PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii: Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

The Great Dave
April 26th, 2005, 9:06 AM
WII ADDRESS NUMBERS

Aeida 1198-3579-3134-7667
Aussie_Outlaw 4121-5524-0137-1132
Bad Obsession 8767-4883-1875-4487
Defrost 0235-2739-2646-3396
doct1400 7749-9572-4829-0770
Dynomite 3656-8712-9976-4163
Falconarrow 3015-4996-7270-6653
Grimario 6274-3720-0941-4590
jez 6234-1410-5070-3692
JJS 5002-6564-8642-7396
Locdog07 3989-6609-3511-4668
Mikey_Jones 7466-2372-1166-3872
Nitram 5453-4906-1356-3371
rkokid15 6564-6439-8515-6644
RuneEdge 7727-3169-9927-8483
T-Bird 7239-1771-8892-1140
T.I (uh oh) 7529-4076-2423-7002
tarantino 8127-4980-6052-1206
The Great Dave 5128-8012-8657-3950
TheSexyBeast 3388-6722-0110-0888
Vice 7577-3986-4921-6975
Zyphlin 4765-2362-9798-5885

T.I (uh oh)
April 26th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Damn it Dave you beat me to it!

I'm a little confused by the "real time 3D projection" part. Does this mean that revolution will display a hologram type image? or what?

Anyway, this info sounds credible, so yeh.

Dan The Man
April 26th, 2005, 12:15 PM
It'd be a huge gamble, and one I would guess will have big positive and negative outcomes, if only for Nintendo's track record of games in the Post-SNES Era: absolutely spectacular first-party games with mediocre-at-best third-party support.

The three big Nintendo series (Mario, Zelda, Metroid) would probably just be jaw-droppingly great when transfered into something like this (assuming they're not making a horrible Virtual Boy-esque mistake in the first place), but a crappy game in 3D is just one more dimension of crapiness. Through in the fact that I would assume one would have to program a game completely differently, or at least make major changes, there's an even bigger blow to third-party games in the form of cross-platformers.

At the very least, though, it sets the console so far apart from what Sony and Microsoft are doing that it becomes must-see, and perhaps even helps by making comparisions between the next-gens almost impossible. I know a lot of people, myself included, who felt that there just wasn't enough about the Gamecube to justify buying it in addition to a PS2 or X-Box. Here, I think they've got a legitimate shot at separating themselves so fully that the question won't be PS3 or X360 or Revolution but rather PS3 or X360 and Revolution.

That is, of course, all assuming this information is correct, and far far more importantly, it's done right and proves to be a viable way to game.

Croc
April 26th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Perhaps the 3D function will not be incorporated into third party games. That would be the road to take. Obviously when it comes to third party games, they want to be able to make the game and then spend as little time possible transfering it to each of the systems. Transfering a game such as say, Grand Theft Auto to 3D would take an incredible amount of time (read: would never happen). Maybe if they come out with the 3D thing for their first party games it would work. Then you might get the occasional third party game take a stab at it. I wouldn't be incorrect in saying that a lot of people buy Nintendo for the first party games only, so it's not like it would be a waste if every game didn't include the 3D feature.

I just see this as being a huge mistake if they try to force this too fast. They will end up with a system with a tiny library of games, most of which suck (as opposed to the PS2's huge library of games, most of which suck).

The Great Dave
April 26th, 2005, 1:59 PM
I think the whole point of this is that Nintendo want to stop being an alternative, and be a unique source of entertainment. Right now, Gamecube has nothing other than software to separate it from the PS2. But as we've seen with the DS, Nintendo seem interested in making consoles where a simple port is no longer possible, to or from the system. I think this is a pretty good idea from a business sense. The only issue is if they can pull off these technologies. The touch screen, I think they've pulled off with flying colours. But this is a different matter all together.

I don't see third parties just ignoring the 3D capatabilities. It's obviously going to be the console's main selling point. Third parties didn't keep making 2D games when the N64 came out, and I don't see they would now. Quite frankly, if the choice next gen for consumers is between a fully 3D gaming experience or the PS3, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo became top dog again. Unlikely as this stuff is, if it happened it would change the industry, and make all other consoles redundant.

GeezaTap
April 26th, 2005, 2:04 PM
It could be the greatest thing ever.

Although i am thinking of this like the way images are presented in Minority Report/That Dixons Ad with the futuristic bint.

I want special handware so i can manipulate the images in front of me.:yesyes:

Stan Hibbert
April 26th, 2005, 2:25 PM
I'm a little confused by the "real time 3D projection" part. Does this mean that revolution will display a hologram type image? or what?

Yeah I'm struggling to picture what they actually hope to achieve. Anyone care to explain just what this all means?

hed
April 26th, 2005, 2:47 PM
Sounds cool. I just hope they don't waste all their time making lame shit like Kirby games

The Great Dave
April 26th, 2005, 3:38 PM
HAL make the Kirby games, so it's not really Nintendo as such that are wasting their time with them. HAL don't have much else to do anyway, other than Smash Bros.

But Kirby's Tilt and Tumble is an awesome game, dammit!

I'm having trouble invisioning it myself. Technically, I don't understand what they aim to do, all I understand is the intent to create 3D visuals, which I'm sure we've all seen while watching a 3D movie or some shit. Hopefully it doesn't involve us having to wear 3D glasses or something, though I guess I'd make that sacrafice to have the illusion that Bowser is firing fireballs directly at my face :cool:

Dan The Man
April 26th, 2005, 3:52 PM
If it's stereoscopic video, as seems to be implied by the article, it will most certainly require glasses. Then again, with the reference to "cheap digital stereoscopic 3D," it's possible they've advanced past my working knowledge of stereoscopy. But at least as it is used today, we're talking glasses, and fancy ones at that.

RV3
April 26th, 2005, 8:38 PM
Yeah the only "Steroscopic Visual technology" I know of is glasses.

The only cheap ones I know of are the paper kind they hand out at 3D movies.

This could really make or break Nintendo for the next generation. If this alienates 3rd Party vendors much like sega did, we arent gonna have anymore nintendo consoles, at least outside handhelds.

I bet it will be a hard sell as well. I mean think of it from a vendor point of view. We can make a game for all 3 platforms or we can make one version for 2 of them and one version for the other. Both choices probably sell the same number of games, but the first one requires substantially less work, but leaves one of nintendos big "revolutions" not being used.

Of course, Nintendo could also commision platform specific games for themselves, but 3rd party Platform specific games usually end up on other systems eventually (PC, PS, XBox) and losing that ability would be a big turn off.

Of course, I just wish that Nintendo would stick to games and let me play Zelda Metroid and Smash Brothers on my PS2.

And Finally, whats the Gyroscopic Controllers? Am I gonna have to move my controller around as part of the game? Am I understanding that right? If I am, does that sound really stupid to anyone else? Give me 10 buttons, some analogs and be done with it.

Dynomite
April 26th, 2005, 9:44 PM
sounds cool, but if i know Nintendo, they will wait till every "next generation" console is released and release their's 2 years too latee, if they do go ahead with this they have to release it around the same time as the playstation 3

The Great Dave
April 26th, 2005, 10:05 PM
This could really make or break Nintendo for the next generation. If this alienates 3rd Party vendors much like sega did, we arent gonna have anymore nintendo consoles, at least outside handhelds.

*annoyed grunt*

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1112049459

Don't question Nintendo's abilities to make way more money than Sony. There's more chance of Sony or Microsoft giving up on the console business than Nintendo. Sony because their new boss doesn't give a shit about the Playstation brand, and Microsoft cos they're just in it to make a buck, and if they fail to make some soon, they'll pull out quicker than a 14 year old boy.

And Finally, whats the Gyroscopic Controllers? Am I gonna have to move my controller around as part of the game? Am I understanding that right? If I am, does that sound really stupid to anyone else? Give me 10 buttons, some analogs and be done with it.

I don't really understand this. Why would you rather move a stick than just move the controller? What does the stick offer that is so great? I want to play a first person game where I just move the controller to change my angle. Gyroscopic control is the next step from analog sticks for me.

RV3
April 26th, 2005, 10:22 PM
*annoyed grunt*

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1112049459

Don't question Nintendo's abilities to make way more money than Sony. There's more chance of Sony or Microsoft giving up on the console business than Nintendo. Sony because their new boss doesn't give a shit about the Playstation brand, and Microsoft cos they're just in it to make a buck, and if they fail to make some soon, they'll pull out quicker than a 14 year old boy.

I look at that 7 Billion, and I wonder how much of that is the 'cube. I was under the impression that the gameboy is by far the most popular gaming device on the market, but the cube was 3rd among the consoles (at least in popularity). I could see the profit being more than 70% atributed to the gameboy. After all, until last month, Nintendo was the only company with 2 devices in the gaming market.

I did say that too when I mentioned it, I could see Nintendo ditching consoles, concentrating on the gameboy and liscensing their games to other systems.

There is nothing wrong with being better at software than hardware. Sega and Atari are good examples. Every since Playstation debuted, I think Nintendo has been a step behind in hardware, handhelds aside. This is evidenced by the fact that most people I know have a gameboy and some non-nintendo console. And if we have a cube, it's for Zelda, Metroid and Smash Brothers. Maybe Cart and Mario Party. Everything else we buy for the other systems.

I don't really understand this. Why would you rather move a stick than just move the controller? What does the stick offer that is so great? I want to play a first person game where I just move the controller to change my angle. Gyroscopic control is the next step from analog sticks for me.

Personally, I dont want to tie my controllers movement to my own. I move around alot, I move my controller a lot, and I dont want to die if I sneeze and fall off a cliff because I dropped my controller. I guess it all depends on the implementaion.

T.I (uh oh)
April 27th, 2005, 5:44 AM
Although the Revolution will be the greatest thing since [whatever], heres what I see happening:

The mass market will ignore it, claiming it to be "too different" etc.

Sony & Microsoft will secretly loathe the fact that they didn't implement this type of stuff into the PS3 and Xbox 360, then when the next generation comes around, both Sony and Microsoft will claim to have the most innovative thing ever: gyroscopic controllers, and stereoscopic vision etc (in other words, a suped up Revolution).

The market will be all like "whoa this is like so cool roxor!!!11" and Nintendo will be left scratching their heads like "wtf do we have to do to get over here?"

The Great Dave
April 27th, 2005, 10:00 AM
There is nothing wrong with being better at software than hardware. Sega and Atari are good examples. Every since Playstation debuted, I think Nintendo has been a step behind in hardware, handhelds aside. This is evidenced by the fact that most people I know have a gameboy and some non-nintendo console. And if we have a cube, it's for Zelda, Metroid and Smash Brothers. Maybe Cart and Mario Party. Everything else we buy for the other systems.

The Gamecube's library has far more quality than for Mario Party to be mentioned amungst it's best games.

Nintendo have always made brilliant hardware. The N64 was the first console designed from the ground up to deliver 3D graphics. The Gamecube has eliminated load times from DVD, and is definatly not as far behind the XBox as people act. NES was groundbreaking. Nintendo's problems are image based. Their hardware has always been top notch. They've never launched an underpowered console, unless you count the DS compared to the PSP.

If your point is that they sell less consoles...well yeah, that's true. But they still make money on their sales, unlike Microsoft. And unlike Sega with the Dreamcast. People compare Sega to Nintendo far too often, what people need to realise is that Sega is, and was, run by complete IDIOTS. Nintendo can go from a 100% market share to a 20% market share and still make money. Sega can't cope with anything but a 50% market share.

Although the Revolution will be the greatest thing since [whatever], heres what I see happening:

The mass market will ignore it, claiming it to be "too different" etc.

Sony & Microsoft will secretly loathe the fact that they didn't implement this type of stuff into the PS3 and Xbox 360, then when the next generation comes around, both Sony and Microsoft will claim to have the most innovative thing ever: gyroscopic controllers, and stereoscopic vision etc (in other words, a suped up Revolution).

The market will be all like "whoa this is like so cool roxor!!!11" and Nintendo will be left scratching their heads like "wtf do we have to do to get over here?"

Give Mario a gun. That's pretty much all they can do. Give Mario a gun, and have Zelda run around topless. Because only THEN will the game be accepted by 20 year old retards.

Croc
April 27th, 2005, 10:19 AM
They could just make Mario not stupid. Paper Mario turned people off because of its graphics. It was too different. Mario Sunshine turned people off because of its gameplay. It looks too childish. Windwaker turned people off because of its graphics. It looks too cartoony. The older generation wants 3D realistic looking games. Why do you think the new Zelda is one of the most anticipated games coming out while the Windwaker was just another notch in the pole for Zelda games? Why was Ocarina the most anticipated game ever when it was released? Ocarina was the game everyone loved in fullscale 3D. It was fucking amazing. Mario 64 was Mario in fullscale 3D. It was fucking amazing. Maybe they didn't take a step back with the next games released, but image wise they were moving away from what older gamers want. It doesn't have to be violent or sexy, it just has to not look like something a 12 year-old should be buying.

For the record I bought Windwaker and loved it, but not nearly as much as Ocarina, and while most of my complaints come from gameplay rather than graphics, I would be lying if I said I thought Windwaker was on par with what the new Zelda will look like. I prefer the realistic look. With the Gamecube, all Nintendo had to do was make its franchises in stunning 3D and it would have worked. Look what Metroid Prime did. Why couldn't they do that with Mario, Donkey Kong, etc?

Also the image of the Gamecube held it back. They said it was convenient in size and a space saver. What I saw was something not as sleak as the PS2. They said online gaming wasn't a priority. Big mistake. They said they didn't want to include a DVD player. Big mistake. They alienated third party developers by making their discs smaller. If they can just fix half of the problems that went wrong with the Gamecube they should easily reclaim the share of the market they lost. Nintendo will never go under like Sega as long as they have their core of franchises that everybody loves.

T.I (uh oh)
April 27th, 2005, 11:07 AM
They could just make Mario not stupid. Paper Mario turned people off because of its graphics. It was too different.

Mario has always been a stupid franchise though. Let's think about it, you are a plumber, who lives in a world where mushrooms have grown legs and walk around. I don't see anyway possible to not make the game silly.

Mario Sunshine turned people off because of its gameplay. It looks too childish.

How is this possible when it has the exact same gameplay as Mario 64? If anything it increased the complexity of the gameplay due to the FLUDD. The only difference is the location.

Windwaker turned people off because of its graphics. It looks too cartoony. The older generation wants 3D realistic looking games. Why do you think the new Zelda is one of the most anticipated games coming out while the Windwaker was just another notch in the pole for Zelda games?

The Wind Waker was highly anticipated. Seriously, no Zelda fan did not, not buy the game because of the graphics. As for the "older generation", well you may be right maybe they don't want cartoonish looking games, but the younger generation do, so why alienate them, by only releasing realistic looking games, that their parents won't buy for them?

Why was Ocarina the most anticipated game ever when it was released? Ocarina was the game everyone loved in fullscale 3D. It was fucking amazing. Mario 64 was Mario in fullscale 3D. It was fucking amazing.

Thats exactly right, they were everybody's favorite franchises in 3D. Had Zelda taken a different graphical route with OOT, it still would have sold extraordinarily well. And as for Mario, it's hardly a realistic looking game. I don't know what your on about here.

Maybe they didn't take a step back with the next games released, but image wise they were moving away from what older gamers want. It doesn't have to be violent or sexy, it just has to not look like something a 12 year-old should be buying.

Mario 64 has one of the most childish looking boxes I have ever seen, yet you rave about that. Super Smash Bros Melee is one of the most childish looking games in concept, execution and packaging, yet that is still the most popular gamecube title to date.

Eternal Darkness, which is filled to the brim with adult themes, and imagery, and has a cool box too, sold next to nothing. The Metal Gear Solid remake, sold next to nothing. The Resident Evil games (including Remake, Zero and Four) haven't gone close to Smash Bros, Wind Waker or Sunshine.

Obviously, Nintendo fans don't care for image.

For the record I bought Windwaker and loved it, but not nearly as much as Ocarina, and while most of my complaints come from gameplay rather than graphics, I would be lying if I said I thought Windwaker was on par with what the new Zelda will look like. I prefer the realistic look.

You just said it, the gameplay in the Wind Waker was the problem, not the graphics. I prefer a more realistic look too, but I can still marvel at what the Wind Waker accomplished. And does this mean that Zelda games like Minish Cap, Link to the Past and others weren't anticipated because of their non-realistic graphics? Does this mean that OOT and Majora's Mask are the only one's people have ever looked forward too? Please.

With the Gamecube, all Nintendo had to do was make its franchises in stunning 3D and it would have worked. Look what Metroid Prime did. Why couldn't they do that with Mario, Donkey Kong, etc?

Metroid Prime alienated most of it's core fanatics, by entering 3D. Most hardcore fans of the series think that the Metroid Prime "series" is a black sheep in an otherwise great herd. And Metroid hardly sold consoles.

And how exactly do you want Donkey Kong to look? You cannot make everything uber-realistic, expecially when it goes against the core play mechanics of the franchise (see Metroid above). Donkey Kong is a platformer, he jumps around trees etc, it would be very hard to make that into a realistic looking title, without compromising the gameplay a huge degree.

Also the image of the Gamecube held it back. They said it was convenient in size and a space saver. What I saw was something not as sleak as the PS2.

All the next gen systems are ugly. XBox is heavier than a pallette of bricks and is way too big, PS2 looks like a plain black box, and the Gamecube was purple. And it was a space saver, just like PS2's stand thing was. The image of the system had nothing to do with it, the image of the company, and the image of the software that they would have was a problem.

They said online gaming wasn't a priority. Big mistake. They said they didn't want to include a DVD player. Big mistake. They alienated third party developers by making their discs smaller.

They made discs smaller to protect the developers from piracy. They didn't include a DVD player because everyone already has DVD players. Thats like saying that the SNES wasn't worth buying because it didn't have a VCR or a CD player. I mean whats the point of providing something that people already have?

As for online, well it didn't really take off until the middle of this generation, and even know the number of online users isn't a substantial chunk of the gaming community. Until online is cheaper, more accessable, and adopted by many more developers, it won't be a huge priority for Nintendo. However, with Revolutions Wi-Fi, which will be included with the console (no additional hardware), and is rumoured to be free to use, they are way ahead of XBox Live and PS Online with their steep subscription fees and broadband reliance.

If they can just fix half of the problems that went wrong with the Gamecube they should easily reclaim the share of the market they lost. Nintendo will never go under like Sega as long as they have their core of franchises that everybody loves.

I really have nothing more to say, except that they will not EASILY regain their market share. Especially considering that the market is now made up of ignorant gamers who want clone after clone instead of artistc vision and originality.

[/rant]

The Great Dave
April 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Yay, I didn't have to type a rant! :heart: you.

Croc
April 27th, 2005, 1:49 PM
Stop chopping my paragraphs into sentences and replying to each of them you ignorant twat. Anyone can make an arguement that way but in the end it looks stupid and annoys the piss out of everyone.

Mario Sunshine's gameplay turned people off. I'm not talking about the game engine as much as I'm talking about the style of the game. It was a childish concept. Mario 64 was not.

As for your comments about older games not selling well on the Gamecube, well it doesn't take a genius to pick out the obvious flaw in that logic. Nobody buys a Gamecube to play adult games on it. The Gamecube was marketed to a younger crowd, so all of the adult games that were later released for it are obviously not going to sell as many copies as the kid games like SSBM.

I'm not even going to reply to your comments on Zelda because you're obviously twisting my words around to suit your arguement. Just because I said OoT was anticipated because of its groundbreaking realistic graphics doesn't mean the other Zelda games weren't. I was only refering to the Windwaker, which was NOT as anticipated. Trying to argue that is like trying to make a case that the Sun revolves around the Earth. You're going to be wrong, so just accept it. Windwaker alienated fans because of its childish graphics. Most people who bought the game didn't find the graphics to be distracting, but the fact is it was not nearly as successful as Ocarina. It was a step back.

Metroid didn't alienate anyone I know. I'd like to see where you got this from. Metroid hardly had a huge libary of games to begin with. There were only 3 great Metroid games before Prime: Metroid (NES), Metroid II (Gameboy) and Super Metroid (SNES). Metroid isn't nearly as popular as the Mario or Zelda franchise, yet Metroid Prime was one of the most well received games of the system. Its critically acclaimed and loved by most fans. If it's the black sheep then what does that make Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time? Neither of those franchises had 3D games before those two broke the mold, and they were both huge hits.

Also the DVD arguement is stupid. Everyone doesn't have a DVD player, nor does everyone have DVD players throughout their house. If the Gamecube is connected to a seperate TV then it can serve as that televisions DVD player. Since the Gamecube is easier to move than most systems it could be used as a portable DVD player. Just bring it to your friends house to watch a movie, or carry it with you on vacation. The everyone has a DVD player arguement is a cop out.

The piracy thing works, but Nintendo ended up alienating third party developers by making the discs small. Why do you think the Gamecube has such a small library compared to other systems?

And finally the online thing is ANOTHER cop out. In fact at this point it seems like you're disagreeing with everything I say just to try to be an asshole, however I take pleasure in pointing out when people are stupid. Online play is huge and Nintendo DID miss the boat. Sony is coming out with PS2's that have online adapters built in. They're been doing that for over a year. X-Box is coming out with free trials on X-Box live to introduce gamers to playing online. Both systems now have easy hookups for LAN connections so people in dorms can play each other. Sony and Microsoft had more insight than Nintendo on the online thing. Either that or Nintendo just ignored it. Either way, it doesn't give off a good image when one company is ignoring a growing market while the other ones are introducing new ways to play online.

The Great Dave
April 27th, 2005, 2:43 PM
How was Mario Sunshine any more childish than Mario 64? Mario Sunshine involved Mario saving Peach. Mario 64 involved Mario saving Peach. The only difference was the setting and FLUDD.

Gamecube wasn't marketed to a younger crowd. Show me one commercial for Gamecube that targets anybody outside the typical teenage game player.

Wind Waker's graphics hurt it's popularity. I'll agree with that. Didn't hurt it's quality for me, but there you go.

Metroid alienated me. I'm a huge fan of the 2D games, and I hate the Prime series. But while Metroid Prime was quite a hit (to a degree), Metroid Prime 2 was not. Which seems to imply that a lot of people were turned off by the style of Metroid Prime.

The DVD player argument can't be solved. But I think it's safe to say that the PS2 having a DVD player in 2000 was much more important than the Gamecube not having a DVD player in 2001. I don't think it turned people off as such. The XBox didn't have a DVD player as standard, but nobody really says that hurt it.

The Gamecube has a small library because third party games sell poorly on it. It has absolutely nothing to do with the medium. It is more than adequate for the vast majority of games. The issue is that it's hard to sell EA games to Nintendo fans.

Something like 8% of XBox owners use online. So a console that uses online as a HUGE selling point doesn't manage to get more than a couple of million people to sign up for it. Online is not huge right now. The cost and relatively complexity of it prevents it from being. Feel free to argue the importance of online when the top selling console in the world has a pretty low emphasis on online play. Now, of course it would have helped Nintendo to offer online play, as it does appeal to some people. But it was hardly the biggest mistake Nintendo made this generation.

The Great Dave
April 27th, 2005, 4:09 PM
This is more speculation by a guy nobody knows. Don't trust it.

It was posted on the Broken Saint's site, in the comments section, by some guy claiming to be "in the know". Which, as we all know, is probably bullshit, but his ideas seem a lot more realistic

*edited out, because it's comfirmed not to be true ;)*

TapOut
April 27th, 2005, 9:21 PM
I think this could be cool, but I feel that it will just further Nintendo's departure from being a serious top contender in the video game console wars and take a step into becoming a member of "it's own little nintendo world".

I love Nintendo, but I can promise you that the PS3 and even the X-Box2 would absolutely wallop this type of machine in sales.

The Great Dave
April 27th, 2005, 9:45 PM
I think this could be cool, but I feel that it will just further Nintendo's departure from being a serious top contender in the video game console wars and take a step into becoming a member of "it's own little nintendo world".

I love Nintendo, but I can promise you that the PS3 and even the X-Box2 would absolutely wallop this type of machine in sales.

But what if it really is that good? What if it totally offered something amazing and new? For me, Nintendo are going the best possible way of competing with Sony and Microsoft: setting themselves as a unique source of gaming. If Nintendo offer something Sony and Microsoft can't, as well as the stuff Sony and Microsoft can, then they're on to a winner. It all depends on the strength of the ideas, and how well they are marketed to the casual gamer. Internet gaming is going to be free with Nintendo Revolution. So why would anybody buy the XBox 2 version of an online game? An FPS on the Revolution could use gyro technology to make control easier than ever. So why buy the PS3 version? That's the angle Nintendo need to go with. Offer everything the PS3 and XBox 2 does, but better.

RV3
April 27th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Internet gaming is going to be free with Nintendo Revolution. So why would anybody buy the XBox 2 version of an online game? An FPS on the Revolution could use gyro technology to make control easier than ever. So why buy the PS3 version? That's the angle Nintendo need to go with. Offer everything the PS3 and XBox 2 does, but better.

Is Sony going to start charging for playing online with the PS3? As I understand it, it is free now, and I am pretty sure there are free services to play your XBox on (XBConnect?).

And about WiFi being built in, I sure hope they have a standard ethernet jack as well, 'cause I sure dont want to use WiFi if I dont have to.

I'm still skeptical about the gyro controller, but I'm not above trying things.

And as far as that article goes, talking about how the XBox360 is going to be the least powerful of the 3, I assume its because MS realized that the XBox is going to be phased out before it's capablities are fully realized, so why spend the time and money to develop over the top specs that wont be used.

Of course, thats going to hurt preception, and we all know how important that is. I'm more than likely going to own 2 of these systems and playstation can pencil me in for a PS3, its gonna be up to MS and Nintendo to "Wow" me into a system. E3, you cant come soon enough.

TapOut
April 27th, 2005, 10:57 PM
But what if it really is that good? What if it totally offered something amazing and new? For me, Nintendo are going the best possible way of competing with Sony and Microsoft: setting themselves as a unique source of gaming. If Nintendo offer something Sony and Microsoft can't, as well as the stuff Sony and Microsoft can, then they're on to a winner. It all depends on the strength of the ideas, and how well they are marketed to the casual gamer. Internet gaming is going to be free with Nintendo Revolution. So why would anybody buy the XBox 2 version of an online game? An FPS on the Revolution could use gyro technology to make control easier than ever. So why buy the PS3 version? That's the angle Nintendo need to go with. Offer everything the PS3 and XBox 2 does, but better.

I was promised the same thing with the gamecube though, and all I got was really good first-party games. Third party games that are worth the purchase are few and far between when compared to Sony and even X-Box.

The Gamecube promised to focus solely on gaming, and to an extent, it did, but it didn't dish up anything that the X-Box or PS2 wasn't fully capable of, other than Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda and Metroid games. But as far as innovative features and stuff of that nature, I wasn't impressed.

Sure, on paper, the concept sounds great, but when doesn't it? There are a million "what-if". At the end of the day though, I want a game system that is going to sit on or near my tv and allow me to play fun, innovative and awesome games with great graphics and features. I can guarantee the X-Box 2 and PS3 will deliver that, but with Nintendo and this rumor, I'm not sure if this will be more of a novelty instead of a true video game system that I would like to own.

Beer-Belly
April 28th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Give Mario a gun. That's pretty much all they can do. Give Mario a gun, and have Zelda run around topless. Because only THEN will the game be accepted by 20 year old retards.
Actually, I always thought that a Tarentino-esque Mario game would be crazy fun.

T.I (uh oh)
April 28th, 2005, 1:46 AM
Actually, I always thought that a Tarentino-esque Mario game would be crazy fun.

Hell it worked for Conker! He went from all cutesy and whatever, to a drunken lunatic, and everyone loves him for it.

The Great Dave
May 13th, 2005, 6:18 AM
May 12, 2005 - The Electronics Entertainment Expo 2005 is still days away, but that hasn't stopped Microsoft from debuting its Xbox 360 console on MTV. And now Nintendo has followed suit, revealing some new, meaty details about its next-generation console, codenamed Revolution.

In a recent New York Times article, Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs Perrin Kaplan describes the console as "very, very sleek." The system, which is reportedly tiny, will stand horizontally. Its width will reportedly be no more than three DVD cases stacked flatly on each other, or slightly more than an inch. That makes the console theoretically smaller than Apple's recently released Mac Mini computer.
Although Nintendo has historically selected proprietary media formats, such as the GameCube Optical Disc, for its platforms, the publisher is with Revolution opting for a more standardized medium. The new console will play standard DVD media, according to the company. Nintendo has not yet revealed if Revolution will as a result be able to play Hollywood movies on DVD, but that seems very likely at this point.

At the Game Developers' Conference in March, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that Revolution would offer Wi-Fi online connections out of the box and would be backward compatible with GameCube, or able to play GCN software.

According to recent information, Revolution will also be able to play high-definition games and regularly go online.

Finally -- something of a no-brainer given the popularity of the Wave Bird pads -- Revolution's still-secret controller will be completely wireless. Controllers for Microsoft's Xbox 360 are also wireless. Upon hearing this news, puppies everywhere let out a collective cry.

More details to come at E3 2005. Stay tuned.

Sounds like Nintendo are trying to fix the issues people had with the Gamecube. Better design, DVD playback, online play...only question is if they can get third party support. Good to see the Wavebirds as standard too. High Def appeals to some people too, I guess.

Stan Hibbert
May 13th, 2005, 6:37 AM
How will we be able to play GC games with the new, "revolutionary" controller? Surely it's too different.

Maybe there's a socket for a Cube controller or something. :dunno:

I think it's important that the console itself looks sleek so that it slips nicely into any multimedia setup. One of the issues I had with the GC was that it looked like some kind of Fisher Price toy (which is why I strayed from the purple design in favour of black).

The Great Dave
May 13th, 2005, 6:42 AM
I honestly think the black Gamecube looks just as good as a PS2 or an XBox. Actually, it pretty much destroys the XBox.

My assumption is that either the controller has all the same buttons as the Gamecube controller, but has additional stuff under the hood (Gyros or something), or they'll just let you plug a Gamecube controller in. Seeing as the Revolution is going to be all Wavebird controlled, I can't imagine them building in some ports on the face of the console just for Gamecube controllers though. So we may have to either use Gamecube Wavebirds, or Nintendo will have something else in mind.

Stan Hibbert
May 13th, 2005, 6:52 AM
Using Wavebirds would be most logical, but not everyone has them (me included). They could give one away with the console, but then no multiplayer until you buy more. :\

Ah well, only a few more days until we find out.

The Great Dave
May 13th, 2005, 8:05 AM
Indeed. Nintendo are letting IGN stream their E3 conference live on Tuesday, 5pm UK Time. You have to be an IGN Insider to watch though, thankfully I'm foolish enough to be one.

The Great Dave
May 15th, 2005, 3:25 PM
Nintendo, the world leader in video game innovation, stated loud and clear that they are not to be overlooked in the next generation home console race with the revelation of several unique features of the company's next console system, code name Revolution, to key media outlets. According to the early information, Revolution will combine powerful technology and gaming-focused features in Nintendo's smallest home game console yet.

In its final form, Revolution will be about the thickness of three standard DVD cases and only slightly longer. The versatile Revolution will play either horizontally or vertically, allowing the user total flexibility in setting up a gaming session wherever they have a television.

Thanks to Nintendo's hardware development partners IBM and ATI, the small system will be packed with power that will enable it to wow players with its graphics. Nintendo's legions of loyal fans will be happy to learn that Revolution will be backward compatible, playing both Nintendo GameCube 8cm disks along with its own 12cm optical disks in the same self-loading media drive.

In the next generation, the addition of the Internet will be important to all consoles and particularly important to Nintendo. Revolution will be wireless Internet ready out of the box.

There's much more to Revolution that will be revealed over the coming months, but the combination of its compact size, wireless Internet, backward compatibility, quick start-up time and quiet, low-power operation add up to the start of a great game system. Get ready for the Nintendo Revolution in 2006!

Things I like: "Self-loading media drive", "quick start-up time" "quiet" "Nintendo" "Revolution"

Pablo Diablo
May 16th, 2005, 4:29 PM
Things I don't like, the rumours that neither the console or the controllers will be shown. Only game footage. This is what gamespot is saying, it's worrying me. I sorta wanted to see what it would look like.

The Great Dave
May 16th, 2005, 4:42 PM
Nintendo are apparently nervous about their ideas being stolen. Which...you know, is fair enough. I guess it depends how much of the PS3 is shown. If Sony pretty much give us all the info about their new console, Nintendo really wouldn't have to worry about them changing it completely to accomadate whatever ideas Nintendo have. But we all know Nintendo have set a lot of standards in the industry, so it's natural they'd be reluctant to reveal all.

I'll be happy with video footage anyway. The thing isn't out for well over a year. Give me some idea of what's revolutionary about it, give me some footage of games in development, and explain that you've learned from the mistakes of Gamecube. Then, I shall be satisfied, Nintendo.

Judas Iscariot
May 16th, 2005, 8:41 PM
Not sure if this has been posted. But here's a link to a Nintendo Revolution video deal. It's a bit long (six minutes) but I'd say it's worth watching.

If what this claims is even remotely true, the new X-Box and PS3 can go to hell. This is where it's at.

http://c.streamingmovies.ign.com/cube/article/613/613578/revolutionmockup.wmv

TapOut
May 16th, 2005, 8:47 PM
That video was garbage.

The Great Dave
May 16th, 2005, 8:50 PM
That's not the Revolution, IGN clearly said MANY MANY MANY times it isn't. It's a fan made project. Nintendo had nothing to do with it in any way, and Revolution will almost certainly not be like that.

Judas Iscariot
May 16th, 2005, 8:51 PM
That's not the Revolution, IGN clearly said MANY MANY MANY times it isn't.

I was led to believe by a third party that it was. Now I feel deceived, naked and alone with my once high hopes mercilessly dashed on the jagged rocks of reality.

What the hell is that, then? I want that thing.

Dan The Man
May 16th, 2005, 8:53 PM
It's a German group's video to "protest" the rapidity with which new entertainment technology comes out.

The Great Dave
May 16th, 2005, 8:53 PM
Some fan just made it. Based on rumours that the Revolution would be something like that. Trust me, that's nothing you should watch and believe is what you're gonna read about in a day or so.

T.I (uh oh)
May 16th, 2005, 8:54 PM
That video is entirely fake. Fucking awesome job, but fake.

Revolution will not be a augmented reality job.

As many of you were quick to point out to me, augmented reality would not work this generation (*cough* BULLSHIT *cough*)

http://forums.rajah.com/showthread.php?t=100709

but yeh still a fake

Judas Iscariot
May 16th, 2005, 8:54 PM
What the hell does that even mean?

You mean to tell me that some people sat down and came up with all of that? Do they have jobs? If not, they maybe ought to get some. And build that thing. Because I want that thing.

Dan The Man
May 16th, 2005, 8:55 PM
What the hell does that even mean?

You mean to tell me that some people sat down and came up with all of that? Do they have jobs? If not, they maybe ought to get some. And build that thing. Because I want that thing.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/15/news_6124668.html

T.I (uh oh)
May 16th, 2005, 9:11 PM
heres some links to some more fake revolution stuff:

http://home.btconnect.com/hgi/nintendo-ds/nintendo-revolution.jpg
http://home.btconnect.com/hgi/nintendo-ds/nintendo-revolution-2.jpg

http://www.blogadictos.com/upload/revo28vf.jpg

i personally like both ideas presented.

Bishop_Supreme
May 16th, 2005, 9:11 PM
When I saw the video, I thought it was real and when the system started to look like a brain, then I was thinking... yea right. (And also the thought of motion controlled Virtual gaming kind of scared me. I had a virtual boy, but It had a controller with it.)

Then when I saw the Mario at the end, I was thinking that had to be fake, because the Mario they showed was pretty ugly. He looked like a misshapen Luigi wearing red.

The Great Dave
May 17th, 2005, 6:07 AM
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/615/615008/e3-2005-revolution-revealed-20050517010646774.jpg

Your Nintendo Revolution. Looks pretty awesome to me, tiny as the pic is.

Revolution is "two to three times more powerful than GameCube," according to Nintendo.

The system will offer a "free Internet-based player-matching service, similar to Xbox Live." The service will also offer downloadable versions of classic Nintendo games, such as Donkey Kong and Super Mario Sunshine.

Downloading Nintendo games?! Nintendo...I fucking adore you. While I can't imagine how I can download Super Mario Sunshine, due to it's size...Donkey Kong?! Oh, how awesome you are. Please keep the price reasonable though. I'll pay £1 or 2 for a downloadable ROM, that's it.

T.I (uh oh)
May 17th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Very slick looking piece of machinery right there. Simple, but ultra cool.

Notice there is no plugs for controllers, or memory cards. It features a self loading disc drive which I like too, but i don't see how that will work with the smaller gamecube discs?

Can't wait to see the controller, man it's gonna be something special, I just know it.

Oh, and just on the logo, in the word Revolution, the two "o"s are replaced by DVD's, although the second one is a smaller size, could this mean something??

Here's hoping that Nintendo takes a leaf out of Microsofts book and allows customisation of the Revolution, in terms of the light that comes out of the disc drive. Red or Gold would certainly look better in my games room than blue :D

Stan Hibbert
May 17th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Just seen the Revolution pics over at IGN. It's sleek, it's small, it's plain...it's brilliant.

The Great Dave
May 17th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Wow, after seeing the large pics, I'm in love. Exactly the kind of design Nintendo should have gone for.

2 minutes till the E3 conference. I'm watching on Gamespot seeing as IGN BLOWS.

TapOut
May 17th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Finally, it looks like Nintendo is "getting it". Instead of trying to stray from the pack, they are going to lead it.

The system looks ultra-sleek and cool, although I think the PS3 looks equally impressive, even though some don't like the look of it.

But yeah, the Revolution looks amazing.

This just gets better and better, and I'm glad to see Nintendo saying "NOT ONLY are we going to do this and this, but we're going to do this and this as well." instead of "well, we won't be doing that...or that.. that... or that because we're going to focus on games." like they did with the Gamecube. Focusing on games is great, but Nintendo is realizing that all this extra "stuff" is going to integrate into games to make them better.

When the 64 was out, you couldn't hold a gun to my head and tell me the Playstation was better. But when the Ps2 came out, I really had to admit that I felt it was better than the GC. But now, Nintendo has started out on the right path to winning it's fans back.

Stan Hibbert
May 17th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I'm watching the conference, but it's incredibly choppy and I can't really make out much of what's being said.

Kane's Lady
May 17th, 2005, 1:24 PM
I just saw pictures of the Revolution.

I nearly wept.

TapOut is correct. Nintendo is "getting it" I know that they can compete with Sony and Microsoft this cycle. Maybe even give them a run for there money.

Linky to Gamespot's latest article: The Revolution is nigh (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/17/news_6125078.html)

Stan Hibbert
May 17th, 2005, 1:27 PM
Revolution Zelda and Mario already in development. Smash Brothers on the way as well. :hyper:

Vice
May 17th, 2005, 1:51 PM
Mmmm.. very very pretty.

Stan Hibbert
May 17th, 2005, 2:07 PM
Crystal Chronicles Revolution also in development. :yes:

Other than those few games being confirmed though, the conference was disappointing as far as the Revolution goes. They revealed bugger-all about the thing.

The Great Dave
May 17th, 2005, 2:38 PM
True, I would have liked more info on Revolution. But really, I didn't expect much more. The thing is out in over a year. That's plenty of time for them to reveal info.

SD media as a storage medium = :yes:. It's cheep, it's easily upgradable, and by 2006 it'll probably be pretty cheep. Much smarter than putting a hard drive in there.

Being able to download SNES, NES and N64 games makes me so happy, it's something I've long asked for. And with Gamecube compatability, this really is THE Nintendo console.

The high-res pictures are beautiful too. Nintendo say the final thing will be even smaller :yes:

Online launch and Mario in development is enough for me today.

TapOut
May 17th, 2005, 2:48 PM
Is Mario going to be a launch title? And is it going to be a platformer Mario? If it is, then I guess I know which system to plan on buying first.

Stan Hibbert
May 17th, 2005, 2:49 PM
Maybe the Revolution will let us take old games online. :chin:

It's true that they didn't need to reveal everything now, but what they did reveal does pale in comparison to what the competition had to show. This was a chance to wow everyone and in the end we're just left on the edges of our seats.

Dan The Man
May 17th, 2005, 5:05 PM
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but come on...

The big news was that it plays old games. A company that has routinely been thrashed because it has developed three or four (admittedly amazing) franchises while the rest of its library is pretty much junk, and now they've got you all hyped for not just stagnation but regression.

What are they really saying? "We're going to have emulators built-in." Well guess what: my computer and that of anyone else who desires already has NES and SNES emulators, Dreamcast had NES and SNES emulators, and a chipped X-Box has NES and SNES emulators.

They're actually selling ice to eskimos, and you're just lining up to fill your fridge. Unbelievable.

Stan Hibbert
May 17th, 2005, 5:28 PM
It's just a little extra for crying out loud. If I'm playing the Revolution and fancy a quick go of a classic game then it's right there at my fingertips.

Not everyone has room for a load of ROMs on a family PC. Especially N64 ones.

TapOut
May 17th, 2005, 6:02 PM
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but come on...

The big news was that it plays old games. A company that has routinely been thrashed because it has developed three or four (admittedly amazing) franchises while the rest of its library is pretty much junk, and now they've got you all hyped for not just stagnation but regression.

What are they really saying? "We're going to have emulators built-in." Well guess what: my computer and that of anyone else who desires already has NES and SNES emulators, Dreamcast had NES and SNES emulators, and a chipped X-Box has NES and SNES emulators.

They're actually selling ice to eskimos, and you're just lining up to fill your fridge. Unbelievable.

I'm not just happy because they are going to let us download and play old games. It's that right now, it looks like Nintendo is going to do let us do everything the other machines will let us. When X-Box and PS2 came out and promised online play, DVD playback, and all this other stuff, and Nintendo's system wouldn't even let me play a cd on it, I felt kinda ripped. What they are doing with the Revolution, at least for now, is making it know that whatever Sony or X360 is offering, they too are offering, if not one-upping.

The Rogerer
May 17th, 2005, 6:57 PM
I have to go with Dave on this one. Nintendo are reheating the leftovers one too many times. The N64 was the girlfriend that they never really recovered from being dumped by.

I'd love to see them really pull the thumb out, make a game that's new and worth remembering rather than trading on nostalgia or fancy hardware.

The Rogerer
May 17th, 2005, 7:02 PM
Finally, it looks like Nintendo is "getting it". Instead of trying to stray from the pack, they are going to lead it. If they were a band/sports team/anything else this would be called selling out, surely. The appearnance of the Revolution is shit. Wooo sleek black box, that's interesting :blah:
The system looks ultra-sleek and cool, although I think the PS3 looks equally impressive, even though some don't like the look of it.

But yeah, the Revolution looks amazing. If half of what they say is true, I may cream my pants. Downloading SNES games? Downloading N64 games? Possibly even GC games? Hell, NES, SNES, and even 64 games should easily be downloaded. I've downloaded them to my pc, so that makes enough sense. GC games? Well, if it's true, awesome. If not, if I can download just NES and SNES games, that's more than good enough for me. The thought of being able to download Links Awakening of DK 2 or 3 sends tingles to my unmentionables.

This just gets better and better, and I'm glad to see Nintendo saying "NOT ONLY are we going to do this and this, but we're going to do this and this as well." instead of "well, we won't be doing that...or that.. that... or that because we're going to focus on games." like they did with the Gamecube. Focusing on games is great, but Nintendo is realizing that all this extra "stuff" is going to integrate into games to make them better.

When the 64 was out, you couldn't hold a gun to my head and tell me the Playstation was better. But when the Ps2 came out, I really had to admit that I felt it was better than the GC. But now, Nintendo has started out on the right path to winning it's fans back.The Playstation and N64 were great because they could offer something new. We are now entering the third polygon generation, and why should I be excited about the new Zelda or Mario when the previous Zelda and Mario had nothing new to offer whatsoever?

TapOut
May 17th, 2005, 8:22 PM
If they were a band/sports team/anything else this would be called selling out, surely. The appearnance of the Revolution is shit. Wooo sleek black box, that's interesting :blah:The Playstation and N64 were great because they could offer something new. We are now entering the third polygon generation, and why should I be excited about the new Zelda or Mario when the previous Zelda and Mario had nothing new to offer whatsoever?

This is obviously a matter of taste. I think the Revolution is more than just sleek and black. My 35 dollar DVD player is sleek and gray. The Revolution is kinda stunning looking, and anyone who isn't into video games may very well wonder what the hell that awesome machine is, and what it does. What are they supposed to do? Shape it like a giant joystick so that any adult won't buy it out of fear of looking "stupid"?

And the games? I disagree that the Zelda and Mario games on the Gamecube (hell, even the GBA and DS for that matter) didn't offer anything new.

And as far as the selling out, maybe you are right about what it would be called if it was music, sports, or another form of entertainment. But simply put, it isn't music or sports: it's video games, and if it wants to compete, it's not only going to have to offer what the other systems do, but something unique as well. That's why I'm looking foward to the next-gen systems: I want to see what will be unique to each machine.

T.I (uh oh)
May 17th, 2005, 9:36 PM
How people are judging the Revolution yet is beyond me.

They have released little detail about its technical capabilities, have yet to show off any type of game, and haven't even told us whats so "revolutionary" about the system and how it will allow games to be played.

All we know is that the machine is tiny, and it has WiFi capabilities. Thats about it.

Just wait and see before passing judgement on it.

OT: Nintendogs is so cool. :D

DuskHorizon
May 18th, 2005, 3:28 AM
As long as it gets Resident Evil titles, the Resident Evil titles made the Gamecube the best console for me. XBOX has it's Halo titles and PS2 has.... GTA titles that will turn up on the XBOX twice as good?

The Great Dave
May 19th, 2005, 7:02 AM
The Playstation and N64 were great because they could offer something new. We are now entering the third polygon generation, and why should I be excited about the new Zelda or Mario when the previous Zelda and Mario had nothing new to offer whatsoever?

Have you been paying attention to anything Nintendo say? Notice how it's called "Revolution"? We're not getting the third N64. We're getting what Nintendo hopes is as important to gaming as the NES and N64 were.

Just so you people can stop acting like the "big news" is it can play old Nintendo games, that's so obviously not the main selling point of the thing. Nintendo have devoted as much time to talking about that as Microsoft have to their "XBox Live Marketplace" thing. You know, the thing where they're gonna try and make you pay to get all the stuff in a game you just spent £40 on?

My assumption is that either the controller has all the same buttons as the Gamecube controller, but has additional stuff under the hood (Gyros or something), or they'll just let you plug a Gamecube controller in. Seeing as the Revolution is going to be all Wavebird controlled, I can't imagine them building in some ports on the face of the console just for Gamecube controllers though. So we may have to either use Gamecube Wavebirds, or Nintendo will have something else in mind.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/615/615030/e3-2005-high-res-revolution-images-20050517100455584.jpg

Looks like I lose. That's very cool to put the ports in like that.

Judas Iscariot
May 19th, 2005, 2:36 PM
In regards to the fake Nintendo ON head brain system thing, here's some interesting developments...

If you watch the fake video, you can see a system underneath the Gamecube with a "?" that bears striking resemblance to the Revolution.

The video also talks about left and right sides of the "brain." At the Revolution press conference, mention was made of the left and right sides of the "brain."

This video was allegedly shown at E3... http://pages.sbcglobal.net/lonic/SA/Rev-On-E3.wmv

Not to mention this photo:

http://corral.elrellano.com/miya-02.jpg

And this photo:

http://img262.echo.cx/img262/2635/cam15hr.jpg

What's that word at the Nintendo booth next to the company logo? That's right, it's the word "ON."

Oh, how this plot thickens.

The Rogerer
May 19th, 2005, 2:55 PM
That ON on the wall is clearly the same as the ON at the end of the RevolutiON. The O on the wall isn't the same as the one in the bullshit Nintendo ON logo.

Really, some people...

Judas Iscariot
May 19th, 2005, 3:30 PM
Alright, explain everything else.

The Rogerer
May 19th, 2005, 4:10 PM
What, like the mock-up video? It's a mock-up.

The logo is clearly the ON from Revolution, not the made on On with the power sign, which is another mock-up.

:dunno:

The Rogerer
May 19th, 2005, 4:14 PM
Have you been paying attention to anything Nintendo say? Notice how it's called "Revolution"? We're not getting the third N64. We're getting what Nintendo hopes is as important to gaming as the NES and N64 were.Yes, I have heard what they say. I want it to be true so desperately, but at the same time I'm fully braced for disappointment.

Dan The Man
May 19th, 2005, 4:34 PM
Well the Miyamoto picture, in addition to just blatantly looking fake, can be explained rather easily with this (http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/interviews/shigeru-miyamoto/miyamoto-candy.jpg).

It's not real, it's not planned, get over it.

Judas Iscariot
May 19th, 2005, 4:37 PM
You'll see.

You'll all see.

The Rogerer
May 19th, 2005, 6:31 PM
It could all have gone so differently...
http://members.lycos.co.uk/jomaaar/miscpics/nintendoon.jpg
The Miyamoto Lean Mean Fat Reducin' Grillin' Machine!

The Rogerer
May 19th, 2005, 6:45 PM
http://members.lycos.co.uk/jomaaar/miscpics/miyamotonowt.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/jomaaar/miscpics/miyamotopenthouse.jpg

The Great Dave
May 19th, 2005, 6:52 PM
:lol:

Nintendo ON or whatever the hell it is had the worst looking Mario at the end of it ever. Nintendo may be a lot of things, but being able to create a model of Mario isn't something they have a problem with. Seeing as they've got his model in dozens of games.

King101
May 19th, 2005, 6:54 PM
There's a new interview with Miyamoto up at IGn talking about the Revolution.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/617/617000p2.html

He makes some good points about Sony and Microsoft giving out meaningless numbers to make their systems seem impressive and that the games wont be able to play at that level.

This part is also pretty interesting:

IGNcube: We're all assuming that the revolutionary aspect of Revolution is the controller. Do you know what the Revolution is yet or are you still trying to figure that out?

Shigeru Miyamoto: [Laughs] You're doubting me, aren't you? I can see that you're over there mistrusting my word. I understand. [Laughs]

Of course. It's set in stone. It has been determined. I'd love to show it to you. I'd love to be able to show you the features of the Revolution controller and tell you about them. However, unfortunately if we do that too early those ideas would be stolen. We know that from past history. Analog stick. Boom - gone. Rumble Pak. We bring it out and everybody has to have rumble. We got the wireless out first and now there's wireless everywhere. So we have to keep it under wraps.

The Rogerer
May 19th, 2005, 7:06 PM
They did go to a lot of effort though.

I must say I'm not a fan of trailers or stat waving, but that actual Revolution trailer with all the palaces touched me.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/jomaaar/miscpics/reggie.jpg

I'll stop now.

The Great Dave
May 19th, 2005, 7:36 PM
Of course Nintendo are cautious. The controllers for all home consoles are basically made up of technology or layouts they brought to the market first. For them to spell out exactly what they've got planned over a year before the console comes out (and the PS3 comes out) would just be stupid. Because Sony are not above changing and adding things once a competitor has. Look at the "Dual Shock" and compare it to the original PS controller. And compare that to the SNES controller.

TapOut
May 19th, 2005, 9:21 PM
Damn.. hyping the controller.

Something juicy is cooking over at Nintendo. If there is one thing Nintendo has never, NEVER dropped the ball with, it's controllers/control layout. Even the awkward-looking N64 controller was comfy. In fact, as much as I like the dualshock, the GC controller is better due to it being roughly the same size but slightly thicker than the dualshock, making long play times go easier on the muscles in my hands.

I can't even contemplate what Nintendo might have up their sleeve for controler features.

Possibilities I'm merely naming off....

Some type of small "touch-screen" pad, maybe with a stylus? You know, borrowing a page from themselves......

Maybe there will be no actual "buttons", but it will be some typeof digital censors? I can't really see that happening, but hey, I'm just naming stuff.

built-in microphone?

The Great Dave
May 19th, 2005, 9:25 PM
Touch Screens are definatly out. It'll have no sort of screen on it, I think that's been confirmed by Iwata.

Personally, I think gyroscopes with some sort of "rubbing" technology. Something where rather than pressing buttons, you press the controller itself, or rub it somehow. I've heard rumours like that, and I think it could be interesting. Being able to shoot in Metroid Prime by just squeezing the controller, and being able to move your head by tilting the controller? A racing game with a set-up like that? The only issue would be having enough imputs (so to speak) to handle complex games that need 4 or more buttons.

TapOut
May 19th, 2005, 9:40 PM
Touch Screens are definatly out. It'll have no sort of screen on it, I think that's been confirmed by Iwata.

Personally, I think gyroscopes with some sort of "rubbing" technology. Something where rather than pressing buttons, you press the controller itself, or rub it somehow. I've heard rumours like that, and I think it could be interesting. Being able to shoot in Metroid Prime by just squeezing the controller, and being able to move your head by tilting the controller? A racing game with a set-up like that? The only issue would be having enough imputs (so to speak) to handle complex games that need 4 or more buttons.

I don't think that's possible right now. What about simply moving positions? What about playing games while laying down? What about just sitting in an awkward position. Having to sit straight up at a 90degree angle sounds a little off base. Maybe you can incorporate parts of that idea, but I don't see the whole controller bieng like that.

What about DS hookup? Will the revolution hook up to the DS? Or is Nintendo planning yet another hand-held by then? It seems to me that the DS is powerful enough and new enough to last through the Revolutions cycle, but hey, with Nintendo, who knows.

Lance Kokaine
May 20th, 2005, 2:10 AM
I don't know anyting about the controllers other than they are wireless, plus the systems itself will we be Wi-Fi, will also have access to every cartridge game for any nintendo system. Which is way awesome.

Stan Hibbert
May 20th, 2005, 5:52 AM
Question: does anyone here really think that whatever the Revolution controller has to offer will become as much of a staple in later console designs as say, the shoulder buttons and analog sticks? By that I mean will we see the third and fourth XBox and PS3 incarnates incorperate ideas first brought around by the Revolution?

I ask because, as much as the same thing could've been said 10 years ago, I don't see any real way in which controller design can be improved upon past the ones we have now. Gyroscopic control might be something a bit different, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's something better.

Vice
May 20th, 2005, 5:56 AM
This'll probably sound really dumb, but I wouldn't mind a trackball being on a controller. The primary use, in my opinion, would be for moving the camera in 3rd person games. Cameras have always been a bitch to control in the past, and I think that a trackball would offer a lot of freedom if pulled off right. I'm not talking a huge trackball, but something significant enough that it'd fit in with the design of the controller. :dunno:

TapOut
May 20th, 2005, 6:39 AM
Again, the only problem I see with that is how they would do it without it interfering with me simply moving: going from sitting up to laying down to play the game or something. If they could get around that, then I guess it would be sort of cool.

Alf
May 20th, 2005, 7:19 AM
It's well worth pointing out these are rumours and speculation, but that they come from somebody who at least is a bit more trustworthy than the average web-guy

Naturally, I'm very cynical about how trustworthy this information is, and until E3 I'm not really going to give it much thought. The ideas are exicting, but at the same time, I find them impractical.

Thoughts? Personally, I'm not filled with joy, but if it could be pulled off well it could naturally be amazing. My fear is that we're at a Virtual Boy-esq point where the technology doesn't exist to pull this kind of stuff off yet.

I've actually seen a demo of something like this in action.

The dude was controlling a 3d helicopter and was moving it around, making it land and interact on a REAL table. He also did this lightsabre thing that was cool. The objects aren't actually projected 3d in front of you. You still have to view them through a headset. But it was cool.

The Great Dave
May 20th, 2005, 1:41 PM
I've seen that. I think it's amazing technology, but limited. I can't picture it working in a home console. And it'd be very expensive.

What about DS hookup? Will the revolution hook up to the DS? Or is Nintendo planning yet another hand-held by then? It seems to me that the DS is powerful enough and new enough to last through the Revolutions cycle, but hey, with Nintendo, who knows.

There will probably be another Gameboy. There won't be another DS. Nintendo seem pretty set on continuing the third-piller idea.

The Rogerer
May 20th, 2005, 3:11 PM
Even the awkward-looking N64 controller was comfy. You're right about that and the Gamecube... that's the thing to remember though - if something is designed to fit well into the hand, it can't afford to look sleek at the same time. That's my main problem with the Dualshock (apart from it's awful d-pad, dead zone in the analogue sticks and it's face buttons being too far apart) is that it's a little too sleek and small, it's trying to hang on to it's looks when it needs some love handles.

The Great Dave
May 20th, 2005, 4:45 PM
Question: All three consolemakers, yourself included, have unveiled their plans for the next console generation. How do you feel about Nintendo's prospects with Revolution at this point?

Iwata: In the first place, Sony and Microsoft are taking about the same approach for the future by making machines with powerful and sophisticated technology. Nintendo is taking a little bit different approach, and I think this is an interesting contrast.

Of course, we are applying advances in technology. But when you use those advances just to boost the processing power, the trade-off is that you increase power consumption, make the machine more expensive and make developing games more expensive. When I look at the balance of that trade-off -- what you gain and what you lose -- I don't think it's good. Nintendo is applying the benefits of advanced technology, but we're using it to make our machines more power-efficient, quieter and faster to start. And we're making a brand-new user interface. I think that way of thinking is the biggest difference.

Q: Which strategy will prevail?

Iwata: It is going to be the customers who decide. What Nintendo will do is simply try to do our best, believing that our strategy is right.

Q: Bill Gates said recently that he thinks Nintendo will be more of a niche player in the future, with Sony and Microsoft battling for the number one spot. What do you think of that characterization?

Iwata: Talking about the definition of the niche, or niche market, I really have the completely opposite opinion. The people the other companies are targeting are very limited to those who are high-tech oriented, and core game players. They cannot expand beyond that population. We are trying to capture the widest possible audience all around the world. (He cited the example of Nintendogs, a new virtual pet game for the Nintendo DS handheld machine that has taken off in Japan.) In other words, we are trying to capture the people who are even beyond the gaming population. So for that kind of company, we don't think the term "niche" is appropriate.

Q: What will games be like on Revolution?

Iwata: We really cannot forget about the existence of the avid game fans -- the fans of Nintendo games. I know that those Nintendo fans now are looking forward to playing the advanced versions of "Mario" and "Zelda" and "Metroid" and others, and of course we are going to respond to those requests from avid game fans.

At the same time, many people are looking forward to multiplayer games, and we are ready to provide more exciting opportunities by introducing them to (the company's new wireless online gaming service) Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection so that, with the Revolution, people in remote areas can play with each other as if they were playing with people in front of them.

Also, we really feel that we need to create something that is very unique and different from today's gaming -- something that can stimulate interest from those who are not playing today's games. ... What Nintendo is trying to do, therefore, is to create a new interface and new theme of gaming that can really address the needs of the current non-gamers. (That new interface has been the subject of a lot of speculation, although the company has said it's keeping the details secret for now.)

Q: When you talk about the new interface, do you mean something on the screen or in the hand?

Iwata: Unfortunately, I really cannot say anything right now, but at least I can tell you that you will use your hands. (Laughs.)

Q: Microsoft will be the first to market, releasing the Xbox 360 later this year. Revolution comes sometime next year. How does that affect the ultimate outcome in terms of market share?

Iwata: If the first entrant always wins the market, the Dreamcast must have won the race against the PS2, for example. (Sony's Playstation 2 came to market after Sega's Dreamcast and was extremely successful, while Dreamcast fizzled.) There are many precedents like that in the past. The first to market is not necessarily the winner in the race.

But we cannot afford to be too late. That's a very important point. Right now we are keeping many secrets, but by the end of this year, I believe we really need to express to the worldwide audience what the mysterious proposals we have are all about. Otherwise we will be in an extremely different position.

Q: You revealed a surprise this week -- the Game Boy Micro. (Iwata pulls out one of the 4-by-2-inch game players, along with a tiny cartridge that plays a music video on the color screen and audio through attached headphones.) What was the inspiration for this product?

Iwata: We tried different ways to see how small we could get it, to see what kind of design would be good. We experimented with horizontal and vertical screens and experimented with various screen sizes. As a result, we came up with some prototypes, but we wondered if we could get it even smaller. ... We thought we should make it the ultimate. So we made it with a metallic body, which is unusual for Nintendo, and we made it as small as possible.

Q: The general perception is that Nintendo appeals to a younger audience. Will you try to embrace that, expand upon it, or move away from it in the next console generation?

Iwata: First of all, I've never once been embarrassed that children have supported Nintendo. I'm proud of it. That's because children judge products based on instinct. Everyone wants to appeal to people's instincts, but it's not easy. That doesn't mean we're making products just for children. We believe that there's interactive entertainment that people in their 60s, 70s and 80s can enjoy, so we're doing various things.

New Iwata interview.

TapOut
May 20th, 2005, 7:02 PM
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/615/615030/e3-2005-high-res-revolution-images-20050517100455584.jpg

Are those Gamecube controller ports on the side of the machine? So we have the choice between wireless and GC? I guess... that's okay... hmm.

The Great Dave
May 21st, 2005, 7:52 AM
They're only there for Gamecube games though, I think. They're not going to work with Revolution games. The actual positioning of the ports looks inconvenient to me, cos you'd have cables pretty much falling all over the console. I'll only use Wavebirds.

TapOut
May 21st, 2005, 6:06 PM
Ok, that makes enough sense. That's good and bad though: the good is that I can still use my controllers, the bad is that I have to have a different controller for a different game, whereas the PS3 and X360 probably will have controllers that work with the current media as well as the previous.

Oh well, I guess seeing a new controller will be worth it.

The Great Dave
May 21st, 2005, 7:13 PM
So long as the Wavebirds work fine, it'll be OK for me. I guess the inclusion of the ports means that the Revolution controller isn't going to have enough buttons to cover Gamecube games, which is sure to turn a lot of people off, I'm sure.

The Great Dave
May 23rd, 2005, 12:09 PM
Alleged current "confirmed" titles from an unreliable, but more reliable than most, source:

Super Smash Bros. Revolution
*Projected Launch Title
*Little Mac, Captain Olimar, & Pit likely candidates to lead new character entries
*WiFi Enabled
*HAL Labs Development Team

Super Mario Bros. Revolution
*Projected Launch Title
*New EAD Kyoto Team or Tokyo Sunshine/Jungle Beat Team

Original IP Revolution
*Projected Launch Title
*Pikmin EAD Team?

Animal Crossing Revolution
*In Early Development
*Compatible with Animal Crossing DS
*WiFi Enabled
*Near Launch Release
*EAD - Animal Crossing Team

Metroid Prime 3
*In Early Development
*Possible Third Person?
*Expanded Multiplayer?
*Near Launch Release
*Prime 2 Echoes Team

Wario Ware Revolution
*Likely Release Candidate
*WiFi Enabled
*Near Launch Release

Golden Sun Revolution
*In Early Development
*Near Launch Release
*Golden Sun Development Team

The Legend of Zelda
*In Planning Stages
*Post-Launch Release
*Team Aonuma

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles Revolution
*In Early Development
*WiFi Enabled
*Near Launch Release
*Square-Enix

TapOut
May 23rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
A Golden Sun on a home console?

:headbang:

The Great Dave
May 23rd, 2005, 12:34 PM
It's been rumoured for awhile. I really wouldn't take it as gospal, but seeing as how the other games are pretty obvious (and in many cases confirmed), we may be lucky.

The Great Dave
May 31st, 2005, 6:51 PM
Behold; the right opinion:

May 31, 2005 - In a recent interview with the Mercury News, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata talked about the future of the game industry, the impending next-generation consoles, and where the Big N stands. While much of what the executive told the paper was a reiteration of what he spoke about at the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2005 last week in Los Angeles, some interesting specifics were revealed.

Asked about Revolution versus PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, Iwata once more stated that Nintendo's strategy was different. "The direction that we are heading is completely different from the direction the others are going. They are spending enormous energies on specifications so they can claim an edge in computer graphics. But the result so far is the media and game fans are still not quite satisfied with the resulting graphics," Iwata said. "I believe we need to refrain from announcing anything specific about performance right now. The graphics they can generate now are not to be trusted as the real thing. Once they can generate samples of actual machines and we can touch a real controller, that's when we may be able to give an assessment."

Many industry pundits felt that Nintendo failed to show off why its forthcoming console is so "revolutionary" at E3 2005. Iwata responded to these critics. "We don't think it's necessary or very important for anyone to list technology specifications. We have unique ideas about the controller. But it's too early. If we showed them, the others would be able to steal our concepts. We have been through so many nightmares, including announcing the 'rumble pack' controllers, which we announced first, but our rival introduced it before we did," he said.

Nintendo's console market share took a hit during the life cycle of GameCube. Iwata said that in order to avoid a repeat of the situation and further diminishment of its videogame pie, the company cannot be too late with the launch of Revolution. He also said that a steady flow of software -- a problem on GameCube -- is a must. "Immediately after the launch date of the hardware, we need to constantly provide the market with new games," he said. " I don't think quantity is important. Quality is important. We will introduce quality games, one after another."

Iwata once more promised that new Revolution information -- possibly even the mysterious controller -- would be released by the end of the year. "When it comes to Nintendo's console timing, we will talk at the end of the year about our plans for 2006. We need to make some more explanation about Revolution at that time. I think it is when you are able to show the actual machine and actual controller," he said.

The Nintendo president even took a jab at Sony, whose PlayStation 3 demos were confirmed to be rendered on unfinished hardware and not running in real-time. "Right now it's too early," Iwata said about the possibility of Nintendo releasing immediate information on Revolution. "Others are showing things that are speculation. They are working on an assumption that they can provide the same performance as what they show in a pre-rendered movie on a PC."

As it stands, Nintendo is on track to launch Revolution after both Microsoft and Sony debut Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 respectively. Still, Iwata doesn't seem worried. "As the numerous examples in the past have shown, with the GameCube, we don't believe the first to approach game developers should win automatically. More important is to have an accurate, down-to-earth proposal about what we want them to do and what the machine will do," he said. "We will not be too late in doing so. When we can show them a very complete proposal, we are certain we can win over developers."

TapOut
May 31st, 2005, 7:36 PM
No offense, but they say things of that nature about every console all the time before they are released.

The Great Dave
June 1st, 2005, 11:00 AM
True. But then, Iwata has never been in charge for a home console launch before. I actually think he's probably going to try and get good support for Revolution and make sacrifices. The guy seems much more willing to work with other companies than Yamauchi ever was. Yamauchi would rather chop of his dick than do a company like Square Enix favours. And thus, the N64 was born.

Stan Hibbert
June 5th, 2005, 5:55 AM
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but Nintendo have confirmed that all of their own games will be free to download onto the Revolution. Hopefully third-parties will give their blessing to free downloads as well.

TapOut
June 5th, 2005, 2:11 PM
You're shitting me. Are you telling me I'll be able to download ANY Nintendo franchised game like the original SNES Donkey Kong or Super Mario World for free?

Surely that's costly for the company. But hey, I'm all for it.

Pablo Diablo
June 5th, 2005, 2:53 PM
Now that news about free downloads of all Nintendo's old own produced games is quite godly. Sounds like a wonderful idea. Might sway my opinion a bit.

Kunt 4 Life
June 5th, 2005, 6:03 PM
You're shitting me. Are you telling me I'll be able to download ANY Nintendo franchised game like the original SNES Donkey Kong or Super Mario World for free?

Surely that's costly for the company. But hey, I'm all for it.
why would it be costly for the company? they dont make anyt money from old nes and snes games. only second hand shops do.

The_Mike
June 5th, 2005, 6:17 PM
Guys, we're all missing the point here. Can you imagine DUCK HUNT with a modern bigass plasma TV? :)

TapOut
June 5th, 2005, 6:29 PM
why would it be costly for the company? they dont make anyt money from old nes and snes games. only second hand shops do.

I thought it cost money to store libraries of information like that on servers and whatnot. And yeah, they may not be making much money now, but don't you think if they charged something like $2.99 per game to download, they could make a decent chunk of change? If they aren't losing money, they'll be missing out on money.

Like I said, either way, I don't care if it's free for me.

Dan The Man
June 5th, 2005, 6:52 PM
Getting people to buy the Revolution who otherwise wouldn't > $2.99 a game.

Though I question why this has come up again... didn't we do this already?

The_Mike
June 5th, 2005, 7:11 PM
I think it came up again because no-one had mentioned the games would actually be free. At least the Nintendo ones.

Sounds like a great idea to me, but would it include N64 and even GC titles? And while a bit of Mario Kart or (yay) Duck Hunt is a great wee coffee-break filler, I find it hard to imagine games like Final Fantasy VI, which was fairly recently rereleased on PSOne, being offered up as a freebie. It just seems... strange. Free games are supposed to be short and snappy, aren't they?

Dan The Man
June 5th, 2005, 7:22 PM
I wasn't aware Squaresoft was just Nintendo in disguise.

The_Mike
June 5th, 2005, 7:45 PM
There are talks of third parties letting Nintendo put up their old games for download too. It has been discussed here many times. If you're going to be a smartarse, pick on me for something I actually get wrong. Silly.

Dan The Man
June 5th, 2005, 8:17 PM
The notion of third-party games being offered, let alone being free of charge, is pure speculation. To say you "find it hard to imagine" something that is in itself purely imaginary is pretty idiotic. Let's discuss whether it makes sense for PS2 games to be offered as a free download, or perhaps whether it makes sense to hook up directly to our brains and download our memories into a game. All equally speculative at this point in time.

The Great Dave
June 5th, 2005, 8:43 PM
I think that it's possible third parties will set up there own ways of delivering game downloads. Stuff like offering you downloads of old games when you buy new games, say a few NES or SNES games per one current gen game. A company like Capcom or Square could use that insentive quite well. I'd pay for one of the modern shitty Megaman games if it meant I could download the first 5 on the NES for free.

But there's little reason for Capcom or whoever to just say "Hey, buy Revolution and download our old games!". Unless Nintendo pay them for that honour. And Nintendo would never do that. I could definatly see third party games being available for download at a fee. Nintendo have been said to be in talks with companies about it.

All this said, I would be very, very surprised if the Nintendo games turn out to be free. I''ve read no official quote that says they will be, and no major site reporting it. And it's just so un-Nintendo. The bottom line for Nintendo is always profit. While I can see how you could use free games to sell consoles, I don't think Nintendo would do it. Maybe offering the occasional old game for free, but they'd never just let people download whatever old game they want.

But hey, maybe Nintendo are willing to change. They're gonna to make online gaming free, so they're losing a bit of money there.

Some good news:

In the latest Famitsu the magazine Revealed that there are 221 published titles for NES/SNES/N64 via the download service feature available through the Revolution, not including past third party games.

Which is amazing.

The_Mike
June 5th, 2005, 8:56 PM
The notion of third-party games being offered, let alone being free of charge, is pure speculation. To say you "find it hard to imagine" something that is in itself purely imaginary is pretty idiotic. Let's discuss whether it makes sense for PS2 games to be offered as a free download, or perhaps whether it makes sense to hook up directly to our brains and download our memories into a game. All equally speculative at this point in time.

Welcome to a discussion forum, where people like to speculate about what may or may not be going on with their topic of choice.

Are you in a bad mood? Such aggrivation seems out of proportion for me theorising along with the rest of them.

EDIT: Dave, what site did you find that quote from? I know it's quoting a magazine itself but just out of curiosity.

Dan The Man
June 5th, 2005, 9:16 PM
I can't imagine Nintendo closing down and reforming under the banner Nazi Super Group From Mars with the intention of distributing necrophiliac child pornography via passenger pidgeon.

Boy, I love this new definition of a discussion forum which completely disregards sense and logic.

The Great Dave
June 5th, 2005, 9:19 PM
EDIT: Dave, what site did you find that quote from? I know it's quoting a magazine itself but just out of curiosity.

From the IGN Gamecube boards, which linked to the Nintendo.com ones. This thread (http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=revolution&message.id=93934) specifically.

TapOut
June 5th, 2005, 10:03 PM
At any rate, if it's free, great. Just more incentive for people to get the Revolution.

I just hope this isn't the "revolutionary" part of The Revolution. It's a cool side feature or extra feature, but I hope it's not THE selling point, but just one of them.

Chad
June 6th, 2005, 1:53 AM
I haven't been a fan of Nintendo for awhile now, because no games have appealed to me. With it offering old Nintendo games, I have given it a thought to buy, plus it being online, which is alot of fun.

Cubed-Sphere
June 6th, 2005, 4:05 AM
At any rate, if it's free, great. Just more incentive for people to get the Revolution.

I just hope this isn't the "revolutionary" part of The Revolution. It's a cool side feature or extra feature, but I hope it's not THE selling point, but just one of them.
The main "selling point" is actually gunna be the pheromones transmitted from the console that gets everyone high in a 10 ft. radius. That's what I heard. Supposedly this will be the "gaming enhanced" feature the big N has been whispering about.... sounds weird to me, but whatever.

falconarrow
June 6th, 2005, 2:28 PM
I haven't been a fan of Nintendo for awhile now, because no games have appealed to me. With it offering old Nintendo games, I have given it a thought to buy, plus it being online, which is alot of fun.

Not even Metroid Prime or Mario Party?

Stan Hibbert
June 6th, 2005, 2:57 PM
Metroid Prime was the biggest let-down in years for me. I ignored the first game because I'd never been a fan of (or played) any Metroid games before. But when MP2 came along I let the hype machine reel me in and I got it for Christmas. Since then I've played about an hour's worth. It's just so dull. :\

The Great Dave
June 6th, 2005, 6:55 PM
The 2D Metroid games are a million billion times better than the Prime series for me. Prime is one of the few FPS (kinda) series games I've enjoyed, but it's just not the same.

The latest issue of Famitsu Magazine reports that Nintendo is in development with a Revolution-bound sequel to the Donkey Kong franchise. The publication offers no details on the next-generation title.

The original Donkey Kong released for the arcades in the early '80s and several console-based sequels followed. The latest edition to the series, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, launched for GameCube last year. The title utilized a set of DK Bongos, which enabled players to control Donkey Kong through lush, platform-style, quasi-2D worlds.
Nintendo appears to be drawing on the majority of its big licenses to lure in next-generation gamers. Lending credibility to its Kong news, Famitsu also reports that new versions of Super Smash Bros., Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles are in development for Revolution, all of which were confirmed by Nintendo at E3 2005 a few weeks ago.

Yay!

The Great Dave
June 6th, 2005, 8:03 PM
The games supposidly available on Revolution at-launch. Unconfirmed, but matches with the previous reports:

NES
1. 10-Yard Fight
2. Anticipation
3. Balloon Fight
4. Barker Bill's Trick Shooting
5. Baseball
6. Clu Clu Land
7. Dance Aerobics (may require dance pad, I halfway wanted to put this in questioned)
8. Devil World
9. Doki Doki Panic
10. Donkey Kong
11. Donkey Kong 3
12. Donkey Kong Classics
13. Donkey Kong Jr.
14. Donkey Kong Jr. Math
15. Dr. Mario
16. Dragon Warrior
17. Duck Hunt
18. Excitebike
19. Famicom Wars
20. Final Fantasy
21. Fire Emblem Gaiden
22. Fire Emblem: Ankokuryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi
23. Flintstones: The Rescue of Dino and Hoppy
24. Golf
25. Gum Shoe
26. Gyromite
27. Hogan's Alley
28. Ice Climber
29. Ice Hockey
30. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Taito)
31. Kid Icarus
32. Kirby's Adventure
33. Kung Fu
34. Mach Rider
35. Mario Bros.
36. Mario Time Machine
37. Mario is Missing!
38. Mario:Fun with Letters
39. Mario:Fun with Numbers
40. Metroid
41. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
42. Mother (Earthbound)
43. NES Open Golf
44. Nintendo World Cup
45. Nuts & Milk
46. Pin-Bot
47. Pinball
48. Play Action Football
49. Popeye
50. Pro Wrestling
51. Punch-Out!!
52. R.C. Pro-Am
53. Rad Racer
54. Rad Racer 2
55. Short Order/Eggsplode
56. Slalom
57. Snake Rattle & Roll
58. Soccer
59. Stack Up
60. Star Tropics
61. Super Mario Bros.
62. Super Mario Bros. 2
63. Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels
64. Super Mario Bros. 3
65. Super Spike V'Ball/World Cup Soccer
66. Super Team Games
67. Tennis
68. Tetris
69. Tetris 2
70. The Legend of Zelda
71. To The Earth
72. Track meet
73. Urban Champion
74. Volleyball
75. Wario's Woods
76. Wild Gunman
77. World Class Track Meet
78. World Cup Soccer
79. Wrecking Crew
80. Yoshi (Mario & Yoshi)
81. Yoshi's Cookie
82. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
83. Zoda's Revenge: Star Tropics II

Super NES

84. Derby Stallion 98 (NP)
85. Donkey Kong Country
86. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest
87. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
88. EarthBound
89. F-Zero
90. FX Fighter
91. Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo
92. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu
93. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
94. Hyper V-Ball
95. Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball
96. Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run
97. Killer Instinct
98. Kirby Super Star
99. Kirby's Avalanche
100. Kirby's Dream Course
101. Kirby's Dream Land 3
102. Kirby's Ghost Trap
103. Legend (some say the movie inspired Zelda but the timing is off, sorry im a history buff)
104. Mario Paint
105. Mario and Wario
106. Mario's Early Years: Preschool Fun
107. Mario's Super Picross
108. Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge
109. NCAA Basketball
110. NHL Stanley Cup
111. Panel de Pon
112. Picross NP Vol. 8
113. PilotWings
114. Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing
115. Sound Fantasy
116. Star Fox
117. Stunt Race FX
118. Super Famicom Wars
119. Super Mario Kart
120. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
121. Super Mario World
122. Super Metroid
123. Super Punch-Out!!
124. Super Scope 6
125. Super Soccer
126. Super Soccer 2
127. Super Tennis
128. Tetris & Dr. Mario
129. Tetris Attack
130. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
131. Tinstar
132. Uniracers (Unirally, the game sucked bad you raced unicycles with no rider)
133. Winter Gold (FX Skiing)
134. World League Baseball
135. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 2
136. Yoshi's Safari

Nintendo 64
137. 1080° Snowboarding (a personal fave)
138. Animal Forest (Animal Crossing for you Americans)
139. Banjo-Kazooie
140. Banjo-Tooie
141. Blast Corps
142. Bomberman 64
143. Bomberman Hero
144. Buggie Boogie
145. Cabbage
146. Catroots
147. Climber
148. Command & Conquer
149. Creator
150. Cruis'n USA
151. Cruis'n World
152. Cu-On-Pa
153. Custom Robo
154. Custom Robo V2
155. DD Sequencer
156. Dezaemon DD
157. Diddy Kong Racing (w00t)
158. Donkey Kong 64
159. Doubutsu Banchou
160. Dr. Mario 64
161. Echo-Delta
162. Emperor of the Jungle
163. Excitebike 64
164. F-Zero X
165. Gendai Dai-Senryaku: Ultimate War
166. GoldenEye 007
167. Hey You, Pikachu!
168. Jack and the Beanstalk
169. Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest
170. Killer Instinct Gold
171. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
172. Kirby's Air Ride
173. Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside
174. Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey Jr
175. Mario Golf
176. Mario Kart 64
177. Mario Party
178. Mario Party 2
179. Mario Party 3
180. Mario Tennis 64
181. Mickey's Speedway USA
182. Mini Racers
183. Mischief Makers
184. Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 2
185. NBA Courtside 2: Featuring Kobe Bryant
186. Paper Mario
187. Perfect Dark
188. Pilotwings 64
189. Pokemon Puzzle League
190. Pokemon Snap
191. Pokemon Stadium
192. Pokemon Stadium 2
193. Pokemon Stadium: Gold, Silver, Crystal Version
194. Ridge Racer 64
195. Riqa
196. Shigesato Itoi's No. 1 Bass Fishing
197. Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Earth
198. Star Fox 64
199. Star Wars Episode I: Racer
200. Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
201. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
202. StarCraft 64
203. Super Mario 64
204. Super Smash Bros.
205. Tetrisphere
206. The Legend of Zelda DD (Ura Zelda) (Master Quest in America)
207. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
208. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
209. The New Tetris
210. Waialae Country Club: True Golf Classics
211. Wall Street DD
212. Wave Race 64
213. Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey
214. Yoshi's Story

Satteleview games
215. BS F-Zero 2 Grand Prix
216. BS Special Tee Shot
217. BS Zelda

64 DD games
218. SimCity 64
219. F-Zero X Expansion Kit
220. Kyojin no Doshin 1 (Doshin the Giant)
221. Mario Artist: Communication Kit,Paint Studio,Polygon Studio, Sound Studio, Talent Studio

Dan The Man
June 6th, 2005, 8:17 PM
You guys can say what you want about your Zeldas and Marios... #88 is enough on its own to make me give the system a hard look, regardless of everything else...

Though I'll admit, as someone who passed on the 64 (only to play as long as any of my friends would allow me to come over), those are some major selling points in their own right.

Bottom line: though I stand by my earlier comments, it's hard not to get nostalgic when you see the names...

The Great Dave
June 6th, 2005, 8:25 PM
The F-Zero X Expansion Kit is something I've wanted for a good...probably 7 years now, ever since I first read about it. And there's loads of classics I've missed out on. I never owned Mario RPG. Or Pilotwings 64. Or Banjo Tooie. These are major selling points for me. Sure, I could download them for the PC, but it's not the same as sitting in front of a TV.

TapOut
June 6th, 2005, 8:47 PM
Even though I said I hope that downloadable games isn't the "Revolutionary" part of the Revolution, I would still buy the sytem if even half of those listed games are true. Hell, I'd buy a revolution just to play Donk Kong Country 1,2, and 3

Pablo Diablo
June 6th, 2005, 9:17 PM
People if #41 is Mike Tyson's Punch Out and not just Punch Out. That's the true money maker.

The Great Dave
June 7th, 2005, 3:09 AM
Unfortunatly, it won't be Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Unless they fancy paying Tyson money to put a pixelated version of himself in the game.

Stan Hibbert
June 7th, 2005, 7:01 AM
I'm not anticipating the actual games as such. More the fact that I'm going to have one, single console with all those classics packaged in with it, ready for me to play at any time.

It's going to be great playing the old NES-version SMB games again. :yes:

The Great Dave
June 7th, 2005, 7:50 AM
I see it as an oppertunity to play many games I missed. Due to evil, evil parenting, I never owned a SNES. I went straight from NES to N64. So there's a lot of classics I've missed out on. Sure, I've played your Mario Worlds and your Zeldas, but not your Metroids and your Earthbounds and Star Fox.

Translation; "Though the baseless rumor flows in the internet that the virtual console download service is free,
it is not scheduled to deliver it in free. maybe download it (old games) as a privilege when consumers buy a new game,
maybe download it by consistent of the campaign at limited time, variety methods will be used.
Using the properties in the past, I want to take shape that the profit is paid to Nintendo to the end."

Worst translation ever, but I told you it wouldn't be free. Nintendo = profit after all. So long as they keep the prices reasonable, I'll live with it.

The Great Dave
June 7th, 2005, 1:22 PM
Nintendo Discusses Revolution and WiFi
More on game downloads and a new form of networking.
by Anoop Gantayat

June 7, 2005 - Nintendo brought Revolution to the Japanese press for the first time on the morning of the 7th, a few weeks following the system's debut at last month's E3. During the press conference, president Satoru Iwata leaked a few exciting details on what we can look forward to with the system, and also touched upon Nintendo's other plans.

Iwata highlighted a few features of the Revolution. First off, the system is thin, small and doesn't get in the way. It's also quiet and uses little power. Players will be able to get their hands on a controller that's wireless and isn't scary to touch (more hints on the controller, below!).

Regarding the system's backwards compatibility features, Iwata refered to this part of the Revolution as a "Virtual Console." From a technical standpoint, all NES, Super NES and N64 games can work with the system, although it's unclear if every game in Nintendo's tremendous back catalogue will be available.

There's some disappointing news for those expecting these classics to be available for free. Nintendo is planning on pay downloads as being the standard for this download system. There will be many types of services, though, including limited time free downloads. One possibility mentioned by Iwata is free downloads as bonuses for buying new games.

Backwards compatibility for GameCube goes beyond just the software. You'll be able to use all controllers (Wave Bird included), memory cards, the Mario Party microphone, the Dance Dance dance pad and even the Donkey Konga konga controller.

The downloads will, as previously announced, be stored in flash memory. You'll be able to store games in the 512 megabytes built into the system, but should this fill up, you can transfer your downloads to an SD memory card and use your computer to manage the files. Iwata didn't elaborate, but did state that copy protection is in place (so don't expect to simply send downloaded game copies to your friends by e-mail).

Nintendo's use of flash memory rather than a hard disk was very much intentional. The company believes that kids as young as five years old will use the Revolution and could damage a built-in hard disk. Additionally, Iwata points to longevity, reliability and cost as being part of the decision to go with flash.

The internal flash memory is being used for a few areas besides the download of game classics. You'll be able to save games to the flash area, update the Revolution's firmware (adding new features along the way, presumably) and download game demos! That's right, Revolution game demos, downloaded right to your Revolution hardware.

Aside from general specifications, three main areas of the system have yet to be revealed: the shape and functionality of the controller, the price and release date and the software lineup. Nintendo has held back on these areas for competitive reasons, but all three will be revealed before the end of the year.

The controller in particular seems to be getting quite a bit of attention, with Nintendo software master Shigeru Miyamoto commenting at the press conference that the company is making a big investment in creating the device. Iwata added, "I think you will be surprised by the Revolution's controller."

Moving away from Revolution (sorry... that's all we have for you!), Iwata spoke a bit about Nintendo's non-console plans. The company's WiFi internet service is coming along, with plans still in place to establish at least 1,000 free access points throughout Japan that will allow DS users to play Online games. In Japan, the company has two Online compatible titles planned for the end of 2005, Mario Kart DS and Animal Forest. These two titles, as well as all Nintendo Online games will have no additional fees for Online play. Twenty-five developers have signed on to support Nintendo's new Online service, although it's unclear if they will all jump on the free service bandwagon.

Almost as interesting is the new type of communication being planned for Nintendogs. Nintendo's dog simulation is already out in Japan and is one of the hottest games around (outside of Nintendo's own Otona no DS Training game). Starting 6/21, Nintendo will begin opening up special areas in train stations and shops where Nintendogs owners will be able to walk around with their DS flaps closed and have their Nintendogs cartridges communicate with one another automatically, trading dog data.

Iwata also pointed to a few sales trends for recent NDS titles. Nintendogs, the DS's biggest hit since launch, has sold over 40% of its copies to female players -- almost double what normal DS games sell. Meanwhile, the adult-oriented Otona no DS Training has sold well with older gamers, and is also performing better than usual amongst ladies. Nintendo, incidentally, refers to both titles as being part of its "Touch Generations" series of games that bring new players to videogames. The series continues later this month with two more titles.

The Revolution, Iwata revealed at the press conference, will actually feature simple titles like Otona no DS Training. But don't worry -- you'll also get big, epic titles like Zelda.

Kunt 4 Life
June 7th, 2005, 3:30 PM
You guys can say what you want about your Zeldas and Marios... #88 is enough on its own to make me give the system a hard look, regardless of everything else...

Earthbound fucking ruled. ITs a shame theres no plans to release another version of it on one of the newer systems (be it gamecube or revolution).

The Great Dave
June 7th, 2005, 3:57 PM
Mother 3 (Or Earthbound 2) was "confirmed" a long time ago to be coming soon for GBA, in a Japanese TV advert for the Mother 1 + 2 comperlation cart. Since then, there's been nothing. At all. Which is silly, really, because a Mother sequel is always high on the most wanted list in Famitsu magazine.

Y2J2005_20
June 29th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Hows this for an idea? :chin:

For the Nintendo Revoultions controller since we havent heard much yet it wouldnt suprise me if...

With all of this talk of Nintendo having infinite backwards capability and downloadable games with basically every game in Nintendos libary available on the Revolution. What if the controller itself became sort the next Game Boy, now, now hear me out...

Think about this You would have a wireless controller, same shape as a controller and such but with a screen inbuilt somewhere on it (be it a flip screen or whatever) anyways you could play updated games of all Nintendos catalog of games on it anywhere, anytime that you wanted. That also includes Revolution Games and Game Boy Games and you may save these game to the controller. Because Nintendo have been using Wi-Fi and such so much lately this wouldnt suprise me if they shocked everyone, relesed the Revoultion and GBA2 as one package... :headbang:

I for one think that this would sell like hotcakes, I mean they have already said they could update every old Nintendo game with improved graphics thats enough reason for me to buy one...

Ah well this is just one of many unanswered questions that us Nintendo fans have right now, only time will tell...

:wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle:

T.I (uh oh)
June 29th, 2005, 10:48 AM
^^^^

Couldn't you already do this with the current GBA and an E-reader??

And besides, I don't want to play the old-school games on some pissy little screen, thats inbuilt to my controller, I want to play it on my TV screen where it belongs.

Size does matter people.

Y2J2005_20
June 30th, 2005, 4:08 AM
what i meant was you could play all of them on the tv as well and playing it away from the tv on the controller EVEN revolution games

T.I (uh oh)
June 30th, 2005, 6:01 AM
Not happening then.

That would be far to expensive to produce. And considering that most of the hype surrounding Revolutions controller deals with gyroscopic technology, it would be very irritating trying to concentrate on a constantly moving and tilting screen.

Y2J2005_20
July 1st, 2005, 6:19 AM
well i thought it was a good idea...
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dan The Man
August 21st, 2005, 8:38 PM
For once, Kotaku takes the conservative view on something, letting Gizmodo do the editorializing and hypothesizing...

I know, I know, Amazon isn’t exactly a bastion of reliable information when it comes to pre-order sales. Keeping that in mind, Amazon France has started taking pre-orders for the Nintendo Revolution for 299.99 Euros with a June 15, 2006 release date. I feel confident this isn’t dead on, but I can’t imagine they just through a dart at the board to get the price and date. Call it an educated guess, but the information has to be coming from somewhere.

Amazon.com France has slipped a page with the European release date and price for Nintendo’s monolithic new game console, the Revolution. The release date is listed as June 15, 2006. The total, after conversion, would be about $365. European console prices tend to be a bit higher than here in the U.S., but this still sounds like a fool’s ransom given the Xbox 360’s $299-$399 pricetag. (Remember that Nintendo says its console will be less technologically advanced and thus cheaper than the Xbox 360 or PS3). Based on the GameCube’s 2001 launch cycle—it arrived in Europe six months after it debuted in N.A.—this leak gives credence to rumors that the Revolution could see a surprise 2005 launch.

Either that, or Nintendo is doing some very cheeky marketing.

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/videogames/B0009PRCNE/pictures/171-3486966-1151415

SomeDude
August 21st, 2005, 9:04 PM
Interesting, but if the Revolution really was going to come out and Nintendo didn't want anyone to know, they'd have to do a hell of a job to cover it up.

The Great Dave
August 21st, 2005, 11:21 PM
Of course it's not going to cost anywhere near $365. And with no software at all shown, they're not gonna release it this year either. Unless they think it's a good idea to just throw the thing out with no marketing or hype.

And can a mod change this thread title? Just to Nintendo Revolution, or Revolution speculation or something. Seeing as the 3D gaming thing is clearly a long shot ;)

T.I (uh oh)
September 15th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Behold the Revolution controller:

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651275/hands-on-the-revolution-controller-20050915054945878.jpg

and

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651275/hands-on-the-revolution-controller-20050915054930644.jpg

This thing will most certainly revolutionise gaming! Awesome. Just awesome.

Cubed-Sphere
September 15th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Okay, Nintendo's great and all, but what the hell is that?

It's a normal controller... split in two. Not that it looks "uncomfortable", per se, but seriously, what the hell is that?!

Doesn't look revolutionary to me, just Nintendo trying to be off-the-wall and different, which most the time, is a good thing. However, this is just so weird that it makes me think the big N did this just to be different and didn't really have a rationale behind the concept for that controller. Either way I still look forward to the Revolution and will likely buy one since it should be around $200 (according to projections).

The Great Dave
September 15th, 2005, 11:31 PM
It isn't a normal controller. It detects 3D movement.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651224p1.html

I am excited. Think of it as a lightsaber.

GeezaTap
September 15th, 2005, 11:36 PM
If you truly can turn the power on/off by the controller, then it's the best pad ever regardless of what else it does.

If you can turn the tv off with the remote, then it's just a hassle to turn the console off at the base.

Yes i know i'm going to die due to lack of physical activity.

Vice
September 16th, 2005, 12:02 AM
It's.. unique, to say the least.

Not what I was expecting. At first I was just like "eh..", but after reading that IGN article I've warmed up to the potential a bit. The only real problem I see is sitting at an awkward angle or not having perfect aim or something similar...

We'll see. I'm definitely willing to give it a chance.

SomeDude
September 16th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Looks awesome and all, but Nintendo can say "goodbye" to 3rd party support with that controller.

Croc
September 16th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I don't like it being split in two. It seems like it would be something that would take a lot of getting used to.

T.I (uh oh)
September 16th, 2005, 12:09 AM
I have no doubt that Nintendo will make a goer off this.

The biggest question however, is how long until Sony and Microsoft announce gyro controllers for their upcoming consoles??

Vice
September 16th, 2005, 12:16 AM
This is going to make or break Revolution. It'll either be the best thing that ever happened to videogames, or it'll just be shit.

Maybe they'll release an optional standard controller or let you use a wavebird if you don't want to use their controller, and if it's somehow compatible with the game format? :happysad:

T.I (uh oh)
September 16th, 2005, 12:22 AM
apparently it will be able to slip into a traditional gaming shell for some games. plus they always have the gamecube slots.

Nitram
September 16th, 2005, 1:51 AM
At first I was suprised, but then I saw this video and I understood everything :)

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/09/16/443527.html

Stan Hibbert
September 16th, 2005, 3:33 AM
My worst fears confirmed.

Like I said, gyroscopics just does not interest me in the slightest. I don't want to wave the controller around in my room, and certainly not when I've got friends present. Put simply, I'd look like a dick. :blah:

Sorry, Nintendo. I love your work, really, I do. But for the first time ever I'm just a tiny bit skeptical.

RebornMoo
September 16th, 2005, 4:06 AM
I have enough trouble playing multiplayer games with my brother trying to smack the controller out of my hand...now I get to have him smacking me in the head with this fucking thing. Not to mention you just look retarded using it...the last thing I need is for someone to walk in the room and think i'm violently masturbating.

Dodgy Browne
September 16th, 2005, 8:59 AM
Well you can say what you want, fact is: Nintendo definetely suprises everybody with that controller. I don't know if I will like it or not. The idea is cool tough.
I'm not too bothered about swinging around with my controllers if it enhances my gaming experience. I surely don't care what other people think when I'm playing it, ha!

Once again it is Nintendo that comes with a brave new concept! Sony will never have the balls to do something like this.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
September 16th, 2005, 9:36 AM
I would never EVER buy something with a controller that looks like that, regardless of what games are on the system. It looks like someone took a tv remote and attatched a moveable shower head to the end of it.

The Great Dave
September 16th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I would never EVER buy something with a controller that looks like that, regardless of what games are on the system. It looks like someone took a tv remote and attatched a moveable shower head to the end of it.

And the PS3 controller looks like a retarded boomerang. Doesn't really matter. Fact is, if the functionality is impressive, why should it matter?

Besides, it looks pretty stylish to me. And the analogue stick won't always be connected.

I'm very excited about this controller. I have some worries that need to be addressed, like how it will fit in with some genres. But come on...I'll shoot an arrow in Zelda by aiming the controller at the TV. That's awesome.

King101
September 16th, 2005, 10:49 AM
This conroller is definitely interesting - it seems absolutely perfect for some genres (FPS, Sims etc), but it could be a mess with some other genres (fighting games) - of course Nintendo obviosuly know this and have the new SSB as a launch title, which will show us exactly what it can do.

People who are saying "I dont want to sit there waving my arms around like a dick" shouldn't worry - the video of it in use is obviously exaggeratted to make it look "fun" - IGN and 1up both said that the controller is really sensitive and the slightest flick of the wrist was enough to move the cursor (or what ever the game uses) - so you can still look cool in front of your friends sat there barely moving whilst you play. I've always been the type of person who tilts the controller to the side as I was going round corners in Mario Kart anyway, so this could be pretty good in my eyes.

It's a fucking risk - and will make ports of multiplatform games a bitch, but it may just change gaming entirely, or it may crash and burn. Either way its goint to be interesting.

The Great Dave
September 16th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Why would anybody want every console to be the same anyway? If the PS3 and XBox 2 are using the same pads they were using years ago, what's the point in Nintendo doing it? You have options. If this doesn't become a standard soon anyway, I'll be very surprised. Current controllers had gone as far as they could. We only hold them with two hands cos Nintendo told us to.

Nitram
September 16th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I don't know why people worry about games that won't be fit for this controller. All you have to do is plug in your wavebird and use it for those.

Stan Hibbert
September 16th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I don't know why people worry about games that won't be fit for this controller. All you have to do is plug in your wavebird and use it for those.

For NES/SNES/N64/GC games, yeah. Not Revolution ones. What's the point in having a unique controller if not every game has to use it?

Dave: there's nothing wrong with standard control pads though. There's not always a "next step" forward to be taken. I don't so much view this pad as a 'revolution' as I do an alternative.

RV3
September 16th, 2005, 12:38 PM
PS2 and XBox perfected controllers. This is just, well, goofy.

I'll have to dupe one of my friends into buying this first, cause there is no way I'm buying a Revolution and that thing without trying it out first.

It'll probably be the same friend we made buy a GC so we could play Mario Party and Smash brothers.

I wonder what third party software is going to do with this, they generally arent fans of making 2 very different versions, which it would seem would be required here.

I still need to wrap my head around this, maybe they will let me use a wavebird on every rev game. That would be nice.

Dave M
September 16th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I have no doubt that Nintendo will make a goer off this.

The biggest question however, is how long until Sony and Microsoft announce gyro controllers for their upcoming consoles??
Remember the last gyro device that Nintendo said would revolutionize gaming?

http://www.retrones.com/Perifericos/ROB/rob.jpg

Stan Hibbert
September 16th, 2005, 1:08 PM
maybe they will let me use a wavebird on every rev game. That would be nice.

Like I already said, what the hell would be the point in that? Nintendo needn't have bothered designing the thing if you had a choice whether you wanted to use it or not.

How the fuck's Smash Brothers going to work on this anyway. :wtf:

The Rogerer
September 16th, 2005, 2:13 PM
Even if it;s shit, I welcome it. This is right back to the old ddays. Look at all the cool kids laughing at how gay it looks - this is the way gaming was meant to be... getting laughed at.

How the fuck's Smash Brothers going to work on this anyway. :wtf:It'll work.

Dan The Man
September 16th, 2005, 2:30 PM
I see it like this:

For games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and all the zany formerly-Japan-only games, it really will be something 'revolutionary.' Nintendo is going to do things we can't fathom right now, and later won't be able to fathom ever being without, with its big franchises.

And everything else will either be a nice try (read: failure) or will use a more standard controller.

As has been said before, Nintendo isn't trying to compete with Sony and Microsoft in the old business sense. And this rams that home by saying that they're not trying to compete even in the gaming sense. Whereas Gamecube was basically an inferior system to the Sony/Microsoft offerings, Revolution is shaping up to be in a class by itself. Whereas you could dismiss the Gamecube and not miss out on anything but the latest iteration of Mario/Zelda/Metroid, great games to be sure but not necessarily anything that couldn't be done on your own system sans license, if you dismiss Revolution, you miss out on an experience that simply cannot be recreated anywhere else.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but that's incredibly intriguing to me. I'm overwhelmingly more interested (and thus more likely to buy) now than I was before. Not because I think it will be better than the PS3, not because I want it more than the PS3, but because it is shaping up to offer something different enough to warrant both.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
September 16th, 2005, 2:55 PM
And the PS3 controller looks like a retarded boomerang. Doesn't really matter. Fact is, if the functionality is impressive, why should it matter?

Besides, it looks pretty stylish to me. And the analogue stick won't always be connected.

I'm very excited about this controller. I have some worries that need to be addressed, like how it will fit in with some genres. But come on...I'll shoot an arrow in Zelda by aiming the controller at the TV. That's awesome.
hahahahahaaha!
oh god. yeah, that sure looks stylish.
http://nintendowins.ytmnd.com/

Dan The Man
September 16th, 2005, 3:06 PM
That'd make a pretty sweet Wario Ware minigame, actually.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
September 16th, 2005, 3:26 PM
http://jokerrevolution.ytmnd.com/

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
September 16th, 2005, 3:26 PM
http://revolutionnoob.ytmnd.com/

Cubed-Sphere
September 16th, 2005, 3:51 PM
Well, both IGN and Gamespot said the device is very comfortable to hold and work, regardless of the look.

As I said, I just wanna see what they can do with this controller, if it makes kick-ass games, I don't care what the controller is like.

That being said, in my opinion, so far, the XBox 360 still looks like my system of choice for great gaming in the next generation, while the Revolution will be a fun, weird alternative. The PS3 doesn't interest me at all, it's just like the XBox 360, and since I like Microsoft and wish death on Sony, my decision between the two is easy. I made a pact w/ myself that I wouldn't buy all three systems this next generation, and only 2, so Nintendo and Microsoft got my money.

Excel
September 16th, 2005, 4:14 PM
Well at first I can see third party support being minimal, which will hurt them. But probably once developers see the benefits (whatever they are) they will adopt it more.

The problem is third party games being ported to the system. It seems likely that very few, if any, games for the 360 and the PS3 will port correctly or easily over to the revolution. That means that third party games for revolution will be exclusive to it, and third party games for the other two exclusive to them

If youre a third party developer, would you choose to make a game that can be released on two systems or just one?

There will be even fewer games for the revolution that there was for the GC, and lets face it, the gamecube rack was always the smallest in the game stores.

Cubed-Sphere
September 16th, 2005, 7:06 PM
Well at first I can see third party support being minimal, which will hurt them. But probably once developers see the benefits (whatever they are) they will adopt it more.

The problem is third party games being ported to the system. It seems likely that very few, if any, games for the 360 and the PS3 will port correctly or easily over to the revolution. That means that third party games for revolution will be exclusive to it, and third party games for the other two exclusive to them

If youre a third party developer, would you choose to make a game that can be released on two systems or just one?

There will be even fewer games for the revolution that there was for the GC, and lets face it, the gamecube rack was always the smallest in the game stores.
Yea, I feel that argument, but the Gamecube library has the highest quality of all three libraries this generation, even though it's the smallest. Seriously, Gamecube may have had 60-70% the amount of games that XBox and PS2 had, but the amount of quality games for the Gamecube shatter the amount for Xbox and PS2.

Gamecube had more exclusive blockbusters:

-Resident Evil 1 remake
-Resident Evil 0
-Killer 7
-Paper Mario 2
-Wind-Waker
-Twilight Princess (accept it, this game will rule)
-Metroid Prime
-Metroid Prime 2
-Pikmin
-Pikmin 2
-Day of Reckoning
-Day of Reckoning 2
-WMXIX
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
-Numerous Sonic titles
-Metal Gear Solid remake
-Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

And then you count the amount of games that were exclusives, but turned into multi-platform games based on their success on the GC. Such as:

-Resident Evil 4
-Viewtiful Joe

So, in short, I think Nintendo proved that it didn't need a lot of third party support to create a powerful system w/ a great library. In fact, it seems like all Nintendo needs is Capcom. Hopefully, though, in an ideal world, the third-party support is big. The DS has a lot of support right now, after everyone realized the potential of the system... it will likely be the same way w/ the Revolution.

Nemephosis
September 16th, 2005, 7:18 PM
The best thing about the Revolution so far is that I can plug my Gamecube controllers into it and use those. That thing is quite frankly, shit. It's different just for the sake of being different.

I mean it could work okay for FPS like Metroid or something. Plug the analog stick into the controller and then you can move with the stick, and aim using the controller's sensor and fire with the trigger button underneath or something. That could work alright.

But fighting games? Are you fucking nuts? No way in hell will that work with the buttons being all over the place like that. Like I said, it's a damn good thing you'll be able to use the Gamecube's controllers on the Revolution, cause you're going to HAVE to for some games, I'm sure.

Dan The Man
September 16th, 2005, 7:27 PM
I like opinions in the first twenty-four hours of a peripheral that a handful of people in the entire world have used in an incomplete game. They're the best.

TapOut
September 16th, 2005, 8:00 PM
All I can say is I'm intrigued.

I'm not going to say "looks awesome" or "looks stupid and shitty", because right now, I'm thinking both.....

But again, I'm definetely interested. This could be something awesome, or it could be a huge flop. I'm going to hold out until I try it. Hey, Nintendo has me sold on this new system.

Nemephosis
September 16th, 2005, 8:03 PM
I think it could work great but only with the right games.

Obviously you are going to be hard pressed to play Super Smash Brothers Revolution with this pole. But it'd make a great stick for a shooting game. I think it'll have to be a game-by-game thing.

King101
September 16th, 2005, 8:10 PM
Nintendo obviously know the limits of the controller - their releasing SSB:R as a launch title, obviously to say "look, heres a game you all loved and said wouldn't work with this system and we've pulled it off" - they've said since E3 that Smash Brothers was in development so they must have a system worked out for it.

I guess they're also hoping that other developers will see how they do SSB and use a similar system to bring their own games to the Revolution.

You have to also remember that with the attachment at the bottom you have limitless possibilites of what could be attached to the controller - theoretically, every game could come with a pre-packaged controller designed specifically for that game. Im not saying thats a good or bad thing, but we definitely havnt seen everything this controller can offer.

I've also heard talks of some wort of "controll shell" that the 'wand' would go into and it would function like a more traditional controller.

The Great Dave
September 16th, 2005, 8:36 PM
What makes it so hard to make Smash Bros. work? We have a good 4 buttons at our disposal without even using the unique features. Analogue add-on has two, main device has two in any one position. It's hardly gonna be impossible.

Nemephosis
September 16th, 2005, 9:16 PM
What makes it so hard to make Smash Bros. work? We have a good 4 buttons at our disposal without even using the unique features. Analogue add-on has two, main device has two in any one position. It's hardly gonna be impossible.
I was under the impression you're going to have to hold it like a TV remote, but my brother (being the one more interested in the Revolution) says that he read something where you'll be able to configure it to work differently so that you could even hold it widthwise like a traditional controller and use the X and Y buttons (why they are labeled little a and little b I dunno)

If you can make it work differently, then I think it just might work out.

King101
September 16th, 2005, 9:26 PM
IGN have some new info on the controller - including info on the "shell"

take a look at this:

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651559/understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412-000.jpg

So, i guess theres a way to play more traditional games and keep the 'pointer' aspect of the controller.

full article: http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651559p1.html

PS - The image above is only a mock-up, not an official image.

PPS - A few notes from the article; NES games will definitey be played via turning the controller on its side, the analogue stick add-on will come packaged with the pointer as default (it wont have to be bought separately).

The Great Dave
September 16th, 2005, 9:29 PM
Problems solved. Best controller ever. Even if that is a mock up

Vice
September 16th, 2005, 9:52 PM
Yeah. What Dave said. :yes:

Cubed-Sphere
September 16th, 2005, 10:59 PM
What Dave and Vice said. I just starting reading recent posts in succession and the news got better each post. Finding out I could turn it sideways and use it as a controller was good enough news, but then to have confirmation that it will have a shell (though I know the picture is just a mock-up) really puts all worries to rest. We now know we don't HAVE to play games differently, but it's just an option for developers to mess with, and playing traditional games is still in the cards. We know now that multiplatform games will be a possibility, too.

Very good news. Man, I can't wait to see some software, and get a list of announced games.

Nemephosis
September 17th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Now THAT is news I'm glad to hear!

NOW I am looking very much forward to this. Mockup or not, that better be what they come out with because it will be perfect.

Vice
September 17th, 2005, 12:16 AM
My only main concern is how expensive these controllers might end up being..

A standard wavebird costs what.. $30? $35us?

The controller is now pretty much a wavebird, plus a remote, plus the thumbstick.. could be pretty expensive.

The Rogerer
September 17th, 2005, 5:57 AM
Ah well, sure people pay out the arse for everything these days.

I think I've made my mind up, I will be sticking by the Revolution. The Playstation 3 and XBox360 look completely interesting. Why would I buy one of them if I'm bored of the PS2 already? They doesn't seem to offer anything different whatsoever. At least with Nintendo they try.

Still the old games better be reasonably priced, not like the fucking NES classics. Inexcusable, that was.

Vice
September 17th, 2005, 6:21 AM
They could make a point system, like..

1 point - NES game
2 points - SNES game
5 points - N64 game

By buying a new game in stores for $50 (going by US prices), you'd get like 10 points. You'd add that code to your account and use those points online to "purchase" the older games. So you could get 2 N64 games, 5 SNES games or 10 NES games or mix and match however you choose.

95% chance I'm wrong, but it could work similarly somehow I suppose.. I dunno. I think it'd be neat, although I already have an emulator on my Dreamcast with all the NES games and a emulator/controller for my computer and I have all the SNES games..

The Great Dave
September 17th, 2005, 6:43 AM
This is all very promising. So long as the graphics aren't completley owned, and the PS3 doesn't get a huge lead, Rev should do well.

I'm excited for next gen now. The PS3 looks good at this point, but I see no reason for the 360 to live (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/mousedown/revo.swf), personally. Rev, especially for a fanboy like me, could be the best thing ever. NES, SNES, N64, GCN and amazing new tech.

Can a mod change the thread title to just "Nintendo Revolution"?

King101
September 17th, 2005, 8:46 AM
They could make a point system, like..

1 point - NES game
2 points - SNES game
5 points - N64 game

By buying a new game in stores for $50 (going by US prices), you'd get like 10 points. You'd add that code to your account and use those points online to "purchase" the older games. So you could get 2 N64 games, 5 SNES games or 10 NES games or mix and match however you choose.

95% chance I'm wrong, but it could work similarly somehow I suppose.. I dunno. I think it'd be neat, although I already have an emulator on my Dreamcast with all the NES games and a emulator/controller for my computer and I have all the SNES games..

Im pretty sure there will be something like that going on - there will be the option to buy games individually for a relatively small price, but I cant see them forcing you to pay for something you could pick up for a dollar in any 2nd hand store.

Chances are they may give out old games as a pre-order bonus - they've experimented with it on the Cube with the Zelda Collectors Edition so I can see them taking the next step in that direction.

"Pre-Order Mario 128 today and get Super Mario 64 for free" or something similar - perhaps you get to choose which Mario game(s) you want with a point system like you said.

and on the subject of the Controller price; Nintendo have said that the analogue thumb-stick will come packaged with the pointer, sothat wont have to be paid for seperately - the shell is the only add-on you will have to buy.

Excel
September 17th, 2005, 8:51 AM
Seems like you will need the shell for many games though, as we've discussed its hard to figure out how they will use the pointer controller for most game genres. So unless you can use the GC controller for those games (which most people wont own anyway) then you are basically forced to buy the shell as an extra if you want a game that requires it.

The Great Dave
September 17th, 2005, 9:07 AM
The thing is needed to play N64 and SNES games. I expect it to be packaged with the console, quite frankly. It's not confirmed or anything, but you can't sell "SNES and N64 compatability" and not make sure it's possible out the box.

I think, if Nintendo were smart, they'd use their current "Stars" system and let you buy games with numerous purchases. Say you get 100 stars with a new game, and a NES game is 10 stars, SNES is 20 and N64 is 50, or something along those lines. Obviously they can sell them too, but that would be a nice thing to do.

S.H. Styles
September 17th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Sorry, I don't really see the big thing in this. Someone care to explain?

From what I hear its like a remote where you sit back and you push the analog to move forward and A to jump or whatever. Big deal? :wtf:

Stan Hibbert
September 17th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Sorry, I don't really see the big thing in this. Someone care to explain?

From what I hear its like a remote where you sit back and you push the analog to move forward and A to jump or whatever. Big deal? :wtf:

Explains how the controller might work for conventional games, and even make some of them better.

The Great Dave
September 17th, 2005, 11:42 AM

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651275p1.html

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651301p1.html

Read?

The Great Dave
September 17th, 2005, 2:40 PM
After months of speculation, Nintendo finally revealed their top secret Revolution controller at the Tokyo Game Show today. With its TV remote design and motion-sensing functionality, Nintendo looks set to continue apace on its crusade for making gaming accessible to, well, absolutely anyone and everyone.

We managed to speak to Nintendo's Jim Merrick - the man responsible for the company's European marketing - to find out more about the controller, how it will work and where it fits into Nintendo's master plan...

It would have been nice to actually see some of the games that the controller will be compatible with featured in the video presentation.

We went to great lengths not to show games in the trailer! It's more about keeping the focus on the interface. If you show the game then everybody gets distracted by the graphics and what we really wanted to focus on was the human interface with the game and the machine.

Is the motion-sensing aspect of the controller going to be compatible with all Revolution games?

Like the Nintendo DS, which offers many different input devices such as voice and touch-screen, not every game is going to use every capability of the controller. The Revolution controller can sense not only where you're pointing, but where your relative position front to back, how close you are, whether you're tilting or rolling - it senses all of these things. Those may or may not be appropriate for different games, so there's no absolute requirement that all games should use it.

The current controller design does work reasonably well for certain types of game - we're not going to throw it all out, but we wanted a fresh start and a fresh way of thinking to bring new consumers to the console.

How is movement of the controller detected?

We use Bluetooth technology to communicate between the controller and what we call a 'sensor bar', which has two little sensors on it that are maybe a foot apart. These sensors can be detached from the bar and they can be above the TV or below the TV - it doesn't really matter.

There's really no set-up other than just putting the bar by the TV. There's no calibration for size or type of TV or anything like that.

So presumably the controller will be compatible with all TVs?

It works with any kind of television set - it doesn't matter if it's LCD, plasma, projector or CRT.

And the gamer won't have to sit in the same position every time they're playing a title that uses the motion-sensing function?

Absolutely not - the relative angle in front of the sensor bar is about the same as the viewing angle of the TV. So if you can see the TV, the controller is going to work.

Are the three central buttons on the controller as self-explanatory as they seem?

Well, 'Start' and 'Select' have preconceptions as to what they do - they've been around for years, so that's okay. What exactly the 'Home' button will do, well, we don't really know yet as we've never had one before, so we'll have to see.

How will the controller be powered?

We don't have any specifics on it yet. There are always the pros and cons with the rechargeable batteries, yes they're nice, but then you have to dock it somewhere to charge it up. Disposable batteries are readily available, so… but I don't know, we haven't got there yet.

How will the controllers be bundled with the hardware?

What we call the 'freehand' controller - the basic controller that looks like a remote - and the 'nunchaku-style' controller will be packaged with the hardware and is really an amazing combination.

The third type of controller will be the 'classic-style' expansion controller, which Mr Iwata spoke about in his speech - but there was no visual to go with it because we haven't got the design finalised - we haven't decided how we'll market it.

Can you explain a bit about the classic controller?

It's effectively a shell like a standard controller with a hole in it and you slot in the freehand controller. So for games that are well suited for a traditional style controller, well, there you are.

The classic controller is important for us for our virtual console games. When I'm playing my favourite game - the N64 version of Goldeneye - it's built for that kind of controller.

How do you envisage people using the freehand controller - will it be a true one-handed device given the position of the d-pad and A button?

The problem is that in the past we spent years trying to figure out how to move forward, back and side-to-side using our thumbs. Now, I move the whole controller. If I want to bank my aeroplane - I bank the controller. Suddenly I don't need all the buttons that I needed before to approximate what I want to do - I simply do it. It's much more intuitive. I point just by pointing my hand at the screen. The problem with the analogue is that you're always trying to move it in an analogue fashion, not just slam it up against the edge. This is much more natural.

What can we expect in terms of additional peripherals that will plug into the controller?

We can envision all kinds of possibilities. We were joking the other day that bongo drums for Donkey Konga would've been great with a wireless controller. If you built a set of bongo drums with a slot in it and you just slot in the freehand controller and you're online - that would be great.

When we briefed the guys from Sega they immediately thought of Samba De Amigo. You could have a relatively inexpensive dance mat with a slot in it and you just slot in the freehand controller and you've got a wireless dance mat. So there are all kinds of ways you can go with it.

Will there be any proprietary technology that will eliminate third-party peripheral developers?

We haven't really decided what we're going to do working with third-parties on additional expansion controllers or other things, but it is fair to say that Nintendo will aggressively protect its intellectual property.

Shigeru Miyamoto recently stated that Nintendo was still adding and removing various functions of the controller - can you explain the transitions the device has undergone during development?

We spent a lot of time puzzling over what types of human interface we can do that will be really beneficial to both new gamers and existing gamers, and we've considered all kinds of ideas.

You've seen all the different kinds of technologies that are out there and we needed something that was accurate, reliable and relevant for our audience.

Mr Miyamoto is correct that the design is not 100% final. It is basically complete, but we reserve the right to move buttons and round corners. However, we have not shared everything that there is to know about Revolution or its controller.

So there are still some secrets to be revealed?

C'mon, we're Nintendo - we like to hold things until the very end!

Is this controller a definite statement of Nintendo's intent to broaden gaming horizons for a new audience?

If we can use the DS as an analogy where we have a similar thing happening and a bit of experience, we know that a lot of the consumers who bought 'touch-generation games' - which are really those games designed to reach out to new consumers - we know that those consumers have come back and bought WarioWare and Mario and more traditional games, so they are becoming active gamers again.

What they need is that entry point, but gaming is a bit of an addiction once you get started, you just have to get started. I think they will converge. Certainly there will be games written to address new consumers or written to address all consumers, and at the same time we'll continue to build those games for the existing market, for those core gamers today who got us here in the first place - we can't abandon them. Nintendo is in a unique position in that we've always had the ability to write games for everybody. Zelda, Pokemon, Mario 64 or whatever, we've had the ability to reach the broadest range of people all along, we're just going to expand on that.

Do you think the Revolution is going to distance Nintendo even more from Microsoft and Sony?

We're following our own path, to be sure. We have a different business model than they do, we're not trying to be the centre of your home for the digital distribution of music and movies and things.

We're an entertainment company and we make hardware and software to provide our product, which is entertainment. If that means we go down a different path to our competitors, then so be it. We don't measure our success the same way as they do.

When will we be able to get hands-on with the Revolution and its controller?

I don't know when that's going to be yet. We really want you to experience the games in a complete form and we tend to wait until then.

The example that we have with the DS is that in January 2004 when we first announced it we said it had two screens because that's pretty easy to understand. We didn't say anything about the touch-screen until you could touch it and experience it at E3 and I think we're going to go the same route with Revolution.

We've explained as much as we can and now we need to show you with nearly finished games so that you can really get a sense of the overall experience.

In case you missed it;

When I'm playing my favourite game - the N64 version of Goldeneye - it's built for that kind of controller.

Goldeneye for download? Looks like it's possible.

TapOut
September 17th, 2005, 7:14 PM
I just hope my hands don't get tired. Seriously. I can't imagine trying to play a platformer with that thing. I'd get tired and have to switch to a regular controller in a matter of minutes.

Nemephosis
September 17th, 2005, 9:17 PM
I just hope my hands don't get tired. Seriously. I can't imagine trying to play a platformer with that thing. I'd get tired and have to switch to a regular controller in a matter of minutes.
Yes, that is what the controller shell is for. Spring for it, and you can play for longer than 20 minutes at a time. I'm going to get it even though the revolution will likely end up belonging to my brother.

TapOut
September 17th, 2005, 9:37 PM
I know that's what the controller shell is for. Problem is, I don't want to use it on a game that is fully compatible and fun with the new controller. Kinda defeats the purpose. Why play the new Mario game with the new controller for 15 minutes before your arm aches and you have to go back to the basic?

The Great Dave
September 17th, 2005, 10:00 PM
It's supposed to be very sensitive. If you can move a mouse connected to your PC for hours, you can play Rev. The video is naturally filled with exagerated movements. Nintendo's people have said you can have the thing resting on your knee and it works fine.

Dan The Man
September 17th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Also, god forbid kids playing video games get some sort of exercise.

The Great Dave
September 17th, 2005, 10:16 PM
I'm expecting a heart-rate peripheral.

Incase anybody hasn't seen it; http://cubemovies.ign.com/cube/video/article/651/651334/revolutiontrailer_091605_qtlow.mov is the trailer for Rev.

Kris
September 17th, 2005, 10:25 PM
The N64 controller was best. They can only do worse than it.

Cubed-Sphere
September 17th, 2005, 10:29 PM
The N64 controller was best. They can only do worse than it.
I personally feel the GameCube controller is/was the best videogame controller of all time.

The Great Dave
September 17th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Me too. I couldn't hold the N64 controller like you were supposed to (hand around middle...thing). Gamecube's felt perfect.

http://home.comcast.net/~olsen31/Images/gun.jpg

Obviously fake, but Rev has so much potential...

TapOut
September 17th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Hmmm.....

Nintendo could take a clue from that pic.... I might finally be interested in FPS...

If Nintendo do make a gun like that, expect X-Box to have MORE success off of it when it integrates into it's Halo series..

I've got no problem with moving and such when playing a game, I just don't want to get sore while playing a damn game. Hopefully, as you said, it's ultra sensitive and I can play while laying down with my hand at my side.

Dan The Man
September 17th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Me too. I couldn't hold the N64 controller like you were supposed to (hand around middle...thing). Gamecube's felt perfect.

http://home.comcast.net/~olsen31/Images/gun.jpg

Obviously fake, but Rev has so much potential...

Oh my god.

That gun:boink:

At this rate, I'm starting to think they won't be happy until I'm a full-fledged fanboy.

Cubed-Sphere
September 18th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Has Nintendo crapped all over Microsoft and Sony or what?

I mean, technically, I'm still in love w/ the 360, but all Nintendo needs to do now to make me squirt, and give the 360 and PS3 a run, is to show graphics that are atleast double that of the GC (easily possible). In fact, I think Nintendo can triple the raw processing power of the GC with ease, since all the competitors are saying how their new systems are "8 and 10 x's" more powerful than their predecessors.

Basically, all I'm saying is, as long as Nintendo gives us graphical power that atleast comes close to the 360 and PS3, it'll win a lot of sales from its innovation and lower price-tag (like I've said previously in this thread, projections have this system at half the sale-price of the PS3 and 360).

The Great Dave
September 18th, 2005, 6:21 AM
I'm sure the graphics will be fine. End of the day, Rev isn't supporting HDTV (currently), hypathetically you can say that the system can be less powerfull than XBox 360, yet still create graphics that look as good as it for most users. I'm not too aware of the ins-and-outs, but if XBox 360 has to be able to run all it's games in high res, then the graphics aren't going to be used to their fullest at low definition. Think of PCs, a 3 year old PC can probably run a game in an 800x600 resolution just as well as a modern one. But the modern one can run it in 1024x700 or whatever as well.

Cubed-Sphere
September 18th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Nintendo seems to be hinting that it will support HDTV's now, so just to be safe, as I also know the 360 will definately support HD, I'm looking to save up for an HDTV. I truly want to get the most out of my next-gen gaming experience. Even if the Rev. doesn't "support" HDTV, it'll still run on one.

TapOut
September 18th, 2005, 3:39 PM
I'm not worried about Revolutions graphics. In fact, Nintendo has not yet dropped the ball in that department. Most games on Gamecube are far better looking than their PS2 counterparts, and some even rival X-Box's.

Still, while I don't think it's going to give any next-gen a run for it's money, I expect Revolution to not be an afterthought like the Gamecube was. This is going to be in the running. I feel that no matter which system sells the most units, all three next gens will be successful.

Cubed-Sphere
September 18th, 2005, 5:53 PM
I'm not worried about Revolutions graphics. In fact, Nintendo has not yet dropped the ball in that department. Most games on Gamecube are far better looking than their PS2 counterparts, and some even rival X-Box's.

Still, while I don't think it's going to give any next-gen a run for it's money, I expect Revolution to not be an afterthought like the Gamecube was. This is going to be in the running. I feel that no matter which system sells the most units, all three next gens will be successful.
Hope you're right. However, in my dream world, I'd want the 360 and Revolution to do great and for the PS3 to be like this gen's Gamecube: Successful to an extent, but trailing behind the other two.

The Great Dave
September 18th, 2005, 8:02 PM
PS3 is far, far more exciting than XBox 360 for me. Just for it's new Eye toy and the possibility of Cell not being shit. The only good thing about 360 is it's Media Center link up.

RV3
September 19th, 2005, 1:00 AM
The only good thing about 360 is it's Media Center link up.

Which is now available for the XBox, so its not exactly ground breaking.

SerialHunter
September 19th, 2005, 1:04 AM
that controller its just awful

Cubed-Sphere
September 19th, 2005, 8:00 AM
PS3 is far, far more exciting than XBox 360 for me. Just for it's new Eye toy and the possibility of Cell not being shit. The only good thing about 360 is it's Media Center link up.
See, the eyetoy doesn't interest me and the graphics of both systems are about even from everything I've seen and read... so add in my whole "death to Sony" thing and you see where I'm coming from.

Anyway, back to the goodness that is Nintendo. Is there any word on when software might be announced?

T.I (uh oh)
September 19th, 2005, 9:25 AM
Although unveiling the genius that is the Revolution controller was a wise tactical move to open the TGS, Nintendo still has a lot of work to do to secure 3rd party support and consumer awareness.

Considering that the X360 launches in 2 months, Nintendo need to release hardware specs before then, and they best be sure that they are at least in the same ballpark as MS' machine. They also need to supply developers with development kits, and I'd also recommend tech demo's to show exactly what the thing is capable of. Nintendo also needs to supply developers with details about it's planned peripherals, including the "shell", and also challenge them to design their own.

Nintendo have already luckily got their patents down with this shit, so Sony & Microsoft cannot copy it. They will be able to create something similar, but I have a feeling that they will underestimate the impact that this type of technology will have on the industry.

As long as Nintendo, and a few key 3rd parties (EA, THQ, Capcom etc) have killer apps, that implement the new interface as seamlessly as Mario & Pilotwings did on the 64, the interface will become a standard. And by the time that happens, Nintendo will have a distinct advantage with the technology, and the support of developers, leaving MS and Sony behind in this department.

However, Nintendo cannot afford to be too late entering the market. They cannot afford to not have the casual gamers attention. They need to inform the market of their system, sooner rather than later. They need to show off the technology. They need to show people how much simpler it will be to use, while emphasizing the diverse nature of it's use in terms of genre-breaking stuff.

And finally, if Nintendo can enter the market not too long after Sony, and at a substantially lower pricepoint, say $199 US, with a fully organised online component (which will be free apparently), full access to Nintendo's back catalogue (with some 3rd party support), and a strong next gen library of launch titles (Mario, Smash Bros, Pilotwings, Metroid etc), then Nintendo will be in it up to their ears.

Fuck yeah!

RockyandTrishRule
September 19th, 2005, 11:39 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782&did=1

There is the article showing you exactly what the revolution ctroller will look like. It looks like Nintendo have decided to continue with their horribly designed controllers from gamecube, to their new system.

Sure the idea behind it is decent, but the controller still looks and will still be utter shit. No one wants to play a game system with basically a tv remote.

This is a sad day for nintendo fanboys, but I canniot wait to see how they plan on defending this one.

Dan The Man
September 19th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Um, if you weren't retarded and checked the actual Revolution thread, you'd see that most everyone (including those, like me, who are decidedly not fanboys) are very intrigued about the idea.

Moreover, the thought of determining your opinion on a controller you've never seen in person, let alone touched, or even *gasp* played with, shows an incredible amount of ignorance and illogic.

The Great Dave
September 19th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Every single website that's had hands-on with the controller has sang it's praises, and said how comfortable and percise it is. It's a 3D controller for 3D games. If you can't see it's potential than there's no point arguing with you. It really doesn't matter what it looks like. Gamecube's controller is amazingly comfortable to hold, and it's layout is much more intelligent than the SNES layout the Dualshock has. Yet you seem to think it's horribly designed. Perhaps because it doesn't look cool enough to you.

residue
September 19th, 2005, 12:00 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782&did=1

There is the article showing you exactly what the revolution ctroller will look like. It looks like Nintendo have decided to continue with their horribly designed controllers from gamecube, to their new system.

Sure the idea behind it is decent, but the controller still looks and will still be utter shit. No one wants to play a game system with basically a tv remote.

This is a sad day for nintendo fanboys, but I canniot wait to see how they plan on defending this one.
aka nintendo is teh suxors

The Great Dave
September 19th, 2005, 12:00 PM
See, the eyetoy doesn't interest me and the graphics of both systems are about even from everything I've seen and read... so add in my whole "death to Sony" thing and you see where I'm coming from.

Anyway, back to the goodness that is Nintendo. Is there any word on when software might be announced?

I hate Sony. Like...hate them. Pathetically so. But at least with Playstation you're almost guaranteed strong third party support, and that's what puts it above XBox for me. I know 360 is getting lots more Japanese support, but PS3 will amost certainly get more, and that's why I choose it so far.

Ideally, both companies would carry on losing money on their consoles until they both died. Hell, I have a feeling that, just like the DS is owning the PSP in Japan, PS3 may not have an easy fight against Revolution over there. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we didn't have one dominant worldwide leader next gen. Nintendo in Japan, Microsoft in America and Sony in Europe is a totally realistic prospect to me.

Nintendo are revealing more on the Wi-Fi connection in October. If we're lucky, we may get some Rev news, like an announced game that supports it, but we don't know when we're getting actual game footage. Probably when Miyamoto makes Mario show offable.

The Great Dave
September 19th, 2005, 12:04 PM
New information exposing further details about the Nintendo Revolution, has come through Spiegel Online's (now english-translated) interview with Satoru Iwata.

On the issue of ports, Nintendo has apparently been talking to publishers about bringing up new and unique ideas for key titles in the market-place that can be used to manipulate the possibilities of the new controller. Iwata goes on to say that most developers are quite interested in doing fresh things with the controller in existing genres, asserting that the controller offers a lot of potential. Certain genres actually play better with the new controller and "nunchaku"-expansion.

Mario 128, which Miyamoto has previously confirmed as being in development, was also mentioned. Iwata reportedly asked Miyamoto to have the new Mario game ready for the Revolution's launch, saying that [he] feels as a gamer that Nintendo need the title at launch.

He also addresses certain concerns around the new console -- namely graphics and online gaming. He assures that Nintendo know how important the two features are to gamers and that they will try to offer a better experience with the system. However, Iwata believes most non-gamers do not care about the best visuals, which is the main reason behind Nintendo trying to explain why games are fun to the demographic with the new controller.

Lastly, Mr. Iwata shares his thoughts on the multi-media functions for the system. While Nintendo have indeed brought the functions to the console with a DVD tray, online capabilities and internal flash RAM, it is important that a gaming system brings instant fun. If the gaming experience is not as fun on the system, he asserts, no one will buy it, not even for the multimedia functions.

RockyandTrishRule
September 19th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Every single website that's had hands-on with the controller has sang it's praises, and said how comfortable and percise it is. It's a 3D controller for 3D games. If you can't see it's potential than there's no point arguing with you. It really doesn't matter what it looks like. Gamecube's controller is amazingly comfortable to hold, and it's layout is much more intelligent than the SNES layout the Dualshock has. Yet you seem to think it's horribly designed. Perhaps because it doesn't look cool enough to you.

Its not the look that bugs me its trhe horrible design. My main problem with the gamecube controller is horrible buttom design. Buttons should be the same shape not moon shaped, big circle, small circle it makes it wierd to play with. Plus the analog sticks are too small.

The Great Dave
September 19th, 2005, 12:22 PM
It's not a horrible design though. You're moving the thing through the air. What do you want it to look like, a normal controller? Stop looking at it the same way you'd look at a PS3 or XBox 360 controller. Imagine playing with it and tell me why there's a problem.

The Gamecube's layout is great because you can hit every button so easily. A is the primary button, but you can hit X, B or Y at the same time easily.

RockyandTrishRule
September 19th, 2005, 12:32 PM
the gamecubes layout was shit. I could easily press all the buttons I needed on the PS2 controller without it having buttons shaped like a fucking half moon.

Stan Hibbert
September 19th, 2005, 1:07 PM
The GameCube pad is more comfortable to hold, and the left analog stick is positioned better than it is on the PS2 controller.

RockyandTrishRule
September 19th, 2005, 1:09 PM
I don't get why you think that. The analog sticks are perfect postions on the ps2 for you to use with your thumbs while using other controls, while it off on the gamecube controller. The gaemcube controller is too small and bascially fits in one hand, while the ps2 controller is perfect for both hands to fit on at once. Maybe if you had small hands or something the cube controller would be easier for you.

Stan Hibbert
September 19th, 2005, 1:13 PM
The Gamecube pad is exactly the same size as the DualShock. What are you talking about?

There's nothing desperately wrong with the way the analog is positioned on the PS2 pad, but having it act as the primary source of control is better than having it that little bit further down. It's just a lot more comfotable to use on the Cube.

The Rogerer
September 19th, 2005, 1:15 PM
I personally feel the GameCube controller is/was the best videogame controller of all time.It has it's flaws, but it is indeed brilliant.

Bill Casey
September 19th, 2005, 1:16 PM
Nintendo hasn't made a good controller in over a decade...
This is gonna kill their third party support...
How are developers supposed to translate their games to this?

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/2755/revolution7fc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I love how you're supposed to operate it with one thumb, yet the buttons are so far apart from the directional pad...

This reminds me of the "Nintendo Power Glove"

The Rogerer
September 19th, 2005, 1:17 PM
I am so happy that RockyandTrishRule does not like it. For those of you who have not encountered, RATR is so wrong about everything that it's still a common belief that they are nothing than the most obvious sock of all time.

Dan The Man
September 19th, 2005, 1:18 PM
I love how you're supposed to operate it with one thumb, yeat the buttons are so far apart from the directional pad...

It's a primarily two-button controller. The large A and trigger B are extremely close to the d-pad. The small X and Y buttons are for using it horizontally, ala the NES controller.

The Rogerer
September 19th, 2005, 1:21 PM
Bill, it's multi purpose.

The Gamecube controller was the first one where you could realistically use all four main face buttons at once, a flaw in the wishy washy, flimsy, neutral PS controller that everyone sucks on.

Stan Hibbert
September 19th, 2005, 1:23 PM
The only thing I don't like about the Cube pad is the Z button. Besides that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Bill Casey
September 19th, 2005, 1:25 PM
It's a primarily two-button controller.
Again, killing their third party support...

Dan The Man
September 19th, 2005, 1:27 PM
Not at all, as you'd see if this was the Revolution thread, where the subject (and many more pertinent pieces of information needed to discuss it, such as the shell and other add-ons) has been thoroughly dissected.

You know, and not this unnecessary duplicate thread created by a mental muppet.

Bill Casey
September 19th, 2005, 1:45 PM
I could care less about what R&T thinks...
I'm not going to wave a magic wand around with a catheter attached to it while wearing 3D glasses...

At least not while playing video games...

But now I'm going to have to play Mario and jack off a controller at the same time... As if my wrist doesn't get enough excercise...

Dan The Man
September 19th, 2005, 2:01 PM
But you won't have to, a point that would be abundantly clear had this discussion taken place in the confines of the actual thread.

Nemesis
September 19th, 2005, 2:05 PM
Any time RATR throws the word "fanboy" around, I can't help but laugh.

Matty C
September 19th, 2005, 2:09 PM
Although I'm ready to hold back most criticism until I get to use it, it really does look terrible.

I don't know why you guys hate the PS2 controller so much, I find it very comfortable and extremely easy to use.

Bill Casey
September 19th, 2005, 2:11 PM
But you won't have to, a point that would be abundantly clear had this discussion taken place in the confines of the actual thread.
I know, I know...
You turn it sideways and it becomes a power strip with buttons on it...
I swear, Nintendo does things just for the sake of being innovative...

They should make a helmet with a screen in it and a voice recognition system so you can just shout out the buttons you want to press... That'll be fun...

Nemesis
September 19th, 2005, 2:13 PM
I don't know why you guys hate the PS2 controller so much, I find it very comfortable and extremely easy to use.

I think it's more of a matter of preferring the Gamecube controller than hating the PS2 one.

I liked the PS2 controller, except for when one of the shoulder buttons would stick. :dunno:

Dan The Man
September 19th, 2005, 2:16 PM
I know, I know...
You turn it sideways and it becomes a power strip with buttons on it...
I swear, Nintendo does things just for the sake of being innovative...

No, that's not it at all. Seriously, just take a quick glance at any of the three or four most recent pages. The discussion and pictures of the shell are there more than a few times.

And this is, once again, the reason duplicate threads are so stupid on message boards. You fraction the discussion and force the same things to be said multiple times.

And I thought Sean had a pretty good hold on this forum...

Matty C
September 19th, 2005, 2:20 PM
I think it's more of a matter of preferring the Gamecube controller than hating the PS2 one.

I liked the PS2 controller, except for when one of the shoulder buttons would stick. :dunno:

Yes, that does seem to be a problem with the PS2 controller. I always figured Sony did it on purpose to force us to buy new controllers.... :blah:

Bill Casey
September 19th, 2005, 2:24 PM
http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651559/understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412-000.jpg

Oh look, it's a Mega Zord...
Can't wait to see what the legs are...

Mike
September 19th, 2005, 2:26 PM
Bill, it's multi purpose.

The Gamecube controller was the first one where you could realistically use all four main face buttons at once, a flaw in the wishy washy, flimsy, neutral PS controller that everyone sucks on.

?

How can you not use all 4 face buttons on the PS controller at once?

My thumb encompasses all of them pretty easily.

ANT
September 19th, 2005, 2:30 PM
Holy Shit is that a power button on the controller?

Awesome