PDA

View Full Version : Dexter

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Wedge
December 18th, 2006, 12:01 AM
First season in the books.

And holy shit.

I don't care if I know what happens, I am getting the book.

Dan The Man
December 18th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Oh look at me, I have Showtime so I get to watch acclaimed television seriesisessies.

I've still got to watch The Wire and Weeds; stop adding to the list.

EDIT: For clarification, I'm fully aware The Wire is on HBO. I don't get that in the dorm either.

Wedge
December 18th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Your dorm doesn't have any premium channels? Mine had at least HBO. Bummer.

Sorry to add to your list, but it was really awesome.

Alf
December 18th, 2006, 4:41 PM
I've heard good things about this series. I might have to add it to the growing list of incredible american dramas to download.

Simon
March 26th, 2007, 8:17 PM
Just started watching this. So far, it is fucking brilliant.

Wedge
March 26th, 2007, 8:20 PM
It sags somewhat near the end of the first half, but then it picks up again in to awesomocity.

Simon
March 26th, 2007, 8:24 PM
I'm watching it off TVLinks, which only has 12 episodes...is that all there is? I thought US seasons were usually 24 episodes :dunno:

Wedge
March 26th, 2007, 8:26 PM
12 sounds about right. It wasn't a normal TV broadcast, it was a premium channel show (like The Sopranos, and Six Feet Under, etc).

Killswitch
March 26th, 2007, 8:33 PM
I actually watched this entire series (via torrent) while I was vacationing in Miami/Key West. It was a complete coincidence that I heard of this show while I was there, and after I watched the first episode I was completely hooked. Fucking brilliant show. Watching it in Miami made me realize how vividly it captured the South Beach 'vibe'. Michael C. Hall is one of my favorite TV actors at the moment, and besides him the supporting cast is superb. The story itself is obviously awesome; I can't wait till the next season.

Thrilled that a thread was made for it :yes:

Wedge
March 26th, 2007, 8:40 PM
Yeah, too bad I made the thread nearly 4 and half months ago. :D

Killswitch
March 26th, 2007, 8:56 PM
Blah. Glad it was bumped, then.

diolana
March 27th, 2007, 1:41 PM
i can't wait for the new season to start! this show is awesome!

Jay
August 15th, 2007, 4:55 PM
Anyone else watching this in the UK at the moment? I meant to start watching when it first started, but I didn't get round to it. FX had a catch up on Saturday night, though, showing episodes one to five, so I'm up to date now. It's really, really good. I like it more and more with each episode.

KorruptJustice
August 15th, 2007, 5:17 PM
I actually meant to bump this thread a few weeks ago, but I forgot all about it. When I bought Zodiac at Wal-Mart, it came with a bonus disc that has the first two episodes of Dexter on it. I'd heard of the show before, and was really interested in seeing it, so I was excited about this. I watched both of those episodes before I even got to the movie, and I was blown away. So blown away, in fact, that I almost immediately went and picked up the book that the show was based on, Darkly Dreaming Dexter, as well as it's sequel, Dearly Devoted Dexter. Needless to say, I'll be getting the season 1 DVD set the day it comes out (August 21st, I believe), and would highly recommend this show to anyone else as well.

Wedge
August 15th, 2007, 5:55 PM
Oh yeah, I just finished up the book, picked it up for my vacation. I like how the book was actually pretty damn short and the series fleshed it out a thousand fold (the stuff with Rita, extra "victims of the week" for Dex, more Deborah/LaGuerta political stuff, more Doakes, Angel's side story). Though...wasn't Angel a detective in the series, not the ME like the book?

kaiken
August 15th, 2007, 8:04 PM
Apparently, there are leaks of the first two episodes of season two all around. And, ahem, from what I've heard, they're excellent.

Dodgy Browne
August 16th, 2007, 3:49 AM
I'm amazed how I read this whole thread and still have no clue what the hell Dexter is about.
Anyone care to inform?

KorruptJustice
August 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I'm amazed how I read this whole thread and still have no clue what the hell Dexter is about. Anyone care to inform?

Dexter is about Dexter Morgan, a blood spatter analyst for the Miami police, who also happens to be a sociopathic serial killer. However, he follows "the code of Harry" a set of rules taught to him by his foster father, a former cop, while Dexter was still young. Because of this code, he only kills people who deserve it, such as other serial killers, and also does his best to blend in with other people (for example, having a relationship) in order to prevent people from realizing what he is.

The first season (from what I've heard and going by the book), is about the investigation of a new serial killer, and Dexter being torn between watching the serial killer continue his work, catching the serial killer himself and killing him, or helping his foster sister, Deb, a vice cop who wants to transfer to homicide, catch him.

Wedge
August 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Harry is his FOSTER father. Important distinction.

KorruptJustice
August 16th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Yep, you're right. My bad.

EDIT: Foster father, yeah. That's what I said. :p

Dodgy Browne
August 17th, 2007, 8:19 AM
The opening credits alone are great!

KorruptJustice
September 2nd, 2007, 2:24 AM
Just finished watching Season 1 after not being able to get around to watching it for awhile. It was simply amazing. There were a lot of things changed from the book, which normally is something that annoys me, but for the most part I thought all of the changes that were made were just as good, if not better, than what was written.

The last episode may be my favorite hour of television ever, especially the brief moment
when Dexter and Doakes fight near the shipping crate.
Really interested to see where this show goes in Season 2. Sucks that I don't have Showtime though, so I'm going to have to find a place to download it online.

Excel
September 4th, 2007, 6:01 PM
Just finished watching it myself, and GODDAMN how gripping did this get towards the end. I fucking LOVED it. Cant wait for season 2.

Nemesis
September 5th, 2007, 2:42 AM
I actually meant to bump this thread a few weeks ago, but I forgot all about it. When I bought Zodiac at Wal-Mart, it came with a bonus disc that has the first two episodes of Dexter on it.

My girlfriend bought the same deal. She brought it over this weekend, and it was excellent. And coincidentally, this last Friday I started getting Showtime for $5 a month with my cable provider for 6 months. I can't wait to see some new episodes.

Craig T. Nelson
September 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I haven't seen Dexter but The Wire is incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM

KorruptJustice
September 6th, 2007, 1:23 PM
I haven't seen Dexter but The Wire is incredible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQbsnSVM1zM

Then why not post that in The Wire thread? Or if there isn't one, why not make a Wire thread and then post it in there?:wtf:

chotliwala
September 13th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I just finished watching the first season and what an amazing show. I love shows that make you hate a character at the beginning and then make you want to see them succeed.

They kind of did it twice with La Guerta and the new Cuban chick the captain brought in at the end. And they even managed to do it the other way with making the captain seem like a huge dick at the end.

The only thing I'm worried about is how the second season will fare. I know with Veronica Mars the first season mystery was so ingrained in the character that the second season mystery didn't pack the same oomph that the first did.

Also
I totally called Rudy being the Ice Truck Killer after he and Deb had that brief interaction at Tucci's party.

And I don't want Dexter and Rita to break up. I kind of like how they use her to humanize him.

KorruptJustice
September 21st, 2007, 6:33 PM
Has anyone bought Dexter in the Dark yet? I got it when it came out on Tuesday, and just finished it. Kind of disapointing, to be honest. Definitely the worst of the three books.

I really think that the book suffers from the loss of Doaks. although he does make a couple of brief appearances, which leaves me hopeful that he may be a larger part in the fourth book. Also, the explanation of the Dark Passenger didn't really work for me.

I'm kinda bummed out, because after the first two books, and the TV show, I had really high expectations for the book. Hopefully the fourth one will be better (if there is one).

Wedge
October 16th, 2007, 8:52 AM
So far so good on Season 2. When Doakes catches Dexter at the NA meeting, which gives him the explanation he's been looking for on to why Dexter sneaks around and why he's a bit off, that was an awesome scene. Dexter realizing just how good the situation turned out for him and "joining in" with the clapping as a result was sublimely done.

Excel
October 16th, 2007, 2:11 PM
I fucking LOVED that. Doakes' smile when he is reavealed in the doorway got me thinking "oh shit, he heard all that" and I thought that now he had something on Dexter. Then within just a couple of seconds, the whole thing turned, and we realised that Doakes now thinks he's found whats really up with Dexter was like, GENIOUS. And Doakes even seemed to mellow on Dexter, like he was sympathising with him. Great stuff.

Im not sure I like where we are going with Rita though, like she is going to become jealous. I dont want to see this turned into a soap. But I have great faith in the writiers as theyve provided us with fantastic stuff thusfar and fully expect it to continue.

KorruptJustice
October 27th, 2007, 5:59 PM
Just spent the afternoon getting caught up on Season 2 of Dexter. I think episode 3 may be my favorite episode of the series yet. Probably the only one that I would put above it is the season one finale. The ending of episode 4 was good and I can't wait to download the next one.

There's only been a couple of problems with season 2 so far. The first is the fact that the actor who played Cody has changed. I always hate it when they do this on a show. The second is the Pascal character. I can't stand her, so I really hope that she's off the show now that she's no longer in charge of homicide. The only other problem with me was that Angel was really annoying the first couple of episodes, but I really thought that he was awesome in episode 4.

Am I the only one that thinks that Doakes is the greatest character on this show (besides Dexter, of course)? That's probably the one thing about the ending of episode 3 I didn't like, just because it meant that Doakes wouldn't be following Dexter around anymore.

Wedge
October 28th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Don't worry, I'm sure something will re-pique Doake's instincts in Dexter. The dynamic just isn't the same.

However, I have this feeling that even if Dexter is under suspicion, Doakes will also be because of his past, in the BHB investigation.

Pipkin
October 29th, 2007, 8:00 PM
Do any of you guys know where I can watch Dexter online? I had been watching season 2 on youtube but they had to take them down. I can't find the season 2 episodes anywhere.

Nemesis
October 31st, 2007, 4:50 AM
My girlfriend recently bought Season 1, and this show is way too addictive. It's just crazy how the show can make you laugh seeing a serial killer try to understand (and fake) the emotions and ideals of a normal person. I mean, humor isn't really a huge part of the show, but a few of the situations that Dexter has been in are absolutely hilarious.

I also like how, as previously mentioned, you can go from feeling indifferent toward Dexter at the beginning, or outright disliking him. But as the show progresses, you eventually find yourself cheering him on.

Excellent show.

Excel
October 31st, 2007, 12:28 PM
The latest episode was incredible. Dexters rage is terrifying considering we always see him so calm. Really loved it.

Morrison
November 10th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Do any of you guys know where I can watch Dexter online? I had been watching season 2 on youtube but they had to take them down. I can't find the season 2 episodes anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chailattejustea

That guy has every single episode uploaded in excellent quality.

I don't know whether Showtime is having an extended preview or something, but about two weeks ago I just happened to find out that I get one Showtime channel. Having heard a lot about Dexter, and wanting to check is out for awhile now, I watched a few of the season two episodes and got hooked. Went and bought the season one set two days ago and breezed through the entire thing, and am now catching up on the season two episodes I missed. The show is intoxicating. As soon as I finish one episode, I immediately crave another. Even after spending fifteen hours in the last two days watching this series, I want more and more. I've never been so entranced by a television show. Not even The Sopranos had me like this.

Wedge
November 12th, 2007, 6:35 PM
Oh man, Dexter made Doakes his bitch last night. That was awesome. He tells Doakes he'll never get him because he's always one step ahead of him, basically telling him what he's about to do, and then gets Doakes looking like a complete unhinged psycho in front of the entire department.

Slim Shady
November 12th, 2007, 7:32 PM
holy shit, this show is gettin intense. each week, dexter is just gettin more psycho. i love it.

lila turning into a crazy person is fun too. fuckin smokin hot, that lady is.

Excel
November 14th, 2007, 4:11 AM
That was some major mental shit right there. What Dexter did to Doakes had me literally cheering for him! Immense!

All this time I thought Lila aas a good'un, but I guess not.

Loved the symbolism at the end when Dexter notices the lightbulb has been fixed, and he thinks back to how Lila always takes things into her own hands to get what she wants. Makes you wonder if he has her figured out already.

I also marked out for Deborah saying Clusterfuck!

KorruptJustice
November 30th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Just watched episode 9 last night. Loved the Dexter/Doakes confrontation.

"Jesus Christ!"
"You said that already."

I'm really looking forward to the last 3 episodes of this season.

Beer-Belly
November 30th, 2007, 6:09 PM
I hate Deb with all of my being. A shit character on an amazing show.

Anyone else agree that they are spending entirely too much time on Deb and ol' Inspector Saggy Balls?

Wedge
November 30th, 2007, 6:42 PM
They're trying to translate an aspect of the second book.

And at least you recognize that it's the character who is annoying, though I hope you realize that it's written that way. That's who she is in the books, too. A loud mouth over bearing overcompensating pain in the neck.

Bits
December 1st, 2007, 1:58 AM
Recently started watching this, and now fully up to date. Absolutely phenomenal show. I love everything about it, just brilliantly put together.

The last episode was great, the confrontation between Doakes and Dexter at the end was really intense, can't wait to see where it goes. Going to seek out the books soonish, especially after hearing they differ a bit from the show so it's not like I'll just be re-reading stuff I already know.

I have to say I've never really disliked Deb, I've actually quite liked her story in this season, seeing her get back on her feet after what she went through.

The Doc
December 1st, 2007, 2:55 AM
Yeah I have to ditto that I really like Deb most of the time. I was 110% behind her when she was telling Dex he fucked up by cheating (details aside).

Excel
December 1st, 2007, 6:43 AM
I fucking hated her when she was riding Dexters nuts about cheating. Dexter wasnt in the right as such (he wasnt open with Rita, but as a serial killer, how could he be), but he never cheated on her, so fuck deb.

I do like her most of the time though, I just cant decide whether she's hot or not, sometimes she is, sometimes she isnt.

At the end of the episode before last, when Doakes first uncovers the slides, I called it right away that he would end up being the suspect in the Buther case.

About the books, the first one was good if you could get past the poor way its written. Unfortunately in all of them, Dexter comes off as an eccentric wordsworth, and doesn't seem anywhere near as real as he does in the show. I also found the second and third books dealt entirely too much with other bullshit, and "the bad guy" wasn't given nearly enough in the books, only getting a final climactic scene which is over way too quickly and easily.

And also the third book especially has way too much of a bullshit supernatural element. What Makes the show os great is the way Dexter is so grounded in reality. That was thrown out of the window in the third book (and too a much lesser and more accepatble extent in the first book).

However I find the TV show to be flawless. Its by far the most gripping, nail-biting Show or Movie I've ever seen. Its so goddamn well written, and every character has a point. there are genuine laugh out loud moments.

Infact if there is one flaw with the show, its that some problems which are brought up towards the end of one episode, and make you think, "Damn, Dexter is fucked now!", are solved by the end of the very next episode, but soon after they are, another problem arises (think the video cameras at the harbour as an example). In some way that makes for great TV, but I find it happening a little too often. Still its the most minor of flaws.

I can safely say that here we have a screen version which is infinately better than the source material.

Wedge
December 1st, 2007, 10:22 AM
Yeah I have to ditto that I really like Deb most of the time. I was 110% behind her when she was telling Dex he fucked up by cheating (details aside).

I like her, too, but that's maybe because I know someone just like her. A girl who got mostly ignored by her father (but for completely different reasons, obviously) and who works in an industry that's mostly blue collar men. She has that same sort of over compensating potty mouth, and attention seeking behavior that Deb does.

I wasn't behind her 100% when she was reading Dexter the Riot Act, because she was partially in the wrong (the cheating thing...he didn't cheat), but ultimately since I pegged Lila as a nutjob she had a point that Rita didn't deserve what she got.

Excel
December 5th, 2007, 6:30 PM
So apparently the last two episodes have leaked online. Im downloading them now and will post again when I find out if they're legit. No spoilers ofcourse.

Wedge
December 5th, 2007, 9:13 PM
I already got the scoop. About what I expected at the conclusion of Sunday's episode.

Excel
December 5th, 2007, 9:18 PM
Leaked Episode 11 is genuine. Off to enjoy it now.

Beer-Belly
December 5th, 2007, 10:42 PM
They're trying to translate an aspect of the second book.

And at least you recognize that it's the character who is annoying, though I hope you realize that it's written that way. That's who she is in the books, too. A loud mouth over bearing overcompensating pain in the neck.

The actress isn't that great either. She also gets saddled with some of the weakest dialogue in the show.

Excel
December 5th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Ok, so I watched the final two episodes, and as usual, despite all the fears the writers give me that they will fuck it up, they still manage to deliver.

Lila was sicker than we thought possible by a fucking longshot. I mean seriously sick.

I ended up feeling really bad for Doakes in the end. He wasnt so bad, and felt really bad at his funeral. Still, better than the shit that happens to him in the books.

All in all i think the overused term "emotional rollercoaster" really is appropriate and sums up this series so well. I really hope for a third.

Its such a shame its on Showtime and FX in the UK, so few people will get to see the brilliance

Craig T. Nelson
December 5th, 2007, 11:07 PM
has he let his sister into the lab yet

Morrison
December 6th, 2007, 5:44 AM
Found the leaked episodes and downloaded them. Just couldn't possibly wait a week and a half for these.

Was really pulling for Doakes, on some level. To see him go out like that was tragic. I'll definitely miss his absence in any future seasons.

The amount of close-calls Dex gets into, and the way he's able to wriggle his way out of them, is astounding. In the last episode, when Deb, Lila and him are all in Lila's studio and she blurts out that she got some snack's for the road trip, I had to stop watching for a minute. After beating the wrap this whole season, regaining Rita and some form of balance in his life, the thought of it all going to shit again nearly gutted me.

Absolutely loved the postcard bit at the very end. As soon as they showed Lila hopping around Paris, I knew it was all a set-up for her kill.

Though I'm still wondering about why she called the captain. Was it to try and distract Dexter just so she could get the kids? It was supposed to be about the Butcher case, and she did have all his tools. What did she do with them? I fully expect those details to go unexplained, and frankly don't care enough about them to complain.

This is without a doubt my favorite show of all-time. I've never truly enjoyed a series this fully. I've loved every single episode of both seasons so much. I really hope this writers strike ends so the wait for a third season won't be as long.

And apparently the show may start to air on CBS to fill some holes left by the strike. I would imagine it'd be heavily cut and edited, which might hurt the overall image of the show. If they put out a bastardized version of the show, do you think it'd hurt the show in the future when aired on Showtime?

Wedge
December 6th, 2007, 7:35 AM
The actress isn't that great either. She also gets saddled with some of the weakest dialogue in the show.

Ever see the Exorcism of Emily Rose?

Excel
December 6th, 2007, 8:15 AM
The amount of close-calls Dex gets into, and the way he's able to wriggle his way out of them, is astounding. In the last episode, when Deb, Lila and him are all in Lila's studio and she blurts out that she got some snack's for the road trip, I had to stop watching for a minute. After beating the wrap this whole season, regaining Rita and some form of balance in his life, the thought of it all going to shit again nearly gutted me.

Have to agree, at that point i couldnt watch either, I left it playing but switched to Rajah instead because I just couldnt watch.

Wedge
December 6th, 2007, 9:15 AM
Dude, I fixed the spoiler tag in the quote for you. It was all open and viewable.

Excel
December 6th, 2007, 1:05 PM
Shit sorry. My Bad

Bits
December 6th, 2007, 4:19 PM
Just finished watching the last two eps of the season.

Have to agree with ya Excel, as much as it's overused 'emotional rollercoaster' is basically what this show is. Your rooting for and care about so many characters that it's hard to know what you want to happen. Just knowing Doakes couldn't stay alive was gutting cause he's such a brilliant character and not a bad guy at all. But then you don't want Dexter caught, cause well he's Dexter.

It really is astounding how many dead ends Dexter appeared to be in only for it to be turned around. When Lila showed up at the cabin I had no idea where it was going, and then we find out she's even more fucked up then we thought.

This really is one of the best shows on TV ever, every aspect is superbly well done.

VanillaJello
December 6th, 2007, 5:14 PM
Found the leaked episodes and downloaded them. Just couldn't possibly wait a week and a half for these.

And apparently the show may start to air on CBS to fill some holes left by the strike. I would imagine it'd be heavily cut and edited, which might hurt the overall image of the show. If they put out a bastardized version of the show, do you think it'd hurt the show in the future when aired on Showtime?

Just wanted to let you know, earlier this year, Comcast put every single episode of the first season of Dexter up on their inDemand service for free as a way to get people interested in the show.

The entire season was edited for broadcast TV and I still think it came off very well, minus the odd voice over masking a curse word every now and then.

Basically, Dexter would do fine on Broadcast TV, and I don't think it took too much away from the original unedited show.

Miotch
December 6th, 2007, 5:36 PM
The entire setup for Lila's and Deb's distain for each other would have to be cut. No tits for the audience. And what wonderful tits they are too.

agreenone03
December 7th, 2007, 11:33 AM
where might i find the final episode of dexter?

Wedge
December 9th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I don't care if I know what's going to happen, it's still awesome to watch. How good does that make the show?

Slash
December 10th, 2007, 10:17 AM
The entire setup for Lila's and Deb's distain for each other would have to be cut. No tits for the audience. And what wonderful tits they are too.

"Pardon my tits." Marvelous stuff. :yes:

Beer-Belly
December 10th, 2007, 6:06 PM
I threw up in my mouth when Deb called Lundey god. Terrible.

Excel
December 10th, 2007, 6:09 PM
Lundy is awesome.

I did NOT need to see his saggy white ass on the other hand.

Beer-Belly
December 10th, 2007, 8:23 PM
But Deb is the liquid shits. Especially since they dedicate so much time to her. I'm not sure what audience they think they are catering to.

Wedge
December 10th, 2007, 8:34 PM
I'm not gonna argue the point anymore with you, but the character is supposed to be an overbearing annoying pain in the ass. You either love her or hate her. And you hate her. Congrats, you have one of the two responses to a character of her type.

They are catering to the "she's an intregal part of the narrative" audience.

Surge
December 10th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Deb is swell. She's Dexter's sis, and he ultimately made the decision he did because he didn't want to break up her world again. I don't see what's bad about her character...

KorruptJustice
December 12th, 2007, 4:56 PM
Just watched episodes 11 and 12 today, and really enjoyed them, although not as much as the episodes at the end of the first season.

I have to admit, though, that although I pretty much knew that Doakes was going to be killed off, I'm dissapointed to see him go. He was definitely my favorite character, besides Dexter, and I really think that this show needs a character like him to keep Dexter on his toes. It really makes me wonder if there are going to be any new characters next season to fill that role.

Also, I am so glad that he killed Lila. At the end, when it showed her in Paris, I really wasn't expecting Dexter to show up. I almost thought it was going to be something along the lines of her continuing his work, and that eventually she would show back up in Dexter's life to try and either kill him again, or win him back, and I really had no interest in seeing her in any future episodes.

All in all, a really good way to end the season, although I wish there had been some hint at what direction Season 3 is going to take.

Excel
December 12th, 2007, 5:25 PM
All in all, a really good way to end the season, although I wish there had been some hint at what direction Season 3 is going to take.

There is, a tthe end of the first season there was "The Shoe" which lead to Dexter admitting he had an addiction, going into rehab and meeting Lila.

This season There is LaGuerta. Who no doubt will continue in her hunt to prove Doakes' innocence, and perhaps in doing so, risk uncovering Dexter

Always give this show the benefit of the doubt. If ever you feel like youre worried they are going to go in the wrong direction, you can be sure that they've never let you down in the past (atleast with the major story threads, though I have no complaints about any of it) and you can KNOW that they will give you what you want, and if they dont, it will be something better!

KorruptJustice
December 13th, 2007, 11:00 AM
This season There is LaGuerta. Who no doubt will continue in her hunt to prove Doakes' innocence, and perhaps in doing so, risk uncovering Dexter

Yeah, I suppose that's true. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see LaGuerta becoming that much of a threat to Dexter. The reason Doakes was so dangerous is that he sensed that something was off about Dexter, and he was smart and determined enough to eventually discover what it was. LaGuerta, although she has shown flashes of good policework, doesn't seem to be on Dexter's level. And besides, I'm really not sure that I want another season of Dexter being suspected of being a killer anyway. Eventually he's going to come under suspicion again, but for the third season, I see him being relatively in the clear.

Morrison
December 13th, 2007, 2:58 PM
Plus, during the last episode, LaGuerta seems to at least come to some sort of peace with Doakes being charged as the Bay Harbor Butcher during that conversation with Deb about the memorial service.

Excel
December 13th, 2007, 2:59 PM
Yeah, I suppose that's true. Maybe it's just me, but I just don't see LaGuerta becoming that much of a threat to Dexter. The reason Doakes was so dangerous is that he sensed that something was off about Dexter, and he was smart and determined enough to eventually discover what it was. LaGuerta, although she has shown flashes of good policework, doesn't seem to be on Dexter's level. And besides, I'm really not sure that I want another season of Dexter being suspected of being a killer anyway. Eventually he's going to come under suspicion again, but for the third season, I see him being relatively in the clear.

Agreed, it gets tiring watching him dodge people over and over again. The first season was much more relaxed, and maybe it should go back to that.

Nemesis
December 21st, 2007, 8:01 AM
I know I'm pretty far behind everyone (I've only just finished season 1), but I still can't believe how excellent this show is. Everything is masterfully done.

I just have a few questions (since I can't wait to find out myself):

-Has Doakes discovered outright that Dexter is a serial killer? Or is it only still suspected at this point?
-Are there any other important flashbacks in Dexter's childhood?
-Is the thing with Paul and Rita actually going anywhere?

Sorry, I just can't wait to see Season 2, and it seems impossible to see it chronologically until the DVD comes out.

Wedge
December 21st, 2007, 10:02 AM
I'm going to assume you don't want to be completely spoiled so I'll answer your questions as they stand at the beginning of Season 2:

1) At the end of 1/beginning of 2 Doakes still only strongly suspects that something is off with Dexter, but his suspicions are greatly aroused after the finale. He's taken to following Dexter everywhere.

2) Most definitely.

3) Oh, yes. Dexter's "removal" of Paul leads to pretty much the overlying story arc of the second season.

Bits
January 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Currently reading the first book. Just over half way through it.

I'd say it's not quite as good as the show, it's still very good though. Dexter seems to be a lot wittier in his narration in the book which I'm enjoying.

The show definetly did a great job of fleshing out and changing some things from the book as far as I can tell so far.

Billmatic
January 9th, 2008, 1:26 AM
I just ran through this show earlier this week. Probably the most addicting and entertaining show I've seen in quite some time.

and might I add that Jaime Murray is the best looking woman to ever walk the face of the earth.

VanillaJello
February 17th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Just a reminder... Dexter is currently running on CBS. Great time to catch the show if you're new to it as they're rerunning the first season on Sunday nights at 10.

RockOverBoston
March 7th, 2008, 1:06 AM
I'd always had HBO and not Showtime (so I'm clearly way behind this trend) and I'd always heard nothing but great things about Dexter but been warned by many friends not to bother watching the hatcheted-up versions of Dexter they're currently airing on CBS, so onto the Netflix list it went.

We're currently 8 episodes through the first season, and I absolutely love it, so much so that I'm actually debating running out right now, buying the DVDs and calling out of work in the morning.

I'll probably have more to say once I've viewed the full 1st season - I thought I had the Ice Truck Killer all figured out after something in the 4th episode, and for all I know, I still may, but you guys know the twists and turns that story has taken from there. We'll see. I'm totally hoping to be proven wrong, and I figure I will be.

My HBO shows are all disappearing - in fact, that's exactly how one of them finished. It's probably time to add Showtime, because I'm a huge fan of Weeds as well.

Bits
March 7th, 2008, 2:08 AM
Very odd that you bumped the thread just now, as I was looking this up literally 10 minutes ago to find out when Season 3 might be coming.

September is apparently when it'll be back.

Out of interest ROB what do you think you've figured out from the 4th ep? Obviously I won't tell you if you're onto something, just curious.

I never did finish the book. Someone mentioned that the supernatural aspect that's present in the book put them off a bit, and I'm inclined to agree. I don't mind supernatural stuff, quite the opposite in fact, but to me it just doesn't seem to fit and I'm glad it's missing from the show.

The Great Dave
March 7th, 2008, 9:22 AM
I adore this show. Watched the whole thing in about a week and a half straight. I was hoping the third season was coming sooner :(

RockOverBoston
March 7th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Out of interest ROB what do you think you've figured out from the 4th ep? Obviously I won't tell you if you're onto something, just curious.

Alright, as I've said, I'm pretty sure the core of my initial thought is in some way true, but the twists still offer up so many potential great payoffs.

Here goes, in tags regardless of the fact that it's just a theory -

I was fairly certain that Deb either was or was directly involved with the ITK and I was leaning pretty heavily toward it actually being her except the things that I picked up on that early on, normally consisting of her always being in the right place at the right time or the timing of some of the flashback scenes (coupled with the fact that she'd, as of then, be the only living being who'd know some of these details of Dexter's past), I felt were added specifically to give that impression and throw the viewer off the track. That all said, now that Dr. Hand McCreepball has been added to the mix (and has been revealed as Dexter's craigslist "Ken" and, apparantly, the ITK, it still stands to reason that at the very least, she's in some way a participant in the whole sick game, whether a willing one or not.

Side note -- a character apparantly as semi-loose as Deb with the whole "fuck the world and what they think, I'm just one of the guys" attitude would fall so hard so fast for, well, anyone, seems a bit off, but I've got all the faith in the world that this too will be explained.

Also, I don't dislike the Deb character as much as many of my friends and some of you seem to, as she's written in such a way that she's supposed to be somewhat dislikeable.

Excel
March 7th, 2008, 2:16 PM
ROB

Dr. Hand McCreepball was revealled as Dexters "Ken"? really?

The Great Dave
March 7th, 2008, 3:47 PM
I like Deb. Her hair requires it.

Bits
March 7th, 2008, 3:51 PM
Yeah, I think I said it before in this thread, but I am one of the ones who like Deb. She's meant to be annoying and such but for whatever reason I really like it.

I liked her in Season 2 especially.

Wedge
March 7th, 2008, 3:55 PM
Deb is awesome. People rail against the actress sometimes and it's like, don't hate her, she's playing the character almost exactly as she's written (though in the books, she's more "conventionally" hot). But she's an over compensating woman-in-a-man's-world character.

RockOverBoston
March 8th, 2008, 2:22 AM
It's Showtime free preview weekend. Every single fucking network they've got. Time to roll out the big guns and earn everyone's some bucks a month.

No Dexter, no Weeds.

What the fuck is that shit?

They did show "Babel" tonight, I guess, so that's something. Still, come on. When HBO does this, they're all "BAM! - have some Sopranos! BOOYAH! - The Wire cominatcha! POW! - Old School OZ right in your face! CRUNK! - Healthy dosage of Big Love (season 2, when it got good) all up in your business! ZINGO! - Deadwood in the 'hood!" -- and the hits just keep on coming!

Fuckin' Showtime and their mini-"The L Word" marathons.

Bad Obsession
March 15th, 2008, 3:08 PM
Just a warning for those who haven't gone through it all, there's spoilers here. I don't think tags are required since the seasons are well over but I don't want to ruin it.

I've had a very boring weekend and gone through both of the seasons since Thursday. I'm glad I have a fairly active social life most of the time or I'd have no shows left to watch on these boring weekends when I go at that rate.

Really digging it. I was saying to Bits as I was halfway through the first season how it didn't really grab me and I stand by that. Was a very slow burner and nothing really stood out to me that much. It built up the characters fairly well though so when the twist about Dexter's brother came around it made fantastic TV. I know that the doc was going to be the killer, it was blatant, but I didn't expect the swerve ball of him being Dexter's brother. The flashbacks and Dexter learning about the death of his mother was really the best parts of it. Seeing Harry train him up to be the killer was what kept me interested for the most part.

Season 2 was way, way better. Doakes investigating Dexter was just tremendous and I love how ambiguous it was in places. At times I wanted Dexter to chop up Doakes and then other times when I really wanted Doakes to put Dexter behind bars. I knew the latter was never going to happen, but still. The last few eps in the hut had some really, really strong scenes and I couldn't call a lot of it.
Then you have Jaime Murray who I absolutely loved in Hustle so it was great to have her on the cast. Going from such strong love to hate with her character was cracking fun. Even though it was obvious she was going to be mental from the start it was still a great ride to get there. She played the crazy bitch role so well. And has lovely tits. Really gutted Dexter killed her in the end as I'd love to see a return in the next season :(

So yeah, I'm definitely a fan now. Glad I stuck with the slow parts of the first season. :yes:

Also anyone who doesn't love Deb is officially mental.

Bits
July 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Season 3 Trailer. (http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/comic_con.do?source=m_dexter3_fb_0725_chatpage)

Can't fucking wait.

KorruptJustice
July 25th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Season 3 Trailer. (http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/comic_con.do?source=m_dexter3_fb_0725_chatpage)

Can't fucking wait.

I can't either. I recently reread the first two books, and found them as enjoyable as I did the first time, though not as good as the TV show. I might read the third one again as well, but honestly, that one was so shit that I doubt I'll read much of it.

It's gonna suck waiting for this season to start, but Dexter Season 2 is out on DVD next month, and that will definitely help with the wait.

EDIT: Not sure if it's a spoiler because Season 2 was on so long ago, but just in case:

I miss Doakes. He really was the best character on this show besides Dexter.

Beer-Belly
July 26th, 2008, 5:14 AM
I still hate Deb.

Seanny One Ball
August 6th, 2008, 8:19 AM
Dexter is the best thing on TV right now by a country mile.
Michael C Hall discovered how to act without looking pretentious. Brilliant.

RockOverBoston
August 6th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Dexter is the best thing on TV right now by a country mile.

Not sure I'd go quite that far. It's definitly in the Top 10, but that Top 10 is chock full of some pretty high quality television and is fairly interchangable.

Season 2 DVD rolls out in the States on the 19th, just in time to prep people for the new season. If memory serves, Showtime plans to run Dexter season 3 back-to-back with season 2 of "Californication", another show amongst the aforementioned Top 10. That'll make for a quality evening of TV.

Seanny One Ball
August 6th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Well I don't watch much television other than comedy shows and there aint too many long running comedy shows of great value in Britain. I usually spend my tv time on movies.

What should I be looking out for right now that's better than Dexter? Bear in mind I have Sky but I don't know if your shows correlate well with British telly schedules.

About Dexter itself, I'd quite like to get my hands on the books. I've heard talk of paranormal affairs in the third book which I don't much fancy but the first two sound braw.
Also, is it just me or is the woman who plays Lila in the second series a really bad actress? It can't just be her character, she has massive gums and I remain unconvinced.

Repo
August 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM
She isnt too bad in Hustle http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/hustle/

Seanny One Ball
August 6th, 2008, 11:55 AM
She's Johnny Allen's dawta

son_of_foley
August 6th, 2008, 12:05 PM
From Eastenders? Nah thats the wee young faced doll. Louisa something.

This woman did some Debenhams ads with some gimp off eastenders as well.

I don't mind her in this.

Bits
August 6th, 2008, 12:24 PM
He means she's the actors daughter not that she was in it, and she is.

I thought she was great in Dexter personally.

Bad Obsession
August 6th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Jaime Murray made season 2 so enjoyable for me. It was much better than the first to begin with but I adored her character so much. It's a shame that she won't be in season 3, I wish they didn't have that last minute kill of her. :( A return in a future season, even for a few episodes, would have been really cool.

I do love Hustle though so that probably has something to do with it.

RockOverBoston
August 6th, 2008, 12:49 PM
What should I be looking out for right now that's better than Dexter? Bear in mind I have Sky but I don't know if your shows correlate well with British telly schedules.

Again, not sure any of these are actually any better nor any worse than "Dexter" - my hypothetical Top 10 would probbly be completely interchangable depending mostly on what I felt like watching. As such, consider these suggestions on par with "Dexter" if nothing else...

"Mad Men" is currently the most hyped American television show in recent memory, and more than lives up to the hype. "Damages" should be as hyped as "Mad Men", and if the second season's even close to as good as the first, it unquestionably will be. "Breaking Bad" was pretty incredible, "Weeds" is probably my favorite comedy right now, followed closely behind by our version of "The Office". "The Wire" is probably the most underrated TV show in the history of television...and that statement includes the far-too-late critical hype it recieved and the glowing reviews of those who always loved it. "Brotherhood" is almost as underrated as The Wire, and almost as good as well. "Californication" will make you stop thinking about Duchovny as Fox Mulder altogether. No small feat, that. I'll use the 9th slot as an honorable mention for every FX show not previously mentioned ("Damages"), that hasn't gotten a bit ridiculous ("Nip/Tuck"), or that hasn't been awful from the jump ("Dirt"). I'm a big fan of "The Shield" myself, but "Rescue Me" and "The Riches" (at least the first season) also deserves an honorable mention.

"Dexter" makes 10.

You get the whole drug thing better than the average bear. If I'm you, I probably start with The Wire (which I'm gonna guess you already watch), Weeds and Breaking Bad.

Seanny One Ball
August 7th, 2008, 9:05 AM
I'm either missing Breaking Bad or it hasn't started over here yet because I was aware of it and really wanted to see Bryan Cranston back in action.
The plot sounds pretty crazy too, definately should check up on that one and see when it's on :yes:

I know The Wire has been/is on FX too so I should get to see all three of Dexter/Breaking Bad and The Wire with regularity.

Cheers.

son_of_foley
August 7th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Think it hasnt started on FX yet.

Breaking Bad that is.

Seanny One Ball
August 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I keep seeing trailers but I never pay attention to the starting date, it looks pretty cool though. I wonder if they give Cranston a chance to be funny in it :chin:

RockOverBoston
August 7th, 2008, 1:15 PM
He's funny on occasion, but this show couldn't be anything farther from "Malcolm"...it's very much not a comedy.

Seanny One Ball
August 7th, 2008, 3:37 PM
Yeah I read a little about the theme and it seems incredibly dark. Looks like there'd be a few opportunities for some laughs though.
I don't want to de-rail the Dexter discussion too far so is there a Breaking Bad thread?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard that Dexter the tv series wasn't staying fully faithful to the original novels, how far have they deviated bearing in mind I've only seen up to the episode where Dexter has battered Sanchez Jiminez or whatever his name is. The bloke who chainsawed his mother.

KorruptJustice
August 7th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Yeah I read a little about the theme and it seems incredibly dark. Looks like there'd be a few opportunities for some laughs though.
I don't want to de-rail the Dexter discussion too far so is there a Breaking Bad thread?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard that Dexter the tv series wasn't staying fully faithful to the original novels, how far have they deviated bearing in mind I've only seen up to the episode where Dexter has battered Sanchez Jiminez or whatever his name is. The bloke who chainsawed his mother.

There's very little, if anything, that season 2 of Dexter took from the books, other than Doakes' suspicion of Dexter.

Stuff that happened in Book 1 that's different from the show (obviously, if you don't want the books spoiled, don't read these):

LaGuerta is killed.
Dexter's brother gets away.
Debra finds out that Dexter is a serial killer.
The ending takes place in the shipping crate where Dexter's mother was killed (in the show it's where Doakes and Dexter have their brief fight).

Book 2:
Dexter discovers that Cody and Astor are sociopaths, just like him, and he decides to teach them the Code of Harry.
Dexter accidentally gets engaged to Rita.
Debra gets into a serious relationship with a guy who then gets partially chopped up by the main villain.
Doakes gets chopped up even worse, but also manages to survive.

Book 3 (I don't remember this one as well, since I've only read it once):
Apparently the thing that drives Dexter to kill is supernatural. :no:
Dexter begins training Cody and Astor.
Dexter marries Rita.

That's just a few of the major differences that I can recall off the top of my head. I'm sure someone else could list more.

Excel
August 9th, 2008, 3:01 PM
The books are good, but compared to the show, they are awful. I just cant stand Lindsays style of writing, but was willing to look past that because I love the characters. However, even Dexter himself is less palatable in the books. Unlike the show where he almost perfectly pulls off being normal (except in his relationship scenes with Rita), in the books he is strangely eccentric and just not as likable.

Also Korrupt, in your mentions of Book 2:
The man who Deb ends up with who gets his foot and hand cut off (I think) is somewhat similar to Agent Lundy, being that he was in charge of the investigation if I'm right

Book 2 bothered me because it seemed like the majority of it was just an attempt by the author to be as gruseome as possible and seemed like it was written by a student as part of his credit.

Book 3 bothered me because of its supernatural themes and because much of it is shown from the point of view of the Dark passenger, even before it became joined with Dexter. I didnt like that idea, I prefer the series being much more ingrained in psychology rather than the paranormal.

KorruptJustice
August 10th, 2008, 7:40 AM
The books are good, but compared to the show, they are awful. I just cant stand Lindsays style of writing, but was willing to look past that because I love the characters. However, even Dexter himself is less palatable in the books. Unlike the show where he almost perfectly pulls off being normal (except in his relationship scenes with Rita), in the books he is strangely eccentric and just not as likable.

While I do agree that Dexter is less palatable in the books, I kind of enjoy it that way more. In the TV show, there are times where it really seems like Dexter is displaying a lot of emotion for a sociopath, especially when it comes to Rita. In the show he does actually seem to care about her, whereas in the books he really is only using her for a disguise. Even to the point where he considers ending the relationship after the accidental engagement. The only reason he sticks around is to train the kids.

It just seems to me that in the show, they're giving you reasons to like Dexter, despite what he is, while in the book, he's very upfront about being an inhuman monster with few, if any, redeeming qualities, and we still end up liking him, even when we shouldn't.

Also Korrupt, in your mentions of Book 2:
The man who Deb ends up with who gets his foot and hand cut off (I think) is somewhat similar to Agent Lundy, being that he was in charge of the investigation if I'm right

True. I forgot about that point actually. So, any chance of Lundy being in Season 3? I know he left at the end of last year, but will he be back, even if its only for a single episode to visit Deb? I liked his character.

Book 2 bothered me because it seemed like the majority of it was just an attempt by the author to be as gruseome as possible and seemed like it was written by a student as part of his credit.

Book 3 bothered me because of its supernatural themes and because much of it is shown from the point of view of the Dark passenger, even before it became joined with Dexter. I didnt like that idea, I prefer the series being much more ingrained in psychology rather than the paranormal.

I didn't really have a problem with the gore in book 2, but I will say that I did prefer the first book to it. As for book 3, I agree completely. The paranormal stuff was garbage, and really dragged the book down. Hopefully book 4 will be better.

son_of_foley
August 11th, 2008, 4:46 AM
Im halfway through season 2. It really is a bit bloody good. Don't understand all the lyla hate. I like her.

The Doc
August 11th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I loved Lyla myself.

Seanny One Ball
August 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
She's all gums and bad acting, Johnny Allen is her dad.

TheGreatest
September 6th, 2008, 7:55 AM
season 3 episode 1 leaked.

Morrison
September 6th, 2008, 9:15 AM
season 3 episode 1 leaked.

It didn't leak. It was released in the box set for Brotherhood.

Excel
September 7th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Just gotten it. Fucking awesome! Dexter is back and is as great as ever. So glad I got to see this early, was killing me waiting for the end of the month.

Beer-Belly
September 17th, 2008, 4:50 PM
Eh, I don't know about that announcement at the end of the episode. Other than that, the show seems to be progressing in all the right ways.

Although, I still can't find it with in me to enjoy Deb at all.

son_of_foley
September 19th, 2008, 5:28 AM
She's one of the most annoying characters on tv

Seanny One Ball
September 26th, 2008, 7:38 AM
Deb might be a fairly annoying character but she was waaaaaaay better as both an actress and addition to the show than that annoying English piece with the big gums and average face.

Season finale ruled, Breaking Bad starts on Sunday!

son_of_foley
September 29th, 2008, 5:08 AM
When does season 3 start in America?

Bits
September 29th, 2008, 7:51 AM
Yesterday.

son_of_foley
September 29th, 2008, 9:16 AM
Hurrahs

Seanny One Ball
September 29th, 2008, 9:40 AM
I missed the first episode of Breaking Bad because some power generator outsidce my mates house started to explode.

Boooooo!

son_of_foley
September 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM
FX normally repeat these things on a tuesday or wednesday I think.

Beer-Belly
September 29th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Deb might be a fairly annoying character but she was waaaaaaay better as both an actress and addition to the show than that annoying English piece with the big gums and average face.

Season finale ruled, Breaking Bad starts on Sunday!

The Brit chick never bothered me. She served a purpose and the climax to that story was exciting. Deb just sucks and takes up too much screen time. The actress is mediocre and her character feels like the product of some shitty focus group. "Oh, she calls Dexter a dildo and acts like a slut, this is a girl you DON'T want to bring home to mom!" Get out of here with that horse shit. It's the same "You go, girl" stereotype that we've been force-fed for ages. If the female fans of the show need a woman to relate to, it's Rita. She actually acts like a human being and isn't annoying.

Deb needs to be killed off. The wrong character died at the end of season two.

Morrison
September 29th, 2008, 11:13 PM
The Brit chick never bothered me. She served a purpose and the climax to that story was exciting. Deb just sucks and takes up too much screen time. The actress is mediocre and her character feels like the product of some shitty focus group. "Oh, she calls Dexter a dildo and acts like a slut, this is a girl you DON'T want to bring home to mom!" Get out of here with that horse shit. It's the same "You go, girl" stereotype that we've been force-fed for ages. If the female fans of the show need a woman to relate to, it's Rita. She actually acts like a human being and isn't annoying.

How is she a 'you go, girl' stereotype? She strives for the acceptance of her dead father cause he didn't love her as much, and clings to the only family she knows to, an at times, annoying degree. She's definitely not some 'independent WHOAman' cliche.

And you're saying that the character women should relate to is the woman who was so weak she allowed herself to be abused, both physically and mentally, by an overbearing, controlling husband?

I really don't get where you're coming from here.

son_of_foley
September 30th, 2008, 5:23 AM
Her being in love and being retarded with the FBI guy made me quite angry.

Morrison
September 30th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I can see how that'd annoy people, but personally, I loved it, cause Keith Carradine is fucking awesome.

Could've done without seeing his saggy ass though.

Seanny One Ball
September 30th, 2008, 12:45 PM
"Oh, she calls Dexter a dildo and acts like a slut, this is a girl you DON'T want to bring home to mom!" Get out of here with that horse shit. It's the same "You go, girl" stereotype that we've been force-fed for ages. If the female fans of the show need a woman to relate to, it's Rita. She actually acts like a human being and isn't annoying.

Don't get so wound up sweetheart, nobody said Deb was great but she's a damned sight better than Lyla. You're acting like I said Deb was amazing, when in actual fact I mentioned her because she irritates me but to a far lesser extent than both the character of Lyla and the actress who plays her.

That part you've written about Rita is debatable too, she's incredibly annoying. Realism has nothing to do with it either, she's clearly there to show Dexter has a compassionate and caring side that wants to blend into society as best possible yet ends up becoming attached to everything about her.

If Deb had died at the end of the series then it'd have achieved nothing at all and would have offered more questions than answers as to why Dexter operates the way he does at all.
She needs to be alive so he has someone to feel responsible for, the same applies to Rita and the kids.

LOCONUT
September 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I find Rita entirely unlikeable.

Beer-Belly
September 30th, 2008, 5:48 PM
Honestly, the girls I know that watch the show aren't so brain dead that they NEED to rally behind a female character to enjoy the show. They watch the show for Dexter like everyone else.

Wedge
October 6th, 2008, 12:59 PM
All that aside...I'm loving the new season. The ending to Finding Freebo was amazing, and the dynamic that now exists between Dexter and Miguel should be great. I'm also thinking that Deb's subplot is going to be quite interesting with the three different wild card players (the IA "cunt", Quinn, and the Anton the CI).

Gary J
October 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM
All that aside...I'm loving the new season. The ending to Finding Freebo was amazing, and the dynamic that now exists between Dexter and Miguel should be great. I'm also thinking that Deb's subplot is going to be quite interesting with the three different wild card players (the IA "cunt", Quinn, and the Anton the CI).

Considering the time already spent this season showing us how Dexter now resents Harry for using him, I'm predicting that Miguel's story is going to parallel that. Like, maybe Miguel can get behind the idea of using Dexter to take more bad guys off the street.

Excel
October 14th, 2008, 6:21 AM
Loving Season 3.

I was so behind Dexter in this one rooting him to Murder that fucking Cheerios Man

Was really good and the tension Dexter is feeling by being tied to Miguel is great.

LOCONUT
October 14th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Jimmy Smits is the Kenny Lofton of drama.

Gary J
November 10th, 2008, 3:42 PM
Is anyone else getting the feeling that LaGuerta and Wolf might hook up or one of them will want to hook up.

Morrison
November 10th, 2008, 4:02 PM
Is anyone else getting the feeling that LaGuerta and Wolf might hook up or one of them will want to hook up.

Out of everything that's happening on this show, this is the question you bump the thread with?

Hehe.

I wasn't really digging this season through the first few episodes. Thought it was doing alright, but didn't smack me in the face like the two previous starts did. I thought the whole 'Dexter accidentally kills the ADA's brother, who is good friends with his Lieutenant and therefore sticks around a lot' was a little too convenient. Then Rita getting pregnant, while making perfect sense after three seasons, just seemed like a cliche storyline, although the reveal was fantastic and caught me off guard. Then yet another sicko killer roaming the streets of Miami? This serial killer to citizen ratio in that city is absolutely ridiculous. But as it's progressed, everything has come together so, so well, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the show. Miguel and Dexter's relationship is incredibly engaging, and it's really refreshing to see Dexter revealing parts of himself slowly. I'm really hoping this season doesn't end up like the other two, with the 'guest star' of the series ending up six feet under, cause I'm enjoying Smits a lot, and would like to see this friendship develop throughout another season, especially...

If Dexter teaches Miguel the ropes and the code. Having them work together for awhile will be fun, but then there's always the 'Miguel goes rogue and strays too far from the code' angle they can run, and their friendship splits, and neither of them can really do anything to the other.

I suspect the wedding will take place on the season finale, and I'm thinking some serious shit will go down.

Gary J
November 10th, 2008, 4:38 PM
Out of everything that's happening on this show, this is the question you bump the thread with?

Hehe.

I wasn't really digging this season through the first few episodes. Thought it was doing alright, but didn't smack me in the face like the two previous starts did. I thought the whole 'Dexter accidentally kills the ADA's brother, who is good friends with his Lieutenant and therefore sticks around a lot' was a little too convenient. Then Rita getting pregnant, while making perfect sense after three seasons, just seemed like a cliche storyline, although the reveal was fantastic and caught me off guard. Then yet another sicko killer roaming the streets of Miami? This serial killer to citizen ratio in that city is absolutely ridiculous. But as it's progressed, everything has come together so, so well, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the show. Miguel and Dexter's relationship is incredibly engaging, and it's really refreshing to see Dexter revealing parts of himself slowly. I'm really hoping this season doesn't end up like the other two, with the 'guest star' of the series ending up six feet under, cause I'm enjoying Smits a lot, and would like to see this friendship develop throughout another season, especially...

If Dexter teaches Miguel the ropes and the code. Having them work together for awhile will be fun, but then there's always the 'Miguel goes rogue and strays too far from the code' angle they can run, and their friendship splits, and neither of them can really do anything to the other.

I suspect the wedding will take place on the season finale, and I'm thinking some serious shit will go down.

Well i didn't wanna spoil anything and i wasn't sure on how to make the spoiler tags.

But you didn't answer my question hehe

As for the season finale i think...

Chicky Hines will be freed and Miguel will want him to be their next victim. But Dexter will come to believe that Chicky is innocent and thus doesn't fit the code. But Miguel will go ahead and kill him anyway but bungle the job in such a way that it potentially exposes both himself and Dexter. As such, Dexter will decide to kill him to protect himself but mostly because Miguel is now a killer of innocents and thus fits the code. It also wouldn't surprise me if we learn that Miguel got a few more innocents convicted and some were executed which would help Dexter with the code problem. Then the season will end with Dexter realizing Dad was right after all, he can't become close to anyone

RockOverBoston
November 10th, 2008, 4:42 PM
Jimmy Smits is the Kenny Lofton of drama.

Too true, too true.

Pipkin
November 10th, 2008, 6:28 PM
I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but so far, I'm enjoying this season.

I'm with Morrison on Miguel. I think he adds quite a bit to the series, and Dexter struggling with choosing between Miguel and Harry is a really interesting dynamic. And Smits has been quite good as well.

I think I'm more interested in this season than I was at this point last season, which is kind of surprising to me because I wasn't thrilled with the first couple of episodes.

Hobbit
November 10th, 2008, 9:01 PM
Yet another class episode, Miguel is the second best character the show's ever had (after Dexter), which is saying something as it's chock full of excellent characters and always has been, bar Jaime Murray..

The actor who plays Miguel is absolutely magnificent too I want to see more things with him in. I want him to be my friend :(

As I mentioned last season was severly tainted by the appauling Jaime Murray who is horrendous in everything I've ever seen her in, so her playing someone we're meant to hate just fuelled my hatred towards her :lol:

Masuka :heart:

LOCONUT
November 11th, 2008, 1:51 PM
I can't believe I am saying this, but I miss Doakes. :happysad:

Miotch
November 11th, 2008, 2:06 PM
Doakes was really fucking fantastic.

Excel
November 11th, 2008, 2:49 PM
I really miss Doakes too. :(

Pipkin
November 11th, 2008, 3:55 PM
I can't believe I am saying this, but I miss Doakes. :happysad:
Same for me. There was a time when I felt like Doakes was just in the way of storylines I wanted to see unfold, but the character brought a lot to the table.

Here's to Doakes:beer:

Dream-Evil
November 12th, 2008, 8:46 AM
He's watching you, mothafucka. :shifty:

Aussie_Outlaw
November 12th, 2008, 9:08 AM
I've finally caught up to the US after our networks basically started showing Season 1 a few months ago.

As for this season I'm leaning: (I'll just spoiler the whole damn thing)

Towards the killer being either Quinn, Anton or Miguel, it's basically going to be one of them with Miguel being a dark horse if we view his treatment of Dexter as continually testing to see whether Dexter is a serial killer like himself. He turned fairly fast to support Dexter once he turned Miguel down.

Quinn is the clear obvious choice in being the murderer since he's continually shifty but that seems incredibly too obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if Quinn comes out of this season on the side of good with this IA girl being a bitter ex-college.

Though Deb does have incredibly poor taste in men and seems to love putting herself in stupid love situations. Imagine how fucked up she'll be if Anton is the killer.

The most wonderful thing about Dexter (the show) is to watch him try to learn about people and deal with general situations without having the basic life teaching many many people take for granted. The heart of the show isn't the murder or the serial killer bit but rather him trying to get through life like we all do and figure out what he actually wants from it all.

KorruptJustice
November 14th, 2008, 6:01 AM
I'm loving this season so far. Smits has been outstanding as Miguel, and this storyline has been awesome. Only one small problem I've noticed with this storyline though.

Shouldn't Miguel be suspecting Dexter of being the Bay Harbor Butcher by now? I know he wouldn't be thinking that initially, due to Doakes receiving the blame, but wouldn't the fact that someone who worked in the same department as Doakes is now killing other criminals, just like the BHB was, make you suspicious?

Besides Miguel and Dexter though, you know who I'm really loving this season? James Remar as Harry. I thought he was solid during the first two seasons, but in season three, I think he's really benefitting from the shift in his relationship with Dexter. It's allowing him to do more, and I think he's really standing out now.

I still miss Doakes, though. Easily the greatest character ever on this show, besides Dexter of course.

Morrison
November 15th, 2008, 2:02 AM
Well right now, he doesn't really know how long Dexter has been doing this. Like the preview of next week's episode shows, he's been under the impression that Freebo was his 'first,' and he obviously starts questioning that. I've been asking myself whether or not Miguel is going to start asking questions about it or whether Dexter starts trusting him enough to let him in on that secret.

Wedge
November 15th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Besides Miguel and Dexter though, you know who I'm really loving this season? James Remar as Harry. I thought he was solid during the first two seasons, but in season three, I think he's really benefitting from the shift in his relationship with Dexter. It's allowing him to do more, and I think he's really standing out now.

The difference was in the last two season, he was mainly shown in flashbacks, now he's being shown in "crazy Dexter daydreams."

Wedge
November 17th, 2008, 1:46 PM
Welp, Dexter has a real problem now. Miguel is gonna be out of control.

LOCONUT
November 17th, 2008, 2:10 PM
I loved that episode... Pretty clear Miguel gets the knife soon. Should be an epic way to end a great season.

I get more impressed with Jimmy Smits every week.

Wedge
November 17th, 2008, 4:13 PM
I typed that up before I had even seen the preview. Has Dexter ever gone that batshit insane? If he has I don't remember, but when he tears his lab apart and yells MIGUEL! I was just like "holy shit."

Also, the people who theorized that Anton was the Skinner were obviously wrong.

Bits
November 17th, 2008, 4:34 PM
Ergh, could we keep stuff in the previews to spoilers please? I'd rather not have known that.

Loved the last ep loooooved it, Miguel is just mental I really look forward to seeing how this plays out.

And I fucking loved Deb in this episode, not sure what it was but she was just brilliant in it.

Wedge
November 17th, 2008, 4:36 PM
Yeah, sure, but technically I don't see it as spoilers, because it's previewed. I know it's too late for you, but I'll spoiler it now.

Bits
November 17th, 2008, 5:11 PM
I can accept the argument it's technically not spoiler cause it's in the preview, but cause I download it I don't see previews, even if I had the option I wouldn't watch them, gives too much away for my liking.

Excel
November 17th, 2008, 5:13 PM
The torrent I watched cut the credits, and therefore the preview, off.

Anyone know where I can see it?

Wedge
Showtimes website does the previews, I believe.

Excel
Oh, and this episode was great. Loved the look in Miguels eyes when he made the kill.

Hobbit
November 17th, 2008, 9:17 PM
Yet another tremendous episode.

I actually thought that was pretty shoddy acting from Miguel when he made the kill, he just looked really wooden and flat.

Where the fuck is Masuka? Am I forgetting him saying he was leaving the force or something? He's excellent and needs to be in it more, even if there's the grand sum of fuck all he can really contribute to at the moment.

I love the rebellion Dexter is having against his father's wishes and teachings, it's a nice development to Dexter's character and really puts something else into their (strange) relationship.

So is Maria bisexual? She hinted at something with Batista with the date for the police dinner party thing but also constantly seems a bit puppy-eyed with the insanely ugly woman whose name I forget. Sure it might just be she admires her but I'm thinking it's deeper than that. Would be great.

Assuming he is indeed the skinner, I was slightly disappointed in how obvious they made it that George King was the man, not that random taxi driver stabber chap.

7 days now :mad:

Morrison
November 18th, 2008, 1:55 AM
I can accept the argument it's technically not spoiler cause it's in the preview, but cause I download it I don't see previews, even if I had the option I wouldn't watch them, gives too much away for my liking.

It really doesn't, though. The thing I love about the Dexter previews is that they tend to be very manipulative, and are edited in a way to suggest things will play out one way, only for things to go differently when the episode airs. Like the preview for the episode last season where they discover the box of blood slides and have Dexter sitting there at the desk with Lundy and Matthews staring holes through him. They made it look like Dexter was fucked, since they only showed Doakes finding the slides in the dark, then Dexter being taken in by all the FBI agents in the middle of then night. They left out the part where Doakes leaves them in his trunk when he leaves the country. So I was left asking all these question about how Dexter was going to get around it all week, then come time for the new episode, everything is answered, and I'm shocked even more. They're a great little device.

I really, really loved this last episode. The humor was especially well done, I thought, and the progression of the Miguel/Dexter storyline was amazing, with the kill being one of my favorite scenes in the entire series thus far. I just wish they'd of dragged out Miguel going rogue a bit longer. I'm just a tad disappointed, cause it looks like they're going to go down the same kind of path as the last two seasons, where Dexter has to clash and eventually kill the person that he's gotten closest to in the season or the one who understands who he really is the best. I'd just like to see a bit of stability in that aspect of the show for more then a season. Though they could always surprise me.

Wedge
November 23rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Welp, Miguel's dead. Of course, it'll take 3 episodes now.

I did like the "twist."

Excel
November 24th, 2008, 6:36 PM
Holy shit when Dexter went nuts at the end there I was like "WHAT THE FUCK", and ofcourse it was just a short fantasy. However, the look in his eyes wasn't, that look told a thousand books worth of information about what Dex was feeling.

One thing I hope he realises though is that had he not killed Frebo and dumped the body, that all these people, including Anton, would never have been hurt. Its the butterfly effect that has permiated this season.

This is great stuff, but I cant help but wonder if or how Miguel will die. I mean, just killing him would be bad, the people affected by it, La Guerta, Rita, Sylvia et al. But then I wondered the same about Doakes, and they managed to make that work. The writers of this show have earned something very hard to earn from me, FAITH. I always have faith in them to not screw it up and get it just right, because they always do.

Morrison
November 24th, 2008, 9:44 PM
I gotta say, I really was disappointed and not digging them turning Miguel into some deceptive prick. The course of events that led up to him and Dexter becoming friends made his intentions seem real genuine, so I kinda cock my eye at him being so blatantly underhanded so soon after he finds Dexter has killed Freebo, especially when all he knew at the time was that it was in 'self-defense.' And beyond that, I was really enjoying Dexter being able to open up, and was hoping that having a person he could confide in would be the catalyst for him to develop real, true feelings like a normal person. Granted, they still managed to work that in there, with him now feeling anger, but still.

But after thinking about it, the rest of this season can still be pretty spectacular. The one-upmanship that's likely to go on could be fun. The likelihood of Miguel dying is still rather high, but like Excel, and Dexter's lesson to Miguel itself, said; there is fallout from a kill. It touches people personally. And Dexter killing Miguel is something he's going to be faced with on a constant basis if he goes through with it, with Rita and Sylvia being best friends and co-workers, with his Lieutenant being a close friend of Miguel and a former(and apparently, for at least another one off occasion) lover. And he can't really set Miguel up to fail and get caught, because he knows Miguel will do all within his power to bring Dex down with him, and he can no longer afford that. So it seems like the only solution is to let Miguel roam free, and live by his own code. Or the likely fourth option that I'm not clever enough to figure out.

I have faith in these writers, as well, so I trust however this ends up, I'll be surprised and satisfied, and left eagerly anticipating the next season.

Pipkin
November 25th, 2008, 1:08 AM
I agree with everything Morrison said, so I won't retype it.

I will, however, say that at the end of this episode I squealed like a teenage girl in anticipation of next week. I don't want to wait seven whole days...

The Doc
November 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM
No way does Migeul survive. No chance, the real question is going to be when do thsoe two start playing Spy vs Spy and how does Dex win. Dex wouldn't set up Miguel to get caught. He tried (or started to try) that shit with Doakes because he couldn't kill Doakes according to the code. Miguel no longer has that protection, then add to that he's not just a threat to Dexter's safety and freedom he accomplished something no one else has. He pissed Dex off.

I figure the fun part of these next three episodes is going to be watching Dex and Miguel play Spy vs Spy and then from there we've got the wild card King.

Hobbit
November 25th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Decent episode.

The shot of dead Ellen made me jump a bit :$

Pipkin
November 25th, 2008, 3:34 PM
he's not just a threat to Dexter's safety and freedom he accomplished something no one else has. He pissed Dex off.
Exactly. We've seen cold, calculating Dexter, troubled Dexter, conflicted Dexter, and a couple others...but we've never seen angry Dexter. Which I why I can't wait to find out what he does.

LOCONUT
November 25th, 2008, 7:04 PM
I don't like the forced latino accent they overly script for Miguel and Maria. The way they pronounce Oscar and Ramon drives me crazy. It reminds me of those ridiculous El Torito commercials where a half white guy turns on the accent in an over-the-top way.

Miotch
November 25th, 2008, 7:13 PM
El Torito Grill is fucking aces.

El Torito is fucking shit.

LOCONUT
November 25th, 2008, 7:17 PM
El Torito Grill is not fucking aces, it is just a bit better than regular El Torito.

The Doc
November 25th, 2008, 7:25 PM
Exactly. We've seen cold, calculating Dexter, troubled Dexter, conflicted Dexter, and a couple others...but we've never seen angry Dexter. Which I why I can't wait to find out what he does.

I'm fairly certain that angry Dexter kills people. I'm more curious if he's going to go through the entire ritual, specially after a whole episode (or three) of Miguel talking shit.

And of course there is always King to take into account.

Morrison
November 26th, 2008, 2:03 AM
No way does Migeul survive. No chance, the real question is going to be when do thsoe two start playing Spy vs Spy and how does Dex win. Dex wouldn't set up Miguel to get caught. He tried (or started to try) that shit with Doakes because he couldn't kill Doakes according to the code. Miguel no longer has that protection, then add to that he's not just a threat to Dexter's safety and freedom he accomplished something no one else has. He pissed Dex off.

I figure the fun part of these next three episodes is going to be watching Dex and Miguel play Spy vs Spy and then from there we've got the wild card King.

I'm fairly certain that angry Dexter kills people. I'm more curious if he's going to go through the entire ritual, specially after a whole episode (or three) of Miguel talking shit.

And of course there is always King to take into account.
The last two seasons have you thinking one thing, only for curveballs to be thrown. You got Deb dating the Ice Truck Killer, then it's also his brother. Last season it was Doakes finding Dexter, then Dexter agreeing to turn himself in, then Layla coming out and blowing him up. Nothing is really certain when it comes to Miguel's fate.

The Skinner case has to play a bigger part in things. I find it hard to believe they'd give so much time as a way of just developing Deb, Quinn and Anton. I'm all for having fleshed out supporting characters, but that just seems odd. So I wouldn't be surprised if Dex and Miguel go at each others throats, only to come together to take down King after something drastic happens in the departments pursuit of him.

TakeItToTheLimit
November 26th, 2008, 2:21 AM
The season 2 DVD cover is probably the best DVD cover of all-time. Not that I watch the show, but maybe I'll start.

Excel
November 26th, 2008, 5:13 AM
We have indeed seen angry Dexter, in the very first episode when Dexter is about to kill the child killer "TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT YOU DID!" he was very angry. However, this was the pilot, and things change, or alternatively, it could just bebecause children were involved.

Gary J
December 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM
Can't believe this hasn't been bumped after the last episode. What an ending can't wait to see what happens next.

Hobbit
December 2nd, 2008, 8:39 AM
It was excellent once more this week. I have to say I saw the twist at the end coming as soon as it was made clear that Dexter was being watched. Should've twigged it that something was up (no pun intended) when Miguel gestured to him to meet him on the roof though.

There can't be many more episodes left of this season surely? That makes me quite unhappy.

Masuka is brilliant as well with his comedy laugh.

Gary J
December 2nd, 2008, 2:42 PM
Two episodes left i think.

Wedge
December 2nd, 2008, 3:21 PM
Yeah, two more.

Can't wait to see how Dexter gets out of the jam and then figures out how to take Miguel out without drawing attention to himself.

Pipkin
December 2nd, 2008, 6:57 PM
My birthday is tomorrow, but I think I'm looking forward to next Sunday more...

Gary J
December 3rd, 2008, 8:36 AM
Yeah, two more.

Can't wait to see how Dexter gets out of the jam and then figures out how to take Miguel out without drawing attention to himself.

I actually think Dexter will get out of the jam quiet easily as i think

The kidnapping is not done by the skinner but its part of Masuka's stag party plan

Wedge
December 3rd, 2008, 9:30 AM
Oh, good point...that'd be typical Dexter bait and switch.

Mark84j
December 3rd, 2008, 11:06 AM
That's pretty much why his cell was dialed.

Funboy
December 3rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Genius!

Never even thought of that...

I hate that this season is drawing to a close, by far one of the best series out there..

Excel
December 3rd, 2008, 11:25 AM
I hear it's scheduled to run through atleast season 5. Good times.

Mark84j
December 3rd, 2008, 7:35 PM
The scene on the roof is one of my favorite scenes from any movie or series.

Cuz I will FUCK you back! In ways you never even imagined!

Hobbit
December 4th, 2008, 7:50 AM
I actually think Dexter will get out of the jam quiet easily as i think

The kidnapping is not done by the skinner but its part of Masuka's stag party plan

With a tazer? Pretty sure I heard a zap.

Mark84j
December 4th, 2008, 4:56 PM
Just went back to that part.

---> No tazer. It was duct tape.

Gary J
December 4th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Don't know about a tazer i didn't hear one though but its possible they may have been one.

Funboy
December 5th, 2008, 3:37 AM
It wasnt a tazer, it was duct tape being wrapped around his wrist, but would the bachelor party do that?

Gary J
December 5th, 2008, 7:44 AM
With Masuka anything is possible.

Excel
December 8th, 2008, 5:05 PM
What?! No Bump?! After last nights episode? Jesus!

Seems Gary J is a bit of a clever bastard eh?

Fuck I didnt think it would go this way, seems somehow wrong to kill Miguel in the penultimate episode, but I guess it shows that this season wasnt really about Miguel, and was all about Dexter wanting to connect with someone.

I loved the whole answering machine trick, Dexter has this great way of fucking with people. Just wondering now if Ramon knows about Dexter and is also working with the Skinner, if youve seen the preview for next week it looks like Dexter is in trouble.

Oh man, I fucking CHEERED when Dexter told Miguel that he killed Oscar Prado. I just wish Dexter had confronted him on the lies that Miguel told, about the bloody shirt and the thing at the cemetary. Still it was tremendous. I'm going to miss Jimmy Smits.

Bits
December 8th, 2008, 5:18 PM
I was gonna bump earlier, got distracted by dinner. Fucking fantastic ep, good call on the bachelor party thing Gary J, I wouldn't have seen that myself.

So much stuff happened in this ep it was just brilliant to watch, Masuka was fucking hilarious in particular, I love him.

Alot of stuff wasn't quite explained at the end, like were Laguerta actually is, and was that her house Dexter was using? That does make me wonder.

Agree with you Excel I'm going to miss Smits alot too, he's been amazing in this especially these last couple of eps, hopefully we see him in some kind of flashback/vision type thing in this last ep at least.

Excel
December 8th, 2008, 5:27 PM
Oh and I can't help but wonder about that thing with Deb towards the end

If she learns that one of Harry's informants was Laura Moser, will she do as Camilla did and link her to Dexter, and then Brian/Rudy to Dexter? I thought Camilla destroyed all the records that she had about Laura Moser, but I'm now worried that she didn't

Alot of stuff wasn't quite explained at the end, like were Laguerta actually is, and was that her house Dexter was using? That does make me wonder.

I assume that LaGuerta was at the place Dexter said he would meet her in that answer machine message, so as to get her out of the house. As for the house Dexter was using, I would doubt it was hers, most likely Ellen Wolf's

Bits
December 8th, 2008, 5:50 PM
Oh and I can't help but wonder about that thing with Deb towards the end

If she learns that one of Harry's informants was Laura Moser, will she do as Camilla did and link her to Dexter, and then Brian/Rudy to Dexter? I thought Camilla destroyed all the records that she had about Laura Moser, but I'm now worried that she didn't

I'd forgotten about that, should be interesting to see where it leads.

I assume that LaGuerta was at the place Dexter said he would meet her in that answer machine message, so as to get her out of the house. As for the house Dexter was using, I would doubt it was hers, most likely Ellen Wolf's

Ah, could be.

LOCONUT
December 8th, 2008, 9:32 PM
It sure looked like her house...

Incredible episode. Really pleased that there is still one left after what I assumed all season would be the final story happening this week.

Obviously Dexter isn't going to die anytime soon, but it takes away some of the intrigue when you watch the preview of Dexter on the verge of death, only for the next segment to be an advert for the promo interview with Hall next week where he discusses what's in store for Dexter next season...

Hobbit
December 10th, 2008, 3:56 PM
It's the final one next week? That's really gay.

Whoever said about the bachelor thing, TAKE A BOW SON.

Quality episode, Masuka ftw.

Bits
December 15th, 2008, 8:02 AM
Final ep:

Wonderful end to the season, loved it. Not too sure about how quickly the George King angle got wrapped up but this episode and this season have just been so good I find it hard to complain.

Not sure what there is to say really, this is definetly one of the best shows on TV and I can't wait to see what they do next season.

Also Deb was looking rather fucking lovely in this ep, I love her a little bit.

LOCONUT
December 15th, 2008, 1:17 PM
I enjoyed this episode. I too felt part of it was rushed. I am curious about Ramon's future. I wonder if they are setting him up to either go rogue and stalk dexter outright, or if he will take the Doakes role of cop who has to get down to the bottom of Dexter. Either way, I cannot wait until next season!

Excel
December 15th, 2008, 6:27 PM
Seems to me that they have wrapped up Ramon, I dont think he'll be a factor next season.

This season did seem somewhat slow and understated compared with the previous two, but this one was much more about Dexter exploring himself and discovering what he wanted from life, making amends with Harry and learning what he will and wont be able to have in his life. As quickly and mutely as Miguel was taken out, and as much of an afterthought as The Skinner was, they were both just plot devices designed to take Dexter through the steps he took as a person this series. They werent high profile like the Ice Truck Killer, and weren't as serious a thread to Dexter as being caught in Season 2, but they served to help him to grow as a person.

If you can find a more character driven series on TV I'd like to see it, this is the kind of TV that I love. A good plot is great, but tru characterisation built around a less prominant plot is what makes for fantasticly deep and meaningful entertainment. Dexter gives me that.

LOCONUT
December 15th, 2008, 6:49 PM
Why did they wrap up Ramon? Because Dexter told him he understood him? The whole point of that scene was to show that even though Ramon had been arrested, he was going to be out in a few days. 1 last favor to the brother of the dead ADA. I think it wrapped him up nicely for this season, but I certainly can't imagine he just disappears next season. In fact, he finally showed in that scene that he might actually have some acting chops...

Also, why the fuck was the blood analysis guy allowed to talk to an arrested Sheriff in the first place. That whole scene made absolutely no sense to me.

Bits
December 15th, 2008, 7:26 PM
Why did they wrap up Ramon? Because Dexter told him he understood him? The whole point of that scene was to show that even though Ramon had been arrested, he was going to be out in a few days. 1 last favor to the brother of the dead ADA. I think it wrapped him up nicely for this season, but I certainly can't imagine he just disappears next season. In fact, he finally showed in that scene that he might actually have some acting chops...

Also, why the fuck was the blood analysis guy allowed to talk to an arrested Sheriff in the first place. That whole scene made absolutely no sense to me.

Actually I'd say the point of the scene was to show that Dexter had misunderstood Ramon and he came to the realisation he could actually just reason with him by reminding him about the family he still has.

As for the fact Dex got to talk to him, maybe cause he was friends with Miguel? Laguerta maybe pulled some strings? I don't think it's that out there that he'd have got to talk to him.

LOCONUT
December 15th, 2008, 7:47 PM
Wrong.

Bits
December 15th, 2008, 7:54 PM
Well with an argument like that how can I not concede.

Morrison
January 9th, 2009, 6:09 PM
Congrats to Michael C. Hall and his new wife... his sister.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28582388/

Morrison
July 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edRUR7r_iYg

new season starts september 27th, and by that trailer, it looks like it's going to be quite awesome. john lithgow can play a creep pretty well, and we get the return of frank lundy, who i loved in season 2. here's hoping it's better than season three.

my only issue is why does miami seem to be a breeding ground for these homicidal whack jobs? i'd like to see another season where dexter is the only one killing people in town.

Excel
July 27th, 2009, 4:15 AM
September 27th cant come quickly enough for me

son_of_foley
July 27th, 2009, 4:16 AM
Excited

Mills
July 27th, 2009, 4:17 AM
Im psyched for Season 3 to come out this month so I can be caught up on Dexter. One of the top 3 shows on TV today, easily.

Tempest
July 27th, 2009, 6:33 AM
Wow. John Lithgow is great casting in my opinion. Absolutely love the guy and now i'm even more excited for the new season than I was before.

Excel
July 27th, 2009, 6:36 AM
I'm a bit surprised that this time there's no mystery about who the killer is, but I have 100% faith that they will hit every nail right on the head as they have always done.

I'm also fucking stoked that they brought back Lundy! As long as I don't have to see his pasty arse again.

Should bring up some tension with Deb and that new guy shes banging.

Jay
July 27th, 2009, 8:01 AM
Wow. John Lithgow is great casting in my opinion. Absolutely love the guy and now i'm even more excited for the new season than I was before. Same here. I don't think they could have got any one better.

I've never been in this thread because I only watched up to episode nine of Season One before kind of getting sidetracked with it all, meaning I also missed Season Two when that was shown. I ended up buying both on DVD, though, and I had a huge catch up right before Season Three was shown on FX.

One and Two were phenomenal, absolutely amazing. I got through them so quickly because I just had to watch the next episode right there and then. Season Three wasn't as good, it was a lot slower and the season finale was a little disappointing, but compared to most shows, it was still pretty fantastic and great writing. It was always going to be hard to consistently be so amazing.

The trailer for Season Four has got me absolutely psyched, however. I can't wait. I watched so much Dexter in a short space of time, I'm really missing it now :(

Might give Season One another run-through...

Pablo Diablo
July 27th, 2009, 9:13 AM
I can actually watch and follow along with it this time around as it airs. Excellent.

Jay
July 27th, 2009, 9:36 AM
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk304/raigraphixs/dexter4.jpg

What an amazing promo poster.

Any news on when this will be shown on FX in the UK? I guess I could just download it and stream to my TV, but it's just not quite the same. If there's a huge wait, though, then fuck it, I'll just download and watch it again when it's out over here.

Pipkin
July 27th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Fantastic! I can't wait for Lithgow!

Now I'm sad...it seems like so far off.

Gary J
August 19th, 2009, 5:53 PM
http://www.ninjavideo.net/video/35720

Season 4 Opener.

Pipkin
August 19th, 2009, 6:42 PM
:panic:New episode!

:bowdown: Gary J

:hyper:

Marlon Dingle
August 20th, 2009, 4:46 AM
Just away to get into the first series just now. Is it worth sticking with through til Season 3?

Vice
August 20th, 2009, 4:54 AM
Yes.

Repo
August 20th, 2009, 4:57 AM
ah its gone already

Going hunting now

EDIT

Found one

http://salloumi.com/svc?v=mOGQ5MmY2M

Morrison
August 20th, 2009, 12:21 PM
that second link isn't available in the US!

Gary J
August 20th, 2009, 4:08 PM
http://www.megavideo.com/?d=EQRE940T

Morrison
August 20th, 2009, 7:32 PM
really great opening for the season.

the exhaustion of dexter's 'new' life really comes across well throughout the entire episode, and the duality he has to deal with everyday. his 'tonight's the night' monologue that typically opens up each season contrasted against rita's use of the same line when it came to the parents finally getting some alone time was a nice touch. a lot of the in-referencing was great, actually. the whole parody of the opening credit sequence was amusing. his complete apathy towards 'living the dream' should be intriguing to watch.

john lithgow should be pretty awesome based on this episode. we haven't really had the fucked up sexualized serial killer yet in the series, and it looks like he's going to be it. the premise of this case is interesting, and the return of frank lundy is awesome. i liked the interaction between him and deb, and the progression of that relationship, and how it's going to effect deb and anton as a couple, is something i'm very much looking forward to.

quinn getting all 'righteous good cop' on dexter was a bit melodramatic and felt really unnecessary. i guess maybe they're setting something up there?

angel and laguerta hooking up was a nice little surprise. them acknowledging the chick from vice that angel was with at the end of last season was a good bit of continuity, which this show is pretty good at in general.

i'm not quite sure what deb looking into her father's relationships with the female CI's is going to accomplish, at this point.

probably the biggest event in the episode, the car wreck, was a wonderful shock, in that i didn't expect something as massive as that to happen in the first episode of the season. i expected maybe a small crash or a close call, but multiple flips? tied together the theme of the entire episode, as well as posed a ton of questions. dexter got the prescription, but did he dispose of the garbage bags? definitely leaves me wanting the next episode right away, which sucks, since there's still a damn month until this one debuts.

overall, this ep leaves me with really, really positive feelings about this upcoming season.

Marlon Dingle
September 9th, 2009, 4:55 AM
I've got 3 episodes left of the 1st series, and its pretty great. I love the character of Dexter with the whole Patrick Bateman style "I'm not there" kind of attitude, also with the flashbacks of him and his adopted dad are probably my favourite scenes, I've loved James Remar ever since The Warriors. Also Mark Pellegrino making recurring role was a pleseant shock, with me being a fan of Lost and all. Think I'll jump straight onto Season 2 after I'm done with this. :yes:

Repo
September 9th, 2009, 9:05 AM
I loved season 1 and 2

But season 3 was abit off for me, i never got dragged into it like i did the first 2 seasons

But

The start of season 4 has definitely brought me back into the fold

Marlon Dingle
September 9th, 2009, 9:08 AM
Just found out that Dexter is married to his sister in real life. Yuk! Pictures of them on the red carpet hugging and kissing and holding hands looks weird.

Miotch
September 28th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Liked it, but didn't love it. The dialog has become campy in many ways, but it's still great to have the show back. Lundy's return is nice, and I like what they're doing with most of the supporting characters. The car crash was nice and will set up the first big problem for Dexter to face.

We will see, but it was only OK.

Andru
September 28th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Premiere was interesting but I felt kind of bored at certain points. However the ending was a great cliffhanger. Very interesting to see how he finds a way out of the car crash with the dead body still being in the car.

Excel
September 28th, 2009, 2:09 PM
You sure its still there? I think we are meant to assume it is, but clearly it wont be. We wont have another season of Dexter dodging the law.

Morrison
September 28th, 2009, 3:55 PM
You sure its still there? I think we are meant to assume it is, but clearly it wont be. We wont have another season of Dexter dodging the law.

i assume you didn't watch the previews they played for the season after the episode ended.

Excel
September 28th, 2009, 4:20 PM
Nope. Thanks for the spoiler.

:mad:

Morrison
September 28th, 2009, 9:38 PM
Nope. Thanks for the spoiler.

:mad:

you already read it anyway.

Beer-Belly
September 29th, 2009, 1:52 AM
I still haven't finished season 3 yet. I liked where it was going. Season 2 was my least favorite so far.

Excel
September 29th, 2009, 7:42 AM
season 2 was great, if only for dexter and doakes' interactions. Especially the headbutt

Hobbit
October 1st, 2009, 10:10 AM
Just watched the premiere and loved it. Lots of subplots already and the show feels quite busy with them but in a good way. Dexter having the unfamiliar handicap of a young child to raise and the things that brings with it like the fatigue is a lovely touch, it made the cliffhanger at the end really enjoyable. I'm assuming the cop that nearly booked him will come across the car crash, hell maybe Dexter will break Harry's code and have to silence the guy too. Probably not though.

John Lithgow was a bit bloody creepy in the 5 minutes he was onscreen. The opening kill he did was actually pretty disturbing I thought. Oh and thanks for showing us your arse about 4 times John, but at least he didn't turn around.

I adore Masuka, he's probably my favourite character in the show and his somewhat odd naivety with not seeing that Batista and Maria are an item is good comic relief. Deb and Quinn are alright at the moment too, yet another relationship coming up with Quinn and the bint who looks like Lisa Snowdon - that could either be awful or good fun.

The return of Lundy is quality as well I hope him and Dexter will become a mighty duo of John Lithgow hunters, if indeed it's Lithgow who is the 'Trinity killer' as strongly hinted. Would be amazing if it's the one Quinn's dipping instead.

Gary J
October 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
season 2 was great, if only for dexter and doakes' interactions. Especially the headbutt

I miss Doakes :(

Mark84j
October 1st, 2009, 10:57 AM
(Spoilerish prediction: Something is going to happen with the baby. I think Lithgow will kidnap it sometime very deep into the season.)

Also, every time Bautista speaks, it makes me laugh. He's an awesome character, but his voice is so easy to imitate.

Excel
October 5th, 2009, 7:47 PM
One glorious nights sleep....

...Fuck

Best ending to an episode ever.

Hobbit
October 6th, 2009, 1:27 PM
Loved it again.

I don't quite know how the show can get any better at the moment it's so on form it's ridiculous. Quinns, Masuka, Dexter, Angel, Maria, Rita, JOHN LITHGOW, Lisa Snowdon lookalike person Quinn is fucking and hell even HARRY are all so good at present.

Next week's looks mega too, can't wait.

Hobbit
October 12th, 2009, 6:50 PM
WAS AMAZING AGAIN.

The bit with Lithgow making the woman jump was :(

Quinn's bint has wonderful breasts.

Excel
October 12th, 2009, 7:26 PM
Quinn is turning into a right cock.

Lithgow is an evil cunt.

Dexter is the shit as always.

Mark84j
October 12th, 2009, 7:52 PM
I'm enjoying how awkward and uncomfortable Dex is becoming with everybody, even his own wife now.

LOCONUT
October 12th, 2009, 8:15 PM
Lithgow getting the woman to jump was truly one of the more chilling scenes I can remember seeing on television in quite some time.

Hobbit
October 12th, 2009, 8:15 PM
The bit when Dexter pushed Astor into the pool was funny as anything, I need to find a gif of that. The reaction from Rita :lol:

And the whole of Masuka's lines from the crime scene at the docks :lol: I love him

Aussie_Outlaw
October 12th, 2009, 8:16 PM
Dexter has basically always been awkward/uncomfortable with everybody. It's one of the central themes of the show.

Though he's clearly not the brightest as I would have just caught the crook rather than running around like a criminal myself looking incredibly suspect.

Thinking about it, removing that awful Lila plot thread the show hasn't put a foot wrong.

LOCONUT
October 12th, 2009, 8:28 PM
When you didn't post for so long I thought Dexter had killed you.

Isabella
October 13th, 2009, 7:12 AM
And the whole of Masuka's lines from the crime scene at the docks :lol: I love him
I was wondering whose truck that was pulling up in front of Dexter’s house.

When we saw Masuka behind the driver’s wheel, I burst out laughing.

Excel
October 13th, 2009, 2:16 PM
Hahaha, I saw it and thought "Vince, what the fuck are you dirivng you little asian perv you"

Vice
October 13th, 2009, 2:35 PM
The bit when Dexter pushed Astor into the pool was funny as anything, I need to find a gif of that. The reaction from Rita :lol:

Here, I made one for you:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/Envious_Vice/DexterPush.gif

May as well throw in Masuka's truck of ridiculousness:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y4/Envious_Vice/MasukaTruck.gif

Hobbit
October 13th, 2009, 3:28 PM
ahaha that is magic V-Man :heart:

Morrison
October 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
holy. crap.

so i expected it'd either be dexter or lundy as the third trinity victim, and figured definitely lundy after trinity bumps into him, but did not see that finish happening, especially including deb.

really liked this episode. it wasn't a huge deal, bar the ending, but still enjoyable. the zoe kill scene was one of my favorites, and i really, really liked the sudden realization dexter comes to that he'd rather risk rita and the kids knowing the truth than lose them. some uncharacteristic emotion there.

i'm really enjoying john lithgow and the trinity killer character. it's nice to see a truly fucked up killer on the show.

Bert
October 19th, 2009, 3:31 AM
I think holy. crap. Summarizes it nicely. Now we have to wait a week. :panic: