class. It does annoys me that Joe didn't go for bigger fights right after destroying Lacy. That was the time to really step up a gear, yet he fought a no hoper in Manfredo and a strong but ugly fighter in Bika. Warren really dropped the ball there.

Still, I'm positive Calzaghe has the ability to mix it with the best, even if he's yet to prove it in the States. This is a good fight for him.

Yep Joe looked well up for it last night, Hopkins didn't seem like his usual self. Your right in what your saying Joe should have got bigger fight after destroying Lacy.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 5:10 PM
come on lads.... where's the PASSION FOR TONIGHT!!

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 5:13 PM
I'm hear mate, Setanta is on, I'm trying to keep myself busy so that I'm not too nervous during the build up, but the fucking passion is there.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 5:17 PM
I'm nervous as well. Just hoping Joe doesn't catch a couple of stiff shots. No idea how this is going to go.

turdpower
April 19th, 2008, 5:21 PM
After Hatton, we are owed one.

1_Pablo_Angel
April 19th, 2008, 5:21 PM
I'm just nervous I wont be able to find a decent stream :\

I'll start worrying about the fight when im sure ill be able to watch it.

Bluemoon
April 19th, 2008, 5:22 PM
MON JOE.

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 5:53 PM
I'm nervous as well. Just hoping Joe doesn't catch a couple of stiff shots. No idea how this is going to go.

Joe has one of the most underrated chins in boxing, he'll be fine taking shots. I just hope that the ref is fair and so are the judges. I dont want to see Hopkins cheating and getting away with it from ref and judges.

Hlebsfall
April 19th, 2008, 6:16 PM
Hopefully Cortez will be as strict here as he was for the Hatton fight. Hope Joe can put on a good show, I'm sure he will.

Bluemoon
April 19th, 2008, 6:18 PM
Harrison on the undercard, hope I don't fall asleep watching it.

Hlebsfall
April 19th, 2008, 6:21 PM
I hope he gets knocked out for a change. The big useless prick.

The Rosk
April 19th, 2008, 8:27 PM
I have played roughly around seven hours of beer pong today lads; TAPAS lunch then pub golf then poing. ALRIGHT?

COMe ON JOE for fuck's skae.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 8:42 PM
calm down THE ROSk.

In fact, Don't.

MON THE WELSH.

The Rosk
April 19th, 2008, 8:47 PM
Come round mine and watch it mate. I've got lager. Clapham South.

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 8:51 PM
I fucking will mate.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 9:05 PM
I've got it on now mate. PINOT GRIGIO ON TE GO.

classy bird me like.

COME ON THE AUDLEY.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 9:22 PM
this is just fucking target practice.

1_Pablo_Angel
April 19th, 2008, 9:30 PM
well that was shit.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 9:42 PM
cheers for the heads up about Setanta Broadand 1_P_A.

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 9:42 PM
Audley is a fucking jokey. I can understand him being a bit gunshy, but I dont think that he'll ever be able to compete on a top level.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 9:44 PM
I think he knows it now as well.

1_Pablo_Angel
April 19th, 2008, 9:51 PM
It was quite funny how all the pundits were just absolutely slating him afterwards.

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I doubt it. He's got a ridiculously thick head.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:08 PM
MON THE TOM JONES!

1_Pablo_Angel
April 19th, 2008, 10:08 PM
ahahaha GAY

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:09 PM
What the fuck is this bloke doing to the star spangled banner!!??

Worst. Anthem. Rendition. Ever.

Nice flat last note as well.

1_Pablo_Angel
April 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Not Tom Jones the yank bloke.

Where were the boos lads??

I refuse to job. Ever.
April 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Gave up on trying to get any sleep tonight so I've found myself a stream to get involved.

So pleased I missed Audley. He's not even fun to watch as a joke, he's an absolute excitement and charisma vacuum.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I wish Michael Buffer introduced me whenever I walked in somewhere.

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Am nervous as fuck here lads. Confident in Joe though, come on son.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM
God I love Britsh fans overseas.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
MON THE BUFFER!

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Not Tom Jones the yank bloke.

Where were the boos lads??

Thankfully absent. Its been claimed that Cortez was so harsh to Hatton because of how the fans booed the American anthenm.

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Fucking hell, Joe's going to have to work hard now.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM
ooof.

1_Pablo_Angel
April 19th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Thankfully absent. Its been claimed that Cortez was so harsh to Hatton because of how the fans booed the American anthenm.

Pretty fucking shit referee if that affected his performance.

SHITTING IT now...

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:25 PM
christ Joe's hands are so fucking quick it's unreal.

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I've got Hopkins 3 points up so far. Calzaghe needs to adjust to him and start reeling him in.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Hopkins rght hand up close is getting a bit dirty.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Calzaghe's round.

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Calzaghe's round again. Its hard to view this with the eye of American judges. I'd say that Joe needs to keep outworking Hopkins for the rest of the fight to get the decision. I do think that he's starting to get the rhythm now though.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM
It looks like Joe's starting to feel it.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Ropes saved Hopkins again there.

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I'd have it level now. Joe needs to win the rest of them to take it out of the judges hands though. He needs a few clear hits.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:44 PM
GO ON ENZO YA CRAZY WELSH BASTARD!

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I'd have Calzaghe one up at the moment, just.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:56 PM
He needs to knock him out.

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Hopkins having a nice breather here.

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 10:57 PM
That wiggle was one of the greatest things I have ever seen in a boxing ring.

Gyoza
April 19th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Look at the BBC live update thing they've got. Are you lot watching the same fight as them?

I refuse to job. Ever.
April 19th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Do or die now for Calzaghe. If he doesn't knock him out now, Hopkins has got it in the bag.

Can't see it though. :(

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I've got Calzaghe by one or two. Depends on the judges though. I'd like to think that they'll favour his aggression over the hometown decision, but I doubt it.

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I have Calzaghe by 2 points, so no doubt it'll go down as Hopkins by a wide unanimous decision.

I refuse to job. Ever.
April 19th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I'm gonna say Hopkins on split decision. I've got Hopkins ahead by a point, but I'm hoping, like you say, that at least one of the judges takes his aggression into account.

I refuse to job. Ever.
April 19th, 2008, 11:11 PM
C'mon...

I refuse to job. Ever.
April 19th, 2008, 11:11 PM
FUCK YES!!!!!!!

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM
YES! In reality you could probably add another round on for Calzaghe to those scores, in fairness you should take a point off Hopkins too for ridiculously constant foul.

1_Pablo_Angel
April 19th, 2008, 11:13 PM
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

The Rosk
April 19th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I woke up the neighbours when the third score was called out. 116-111 was beyond belief.

I had it 115-113.

The Rosk
April 19th, 2008, 11:17 PM
BUT COME THE FUCKONNAGSHAGSHGAGHSHGA

I refuse to job. Ever.
April 19th, 2008, 11:18 PM
"I would never let a white boy beat me"

"You can print that. I would never lose to a white person. He said on record that he's going to take the fight and that's all you need to hear."

Can't say that I haven't taken this into account in wanting to see Hopkins lose.

I thought Joe had it in the sense that he looked like he was pro-actively trying to take the fight to Hopkins, whereas Hopkins looked happier to soak it up and hit the odd counter.

I did think that Hopkins was going to take the win, but I'm delighted for Joe.

Can't imagine Hopkins is going to be gracious in defeat here...

The Rosk
April 19th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Fuck off Hopkins you sore loser cunt. Seriously now. You are a fucking arsehole. Just give Joe his due you twat.

JIJ
April 19th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I was watching the fight on HBO and they pretty much sided with Calzaghe the whole fight.

Were the Setanta commentators saying Hopkins should've won or something?

Glen
April 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM
I'm not convinced.

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I was watching the fight on HBO and they pretty much sided with Calzaghe the whole fight.

Were the Setanta commentators saying Hopkins should've won or something?

They had it close. Joe by 2 mostly.

Winkle van Tinkle
April 19th, 2008, 11:31 PM
FUCK OFF B-HOP AND YOUR FUCKING CUNT. NEVER LOSE TO A WHITE BOY AGHGSHASGHSGA.

WHOOOOOOOOO!!!

Was anyone else still unsure when he said "The Winner...from Newbridge.."

Me: :confused:

Buffer: Wales

Me: :hyper:

The Rosk
April 19th, 2008, 11:31 PM
No mate. Joe Calzaghe comes from Newbridge.

Winkle van Tinkle
April 19th, 2008, 11:32 PM
B-Hop was born on New Bridge Street, Ghettotown USA

he's been to prison you know!!

JIJ
April 19th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I thought Calzaghe was pretty comfortable throughout.

JIJ
April 19th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I scored it as follows:

114-113 Hopkins
115-112 Calzaghe
116-111 Calzaghe

I had Calzaghe down to win by split decision.

Winkle van Tinkle
April 19th, 2008, 11:34 PM
From round 4'ish I thought he was. Took a while to recover, and start throwing normally after the knock down. WARY.

1_Pablo_Angel
April 19th, 2008, 11:35 PM
FUCK OFF B-HOP AND YOUR FUCKING CUNT. NEVER LOSE TO A WHITE BOY AGHGSHASGHSGA.

WHOOOOOOOOO!!!

Was anyone else still unsure when he said "The Winner...from Newbridge.."

Me: :confused:

Buffer: Wales

Me: :hyper:

Exactly the reaction of my housemate.

It's a good job I've followed Joe since he first set foot in the ring :shifty:

1_Pablo_Angel
April 19th, 2008, 11:36 PM
COME ON VILLA TOMORROW FOR THE PERFECT WEEKEND

1_Pablo_Angel
April 19th, 2008, 11:37 PM
This is why it's so satisfying, all the yank fighters are big cocky arrogant twatty cunts, our lads show a nice bit of humility. In victory and defeat.

Fucking nice one Joe.

The Rosk
April 19th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I'll see you in the ground Andy.

Hulkamaniac
April 19th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I scored it as follows:

114-113 Hopkins
115-112 Calzaghe
116-111 Calzaghe

I had Calzaghe down to win by split decision.

ahahaha, I like how you score all three judges.

JIJ
April 19th, 2008, 11:39 PM
:D

1_Pablo_Angel
April 20th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Classic JIJ post-event betting prediction there ;)

Hlebsfall
April 20th, 2008, 5:00 AM
Bloody hell, good job Joe, had to work for it there.

As I was watching it on some dodgy Polish channel on my foreign satellite dish, I didn't have any commentators swaying my point scoring, so I was left to my own devices to judge who was winning.

In the eleventh, I stuck on 5 Live, and was surprised to hear that every commentator had Hopkins ahead by a couple of rounds, even DUKE THE DUKE MCKENZIE.

I thought, aside from those first couple of rounds, Joe's aggression throughout was enough to win it by a couple, as Hopkins dancing on the outside throwing a few quality shots each round wasn't enough to win it for me.

The scorers are even told, if a round is too tight to call, give it to the boxer who is trying to make the fight, something Calzaghe was doing throughout. All in all, WELL PLAYED JOE.

wardy
April 20th, 2008, 5:44 AM
I know nothing about boxing, but I thought Hopkins had taken the win there. Chuffed when Joe won though. Liked how the interviewer basically pulled Hopkins up for pretending he got hit in the balls. Silly old bastard.

And Cuncha, I wasn't sure about Newbridge either. Thought he was going to say NEWBRIDGE, CALIFORNIA or something. I have no idea whereabouts in America Hopkins is from beofre someone mentions it.

Ringo
April 20th, 2008, 6:00 AM
Just watched this now because I was tired as fuck last night. Didn't know the result so I also let out a massive YEEEESSS when Buffer announced NEEEW BRIDGE, WALES. I felt like a right gimp knowing I was watching a good 5/6 hours after it actually happened.

Brilliant. And Hopkins is a cunt. The wiggle was amazing.

:lol: Stallone getting all pissy.

1_Pablo_Angel
April 20th, 2008, 6:03 AM
I dont think there are many, if any sports that can beat the tension of waiting for the result of a split decision at the end of a tense fight. Absolutely brilliant.

Although I am regretting staying up a bit now, the beer's not going down too well at all :$

Bad Collin
April 20th, 2008, 7:00 AM
That was great, I had fiver on Joe in the eleventh so I was going mental when Hopkins looked a bit ropey in that round, annoying bastard stayed on his feet though.

I thought Calzaghe was the clear winner, Hopkins hit him with a lucky shot in the first and then he looked like he didn't want to fight. Some of Joe's flurries were breathtaking.

Harrison is hilarious.

Chris Scott
April 20th, 2008, 8:36 AM
Great night in the local pub.

The fight was close for 6 rounds ala Calzaghe/kessler, but after that, Joe pick up the pace and won 5 of the last 6.

Hopkins fought a dirty fight and showed the type of fight that will give Calzaghe issues, his right hand landed on the target and he proved to still be the best fighter against south paws in the modern era.

He can take a lot away from this performance but ultimately going in, he needed to know that he had to punch as much as Joe to ever have a chance in the fight.

Joe showed a lot of composure and heart to come back after the initial knock down and start breaking Bernard's style down to the point that for the majority of the fight, he made Bernard's right hand a non-eventer.

I think if Bernard was being true to himself after watching this fight, he would realize he simply lost to the better man, his fight plan was perfect, he knew the things he had to do to beat Joe Calzaghe and this showed for the first two to three rounds where he upset Joe's timing and kept breaking up his rhythm... ultimately Joe was able to adapt and you have to give him credit for that

Joe adapted, started catching Hopkin's as Hopkins came forward behind the right and also held his own in clinches.

I thought Joe would've had an easier night if he let Hopkins lead more, ultimately this is where he was having the most success.

Very few boxers could have done what Hopkins did in there against Calzaghe and Calzaghe was still able to overcome it.

Also Hopkins was bang out of order in his interview and should have give Joe the credit he deserved.

Hlebsfall
April 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Copy of the scorecard for those interested.

http://alsat.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77508&d=1208706118

Chris Scott
April 20th, 2008, 1:13 PM
Calzaghe Raping Hopkins

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/chris-h-/JoeRapingHopkins.gif

Bluemoon
April 20th, 2008, 3:19 PM
:lol: I forgot Joe did that until now.

Great win for Joe, not much to say that's not already been covered.

My view was Calzaghe threw more punches, landed more and with higher accuracy. He pressed the action more and was the ring general, no way did Hopkins win. Yes he landed a few nice rights but that was it.

I had it Calzaghe 8 to 4 rounds .

As for the Ref Cortez, how can he claim to be "fair but firm". Hopkins was a nut hugger, he fouled throughout the fight and he didn't do crap about it. The blatant headbutts were unnoticed and unlike the Hatton/Mayweather where Hatton couldn't even hold for 2 secs, he let hopkins hold the whole fight without a warning. I didn't know if Hopkins wanted to dance or fight, he just wanted to be close to Joe.

Also the fight was awful last night, both there styles just clash too much, no rematch please.

Bluemoon
April 20th, 2008, 3:39 PM
That was great, I had fiver on Joe in the eleventh so I was going mental when Hopkins looked a bit ropey in that round, annoying bastard stayed on his feet though.

Hahahaha unlucky.

Bad Collin
April 20th, 2008, 5:23 PM
Hahahaha unlucky.

It was worse for my mate, he had £10 on Hopkins via Split decision.

UK Blue
April 21st, 2008, 7:14 PM
I'll need to watch the fight again cos it's all a bit of a blur, but I remember having Joe down as winning by about two rounds. But once the final bell rang I didn't think there was any chance in hell that they'd actually give him the decision. I went fucking mental when his name as announced.

The fight went kind of how I expected. Hopkins has proved he is awkward to box against, and he's only been stopped once in his career over fifteen years ago, so I never really thought Calzaghe would knock him out. Hopkins is right in saying Joe never actually hurt him, but I thought he deserved the points win for the way he recovered from the disasterous first round, threw and landed the most shots and continued to be the aggressor throughout the fight. Not a great performance but he showed plenty of guts and stamina against a really tough opponent.

Also saw this on the BBC website today.

"Joe to win on points. I have my manliness AND my house keys on it. Help.."

The Rosk via text on 81111

Sounds worrying. Very worrying...

Nevermind
April 21st, 2008, 9:47 PM
Decent fight, but I wasn't impressed by neither of them. It might be the "very effective" defensive (dirty) style of Hopkins, but Calzaghe's punches looked week. I still had him winning by 2 points.

I can't wait for Lucian Bute to fight any of those "top" guys.

The Rosk
April 22nd, 2008, 5:38 AM
Quote:
"Joe to win on points. I have my manliness AND my house keys on it. Help.."

The Rosk via text on 81111

Sounds worrying. Very worrying...

Hahaha, I was fucked when I sent that in.

Hulkamaniac
April 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Decent fight, but I wasn't impressed by neither of them. It might be the "very effective" defensive (dirty) style of Hopkins, but Calzaghe's punches looked week. I still had him winning by 2 points.

I can't wait for Lucian Bute to fight any of those "top" guys.

Bute will not EVEr fight Calzaghe. He's not in his league.

He'll also probably end up getting knocked out by Froch.

Nevermind
April 22nd, 2008, 1:01 PM
If Calzaghe doesn't want to end his career with a lost, he will :

1) Fight Roy Jones Jr
2) Fight Bute
3) Fight someone else he can beat

Hulkamaniac
April 22nd, 2008, 3:19 PM
There is literally no chance he'll fight Bute. Lucian isnt even on his radar.

Bluemoon
April 22nd, 2008, 3:22 PM
I'm hoping it's Roy Jones in Cardiff his last ever fight.

UK Blue
April 22nd, 2008, 4:25 PM
Pavlik in the US then Jones in Cardiff would be fucking ideal. There's really no-one else about in that weight range who particularly excites me. I don't care much for Tarver, Dawson, Wright or Taylor. A Kessler rematch would probably be next on my wish list.

Bluemoon
April 22nd, 2008, 4:29 PM
I think Pavlik may cause him trouble being younger, I think it would be a good fight.

UK Blue
April 22nd, 2008, 4:40 PM
Calzaghe's a naturally bigger guy, is a better boxer and has a great chin. I think he'd come through it comfortably to be honest. Plus Pavlik's style would make it a much more exciting fight than Saturday. In terms of proving himself in the US it'd be a better fight for him than the likely Jones fight. Wouldn't make as many £'s though.

I honestly think Joe would beat anyone who he could realistically meet right now. That's not to say I think he'd beat Roy Jones 5-10 years ago, or even necessarily Hopkins back then. Unfortunately we'll never know for sure.

Hulkamaniac
April 22nd, 2008, 4:42 PM
Pavlik vs Calzaghe would be similar to Lacy vs Calzaghe, exactly why I want him to take the fight and then Jones afterwards.

Bluemoon
April 22nd, 2008, 4:45 PM
Yeah but lets be honest if he got beat it wouldn't be how Lacy did.

Anyway I think Joe will only have 1 fight now and no doubt he will go for big money against Roy Jones in Wales.

By the way Mik do you post on Boxing scene, I have seen your name on there?

Hulkamaniac
April 22nd, 2008, 4:48 PM
I do indeed my friend.

Bluemoon
April 22nd, 2008, 4:52 PM

Thought so :yes:

UK Blue
April 22nd, 2008, 4:55 PM
I don't think Pavlik could possibly do as little as Lacy did in that fight, but so long as Calzaghe could reach that level of performance again, he'd win. No doubt about it. I can understand why he wouldn't want to take the fight on though. Too much risk, not enough reward. He's clearly desperate to finish undefeated, and age is bound to catch up with him at some point.

Hulkamaniac
April 22nd, 2008, 6:29 PM
Pavlik is as open to Calzaghe's strengths as Lacy was though, he probably just doesnt have the chin and the natural comfort of Lacy at that weight. He'd look very bad and make Calzaghe look very good.

Those of us who were panning watching the Setanta screening of this fight should watch the American version, they are so confident of how Calzaghe is performing that the result would never have been in doubt for us:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_ce00XMjQ4MDExOTY=.html

Chris Scott
May 4th, 2008, 9:48 AM
Yeah thanks for that Mik, I was wondering on how the Americans had it.

So last night Oscar De La Hoya easily out boxed Steve "2 Pound" Forbes, but Forbes can be proud of himself.

Oscar looks good and comfortable at 150 he is a natural welter, good 12 rounds workout for him.

Mayweather next then.

Hulkamaniac
May 10th, 2008, 6:27 PM
Dreadful work from Junior Witter there. Deserved to lose there. And people had the audacity to suggest that he would be able to beat Hatton. I dont think that match-up will ever be mentioned again.

Fanny Batter
May 10th, 2008, 6:36 PM
I don't think he can call out Hatton again, since he just lost to Kris Akabussi.

Hulkamaniac
May 10th, 2008, 7:03 PM
Better from Froch, but against a completely limited fighter...admittedly, with a great chin.

I'd be interested to see him against Kessler. Froch has an excellent attack, very powerful and unorthodox, but I've never seen him against a truly decent fighter and Kessler is very good all around.

Hlebsfall
May 11th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Glad Witter lost, the smarmy little prick. He got rinsed.

That bloke Froch beat had the biggest head I've ever seen.

Chris Scott
May 16th, 2008, 5:36 PM
Finally watched the Witter fight in full, one of the worst boxing performances I have seen in a long time, how one of the judges give the fight to Witter I will never know. In fact Bradley should of won by UD.

Come on Hatton next week show us how it's done.

Chris Scott
May 18th, 2008, 2:21 PM
Welterweight titleholder Miguel Cotto will face Antonio Margarito on July 26 in an HBO PPV bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas now that both have signed for the much-anticipated fight, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Thursday.

"I get really excited about a fight like this because I know it can't be anything but great," Arum said. "That's why we're calling it 'The Battle.' It's a tough-ass fight. Two real men fighting. There won't be any playing around. No ducking or dodging. These are two guys who will go at it. That is their style. And don't forget the element that it is Mexico vs. Puerto Rico, which is the great rivalry in boxing."

Enough said :hyper:

UK Blue
May 18th, 2008, 5:46 PM
That'll be bloody brilliant. Hopefully the winner will get a crack at Mayweather before the years out.

Bad Collin
May 19th, 2008, 6:48 PM
Less than a week until I go to Manc land and watch Ricky :hyper:

Bluemoon
May 20th, 2008, 5:10 PM
Less than a week before I make the 10 minuted trip to watch Ricky :p

Torn
May 20th, 2008, 7:34 PM
Less than a week before I watch Ricky on TV.

UK Blue
May 20th, 2008, 7:59 PM
Less than a week before I'm a tight bastard and watch Ricky via a stream.

Torn
May 20th, 2008, 8:01 PM
Actually I think I'll be watching on stream too.

UK Blue
May 20th, 2008, 8:12 PM
I just don't like the thought of spending £15 on a fight that might only last a few rounds. I'm not too familiar with Juan Lazcano but he's clearly a tune up fight for Hatton, one that they know he has no chance of losing. I'm not particularly fussed about watching Paul "The Magic Man" Malignaggi on the undercard.

Logic says it'll be over before the sixth, but we'll see. I might order it if I can get others to chip in with me.

Torn
May 24th, 2008, 7:50 PM
GO ON RICKY.

UK Blue
May 25th, 2008, 2:18 AM
Good nights work for Ricky. Result never in doubt, Lazcano did well lasting the 12. He's got a good chin but he wasn't dangerous. That's why he was handpicked in the first place. Hatton looked good in there though, it was a nice fight to get behind him going into the Malignaggi fight at MSG. Based on their performances tonight Hatton should beat him easily too, but Malignaggi is better than he showed earlier. Ricky will beat him though. Manny Pacquaio after that please.

Hulkamaniac
May 25th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Last night evidences why Ricky is a superb champion at LWW, but would never make it in the WW division and would likely be lucky to ever defeat Mayweather. His defense is simply not good enough.

Bad Collin
May 26th, 2008, 4:20 PM
That was an amazing experience, we could see an huge amount from where we were but the atmosphere was cracking.