PDA

View Full Version : The Office (US Version) Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Miotch
March 24th, 2005, 2:03 PM
So, this show starts tonight, and with all the acclaims that the British version got, I'm excited to see it. I guess to start this thing off, I'll propose a couple of questions.

How do you think it'll be? Will it hold a candle to the British version of the show?

What kind of success do you think it will have? Can in reclaim Thursday nights for NBC?

Do you think that redoing the show to appeal to US audiences is a good idea, or should they have just aired the British version?

Ace Rockola
March 24th, 2005, 2:24 PM
I was just about to make this thread myself.

I know we have a long history of fucking up shows from other countries. We don't think their versions could work, or whatever. So this is hurting from the get go.

But, I have faith in it, cause Steve Carrell of The Daily Show and Anchorman is the star. That guy is so goddamn hysterical that he'll be able to make it watchable no matter how bad it is.

Never seen the British version, but my girlfriend has a couple seasons on VHS back in England. So if I really like this and she thinks it's close enough to that version I'll have her get her mum to send the tapes over to us.

Miotch
March 24th, 2005, 2:39 PM
I think it'll be good, to be honest, and I really think that it will grab a following. What would be cool is if it does take off, NBC should run the British version in the summers or something to that effect. I haven't seen it either, but it's supposed to be phenomenal.

Ace Rockola
March 24th, 2005, 2:41 PM
Wait, good and grab a following? Like Arrested Development?

Jason_HBK
March 24th, 2005, 2:46 PM
More like Seinfeld. NBC is prepared for "low" ratings and will commit to the show for a few seasons to see if it takes off like Seinfeld did.

I have never seen the original but apparently neither has Steve Carey. He said he didn't want to be an imitation of Ricky Gervais. But Ricky has seen the pilot and says it's just as good as the original.

I have high hopes for this show.

RockOverBoston
March 24th, 2005, 2:57 PM
Will it hold a candle to the original? Quite frankly, that might not be possible,as that's a truly innovative and hilarious show. In fact, the promos make this version look to be inspired as much if not moreso by "Office Space" as it is by the BBC's "Office".

NBC can tell you all day that they're committed to this show and are willing to let it struggle until it develops a following, but that means little - they said the very same about "Coupling" and, more recently, "LAX". In the end, it's GE's call, and they're not interested in losing out on potential profit, nor will they. They've also yet to commit to anything more than the initial run, so until they do, that's pretty telling in and of itself.

This show doesn't look nearly as bad as those who have seen the original expected, reviews are mixed and NBC doesn't have it destined for a truly terrible time slot. If nothing else, it should be considerably more successful than any number of their other new programs that they promoted to death, most notably the aforementioned "LAX" and "The Contender". To boot, it'll have the benefit of going up against second-run episodes, which has worked for them better than anyone had expected recently with "Crossing Jordan".

This is a network that's starving for a new hit, and this show will be given a slightly better chance to succeed than some, but if it stalls, its run won't be much longer than the original's.

GeezaTap
March 24th, 2005, 3:21 PM
I was just about to make this thread myself.

I know we have a long history of fucking up shows from other countries. We don't think their versions could work, or whatever. So this is hurting from the get go.

But, I have faith in it, cause Steve Carrell of The Daily Show and Anchorman is the star. That guy is so goddamn hysterical that he'll be able to make it watchable no matter how bad it is.

Never seen the British version, but my girlfriend has a couple seasons on VHS back in England. So if I really like this and she thinks it's close enough to that version I'll have her get her mum to send the tapes over to us.

Oooooh, i dunno Ace, can Americans handle a sitcom with no laughter track?

Ok, so that's a really outdated stereotype.

You can get the complete UK Office on DVD, and you should get it asap.

You'll love it.

Stigger
March 24th, 2005, 4:35 PM
One of the great things about the Office was its style, that of a documentary. It was set up like it was a camera crew following a set of real people round as they get on with their jobs. A lot of the humour came from Ricky’s little looks to the camera, as if he was realising they’ve caught him looking like a gimp. I know people who when they first saw it, didn’t realise it was fiction. None of the actors were famous and people could identify it with people from their own jobs. Best of luck to the American series. If it’s half as funny it’ll be a classic.

Hobbit
March 24th, 2005, 4:49 PM
I know it's not much to go by, but having just seen a trailer for it on the IMDb, it looks fucking awful. It's just trying to all 'awkward' and 'ohhh cringeworthy' but failing at both, looking utterly embarassing in the process.

Seriously, what was the point in Americanising it? The original was subtle and witty, but this one is just pathetic.

'No one cares what you think.' OH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :blah:

No.

The Brothers Grimm
March 24th, 2005, 5:00 PM
In fact, the promos make this version look to be inspired as much if not moreso by "Office Space" as it is by the BBC's "Office".

Is that such a bad thing? I though Office Space was brilliant.

scurvy pirate
March 24th, 2005, 5:13 PM
I downloaded the first episode a while back. The script is 99.999 % identical to the British one. So why not just broadcast that ?

N.E.R.F.
March 24th, 2005, 5:16 PM
Ah come on Brits, just watched the trailers for it. :rofl: Brilliant. Not as funny as the original but they're only trailers. The basketball bit especially.

Also, unrelated though, I saw an ad for Revelations. That looks VERY decent, hope it makes it over here.

N.E.R.F.
March 24th, 2005, 5:18 PM
"I decided not to put 'Arab' in there, I felt it would be too explosive. No pun intended."

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

aenima
March 24th, 2005, 5:26 PM
I'm determined not to see this. I don't want it to ruin the wonderful memories I have of the original.

Like remake of The Italian Job did. Cheers for that, cunts! :mad:

Miotch
March 24th, 2005, 5:42 PM
I'm determined not to see this. I don't want it to ruin the wonderful memories I have of the original.

Like remake of The Italian Job did. Cheers for that, cunts! :mad:
The remake of Men Behaving Badly was fucking hilarious though...

The Great Dave
March 24th, 2005, 7:56 PM
I hated The Office. I love Steve Carrell. So who knows? Maybe I'll enjoy it this time. I'll check it out. Just for Carrell.

Beefy
March 24th, 2005, 10:29 PM
So? What did people think?

I've got to say that I'm looking forward to seeing the American version. It will be very very strange seeing anyone other than Gervais in the main part, but I'm willing to give it a go. The problem I've got with it is that it looks like its been hyped up a lot. The original run of the first six episodes over here got no hype whatsoever, but word spread as the series went on so the BBC ended up repeating the whole series soon after. Thats when the real interest kicked in. But with the hype its difficult to see if this series is going to get the chance to find its feet like the British one did.

Plus the British one only had six standard episodes plus the two christmas specials. Even if they are transfering the material over for the Americans, before too long they are going to run out of stuff.

Oh and anyone who hasn't seen the original, just do. Its comedy at its finest.

El Capitano Gatisto
March 24th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I downloaded and watched the first episode from somewhere. Dunno where now, from a link in a TPWW thread I think.

It was pretty good. Not as good as the original, but a decent comedy in its own right.

Fulham Road Supporter
March 24th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah I downloaded it from TPWW a few months back, and I thought it was pretty good. The guy that plays David Brent is actually really good I thought, I hardly laughed though because it's pretty much all the same as the English version.

It's not as good as the English one, but it's still worth a watch.

Wedge
March 24th, 2005, 10:52 PM
They are recreating the pilot, then going off in a different direction from that point on. So far (it's 2/3s done) it's pretty good. Not as good as the original, but most remakes seldom are.

Kris P. Lettus
March 25th, 2005, 12:01 AM
It was funny..

Alot of awkward silences which is weird (for American tv anyway)..

When he told Jan she was fired and she started crying..

LMFAO

:heart: Steve Carrell

Big
March 25th, 2005, 1:30 AM
FUCK!!!!

I missed it.

:cry:

Anyone know when/if the replay will be on?

Hulkamaniac
March 25th, 2005, 7:08 AM
I can imagine it being better than most of the stuff out there, but it just wont come close to the original because of just that, it was absolutely original and unique. Nobody knew what was going on when it first aired, it was so peculiar and the material and every performance was completely pitch perfect. Theres just no way another programme could recreate that.

Alf
March 25th, 2005, 7:13 AM
Is it just exactly the same as the Brit one but with American actors?

Seanny One Ball
March 25th, 2005, 7:13 AM
I want to see this trailer...where do I find it?

N.E.R.F.
March 25th, 2005, 8:17 AM
www.nbc.com

Follow links to... surprisingly, "The Office".

Reech
March 25th, 2005, 8:37 AM
Halfway in.

Pretty good.

Got Dave?
March 25th, 2005, 9:40 AM
Sounds like a complete remake - same scripts etc

Wedge
March 25th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Sounds like a complete remake - same scripts etc

Didn't you see what I posted? The pilot is a complete remake(script wise, they changed character names), as an homage, but after that, they're going in a different direction with the scripts.

Miotch
March 25th, 2005, 12:42 PM
All I know is, I SO want to put my bosses coffee cup in a jello mold.

:lol:

Wedge
March 25th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I know, that bit is awesome. And Carrel doing a bad Hitler with a nameplate serving as a mustache. It has some good potential with the cast they put together.

The Great Dave
March 26th, 2005, 2:34 PM
I didn't think it was all that bad. I've always hate a deep hatred for Ricky Gervais for some reason, and it put me off The Office first time round. Now with a guy I am now in lust with in the lead, perhaps I can enjoy the show. I'll be downloading the second one anyway.

Hopefully they won't make Steve do that retarded dance :mad:

turdpower
March 26th, 2005, 3:03 PM
Didn't you see what I posted? The pilot is a complete remake(script wise, they changed character names), as an homage, but after that, they're going in a different direction with the scripts.

Someone watches Richard and Judy :)

Hulkamaniac
March 26th, 2005, 3:18 PM
Someone watches Richard and Judy :)

Id severely doubt that Wedge does.

And the Ricky Gervais dance is the one lasting iconic scene that The Office produced.

The Great Dave
March 26th, 2005, 3:32 PM
It's also extremely unfunny. Maybe it's cos I've had to see dozens of unfunny people parody it, but I would happily go the rest of my life without seeing it again. I doubt I'll be that lucky.

Reech
March 26th, 2005, 5:29 PM
All I know is, I SO want to put my bosses coffee cup in a jello mold.

They kinda ruined that gag for the US version.

In the UK one it's much funnier, mainly due to 'Gareth' (the nerdy one) claiming that its annoying putting it in jello because

'He doesn't like the way it moves'

And refuses touch it and ergo can't get the stapler out of the jelly. Rather than 'he just does it cos its annoying/funny' for the sake of it. He does it to really get on Gareth's tits.

King101
March 26th, 2005, 7:53 PM
They kinda ruined that gag for the US version.

In the UK one it's much funnier, mainly due to 'Gareth' (the nerdy one) claiming that its annoying putting it in jello because

'He doesn't like the way it moves'

And refuses touch it and ergo can't get the stapler out of the jelly. Rather than 'he just does it cos its annoying/funny' for the sake of it. He does it to really get on Gareth's tits.

That scene is genius, the way earlier on Gareth wont let Tim use the stapler and has his name written on it i Tip-Ex then later after its been in the Jello when Tim drops it out the window;

Gareth: What if that kills someone?
Tim: They'll blame you becuase its got your name on it.
Gareth: Why would the killer write his name on the murder weapon?
Tim: To stop people from borrowing it.

Simon
March 27th, 2005, 7:47 AM
Just saw the trailer, pretty funny. A bit contrived maybe, the whole diversity day thing seems like an excuse to bring out racial stereotypes one after the other, but it still had a degree of subtlety about it. I'm surprised that the Americans have gone for some of those gags, I thought they really didn't like racism even if it's handled satirically.

Miotch
March 28th, 2005, 8:49 PM
Just saw the trailer, pretty funny. A bit contrived maybe, the whole diversity day thing seems like an excuse to bring out racial stereotypes one after the other, but it still had a degree of subtlety about it. I'm surprised that the Americans have gone for some of those gags, I thought they really didn't like racism even if it's handled satirically.
We have an entire network devoted to it. It's called UPN.

:dunno:

Bits
March 29th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I could be wrong about this, but I believe the reason this was remade for the US (same with Coupling) is because the BBC wont let the american networks show the originals, because they (the BBC) air them on BBC America.

I remember reading/seeing/hearing that somewhere, dunno how true it is though.

Reech
March 29th, 2005, 12:13 PM
I wish we had Pam instead of Dawn.

She's way hotter.

Seth
March 29th, 2005, 12:54 PM
I could be wrong about this, but I believe the reason this was remade for the US (same with Coupling) is because the BBC wont let the american networks show the originals, because they (the BBC) air them on BBC America.

I remember reading/seeing/hearing that somewhere, dunno how true it is though.

Thats not the only reason. Both money and culture were the main factors.

Wedge
March 29th, 2005, 4:20 PM
Though it could be a point, if companies have contracts with BBC America, then there'd be conflict issues with the networks and their affiliates.

Flash!
March 29th, 2005, 7:55 PM
Not seen the American version yet but i'll assume its better because there's no Ricky Gervais, he really is shite on screen. His writing is top notch tho.

Dave M
March 29th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Never seen the BBC version, but I've watched the first two US episodes.

I just think the boss character is way too over the top. He's funny, but his antics are just so overpoweringly outrageous, it gets a little annoying. The other characters seem way off in the background.

I'll keep watching, though, and hope they even things out eventually.

Reech
March 30th, 2005, 7:51 AM
The British version, he was even more annoying.

Miotch
March 31st, 2005, 3:17 PM
Line of the week:

"Gookie Gookie Gookie Gookie Gookie Gookie Gookie Gookie Gookie Gookie Gookie "

*slap*

I love this show.

Kris P. Lettus
March 31st, 2005, 3:37 PM
It came on Thursday night the first week and Tuesday night the second??

:wtf:

Anyway, the guy with glasses is "Bill" AKA "Fishboy" from House of 1,000 Corpses, FYI..

Miotch
April 1st, 2005, 5:41 PM
He was also the autistic guy from 6 feet under.

Irish Kamikaze
April 2nd, 2005, 7:20 AM
I saw a little bit of this show the other night at work on Bravo. the part where the boss was talking about what is the most important thing and it's people. he was saying that there was an....forgot the nationality, El Salvadorian(??) who worked at the job and just had a new born. he wanted the boss to be the godfather. he then went on to say that it's people like him who make work a great place to go to....then, he said that he let him go because he sucked

Wedge
April 2nd, 2005, 1:02 PM
It came on Thursday night the first week and Tuesday night the second??

:wtf:

I think they didn't want to go up against something else so they premeired it on a different night than it's intended slot. It was a bit weird though, wasn't it?

Reech
April 2nd, 2005, 3:40 PM
Man, the 2nd episode was so close to the bone.

I'm sure it offended a hell of alot of people.

Miotch
April 6th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Man, the 2nd episode was so close to the bone.

I'm sure it offended a hell of alot of people.

The 3rd episode wasn't much less offensive.

"Ok, who suffers from inverted penis?"

"Do you mean vagina? Cuz I want that covered."

"Fine, how about this one. Who suffers from rectal fissures, raise your hand."

"But, that's a real thing."

"But, no one suffers from it."

"SOMEONE does. :$ "

:rofl:

Reech
April 6th, 2005, 11:58 AM
I liked the 3rd one, t'was good.

Miotch
April 6th, 2005, 1:53 PM
I agree. It was the funniest yet, by far.

Kris P. Lettus
April 6th, 2005, 2:10 PM
The "Anal Fizzles" part was ROFL..

I missed the second episode cause, silly me to think that since it came on Thur. the first time that that was the night it'd be shown the next week..

:(

Miotch
April 6th, 2005, 2:32 PM
Think Pauly type humor. That was basically the whole episode.

The Great Dave
April 6th, 2005, 2:58 PM
I'm enjoying the series for sure. Episode 2 was the best if you ask me.

Reech
April 6th, 2005, 6:28 PM
I'm enjoying the series for sure. Episode 2 was the best if you ask me.

I just couldnt laugh to the 2nd one.

Now, I'm a liberal guy but some of the jokes were just a bit too biting for me to even laugh.

I just cringed.

Kris P. Lettus
April 6th, 2005, 6:29 PM
Did it have the "what race are you attracted to" part??

Cause that was hilarious on the ads..

Reech
April 6th, 2005, 6:33 PM
Yeah it did, but took it alot further.

I've got a bit-torrent link for the episode if you use BT Krisp.

Kris P. Lettus
April 6th, 2005, 6:36 PM
I don't..

:(

Kris P. Lettus
April 20th, 2005, 2:40 PM
The episode last night was f'n awesome.. I laughed pretty much the whole time..

Dave M
April 20th, 2005, 2:59 PM
Yeah, I think it was the best so far.

Got Dave?
April 20th, 2005, 4:01 PM
I just couldnt laugh to the 2nd one.

Now, I'm a liberal guy but some of the jokes were just a bit too biting for me to even laugh.

I just cringed.

Thats the whole point.

Reech
April 24th, 2005, 1:17 AM
The basketball one ruled.

StevieV
April 24th, 2005, 4:18 AM
The basketball one ruled.

It really did. I am impressed with this show.

When he was deciding who was gonna play :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reech
April 28th, 2005, 4:05 PM
I laughed so hard at this week's.

Probably better than last weeks.

J Feisty
April 29th, 2005, 1:40 PM
I laughed so hard at this week's.

Probably better than last weeks.

this weeks was hilarious, but why was it the "season finale" that doesnt make sense

Miotch
April 29th, 2005, 2:08 PM
this weeks was hilarious, but why was it the "season finale" that doesnt make sense
NBC committed for 6 episodes to start with, and they will probably bring it back either this summer or next fall to give it a full season run. At least, that's what NAPTE says.

Seanny One Ball
April 30th, 2005, 9:24 AM
6 episodes is a full season in Britain

StevieV
April 30th, 2005, 11:00 AM
I think you do mon...

Jason_HBK
April 30th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Oh man I love this show. Every episode has been hilarious, especially the last one.

Ryan: Do you want this Gatorade?
Micheal: What flavor is it?
Ryan: Blue.
Micheal: Blue is not a flavor.
Ryan: Blue Frost.
Micheal: Oh yeah, put it in the glove compartment.

Beefy
June 16th, 2005, 8:43 PM
BBC Three started showing this this week. And I've got to say that it is better than I thought it was going to be. I thought some of what the boss was doing seemed a bit forced when compared to Gervais' Brent, but a lot of that was probably down to it nly being the first episode which was so similar to the first British episode.

It wasn't as similar as I thought it was going to be though. There were a few big chunks missing, obviously to make up for the ad break bring there in the US version. I'll definately keep an eye out for the rest of the series.

Miotch
June 16th, 2005, 8:48 PM
Steve Korrell (not sure if I spelled his last name correctly) gives the role his own twist. If you're familliar with his humor I would imagine it would work a bit better for you.

Beefy
June 16th, 2005, 8:52 PM
Well he couldn't be Ricky Gervais because he isn't Ricky Gervais. I think I only picked up on anything because I'd seen the original so many times.

How many episodes were there in the US run?

Reech
June 16th, 2005, 8:59 PM
6 dude.

It gets better after the 1st show.

Simon
June 17th, 2005, 6:48 AM
The general opinion seems to be that the difference between Gervais and this guy is that this guy comes across as an actor playing the role of a guy who thinks he's funny but isn't, whereas Gervais actually comes across as a guy who thinks he's funny but isn't. It's much more obvious that this Corell guy is a comedian playing a role. The fe episodes I've seen have been funny, though.

Beefy
June 17th, 2005, 7:14 PM
Much as Gervais denies it, you can tell that David Brent [b]is/b] Ricky Gervais. Either that or he's the greatest actor of all time.

Dave M
August 19th, 2005, 7:37 AM
New season apparently premieres Sept 20th. Couldn't find any additional info. about it, though.

Reech
August 19th, 2005, 8:54 AM
I actually prefer teh American one to the Brit one :$

StevieV
October 7th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Its kept improving with season two

Miotch
October 7th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I agree. It's now deviated from the British version, and the overall quality of the episodes has improved in my opinion. That being said, the best episode Ive seen yet was in season 1 when Dwight was reworking the health benefits plan.

StevieV
October 7th, 2005, 2:29 PM
I really do love every episode, it hasn't been a let down at any point yet. I expected them to fail miserably, but this show has surely exceeded every expectation.

Seanny One Ball
October 7th, 2005, 7:23 PM
I just think that the choice of lead actor was fantastic.

That guy is a comic genius.

Reech
October 8th, 2005, 4:26 AM
Steve Carrell > *

G
October 11th, 2005, 9:54 PM
Ha ha, I'm watching it now.

Funny shit.

StevieV
November 16th, 2005, 12:04 PM
It managed to keep the quality up,

And i think i'm right in saying that now there have been 14 episodes and it looks like theres a lot left in the tank.

Stanley in the episode i downloaded last night "Yea i did hear it on the street, in the ghetto" bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

viva_la_raza
November 16th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Would you say this is better than the English one?

StevieV
November 16th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I would say definitely.

I loved the English version but posts from above are right Steve Carrell is immense.

Plus this is hopefully going to continue for a while yet....

StevieV
December 8th, 2005, 7:33 PM
Ahahahahahaha, just watched the latest episode...Christmas Party.

Possibly the best one yet.

Miotch
December 8th, 2005, 7:41 PM
OH MY GOD, A VIDEO IPOD!

Brian M.
December 8th, 2005, 7:49 PM
It's moving to Thursday nights too, which is probably seen as a step up since NBC is trying to re-create "Must See TV." I think Seinfeld began to take off when it moved to Thursdays as well.

I loved when Michael stormed off after he got the oven mitt. The whole episode was awesome really, just like the rest of them.

Miotch
December 8th, 2005, 8:14 PM
Michael, this is like, $400. There was a $20 limit.

No it wasn't. I got a deal from a guy I know at Apple.

No, it was $400.00. The tag is still on it.

StevieV
December 9th, 2005, 9:30 AM
ahahhahahahahaa

I just loved seeing Angela break down in tears...it was just brilliant

Canuck
January 27th, 2006, 3:17 PM
:heart: this show

Started watching lately and it's awesome. It kind of crashes with The O.C. though.

Ricky
January 28th, 2006, 12:43 AM
SALES RULES!

:yes:

Brian M.
February 3rd, 2006, 7:42 PM
"Why are men forced to use urinals when it's clearly more comfortable to sit?"

This show continues to be brilliant. I just hope they don't take the Jim/Pam storyline too seriously. Unfortunatley, I can already see the "Tomorrow on a special edition of the Office, Jim tells Pam how he really feels...or does he? MUST SEE TV!!"

Brian M.
March 17th, 2006, 2:26 AM
This show is getting better and better in my view. I think this scene was enough to justify a bump:

Michael: "I've always wanted kids of my own, so I'm joining an online dating service. Hmm, I have to enter a screen name. Let's see. Ah, I've got a perfect one. LittleKidLover. That way they know where my priorities lie."

Miotch
September 26th, 2006, 2:23 AM
*Bump*

Idiots.

virms
September 26th, 2006, 4:48 AM
You're so intelligent Mitch.

Miotch
September 26th, 2006, 5:32 PM
It's true.

Fro
October 20th, 2006, 4:32 PM
This show continues to be hilarious. Best live action comedy on tv, hands down. Who saw last night's episode? Dwight taking Ryan to the beet farm for salesman initiation had me on the floor.

Miotch
October 20th, 2006, 5:37 PM
Absolutely. When Ryan grabbed the seed out of his hand I literally spit water out my nose.

Brian M.
October 20th, 2006, 5:50 PM
The way Stanley hustled out the door and Michael casually strolled out after him when the pretzel announcement was made might've been my favorite scene of the season so far.

"No, no cutting. Boooo, booooooooo!"

Wedge
November 10th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Last night was a pretty high up there episode.

Classic moments:

Future Dwight.

Ryan: Of course this would happen today. When I receive in the mail these: 1000 business cards. All with this address and phone number.

Jim: Say what you will about Michael Scott...but he would never do that. (which was great after his "I figured the Scranton branch would close, when Michael sold it for some magic beans" crack)

Michael and Dwight: WE DID IT!...
What did we do?

Fro
November 10th, 2006, 1:01 PM
Agreed. Great episode. But then again, there's few that aren't. I also liked when Michael was rehearsing with Dwight about what to say to the executive when he got home. Dwight's role playing was hilarious. Next week should be good: 40 minutes long plus Jim returns to Scranton.

Dan The Man
November 11th, 2006, 9:31 PM
So, over the last week, through the power of the interweb, I have watched every episode. And I have one question:

Why didn't somebody punch me in the face and tell me to watch it sooner?

Amazingly fantastic. I can't get over how much I love it. I'm smiling just writing this post.

Normally, I would be extremely weary of a show starting something like the now inevitable Pam/StamfordGirl angle, but they've done so well with everything else that, although still hesitant, I'm also kind of anticipating how they go about it. They managed to get so much across about Jim and Pam through, not exactly subtle but let's say understated means (the best example certainly being any of the handful of episodes when a day would seem to be going terribly, but because of a brief encounter with each other, they remark about how good a day it was), that I think they can pull it off while keeping the focus on other, hilarious things.

dunno
November 12th, 2006, 1:00 AM
With the merger, I hope we get to see some Andy/Dwight scenes. I think that those two together would be hilarious.

Fro
November 12th, 2006, 5:52 PM
Is Andy coming to Scranton too? I sure hope so.

ZZ CAP EM HOOK ZZ
November 14th, 2006, 4:51 PM
I got into this show a little late but got all caught up. This show just keeps getting better. I hope someday Dwight gets another fax from the future.

RKO Evolution
November 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Is Andy coming to Scranton too? I sure hope so.

I'm pretty sure the producers like Ed Helms (aka Andy) so much he's there for the whole season. Andy and Dwight will battle for Michael's affection since Andy can't suck up to Josh anymore

Ian Taylor
November 15th, 2006, 11:57 AM
So, over the last week, through the power of the interweb, I have watched every episode. And I have one question:

Why didn't somebody punch me in the face and tell me to watch it sooner?

Amazingly fantastic. I can't get over how much I love it. I'm smiling just writing this post.

Same.

I've watched a shit-load of it through those streaming websites that various people have posted, and I can't believe it's taken me this long to come round to it.

I never gave it a chance to begin with. I thought there was no way they could compete with the Gervias version. I watched the pilot, and thought it was shit.

However, last week I watched all of Series 3 thus far, and I really think that they've now moved away from trying to be the British version, and have made a great comedy in their own right.

Everything about the show is near-perfect to me, and the episodes I've watched lately have made me laugh more than anything on TV in the last couple of years that hasn't featured Jimmy Carr.

RKO Evolution
November 15th, 2006, 11:18 PM
If you guys have the money to spare, the DVD's are worth the money. The bloopers and deleted scenes are excellent as well as the cast commentaries.

Fro
November 16th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Hilarious episode tonight. The merger was such a good idea for the show.

Just Joe
November 17th, 2006, 3:59 PM
"Follow me and I will show you where all the slaves work. Not...sl.."

Miotch
November 17th, 2006, 4:03 PM
Hilarious episode tonight. The merger was such a good idea for the show.

I completely agree. Bringing in fresh blood changes the dynamic of the entire show, and there are lots of little things that are going to be great.

For example, with Jim's desk facing the new hot girl and not Pam, you know that the connection and subtle things that went on previously with Pam will happen with the new girl, and Pam will inevitably get really jealous.

Dan The Man
November 17th, 2006, 4:29 PM
Dwight/Andy is going to be the greatest thing of all time.

MEET MY EYELINE MITCH.

Miotch
November 17th, 2006, 4:31 PM
I AM DAN.

*Continues to shake your hand*

Ian Taylor
November 17th, 2006, 7:51 PM
I'm just watching it now, and it's just got to the part where the new black guy is looking over at Sidney and does the whole fist-against-the-chest thing.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST :rofl: fwefwjufjuwufwenfww

That was fucking brilliant. The smile, the execution, Sidney's reaction... ahahahaha

Miotch
November 17th, 2006, 7:54 PM
Stanley*

Ian Taylor
November 17th, 2006, 7:55 PM
I just reopened the thread to correct that. :$

Miotch
November 17th, 2006, 7:57 PM
I'm here to help, Andrew.

StevieV
November 18th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Last nights episode may have been the best one yet. It was glorious. I loved Andy meeting Michael. Immense stuff.

But yea, love this show.

Purple_Monkey_Dishwasher
November 18th, 2006, 4:07 PM
don't know if this has been posted...
http://www.theofficedvd.com/dwight/

you can have dwight call someone. completely free.

Enzyme
November 18th, 2006, 6:11 PM
I'm just watching it now, and it's just got to the part where the new black guy is looking over at Sidney and does the whole fist-against-the-chest thing.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST :rofl: fwefwjufjuwufwenfww

That was fucking brilliant. The smile, the execution, Sidney's reaction... ahahahaha

As soon as I finished watching it, I was compelled to make a gif.

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/1230/stanleyownedhq6.gif

Fro
November 18th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Hilarious. Good work Enzyme. But the real reason I'm making this post is to show off my new Dwight sig. It's gotta be one of the best Dwight quotes ever.

J.C
November 19th, 2006, 8:30 AM
What day is the office on in the US? and is it every week or is there a big break coming up.

Just got into it on the streaming website and i love the series.

Dan The Man
November 19th, 2006, 1:57 PM
It airs on Thursdays. I don't think there's a big break, but it's not on next week because of Thanksgiving.

But I just saw that the episode when it returns on the 30th is a brand new Gervais/Merchant.

Stringer Bell
November 19th, 2006, 3:32 PM
I need to downoad/see the last 5 or so episodes of this, I've been missing it for some reason. How's this season been?

J.C
November 19th, 2006, 4:10 PM
http://www.tvlinks.voodeedoo.org

I have enjoyed it, you get to meet new characters which is good.

N.E.R.F.
November 19th, 2006, 4:47 PM
Watched the pilot a couple of years ago but am working my way through it properly now. Hilarious.

"Why... would you want to raise your cholesterol?"

"To lower it."

Dwight is fantastic and I'm in love with Pam.

virms
November 19th, 2006, 9:55 PM
Pam is a natural beauty. You can't help but smile a bit when she smiles.

RKO Evolution
November 20th, 2006, 2:47 AM
What day is the office on in the US? and is it every week or is there a big break coming up.

Just got into it on the streaming website and i love the series.

Nov. 23rd - No Office
Nov. 30th - The Convict
Dec. 7th - No Office
Dec 14th - Christmas episode (1 hour long)

N.E.R.F.
November 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Just watched the one with Dwight's speech :rofl:

N.E.R.F.
November 20th, 2006, 5:18 PM
All caught up now. Very interesting.

Billy Jones
December 15th, 2006, 2:40 AM
Very good episode tonight. There were so many good things going on, there's no way I could mention them all. A few of my favorite parts were Michael photo-shopping himself into a family picture of Carol and her kids, Michael marking his Asian girl's arm because he couldn't tell the two Asian girls apart, and pretty much ANYTHING Kevin said.

And of course Michael's philosophy of bros before hos...

"Bros before hos. Why? Because your bros are always there for you. They have got your back after your ho rips your heart out for no good reason. And you were nothing but great to your ho and you told her that she was the only ho for you and that she was better than all the other hos in the world....and then.....then suddenly she's not your ho no mo."

Fro
December 15th, 2006, 3:05 AM
That episode was solid enough, though not one of the greats. The ending was classic. "You've been compromised. Abort the mission and destroy this phone."

Croc
December 15th, 2006, 3:20 AM
This was the first episode of the Office I have ever seen and I think I am in love. This is the greatest thing on TV. I have never genuinely laughed as hard as I did when Steve Carell marked his Asian girlfriend with a marker.

Fro
December 15th, 2006, 3:34 AM
Go find the first two seasons on DVD immediately. Most of those episodes are even funnier than tonight's.

Brian M.
December 15th, 2006, 5:45 PM
I disagree, Frofiles. There may have been a few episodes last year that were just as funny as last nights, or maybe a little bit funnier. But that episode was among the best they've ever done.

Andy asking the Japanese waitress for "Nog-a-saki" was probably my favorite part. Though Kevin singing "You Oughta Know" was a close second.

Wedge
December 15th, 2006, 7:03 PM
I loved when Oscar came back, saw Angela singing, and went, "too soon" and left.

When Dwight stole Toby's bathrobe and Toby just looks up and says "Why?"

And "Permission to join the Validity Committee?"
"Hrmmm. Permission denied."
"DANG IT!"

Ian Taylor
December 18th, 2006, 1:09 PM
I literally just laughed so hard a bogey came out of my nose and landed on my arm.

The bit where Michael can't tell between the two Jap birds, so he cuddles one of them and marks her arm... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahhahahaahahahah aaha. Jesus fucking Christ. :rofl:

RRG
December 20th, 2006, 1:26 PM
I have never seen a show that has been this good against the odds and has improved with such consistency. It is amazingly done. The Michael-Andy relationship is the perfect allegory for how the show has grown, a Finchy doesn't really work with Michael like it did with Brent, and although Todd Packer was funny, I think Andy fits Michael Scott far better. Also due to the fact that Ed Helms has an amazing knack for stealing the show.

Fro
January 11th, 2007, 8:29 PM
New episode tonight.

Fro
January 18th, 2007, 10:06 PM

Tonight's episode was sooooooo great. Watch it.

Brian M.
January 19th, 2007, 1:27 AM
I believe Andy gradually losing control, then flipping out and everyone's subsequent reaction to it was my favorite part of this season so far.

I really hope Andy doesn't end up getting fired for his outburst. He's added so much to the show.

virms
January 19th, 2007, 4:42 AM
Seems they will be firing someone again though since Dwight is back. They definitely pointed out that he can do multiple people's work.

I also think it is a rather nice touch that they have set up multiple people who could be fired or could quit. Andy, Oscar and Karen are all in the running.

grimshaw
January 19th, 2007, 8:43 AM
I really liked this episode.

The writers managed to demonstrate everyone's affection for Dwight in a very understated way (except for Angela, but that makes sense). It's something that the British version did very well (with Tim and Dwight showing a solid friendship despite the ribbing), but had so far been pretty well absent from the US version. Well done.

I've loved the Andy character since his introduction and this episode was no exception. We've seen his 'dark side' before, briefly. Tonight, he snapped and lost a lot of what he had gained (re: Michael's favour) since coming to Scranton. I also hope they keep him around, as he's embarrassed himself in front of everyone and it will be interesting henceforth.

Michael's realisation that Andy was kissing his arse was gold.

Simon
January 19th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Really falling in love with this now. I'm working my way through the show from the start, about seven episodes of the way through the second series now. Great stuff. The Jim/Pam storyline is absolutely brilliantly done.

RRG
January 20th, 2007, 2:36 PM
The last episode was just absolutely glorious again. The genius of this is definitely taking my still raging mind off the loss of Arrested Development. I hope Andy doesn't leave but he has been back as a correspondent of the daily show for a while so who knows. My favourite bit was Phyllis's talking head. The way they manage to squeeze humour out of the side charachters is really a joy.

I think after Scrubs is beginning to jump the shark at the same time as the Office is really hitting new heights. I hope they don't just stop this because it has the potential to be as big as Seinfeld.

Brian M.
January 20th, 2007, 6:19 PM
I'm worried about how long Steve Carrell is going to stay on for. He seems to love the show, but he's getting more and more big movie projects. Does anybody know if he has a contract beyond this season?

Big
January 20th, 2007, 6:21 PM
I wonder who would fill in for Michael if he leaves or if the show would just get cancelled altogether?

Brian M.
January 20th, 2007, 6:23 PM
They'd probably have Dwight fill in, I would guess. He's the top salesman and he would make for the most entertaining fill-in. The show wouldn't be the same though.

RRG
January 20th, 2007, 6:27 PM
If Michael leaves the show should stop.

But at the moment NBC and the actors are very happy apparentley to build the show completely around his schedule so since it's presumably a job of passion that he is still getting paid tremendously for while able to do other stuff, there shouldn't be that much reason for him to rush to a stop.

grimshaw
January 20th, 2007, 6:49 PM
They'd probably have Dwight fill in, I would guess. He's the top salesman and he would make for the most entertaining fill-in. The show wouldn't be the same though.

When Brent was made redundant, Gareth took over.

Still, Jim is the 2IC, so he's first in line to take over. It would certainly be an interesting dynamic if Jim took over, that is, 'how can the dunder-mifflin employees cope when someone competent is their boss?'

RRG
January 20th, 2007, 9:03 PM
When Brent was made redundant, Gareth took over.

Still, Jim is the 2IC, so he's first in line to take over. It would certainly be an interesting dynamic if Jim took over, that is, 'how can the dunder-mifflin employees cope when someone competent is their boss?'

Tim was the first in line in the British office but he refused the job so Gareth could have it.

I just think it only worked in Britain because a) it was only for the christmas special and b) Brent was still the focus of the episode.

They have obviously taken the series to a place that nobody predicted, it had no rights to be this good, but the most impressive thing is how they've been so different but yet, remained so faithful. Replacing Michael Scott would just take away the legitimacy from the show.

If they absolutely had to they would have to bring in a new charachter to be the boss, if I was doing some dream casting, and Stephen Colbert magically had no job anymore, then he would be perfect. It would have to be somebody who could carry the comedy with the same brilliance as Carrel, but it couldn't just be a copy.

Simon
January 20th, 2007, 9:31 PM
The more I watch this show the more I notice differences between the English and American versions. Michael is MUCH more of a dickhead than David Brent is -
Brent is a bit of a twat but ultimately a nice enough guy, he's a sympathetic character...Michael is an arsehole most of the time, it's pretty rare that you feel any sympathy for him.

RRG
January 20th, 2007, 9:49 PM
The more I watch this show the more I notice differences between the English and American versions. Michael is MUCH more of a dickhead than David Brent is -
Brent is a bit of a twat but ultimately a nice enough guy, he's a sympathetic character...Michael is an arsehole most of the time, it's pretty rare that you feel any sympathy for him.

There's alot of differences, but I feel that's not really one of them, there are alot of moments that you feel sorry for him, especially when he plays the video of when he was a kid. I think it's just in the British series there wasn't as many episodes so they had to build sympathy in a short period of time, but with the American version they have time to play with so would rather spread the sympathy rather than force it upon you and for the show to become pap.

Simon
January 20th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Well I'm only halfway through the second series but the number of times he's just been an outright dickhead are countless, whereas I can't really think of many (any right now in fact, but I'm sure there were some) from the British series - any time Brent makes a dick of himself, it's from trying to impress people rather than from any nastiness. Michael seems to have a bigger nasty streak in him. It was particularly noticeable in the episode where Dwight gets a concussion and takes the attention away from Michael's foot injury - he ends up turning into a total arsehole, losing any sympathy the viewer might have had for him.

RRG
January 20th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I can definitely see your point there, I think you're right about that instance, he is incredibly selfish in that episode. But I obviously won't spoil it for you, but I think that, especially his relationship with Dwight changes in the third series alot.

Simon
January 23rd, 2007, 2:30 PM
Oh my days, just heard the best line so far in the last episode of Series 2. Michael has to keep two dates from seeing each other at the casino night and Dwight explains the plan:

We must deceive them so as not to hurt them, and in that way we honour them.

BRILLIANT!

The Great Dave
January 24th, 2007, 1:05 PM
I'm about 10 episodes in to season three now, Ed Helms is just amazing. I can't believe I've missed out on so much of this show. How does the second season rank up?

RRG
January 24th, 2007, 1:39 PM
I'd say it gets better with each season, first season was pretty sturdy, but nothing inspiring, second season had alot more brilliance in it and 3rd season is just wall to wall genius.

G
January 24th, 2007, 2:50 PM
Well I'm only halfway through the second series but the number of times he's just been an outright dickhead are countless, whereas I can't really think of many (any right now in fact, but I'm sure there were some) from the British series - any time Brent makes a dick of himself, it's from trying to impress people rather than from any nastiness. Michael seems to have a bigger nasty streak in him. It was particularly noticeable in the episode where Dwight gets a concussion and takes the attention away from Michael's foot injury - he ends up turning into a total arsehole, losing any sympathy the viewer might have had for him.

I don’t think it’s so much that the Michael character is an asshole; he just really does not realize the consequences of his actions. He just want’s to be liked and throws temper tantrums when he isn’t the center of attention… he doesn’t knowingly mean to be an ass.

Simon
January 24th, 2007, 9:04 PM
So good.

Simon
January 24th, 2007, 9:07 PM
I want to sex Jim's co-worker at Stanford. She's great.

Simon
January 24th, 2007, 9:08 PM
Karen.

http://api.ning.com/files/1374181?token=celgP8aUP%252BDtk1tOD4XLgfBtCsqsMkrL&size=medium

I love her :$

Brian M.
January 25th, 2007, 2:44 AM
I'd say it gets better with each season, first season was pretty sturdy, but nothing inspiring, second season had alot more brilliance in it and 3rd season is just wall to wall genius.

I actually prefer the second season right now, though that could easily change. The only reason I say this is because I thought there was something missing from the show when Jim was in Stamford. But now that they've moved him, Andy and Karen to Scranton, it's just unbelievabley good, and the last few episodes have been better than anything from season 2.

Miotch
January 25th, 2007, 4:11 AM
The Christmas episode was probably the funniest thing I watched in 2006.

grimshaw
January 25th, 2007, 4:53 AM
Rewatching an old episode, anyone else notice how Karen was originally meant to be ugly and annoying?

She appeared briefly in 301, and she had been made up to look 'stern' and plain, and complained about Jim. I love it when a character makes a sudden change like that.

RRG
January 25th, 2007, 5:49 AM
I don't think it was a sudden change, it was like Jim cracked away at her and won her over with finding her those crisps, then she was charmed by him.

grimshaw
January 25th, 2007, 7:34 AM
True about that, but you can see by her hair and makeup that they wanted her to be a boring anti-jim, and changed their minds pretty quickly.

The Great Dave
January 26th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I'm up to date with season three now.

*goes to download season two*

Simon
February 14th, 2007, 9:57 PM
That wedding episode was brilliant, one of the funniest episodes I've seen.

I like how they've got this storyline where Pam is so unhappy about not having Jim that she goes back to her ex, settling for second best. I thought when she split up with him that they were rushing to a finish with her and Jim getting together, assuming they do eventually get together the payoff will be incredible.

ZZ CAP EM HOOK ZZ
February 15th, 2007, 8:21 AM
I think its funny that Andy has just dissapeared. He had the break down and then is just gone.

Brian M.
February 15th, 2007, 2:03 PM
I heard that in one of the deleted scenes they show on NBC.com it was revealed he went in to an anger management course. So that explains that. Probably would've been better if he just disappeared though.

Fro
February 15th, 2007, 9:00 PM
New episode tonight, lads. :)

Simon
February 15th, 2007, 9:56 PM
WOOOOOOOOO I've started to love Fridays, I get to devour Scrubs and The Office in a neat little package, beautiful.

Fro
February 15th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Another spot-on episode tonight. Michael's lecture, everyone running/hiding from the bat, Jim the vampire... :lol:

Pam back with Roy really pisses me off though. :mad: But hey, that's good television for ya.

chotliwala
February 16th, 2007, 6:07 AM
The Jim vampire thing was hilarious. I really like how the show can focus on different characters each week yet still provides us with enough from the main characters.

Angela cowering on the ground was hilarious.

Ugly Face
February 22nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
JAN IS HOT.

Ugly Face
February 22nd, 2007, 10:04 PM
By-the-fucking-way:

http://photos-809.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v66/136/110/28110643/n28110643_33783809_5558.jpg

Fro
February 22nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Tonight's episode was excellent. :)

Simon
February 23rd, 2007, 10:51 AM
Yup, another great episode. Glad they killed off the Pam romance thing, hopefully for good.

Bad Obsession
February 23rd, 2007, 11:16 AM
By-the-fucking-way:

http://photos-809.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v66/136/110/28110643/n28110643_33783809_5558.jpg
:bowdown: :drool:
How anyone can think Dawn is even worthy of licking her toes is beyond me.

When Dwight threw the binbag over Meredith's head and they had a scuffle at the end of the last episode was fantastic, as was Dwight narrating Jim's walk to his car.

Fro
February 23rd, 2007, 2:15 PM
Yup, another great episode. Glad they killed off the Pam romance thing, hopefully for good.

Yes! You could see they were going nowhere the second time around, so it's good that they didn't let it drag on any further (which I thought they were going to). The Jim/Roy confrontation should be exciting.

"I'm going to kill Jim Halpert"

:eek: :scared:

Also, Dwight inspecting the house was hilarious (in the kid's bedroom!!! :rofl:), as was the Michael/Jan conversation on the way home (with Dwight popping up from the backseat... :lol:).

Simon
February 23rd, 2007, 7:46 PM
Oh man, Dwight in the kid's bedroom was hysterical. "Good, you're up".

Beer-Belly
February 23rd, 2007, 8:19 PM
I loved how they made us care about Roy only to turn him back into a fat headed ass.

Big
February 23rd, 2007, 8:51 PM
does anyone know where i can download these shows?
in the freeish pricerange?

Miotch
February 23rd, 2007, 10:38 PM
I assume they're on NBC.com, otherwise try peekvid.com or tv-links.co.uk

Fro
February 26th, 2007, 1:31 PM
http://www.fanpop.com/spots/the-office-%2528us%2529/links/18767

Rainn Wilson AKA Dwight's SNL monologue. It's a spoof of the show. Pretty funny.

chotliwala
February 26th, 2007, 8:11 PM
http://www.fanpop.com/spots/the-office-%2528us%2529/links/18767

Rainn Wilson AKA Dwight's SNL monologue. It's a spoof of the show. Pretty funny.

Sad that SNL has to copy other shows in order to get laughs nowadays.

Regardless, if I could rep you I would.

Ricky
February 26th, 2007, 8:57 PM
Great episode this week. Can't wait to see how the whole Jim/Roy thing works out.

Also, fuck off with the SNL hate. It's improving steadily.

chotliwala
February 26th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Also, fuck off with the SNL hate. It's improving steadily.

Yeah I agree. I think the addition of Samberg and Wiig really freshened up the cast. I really think that it's better than it was maybe 2-3 years ago, but it's well below what it used to be and the episodes are really hit or miss.

Fro
February 27th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Sad that SNL has to copy other shows in order to get laughs nowadays.

SNL HAS ALWAYS SPOOFED OTHER SHOWS.

But yea, it's definitely cyclical and even though it's still in a slump it's been on the rise lately. I also like Jason Sudeikis.

Simon
March 1st, 2007, 8:39 PM
Can't wait for the new episode. I doubt Jim will get beaten in, though.

Fro
March 1st, 2007, 8:49 PM
Yea it should be good. Repeat tonight though. :no:

Simon
March 1st, 2007, 9:00 PM
:eek: No new Office? FUCK OFF.

Brian M.
March 2nd, 2007, 2:59 AM
No new Office for the next six weeks, I believe. :nono:

Ian Taylor
March 2nd, 2007, 10:49 AM
Why can't you bloody yanks just run a TV show properly?

First Lost, then Jericho, and now this too?

:mad:

StevieV
March 2nd, 2007, 1:03 PM
Oh ffs! I just watched the bat one, which was amazing, then i watched last weeks one which was even better.

Now theres no new one?

Bastards.

Best show on tv in my opinion though. I started laughing just reading the last page of this thread.

grimshaw
March 2nd, 2007, 8:04 PM
This blows arse.

I like it when they take their break early, like Lost, or start late, like 24.

kaiken
March 14th, 2007, 4:44 AM
Oh ffs! I just watched the bat one, which was amazing, then i watched last weeks one which was even better.

Yea, we gotta wait till April for the next new batch. Damn.

And I was really impressed with how Joss Whedon directed the bats episode. I loved how he brought in little things here and there that showed his touch without ever changing anything about the show. Like an invisible hand, almost.

Simon
April 6th, 2007, 1:33 PM
Ahahahaha the intro to the latest episode was superb. WHO'S LAUGHING NOW.

grimshaw
April 7th, 2007, 3:15 AM
ANDY'S BACK, BABY!

That is all.

Just Joe
April 7th, 2007, 6:30 AM
Hiro from Heroes, THAT'S a hero. Also Bono.

:rofl: Cracking episode.

Kris
April 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Who's laughing now?

Fro
April 7th, 2007, 4:34 PM
Pipity popity, give me the zopity.

Raw Is Jonathan
April 7th, 2007, 5:11 PM
Never watched this, but love Carrell and UK Office, worth checking on DVD?

Bad Obsession
April 7th, 2007, 5:15 PM
The latest ep is probably the best ever done I reckon. Fucking loved it from start til finish.

Dwight was legendary. I'll pay for a gif of him macing Roy. :yes:

Fro
April 7th, 2007, 5:16 PM

YES

Simon
April 7th, 2007, 5:51 PM

If I was comparing the two, I'd say that the individual episodes of the UK version are better, but if you're willing to invest the time and effort into watching the entire three seasons (so far) of the US version, it's a superior show. The increased amount of screen time they have to build characters and relationships gives the show a greater depth. In terms of individual episodes it's not far off the UK version anyway, it's fucking brilliant.

Kris
April 8th, 2007, 8:09 AM
Dwight is far superior to Gareth.

Simon
April 8th, 2007, 8:17 AM
Yeah, I prefer his intensity and genuine creepiness to Gareth's fairly innocent nerdiness.

Kris
April 8th, 2007, 8:26 AM
Andy: Oompa loompa, doompadee dawesome, Dwight is now gone, which is totally awesome. Why was he gone, he was such a nice guy. No, he was not, he was a total douche. Doompadee doom.

Also Creed doesn't get enough love.

grimshaw
April 8th, 2007, 8:35 AM
Creed isn't funny at all. He and the alcoholic woman are really stupid, cheap characters.

Moreover, Dwight's unrealistic schtick is funny, but the realism of Gareth is far creepier. I, for one, know ten Gareths.

If I had to name characters in the US version that are 'better' than the originals, I'd say Pam and (the newly included) Toby. These are the only 'characters in the US version that approach the 'reality' of the original.

The Imperfect
April 8th, 2007, 2:48 PM
Dwight pepper spraying Andy and then having Toby confiscate Dwight’s nunchaku, throwing stars, tonfa/nightstick, taser etc was one of the greatest endings ever.

Canuck
April 8th, 2007, 4:53 PM
Creed and Maredith are the little additions to the show that make it that much better. Both are hilarious when involved.

Simon
April 9th, 2007, 5:44 PM
Can someone remind me which episodes Andy turns up and leaves?

Wedge
April 9th, 2007, 6:53 PM
In what context? He showed up in the first episode this season, but that was at the other office with Stanford office with Jim. I can't remember the exact episode where he completely lost it, though. And he "finished his anger management" this past episode.

grimshaw
April 9th, 2007, 8:12 PM
Creed and Maredith are the little additions to the show that make it that much worse. Both are unnecessary when involved.

Better. Creed's okay (though completely one-dimensional), but Meredith is a single, cheap joke. We get it, she drinks.

Thankfully she seems to be basically gone now. Toby is the new character with the most depth.

kaiken
April 9th, 2007, 8:19 PM
Can someone remind me which episodes Andy turns up and leaves?

Andy was sent to anger management after the cell phone prank in the episode with the bat, coincidentally directed by Joss Whedon, called "The Return." He just came back in the most recent episode, as has already been stated.

And Creed's one of those characters that's so unapologetically insensitive, it's funny. He just doesn't care anymore. He's good for the occasional one-liner or just general weirdness in the background. His klepto schtick is always funny, come on now.

But Toby, by far, has fared the best. That one scene during Phyllis' wedding, the "Toby. YEAH!" just made my day.

Fro
April 26th, 2007, 8:03 PM
New episode tonight folks.

Brian M.
April 27th, 2007, 3:10 PM
Better. Creed's okay (though completely one-dimensional), but Meredith is a single, cheap joke. We get it, she drinks.

Thankfully she seems to be basically gone now. Toby is the new character with the most depth.

What? Creed is amazing. "The only difference between me and a homeless guy is this job." COME ON.

Last night's episode was amazing. It was basically a fluffy, full on comedy episode with no big developments in Jim/Pam/Karen, but god that was funny stuff.

Wedge
April 27th, 2007, 6:02 PM
Question. What kind of bear is better?

Incorrect. The answer is black bear.

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Simon
April 28th, 2007, 7:26 PM
I thought that episode was a little directionless but was funnier for it - concentrated on the jokes like Brian M. said. Jim and Dwight's impressions of each other and especially Kevin's Australian accent were hilarious.

grimshaw
April 28th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Not that funny if you're Australian, trust me.

Highlights: Andy, as usual.

Lowlights: Kelly - do something with her character sometime.

Anyone who downloaded, did you pause and read Michael's cue cards? They were awesome. It was something like:

"I need this job. My mortgage is hundreds of dollars a week. I can barely afford to pay it as it is."

Simon
May 4th, 2007, 6:44 AM
The latest episode is absolutely chock-full of FANTASTIC stuff. Michael justifying his position as leader of the Women's Appreciation Society with "I know the crap out of women" was brilliant.

I was genuinely close to tears of laughter when Michael bemoans society's demand that women be "tall, skinny goddesses" by asking whether that's truly the case, looking at Phyllis and saying that they are not, before looking at Pam and saying (paraphrased) "even the hot ones aren't that skinny", before the camera pans out to show Dwight looking Pam up and down...fucking hell, that was expertly done. This show is awesome. The best show on TV at the moment.

Beer-Belly
May 6th, 2007, 9:32 AM
'Office' ready to face big boys
Move to 9 on Thursdays would be bold
By RICK KISSELL

Between "Grey's Anatomy" and "CSI," the Thursday 9 o'clock hour is already one that's responsible for a lot of TiVo use.
But what if another popular DVR draw, "The Office," joins the party too?

It could happen next fall if NBC makes an aggressive move that would put its hottest comedy -- currently airing at 8:30 p.m. -- in the timeslot that once inhabited "Seinfeld," "Cheers" and "Frasier."

Both tonight and next Thursday, "The Office" will extend well into the 9 o'clock half-hour with "super-sized" episodes, giving Peacock programmers a chance to see how the single-camera workplace comedy fares in tougher waters prior to announcing the net's fall sked May 14.

As it is right now, NBC is competitive in the opening hour of Thursday with "My Name Is Earl" and "The Office" but then drops off sharply at 9 with "30 Rock" and "Scrubs."

One schedule scenario that would strengthen the comedy block as a whole would be for the net to place its best new comedy prospect in the 8:30 slot behind "Earl," and then shift "The Office" to 9. "30 Rock" or a new show could go at 9:30.

It's a roll of the dice, but the timing is right.

In its third season, "The Office" is averaging a 4.1 rating/11 share in adults 18-49 (roughly 5.4 million viewers in this age bracket), putting it on par with Fox's "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy" and, among all comedies, behind only CBS' "Two and a Half Men."

"Earl" and "The Office" aired in the 9 o'clock Thursday hour a year ago at this time, but that was before ABC made its own bold move months later by sending "Grey's Anatomy" there.

This season, the medical drama has become TV's No. 1 scripted series and regularly beats "CSI," but both shows are in the top 10.

The addition of "The Office" to the mix would make it a tough three-way choice for a lot of viewers, but each series is distinct. And we've seen examples in recent years of multiple shows working in the same timeslot (i.e., "Survivor" and "Friends" for a few years earlier this decade).

It would be an especially tough choice for adults 18-34, as the shows each rank among the season's top dozen in this age group: "Grey's" at No. 3, "CSI" at No. 10 and "The Office" at No. 12.

NBC could always shift "The Office" back to 8:30 if it takes too much of a ratings hit at 9, but it's worth the risk.

If it is to reclaim its four-laffer "Must-See" status on Thursday, the first step is having "The Office" clock in at a new time.
Fuck NBC. Fuck them right in their throat. The Office doesn't need to be an hour and it certainly doesn't need to be thrown up against the most popular moron shows on television.

kaiken
May 6th, 2007, 3:41 PM
Fuck NBC. Fuck them right in their throat. The Office doesn't need to be an hour and it certainly doesn't need to be thrown up against the most popular moron shows on television.

I think you've got a little bit of a misconception here. The supersize episodes only last about ten minutes more than a regular episode. The last episode was supersized and it went to 40 minutes long, if I remember correctly. There's no mention of any hour long episodes of the Office. Though, I do question the move to 9.

cactusmaac
May 6th, 2007, 3:51 PM
I actually liked the last supersize episode more than the regular length ones. The plot threads had more room to breathe.

kaiken
May 6th, 2007, 4:30 PM
I enjoy these supersized episodes, too. They're longer, but they never feel that way. They just flow so well.

And the next few episodes are gonna be supersized as well, I believe, so that's always a plus!

Fro
May 6th, 2007, 5:24 PM
The season finale will be an hour. I also love these extra long episodes - how can more of The Office be a bad thing?

As for the time slot, I think The Office can contend with Grey's and CSI. It's the funniest thing on TV and a lot of people are starting to realize this. I don't watch either of those shows though so I couldn't care less.

Beer-Belly
May 6th, 2007, 8:48 PM
I think you've got a little bit of a misconception here. The supersize episodes only last about ten minutes more than a regular episode. The last episode was supersized and it went to 40 minutes long, if I remember correctly. There's no mention of any hour long episodes of the Office. Though, I do question the move to 9.

Ah, well I read it off CHUD first and they mentioned it being beefed up to an hour.

Brian M.
May 6th, 2007, 9:12 PM
There is talk of them making The Office an hour long next year along with moving it's timeslot. The show really does need to be an hour. Have you seen the DVDs? They tape a ton of extra shit, and most of it is just as funny as the stuff that makes the show. They had to leave the revelation that Andy had gone to anger management off of one episode this season because they just didn't have the time. Seemingly everyone on the cast and crew want to go to the hour, so I fail to see how it would be a bad move. If they move it to 9, I'm more confident about the show surviving. Even if it takes a hit, it will surely do better than Scrubs and 30 Rock are doing now, and it's doubtful NBC would find another show that would be more competitive in that timeslot.

Simon
May 7th, 2007, 5:19 AM
The normal episodes are 22 minutes, and the newer ones are 28 minutes...it's not that big a difference, really - certainly the extra 6 minutes doesn't seem to water down the laughs. In fact, I genuinely had no idea the last episode was longer until just now when I looked at the file size. The Office absolutely whizzes by - on current TV, only this and Peep Show have that ability to be so consistently good that I end up feeling like it's over before it's started.

It's hard to say whether going to an hour would be a good idea - that's nearly a 300% increase in show time, after all...but on the other hand, The Office is one of the few shows that never seems to have any filler, never seems to dip in quality - so maybe it could sustain that kind of time slot. Having said that, very few shows have managed to keep up the quality over a long period of time with extended shows - even my favourite show ever, Only Fools And Horses, lost a bit of its humour when it went to 48 minutes instead of 28 minutes, with more filler and drama rather than comedy.

grimshaw
May 7th, 2007, 6:29 AM
Just keep making more of this.

I don't care about all the other crap...just make more episodes.

cactusmaac
May 7th, 2007, 6:50 AM
I'm hoping Karen sticks around for a long time. She outpoints Pam in just about every department.

Kris
May 7th, 2007, 7:01 AM
Whoever said Kelly is a low point is massively wrong.

This day is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

grimshaw
May 7th, 2007, 7:08 AM
I'm hoping Karen sticks around for a long time. She outpoints Pam in just about every department.

Karen-from-behind.

Simon
May 7th, 2007, 7:12 AM
Whoever said Kelly is a low point is massively wrong.

This day is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S.
Yeah, she's good at what she does...plus she's necessary to get the best out of Ryan.

That reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask for a while - how do you lot read the relationship between Jim and Ryan? At first they seemed to get on, in fact they were friends...but then when Jim came back and saw that Ryan had taken his desk, ever since then there seems to be a friction between them - I can't work out whether they genuinely dislike each other or it's a joke between them. I'd be sure of it being the former if it wasn't for the bit in one episode where Ryan won't help Jim play a prank on Dwight, Jim says "I liked you better when you were the temp" and Ryan says ""Yeah, me too"...the way that bit happened made it seem like it was a bit of a joke, they still get on but because Ryan has more responsibility now he's not really on the same wavelength as Jim any more.

I dunno.

grimshaw
May 7th, 2007, 7:58 AM
I think Ryan looks up to Jim as a cool guy, but he looks down on him, too, for two reasons:

1) He sees Jim as being 'stuck' in his job. It's the same reason Ryan looks down on EVERYONE in Dunder-Mifflin - because he's at business school and has aspirations, he thinks he's better than them (the irony, of course, is that he's just as stuck as they are), AND

2) He can see Jim's faults, and see what he's hiding - that is, he can plainly tell (like the audience) that Jim is still dying for Pam.

Fro
May 10th, 2007, 7:30 PM
New ep tonight, and from the description it should be a good one.

The Office Survivor!!!

:D

Billy Jones
May 11th, 2007, 9:31 AM
Great episode last night. It seems that the logical/obvious way to go would be to have Karen get the corporate job since we know Michael and Jim aren't going to leave the show. Then, Jim could be with Pam. :) But of course, all that is probably too logical/obvious.

Oh yeah, and what was Andy trying to do when he fell into the water last night? I couldn't really tell.

grimshaw
May 11th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I think the most likely (and it would be best) scenario is none of them getting it.

They can run the tension between them for a few episodes into series 4, as the decision is made (probably a multiple interview process), and then just have them all fail. That way you get the conflict of them all going for the same job, and don't have to lose a character.

Fro
May 11th, 2007, 2:16 PM
Last night was one of the funniest episodes this show has ever produced, I thought. Great stuff all around.

-Toby getting left behind
-Stanley going crazy on Jim in the sumo match
-Dwight yelling at temp, temp getting pissed
-Angela letting Andy float away
-Pam's speech was awesome.. :heart:

And that's just the stuff I remember. Definitely gonna re-watch it as soon as I find it streamed.

Simon
May 11th, 2007, 7:28 PM
Very odd episode this week, not sure I liked it quite as much as usual...the change of location didn't suit, IMO.

Was fantastic to see Pam stand up for herself, though - one of the most sympathetic characters in any show in recent years.

grimshaw
May 11th, 2007, 9:12 PM
I certainly like her more than Dawn.

Canuck
May 11th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Wait, women appreciation wasn't the latest episode? I'm just catching up, btw.