Aerosmith
AC/DC

eugenespeed
February 5th, 2006, 1:49 PM
Iron Maiden

Dazz
February 5th, 2006, 2:02 PM
The Buzzcocks

INteresting that you only want hard rock and not pop/punk yet you've allowed greenday and linkin park in

Hells Bells
February 5th, 2006, 2:29 PM
AC/DC
Monster Magnet

Kneeneighbor
February 5th, 2006, 2:32 PM
Quiet Riot, White Snake, Guns N Roses

PMBR
February 5th, 2006, 4:25 PM

Dazz
February 5th, 2006, 4:34 PM
Audioslave
White Zombie
Amen

And aerosmith are in there twice

PMBR
February 5th, 2006, 4:59 PM

RockOverBoston
February 5th, 2006, 5:16 PM
The Beatles were absolute pioneers of rock music, even if the majority of their catalog did lean toward the pop side. Anyone who's heard their entire catalog knows they did more than their share of straight rock tunes as well.

To leave them out of any tournament meant to crown the Greatest Rock Band, while giving entry to disposable bullshit like Powerman 5000, Firehouse (whose only hit, ever, was a freakin' hair metal ballad), Whitesnake (whose only big hits ever were, you guessed it, freakin' hair metal ballads), the Scorpions, Drowning Pool, and on and on the list goes, is absolutely ridiculous.

Google any "Best Rock Bands of All Time" list. The Beatles are there. Most of what's been compiled here so far is nowhere near it.

PMBR
February 5th, 2006, 5:18 PM
This is a tournament for hard rock...not just pop/rock. I have already announced in my original post that I will be doing a pop/rock tournament following this one. The Beatles are more than suited for that one.

I am in no way whatsoever knocking their credibility because I love The Beatles. I have quite a bit of their material on my computer.

Second City Saint
February 5th, 2006, 5:38 PM
This is a tournament for hard rock...not just pop/rock. I have already announced in my original post that I will be doing a pop/rock tournament following this one. The Beatles are more than suited for that one.

I am in no way whatsoever knocking their credibility because I love The Beatles. I have quite a bit of their material on my computer.then why did you include Dick Dale?

PMBR
February 5th, 2006, 5:43 PM
then why did you include Dick Dale?ok we can take him out if you like, or we can put The Beatles in it. either way just so that controversy can be avoided

Second City Saint
February 5th, 2006, 6:29 PM
ok we can take him out if you like, or we can put The Beatles in it. either way just so that controversy can be avoidedI was just saying if you weren't including pop/rock bands why would you include Dick Dale.

Sinner
February 5th, 2006, 6:31 PM
Blindside

Brian M.
February 5th, 2006, 6:39 PM
Just let the Beatles in. The title says "Greatest Rock Band Tournament." Not greatest Hard Rock Band.

PMBR
February 5th, 2006, 6:53 PM
ok no problem. The Beatles are in.

PMBR
February 5th, 2006, 6:54 PM

PMBR
February 5th, 2006, 7:17 PM

Big
February 5th, 2006, 9:27 PM
Eric Clapton
Skynard
Allman Brothers Band

PMBR
February 5th, 2006, 9:31 PM

Dazz
February 5th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Rammstein
Alice Cooper
Breaking Benjamin

And radiohead are NOT hard rock...in fact they aren't even music

PMBR
February 5th, 2006, 10:21 PM

PMBR
February 5th, 2006, 10:23 PM

Dazz
February 5th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Well, it's your game, I shall make sure I vote against them

In the meantime another nomination
CKY
Deftones
The Eagles

PMBR
February 5th, 2006, 10:30 PM

Dazz
February 5th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Bullet for my Valentine
Cradle of Filth
Sepultura
Cold
Il Nino

Second City Saint
February 5th, 2006, 11:28 PM
a lot of these suggestions suck.

Sorry, most of these bands are awful

Sinner
February 5th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Sevendust
Nonpoint
Seether
Mudvayne
Black Label Society
Ministry
George Thorogood
Orgy
Korn
Union Underground

Throb
February 5th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Dream Theater
Liquid Tension Experiment
Ayreon
Deftones

Sinner
February 6th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Aphasia
Dope
Soil
Queens of the Stone Age
Finger Eleven

ysanthl
February 6th, 2006, 1:35 AM
Lacuna Coil
Stabbing Westward
I might have missed them but if the Beatles are in there why not the Rolling Stones

Brian M.
February 6th, 2006, 1:35 AM
Live
Soundgarden
The Killers

Bruce Springsteen and Jimi Hendrix aren't bands BTW. I don't mind having them in the game, but some people might.

RockOverBoston
February 6th, 2006, 2:04 AM
Instead of stretching to get to 128 bands, why not just eliminate some of the acts who don't belong anywhere near a Greatest Anything Of Any Time list and go with a field of 64?

And even with hard rock as a criteria, The Beatles' "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey", among others, rocks much harder than anything a lot of these other acts have ever released.

PMBR
February 6th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Dazz
February 6th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Deftones are in there twice dude

PMBR
February 6th, 2006, 11:45 AM

PMBR
February 6th, 2006, 11:46 AM

relentless
February 6th, 2006, 11:50 AM
REM (and if people say they aren't rock, I would agree if they did'nt have rock band awards.)

PMBR
February 6th, 2006, 11:58 AM

PMBR
February 6th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Dazz
February 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Queen
CKY
Bob Seger
The Doors
Led Zepplin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Deftones
Firehouse

relentless
February 6th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Queen

CKY

Bob Seger

The Doors vs Point of Ares - void (never heard any of Point of Ares)

Led Zepplin

Lynard Skynard

Deftones

Metallica

RockOverBoston
February 6th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Queen - no contest
Cream - love CKY, but let's get real here
Bob Seger - Temple of the Dog had one album.
The Doors - again, not up for debate
Led Zeppelin - shitty matchup for Rush, who clearly won't win, but shouldn't be a first round casualty.
ZZ Top - the more diverse of the 2 bands
Deftones - Kansas had two hits, ever.
Metallica - someone explain to me why Firehouse is even an option when so many far better bands are nowhere to be seen.

PMBR
February 6th, 2006, 12:24 PM

RockOverBoston
February 6th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Yeah, I'm not knocking Kansas' two hit songs or anything - they're both quite good and have endured well, and the Deftones have yet to release a single that'll stand the test of time as well as "Carry On" or "Dust", but I think if you're going catalog vs. catalog, The Deftones have got a pretty substantial edge

Sinner
February 6th, 2006, 6:10 PM
Queen
Cream
Bob Seger
The Doors
Led Zepplin
Lynard Skynard
Kansas
Metallica

Brian M.
February 7th, 2006, 1:58 AM
Queen
Cream
Bob Segar
The Doors
Led Zepplin
Lynard Skynard
Deftones
Metallica

Dynomite
February 7th, 2006, 2:04 AM
Queen
Cream
Bob Seger
The Doors
Led Zepplin
ZZ Top
Deftones
Metallica

PMBR
February 7th, 2006, 7:18 AM

Rip
February 7th, 2006, 7:23 AM
Jimi Hendrix Experience

Megadeath

Slayer

Eric Clapton

Ronnie James Dio vs Tool ??????????

Jefferson Airplane

Cradle Of Filth vs George Thorogood and The Destroyers ??????????

Finger Eleven vs Mudvayne both poor so :dunno:

Aeida
February 7th, 2006, 7:25 AM
9. Jimi Hendrix Experience

10. Van Halen

11. Slayer

12. Eric Clapton

13. Tool

14. Coal Chamber

15. The Destroyers

16. Finger Eleven

relentless
February 7th, 2006, 7:37 AM
Jimi Hendrix Experience

Van Halen

Dropkick Murphys

Eric Clapton

Ronnie James Dio vs Tool - void

Jefferson Airplane

Cradle Of Filth vs George Thorogood and The Destroyers - void

Finger Eleven

Justin-Credible
February 7th, 2006, 9:45 AM
The Scorpions

Van Halen

Slayer

Derrick and The Dominoes

Ronnie James Dio

Jefferson Airplane

Cradle Of Filth

Mudvayne

Can you tell me why I see, The Killers, a band that isn't even rock on the list. But not one of the greatest Rock bands of all time Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR), isn't even on the list.

Aeida
February 7th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Because you didn't nominate them?

RockOverBoston
February 7th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Since there can only be 9 votes in a round... once you get 5 votes you automatically advance.

That's kind of silly - what if this tournament winds up with a larger turnout than that? It's a pretty interesting idea, so it very welll could -- I'm pretty sure it took more than 9 people to nominate 128 bands.

Also, it'd be interesting to see, when this one's finished, a different Top Bands Of All Time tourney with any sort of criteria for nomination -- hell, "at least 2 relatively famous albums" would probably eliminate over half this field alone.

Anyhow, on to today's selections:

- Jimi Hendrix Experience. Who the fuck nominated The Scorpions?
- Van Halen. Legendary. Megadeth, not so much
- Dropkick Murphys - neither of these bands should really be here - if the Murphys got nominated, then where the hell are Madness, the Specials or the BossToneS? That said, they're the more talented of the two bands, and if nothing else, they're forever interwoven into New England culture, as opposed to Slayer, who aren't forever interwoven into anything.
- Eric Clapton. Bizarre pairing. You know, since you're voting for Clapton either way here.
- Tool. No question. "you're too old to rock, no more rockin' for you!.........Dio, time to go!"
- Jefferson Airplane. Rock and Roll Hall of Famers. Coal Chamber might visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame someday.
- George Thoroughgood and the Delaware Destroyers. Another easy 1st round selection.
- Mudvayne - well, I guess this makes up for yesterday's Led Zep vs. Rush pairing - what the fuck are either of these bands doing here? Mudvayne's the less bad of the 2 -- their first album was passable, they've managed to create a few pretty solid singles since, and they've got a pretty loyal fanbase, whereas "One Thing" might be the nost appropriatly named song ever, as it's the One Thing they'll ever be remembered for.

Can you tell me why I see, The Killers, a band that isn't even rock on the list. But not one of the greatest Rock bands of all time Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR), isn't even on the list.

Devil's advocating a lost cause here -- The Killers do have a few rock songs on their one album. I think "On Top" will be the next single, so they'll have had at least one rock song on the radio. You've got an extremely valid point here, though -- CCR is a fucking enormous oversight.

The winner of Mudvayne vs. Finger Eleven should be CCR.

Brian M.
February 7th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Van Halen
Dropkick Murphys
Eric Clapton
Tool
Jefferson Airplane
George Thorogood and The Destroyers
Mudvayne

eugenespeed
February 7th, 2006, 11:42 AM
9. Jimi Hendrix Experience

10. Van Halen

11. Slayer

12 Eric Clapton

13. Tool

14. Jefferson Airplane

15. Cradle Of Filth

16. Mudvayne

Sinner
February 7th, 2006, 5:25 PM
Jimi Hendrix
Van Halen
Slayer
Eric Clapton
Tool
Jefferson Airplane
George Thorogood and The Destroyers
Finger Eleven

PMBR
February 7th, 2006, 6:23 PM

Dynomite
February 7th, 2006, 6:38 PM
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Van Halen
Slayer
Eric Clapton
Tool
Jefferson Airplane
Cradle Of Filth
Mudvayne

Sinner
February 7th, 2006, 6:56 PM
how dare you take 12 Stones out..

darkhorse
February 7th, 2006, 7:53 PM
Hendrix
Van Halen
Slayer
Eric Clapton
Dio
Jefferson Airplane
George Thorogood
Mudvayne

PMBR
February 8th, 2006, 7:42 AM

Rip
February 8th, 2006, 9:35 AM
Live vs Cold :dunno:

Rammstein

Blind Guardian vs Monster Magnet :dunno:

Radiohead

Bruce Springsteen

The Ramones - The Beatles are great, but not a rock band

Jethro Tull

Rainbow

PMBR
February 8th, 2006, 9:38 AM

Dazz
February 8th, 2006, 9:47 AM
17. Cold

18.Rammstein

19.Monster Magnet

20.Type O Negative

21. Bruce Springsteen

22.The Ramones

23. The Sex Pistols

24. The Clash

Annihilator
February 8th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Live.

Rammstein.

---------------

Radiohead.

A Perfect Circle.

The Beatles.

Jethro Tull.

Rainbow.

relentless
February 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Cold - Live are too similar to REM for my liking.

Rammstein - I like the atmospheric sound and passion put into their songs.

Blind Guardian vs Monster Magnet - void

Radiohead - I think they are unique and are always trying to find ways of releasing original work

Bruce Springsteen - He has withstood the test of time well.

The Beatles - If they aren't a rock band what the fuck are they doing in this competition? They are Legends and their is a reason they have what some claim is the biggest fan following of all time.

The Sex Pistols - Leaders of their genre.

The Clash - A group that blended various styles convincingly and released some great songs as a result.

someone please tell me The Jam are a part of this competition?

RockOverBoston
February 8th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Live - yeah, they may be similar in some cases to REM, but Cold are just flat-out derivative all the time.

OLP - though I'd go see Rammstein live well before I'd go see them, OLP are considerably more diverse, and have more than one hit under their belts.

Monster Magnet - so these are really 2 of the 128 greatest bands of all time, huh? Some of you need to expand your music libraries. A lot.

Radiohead - this is an absolute no-brainer.

Springsteen - I hate to vote against Maynard, but you're comparing a man with a 30+ year, legendary catalog to a side project with a total of 2 original studio albums and a fairly bad covers disc.

The Beatles - Hate voting against The Ramones, too, until I remember that, to a man, they all claim that without the Beatles, they don't exist. Plus, you know, the Beatles didn't just do different versions of the same 4 songs over and over again (though those 4 songs did kick ass.)

Jethro Tull - I'd say that a flute incorporated into a hard rock band is every bit as innovative as a manufactured punk rock band whose place in history is so often blatantly overstated and whose catalog is so ridiculously small.

The Clash - absolute legends, better and more influential than the Ramones or the Pistols, and Rainbow shouldn't be in this tournament anyway.

RockOverBoston
February 8th, 2006, 10:44 AM
By the by, I'm still looking for a valid explanation as to how the Beatles aren't a rock band. Fairly easy for me to find several dozen reasons why they are.

Justin-Credible
February 8th, 2006, 4:54 PM
Live- I always thought there music was awesome(I Alone, Thunder Crashes, etc...)

Rammstein- The only foreign language music I will listen to.

Monster Magnet- There music is good

Type O Negative- Cant stand Radiohead

Bruce Springsteen-Except for his version of Santa Claus is coming to town. Everytime I hear that song I want to throw my radio out the window.

The Beatles-Easy, since the Beatles pretty much started it all, plus they are my dads fav. so I used to hear them all the time.

Jethro Tull

The Clash

Sinner
February 8th, 2006, 5:42 PM
Cold
Rammstein
Monster Magnet
Type O Negative
A Perfect Circle
The Ramones
The Sex Pistols
The Clash

Dynomite
February 8th, 2006, 9:41 PM
Cold
Rammstein
Monster Magnet
Radiohead
A Perfect Circle
The Beatles
The Sex Pistols
The Clash

darkhorse
February 8th, 2006, 9:53 PM
Cold
Rammstein
Monster Magnet
Type O Negative
Springsteen
The Ramones
Sex Pistols
The Clash

RockOverBoston
February 8th, 2006, 10:27 PM
By the by, I'm still looking for a valid explanation as to how the Beatles aren't a rock band. Fairly easy for me to find several dozen reasons why they are.

In fact, that toned-down version of "Helter Skelter" McCartney just busted out at the Grammys ought to put this absolutely retarded argument to bed once and for all, dontcha think?

Brian M.
February 9th, 2006, 1:29 AM
Live

Our Lady Peace

Monster Magnet

Radiohead

Bruce Springsteen

The Beatles (:nono: to saying The Beatles aren't rock. I'm not their biggest fan, but come on now.)

The Sex Pistols

The Clash

PMBR
February 9th, 2006, 1:43 AM

Brian M.
February 9th, 2006, 2:04 AM
The Ramones - The Beatles are great, but not a rock band

Of course he also voted for Rainbow over The Clash, so meh.

PMBR
February 9th, 2006, 5:42 PM

Dynomite
February 9th, 2006, 5:51 PM
Live
The Union Underground
Nine Inch Nails
System Of A Down
Pantera
Deep Purple
Rage Against
Ministry
AC/DC

Some very hard choices in there.

Dazz
February 9th, 2006, 5:52 PM
17.Cold

25. The Union Underground vs Candlebox
26. Nine Inch Nails
27. System Of A Down
28. Pantera
29. Aerosmith
30. Rage Against The Machine
31. Audioslave
32. Red Hot Chili Peppers

RockOverBoston
February 9th, 2006, 8:33 PM
Tiebreaker: Live, same reasons as before.

Some pretty good matchups in this round, by the way. One pretty glaring exception.

The Union Underground vs. Candlebox -- what is this, some sort of joke? Did the Union Underground ever release a second album? Can anyone younger than 18 name more than, I dunno, 3 Candlebox songs?

Tell you what, I'm gonna say "neither" because it's the right answer, scrap that disposable noise, and I'll do a write-in matchup of bands that should be here but somehow aren't instead:

Sublime vs. The J. Geils Band. Wow, this one's kind of tricky. Sublime made a really, really big impact on rock music as a whole, but unfortunatly, that impact took place after their lead singer had OD'd and died. As a result, their catalog isn't as big as it could have been. The J. Geils Band sold millions of records, had a good dozen solid hits which were wildly different, catchy as all get-out, and are still getting played on the radio to this day, 25 years later. Sorry, Bradley, but I've gotta give the edge to The J. Geils Band.

Nine Inch Nails - Solid, solid artists who haven't become walking punchlines 10 years after they broke through. Whitesnake sure as hell can't say that.

System Of A Down - Even their worst album yet ("Steal This Album") had several smash hits, sold an assload of copies, and connected with a wide, diverse audience. Symphony X has yet to accomplish any of those feats once.

Pantera - 2 bands I like a lot, I might even like Bad Brains a bit more, but Pantera's the obvious answer here.

Aerosmith - Yeah, they haven't put out any truly good music in about 15 years now, but they put out a shitload of it before then.

Rage Against The Machine - They shut down the New York Stock Exchange, for fuck's sake.

Ministry - I prefer Audioslave, and by a lot, but 2 albums isn't quite enough to measure up here.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - AC/DC are quite good at what they do, but they're far less talented, and wouldn't know diversity if it walked up to them and kicked them each square in the balls.

Brian M.
February 10th, 2006, 12:33 AM
Live

I like ROB's selections better, so I'm going with Sublime. Not sure how I forgot them in the first place.

Nine Inch Nails

System Of A Down

Pantera

Aerosmith

Rage Against The Machine

Audioslave

Red Hot Chili Peppers

PMBR
February 10th, 2006, 1:22 AM

darkhorse
February 10th, 2006, 1:59 AM
Cold

Union Underground
Nine Inch Nails
System Of A Down
Pantera
Aerosmith
Rage Against The Machine
Ministry
AC/DC

relentless
February 10th, 2006, 4:45 AM
Cold - I'm not repeating myself.

The Union Underground vs Candlebox -void

Nine Inch Nails - This must be some kind of joke and definite mis-match. You could release White-snakes best songs on a double A side.

System Of A Down - They seem to have gathered a huge fan base and have sold Symphony x many times over.

Pantera - One of those old school bands, that you just know "if" they release a bad album. The next 2 will be better.

Aerosmith - Tough choice here as I appreciate both bands musical talents. However Aerosmith have been around for a very long time and it is a testament to their careers that they can still release songs that such a wide range of people from the old to the young can vibe to.

Rage Against The Machine - A band I spent most of my mis-spent youth listening to. Some people may not appreciate the metaphoric lyrics that a number of their songs contain. But, I have never been 1 for political correctness myself and understand the logic behind some of their anger.

Ministry vs Audioslave - void

Red Hot Chili Peppers - I know there will be people with "AC/DC tendencies" out there :lol:. But excluding all their other albums, I strongly believe "By The Way" is one of the best albums released in the last 10 years.

RockOverBoston
February 10th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Pantera - One of those old school bands, that you just know "if" they release a bad album. The next 2 will be better.

My man, I don't think you've gotta worry about Pantera releasing any bad new albums -- or good ones, for that matter.

Google "Dimebag" Darrell. Pretty fucked up shit, that.

Demonz
February 10th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Live

Candlebox
Nine Inch Nails
System Of A Down
Pantera
Deep Purple
Rage Against The Machine
Ministry
AC/DC

Sinner
February 10th, 2006, 3:18 PM
Cold

The Union Underground
Nine Inch Nails
System Of A Down
Pantera
Aerosmith
Rage Against The Machine
Audioslave
Red Hot Chili Peppers

eugenespeed
February 10th, 2006, 5:49 PM
17. Cold

25. The Union Underground
26. Nine Inch Nails
27. System Of A Down
28. Pantera
29. Deep Purple
31. Ministry
32. AC/DC

Tempest
February 10th, 2006, 5:54 PM
25. The Union Underground
26. Whitesnake
27. Symphony X
28. Pantera
29. Aerosmith
31. Audioslave
32. AC/DC

System Of A Down, my arse.

eugenespeed
February 10th, 2006, 6:06 PM
System Of A Down, my arse.

Now that's a group I'd like to see

Tempest
February 10th, 2006, 6:07 PM
Now that's a group I'd like to see

:lol:

They'd be a lot better than their namesake, that's for sure

PMBR
February 10th, 2006, 6:42 PM

Sinner
February 10th, 2006, 6:52 PM
Audioslave

Sublime
Motorhead
Alice Cooper
Powerman 5000
Drowning Pool
Bon Jovi Guns And Roses
Motley Crue

Dazz
February 10th, 2006, 7:07 PM
Audioslave

The Buzzcocks
Motorhead
Alice Cooper
The Who
Drowning Pool
Bon Jovi vs Trivium - not chosing
Liquid Tension Experiment vs Guns And Roses - void
Motley Crue

PMBR
February 10th, 2006, 7:08 PM
Audioslave

33. Sublime
34. Motorhead
35. Pink Floyd
36. The Who
37. Godsmack
38. Bon Jovi
39. Guns And Roses
40. Motley Crue

NOTE* Jefferson Airplane was listed twice. We need 1 more band for the tournament.

Dynomite
February 10th, 2006, 7:13 PM
Ministry

Sublime
Motorhead
Pink Floyd
The Who
Drowning Pool
Bon Jovi
Guns N' Roses
Motley Crue

Brian M.
February 10th, 2006, 7:16 PM
Audioslave

Sublime
Motorhead
Pink Floyd
The Who
Godsmack
Bon Jovi
Guns And Roses
Motley Crue

Throb
February 10th, 2006, 7:24 PM
Audioslave - No contest here

Sublime
Motorhead
Pink Floyd - If Cooper wins this matchup then it will be a travesty
The Who - P5000 is interesting, but it's the freakin' Who.
Drowning Pool - Not a big fan of either, but Godsmack is just awful.
Bon Jovi
Liquid Tension Experiment - GnR never really interested me, plus I'm a huge Petrucci fan.
Motley Crue

eugenespeed
February 10th, 2006, 7:42 PM
31. Ministry - Psalm 69 rules all :yes:

33. The Buzzcocks
34. Motorhead
35. Pink Floyd
36. The Who
37. Drowning Pool
38. Trivium
39. Guns And Roses
40. Motley Crue

Justin-Credible
February 10th, 2006, 7:47 PM
Audioslave SPECIAL TIEBREAKER

Sublime
Motorhead
Pink Floyd
The Who
Drowning Pool
Bon Jovi
Guns And Roses
Motley Crue

darkhorse
February 10th, 2006, 8:58 PM
Ministry

Sublime
Motorhead
Alice Cooper
Powerman 5000
Drowning Pool
Trivium
Guns 'N' Roses
Motley Crue

Leper Messiah
February 10th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Ministry

Sublime
Motorhead
Pink Floyd
The Who
Godsmack
Bon Jovi
Guns N Roses
Motley Crue

Annihilator
February 10th, 2006, 11:04 PM
----------------

Sublime.
Motorhead.
Pink Floyd.
The Who.
----------------
Bon Jovi.
Guns And Roses.
----------------

RockOverBoston
February 10th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Ministry - a day later, Audioslave have still only released 2 albums.

Sublime - Like the Buzzcocks, but they really don't compare.

Motorhead - no-brainer here.

Pink Floyd - though in his defense, Alice easily beats a good 2/3rds of the artists in this tournament, so he probably deserved a better fate.

The Who - to vote for Powerman 5000 here would be the equilavent of running down the street screaming "I don't know a Goddamned thing about rock music!"

Drowning Pool - both of these bands are fucking terrible, but I'll give a sympathy vote to the band with the more ironic big hit song, as the singer's body did, indeed, hit the floor.

Bon Jovi - Fucking hate 'em personally, but they've had a helluva run, and probably deserve to get through the first round in this type of tournament. Here's hoping their next matchup isn't against some disposable modern act or a hair metal band, because the second round is absolutely the furthest they should go.

Guns 'N Roses - and not by very much. If this sets up a matchup vs. Bon Jovi, they win that one by a wider margin.

Motley Crue - this one isn't even up for debate, and there's no explanation necessary.

Put the J. Geils Band in as the Jefferson Airplane replacement. They're more deserving than 2/3rds of these bands we've got here. If not them, did The Cars get nominated?

Not that they're as deserving nor were they as big as either The Cars or J. Geils, but I don't remember seeing STP on this list either, and they were bigger than all but 2 of the 90's bands that made the cut.

There's 3 options. They should probably all be inserted, really.

Sinner
February 10th, 2006, 11:27 PM
i didn't know this was a 'who released more albums' competition

*checks first page*

interesting..

RockOverBoston
February 11th, 2006, 8:04 AM
I'm assuming that was supposed to be funny. It wasn't, but you get an A for effort.

Look, let's try this as a hypothetical. So you've got two bands lined up against one another, right? One of them's got a large catalog of above-average music that many record buyers and critics have loved and the artist has had, let's say, a 15-20 year run of success.

You've got another who have released one or two really good albums over the course of the past 3 or 4 years, and that's it.

Unless the newer band is considerably better than the established act (read: unless the establish act is garbage, which in this hypothetical example they're not) the establish act has clearly established their place in history, while the newer band has probably had a few hits and might have a platinum album hanging on the wall.

It's ignorant as all fuck, then, to even attempt to say the newer band is historically more important than the older one, especially when that's the key criteria in any contest like this.

I'm assuming this humor-free response was to my voting for Ministry over Audioslave for the second time, citing the fact that Audioslave only have 2 albums as my key reason. If you'd actually bothered to read the whole thread, you'd have seen that I actually prefer Audioslave, but their infancy makes them obviously the wrong choice. Once Audioslave have another half dozen or so albums under their belts, or any of their music has stood any sort of test of time, then this becomes debateable. Until then, it's really not -- underneath it all, they're still at the point where they're best known for being a band made up of members of 2 bands who were considerably bigger than Audioslave are - both of whom I'd vote for over Ministry.

I guess you don't even get an A for effort. Ignorance, perhaps, but not effort.

eugenespeed
February 11th, 2006, 8:09 AM
Ministry - a day later, Audioslave have still only released 2 albums.

To add my opinion to this. I love Audioslave as well, but the reason I picked Ministry, is simply because Pslam 69 is one of my favourite albums ever.

Just One Fix takes me right back to my teenage years.

PMBR
February 11th, 2006, 9:31 AM

PMBR
February 11th, 2006, 9:39 AM

Dazz
February 11th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Sevendust
Seether
Oasis
Korn
Linkin Park
Green Day
The Eagles
Marilyn Manson

PMBR
February 11th, 2006, 10:45 AM

eugenespeed
February 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM
41. Sevendust
42. The Rolling Stones
43. Oasis
44. Dream Theater
45. Linkin Park
46. Green Day
47. The Eagles
48. Amen

Annihilator
February 11th, 2006, 11:22 AM
------------------
The Rolling Stones.
Oasis.
Dream Theater.
Linkin Park.
------------------
The Eagles.
Marilyn Manson.

Rolling Thunder
February 11th, 2006, 12:10 PM
Sevendust
The Rolling Stones
Oasis
Dream Theater
Linkin Park
Green Day
The Eagles
Marilyn Manson

Sinner
February 11th, 2006, 2:04 PM
Sevendust
The Rolling Stones
Black Label Society
Korn
Linkin Park
Green Day
The Eagles
Marilyn Manson

RockOverBoston
February 11th, 2006, 2:52 PM
Sevendust - they've definitly had their moments, anyway.

The Rolling Stones - no knock on Seether, but there are a very small number of bands who can win this matchup. They're not even close to being one of them.

Oasis - They're just too big of a global phenomenon to ignore, like them or not.

Korn - I like Dream Theater a whole helluva lot more, but let's face it, most people have never so much as heard of them, much less any of their music.

Linkin Park - Sadly, they're the stronger of the two bands in this matchup. They've released several ginormous albums, and some of their songs will clearly stand the test of time.

Green Day - As recently as last year, this would have been The Cars, without question. For a punk band to absolutely blow the fuck up, slowly fade away, then blow the fuck up even bigger 10 years later is something most of today's bands just aren't capable of doing, and huge as they once were, The Cars couldn't have had as successful of a re-emergence in '96.

The Police - To me, this is one that could easily go either way, and in this continent would probably shift slightly toward The Eagles. Everyone's heard at least a dozen songs by each of these two bands thousands of times, and they've both sold about 2.3 gazillion records. With that being said, The Police are by far the bigger band historically everywhere in the world but North America, they're notably better musicians and songwriters than The Eagles, their catalog shows far more musical diversity, The Eagles never released a single album nearly as good as "Synchronicity", The Police resisted the termpation to reunite, record a bunch of shitty new songs and charge way too much money for concert tickets 15 years after their run was up, and with the notable exception of "Roxanne", their mega-hit songs are considerably less annoying than those of The Eagles. Having said that much about this matchup.........

Marilyn Manson - it's a mismatch here, plain and simple.

------------------(Cars vs. Green Day)

If you've seen a Circuit City commercial in the past 6 months, you've heard at least one Cars song, and I've got a hard time believing you haven't heard several others, you just may not realize who they were. Pretty safe to say that you can definitly cast a vote for this one.

Brian M.
February 11th, 2006, 4:49 PM
Sevendust
The Rolling Stones
Oasis
Korn
Linkin Park
Green Day
The Police
Marilyn Manson

RockOverBoston
February 11th, 2006, 7:32 PM
Actually the replacement for the second Jefferson Airplane, as I was reminded of by a good friend of mine, is......

Sting

The Police, absolutely. Sting solo, absolutely not.

I'm fairly certain that there's really no way that Sting can be considered a rock artist by anyone - as a solo artist, he's released nothing but adult contemporary pop hits. The closest thing to a rock song the guy's dropped by himself is "If You Love Somebody Set Them Free", which really doesn't resemble rock music in any way, shape or fashion. Solo Sting is best known for "All This Time", "Fortress Around Your Heart", "We'll Be Together", "If I Ever Lose My Faith In You" and that horrific Robin Hood theme with Bryan Adams and Rod Stewart.

There's nothing that even resembles a rock song in that whole bunch, nor on any of his albums -- and what's more, since no one under, what, 45-50 actually buys these albums, what's the sense of putting him in this tournament even if he did still produce rock music?

Sting himself fully acknowledges that his rock and roll days are a good 20 years behind him, and everything he's released in the past 2 decades only proves this.

Kneeneighbor
February 11th, 2006, 7:37 PM
Round One... Part 6
41. Sevendust
42. The Rolling Stones
43. Black Label Society
44. Korn
45. Slipknot
46. The Cars
47. The Eagles
48. Marilyn Manson

PMBR
February 11th, 2006, 7:37 PM
I really do value your opinions. Considering that The Police are already in the tournament, who do you suggest to be involved instead.

RockOverBoston
February 11th, 2006, 7:43 PM
I wasn't sure there were any really major oversights left, but then like some sort of sign, shit you not, "Truckin'" just came on the radio.

They'll probably get knocked out immediatly judging by all of our votes and what everyone's taste who's voting leans toward, but seriously, how the hell did all of us forget the Grateful Dead?

PMBR
February 11th, 2006, 7:44 PM

RockOverBoston
February 11th, 2006, 7:53 PM
If everybody votes only when we're stoned from here on out, that could be significant.

Dynomite
February 11th, 2006, 8:32 PM
Sevendust
The Rolling Stones
Oasis
Korn
Slipknot
Green Day
The Police
Marilyn Manson

Leper Messiah
February 11th, 2006, 9:11 PM
Sevendust
The Rolling Stones
Oasis
Korn
Slipknot
Green Day
The Police
Marilyn Manson

PMBR
February 12th, 2006, 9:30 AM

Dazz
February 12th, 2006, 10:29 AM
49. Alice In Chains vs Orgy - void
50. Static X
51. Queens Of The Stone Age
52. Lacuna Coil
53. Diamondhead vs Avenged Sevenfold - void
54. Breaking Benjamin
55. Iron Maiden vs The Allman Brothers Band - void
56. Creedence Clearwater Revival vs Staind - void

RockOverBoston
February 12th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Alice In Chains - not much of a contest here, really. Orgy just don't measure up to AIC in any way.

Static X - pretty lucky matchup for them, really. Not a band that should be making any noise in this tournament, or even winning a round, but with that in mind, they've left Blindside in the dust.

Queens of the Stone Age - Interesting matchup.....does the winner get to face Queen in the second round? In fairness to Queensryche, they're a much better band than they're given credit for historically, and it's somewhat unfair that they got slapped with the "hair metal" tag just because of when they blew up. That said, this is a closer matchup than most will give it credit for, but QOTSA win due to the facts that they've already strung together a better run than Queensryche ever did and that they're clearly not going anywhere anytime soon.

I'm going to pass on voting for Lacuna Coil vs. Velvet Revolver, but I'll explain why. Despite having only one album and a soundtrack single under their belts, Velvet Revolver have clearly made the far bigger short-term impact and all indications are that they'll be the far, far bigger band when all is said and done, but there's always the possibility that Scott Weiland could relapse and/or drop dead tomorrow, which might allow Lacuna Coil, or anyone, to surpass them. G 'N R belong in this tournament, as do STP, but Weiland's volatility doesn't allow me to vote for the new band that's comprised of both of their members -- if Weiland falls off the wagon and stays alive, the next VR album could very well be unlistenable, like the last STP album was.

Avenged Sevenfold - a bit premature to be throwing them into such a tournament, but they've paid some of their dues to get to where they are today, and where they are today is a pretty lofty position in the world of rock music. Don't know whether or not they'll remain there, but that's far more likely than Diamondhead having a #1 video on TRL.

White Zombie - here's one that might be worth revisiting in a few years, as Breaking Benjamin just keep on churning out big rock hits. If they keep that up for a few years, this might be up for debate. Until then, it's White Zombie, and somewhat convincingly.

The Allman Bros. - Let me know when Iron Maiden are capable of selling out enormous tours every summer despite not having released a relevant album in decades.

CCR - they're absolute legends, whereas Staind just aren't very good when they're at their best and appear to be getting worse with each album.

Sinner
February 12th, 2006, 4:02 PM
Alice In Chains50
Blindside
Queens Of The Stone Age
Lacuna Coil
Avenged Sevenfold
White Zombie
Iron Maiden
Staind

Brian M.
February 12th, 2006, 6:22 PM
Alice In Chains
Static X
Queens Of The Stone Age
Velvet Revolver
Avenged Sevenfold
White Zombie
The Allman Brothers Band
Creedence Clearwater Revival

Leper Messiah
February 12th, 2006, 9:33 PM
Alice in Chains
(VOID) Static-X vs Blindside: Haven't heard any Blindside
Queens of the Stone Age
(VOID) Lacuna Coil vs Velvet Revolver: Haven't heard enough Lacuna Coil
Avenged Sevenfold
White Zombie
Iron Maiden

PMBR
February 13th, 2006, 7:18 AM

PMBR
February 13th, 2006, 7:25 AM

PMBR
February 13th, 2006, 7:29 AM

Dazz
February 13th, 2006, 9:54 AM
52. Lacuna Coil
57. Kiss
58. REM
59. Soundgarden vs Pantokrator
60. Nirvana
61. Pearl Jam
62. Grateful Dead vs Stabbing Westward
63. Stone Temple Pilots vs Machinehead
64. Black Sabbath

PMBR
February 13th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Dazz
February 13th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Dave Grohl was barely a passable drummer

Have to disagree there, Dave Grohl is considered one of the best drummers in the world

PMBR
February 13th, 2006, 10:32 AM

relentless
February 13th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Lacuna Coil vs Velvet Revolver - void

Kiss - timeless entertainers of the rock n roll World

REM - Ayreon have'nt been round long enough for there to be any other answer here.

Soundgarden vs Pantokrator - void

Nirvana - more successful and bring back happy memories

Pearl Jam - I can't stand them but this is'nt a popularity contest.

Grateful Dead - seems like they have been around since B.C.

Stone Temple Pilots - Machinehead make ears bleed not guitars.

Black Sabbath - No explanation required.

Dazz
February 13th, 2006, 10:36 AM
By who? Ignorant people and non-musicians? I am a drummer. Trust me, Dave Grohl plays nothing but standard rock beats and simple fills. Thats why he is much better as a frontman and guitarist.

OK that was harsh. I'll rephrase. Dave Grohl's workings with Nirvana shows very little skill or technical ability. He is honestly an average drummer and I won't demean him to something less than that.

I'm only going on what I've heard people say. I'm a guitarist myself, not a brilliant one I'll admit, and I've never thought him to be that bad. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree

RockOverBoston
February 13th, 2006, 11:23 AM
By who? Ignorant people and non-musicians? I am a drummer. Trust me, Dave Grohl plays nothing but standard rock beats and simple fills. Thats why he is much better as a frontman and guitarist.

Dave Grohl plays every note and every beat of every instrument on the first Foo Fighters albums, and all but 2 of those songs were recorded in one take. I encourage you to listen to that album again with this in mind. If that still somehow doesn't convince you, check out the Probot album, where his drumwork goes far beyond "standard rock beats and simple fills" - same can be said for many of the tracks on QOTSA's "Songs For The Deaf" and the Tenacious D album.

All that I'm saying, is give Dave a chance. Even if Nirvana were as thoroughly average as you seem to think (and shouldn't the "Unplugged" disc alone kill that argument, really?), that still makes them far, far better than Dope.

On to today's vote:

Still can't vote on the tiebreaker.

Kiss - There's really not much to debate here. 3 decades later, their fanbase, surprisingly, is still extremely large and devoted, while DIsturbed have clearly already run their course.

REM - longevity alone makes this an easy decision, plus they're a more diverse band than they're often given credit for.

Soundgarden - I tell you what, if you want to hear a band truly evolve over the course of a decade, I encourage you to check out the entire Soundgarden catalog. The differences between Ultramega, Louder Than Love, etc. and Down On The Upside are fairly shocking. There's that, plus there's the fact that Pantokrator aren't nearly one of the 128 best bands of all time.

Nirvana - no explanation necessary, really.

Pearl Jam - rock band of the '90s, they've survived several shifting rock and roll trends, they're still an incredibly successful touring act on a global scale, and you get the feeling that as they get older and continue to mature musically, plus now that they're not confined to the restrictions of a major label, their best album may still be forthcoming.

Grateful Dead - Yeah, definitly not a fan, and I have been known to enjoy drugs, so I guess by all stereotypes I probably should be. Drugs don't make me interested in 20 minute noodling guitar solos, but if that works for you, great. That being said, biggest touring band of all freakin' time, absolutely rabid fanbase which continues to grow, and they're gonna do better in this tournament than any of us would probably like, as it'll take another megaband who you can actually justify voting over them to eliminate them.

STP - Can't vote for Velvet Revolver, this Weiland option is a far easier decision. Were it not for the man's love of hypodermic needles, they'd still be a functioning act, every album they released went top 5 in America and were equally successful in many other countries, and a few of their songs, most notably "Interstate Love Song", have already earned a place in the history books. Machinehead, none of the above.

Black Sabbath - absolutely no explanation necessary.

Brian M.
February 13th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Velvet Revolver

Kiss
REM
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Grateful Dead
Stone Temple Pilots
Black Sabbath

Extremely lopsided round. I didn't even really have to think about any of these.

eugenespeed
February 13th, 2006, 3:37 PM
52.Velvet Revolver

57. Kiss
58. REM
59. Soundgarden
60. Nirvana
61. Pearl Jam
62. Grateful Dead
63. Stone Temple Pilots
64. Black Sabbath

Sinner
February 13th, 2006, 5:32 PM
Lacuna Coil

Disturbed
REM
Soundgarden
Dope
Pearl Jam
Grateful Dead
Machinehead
Black Sabbath

Dynomite
February 13th, 2006, 5:42 PM
Velvet Revolver
Kiss
REM
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Grateful Dead
Machinehead
Black Sabbath

Brian M.
February 13th, 2006, 7:48 PM
I'm just baffled that people are voting for Dope over Nirvana. I mean, OK you don't like Nirvana. Just ignore that fact. They've clearly had more impact than Dope.

PMBR
February 13th, 2006, 9:50 PM

canuckin
February 13th, 2006, 10:09 PM
57. Kiss
58. REM
59. Soundgarden
60. Nirvana
61. Sepultura
62. Grateful Dead
63. Stone Temple Pilots
64. Black Sabbath

Annihilator
February 13th, 2006, 11:41 PM
--------------

Kiss.
REM.
--------------
Nirvana.
Sepultura.
--------------
--------------
Black Sabbath.

Leper Messiah
February 14th, 2006, 1:52 AM
(void) Lacuna Coil vs Velvet Revolver

Kiss
REM
Soundgarden
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Grateful Dead
Stone Temple Pilots
Black Sabbath

RockOverBoston
February 14th, 2006, 9:13 AM
I personally have never seen anything special in Nirvana. Their music is, as I already said, rather simple to play, the lyrical content is terrible ("Rape me my friend" "I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn black") and Cobain's voice truly isn't that appealing to me.

Read what I said, I even said that Grohl's work with Nirvana is what I was criticizing and not what he did with other bands.

I am partial to Dope mainly because I've seen them live numerous occassions, know Edsel personally and they are really nice guys. Their live show is truly phenomenal.

I totally understand personal preference and all, but you're ranking Dope above Nirvana in a Greatest Rock Bands of All Time, and hate them or not, there's really no way to justify that -- I've voted for bands that I flat-out dislike over bands I quite enjoy just because my personal preferences aside, they're the obvious choice.

Nirvana aren't overrated because Cobain's dead - shockingly, his death really didn't do much for their album sales nor their legacy, which were already ginormous - they're overrated because they were the right band at the right time. Could have been any of those Seattle bands, Smashing Pumpkins, or a few others, but their smash single dropped first, just after American listeners had become sick to death of hair rock. Simple as.

PMBR
February 14th, 2006, 3:03 PM

Dazz
February 14th, 2006, 3:17 PM
Queen - versataile and have stood the test of time with ease
---------------
Korn - Pretty unique band you created their own niche in the market and just keep on going
---------------
Marilyn Manson - The self proclaimed god of fuck is brash, in your face and doesn't care what people think of him or his music, also he's one of the few artists around who can make a cover seem as good if not better than the original
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Hair metal Vs legends...no contest
The Who - Rock gods
S.O.A.D - original material, huge variation between all of their songs, slightly insane and they stand up for what they believe in

PMBR
February 14th, 2006, 3:40 PM

RockOverBoston
February 14th, 2006, 4:51 PM
Queen - maybe 20 years down the road (perhaps a bit sooner if the "new" Queen pisses all over their legacy), this'll be up for some sort of debate, but for now, it's really not even close. Mercury was one of the most charismatic frontmen to ever hit the stage, his voice is often imitated, never duplicated, the band themselves are painfully underrated, and they've just got so many meaningful global hit songs.

Static - X - neither of these bands should even be in this tournament, much less made it to the second round. Instead of abstaining from voting, though, I'll go for the less undeserving of the two. This should set up a unanimous vote for someone else in round 3.

George Thorogood and the Deleware Destroyers - admittedly, this one's close, and it's probably only one solid Korn album away from going the other way. George and company pretty much cornered the market on roadhouse drinking anthems and have had something in the range of a dozen songs in extremely heavy rotation at classic rock stations across the country for well over 2 decades now. Korn have had a helluva run, and again might be the choice here a year from now, but have really cornered the market on nothing, and their earliest singles have all but faded into obscurity.

Sublime - maybe the toughest choice of this tournament so far. Both have been overly immortalized due a bit too much to prominent deaths in the bands, both had chart-topping albums, both had extremely large American fanbases. For this one, I had to go to intangibles, all of which favor one band. There will obviously be numerous Sublime songs played on classic rock stations 20 years from now, whereas you might hear "Walk" every once in a blue moon. Sublime can fill a legitimate "greatest hits" album, Pantera cannot. Sublime sold tens of millions of records outside of America with a smaller catalog than Pantera's. Sublime's sideprojects have all been far more successful than Pantera's -- and really what it all boils down to is that Sublime were, are, and will continue to be the bigger of these 2 bands, and really not by any small margin.

Marilyn Manson - not even a close contest here. They broke through to the mainstream at nearly the same time, and while they were slightly bigger than Manson early on and certainly weren't the two hit, one album wonders they were said to be before, Live have definitly been a non-factor for the better part of a half decade now.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - When people that are stuck in the 80's wanna rock, the Crue are on their playlist. When white trash wanna rock, Lynyrd Skynyrd are their playlist. It's all about longevity here, because the Crue at their peak were far bigger than Skynyrd were at theirs, but loads of Skynyrd's catalog still gets played daily across the country whereas many of the Crue's hits, much like earky Korn, have not stood the test of time whatsoever. My vote is admittedly swayed by the fact that I was raised on American rock radio -- if I lived in any other country, this vote would likely go the other way, as the Crue were far bigger internationally -- even with that, though, I can't ignore just how huge Skynyrd are in my own backyard.

The Who - there is absolutely no real need for any explanation here unless someone were to insanely pick Slayer.

System Of A Down - they've been around longer, their worst album is better than Linkin Park's best album, they've got lyrical integrity for days whereas Linkin Park have yet to pen a single truly memorable line, and while Linkin Park's star is beginning to dim, S.O.A.D's continues to rise.

That said, Lou Pearlman had absolutely nothing to do with assembling Linkin Park (or anything to do with Linkin Park in general), and they do write their own material -- the band consists of members of 2 legitimate groups that were signed for pieces of each band, immediatly disassembled, and repackaged as Linkin Park. What you're stating is a widespread, factless rumor, but in reality, the Linkin Park saga is far more similar to the story of the Sex Pistols than to that of any boy band.

relentless
February 14th, 2006, 5:23 PM
Queen - album sales, fan base and entertainment value alone completely wipe aside Queens Of The Stone Age with ease.

Static X vs The Union Underground - void

Korn vs George Thorogood and The Destroyers - void

Pantera - Some say they are better than Metallica. Using that Logic are Sublime anywhere near Metallica's league? No, hence the answer is what it is.

Marilyn Manson - I think he is the Eminem of the alternative scene. So I am not at all surprised they have joined forces in the past. An artist who is'nt afraid to be a poster child for controversy and use his lyrics to spread his perceptions and perspectives on the general public.

Lynard Syknard - I like Motley crue but Skynard are Kings of their chosen art. Whereas Motley crue are pretenders to the throne.

The Who - Another Legendary band in the eyes of many. Slayer could'nt accumulate half the ticket sales The Who have sold. Even if they had both debuted at the same time.

System Of A down - Everything from their name to the versatility of their music is better than Linkin park.

Takerholic
February 14th, 2006, 6:19 PM
Queen-----How many bands have been at a point where almost ever song they made was a hit? Not too many, and How many bands have made the ultimate song Synonymous with sports? (we will rock you-we are the champions)

George Thorogood and The Destroyers----you can say whatever you want about Korn...but without these guys, there'd be no such thing as "Bad To The Bone!"

Pantera----Not only are these guys one of my three favorite bands of all time...but with Vinnie Paul on Drums and Dimebag Darryl (RIP) on guitar, none of these bands stand a chance! My pick to win it all!

Marylin Manson----He wins this one just because of who he's against

Lynard Skynard----Motely Creu is cool...but put shout at the devil or any other crue song against FREEBIRD and you'll know why Skynard wins this!

Slayer-----Just because you can mosh to slayer and not the who

SYSTEM OF A DOWN VS LINKIN PARK-----I Hate both of these bands more than all of my ex-girlfriends combined so neither wins

Brian M.
February 14th, 2006, 7:31 PM
Queen- One of the greatest vocalists of all time, and plenty of songs that have easily lasted the test of time. QOTSA could be in the same league 10 years down the line, but right now Queen has about 5 songs that any man on the street would instantly recognize at the first note.

Static-X VS Union Underground- I don't really know enough about either band to make a solid vote, so void.

George Thorogood and The Destroyers- Very close, but once again I'm going to have to go with the arguement that they have more songs that would be instantly recognizable to Joe Schmoe music listener.

Sublime- As ROB said, their music will no doubt stand the test of time better than Pantera.

Marilyn Manson- I hate to do this as I love Live and I'm not a huge Manson fan, but he's clearly had the bigger impact on rock music and has a larger fanbase.

Lynard Skynard- Once again, gonna have to pull the more recognizable card. The also have more range than the Crue.

The Who- An all time classic, whereas Slayer pretty much just reaches out to one demographic.

System of a Down- Just an all around better band. Linkin Park hasn't produced a great album yet, so I don't think they can be considered.

Dynomite
February 14th, 2006, 7:48 PM
Queen - Queen's music his inspired musician's for years. And some of their songs are larger than life.

Static X - Static X's style of music to me is interesting because I'm a fan of Intrustial music. Their fast high energy songs blow Union Underground out of the water.

Korn - It might be uncool to like Korn now, but in the 90s they were a breath of fresh, and created a new genre.

Pantera - To me these guy are metal personified. People say that their music sounded nothing like the metal of old, and I agree, but I find Phil's voice more enjoyable than Kind Diamond's.

Marilyn Manson - His music is much more intelligent than people give it credit for. Each one of his albums were a success in their own right, and none of his albums sounded the same.

Motley Crue - These guys are Hair Metal at its best. While I like GNR's a bit more, I know that Motley Crue was selling out stadiums alot longer.

Slayer - How long have these guys been around? Whether it was the speed of Angel of Death or the epic feel of South of Heaven, Slayer to me was the Metal band of the 80's.

System Of A down - SoaD's music changes with each album, the music becomes more mytsic. Linkin Park's music changes to, the problem was it become more commercial.

Brian M.
February 14th, 2006, 7:59 PM
How can you vote for Slayer over The Who? :nono:

Dynomite
February 14th, 2006, 8:15 PM
Personal choice. I like the Who, but Slayer has grown on me.

I actually used to hate them. But I friend gave me thier entire catalog in MP3 format, and I slowly warmed up to them.

Leper Messiah
February 15th, 2006, 12:49 AM
QUEEN - In my mind, one of the best rock bands ever, probably in the top 10 with numerous hit singles and one the very best lead singers in Freddie Mercury. Queens of Stone Age, while pretty good, are relatively new and don't stand a chance currently when measured against the rock gods, Queen.

(void) - I could really care less which of these bands moves on to next round, but I'm pretty sure neither deserves it.

GEORGE THOROGOOD - I liked Korn's first few albums and they were trendsetters in 90s with their bizarre vocals, 7-string guitars and top notch bass playing by Fieldy. But like others mentioned Thorogood and his band performed huge rock staples in which half a dozen or so are still played on rock stations (and seedy dive bars). If Korn had kept up with their early success instead of just churning out album after album with lesser quality songs, I would've voted them past Thorogood.

PANTERA - Two great bands in vastly different genres, and I really don't know which band will be more significant ten years from now. Pantera was very well thought of in the metal genre for number of years and Sublime had such a huge cult following in the beginning which transformed into good commercial pop success with their self-titled album years later. I simply go with Pantera because of the impact it had on me during high school... and Dimebag being one of the reasons I picked up my first guitar back in 1992.

MARILYN MANSON - Not much reasoning behind this, as I see Manson way in front of Live in terms of commercial success, talent and significance to rock music.

LYNYRD SKYNYRD - "Freebird", "Sweet Home Alabama", "Tuesday's Gone", "What's Your Name?" and "Simple Man". All originally recorded in 1970s and all still played on airwaves everywhere, while "Freebird" is one of the top songs of all-time, with one of the best guitar solos ever. The Crue had their share of hits, too, but their music sounds strangely outdated while Skynyrd's does not (to me anyway).

THE WHO - Slayer is without a doubt one of the premier metal bands ever, but they can't compare to The Who, who like Queen, Floyd, the Stones, the Beatles, Zeppelin and a few others, are truly immortal in the rock world. Daltrey was a tremendous frontman, Townsend was a guitar wiz and Moon was fucking insane.

SYSTEM OF A DOWN - Agree completely with ROB here. One band is on their way up and one is struggling on MTV shows to stay relevent. Lyrically, Malakian's tunes shit on Linkin Park's best song. SOAD's music is refreshing in that they stray so far from the norm, yet consistently deliver new and exciting music with each release.

RockOverBoston
February 15th, 2006, 2:49 AM
Queen-----How many bands have been at a point where almost ever song they made was a hit?

"None" would be the correct answer here, by the way.

15 albums producing 12 hit singles isn't anywhere near "almost every song they made" being a hit, and they went without a legitimate hit single for the last 10 years of Mercury's life stateside.

How can you vote for Slayer over The Who? :nono:

Apparantly, "because you can mosh to Slayer" is an acceptable answer here.

Personal choice. I like the Who, but Slayer has grown on me.

I actually used to hate them. But I friend gave me thier entire catalog in MP3 format, and I slowly warmed up to them.

And this all puts them anywhere near The Who's level historically how, exactly?

Dynomite
February 15th, 2006, 3:27 AM
And this all puts them anywhere near The Who's level historically how, exactly?

I could never connect to the Who's music. I'm not denying that the Who is historical. I'm just saying when given the choice between the two, I chose Slayer. It's purely I personal choice.

PMBR
February 15th, 2006, 11:39 AM

RockOverBoston
February 15th, 2006, 12:05 PM
The Clash - pretty retarded matchup here, and I'm wondering just how this seeding is being done, because this can't be random and there are clearly no brackets. It's really far too early for either of these hugely influential bands to be getting pitched, especially when you consider that the considerably less important Static-X have moved on. We literally just voted for Nirvana late in the 2nd round and here they are again early in the 3rd, which really doesn't make a lick of sense -- Consider this me officially changing my vote for Static-X vs Union Underground to Nirvana, because that makes a helluva lot more sense. Since this matchup exists for reasons that are completely beyond me, though, The Clash were the more influential of the two bands and were far more important to a budding genre of music than nearly any other band I can think of. That all being said, I'd love an explanation for this matchup.

Jefferson Airplane - they later went on to re-name themselves Jefferson Starship, and altogether were an act that functioned at an extremely high level of popularity while delving into all kinds of different music for nearly 2 decades. Cream had one album, were one of several Clapton side projects, and had all of two songs that Joe Public might recognize.

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band -- there's really no need to explain this one at all, is there?

The Doors - this one definitly doesn't require any explanation.

The Beatles - simply put, from the mouths of Page and Plant themselves, without the Beatles, there is no Led Zepplin. What's more, as big as Led Zep were, they truly don't measure up in any way, shape or form to the Beatles' legacy, still going strong over 40 years later. None do, really.

Aerosmith - aside from any of the other numerous reasons, these tweo bands toured together 2 summers ago. For a rather huge number of reasons, Kiss were the opening act and Aerosmith for the headliners. There was absolutely no debate about who was the bigger of the two acts then, and there still isn't.

Metallica - they've got about a fifth of the musical talent of Radiohead, who to a man are some of the more vast, incredible musicians who have attained a large mainstream following of our generation. That being said, they're just not as big as Metallica......yet. It's pretty close, though, and as more and more huge acts clearly influenced by Radiohead continue to emerge and as they continue releasing huge, diverse albums and going on enormous world tours while Metallica continues shitting on their own name, this seems to be a matchup that'd clearly go the other way in the not too distant future.

Pink Floyd - love the Deftones - quite a bit more than Pink Floyd, in fact, but this is an absolute mismatch on every possible level.

Dazz
February 15th, 2006, 12:24 PM
The Clash V Nirvana - The Clash, for pretty much the reason ROB gave. They're far more influential and as I think ROB said in the previous round, Nirvana were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, not that that takes anything away from them

Cream V Jefferson Airplane - void

Bob Seager V Sevendust - void

The Doors V Avenged Sevenfold - The Doors, simply because Avenged Sevenfold are far too new and haven't proven themselves yet

The Beatles V Led Zepplin - No contest, The Beatles, they were the first major commercial rock band and set the trend for many other bands. That and they're still selling records now says it all

Aerosmith V Kiss - Aerosmith, had more success on in both the UK and USA than Kiss did and are still going strong today

Metallica V Radiohead - Metallica, I can't stand either of these bands and the only reason I've voted for Metallica is because I like one of there songs, which is one more than Radiohead

Deftones v Pink Floyd - No contest, Pink Floyd all the way. Deftones are a great band but nothing theyve released will come close to Dark Side of the Moon

PMBR
February 15th, 2006, 1:14 PM
Because ROB asked, the way that I am pairing the bands is that I have a list of every band in the tournament in a list. I close my eyes, move the mouse and click. Whoever I click gets put in next. I scroll a little bit and do it again. Nothing complex but completely random.

I honestly thought that ROB had taste in music until he made the extremely ignorant comment that Metallica has ONE FIFTH the musical talent of Radiohead. Kirk Hammett is considered one of the top 10 guitarists in the world and was named so in Guitar Magazine. James Hetfield was listed in the top 50. Lars Ulrich is one of the most innovating and phenomenal drummers I've ever heard and between Cliff Burton, Jason Newsted and Robert Trujillo, are you seriously going to debate the skill that these men have had with a bass guitar. Unless that was a typo and "musical talent" is not the phrase that you meant to say, or you are confusing Radiohead for someone much better than themlike Metallicathen you have no idea what you are talking about.

Anyway

The Clash - I have already given my opinion of Nirvana. That and the fact that The Clash are incredible.

Jefferson Airplane - "Somebody To Love" to this day remains one of my favorite tracks.

Bob Seger - Sevendust doesn't belong in this tournament let alone matched up with Seger.

The Doors - Avenged Sevenfold have a ridiculously incredible pair of guitarists and a drummer who makes me tremble, but its The Fucking Doors.

Led Zeppelin - The Beatles were great and everything, but just because someone inspired you doesn't mean that you can't become something better than them. Legacy or not, Led Zepplin is the better band. Remember, we arent arguing who was the largest known band, or who sold more records, but who is actually better.

Aerosmith - Kiss never really did much for me, while Aerosmith released classics for decades.

Metallica - I already explained this once in this comment

Pink Floyd - I'm still arguing that Deftones shouldn't have come close to touching Kansas, while I think would be a better matchup for Floyd than Chino Mareno

Dazz
February 15th, 2006, 1:54 PM
Kirk Hammett is considered one of the top 10 guitarists in the world and was named so in Guitar Magazine. James Hetfield was listed in the top 50.

not wanting to get into an argument but thats the same sort of thing I was basing my comment on Dave Grohl being one of the best drummers in the world and you shot me down point blank. Like I said, I don't want to get into an argument but you can't shoot down my argument and then use exactly the same one yourself

PMBR
February 15th, 2006, 1:57 PM
Who named Dave Grohl that high? I specifically sited his material with Nirvana as his average stuff.

Aside from that, Metallica is renound for their skill. Nobody comments on Dave Grohl for technical skill.

RockOverBoston
February 15th, 2006, 2:16 PM
Because ROB asked, the way that I am pairing the bands is that I have a list of every band in the tournament in a list. I close my eyes, move the mouse and click. Whoever I click gets put in next. I scroll a little bit and do it again. Nothing complex but completely random.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, that. Random placement in the first round, absolutely, but from there, you're locked into brackets. I can't think of a tournament, ever, that doesn't use such a formula. Without that, there are bound to be questions of the validity of the reseeding, which there will obviously be when the 2 bands you've been most vocally opposed to in this entire tournament are prematurely and inexplicably seeded against bands they could concievably lose to.

Plus, this right here proves it's all bullshit:

To answer RockOverBostons question... yes, just for fun I had already decided that the winner of Queensryche and Queens Of The Stone Age would go on to face Queen in the next round.

So, by your won words, there's absolutely nothing random about these pairings.

I honestly thought that ROB had taste in music until he made the extremely ignorant comment that Metallica has ONE FIFTH the musical talent of Radiohead. Kirk Hammett is considered one of the top 10 guitarists in the world and was named so in Guitar Magazine. James Hetfield was listed in the top 50. Lars Ulrich is one of the most innovating and phenomenal drummers I've ever heard and between Cliff Burton, Jason Newsted and Robert Trujillo, are you seriously going to debate the skill that these men have had with a bass guitar.

Using stats from a publication that is notably hugely biased toward hard rock guitarists really doesn't help an argument whatsoever, plus Radiohead has never leaned on any particular instrument - they don't have to, as each member play several instruments at an extremely high level, and the complete and total randomness of each and every song is reflective of that, where each and every Metallica song, regardless of the individual talents of the musicians involved, adheres to a very strict formula that is by no means particularly unique.

My critique isn't ignorant, but presenting a haevily biased, pro-Metallica argument that doesn't take any of Radiohead's well established credentials into consideration sure is.

Unless that was a typo and "musical talent" is not the phrase that you meant to say, or you are confusing Radiohead for someone much better than themlike Metallicathen you have no idea what you are talking about.

That's just editorialization. "Much better than them" is nothing more than an opinion, and it's been established that your rant has completely ignored what musical talent Radiohead brings to the table.

And aside from anything else, I voted for Metallica, because in spite of completely irrelevant debates as to the 2 acts individual merits, they're clearly the right choice, so this entire debate really hasn't done anything but expose one of us as a biased ignoramus who it's fairly well proven is manipulating this tournament to improperly reflect their own personal taste (you all but admit this in your commentary about Nirvana and the Beatles that follow)- and that person clearly isn't me.

Justin-Credible
February 15th, 2006, 4:20 PM
Nirvana- Brought the whole Grunge genre of music on.

Jefferson Airplane- Better of the 2

Bob Seger- Better of the 2

Avenged Sevenfold- This one came down to which band was cooler for me, and a band which no one has O.D.'ed in did it for me.

The Beatles- The first rock band, if it wasn't for the Beatles, none of these bands would be around today. Plus to tell you the truth I hate Led Zepplin, there music bores the piss out of me.

Kiss- My favorite band of all time.

Metallica- Kicks the shit out of Radiohead, I cant believe Radiohead even is in this contest.

Pink Floyd- Great band, they have some really awesome songs.

Justin-Credible
February 15th, 2006, 4:24 PM
Aerosmith - aside from any of the other numerous reasons, these tweo bands toured together 2 summers ago. For a rather huge number of reasons, Kiss were the opening act and Aerosmith for the headliners. There was absolutely no debate about who was the bigger of the two acts then, and there still isn't.

Not to get in a huge debate or something. But, I read reviews on both bands websites of the tour, and everyone said Kiss put on a better show then Aerosmith, and that Kiss should have headlined. No one, and I mean no one can compete with Kiss live. The pyros and everything. Some people actually left after the 4th song by Aerosmith.

RockOverBoston
February 15th, 2006, 4:38 PM
I'd have left after Aerosmith's 4th song myself if they were playing predominantly newer shit, which is what they're doing more often than not these days.

That's really not the debate here, though. The debate is which of the two bands is more deserving of the title "Greatest Rock Band Of All Time", and I'm just using the fact that Aerosmith were the obvious choice as the headliners on that tour as one of any number of reasons why Aerosmith are more deserving of such a title than Kiss.

I won't argue that a Kiss show isn't the better live spectacle, because that's a fools' argument - you really can't compete with excessive pyrotechnics, missles flying out of the bass of a blood-spewing, face painted man, etc. etc. - but look at the catalogs of the two bands involved -- fairly lopsided, really.

Into the Black
February 15th, 2006, 6:21 PM
Nirvana:
First of all I'd like to point out that they are my favorite band. I know the biggest knock on this band was that they weren’t that talented overall... I mean I can cover nearly half of their songs and learn them with a lot of ease, and I am probably just an average guitar player. Even though they didn't play complex songs, they combined together to make great music. Kurt Cobain's raspy voice was perfect for the vocals and he was a master of writing lyrics. It does suck that they went up against The Clash however.

Jefferson Airplane:
While "White Room" might be one of my favorite songs of this era, I don't think Cream is a better band overall. Though I am not a huge fan of Jefferson Airplane, I think they deserve to go on here.

Bob Seger:
Sevendust has a song or two that I like, but they are nothing compaired to Bob Seger.

The Doors:
I've only heard one song by this Avenged Sevenfold band, and its safe to say its the last song I will have heard by them too if I can help it. Plus... it's THE DOORS.

Led Zeppelin
Going by which band left behind the biggest legacy, I would have to vote for the Beatles. Going by which band had sold the most reccords, which band had the most fans, and which band influenced music the most I would have to vote for the Beatles. But going by which band I enjoyed listening to the most, which band played the best music, and which band was more talented I have to vote for Led Zeppelin. Those last three can be debated, but I think they are true.

Aerosmith
I do not like either on of these bands. I don't like KISS at all, not their looks or their music. Aerosmith had a few good songs however and will get my vote.

Radiohead
Metallica made a lot of great songs back when they first started. Their recent stuff however is nothing short of terrible IMO. Radiohead on the other hand never had a bad album, and have made great song after great song.

Pink Floyd
Though I hate going against the Deftones, Pink Floyd blows them out of the water. The only thing I don't like about Pink Floyd is the song Another Brick in the Wall. It's one of their most famous songs, but I just don't like it.

Brian M.
February 15th, 2006, 6:34 PM
I'm probably not going to vote in this anymore, unless someone competant decides to take over. There's just no way Zeppelin/The Beatles and Nirvana/The Clash should be second round matchups.

I might change my mind and vote later, but what the fuck?

Richard DeNiro
February 15th, 2006, 6:39 PM
What I would have done is seed the bands 1-128. The top bands being bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin, and then splitting it into eight different 16 band brackets with one of the top eight in each.

RockOverBoston
February 15th, 2006, 6:47 PM
Even if the initial seedings were done completely randomly, which there's overwhelming evidence to suspect that they weren't, once the first round's done, the remaining acts would have to be locked in.

I'm probably not going to vote in this anymore, unless someone competant decides to take over. There's just no way Zeppelin/The Beatles and Nirvana/The Clash should be second round matchups.

I might change my mind and vote later, but what the fuck?

Among many other questionable things worth noting is how Static-X somehow "randomly" recieved a cakewalk into the third round despite having absolutely no business in this tournament in the first place, while, as previously noted, truly legendary acts are pitted against each other - even Aerosmith vs. Kiss this early on is pretty suspect.

This guy's already been completely owned if I do say so myself, and his shady dealings have been completely exposed. His only options at this point are to either shut the whole thing down because we're "all a bunch of assholes" or just come clean, which might save whatever credibility he's got around here and allow something we've all invested a decent amount of time into to continue.

Richard DeNiro
February 15th, 2006, 7:05 PM
I think we should start over and do this legit. It would be pretty interesting if done right.

RockOverBoston
February 15th, 2006, 7:12 PM
You could get one started once the movie tournament wraps up -- you're running that well, but it's gotta be almost too time consuming to do 2.

Hacksaw
February 15th, 2006, 7:17 PM
I've just stumbled in here, and any tournament where the Beatles and Zeppelin meet in the second round while Static-X is into the third just isn't a tournament worth voting in.

My two cents.

Leper Messiah
February 16th, 2006, 3:00 AM
Here's a list of 128 notable rock bands/performers since 1950s that I came up with... maybe it could be useful in the next tournament, if PaintMeBloodRed or anyone else wants to run it. Of course, it's only a starting point and I removed many of the bands who would probably not make it past round one. Sure there'll be plenty of adding and subtracting to make final list of 128, but just thought I'd help.

The list incudes all types of rock bands, from hard rock, heavy metal, southern rock, punk rock, alternative, etc.

The ones in red are new ones. Placed spoiler tags so it wouldn't clutter this thread.

AC/DC
Aerosmith
Allman Brothers Band
Alice Cooper
Alice in Chains
The Animals
Anthrax
Audioslave
Avenged Sevenfold
Bad Company
Bad Religion
The Beatles
Black Crowes
Black Sabbath
Blink 182
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Blue Oyster Cult
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
Bon Jovi
Boston
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
The Cars
Cheap Trick
Eric Clapton
The Clash
The Cult
Cream
Creed
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Deftones
Dire Straits
Doobie Brothers
The Doors
Dream Theater
Eagles
Faith No More
Foo Fighters
Foreigner
Genesis
George Thorogood
Godsmack
Grateful Dead
Green Day
The Guess Who
Guns N Roses
Heart
Helmet
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
The Hollies
Iggy Pop and the Stooges
Incubus
Iron Maiden
Jane’s Addiction
Jefferson Airplane
Jethro Tull
Journey
The Kinks
Kiss
Korn
Led Zeppelin
Linkin Park
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Marilyn Manson
Megadeth
Metallica
The Steve Miller Band
Ministry
The Misfits
The Moody Blues
Motley Crue
Motorhead
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
Oasis
Offspring
Ozzy Osbourne
Pantera
Pearl Jam
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Pink Floyd
The Police
Primus
Queen
Queensryche
Queens of the Stone
Quiet Riot
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
The Ramones
Red Hot Chili Peppers
REM
REO Speedwagon
The Rolling Stones
Rush
Santana
Scorpions
Sepultura
Sex Pistols
Slayer
Slipknot
Smashing Pumpkins
Soundgarden
Staind
Steppenwolf
Stone Temple Pilots
The Strokes
Styx
Sublime
Suicidal Tendencies
System of a Down
Testament
Tool
U2
Van Halen
Velvet Revolver
Velvet Underground
Weezer
Whitesnake
White Stripes
White Zombie
The Who
Yardbirds
Yes
ZZ Top

PMBR
February 16th, 2006, 7:41 AM

Hacksaw
February 16th, 2006, 11:05 AM
However I will not be bullied around here simply because I have a different opinion than a lot of people here.

Gerrymandering the brackets just to get the bands you like through isn't really having a different opinion.

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Yeah I threw Aerosmith and Kiss together simply because I found that picture. Yeah I threw Queen/Queens Of The Stone Age together simply because it was slightly humorous and that it was previously suggested.

Yeah, you matched Static-X up with two bands that they stood to get past with ease because you're quite vocally a far bigger fan of them than anyone else participating in this tournament is.

Yeah, you gave a lot of undeserving bands cakewalks through the first round because they were your recommendations.

Yeah, you matched Led Zep up against The Beatles because for some inexplicaple reason you didn't even think The Beatles should be in this tournament.

Yeah, you matched Nirvana up against The Clash because you dislike Nirvana.

Yeah, when you consider that we voted for 3 of the big Seattle bands in a row, among some other seriously questionable shit, there was clearly nothing random about that first round, either.

Yeah, I'm definitly missing some of your other more obvious bracket-jockeying.

However I will not be bullied around here simply because I have a different opinion than a lot of people here.

No, but you will be "bullied around" because you used a tournament that several people were participating in a pretty transparent attempt to pass off your opinions as fact -- and in some cases, opinions can be wrong. Like the opinion that Static-X is one of the 32 biggest rock bands of all time while The Beatles and Nirvana aren't, for one hugely notable example.

While this entire forum has a well deserved reputation as nothing more than a spam fest, I'm pretty sure the other spammers aren't noticably rigging tournaments.

You blatantly cheated, you got caught, that really shouldn't come as any surprise to anyone who reads this entire thread, end of discussion.

Here's a list of 128 notable rock bands/performers since 1950s that I came up with... maybe it could be useful in the next tournament, if PaintMeBloodRed or anyone else wants to run it. Of course, it's only a starting point and I removed many of the bands who would probably not make it past round one. Sure there'll be plenty of adding and subtracting to make final list of 128, but just thought I'd help.

The list incudes all types of rock bands, from hard rock, heavy metal, southern rock, punk rock, alternative, etc.

The ones in red are new ones. Placed spoiler tags so it wouldn't clutter this thread.

AC/DC
Aerosmith
Allman Brothers Band
Alice Cooper
Alice in Chains
The Animals
Anthrax
Audioslave
Avenged Sevenfold
Bad Company
Bad Religion
The Beatles
Black Crowes
Black Sabbath
Blink 182
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Blue Oyster Cult
Bon Jovi
Boston
The Cars
Cheap Trick
Eric Clapton
The Clash
The Cult
Cream
Creed
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Deftones
Dire Straits
Doobie Brothers
The Doors
Dream Theater
Eagles
Faith No More
Foo Fighters
Foreigner
Genesis
George Thorogood
Godsmack
Grateful Dead
Green Day
The Guess Who
Guns N Roses
Heart
Helmet
The Hollies
Iggy Pop and the Stooges
Incubus
Iron Maiden
Jane’s Addiction
Jefferson Airplane
Jethro Tull
Journey
The Kinks
Kiss
Korn
Led Zeppelin
Linkin Park
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Marilyn Manson
Megadeth
Metallica
The Steve Miller Band
Ministry
The Misfits
The Moody Blues
Motley Crue
Motorhead
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
Oasis
Offspring
Ozzy Osbourne
Pantera
Pearl Jam
Pink Floyd
The Police
Primus
Queen
Queensryche
Queens of the Stone
Quiet Riot
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
The Ramones
Red Hot Chili Peppers
REM
REO Speedwagon
The Rolling Stones
Rush
Santana
Scorpions
Sepultura
Sex Pistols
Slayer
Slipknot
Smashing Pumpkins
Soundgarden
Staind
Steppenwolf
Stone Temple Pilots
The Strokes
Styx
Sublime
Suicidal Tendencies
System of a Down
Testament
Tool
U2
Van Halen
Velvet Revolver
Velvet Underground
Weezer
Whitesnake
White Stripes
White Zombie
The Who
Yardbirds
Yes
ZZ Top

Even if we used some sort of criteria like minimum number of releases or hit songs, you're only talking about having to shift out like 2 of those bands. Well done, Leper. That's a really good list.

Oh, except for some reason, Static-X is nowhere to be seen on that list.......does that mean they're actually not one of the 32 biggest bands of all time?

PMBR
February 16th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Guess what buddy? You like accusing people of things that you claim you have proof of. #1 ever heard of the term coincidence. #2 I don't think Static-X is that fucking great. They had 1 great album and some good songs on Machine also.

You say that I blatantly cheated, what the fuck is that about? There is cheating in putting bands together and saying "vote"? Is there some list of unwritten rules that I didn't see somewhere?

You think I'm trying to bully my opinions around as fact? Well guess what partner, my favorite bands arent even nominated in this tournament. How do you feel about that? I didn't nominate The Offspring because I thought someone else should. I didn't nominate Flaw or Five.Bolt.Main even though they have phenomenal drums and vocals because I know they havent merited enough credibility to even be considered. I don't try to pass off my opinion as fact, I simply state my opinion where I can.

I didn't GIVE undeserving bands cakewalks. I have already explained my process of putting bands together. If you have a problem with it, big fucking deal.

You mention that we voted for 3 of the big seattle bands in a row. What the hell does that have to do with anything? Honestly, geography played no part in my quest for posting a tournament. Jesus Christ get over yourself.

There are a lot of fantastic bands in this tournament and of course there are going to be huge matchups during the tournament. Just because you don't like where people got paired in the second round doesnt mean that you need to whine and complain like a little child.

I've given my opinion and to be quite frank I don't care for yours. Anyone who can actually say Radiohad has 5 times more MUSICAL TALENT than Metallica has ignorance flowing through them. You have no sense of judgement if that is how you feel.

If you have a problem with me, I really don't give a tiny rats ass. You mean nothing to me. You are an insignificant person who does nothing to effect my life. Go ahead and neg-rep me because thats your right and you have the option to do that.

Your attempts at portraying an elitist are pathetic because you truly are not as knowledgeable as you try to pass yourself off as.

Have a cookie, and get the fuck off my nuts.

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah, this clearly isn't bothering you at all.

And you're still lying.

The only reason any of us are "whining and complaining" about where bands were placed throughout this tournament is because it has so obviously been manipulated to reflect your own personal taste, and that's fucking pitiful.

There's a reason one of us works in the music business while the other manipulates online music tournaments. Apparantly, there are actually several.

I'm not knowledgeable because I gave significant logic as to why Radiohead are considerably more talented musically that Metallica? My friend, that's really not a hard argument to prove whatsoever if you've got a shred of objectivity, but since it's overwhelmingly obvious that you don't ("Guitar World" magazine ranked Kirk #9, d00d!"), then it's a senseless argument to be having in the first place.

I don't claim to be more knowledgable than everyone, and as such, there's no elitist stance being taken. It's fairly apparant to anyone who's read this thread that I'm considerably more knowledgable than you. One of us has yet to attempt to pass of something that isn't steeped in some sort of fact as fact, the other has done it for 20 pages now. Before you accuse me, take a look at yourself.

This tournament was a great idea. It's far too bad that it reeks of corruption, because it had been fun while that was just suspected; now that it's so obvious, it's dead. Well done.

PMBR
February 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Into the Black
February 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I did think it was pretty ridicules to have Nirvana and The Clash in the second round... and have The Beatles and Led Zeppelin as well.

PMBR
February 16th, 2006, 12:21 PM

relentless
February 16th, 2006, 12:22 PM
:lol: @ how this "Rock band competition thread" blew up like a Houston shuttle-craft!

There are many people on these forums I have noticed who believe they have a "God complex". When realistically, their "supposed" confidence is more transparent than Caspers under-wear.

I would suggest to the bad boys and girls with an "attitude" to follow a career in the forces. On the other hand perhaps the military are looking for something more in their soliders than novice typing skills and over-active thyroid glands.

Who'd be a human, huh? :D

PMBR
February 16th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Into the Black
February 16th, 2006, 12:25 PM
As far as Radiohead and Metallica go, I there are a lot of Radiohead songs that are far more complex to play than Metallica. I don't know if they have five times more talent, but they are at least somewhat better.

I'm not claiming I know everything about music, I've just been playing instruments for the past ten years and have tried to cover both of these bands in bands that I've been in.

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Hate to break it to you chief, but I was a music promoter for over 2 years. I owned and operated a promotion/booking agency and did the bookings for every major club in Richmond, VA for over a year. I personally have worked alongside Mark Bernstein for 3 years. In case you don't know who Mark Bernstein is, he is the music producer who just happens to be the son of The Beatles manager. You can claim to know whatever you want about the industry, but you don't know shit.

Outstanding -- except if he was really the son of either of the Beatles' managers, then why isn't his last name Epstein or Klein?

And how do you have all of this experience at the age of 19?

Looks to me like Mark Bernstein is someone who likes to lie to upstarts whom are willing to believe him. Then again, I don't see how it's possible to be a booking agent at age 16 either.

If you would like, we can compare Metallica to Radiohead in another category.... Perhaps Grammy nominations and wins will suffice.... Oh wait, Metallica wiped the floor with Radiohead there too.

Let's pretend the Grammy awards aren't all bullshit anyway. Let's also eliminate categories that either Metallica or Radiohead clearly aren't eligible for. Let's see where we stand now.

PMBR
February 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 12:30 PM
No... there is no more competition. ROB can be an ignorant little prick all that he wants to. I'm done with this bullshit. Egotistical son of a bitch thinks he knows everything and in the process has ruined the fun of this for me.

Pretty sure that you're the one that ruined everything here, champ.

relentless
February 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Boo! You all have in-curable bad AIDS! :blah:

All human beings project their indiscretions on to others and use them as a scapegoat. It comes with the species.

Pick your spat dinkys up off the floor, and simmer down.

Kill the thread and start a new competition :yesyes:

PMBR
February 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Close thread

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 12:33 PM
......says the 16 year old high ranking music exec.

PMBR
February 16th, 2006, 12:33 PM

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Kill the thread and start a new competition :yesyes:

It's forthcoming, my good man.

PMBR

relentless
I want the last word dammnit! :werd:

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 12:35 PM
He is a mod so he feels he has to have the last word.

CLOSE THE THREAD

If I really felt I had to have the last word, I'd just have you banned.

Keep digging, liar.

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Is it seriously that difficult for you to put a lock on the thread?

Since I don't moderate this forum, it's not only difficult, it's impossible.

PMBR
February 16th, 2006, 12:36 PM

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Uh, didn't I just say that I wasn't going to ban you?

You are all fired up, and it's all your own doing. Go take a Valium or something.

relentless
February 16th, 2006, 12:38 PM
It's forthcoming, my good man. :yes:

Stop the pointless squabbling you won't like him >>>> :kennedy: when he turns green.

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Yeah, there's really nothing left here to squabble about. His credibility and reputation have been ruined enough.

I don't know who's going to run the new tournament, or even when, but let's get some input on Leper's list in the meantime.

relentless
February 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM

AC/DC
Aerosmith
Allman Brothers Band
Alice Cooper
Alice in Chains
The Animals
Anthrax
Audioslave
Avenged Sevenfold
Bad Company
Bad Religion
The Beatles
Black Crowes
Black Sabbath
Blink 182
Blood, Sweat and Tears
Blue Oyster Cult
Bon Jovi
Boston
The Cars
Cheap Trick
Eric Clapton
The Clash
The Cult
Cream
Creed
Deep Purple
Def Leppard
Deftones
Dire Straits
Doobie Brothers
The Doors
Dream Theater
Eagles
Faith No More
Foo Fighters
Foreigner
Genesis
George Thorogood
Godsmack
Grateful Dead
Green Day
The Guess Who
Guns N Roses
Heart
Helmet
The Hollies
Iggy Pop and the Stooges
Incubus
Iron Maiden
Jane’s Addiction
Jefferson Airplane
Jethro Tull
Journey
The Kinks
Kiss
Korn
Led Zeppelin
Linkin Park
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Marilyn Manson
Megadeth
Metallica
The Steve Miller Band
Ministry
The Misfits
The Moody Blues
Motley Crue
Motorhead
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
Oasis
Offspring
Ozzy Osbourne
Pantera
Pearl Jam
Pink Floyd
The Police
Primus
Queen
Queensryche
Queens of the Stone
Quiet Riot
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
The Ramones
Red Hot Chili Peppers
REM
REO Speedwagon
The Rolling Stones
Rush
Santana
Scorpions
Sepultura
Sex Pistols
Slayer
Slipknot
Smashing Pumpkins
Soundgarden
Staind
Steppenwolf
Stone Temple Pilots
The Strokes
Styx
Sublime
Suicidal Tendencies
System of a Down
Testament
Tool
U2
Van Halen
Velvet Revolver
Velvet Underground
Weezer
Whitesnake
White Stripes
White Zombie
The Who
Yardbirds
Yes
ZZ Top

Dire Straits!!!! - Dude if I believed in rep points you'd be getting a handful right now :yesyes:

Bob Marley and the Wailers?

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Figure that'd be a whole "are they a rock act or not" debate.

Richard DeNiro
February 16th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I quite like the list. And I don't mind running this, but what I would like to do before hand is get these bands into four different tiers. I think it would work better that way.

relentless
February 16th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Figure that'd be a whole "are they a rock act or not" debate.

Ironic I was thinking the same thing. Although I would give them the nod.

uh ....

Fleetwood Mac?
David Bowie and The Spiders From Mars?
The Cure?
Buddy Holly and The Crickets!!!!

Leper Messiah
February 16th, 2006, 4:17 PM
I actually had a list of about 140 and I deleted some to dwindle it down to 128. Funny actually because three of those performers (Bowie, Fleetwood Mac and the Cure were part of the 140). Included the Hollies in final list, but not the Crickets.

Glad some people like the list... spent about an hour on that mother and looking forward to new tourney. Maybe we can move it to the Listening Room so more people could participate?

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 4:31 PM
Makes sense -- it'd probably draw more intelligent responses there than it would in this forum.

Richard DeNiro
February 16th, 2006, 4:46 PM
You know what though... really it wouldn't be that much extra work if you guys wanted me to run this thing. It doesn't take longer than ten minutes to do the movie game and I only do it every other day. This would probably take just as long.

Here is my idea on how this should be ran...

Since there are 128 people this should be split into eight different brackets. Each having one of the top bands, bottom bands, and a few inbetween. This is what the bracket would look like...

v.
---------------\(1/16)
---------------- v
-------------- /(9/8)
v
---------------------------------\(1/16)(9/8)
---------------------------------- v
-------------------------------- /(4/12)(6/10)
v
---------------\(4/12)
---------------- v
-------------- /(6/10)
v

-------------------------------------------------------------------------\(Top half winner)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- v
-------------------------------------------------------------------------/(Bottom half winner)
v.
---------------\(2/15)
---------------- v
-------------- /(7v11)
v
---------------------------------\(2/15)/(7/11)
---------------------------------- v
-------------------------------- /(3/14)(5/12)
v
---------------\(3/14)
---------------- v
-------------- /(5/12)
v

Then after each of those is done it goes into an eight band bracket to decide the winner.

The toughest part would be deciding who gets to be the eight #1s, #2s, and so on.

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 4:55 PM
Hey, if you're willing to do the seeding, than do whatever you think is best -- it'd all work itself out in the end anyhow.

But definitly do this in the Listening Room.

Leper Messiah
February 16th, 2006, 5:04 PM
And if you don't have time to seed them, I could do it later tonight and post them here... we'll fine tune if need be here and then you can post it in Listening Room after we're done.

Let me know.

Like the NCAA tourney style bracketing...

Richard DeNiro
February 16th, 2006, 5:16 PM
I'd want everyone to put their opinions in on the seeding so nobody complains later on.

Here is my rough idea on how they should go...

Number 1's

The Beatles (http://jelmin.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=the+beatles&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Led Zeppelin (http://naaklov.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=led+zeppelin&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
The Rolling Stones (http://naaklov.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=rolling+stones&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Pink Floyd
Nirvana
Metallica
The Jimi Hendrix (http://naaklov.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=jimi+hendrix&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049) Experience
The Who (http://jelmin.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=the+who&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)Number 2's

AC/DC
Black Sabbath
Sex Pistols
Queen
Aerosmith
Guns n' Roses
Grateful Dead
The ClashNumber 3's

Ramones
Ozzy Osbourne (http://metrodump.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=ozzy+osbourne&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Radiohead
Van (http://broskt.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=van&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049) Halen
U2
Pearl Jam
Eagles
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street BandNumber 4's

Red Hot Chilli Peppers
The Velvet Underground
Eric Clapton
REM
The Doors (http://kintont.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=the+doors&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Oasis
Creedence Clearwater (http://wearpen.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=creedence+clearwater&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049) Revival
Alice CooperNumber 5's

Green Day (http://metrodump.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=green+day&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Iggy Pop (http://jelmin.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=iggy+pop&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049) and the Stooges
Iron Maiden
Sound Garden
Rush
Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers
Jefferson Airplane
ToolNumber 6's

ZZ Top
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Cream
Alice in Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Jethro Tull
Deep PurpleNumber 7's

Deftones
Sublime
Korn
The Steve Miller Band
Smashing Pumpkins
White Zombie
The Police
Dream Theater (http://nethrov.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=dream+theater&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)Number 8's

Cheap Trick
REO Speedwagon (http://jelmin.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=reo+speedwagon&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
KISS
Foo Fighters (http://jelmin.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=foo+fighters&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Marylin Manson (http://voxens.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=marylin+manson&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Offspring
Rage Against the Machine
Bon JoviNumber 9's

Allman Brother's Band
Nine Inch Nails (http://hetbrosk.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=nails&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Santana
Pantera
Journey
Motley Crue (http://hetbrosk.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=motley+crue&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
BostonNumber 10's

System of a Down
The Strokes
The Animals
Slayer
Blue Oyster Cult
Genesis
The Misfits
AnthraxNumber 11's

Primus
Jane's Addiction
Motorhead
The Yardbirds
Linkin Park (http://jelmin.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=linkin+park&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
The Cult (http://voxens.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=the+cult&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Black Crowes
AudioslaveNumber 12's

Dire Straits
The White Stripes
Queens of the Stone Age
Steppenwolf
Def Leppard
Queensryche
Blink 182 (http://broskt.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=blink+182&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Bad Religion (http://kintont.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=bad+religion&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)Number 13's

Staind
The Moody Blues
Megadeth
The Kinks
Incubus
Faith No More
Doobie Brothers
CreedNumber 14's

Helmet
Weezer
Styx
The Cars
Blood, Sweat, and Tears
George Thorogood
Whitesnake
Velvet RevolverNumber 15's

Slipknot
The Guess Who
Godsmack
Yes
Bad Company
Ministry
The HolliesNumber 16's

Avenged Sevenfold
Heart
Quiet Riot
Testament
The Scorpions
Foreigner
Suicidal Tendencies
SepulturaThis is just a start... anyone have any other opinions on who should be in these spots?

Leper Messiah
February 16th, 2006, 5:52 PM
Suggestions:

Metallica and Nirvana should drop out of #1 to #2
Queen and either AC/DC or Black Sabbath bumped up to #1 seed
Drop following bands further down: Tool, Soundgarden, Cream and maybe Velvet Underground.

Pretty good so far though.

Hacksaw
February 16th, 2006, 6:06 PM
Springsteen HAS to be higher than a #7. A 2 or 3 would be more appropriate.

Richard DeNiro
February 16th, 2006, 6:08 PM
The main problem is that there are so many bands in 1 and 2 that are equal. While Queen, AC/DC, and Black Sabbath do deserve a number on spot, I think Nirvana and Metallica do as well.

Tool could go further down, maybe to number 5. Soundgarden maybe to 5 as well. Cream, though unknown were a very talented bad with some great songs and should go at 6 at the lowest I believe.

Dave
February 16th, 2006, 6:12 PM
I'll close it up when you've got it all sorted :yes:

As for suggestions, I'd say seed #1 - #32 (maybe in groups of 8), and then have it random outside of that. Yes, you'll end with some strong first round match-ups, but you'll keep the really big-guns apart until the final 32, and it's a lot easier to decide higher up than lower down seedings as nearly everyone will have heard of the likes of Led Zeppelin and Nirvana than the likes of Sublime and The Steve Miller Band.

Dave
February 16th, 2006, 6:20 PM
As for the actual seedings, Grateful Dead out of the top 16, replaced by U2 (who could have a good argument for being top 8 ahead of The Jimi Hendrix Experience or Nirvana).

Beatles, Led Zep, Stones and Floyd have to be the top four seeds.

Green Day, Oasis, and Iron Maiden should also be top 32, probably dropping Alice Cooper, Tool, and Soundgarden out. Although that is from a British viewpoint.

Richard DeNiro
February 16th, 2006, 6:20 PM
I think this system would work if we can work through the entire list. I think the cool thing about knowing the bracket would be knowing what bands each is going to face down the road. Its up to everyone though, but thats just how I feel.

Dave
February 16th, 2006, 6:26 PM
Probably didn't explain myself well enough - what I meant is that the Top 32 are seeded and set in place. Then the other 96 are randomly drawn in the first round, but once they're drawn, they stay in that slot for the rest of the tournament. Exactly how the major tennis tournaments operate.

So in your example rather than grouping everyone from 1 to 16, we'd only group from 1 to 4, and the other 12 places in each of the 8 brackets would be randomly allocated amongst those that are left.

Richard DeNiro
February 16th, 2006, 6:35 PM
Probably didn't explain myself well enough - what I meant is that the Top 32 are seeded and set in place. Then the other 96 are randomly drawn in the first round, but once they're drawn, they stay in that slot for the rest of the tournament. Exactly how the major tennis tournaments operate.

So in your example rather than grouping everyone from 1 to 16, we'd only group from 1 to 4, and the other 12 places in each of the 8 brackets would be randomly allocated amongst those that are left.

You're right. I didn't understand exactly what you were saying in the first post. I think your idea could work, but at the same time I would like to expand it to maybe half of the bands being seeded before hand. Because I would hate for a really good band to go up against each other because of the random choices, then have two bad bands randomly put together.

At the same time I'm going to keep seeding the bands like I was, just so thats a fall back option incase other people don't like the idea.

Richard DeNiro
February 16th, 2006, 6:57 PM
Here is what I got right now. Tell me where I messed up...

Number 1's

The Beatles (http://jelmin.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=the+beatles&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Led Zeppelin (http://naaklov.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=led+zeppelin&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
The Rolling Stones (http://naaklov.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=rolling+stones&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Pink Floyd
Nirvana
Queen
The Jimi Hendrix (http://naaklov.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=jimi+hendrix&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049) Experience
The Who (http://jelmin.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=the+who&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)Number 2's

AC/DC
Black Sabbath
Sex Pistols
Metallica
Aerosmith
U2
Grateful Dead
The ClashNumber 3's

Ramones
Ozzy Osbourne (http://metrodump.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=ozzy+osbourne&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Radiohead
Van (http://broskt.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=van&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049) Halen
Guns n' Roses
Pearl Jam
Eagles
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street BandNumber 4's

Red Hot Chilli Peppers
The Velvet Underground
Eric Clapton
REM
The Doors (http://kintont.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=the+doors&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Oasis
Creedence Clearwater (http://wearpen.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=creedence+clearwater&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049) Revival
Alice CooperNumber 5's

Green Day (http://metrodump.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=green+day&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Iggy Pop (http://jelmin.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=iggy+pop&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049) and the Stooges
Iron Maiden
Sound Garden
Rush
Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers
Jefferson Airplane
ToolNumber 6's

ZZ Top
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Cream
Alice in Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Jethro Tull
Deep PurpleNumber 7's

Deftones
Sublime
Korn
The Steve Miller Band
Smashing Pumpkins
White Zombie
The Police
Dream Theater (http://nethrov.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=dream+theater&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)Number 8's

Cheap Trick
REO Speedwagon (http://jelmin.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=reo+speedwagon&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
KISS
Foo Fighters (http://jelmin.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=foo+fighters&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Marylin Manson (http://voxens.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=marylin+manson&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Offspring
Def Leppard
Bon JoviNumber 9's

Allman Brother's Band
Nine Inch Nails (http://hetbrosk.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=nails&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Rage Against the Machine
Pantera
Journey
Motley Crue (http://hetbrosk.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=motley+crue&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
BostonNumber 10's

System of a Down
The Strokes
The Animals
Slayer
Santana
Genesis
The Misfits
AnthraxNumber 11's

Primus
Jane's Addiction
Motorhead
Bob Marley and the Wailers
Linkin Park (http://jelmin.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=linkin+park&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
The Cult (http://voxens.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=the+cult&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Blue Oyster Cult
AudioslaveNumber 12's

Dire Straits
The White Stripes
Queens of the Stone Age
The Kinks
Black Crowes
Queensryche
The Yardbirds
Blink 182 (http://broskt.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=blink+182&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)Number 13's

Staind
The Moody Blues
Megadeth
Steppenwolf
Incubus
Bad Religion (http://kintont.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=bad+religion&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.rajah.com%2Feditpost.php&pin=37049)
Doobie Brothers
The CarsNumber 14's

Helmet
Weezer
Styx
Creed
Blood, Sweat, and Tears
George Thorogood
Faith No More
Velvet RevolverNumber 15's

Slipknot
Heart
The Guess Who
Godsmack
Yes
Ministry
Whitesnake
The HolliesNumber 16's

Avenged Sevenfold
Bad Company
Testament
The J. Geils Band
The Scorpions
Foreigner
Suicidal Tendencies
SepulturaI also think Bob Marley and the Wailers should replace one of the bands near the bottom and move up to the 10-12 range.

Brian M.
February 16th, 2006, 7:17 PM
Well, I don't think Metallica should be with the number ones. You should replace them with Queen, The Clash or Aerosmith. Also, U2 belongs in one of the top two brackets, possibly replacing AC/DC?

Richard DeNiro
February 16th, 2006, 7:22 PM
What I could see working is moving Metallica to #2, moving Queen up one... Moving U2 to #2 and moving Guns N' Roses down one.

Brian M.
February 16th, 2006, 7:25 PM
Yeah, that sounds good to me. I'd also like to find a way to get The Clash a number 1 slot, just considering what they did for the punk scene, but it's not a big deal really.

Leper Messiah
February 16th, 2006, 7:27 PM
If you want to include Bob Marley, we can drop Quiet Riot out. I should've dropped them earlier anyway.

I like replacing Metallica with Queen, and Guns N Roses with U2.

Def Leppard should be a #8 seed or higher... they were HUGE in 80s.

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 7:31 PM
Like I said before, while it's a great album, it's Velvet Revolver's only album, and Weiland could drop dead tommorow -- they could be an act up for replacement if you still need one.

Maybe any one of the trio of Madness/the Specials/the BossToneS should be in there as a really low seed - they'd be a definite 1st round casualty, but at least ska would be slightly better represented overall.

Richard DeNiro
February 16th, 2006, 7:32 PM
I put Def Leppord into the eigth spot, and gave Bob Marley a spot at number 11. Which might be too low, but its hard to judge.

Richard DeNiro
February 16th, 2006, 7:34 PM
Like I said before, while it's a great album, it's Velvet Revolver's only album, and Weiland could drop dead tommorow -- they could be an act up for replacement if you still need one.

Maybe any one of the trio of Madness/the Specials/the BossToneS should be in there as a really low seed - they'd be a definite 1st round casualty, but at least ska would be slightly better represented overall.

Velvet Revolver does have a lot of talent, but I agree they could be replaced.

RockOverBoston
February 16th, 2006, 7:35 PM
I'd move The Kinks, The Cars and Heart up a bit -- all were rather huge acts for spans that bled into 2 decades.

Replace Creed. Sure, they're deserving and all, but if there's a single band in the whole tournament I can see getting zero votes, they're it.

You seem to be missing a #15 seed. The J. Geils Band seem to not be in this tournament. There you go.

Leper Messiah
February 16th, 2006, 7:36 PM
Bob Marley is fine at #11... and it could conceivably beat some of those #6 seeds regardless of if people view them as rock or not. Thanks for the Def Leppard bump.